Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC, the initial fill of oil from the Honda factory includes a break in additive hence their insistence of waiting for the oil minder to tell you.

IMHO, vehicles and motor oils are much better today than even 5 years ago. Early and frequent changing of oil does nothing more than waste money and resources. Of course, it may give you the warm fuzzies as well but I stand by my thoughts on doing what the book - or the minder - says.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I think auto makers over extend maintenance intervals to lure perspective buyers with low maintenance cost, and the ever popular "true cost to own" equation. I would rather be safe, than sorry. I plan to keep this car at least as long as my last (12 years, 140k miles).
  • suzankeesuzankee Member Posts: 6
    I just bought an Accord LX Automatic. During the testdrive, I noticed that the "D" indicator keeps flashing during driving. I asked the dealer and he said it was fine. When I got back home, I read the manual and it says this means there is a problem with the transmission. Do anyone have experience with this? Is it a serious problem? Can I requested the dealer to change the car based on the fact that he was lying to me.
    The D indicator means the transmission computer has detected a problem. This definitely needs to be checked out. Is the transmission acting up? This is a brand new car, right? Is the D indicator still flashing?
    I do not know the exact meaning of "transmission acting up". But when I drove the car home, I did not feel there was anything wrong with the transmission.
    I do not know the exact meaning of "transmission acting up". But when I drove the car home, I did not feel there was anything wrong with the transmission. The D indicator keeps flashing during driving or when the car war shifted to any other position. Yes, it is a brand new car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Either way, the dealer telling you that the D blinking was normal was a complete lie, or they happened to be completely inadequate at knowing their product. Either way, they owe you a major apology, and possibly a lot more.
    What can I do about it? Can I request an exchange?
    They would definitely have to explain why the light is flashing, and solve the problem. "Honda of America" would here about this, and it would be documented in writing, in the event the transmission would go bad later. You can certainly request an exchange, but I think that would be a long shot, unless something is actually wrong with the transmission.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    You might try pushing for an extended Honda warranty for free. I would start with the management at the dealer you purchased the car, and escalate it to Honda if the don't offer an extended warranty.

Mrbill
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    I would go ballistic if they said it need a replacement tranny or major work. They would be swapping that baby out for another unit, or I would be having a lawyer shoot them a letter explaining they were about to be sued!

EIther the dealer (who exactly, the saleman who probably knew nothing about the problem) was not very knowledgeable, or was a bold-face liar, but either way the dealership should step up, assuming there really is a problem. It is possible they can just reset the codes and it won't recur, since sometimes monitoring systems like that can get confused and throw a false positive.

In any case, get it back ASAP to find out what the problem is, and take action based on what you find out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Very impressive legalise for an amateur, but I believe under the various states' "lemon law" statutes, the manufacturer of the faulty product is allowed at least three attempts to repair the product before buyback or exchange litigation can proceed. In some states, an attempt through the Better Business Bureau's binding arbitration* service (free to the consumer) must also be attempted before litigation can commence.

*binding on the manufacturer, not the product owner. If Joe Owner is dissatisfied with the arbitrator's call, he's then free to hire a lawyer, have a go at litigation, and take his chances. If the manufacturer is dissatisfied with the arbitrator's call, it's just too darned bad - "binding" means the manufacturer has no appellate rights through the courts to have the arbitrator's ruling vacated. He be stuck.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Why did you buy the car when you noticed the blinking "D" during the test drive? Why not drive another example? Why trust the word of a car salesman? Seems suspect to me.
  • dorccadorcca Member Posts: 23
    I just bought a SE-V6 with VSC. It has 17 in alloy wheels with Michelin all season tires. Could someone advise me if I could get by in winter without changing to snow tires?

Thanks.
    Where do you live? If you have just a few inches of snow a year (say, like in Tennessee), you'll likely be just fine. If you live in Buffalo, NY, I might invest in some chains and snow tires.
    What thegraduate said. personally, I doubt that ABS, VSC, BFD, ETC were ever intended as a substitute for GOCS (good old common sense).
  • deewofdeewof Member Posts: 11
    Whether it's the good old variety or freshly minted, we can all agree that common sense ranks right up there w/ motherhood, apple pie & regular flossing. However...the question concerns the merits of switching to snow tires vs. sticking w/original equipment. Living in Mich., where we get far too much of the white stuff, I would also like to know the views of all the informed spokespersons. Brand names, too.
    Go to tirerack.com. They have tire reviews, an ratings for every different kind of tire (snow, performance, touring, etc).
  • urmil2000urmil2000 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem.
    Do these steps.
    1)report to honda customer service. open a case with them
    2) go to dealer every time you hear noise.
    3) if your problem occurs more then 3 times make it a lemon law case
    i did the same thing.
    it took more then 2 years to come to this point but my case is still weak together all of us we can win, i believe.
    Let honda know we are nofools for money we paid,
    Thank you all. I appreciate the information.
    I live in NJ. Will go to tirerack.com to check out
    the Michelin tires.

