Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    "I would assume that since it is a chain..." You answered your own question. You don't have a timing belt--you have a timing chain. Generally speaking, you don't change timing chains. They pretty much run forever. There may be a chain pretensioner or something may need replacing periodically, but timing chains do not. Have you called your local Chrysler dealer to see what they say on the subject?
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    We just bought a 2002 Caravan SE with just over 35,000 km. We had tested it out in the city but live 110 km outside of the city. On the way home on the highway, we noticed that it pulled left too much. We took it back to the dealership and they aligned the front end. It was out 3 degree.
    This did not fix the problem, we have had it in 3 times and they have rotated the tires, re-adjusted the alignment etc but it still wants to wander. Strange thing is, it does not only wander to the left but also to the right. You have to constantly correct the steering yet the head mechanic says it is the way the Caravan handles. The dealership allowed us to try another Caravan, same model. year and mileage and it was much better.
    Anyone had this problem and know what it might be? The dealership has promised to fix it but we need to figure it what to fix !
    You can email us at candlemaker@telus.net if you have any info. Thanks for the help.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Well, after almost 5 years and 75,000 miles, my wife has decided to trade in our 1998 GC Sport with the 3.8 liter mill for a 2003 GC ES. We are placing the order this afternoon, and the dealership tells us that it should be in by mid June. Interestingly enough, our GC Sport cost us something like $27,000 five years ago, and with the $3,500 rebate our new ES (with Supplemental side air bags, Security alarm, Adjustable pedals, Rear seat DVD video system, Leather seats, Heated front seats, Wireless headphones, Rear cargo organizer and Tire pressure monitoring system) is going to cost just a hair over $30,000 (the dealer is selling it to us at invoice).

If all of that isn't good enough, Dodge is now offering a free portable DVD player with the purchase of any new 2003 Caravan. All you need to do is perform a "Build your own Caravan" on the Dodge web site, and you will be presented with the option of filling out a form for an eCertificate for the free player.

I was trying to talk my wife into either the BMW 525iT 5-Speed wagon or a new Chrysler Pacifica, but she wanted the space and utility of the Caravan, so that's what we are doing. :-/

Regarding our experience with our current van, it has 75,000 miles on it, and is as fast, rattle free and tight as the day we bought it. That and the fact that it has only seen the inside of a dealership twice since it was purchased (30K and 60K service) has proven to us that this is a great vehicle. Other than those two scheduled services, the only things that the van has needed has been normal oil changes (I use Mobil 1 and change every 7,500 miles), wiper blades (annually), front brake pads and rotors at 30K miles and again at 65K miles (I do them myself, and I do use a torque wrench, which seems to eliminate any problem of warping the rotors), and tires at 48K miles.

I'll keep y'all posted on the new van.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Mine is at almost 50k, and I agree with your overall assessment that this is a great vehicle for the price. We plan to running it for another couple of years before looking at alternatives.

Did you look at the new Sienna at all? I would love to hear your thoughts on that if you did.
    Interestingly enough, our dealership is a Dodge/Nissan/Toyota dealership, however, they did not have any Siennas at all to look at (the only had a couple of low-end Caravans in stock as well). Looking at the brochure seemed to be enough for Mrs. Shipo, being an extremely visual person (former clothing designer, current development and production manager for a division of Liz Claiborne), she did not like the look of the front end of the Sienna at all. I of course looked at the "Specs" and it seems that these two vans are remarkably similar in size, utility and performance, with a slight overall edge to the Toyota. Assuming, that is, that you like the look.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ...just like in my household, what the lady wants the lady gets.

Thanks for the reply though.
    What is the difference between the "Climate Group III" of the GC eX and the "Climate Group IV" of the GC ES?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    We are picking up our new GC ES today, so I will post a little later this weekend with our impressions on the differences between that and our (soon to be) former 1998 GC Sport.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Plus, if you have the time, how about a "wrap-up" on your old 98 GCS? I have to hang onto my 99 GCS for a bit longer, so far at 51K, and doing okay I guess.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It has been a bit quiet in here. My brother was out visiting earlier this month in their '00 Caravan (I never can remember the model but it's spiffier than my base Quest).

I've spent ~20 hours in it over the last couple of years, and it's a nice ride. Drives good too. He's up to ~60,000 miles including the 5,500 mile recent road trip out here and back, and nary a problem.

