Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Have you checked at a Dodge or Chrysler Dealership? They most likely can order one for you. We had to replace the filter cover that is located inside under the glove box a year ago. I asked our mechanic, where we have our van serviced, about this and he told me that he wasn't sure they had such a thing. He checked and ordered the part for me and it was under $10.00. Of course I had to put it on myself. Good luck. :)
  • kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    After much searching, I finally found what I've been looking for. I don't actually have it yet, but this place seems to carry just about everything and they have nice illustrations if you're not sure:

http://www.autopartspeople.com/

Total for all of what I needed was about $140. A lot for what amounts to a piece of plastic, but it was worth it for me.

They seem to cary quite a bit of stuff.
  • mrknomrkno Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Grand Caravan ES which I bought used and did not come with an owner's manual. Can anyone tell me what the buttons on the back of the steering wheel are for? Also... there are three buttons on the ceiling marked with 1, 2, & 3 dots... what are those for?
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The buttons on the back of the steering wheen are probably stereo controls. And the 1,2,3 overhead are for your garage door openers. Homelink I think it's called.
  • mrknomrkno Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info on the buttons. My stereo isn't original, so I guess they are useless to me. How do I program the Homelink buttons?
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    If you go to Chrysler's original web site, they have a place there that you can order owners manuals. Not sure how far back they have them, but you might want to check.
  • bymbym Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 94 dodge caravan with a basic 3-speed automatic transmission, but the transmission isn't any more good. I also have another caravan for parts, it has a over drive transmission in it, which is good. My question is, can I put the OD transmission in the minivan that now has the non OD transmission, will this work, I don't care if I won't have overdrive, just as long as its drivable.
  • h0rnmanh0rnman Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I thought that someone here may have a solution to my problem.
    Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan
    Mileage: 152,000

Problem:
    My service engine soon light is on, and has been for about a year or so. Most of the mechanics I talked to said that this was a quirk of the 97 Caravan and to ignore it. I don't know if it has anything to do with the rest of it, but it's something to consider. The major problem I am having is that I have a rough idle, and the van felt like it was choking when I went uphill, or sat too long in idle. So far, I have replaced the fuel filter and added some fuel treatment to the gas tank. It no longer dies (I tested it out at low speeds for about 90 minutes), but it still idles rough and it feels like it is about to die. There is a brief moment of hesitation when giving it a lot of gas from idle, but it catches up and starts to run semi-normally. The only other thing I have noticed is that it seems to run smooth in the 2500-3250 RPM range. I would appreciate any help that you all could offer.

Thank you.
    152,000, when is the last time you had the plugs replaced or fuel injectors cleaned? :sick:
  • h0rnmanh0rnman Member Posts: 2
    I don't know when the last time the injectors were cleaned, but I replaced all but one of the plugs(couldn't get to that last one) just a week or 2 ago.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Most sales statistics do not indicate the number of short wheel base Caravans but list all sales of Caravan and Grand Caravan simply as "Caravan".
    Will DC continue to make the short wheel base Caravan and base T&C as 2006 models now that the Fenton, Missouri plant now produces all 2005 GC SE with the 60/40 split "fold into the floor" rear seating?
    The 2nd row bucket seats in my 2002 T&C LX are more comfortable than the 2nd row "StowNGo" seats of the 2005 DC minivans and there is space under the bucket seats for feet of 3rd row passengers that does not exist in the 2005 DC minivans with "StowNGo".
  • ahzooahzoo Member Posts: 7
    After lots and lots of research (largely from this great site!) on the Sienna, the Ody and the GC/T&C and two Saturdays of test drives, I sat down this afternoon with a Dodge dealer and negotiated the following price:

New Grand Caravan SXT with optional powerlift gate, side curtain airbags, power adjustable pedals (which I said I wouldn't pay for since I don't need or want it) and rear parking assist for $22,299 + TTL.

