Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• pj23pj23 Member Posts: 158
    Bunk, I don't think you need to worry about an '03 Accord falling to pieces around you or anything, but it may be prudent to wait. I bought an '01 Civic, which was the first year for the new model. I had absolutely zero problems whatsoever with the car. There were a few minor issues (gas gauge reading incorrect, radio bugs) with the Civics that Honda addressed and resolved by the time mine was built. That being said, if I did it again, I would've waited for the '02s, because there were some suspension changes and minor interior upgrades that I would've liked, that were made to the '02s.

I bought an '02 EX-V6 Coupe a few months ago. Very glad I did. I love the current car, it's got everything I need, and as others have pointed out, I'll be ready to trade mid-generation of the new car. Any bugs or tweaks will have been made by then, and I feel pretty sure that some minor bugs will creep up that need to be adressed and other minor changes will be made to the new Accords, once they've been around for a model year.
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    The only one of your reservations on the '02 car I have heard of is road/wind noise. On our car, the road or wind noise is an off/on issue really depending on road surface and condition. The wind noise I think is due to the large side mirrors, which are really a positive. By all accounts and in my own opinion, the current Accord has outstanding steering and handling, which is superior to any other mid-size sedan by any measurable statistic.

I would not hesitate to buy another 6th generation car. I also agree with pj23 above about getting into the car's mid-generation cycle. With Honda, a model is typically "updated" mid-cycle meaning it will have a fresh appearance over proven mechanicals.

I do understand your concern about the power increase rumored to be availale in the new car. I would only caution that it is not certain that the new car, especially the sedan, will have 240hp. "Reports" have ranged from saying the V-6 will be a carryover, to being similar to competitive makers. If this is a primary concern, maybe holdoff long enough to get specific details on the new car before making a decision.

The Paul Lienardt artical at Detroit News today (http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/insiders/0207/10/inside-533378.htm) says that all specifcs are embargoed until the end of this month, meaning more information will be available soon.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've read that the main culprit with the wind noise issue is the fact that the side mirrors are folding, unlike the Camry's fixed mirrors. More pieces, seams and things for the wind to whistle around. I know the previous gen Camry didn't have folding mirrors, and I'm pretty sure the new gen doesn't either.

Frankly, I don't find the wind noise to be a problem in my 2000 EX sedan... road noise is the main area that needs work, IMO.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I won't be in the market for a new car for about another year, so I have no problem waiting; but I have seen some really great prices for the 02 models in the Chicago area. You can get an LX 6cyl with sunroof and most everything else for a little over $21,000. If my finances were able to swing it, I would seriously consider buying an 02 now. Apparently, Honda is giving big incentives to dealers to sell off their 02 inventories.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Did anyone realize the TAURUS outsold the Accord in May 2002?
  • cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    Hertz probably accounted for most of those Taurus sales.
  • mtr2mtr2 Member Posts: 7
    My 98 accord 4-dr has a windshield crack (debris from freeway hit the glass) and needs to be replaced. Safe-lite quotes $285.00. Is that reasonable and upto specifications? Out of curiosity I called the dealer and he quoted $650.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Yes, but the Accord has outsold the Taurus for the past 4 years. Also, Ford is back with 0% financing.
  • mtr2mtr2 Member Posts: 7
    My 98 accord 4-dr has a windshield crack (debris from freeway hit the glass) and needs to be replaced. Safe-lite quotes $285.00. Is that reasonable and upto specifications? Out of curiosity I called the dealer and he quoted $650.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Yes but Taurus+Sable if combined-they are essentially the same car-have still been the biggest sellers.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    We had the windshield on a CR-V replaced once. We claimed through insurance and only paid the deductible but I know the actual cost was about $700 Cdn. So $285USD for an Accord windshield actually seems cheap. BTW, how come you can't claim it through insurance?
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    Dealers are usually more expensive than other shops but some questions to ask are: Is it an original Honda windshield? If not, does it have the factory tint or something comparable? Does it have the heavy tint strip along the top?
  • splitoesplitoe Member Posts: 19
    Is it a good price 02 Accord LX v6 for a little over $21000? I am glad I live in Socal, I paid $17018 in May for a SE which includes $590 dealer installed options. My co-worker paid $23650 for a V6 EXL, absolutely top of line.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    How do I know? My aunt is a saleswoman at a Ford dealership in my area. The Taurus just doesn't sale here. Now just about ever car they have as a rental is either the Taurus or Focus. Taurus will probably never outsell the Accord by outright TRUE sales. Fleets to me mean nothing. I like the new Taurus though, it's way better than the previous model, but not better than the Accord.
    You should get your aunt to go work for a Honda dealer!

