Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    True, the back three plugs on the 3.3 V-6 are a pain, however they are 100K platinum plugs, and I intend to go the full 100K before changing them. At 82K now and running fine. I will either then pay someone else to change em, or I will sell it and buy a new one, leaving the plugs to the next owner!

I would go with the 3.3 V-6 to get reasonable performance. Even the short wheel base dodge minivan is a bit too much for the 4 cylinder engine for most people's preferences.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Let's keep a welcoming atmosphere here for everyone, including new posters.

Since this discussion is for talking about the features/attributes of these vans, the recent posts concerning problems have been moved to the Dodge / Chrysler minivan problems discussion.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    In 2002, there were Voyager eC and Caravan eC; Grand Caravan eL and eX and the Town & Country eL and eX.
    How many years were these different models in production and why did DaimlerChrysler discontinue them?
    Was it the same reason the Plymouth Voyager line; Dodge Caravan Sport, Grand Caravan Sport, Grand Caravan LE, Grand Caravan ES; and Chrysler Voyager and Town & Country LXi names were sent to the graveyard? :confuse:
    Posts concerning problems with these the Caravan and Voyager have been moved to the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan problems discussion. Please look for the responses to your posts there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Can you get the 3.3 V6 in a shortwheel base?

Looks like you have to get the Grand Caravan (long wheelbase to get the 3.3).
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The 3.3 V6 is available in the se plus, sxt, and sxt plus, short wheelbase.
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Edmunds pricing doesn't show an SE plus option.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I think the GC SE Plus has been out of production since DC started putting Stow /N Go into the regular GC SE.
    The GC SE Plus was a rip off from the beginning :sick: as it had the smaller 3.3L V6 and when power sliding doors, the overhead console, and triple zone temp was added, the GC SE Plus cost more than the GC SXT that had all of these items plus the larger 3.8L V6, cast wheels, and other nice items standard. ;)
    The 3.3L V6 is standard in the Caravan SXT and SWB Town & Country. The Caravan SE (SWB) was the only 2005 DC minivan that had the 2.4L - 4 cylinder engine. :cry:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey gang, I just finished a road trip in our 1998 GC Sport 3.8. Said trip featured a single day sprint from southern New Hampshire to the western suburbs of Chicago, eight days of local driving, a second single day sprint from the Chicago area to Westchester county New York (complete with over four hours of insane weather in central Pennsylvania on 5-July), a day of driving around the NYC area, and then a final short hop from "The Gyland" back to southern New Hampshire.

In all the trip consumed 35 hours 7 minutes of engine time, 2,223.5 miles and 102.25 gallons of gasoline, which yields an average speed of 63.31 miles per hour and fuel economy of just shy of 22 mpg, which is pretty good considering that the van was fairly heavily loaded, with the A/C running most of the time and the Cruise Control set at a constant 75 mph. My best tank was between Glen Ellyn, IL and just shy of the Pennsylvania state line on I-80, 399.2 miles on 17.34 gallons of gas (I could easily have gone north of 400 but there were some very angry looking clouds in front of me and I decided to fill it while I could still stay dry). I know that those of you who have the more fuel efficient four bangers and the 3.0 and 3.3 liter sixes are able to routinely see over 400 miles per tank, but for this vintage of the 3.8 I think that I did pretty good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mcmilchmcmilch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Caravan and the owner manual explains how to active / de-active the all the remote and power door lock features with the exception of the auto unlock feature. Does anyone have any the instructions for this? It tells me to refer to the overhead console? I do not have an over head console but with every other instruction it makes the same reference to the overhead console but then states “or follow this procedure”.

I am not sure if this omission is directed at the Canadian market?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kthompson1kthompson1 Member Posts: 1
    How do you remove the back seats in a 1994 plymouth voyager?
    Will DaimlerChrysler continue to make the Caravan and short wheel base Town & Country now that the Fenton, MO plant is producing Stow 'N Go for all Grand Caravan?
    A Caravan or SWB T&C with Stow 'N Go and middle row seats that move fore and aft would be just the right size for us. Would be even nicer if the more powerful 3.8L V6 were offered in ALL DaimlerChrysler minivans. ;)
    Would like to read any information on the 2006 Caravan and SWB T&C. :)
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    There doesn't seem to be any info on the 2006 yet hansienna
  • caravanmancaravanman Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody own a Dodge Caravan? Not a Grand Caravan, just the regular Caravan (which is smaller).

