Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oops, wrong link. Try this one (October's report).

Check out the maintenance and repair costs at the bottom.

Steve, Host

• tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I have owned this SE Sport DC since new. It now has 166K miles on it. New tranny was put in by Chrys. at 100K miles. Engine is a 3.3. Unit has tow package for my boat tailoring. My beef is that they don't offer a 2002-03 shorty with the tow package any more! Why? I like a shorter van for parking and moving around and need the package for my 2200lbs boat. Dealer strongly advises against getting a shorty without tow...so I'm stuck looking at the MPV which is shorter and can tow 3K lbs with the 4 season package. I think Dodge is missing a mkt. segment and underestimating the demand for short mini's.
    PS: Knock on plastic, my 95 3.3 is holding up pretty well. I do change the oil every 3K miles!
    I'm gonna hate parting with the old boy soon.
  • dhiggin02dhiggin02 Member Posts: 5
    We have a dodge caravan sport (2001 year) and so far, it's great. No problems, quiet ride, nice design. Anyone here with power sliding doors and liftgate, could you reply on here and tell whether or not they're something that you think you needed now that you have them. I read on here that the edmunds.com test drivers liked the manual three zone climate control more than the automatic because the buttons were small and the slide dials were just easier to set to what felt comfortable.

I think the biggest downside to power windows in the back is that they can only be opened by the driver (not even the front passenger) and if the driver's busy, then it's just a pain. Is there a reason for not putting a button for each window in the back to so those passengers can operate the windows? Small problem but for as much as you pay, they should do it.

Also, small thing but why did they make the locks so that when you have them down, they still poke at your elbow when you rest it on there. Our 95' plymouth voyager was more comfortable to rest your arm on.
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    to answer the above questions:

the power doors are nice to have and a nice thing is that the motor does not activate when the door is opened or closed by hand. the power liftgate is great. when I first got the van I thought it was a big toy. However, it does come in handy when my hands are full of groceries or sales presentation materials. If you get one look for a lot of curiosity when you use it around other people. Many people don't know that this feature exists yet.

As for the HVAC, I do not agree with what edmunds says. Except for the temp controls the switchgear is the same as the manual system. I love the automatic system although I think the system is too quick to run the A/C compressor when its not really needed (although I can see its reasoning in running it to dehumidify the car). One thing I like as compared to other automatic HVAC system I've had is that the caravan's system has auto hi and lo so you can choose whether the desired temp. should be reached quickly or slowly.

If this is confusing just email me with any questions. Trust me, I was one of those "I'll never drive a minivan especially a DC" but once you drive one there's no going back.

PS: I have 800 miles on mine in three weeks. With mostly city driving a about 25-30% highway miles, I'm averaging about 16 mpg with the 3.8, 17" tires/rims, and autostick EPA 17/23. Is this normal or should I give the engine more miles before I take the van in to have it checked out. Most of the driving has been in cool and/or rainy weather (I live in the DC area and since I bought this van 10/25/2002 its been cold or raining go figure).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    16 mpg on a new engine in mostly city driving is no big deal. My '99 GCS with the 3.8 averages between 15-18 in the city. Wait a bit, also see what you get on highway driving.
    I just wanted to know what regular people thought of the automatic climate controls. I think edmunds.com is hard on chrysler (maybe because they have been the leaders in minivan production) and they want to complain about everything they produce. Chrysler is always coming up with innovative things and let's face it, they make the best looking interiors (especially the center control system on the dashboard) and exteriors.

There are alot of times I think the power doors would be nice in different situation but not yet the liftgate but it's definately a plus feature in my opinion.
  • joel_in_nolajoel_in_nola Member Posts: 6
    6000 miles, 6.5 months old, No major mechanical defects, still has those rust spots, though, a light sealant coating applied at the behest of the dealership seems to have stopped it from spreading until they can fit us in their maintenance schedule (seems that they've got plenty of 97-99 Caravans in for some strange reason...).

Anyway, just got through taking a ~500 mile drive down I-10 from New Orleans to Port Neches Texas and back for a wedding. 5 people, 1 baby, packed for an overnight. Trip computer computed 20.8 Mpg round trip, I calculated 20.9 based on fillups. This is much better than a couple of months ago going back and forth to Gulf Shores, Al. Differences: Milleage (the engine may be more broken in), ambient temperature (it was in the mid fifties for this trip, around 90 for the last one), and Air Conditioner Usage (we didn't have it on at all this time, except occassionally to clear the windshield, last time, it ran at full blast constantly).

Overall mileage has risen to around 17 MPG for mostly short trip city driving. I plan to start the calculations from scratch at 10,000 miles to see what a broken in engine will do.