Steve, Host
  • walter24walter24 Member Posts: 1
    I' am living in UK and I've got some problems with my Chrysler-Voyager LE (1994-5 manual-petrol). Even Main Dealers for Chrysler in this country cant solve my troubles or even suggest Erny thing. The problems are: no sufficient heat hing inside a cabin, speed control on 5-th gear - not working (working on 4-th one) and heavy vibration - some time when the engine is running.
    Can you help or suggest some thing?
    Thank you for reading this!
    Walter
    We bought our ubiquitous Green Grand Caravan Sport in July of 1998, and traded it in today just three weeks shy of its fifth anniversary with us. During that time it has been a very faithful mount, hauling family and friends to many points within 800 miles of NYC. The total mileage when we traded it was 76,214, and through it all, the only unscheduled fault that it suffered was a dead battery back in 1991 (or thereabouts). I gave it a DieHard as a reward for all of its hard work. ;-)

During its time with us, I kept it on a constant diet of Mobil 1, kept it shod with the same OEM rubber from Michelin that came from the factory (one set), replaced the front brake rotors and pads twice, replaced "The Belt" once and mounted a number of sets of wiper blades. Other than that, there was not so much as a burned out light bulb. Not too shabby. ;-)

When we first picked the van up, we were literally on our way out of town, in this case, up to Maine. During that trip, we averaged about 18.5 MPG, and I thought that wasn't too bad given that we had opted for the larger 3.8-liter engine. Over time, the mileage has increased to the point where we would consistently get over 22 MPG on a road trip, and something in the neighborhood of 19 in mixed city/highway driving.

The only truly annoying item regarding the 98 was the "Speed Control". It would work just fine on normal (relatively flat) roads, however, there are several places on I-84 in Connecticut, and other places on I-70 in Maryland and West Virginia where the hills appeared to be too much for the system. On the way up, the van would slow down from say 75 to about 55, unless I would use the gas pedal up the hills. Weird problem. :-/

Finally after five years of spilled baby bottles, spilled coffee (I don't drink coffee, hehe) and the various road related hurts that the van has suffered, Mrs. Shipo decided that she wanted a new one. The only reason why we won't miss it too much is that we have its newer sibling, and I trust that it will serve our family every bit as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    About six weeks ago or so, we ordered a 2003 Grand Caravan ES, Bright Silver Metallic, Taupe Leather Interior, Supplemental Side Air Bags, Rear Cargo Organizer, Heated Front Seats, Security Alarm, Power Adjustable Pedals, Tire Pressure Monitoring Display, and the Rear Seat Video System. The prices on the window sticker (which says "This vehicle was built especially for MRS. SHIPO") show the following items:

Total Before Discount: 38,060
    Special DVD Discount: 1,220
    Total Price: 36,840

We then negotiated a deal at "Invoice" and took the 3,500 rebate, so the entire deal worked out to be 30,540, which is only about $3,000 more than we paid for our 98 GC Sport, which had FAR less content. I think that this is a pretty good deal. ;-)

Speaking of content, WOW does this thing have a lot of buttons and controls. I'll bet it is going to take me half of the night just to peruse the Owners Manual and figure out how to use everything. The good news is that I can sit in the middle row, and watch something intellectually stimulating like Die Hard or Last Man Standing on the DVD player while I am learning how to use the van. ;-)

I will post more as I become more familiar with it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vtec200vtec200 Member Posts: 12
    Our GC Sport has just turn 60K miles. I don't think this van had any more problems than any other vehicles we had, except our 92 Jetta which was a Mexican-built junk. So far we had the tires changed, AC recharged, Emergency latch replace, front brakes changes at 59K miles for the first time, and coolant changed to long-lasting mix. It gets about 20 mpg in winter in city, 23 mpg in summer in city, and close to 27-28 mpg in hwy driving. It is not the most powerful van with 3.3L V6, but it does the job well enough. I hope this van contiues without perform without that dreaded tranny problem for another 5 years or so, when we plan on another van at that time.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My boss and I rode over to another building for a meeting the other day in his aging Caravan. I was amazed to see the oddometer at 321,000 miles. It's the original engine and transmission,too.

Yes, he's done a number of repairs (including two headgasket replacements), but overall I though it was darn good for a vehicle with that kind of mileage. Still more amazing was the body. Chrysler vehicles sure don't rust as quickly as Ford and GM around here (Rochester, NY). This Caravan had a rusted out sliding door and there was rust on the rear hatch door. But that's it!