The reason why I'm asking is because I am renting a Dodge Caravan to go to drive to Texas from California. I am taking 2 adults and 4 small kids with me for a total of 7.

My main concern is the luggage area in the back of the vehicle behind the 3rd seat. Realistically, what can fit back there? It looks SUPER SMALL back there. I mean, what is it like 6 inches of space or something? Or can I actually fit luggage back there?

If you could give me your honest, realistic opinion of what would and what WOULD NOT fit back there, I would appreciate it. The luggage cases that my wife and I have are about 12" thick at the smallest point. We are taking two of these plus a few smaller cases.

So that's 2 large suitcases and like 3 medium to small sized bags for the kids.

If you can give me an estimate in inches, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your feedback...

P.S. I know I'm pushing it, but what about a small ice chest?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    why not rent a grand caravan??????? with Stow N Go - you'd have plenty of space!!
    Thanks for the recommendation but my local Dollar Rent a Car only has Caravans. No Grand Caravans.
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Anybody ever use E85 fuel in their FFV Caravans?
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    The middle row is fixed, but the rear 3 passenger bench can be adjusted forward, legroom wouldn't be a problem with small children. You'd be able to stack luggage in the rear then. A small cooler will fit between the front seats.
    You are a lifesaver. Thanks !!!
  • drgpetdocdrgpetdoc Member Posts: 5
    On three separate occasions when I go to start up the minivan I hear a rather loud noise. Can't really pinpoint the location, sounds like it might come from the middle of the dash near the vent? It almost sounds like a loud static noise from the radio, it stops within 20-30 seconds. I suppose it could also be coming from the engine compartment. The car is equipped with a sirius radio and uconnect phone system. Could it be some kind of feedback?I called a few dealers and no one could possibly guess, they suggest leaving the car, but of course it will never happen when they get it...Anyone out there have anything similar?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    We recently had a noise at start up on our '05 T&C and it happened to be the Power Steering fluid was low. Topped it off and all good.....
  • 5bucks5bucks Member Posts: 10
    Having the same problem. Van intermittently will not start. Sometimes loses all power for a second or two while driving as though they key had been turned off. When the van does not start, I can take the keys out of the ignition and the "key in/door open" chime continues to sound. At the same time, a relay located under the in car fuse panel constantly chatters. When the problem first happened constantly turning they key on and off and banging on the steering column seemed to fix the problem and the van would start. Last few times I've had the problem, this did not work. I found that disconnecting the battery for a few seconds will fix the problem but in a day or two it happens again. I noticed that when I'm having the problem and remove the keys from the ignition the steering column does not lock as it should. It's like somewhere a computer in the vehicle thinks it is still turned on even with the key removed. I'm guessing it's a problem with the Body Control Module but am hesitant to take it to a dealer as unless it's having the problem my guess is they will not find anything. I am wondering if this could be related at all to the Clockspring recall I've read about. Not exactly sure what the clockspring does other than somehow being related to the airbags, as the recall was for airbag lights that would not go out. Anyone else having a similiar problem or have any ideas?
  • drgpetdocdrgpetdoc Member Posts: 5
    How low was your fluid? Mine seems to be at the lower one of the two lines that shows where the fluid should be. Was it difficult to determine if the noise was from inside or outside of the car? Haven't had the noise now for about 1 week. Thanks
    I always look at the fluid levels in my cars. But, for some reason, I never noticed the PS fluid being low. Now, when the engine is cold the level is in between the 2 lines you reference. The noise was definately coming from the engine compartment area. Since the fluid was topped off, the noise has disappeared.
  • briman2kbriman2k Member Posts: 20
    Does anybody know if a 2002 barebones Caravan have any security?

I want to add a remote starter to it and I need to know if I need to get a security bypass kit also..

Thanks!
    Edmunds has pricing on all 2006 Caravan, Grand Caravan, and Town & Country while the official web sites for Dodge and Chrysler have nothing. Many DC dealers have sold out their 2005 minivan inventory and will probably lose sales to Toyota or Honda when no minivans are available for sale and no information is available from DaimlerChrysler. :cry:
    Since this discussion is for the features/attributes of the car and we have a topic for problems, I've moved your post and its response there. Click the link below to get there:

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler minvan problems

I happened to stop at a gas station today that only offered Full Serve ($2.79 for Regular, the least I've spent since before Katrina, all of which was Self Serve), and so I let the station attendant "Full Serve" it. As I've driven over 4,200 miles since I last changed my oil, the timing was perfect. The report came back that I was only down about a half of a quart, not too bad for an engine that has almost 97,000 miles on it.