One comment, the 3.3L really likes cool air. It felt like a different engine under the hood. I think that the engine may have more top end in it with some minor intake modifications. It seems to be choking at the upper ranges of its RPM.
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    a new light almond Voyager. I traded in a 2001 Mazda MPV that I really liked except for the incredibly ragged transmission that I finally decided I couldn't live with any more. I'd had and loved a 94 Voyager, so I came back, and in the first three days, no regrets. The ride is as soft and plush as I remembered it, the transmission is nearly as smooth as glass--and will get more so after it settles in-- and the car has a couple of things my 94 didn't have. First, much improved handling. The one thing I held against the 94 was the totally mushy handling--decidedly unfun to tool around. The other thing the new one has is a 7-year warranty on the power train, relieving me of my one big worry about the DC vans.

Glad to be part of the DC family again.

RJ
    Congrats RJ (I won't tell the MPV fans if you don't ). The Voyager still has the "short" wheelbase yes? Any comments about the turning and parking in tight quarters compared to the MPV?

Steve, Host
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the good wishes. I've been trying to figure out a nice way of telling Java, Alex,Maltb and the rest. I really hate that I gave up on "The Prez," and I know they'll be disapppointed that I did.

The Voyager comes exclusively in the swb. One of the gripes I had about my 94 was that it always took two tries to get it into a parking spot--once to get the nose part way in and then a second time to get it straightened out in the slot. One of the first things I checked on the test drive was how it parked. I was relieved to find out that it scoots into a parking slot as smoothly as the MPV did. And in fact, the overall handling seems much improved in 9 years. The thing is almost as much fun to drive as the MPV was. It corners almost as well and holds the road confidently on the sharp twisting curves so common here in Western Pa. So far so good.

RJ
    I've noticed ads recently for what I think is a new model Caravan, the SXT. Equipment-wise, price-wise, and size-wise, it appears to me to be aimed directly at the MPV. Dealers in my town are selling it for as little as $19,000 (advertised price). Anyone driven this model yet?
    I know there's a Durango SXT but haven't seen the Caravan SXT yet. DC came out with the E something (EX, ES. eL?) last year or so to compete head to head with the two Odyssey flavors, so it'd make sense to target the MPV too.

Steve, Host
    There is no such thing as a Caravan SXT. Dodge does offer an eL and eX trim which have a low dealer holdback and are not eligible for rebates or financing. The ES is caravan's flagship model that has been in production since at least 1991 and is the equivelant of the Town and Country LXi or Limited.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I just saw a commercial for the Dodge Caravan SXT so there is in fact a model with this name. I don't know if it's on the website yet, but I just saw a commerical for it. I don't know how to prove that I saw one, but I did :-)
    Was it a national or local dealer ad? Maybe the local dealer is swapping badges around, lol.

The mystery deepens!

Found two ads:

2003 Dodge Caravan SXT
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Steve, Host
    Looked at the SXT ads and I know what Dodge is doing and its a winner. They tok the basic features everyone wants (quads, dual a/c, keyless) and put it with the exterior of the es (chrome wheels, bright accents). Looking at the pics on the web I couldn't tell the $24k SXT from the $37k ES. If they offered the SXT when I bought my ES I would have thought twice about spending the extra $14k.
    Keep in mind that the SXT is the short-wheelbase van. Still a nice package for the price, very competitive with the MPV.
  • kdh4kdh4 Member Posts: 1
    I am stationed in Germany. Bought a 96 GC ES in Feb 01. I have a vibration in the vehicle that neither the military car shop or the local dodge dealer can identify or fix. At about 55 the vehicle starts to shake, at 65 things get worse and by 80 (autobahn passing usually) the whole vehicle is shaking. Sometimes to the point my 2yr old son vomits. We have rotated,replaced, and aligned the tires twice, replaced the shocks, replace the stabilizer bars, and the driver side half shaft (with a refurbished half shaft). Replaced the rims with those from another GC w/out the vibration.
    Nothing helped
    Now they want to replace both half shafts with new ones, replace the rear brake pads and rotate the drums, and replace the rotors. Total will be $550.00 for parts and labor on top of the above repairs. Any ideas what is causing this problem??? Thanks for your help
  • zargon1zargon1 Member Posts: 1
    The Caravan SXT does, in fact, exist. I bought one this week. Great package of options at a great price. I bought mine at factory invoice minus $3000 in cash rebates. So far, a great vehicle.
    There's a dealer in Terrell, TX (near DFW) selling Caravan SXTs for $18,398, including a free portable DVD or VHS player. Anybody in that area who can take advantage of that deal, here's the link:

http://richmond.digitalcity.com/dallas/autos/hotdealpage.adp?deal=40794

Why isn't that model on the dodge website? They show SE, Sport, Grand SE, EL, Sport, EX, and ES but no SXT? Hum....
    Many automakers' web sites are handled by third parties and are not kept up to date very well; e.g., Kia's U.S. site doesn't have most of their 2003 models on it yet, and Hyundai's just updated their site with info on 2003 models a few days ago.
    I've looked around dealers websites and cannot find anything on what the SXT has feature-wise. What exactly does the package contain as compared with the current lineup of models?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I have seen a few generic-not dealer newspaper print adds for short wheel base Caravan SXT in SE Wisconsin. Looks like they have really packaged all the desirable features most people want without packing a lot of frill extras. Ads listed following: 3.3 V-6, sixteen inch alloy wheels, quad seats, remote locks for just under $20K. Might have been a few other options, but I'm doing this from memory. With additional bargaining at dealers, it looks like this is a real winner option package for a reasonable price.

If we were in the market for a new one, the SXT package would about perfectly meet our needs. However, our '96 short wheelbase Caravan Sport should still have quite a few years left. At 63k miles it has been great except for the AC which failed last summer.
  • klm90klm90 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 7 day old SXT in my driveway! I absolutely love it. Every feature that I wanted was standard - Quad seating, remote keyless, V-6
    I was told that it is being test marketed and not available everywhere. Maybe that is why you can't find it???
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Ah, finally someone else has the same problem. I also have a 96 T&C. It begins to vibrate at 65 mph and gets worse as it goes higher. What I've done in the last year and a half---new frt shks, NEW half shafts, new tires, took off wheel covers, new rotors, balance 4 times, alignment, frt hub bearings, put tires from a friends GC on and drove - same vibration - dealer has given up; extended warranty just ran out; the only thing left to do is rear hub bearings ($200 each, for just parts). By the way, does kdh stand for Kill Devil Hills? Let me know if you get anywhere with your problem.
    We have a 2001 dodge caravan sport. Can somebody explain what the fuel tank leak is about and whats being done and who is affected.
    It's time to re-tire my '99 GCS. It still has the original Michelins with 36,000 miles, and the tread is worn enough that I don't want to go through another Minnesota winter with them. The Michelins have been good tires, but replacements are pricey. I did some research on the Web and found many positive comments from owners of Goodyear Regatta 2's, including some DC minivan owners. I can get these (215/65-16) for $75 each plus balancing and old tire disposal. Anyone have these tires? What do you think of them?
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    I would suggest what I do in Denver. Warm months, Pirelli P400. Snow months good studded snow tires. It costs an extra $400 or so up front, (over half comes back in delay to next tire purchase) and is less than my deductable for a winter icy accident. I also justified buying a Sears compressor last summer so I could change tires more easily (+ blow out my sprinkler). Roy
  • handy6699handy6699 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Anyone know who sells grill guards for Chrysler MiniVans? Thanks in advance.
    Studded snow tires are not an option in some (maybe many?) states. They were banned here in Wisconsin many years ago due to the large amounts of wear they caused on the roads-ruts were actually getting rapidly worn into highly travelled roads, even if they were concrete.

I am not sure if Minnesota followed suit. I have gotten by with all season radials for many years. Our highway crews are geared up for heavy snows. They plow a lot and use a lot of salt. Of course
    it also shows up on our tax rates here in Taxeconsin!
    Handy, I guess you talking about "bull bars" that stick out from the front? Never seen any on a minivan, but you may want to look at the Bumper Guards for NYC Street Parking discussion for some links.

Steve, Host

• miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to get some snow tires from the Tire Rack. Their web site and sales person insist that the 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport (short wheel base) comes with 16-inch wheels. I'm looking at the van, and while I haven't measured the wheel, the tire sidewalls clearly state 215/70-R15 as does the van's content sheet. Can I get 215/70-R15 snows on 15-inch steel wheels?

This is a huge deal because the Tire Rack doesn't sell 16-inch steel wheels, which forces me to get 16-inch alloy wheels for the snows. I think that's a waste. If I'm going to get alloys, I'd put my summer tires on the alloys.