Dusty
    "Dodge Offering $500 Lion King Rebates

Dodge is teaming with Disney to offer a special rebate in tandem with Disney's release of the DVD special edition of its box office smash, The Lion King. In time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the minivan, Dodge will equip special-edition Lion King DVDs with a $500 coupon good toward the purchase of one of the company's Caravan/Grand Caravan minivans. Disney also will run a sweepstakes on its Web sites where entrants can win a new Caravan. Lion King characters will also appear on Dodge's NASCAR race cars at the Kansas Speedway race on Oct. 3-5. Dodge and Disney had a similar deal last year as Disney released the DVD of Monsters, Inc."

Steve, Host
    Anyone experienced a problem with the air bag indicator lighting up?
    I have read about a recall on earlier models(clock spring) but can find nothing on the 02.
    Have you taken your Caravan in to get checked out? There may be a real problem--that's what the light is for you know. I had a car in the late 90's that did the same thing. I figured there was something wrong with the light, so I took it to the dealer. They ended up replacing the driver's air bag. Thank goodness for the light!
    Looks like 2001, 2002, and 2003 Caravans and Voyagers with 6 cylinder engines have a new warranty on their compressors. I got a letter from Chrysler saying the compressor on my Voyager LX is now covered for 7 years or 70k mi, whichever comes first. Apparently there was a problem with the lubrication on some of these, so they are covering all of them for an extended period to guard against problems down the road. I think this is a pretty pro active approach, and I appreciate it!
    I have an appointment for next week. We have to go over 100 miles and they are backed up. It is the earliest we can get in.I am not asking for a fix!!!!! I just want to know if anyone has had this problem!
    It may be a real problem--hopefully they'll get you fixed up
    Yes I hope we get it in and fixed soon. It is unnerving to drive since you rely on your air bags. I am calling around to other Chrysler dealerships in our area. They are all book up and for us, this weekend is a long weekend. I am told that there are numerous people needing service right now because we are in the middle of a hot spell.
    Our appointment is only for a scan. If we need parts they have to book it in later. We do have the extended warranty and have been told that we will be given a vehicle to drive. Only problem is the distance we have to go and the fact that we were told we get a car free for only 3 days.
    The dealership we bought at has a very good reputation so I'm sure they will work with us. This is why we are having to wait too, they are very busy.
  • slingo56slingo56 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased an Inferno Red ES with sunroof and no charge DVD. Tried to buy from a local dealer (Calgary) and all there first offer was MSRP but they would throw in the hood guard, mud flaps, and third row floor mats! This was after they had wasted my time by lying about what they actually had in inventory. I promptly got up and left. Had a voice mail from the salesman a while later saying they were not in the habit of giving away their cars...whatever. Also, in Canada there have been two price increases this year (I believe to offset some of the 0% financing incentives). The ES I was looking at had a window sticker without the latest price increase (about $260). The dealer added this on to the price as he said he had to pass on the price increase. What! I am sure he paid Chrysler the lower invoice price before the increase. What a horrible experience and waste of time.

Within ten minutes of leaving the dealership I was on the phone with one two hours away whose online inventory showed they had an ES with the original 2003 price which was about $600 less. The inferno red color was not our first choice as our other vehicle is a similar colour. Given that this was $600 less on the sticker plus did not have the $875 trailer package which we do not require this seemed like potentially a good deal, first color choice or not.
    Asked to speak to the sales manager and he immediately offered a price that was $300 over invoice and offered to go 50/50 on the accessories and would deliver to our home for free. Deal was done in 10 minutes and was incredibally stress free.

Vehicle gets delivered Friday and I can't wait. Return our leased 01 Maxima SE on Thursday. I sure will miss the Max, but with a 8 week old baby, a boxer and possibly another baby in our future, the minivan will be a necessity.
    Just to follow up on my last post. We had the van in for the air bag light and it turns out it was the clock spring. They replaced it and reset the computer. We also found out there is a recall on the power steering hoses, they did that today too. They gave us a Ram 4x4 to drive around in for the day since we were from out of town. Great sevice.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Excellent! Always nice to hear about a postive resolution. Let's hope your local dealership treats you the same way.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This is our local dealership, it just happens that we live in the boonies!!!
    They are the closest we have right now. They also have an excellent reputation.
    Glad to hear you were taken care of.
    I read in the paper that Chrysler is killing the Voyager after this year. Doesn't surprise me. Will that make my 2003 LX a collector's item? ;-)
    Just going to be the T&C and Caravan eh?