I haven't signed anything yet, but do have it in writing from the salesperson. Our dealerships are closed on Sundays, so I won't do anything about it until Monday.

Does anyone have any experience with current GC SXT pricing?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We actually have a discussion dedicated to discussing pricing on this vehicle. If you post your question there, you will not only get the assistance you are looking for, but it will assist others in the purchasing process as well.

Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ckmnacckmnac Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for sharing this! Our passenger window (98 GC) hasn't worked for awhile and the driver's side is getting to the point where you have to slam the door every so often to get it up. We tried cleaning the passenger side and now it works. The hardest part we found was finding the plastic tabs for the door - the auto store didn't have any for Dodge and the dealership only had 5. We are going to do the driver's side soon and I think it will help a ton.
  • pdawg17pdawg17 Member Posts: 3
    I see on the Dodge site that when "building my vehicle" I can choose an option for integrated car seats...however, I have asked several dealerships about these seats and I have been told they are not available anymore...is this true? If so, why are they not popular? It would come in very handy for us as we have 4 kids in the car at one time and it would be great to not have 4 car seats in there that we have to take in and out...
    YES....It is a $225 option with 2 built in child seats in the middle row bench for the Caravan SE and Grand Caravan SE.
    There is also an optional built in child seat in the passenger side 2nd row bucket seat of the Caravan SXT when it is ordered with the 50/50 split-bench rear seat of the Caravan SXT. :)
  • noah7robbynoah7robby Member Posts: 1
    Have you replaced the EGR VALVE?
  • fepfep Member Posts: 3
    My 96 Dodge Caravan has nearly 90K miles. On both my long trips this winter the vehicle lost power after crusing at 65 -70 MPH for about 2 hours. The "check engine soon" light would flash and than stay on as I coasted to the side of the road and stalled. One time it cleared immediately and I was able to travel side roads for an hour before it reoccured. The other time it reoccured nearly a dozen times going anywhere from 100 yards to 2 miles at each event. Both trips resulted in no work being done because after letting it sit for an evening it would run fine the next morning. Also the "Check engine soon light" was cleared after finding the code to read "Random Misfire." Is it possible for a over heated fuel pump to prevent the gas flow and the "check engine soon" light to come on? This is what the mechanic told me but that would mean that if a Caravan were to run out of gas the "Check engine soon" light would also go on. That doesn't sound right? It's been running great for nearly 3 months now but I haven't taken any long trips. Any ideas?
    If that was an older van or car, I'd say it was the coil. They usually did that after the engine was hot. Not sure if these newer vans or cars have one.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    The purpose of this Forum is to discuss the attributes, features, etc. of the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager. We actually have a discussion dedicated to discussing problems with this vehicle, and if you post your question there, you will not only get the assistance you are looking for, but it will assist others who might be having the same problem:

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• okamtokamt Member Posts: 2
    A friend of mine had a 96 GC with 100K+ and the 3.8L. he had very similar problems and the same CODE. The dealership replaced the Crank Position Sensor (CPS), problem solved. (The CPS replaces the points in a distributor type ignition, it tells the distributor pack when to fire.) We tried replaced plugs, wires, and distributor pack and a few other items, total over $200. before we gave up and took it to the dealer. it took them 2 days to figure it out. Not sure the cost, probably can be done by yourself.

hope that helps
  • okamtokamt Member Posts: 2
    Also, No the 96 Caravan does not have a coil, nor does it have a mechanical distributor. The "distributor pack" is located on the Upper induction Manifold in plain sight. However the CPS is probably hidden down on the block, I assume.
    I'm not sure that the "Random Missfire" Code could be caused by a fualty fuel pump. I would trust the code and stick with the Ignition system.

FYI: the flashing Check engine Light is "flashing" a code. Count the flashes and check you repair manual for the list of codes. You have to have a pen and paper, but most newer Chrysler products have that feature. Your manual should give you instructions on how to count the "fashes" correctly so you can find the code.