Happy New Year to you all!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Thanks. Actually, my car hasn't rattled for a while or I'v gotten used to it :) It's only intermittent so not a big deal, definitely not worth my time and trouble to go to the dealership everytime it happens. I'd rather live with it. Besides, any new car after a year will have at least intermittent rattles anyway. As long as I'm satisfied with the rest of the car, I'm basically happy.
    Sometimes a creak or rattle will elliminate itself if the culprit gravitationally "settles" into a position that no longer allows sufficient movement to be audibly noticeable. (This could be presented as an unnumbered corollary to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle*, but I prefer to think of it as the "ray_h1 'quicksand' theory of unpredictable, but always welcome, sanity preserving auditory relief". ;))

*AKA: "If anything can go wrong, it will."
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Car_man, what is the money factor and residual of an 07 accord EX-L V6 AT with Nav for 2 yr/12K mi in California? thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might have already figured this out, but you'll find Car_man in the Accord Lease Questions discussions rather than here. ;)
  • wildman63wildman63 Member Posts: 27
    Look at your owner's manual... the flashing transmission indicator light is mentioned as a fault that should be taken care of by the dealership.
  • sam9621sam9621 Member Posts: 4
    I am getting a Tick sound when
    1) I turn the indicator light , and the normal tick-tock starts
    2) Then when I turn my wheel even by 1/4 rotation while indicator is on , I get this sound from the steering column
    3) this sound also jerks the steering wheel ever so slightly.
    4) this sound can be heard 3-4 times during a sharp turn (more than 1/4 rotation), but it is fine during lane change.
    5) this sound is repeatable even with the car stationary
    6) my car is only 1.5 months old
    PLEASE HELP
    That's a function of the blinker mechanism. Every car I have EVER driven (including my 1996 Accord, a 1999 Nissan Frontier, our old 2000 Odyssey, 2002 CR-V, 03, 05, and 06 Accords, and my dad's new 2007 Civic) have done this.

Bear with me on this a second, and I'll try to explain what it is.

Have you ever taken a turn (with signal on) that was not sharp enough to cause the blinker to turn back off when the turn was completed, meaning you have to shut it off yourself (or during a lane change like you said it was fine and didn't click)? That is because that "click" threshold wasn't reached. With each 1/4 turn of the wheel, the blinker mechanism resets, so that when the wheel goes back by the last "click point" that you went by, the blinker turns off.

Next time you drive it, turn past the point of the first click, then start turning the wheel back towards "straight" again. Did you notice the blinker shut off at the same angle as the last click you heard? If it did, that is likely what you are hearing. I can feel it in the wheel when it is working, but it's very slight, like someone else thumped the wheel with me holding it.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I'll be happy to continue clarifying this for you.

Here is a link to the process taking place and what is causing the audible "click" from HowStuffWorks.com Watch the little animation (you'll have to click the green Play button at the bottom left corner of the box - the box is towards the bottom of the page you'll be linked to)
    thegraduate is probably right, but take the car into your dealer's service department to demonstrate the noise anyway.* It's possible, however unlikely, that the universal joint coupling between the lower steering wheel shaft and the steering rack shaft wasn't properly lubricated, or is otherwise defective, when it was manufactured. (There's a reason your new car has a warranty.)

*and make sure the tech they assign has normal hearing ability... ;)
  • robgraverobgrave Member Posts: 65
    Just for general info purposes, where is the turn signal flasher located in the Accord? Fuse box, or elsewhere?
  • stansbmistansbmi Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: Does anyone know if drivers of accords with daytime running lights need to turn on their headlights when it starts to rain in the daytime? I find it hard to read the dashboard in the daytime when I turn the lights on.
    I find it hard to read the dashboard in the daytime when I turn the lights on.