The problem is... I want a new car, and so I've been looking for any hint of any problem with my current mount, the 1998 GC Sport 3.8 that I've written about from time to time. Even though I'm driving about 100 miles a day, and even though gas prices are currently high, and even though my GC only gets about 22 mpg at 75 mph, I cannot justify buying something new given that I have yet to spend a total of $100 on unscheduled maintenance over the life of this vehicle. The fact is that while I could easily save between one and two hundred dollars per month in fuel charges alone buy buying a smaller and more fuel efficient (and more fun) car, the cost difference between the GC (long since paid off meaning that it is essentially free) and a new car (I'm thinking Audi A3 6-Speed Manual) is so much that I really can afford to buy LOTS of gas for the GC and still be WAY ahead from a financial perspective.

Hmmm, maybe if I hadn't fed both of our GCs a steady diet of Mobil-1 the engine of the 1998 might could well be way more tired than it currently is, and justifying a new car would be easier. Thinking about this another way, this is the first concrete negative I've ever been able to come up with regarding using Mobil-1 in my cars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Our 1996 short wheelbase Caravan SE Sport with the 3.3 has always only been fed the cheapest brand name conventional oil (I stock up on those Checker Automotive store sales with a rebate for either 49 or 59 cents a quart, usually Chevron), changed every 2,500-3,500 miles. It is using little if any oil, now at about 83K miles, and I don't expect it to suddenly turn into an oil burner by the time we get to 97K. So you may have wasted money on your Mobil-1 as well.

I even use those blacklisted cheap Fram oil filters and have from the first oil change with no detriment to engine life to date.

I haven't been quite as lucky as you on other maintenance, however. Two major and costly AC repairs. Otherwise, every other piece of maintenance could be considered routine on this vehicle. One front only brake job, one serpentine belt, one serpentine belt tensioner pulley, one set of tires, a couple of batteries, one transmission oil change plus a transmission shaft seal replacement is about it other than routine oil changes, several cooling system flushes, wiper inserts, etc.

I can't imagine you would be completely satisfied driving that Audi A-3 exclusively without the minivan available for those Home Depot trips, however.

Maybe you should buy a new toy and keep the trusty Grand Caravan for lugging "stuff".
    "Our 1996 short wheelbase Caravan SE Sport with the 3.3 has always only been fed the cheapest brand name conventional oil (I stock up on those Checker Automotive store sales with a rebate for either 49 or 59 cents a quart, usually Chevron), changed every 2,500-3,500 miles. It is using little if any oil, now at about 83K miles, and I don't expect it to suddenly turn into an oil burner by the time we get to 97K. So you may have wasted money on your Mobil-1 as well."

Were it that I had the time and energy to do 3K oil changes, I'd say that you were absolutely correct. Having said that, the shortest OCI that the 1998 has ever seen was about 7,200 miles and the longest was somewhere north of 12,000 miles. :blush: The average is probably between 8K and 9K miles, and as such, I'm thinking that the extra few dollars per oil change was probably money well spent. ;-)

"I can't imagine you would be completely satisfied driving that Audi A-3 exclusively without the minivan available for those Home Depot trips, however.

Maybe you should buy a new toy and keep the trusty Grand Caravan for lugging "stuff". "

No question that being restricted to just an A3 would be a problem. Fortunately we are currently a two GC family, Mrs. Shipo is currently driving a 2003 GC ES 3.8 with all of the trimmings (yeah, even the power pedals and the DVD player). That one is just now breaking the 50K barrier and as such is quite young compared to the 1998, and it too has been fed a steady diet of Mobil-1. Our current plan is for both of us to opt for new cars over the next year or two, keeping the 2003 GC ES as the family hauler/Home Depot hack. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I hope our 2005 T&C Touring serves us as well as your's has....
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Anyone else noticed Chrysler minivans in service for the US Post Office? I've seen a couple of them in service locally. What a great way to prove mechanical durability, especially the weak transmission perception!!
    Can carry 7 people with all essential luggage, contain all important comfort features, great fuel economy ( 19 City 26 Highway), and a low actual purchase price. ;)
    I agree with most of your statement except that the short wheel base Caravan and short wheel base T&C do not have much luggage space with the third row installed.