Hope this helps
    The dealership replaced the Crank Position Sensor (CPS), problem solved.

Since you mentioned that, two years ago the dealer replaced the same thing on our 1993 Eagle Vision. Didn't know what it was until now.
  • ycougarzycougarz Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan whose air bag indicator light on the console would go and off while I was driving for a couple of weeks. Now it won't turn off at all and the horn and cruise control stopped working at the same time. I have checked fuses for all the above and all seem to be fine. Any advise on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Clockspring? Check your year and vin # to see if it is a recall (free) repair.
  • ycougarzycougarz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks 97xpresso, I'll check into that. You saved me a few $$$
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    A clockspring has nothing to do with clocks, springs or time :) A clockspring is a winding of flexible flax conductors in a circular housing under your steering wheel (not part of your steering wheel) that carries the electrical current from main body harness to devices incorporated into the steering wheel....airbag, cruise controls, radio control etc. This sounds exactly like your problem. My company make them for other OEMs but not this one. They sell to OEMs for about $12, but I"m sure they'll charge a lot more for them via aftermarket. Really easy for dealer to replace.....remove steering wheel, disconnect a few electrical connectors, remove and put new one in. The tricky part is position the clockspring and steering wheel correctly together so when you're driving str8, the steering wheel is positioned correctly.
  • unhappyownerunhappyowner Member Posts: 2
    This is a first for me -so -long story short-I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan with only 38,000 miles -I have done regular maintenance, etc.-NOW-when I had less than 20,000 miles on it-I had to have the ignition switch replaced -the dealer said it was all bound up and needed to be replaced- that was $400- NOW-I take it in today to the dealer to have the brakes checked-and oil change-and the air condtioning charged because it was blowing warm air. I just got a call from them stating that is was going to cost almost $1900 to fix it-$245 for rear brakes-(drums are grooved and need to be ground) -I had a belt that was making noise-said something about bearings having no lubrication and needing fixed $175 I think-Three lines are leaking (small leaks) transmission fluid- $305-THEN THE BEST PART-the air conditioner needs the E-Coil replaced-$1100!! NOW-I think this whole thing is totally ludicrous-I guarantee -I will NEVER NEVER EVER buy another Dodge in my lifetime!!! So-what would you suggest I do to get this van in working condtion?
  • unhappyownerunhappyowner Member Posts: 2
    How do you contact Chrysler to complain about the problems I am having with my 2000 Dodge Caravan?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Our 1996 Caravan still has the original drum brakes, now at about 86,000 miles! Did do one set of front brakes and new rotors about 15K ago. I really wonder if they have much of a problem.

As far as your belt making noise, it could be you just need a new serpentine belt and possibly a new idler tensioner pulley. I replaced the belt once, did it myself total cost less than $25. The idler tensioner pulley also replaced once, again did it myself, another $20 or so.

AC can be expensive and I did have to have that done, but what is an E-coil? Never heard of it.

Did have a couple of transmission leaks, and depending on what they are, $300 could be a fair price for a dealer to do this work.

All in all, could be your dealer has a boat payment due. All your problems are not necessarily life threatening. Drive it out of there, and I would shop around and get a second or third opinion.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. As the other poster said you should not need rear brakes at only 38K. You probably won't get any help from Chrysler to repair your AC evaporator core. They will say it's a 5 year old vehicle, (irregardless of the low miles) we're sorry but no help from us. DC Customer Care Phone # is
    800-992-1997
  • zentoadzentoad Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering where to post this question...
    I bought a used 92 grand voyager, and later a used pop-up trailer. I must admit that I did not do my homework regarding towing capacity. I would like to know how to confirm if my voyager has a towing package installed. While replacing the radiator, I noticed that it does have a seperate tranny oil cooler. What else should I look for to confirm if a towing package was installed?