You need to adjust your instruments to full brightness then. With your headlights on, turn the "reset" knob next to the speedometer clockwise - the lights should get brighter and brigher. Eventually, you will hear a beep, which means they have reached full brightness, and are at the same level they will be at when the lights are off. (PLEASE READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL TO ANSWER FURTHER QUESTIONS - IT'S A LOT OF HELP! :))

You SHOULD ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR LIGHTS ON WHEN IT RAINS. Even with daytime running lights, you want low beam headlights, so your taillights will illuminate as well.
    I just bought a SEV6. It does not come with fog lamps.
    Is it possible to install a pair of fog lamps on SE?
    Any idea how much would it cost?

Instead of a yellowish fog lamp, could it be a white lamp
    but about the same size as a fog lamp?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    dorcca
    My suggestion is www.handaaccessories.com

The Accord has a dealer-installed foglamp option, so I imagine adding them yourself is a viable option.
    As far as how much they cost about 700 + labor ~50 at the dealer
    Thanks Graduate,
    But........
    This noise was not there (as far as i remember ) when i got it from dealer. I can verify that on the weekend ,my friend just bought another accord.
    The normal sound when the turn lever comes back to normail after a turn is a THUD.
    I noticed the sound comming 6-8 times now when I rotate the wheel completely, once during turn and once during straighten ... :confuse:
    Well, take it back to the dealer if you don't feel confident in it.

I hear the "clicks" when making the turn, multiple clicks when the turn is tight enough to make a full revolution of the steering wheel. At the point of steering angle of the last click is where the stalk will return to the normal position (when straightening out your steering angle) with the 'thud.'

I'd suggest asking a salesman to crank another Honda up and let you use the signals sitting on the lot, and see if you don't experience the same thing.
    Hi thegraduate and Sam 9621,

Thank you both for your information.
    I didn't know it is that expensive for a pair of
    fog lamp. But thank you just the same.

Regards,
    dorcca
    The fog lights do not cost $700. They are about $240 on HandAaccessories. Link below.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/accext03.html
    Thank you elroy5 for the information. I appreciate it.
    Just wondering if you have them on your accord.
    Any idea how well do they work? My area has a lot of
    deers. Just crashed my old minivan by a deer. I thought with fog lights I could see them better at night when there are cars from opposite direction and I could not turn on high beams.

Thanks.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Fog lights throw more light closer to the front of the vehicle, not so much in terms of distance. If you want distance, then do an HID retro.
    It's not often I drive in the fog, so I really haven't needed them. My truck had fog lights, and they do help, even when it's not foggy. Any extra light, that may prevent an accident sounds like a good idea to me. I was thinking of getting them for my car, just for the look.
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I have test drove both and can't decide. Having a quiet engine is important to me. That is why i am thinking I should go with the 6. Is there really much of a noise difference with the two? We own a civic and its really noisy. thanks
    I have the V6, and I can tell you the engine is almost silent in most situations (unless you floor it). The effortless power is great. When an Accord takes off from the intersection near my house, I can definitely tell if it's a 4 or a 6 cyl. Many people are content with the 4 cyl. and around town it is very competent. Out on the highway the V6 shines. Your choice.
    Do you have an EX? I am looking for a used but the leather seats are not important to me. Seems like an EX is all I can find where I live. Just wondering if you like the leather seats and if they are easy to care for?
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    I got the SE V6 myself - cloth seats, no moonroof. I had to wait a few days but they found me one within a week... wasn't the color I initially wanted but its different than most other Accords and I didn't mind it so I took it. Moroccan Red Pearl.

And I love the V6 - effortless! :D
    Yes, I have the EX V6, and I wanted the leather seats. They are easy to care for with the right cleaner/conditioner. "Saddle soap" is what Honda recommends (in the owner's manual) and it works great.
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    Is yours black or gray? I think the black is probably the best leather color for longevity. Oh yeah, and the butt warmers... are they butt only or back too?
    My car is black. Looks great when it's clean, but it's very hard to keep it that way lol. The seat heaters work great too (both back and bottom). Of course I don't use them much in Louisiana. They do heat up pretty fast though, and have a high and low setting. Another thing I like about the seats is the 8-way adjustability. You can tilt the bottom of the seat back, and get into your perfect sitting position.
    The seats I was looking at were grey since I like the dark grey color on the outside. I have yet to see an Accord w/black interior. What do you think about the grey leather. Some of the ones we looked at didnt look the best.
    I have only seen the grey seats in pictures, but they look nice. I have the two tone interior with the Ivory seats. I think I would rather black seats if the interior was all one color, but I don't even know if they have black seats in leather. At least I haven't seen any.