By the way, off topic, but has anyone else found it painfully slow navigating within TH in the last few days. It seems it's only slow in TH. I'm already on cable. Christ, if I was on a dial-up, I would have fossilized!
    The way the particular dealerships my aunt works for works in simple. She is employed with the Ford Store, but she can go across the street to the Honda store, Mazda store, Lincoln store, or VW store and sell those if she wishes. So in a sense, she does work for the Honda dealership as well. I have to get a new transmission for my 1991 Honda Accord, so I am leaving my car with her soon. I'll have my 1992 Accord DX serviced in October so they can give us a 2003 Accord rental for a weekend!! I can't wait, talk about an extended test drive!
    I have a 1992 Honda Accord DX, and a 1991 Honda Accord EX that I received when my Grandmother passed away last April.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It has been extremely slow and I'm on DSL.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    those sales figures include the sable.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I am on dialup, and it has been so slow I keep another browser open so I can check other forums while I am waiting for something to happen here. :( Seems OK this morning.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    According to the Alpha nerd from Edmunds (I use that affectionately,really), they have been on a back-up server for the last few days and hope to be operating normally soon.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • bunkbunk Member Posts: 66
    It seems worse at peak hours, but it has been slower all around.
    I took a test of the Accord EX V6 again yesterday. I do notice that the car does have body roll and does not grip the road all that well, but it still has a great feel to it.
    One thing I noticed that no one has said anything about is how the front windshield makes you feel like you have no front end on the car. I don't know how to explain it, and I know that it gives you a clear view, but it feels like I don't have a front end and I am just looking through a huge window. I wonder if anyone has noticed this and if anyone has had any trouble in judging how close they are to cars in front of them when parking and such?
    What should I expect from the EX V6 Coupe? I saw an add on edmunds that said they averaged 18 mpg with the 1999??
    That is not so great.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I think you are obsessing. Without disrespect- you are not going to find the "perfect" sedan in the 20-25K price range. The Accord, Altima, and Camry (affectionately known as the mainstreamers) all have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, but none is without its weakness. Most of the said weaknesses really arent that unbearable, and in the end, you will more than likely be happy with what you choose. Whichever vehicle best suits your needs is probably the one you should get. Remember in school how on multiple choice exams, the instructions would read "choose the answer that is most correct" even though all were right but none were exact? This is sort of like that. (Sorry, thats the best analogy I could come up with).
    ~alpha

PS- If you want less body roll... try Passat.
    Do you really sit in your car or do you slouch? I have no problem judging the distance of my front bumper to anything in front of it because I've developed a "feel" for how big the car is.
    #1 of 12  by hondaown  Feb 25, 2002 (03:59 pm)

Pros: 2001 Accord EX V-6 coupe owners like myself undoubtedly enjoy the 200 hp V6. The interior is comfortable. The radio/CD is top shelf.

Cons: At highway speeds, the interior noise level -- especially the whistling coming from the front of the sunroof when the roof is closed but the plastic shade is open - is hideous. I've owned four hondas, including two preludes (1988 SI, 1994 SI, 1983 civic 4dr). I've never heard such a racket, even after turning the radio up. The honda people tell me they hear the noise, as well. They say it's normal. Such clatter for the $25,000 top-of-the-line accord coupe is ridiculous. I've driven quieter used hondas with four times as many miles.

Also, the handling is dicey. You better be ready to make a turn. The transmission shifts oddly, sometimes even going up a hill.

If I had it to do it over, I wouldn't have purchased this bird. I should have tried the Volkswagen Passat V6 or maybe even a used Acura.

vincent

So they're going to scrap the prelude and keep the accord v-6 coupe, which handles like an empty shopping cart. What a joke.

Has anyone else heard the whistling and interior road noise on their accord 2001 EX-V6 coupe? Please, let me know.

vincent

**I have seen a couple of these writings and the "dicey handling" and the no adhesion comments worry me most. I am definetely understanding that there is no perfect vehicle, but things seemed to be narrowing down to the Accord Ex V6 coupe for myself. These issues that I have mentioned definetely give me doubts and I don't have 24000 to blow any day of the year.
    I have been in a pick up for about 7 years now, maybe that is part of the problem, but it seemed that looking through the Accord Coupes windshield gave you very little indication of the size of your vehicle. I don't really know how to explain it any better. It just did not seem like I was in the car I had just seen on the outside. Do you know kind of what I mean? I test drove some other cars and did not get quite the same feel. I will have to pay better attention, but if you say that you get used to it and realize the size of your car and do not have problems with judging how close your front end is to something, I will take your word for it.
    Yes, I know what you mean. My sister has a Chevy TB and the way the new SUV's hood slopes downward, it's almost like looking through the window of a minivan.