Mine was a Voyager too.

Steve, Host
    Chrysler will only have T&C but I think Dodge will still offer both sizes.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Join us for tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our theme tonight is Vans!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Pop in for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• flipitclipsflipitclips Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A SUPERB 1989 VOYAGER LHD.7 SEATER THAT REQUIRES A SET OF FRONT BRAKE PADS AND A NEARSIDE BRAKE HOSE I HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE ARE NON AVAILABLE IN THE UK CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
    ....just buy over the internet. Just do a Google search for Plymouth Voyager parts, and proceed from there. I could mention several sites, but that might violate the user's agreement here at Edmunds.
    Listing parts sites is fine, but a google or yahoo search should turn up some places willing to ship from North America to the UK.

Steve, Host
    Here are three sites to start, and I am sure there are more. I do know that dealers ship to the UK. Good luck, and please post back. Cheers.

www.plymouth4less.com/voyager-parts.html

www.shopcarparts.com/plymouth-voyager.html

www.usedpartx.com/plymouth-voyager-parts.html
    I thought the SWB Chrysler van was gone for 2004, but I found out that only the Voyager name is gone. The SWB van will carry T&C badges.
  • 2003031720030317 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there! I bought a 2003 Dodge Caravan in March. Everything seemed fine until the weather became hot--a high frequency sound will start. It is there even when the air condition and fan is turned off. Anybody has any idea what is going on? The AC is working OK, by the way.
    Where is it coming from? The engine compartment? Under the seats? Sounds like a trip to the service dept may be in order. Let us know what it is. I have a 2003 Voyager LX and would like to know if I should be on the lookout for anything!
    "Minivan sales remain strong with Dodge Caravan sales increasing 33 percent."

Dog days of August (nwitimes.com)

Steve, Host
    Two months ago we had the clock spring replaced in our 2002 Caravan. Well, the air bag indicator light is on again. Has anyone has a problem like this with a newer van? I know it was a problem mid 90's.
    You should get it checked out. I have not had this problem, sorry.
    We have an appointment for this Fri. am. We are going to have them look at the noise in the steering since the power steering hose re-call too. Also there is something clunking underneath when I drive. I am going to have them check that out too. Sounds like a broken shock mount or something. The hazards of living in the frozen north!
    That's too bad. Good luck getting it fixed!
    We had the van in to the dealership on Fri. They tell us the air bag light is on due to something in the seat belt malfunctioning. They have ordered the part and we go back in two weeks. The clunk from under the front end turned out to be a bad stabilizer bar and some other part. The work was done under warrenty but we can't help wondering why with only 48,000 km( approx 27,000 mile)did it go bad? This is a 2002 after all!We asked about the shudder on deceleration and they said it was *normal* for a Caravan.
    We finally figured out why the van steered so poorly when we bought it in May, the stabilizer bar was bad. Why were they not able to figure it out then?
    It handles much better now, we still like the van. The dealership is working things out and we are pleased. Anyone had to have this work done?
    Everything you always wanted to know about the minivan that saved Chrysler.

Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth Minivans

Steve, Host
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    We recently traded in our 96 ES for a 2003. The 96 was an absolute delight with no major problems for the 7 years we had it. I'm amazed at how many new features the new van has, automatic doors, automatic rear hatch and all kinds of features the 96 didn't have,like automatic headlights that go on whenever it starts to get dark, the lights also go on automatically when the wipers are on, (required in our state), the front and rear lights flash on the side of the car you unlock or if you open the rear side door on that side, and both rear lights flash when you open the rear hatch. These features are great when approaching the car at night, as you can tell which side is unlocked, and if you need to push the remote again to unlock the other side. The only things I notice that is missing is the wiper heater in the windshield and a glove box light, but both floor consoles have lights in them. So far It's a great ride and quieter than the 96. As an aside, one of the sales people at the dealership bought our old van and loves it too.
    Has anyone experienced a problem with the van not moving when you are in reverse? I put the van into reverse , the motor raced up but it would not move! Another thing, all the letters ( PRD3L)
    had a circle around it like it does when you put it into gear. Only the reverse should have had the circle. This has happened to me twice.
    I just play with changing back to park and the reverse and the other gears and it finally works.
    This is a 2002 Caravan SE. If anyone knows what this is, please help ! Thanks
    this has not happened to me in either our old 2001 Voyager or current 2003 Voyager LX (both with 3.3l V6 and 4 sp transmission). Good luck getting it figured out!