No way could you vacation with seven people and all their luggage. Doing that might even be a challenge for a long wheel base Grand Caravan or T&C, even including the floor recess storage with the stow and go seats up.

The short wheel base Caravan will serve most people's needs. They have met our needs for the last 20 years!

Now if DC could only figure out how to shoehorn in stow and go into the short wheel base versions. I know this is not likely to happen even if feasible, as short wheel base versions probably only amount to 10 per cent or less of DC's minivan sales.
    I do NOT like Stow N' Go 2nd row seating. 2nd row seats have narrow armrests and do not feel as substantial as Caravan and SWB T&C 2nd row bucket seats. DC would be smart to have 2nd and 3rd row seats of Caravan / SWB T&C move fore and aft to provide more flexibility.
    The 3rd row of Stow 'N Go provides extra cargo space but for most uses, the old fashioned 50/50 split 3rd row that my 2002 T&C LX has is much better. It is much easier to lift groceries from the rear of my T&C than it would be with Stow 'N Go, Ody "Magic Seat", Sienna "Split & Stow", etc.
    We get groceries once every 5 or 6 days but only go on long trips once or twice each year where we need maximum storage. ;)
    I also prefer having the spare tire conveniently located underneath the back of the minivan...with the ability to have a full size spare if desired.
    We have been able to take ALL the luggage, snacks, etc. for 4 adults and 2 children on lengthy trips with our 02 T&C. We put some soft sided bags between the front seats and between one sliding door and the 2nd row seat and we have NEVER used the luggage rack on top of the van . It would just take a little more creativity with the shorter Caravan/ SWB T&C :blush: .
    If I were to get a 2006 DC minivan it would be the Caravan SXT since I do not want Stow 'N Go.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • aprendizaprendiz Member Posts: 17
    For a fuel filter replacement is necessary to lower fuel tank or not?
  • kdegenkdegen Member Posts: 2
    Hello:

I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and country Caravan and the 2

swiches for the automatic sliding doors don't activate the doors.I can open them with the overhead controls but have to close manually.Checked fuses under hood OK.

Do these have fusable links somewhere?.

Thanks

kdegen
  • pkedwardspkedwards Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i do hope someone can help my i have a 1998 chrysler grand voyager which iam having problems with the memory iod fuse circuit which ihave been told by a auto electrican .does anyone know what is on this circuit or have any ideas please help
  • kdegenkdegen Member Posts: 2
    All set Wife pressed the left most switch on overhead panel

which controls power to rear door swithes :)
  • blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    Looking at a Dodge caravan 2003-2005 range and was wondering about reliability or any issues or years I need to stay away from? Looking at getting one with less than 20k miles. I do on the road sales so I will be racking up the miles big time. Need something I can change the oil in and keep on going.
    Thanks!
  • housetwofullhousetwofull Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 dodge caravan. My gauges started not working intermittently. Then my door looks didn't work. Then my lights, then my windshield wipers. Then everything was blank. After searching the forums I new I was having a problem with my iod fuse also. The fuse is located in the fuse box next to the battery on the caravan. It is all the way in the back, close to where the battery wires connect to the fuse box. The other forums I read said to remove the iod fuse. Disconnect the battery. Clean the terminals and battery to make sure it is getting a good connection. Wait ten minutes. Reinstall the battery. Then reinstall the fuse. All problems were fixed. They even had a fuse taped to the top of the fuse box that fit the iod fuse spot in case it is faulty. What a cheap fix. From what I read a lot of electrical problems can be fixed this way. It is an easy thing to try. :shades: Good luck to you.
    Leak stop fluids will be effective for small oil leakage, about 0.2 qts/3000 miles through engine block gasket and crankshaft sensor gasket for a 100 000 Chrysler Voyager L 2,4?
    Contraindications?
    Compativility with sinthetics oil?
    Looking at a Dodge/Chrysler minivan, which motor is better? Taking into consideration HP, Torque, reliability, fuel rating???? Which is newer?
    Thanks!
    The two engines are nearly identical, they are both the same basic design. The 3.3 will get you just a bit better mileage with a somewhat less torque and horsepower, but it is entirely adequate, especially on the short wheel base versions of the DCX minivans. Both have been in production for quite a few years and are generally quite reliable. Both run fine on regular grade fuel.
    Great! Thank you!
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    Can I get a mileage check from anybody with a 2002 Caravan/Grand Caravan or newer and what the mileage is. I am trying to find some with high mileage just to see how they hold up.