But I find that I can quickly adjust to the size of a vehicle after driving it for a short while. It may be different for you, though.
    Does that mini van view on the accord take away from its sporty character? I really do feel like the EX V6 I am looking at has a sporty and sleek look, but when I look out that window, you nailed it, it is like I am looking out of a mini van or something. I think I should test drive again?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is positive. The embargo on press coverage expires at the end of this month, but some of the writers who attended the launch "do" can't wait to say something. Paul Lienert in the Detroit News has already written twice that he was very impressed with the upgraded feel of the new '03 Accord on the road, and he is not always easy to please.

I have said repeatedly that all of the obsessing about the styling was/is misplaced - I am wagering that the actual driving experience in this car is going to reset the standard for the class.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    I have decided to order a 03 Accord EX V-6 Sedan. I will sell my 02 Acura TL-P in August prior to introduction. If the 240 HP rumor is true then kind of dumb to have a 225 HP TL. Of course the TL has some nice features not available on the Accord-- memory seats, Bose, Heated seats, autodimming mirror. I like my TL but fear lose of resale after Accord introduction--especially since an all new TL is less than a year away. Just good timing. Honda usually does good. yes the spy photos from CA are a little blah but the reality of it will be a nice car. I look forward to the 5 speed auto and at least 210 hp in the V-6. 240 may be a bold rumor--240 from a 3.0 V-6 would require heady VTEC tinkering but is possible since TL gets 260 from a 3.2. However, the torque may only be in the 200 range due to small displacement.
    INKY
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've always found my 2000 Accord EX V-6 to have very good handling. Everyone has their own opinion, but coincidentally, MSN just posted a review of the 2002 Accord by Daniel Heraud, and one of his pros was "Perfect compromise between handling and comfort".

Under handling, he said, "The rigid body, excellent suspension and high-quality tires of adequate size (LX and EX) result in neutral handling under most circumstances."

Yes, that's just one man's opinion, but he tests many, many cars and is in a very good position to evaluate the Accord's handling relative to the competition. And his reports reflects my experience exactly.

I just don't get the comments like "handles like an empty shopping cart".
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...as long as you are comparing cars in the same class, the '02 is still a class act in the ride/handling compromise. Comparison tests still rate this car very highly - it's unclear to me what handles better, except perhaps the Altima, but the Altima's ride is a real penalty box compared to the Accord.

And I believe the '03 is going to take this a step further - we'll soon know.
    In the head to head comparisions in C&D in '98 or '99 the Accord handling was praised as best in class, whereas the Passat was cited as having more body roll. Having driven both when we bought our '01, I'd say the Accord is sharper and more firm I know this is an "extreme" test, skidpad numbers were .78g for a '98 Accord LX V-6 sedan and .75g for a '98 Passat 1.8T sedan. Clearly, this is subject to personal perception, but I wonder if it's not influenced by the Passat being "German" and having those rock hard seats.

The fact that you don't see much hood outside the front window of the Accord isn't that uncommon. I can't see anything but windshield wipers in my Contour and don't remember seeing that much in the Passat either. You get use to where the front of the car is anyway after a while, so is it really that big a deal? To me, Honda greenhouses are so much more open than the interior of other cars so as to be a real positive characteristic of the car.
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    Is there a noticeable difference in the way the Accord Sedans and Coupes ride and handle?
    I think everything is relative. The Accord handles very nicely for a family car. When I hop into my wife's Accord from my CL-S, then the Accord seems softer and the steering a little slower. But after driving around for awhile, it seems fine. But like I said, it's all relative. BTW, the coupe is supposed to have a tighter suspension than the sedan.
  • will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    I have a '96 Accord EX with 131K miles. I got warranty work done at 123K miles. They said that warranty work included changing that spark plugs. (sounds like tuneup).

It appears that 120K miles, I should have gotten a tuneup. Does that count as a tuneup?

The tuneup plan does do something with the values. Is that important to do?