Thanks!
    Studded tires are banned in Minnesota, also.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Miata94: But Tire rack does sell new and take off 16 inch wheels for all models of the ChryCo minivans. I got a set of 16 inch steel wheels with Blizzak WS50 tires for around 625 dollars a few weeks ago, for my 99 GCS.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    David: Sorry for the bum steer on studded tires. Of ten states that ban studs, two are in the snow belt, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Consumer Reports Nov '01 rates the Goodyear Regatta 2 tops (red circles) for both snow and ice. The only other all season tire with this dual red circle rating was the Bridgestone SF-402. However these tires were both only average on dry and wet pavement so you might want a better all around tire like the BFGoodrich Control T/A M65 or Kelly Navigator Gold. You might want see the rating tables from your library copy. I like the report since it shows head to head test results from the CR test facility.
    I just got a new set of Regatta 2s for my '99 GCS after seeing many rave reports on them on the Web. So far I haven't had to try them on snow or ice (it was 50 today in the Twin Cities), but dry handling has been fine--at least as good as the OEM Michelins, maybe just a tad firmer. They'll get a good workout on a trip to Texas over the holidays.
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    Can anyone tell me what torque I should use on the stock, steel wheels on the Voyager. I just put on new disc brake pads and the lug nuts were on pretty tight. The owners manual is no help, they tell you about tire rotation, but nothing about how tight to set the lug nuts. Thanks for any help.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    If the size on the tire on your vehicle says -215/70-R15 - then the 15 stands for the diameter of your rim. You can ONLY use 15 inch tires on that rim. It may be possible to use 16" wheels on your vehicle if the corresponding height and cross section of the tire you will put on the 16" rim is close to the existing 15" rims.
    ..... is 76 to 80 ft-lbs.
    Thanks to olizer and vcheng for responding. I'm not looking to put 16-inch snows on the stock 15-inch steel wheels. I'm looking to get a set of 215/70-R15 snows mounted on their own 15-inch steel wheels. I would be interested in 215/65-R16s if anyone knows where I can find 16-inch steel wheels. Apparently, the Tire Rack is running low on all kinds of snow-related stock even this early in the season.

I'm also thinking about forgoing dedicated snows and just getting a set of really good all-season tires with decent snow traction. I keep hearing about Regatta 2's being very decent in the snows. Please verify if you have first-hand experience.
    First of all, a really good set of all seasons, will not match snow tire when you need it the most in snow and ice. If you want to go this route, I think Nokian has a new all seasons tire out that is w-rated, and has a 400 treadwear rating, and is siped like snow tires. I do not know about these tires firsthand but you may want to look further into them.

I think you are on the right track, and I assumed correctly when I thought that of course you know the difference between 15 and 16 tires and which rims to use.

Also try tires.com, they compete with tirerack.com and may have what you are looking for.
    Vcheng, I agree. A nice set of snows is incredible in the snow. I would never drive my Miata in the snow on anything but snow tires. I have taken my Miata up Trail ridge road in December twice (to show relatives the Rockies). However, I thought that the front drive Caravan would have a much easier time in the snow on just all season or light-duty snow tires (such as Firestone Winterfire or Kumho I'zen). My search continues. I had no idea that things get sold out this early.
    ... like Sam's club/Costco and Bj's club are alternatives that some of my friends have tried with good results, but I think they do not sell wheels.
    Back when I lived in a "winter" climate, I had two sets of snow tires/rims for a couple of cars (including an '89 Voyager). I always had good luck finding rims at salvage yards, but I don't know if 16" ones will be easy to find. You may want to look around eBay too.

I always had a full-sized spare, so I'd just get 3 additional rims and mount the 4th snow tire in place of the spare. That could save you a few bucks.

Steve, Host
    Saw and ad in Milwaukee Sunday paper for a new Dodge Caravan SXT for just under $19K. Who knows if one bargained more, you might even get a few hundred more off.
    No luck securing snow tires. I'm going with Regatta 2's for this years. I'll make sure I shop early next year.

BTW, what does the SXT have, quad captains, 3.3 V-6? I wish that the SXT is being marketed in Philly. I would have bought that instead of the used Sport.
    Yes, and yes. Also alloys and other goodies.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    My sister is looking at a new minivan. The dodge seems to be her favorite. She does frequently drive in less then ideal conditions like snow and ice and she is wondering if she really needs the all wheel drive? Her current Durango gets slim gas mileage with the 5.9 liter V8. She does however need the extra room which is why she is going to a minivan. And after her ordeal with the "gas pig Durango" she wants to get something that wont need fill-ups quite so often. A front wheel drive caravan with the 3.3 V6 gets much better fuel economy than a 5.9 V8 Durango. But the elements might cause her to switch to a 3.8 V6 caravan with all wheel drive which gets a few less miles per gallon than the front wheel drive version. Also the front-wheel drive version has a better ride and doesn't cost so much!

Is all-wheel drive worth it?
  • jsiesjsies Member Posts: 26
    I have a 97 Caravan and would like to pickup 4 grey headrests (2 for the middle seat and 2 for the rear seat). The inserts are there, but the headrests must have been an option that wasn't included in the previous owners purchase. Any clue as to where I can find these at a reasonable cost? Salvage yards are not working out, as they prefer to sell the whole seat. Thanks.