Thanks, Tony

PS trailer weight is specified at @ 1435 lbs, with electric brakes...
    Those expenses are high but routine maintenance on a Volvo, Honda, Toyota, or almost any other foreign brand vehicle would cost more than that by 38,000 miles. :cry:
    With the new 2005 Dodge/Chrysler minivans coming out with Stow-n-Go seats and Chrysler changing the under carriage of these new vans, how are the owners liking them and what are you using them for? Any major problems?
  • mastiff1mastiff1 Member Posts: 2
    Ive had my 05 for 5 weeks now and i floving it. i use mine for work and pleasure, and the ability to fold those seats down without a hassel is great. I haul heavy stuff and the seats are holding up very well. Mine came with the tow package, so the leveling suspension comes in handy when picikng up deliveries when the trucking company wont deliver. my only complaints are as follows:
    1) nasty over spray under the hood, hope it dosent peal off.
    2) loose carpeting in the stow and gow 3rd row. if it wears out, hopefully the warrenty will cover it. (anyone else have this problem??).

Other than that, build quality seems very fine, all the seems line up and every thing works, with 1700 miles and going.
    1) nasty over spray under the hood, hope it dosent peal off.
    2) loose carpeting in the stow and gow 3rd row. if it wears out, hopefully the warrenty will cover it. (anyone else have this problem??).

Not me. I sure would bring it to your dealer's attention though.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Yeah, no kiddin.' My neighbor just spent $1400 on brakes and rear shocks for their 2003 Sienna.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • wkn55wkn55 Member Posts: 1
    I had AutoZone do their FREE diagnostic test on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan because my engine light came on and they said i needed an EGR valve. What is the purpose of the EGR valve and how long can i drive without something seriously breaking down on me? Is it safe to trust that that is all I need or should i get the dealer to do another diagnostics (and charge $$$$) just to tell me i need a lot of other thing fixed. The car has $126,000+ miles and is running good otherwise.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and the valve controls the amount recirculated to lower emissions. It is about $35-55 for the part, and about 1 hours' worth of labor (say $65-95).

Assuming that this was only code pulled by AutoZone, it should not be too expensive to fix. You could drive this thing for some time like this, but it is a fix that should not be delayed too much.

You don't need a dealer to do this. If you are savvy, you can do this on your own (be sure to work on a cold engine to avoid burns) or take it to a major chain like PepBoys or any other good independent workshop to get a satisfactory repair.
  • vandamvandam Member Posts: 2
    Picked up a '96 Grand Caravan, 3.3l with about 150000k on it this past week. My hope is to get about 50000k out of it without major bills. First week in... I'm getting a SES light, code 12, code 32 and code 55.
    Anyone know what a code 12 and code 32 are. I think code 55 just tells you it's finished reporting?
    Anyone know 'bout these.

vanDam
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Code 12 is Battery disconnect (means battery must have been replaced or disconnected)
    Code 32 is EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) failure. Check EGR valve for proper operation or replace it.
  • vandamvandam Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info,
    just new to this board, seems like a great resource,

I'll check into the egr valve, hopefully that clears it up.
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Anyone own an 05 Dodge van with the 4 cylinder? Is the power adequate?

I don't plan to ever do any towing with the van.
    Depends if you are going to clime any mountains. Also the service requirements to the four cylinder is higher than with the six.
    Nope won't be climbing many mountains in Louisiana.

By "service requirements" I guess you mean the intervals you have to change spark plugs and coolant, etc ...?
    Just the spark plugs, (every 30K) which are very easy to replace on the 4 cylinder, and also the timing belt at 105,000 miles, other than that service is about the same.
    Well that killed the deal ... no timing belts for me.
    If you go to the six, it has a timing chain.
    At least the 2.4 4 cyl engine is non-interference, so if the timing belt were to break, you would not destroy the engine. Granted you possibly would be stranded somewhere. The 3.3 six is a very reliable engine, but the rear 3 plugs can be hard to replace.