I do notice that power decreased since the last tuneup.
    Yes, I think that is counted as a tune-up, if there is still such a thing as tune-up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ME TOO!! :-)
    I have been told by more than one dealer that the new Accords will go for top dollar, but they were also trying to get me into a 02. Does anyone have any idea if the new Accords will go for MSRP and if they do how long will it last that they go for top dollar?
    Can anyone tell me the interest rate they got if they bought a recent accord? I was told three years was at 2.9%, but was just told yesterday that that ended July 1st, I don't know if this is true. I was told that 4.75% is available now for both three and five years.
    Is this the best I can get? I thought they wanted to move these cars?
    Can anyone tell me from past experience if the 03 Accords will have a much higher interest rate or does Honda keep it about the same?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Don't look for any company supported low interest rates on 2003 Accords. Do not look for deeply discounted prices either.

No reason for a company or a dealer to do this on a new model that will be in high demand.

My advise...to anybody...if you happen to LIKE the 2002 Accords than you should buy one! You'll get clearance pricing and low interest rates.

Besides...who knows? you might not like the 2003's as well!
    When we were looking at our Accord, we had an end of the month deadline on incentive finaning too (3yrs/3.9%, 4yrs/4.9%, 5yrs/5.9%). We turned in our credit application before the deadline to "lock-in" to the program. However, the program was renewed the next day. The moral - if they still have '02s left and there are incentives availble on competing cars, I'd think the program would be renewed or a new one put in place.

The '03s MSRP will firm until such time as production is fully ramped up and the supply in place. I wouldn't look for much dealing room or incentives until next summer at the earliest...
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Look at history. New Accord will be 1-2% higher MSRP like the past introductions. Camry competition. However, I bet HOnda again trims the cost to MSRP margin. So the price will be $200 to $400 more but no deep discounts or low financing. But anyone with good credit can get 5.25% for 60 months around here.
    I look forward to a review on the rumored 240 HP 5 speed automatic.
    INKY
    That was good practical advice. BTW, you MUST have some tidbits on the new Accord by now!!
    5-speed auto? Head curtain airbags? 240hp? 220hp? C'mon, spill the beans! :)
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    for bunk and others who need a car but aren't sure what to buy long-term, I thought alpha had good advice: take over somebody's lease.

I haven't used this service, but you might want to check out:

http://www.swapalease.com/

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well...actually I pick up more info here than anywhere else although much of what we read here is strictly rumor and little more.

Honda always manages to keep things "close to the vest" when a new model rolls out and I don't blame them. We need to sell what we've got!

Next month, the Ride and Drive for the 03 Accord takes place. I'll report my thoughts and opinions after that.

As I said before...the initial comments will be completely predictable...

I love it!
    I hate it!
    Why did they....?
    You would THINK they would have....
    I love the tailights!
    What UGLY tailights!
    What a crappy color!
    Oooh, I LOVE that color!
    Looks like a cross between a xxxxx and a yyyyy.
    What an improvement!
    Why did they screw up a good thing?
    Why didn't they make XXXX standard equipment?
    Why did they have to raise the price?

I could go on and on....happens every time!
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    At the risk of repeating myself:
    1. Body roll: C&D rated the Accord's handling as better than the Passat's, and my own test drives confirmed that. I actually went looking for a Passat after reading the road test reviews, but the Accord steered and handled better, and that's what I bought in the end. The Passat was a bit more "supple" on chuckholes, etc., but definitely leaned more on turns than the EX v6 sedan. In addition, if you want even quicker handling, spend about $190 and buy a Neuspeed rear sway bar kit. You can bolt it on in just about one hour. The bar is 3 mm larger than stock, the same diameter and stiffness as the Acura TL Type S bar. The handling is MUCH sharper, and the ride penalty is almost undetectable.
    BTW, the Accord coupe uses a slightly stiffer rear bar (1 mm larger diameter) than the sedan, and slightly lower-profile tires (205/60x16 instead of 205/65x15), so it handles slightly quicker. Fairly subtle difference, though.
    2. Windshield: once you get used to it, the low hood and large windows of the Accord are great; when you get back into something else, it feels a little like a cave. Also, do you know where your feet are when you are walking without looking down? Then why do you need to be able to see the end of the hood to know where it is?
    3. Wind noise is annoying with the screen under the moonroof pulled back; closed it is very quiet. Moonroof squeaks when the gasket gets dirty, but a wash job cures that!
    4. Fuel mileage: during break-in it was mediocre, but now gets 28-29 consistently on the road, at 78-80 mph. City seems to be about 20-22, near as I can tell (I never get a complete tankful without any highway miles).