Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    that those TL guys are trying hard to justify the thousands of dollars they overpaid for their Honda Accord...Opps...I mean Acura TL vs. the Mazda Millenia.
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 95 L Millenia and the fog lights don't work.I've checked the bulbs and fuse and they are fine.I purchased a fog relay switch from the dealer for 22 bucks and installed it & the still do not work.If anyone knows of a recall or have experienced this;please let me know.
    Also about a week ago my transmission went out on my car for the 2nd time in 3yrs but both times my extended warranty paid for the remanufactured tranny.The 1st time I had 63k miles and had only owned it for about 1yr 1/2 (the warranty co. brought this one to the dealer install.This time the same dealer(Jim Ellis in the ATL) used one of there's.Now I have a heavy foot where I'm always using my passing gear daily.I'm not sure it was me or not.By the way I have about 83.3k miles on it now.My extended warranty runs out at 99k or 12/02.I have to hold on this this car right now because I'm buying a home 1/02 at 6.25%.
    Thank for listening but if anyone has an answer to my question it would be greatly appreciated.Happy Holidays :-)
  • ejones31ejones31 Member Posts: 12
    I would like to know if I could use the $4000.00 dealer cash For a new 2001 Millenia towards the negative equity of my trade-in.
  • tcdenvertcdenver Member Posts: 18
    Dealer cash is deducted from the purchase price on the spot.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Hello to all

I'm fixing to buy extended warrenty for my millenia, and I was wondering if any one recommend buying extended warrenty from any where in specific, Also has any of you heard about a place on the internet called WWW.warrentygold.com, if so what do you think of it,I read on there Web site and it sounds very good. I also hear that the credit unions and car insurance company sell those extended warrenty, do any of you recommend where to get one from.
    I'm wanting to buy one very soon, and all of your help is appreciated in advance.

please let me know what you think.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I was tempted to do it, too - but I really couldn't find company that I felt 100% comfortable with as extended warranty provider. Here is another one to look at: http://www.warrantybynet.com/

Because I have 2001 Millenia S I decided to start worrying about warranty in a couple of years from now...

Tomek
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I'm interested in a Millenia but am frustrated trying to find a RELIABLE place to find out what ALL the incentives are on a particular make and model. For instance - Edmunds says nothing available but low apr. Kelley Blue Book shows 1500 back. Nobody lists any dealer incentives like the $4k I've read about here. Does anyone have the facts for me? Thanks in advance. BTW, I
    drive a 99 626 with the 4cyl and have 54k flawless miles on the car. Still rides new - no rattles and doesn't use a drop of any fluids. I'm considering a 2.5 litre Millenia. I guess thats what everyone calls a "P" ??? Let me know your experiences - especially anyone with high miles (anyone w/ over 125k??)
  • tcdenvertcdenver Member Posts: 18
    First, P is 2.5. Second, certain cash to dealer is a private arrangement between carmakers and dealers. Edmunds only include published dealer incentives and rebates. The $4000 incentive on P is not published incentive, but it is factored into the offered price. If you consider the $4000 incentive and $2000 minimum discount, you should be able to get it at least $6000 less than MSRP. The amount of incentives and other promotional offers vary from states to states. I don't know anything about the $1500 rebate. But someone indicated somewhere in Forum that there was a $1500 rebate for Millenium. The salesman that I talked to to recently did not know anything about the $1500. He would not even admit that there was a 4000 incentive. But I was quoted a price which reflects the incentive anyway.

Since you have a flawless 99 626 (I had a similar one for 9 years), you may want to hold onto it a little longer. I flirted with the idea about trading in my old 626, but just could not give up the car and ended up driving it for a good 9 years. I still miss it sometimes. They don't make car like that anymore (with real bumpers and more conservative look).
  • jdigeorgiojdigeorgio Member Posts: 11
    TL feels bigger regardless of what numbers say. TL holds its value much better (understatement). The Millenia S engine is a nightmare after the car is not new anymore (per the Mazda techs - didn't make this up!) The price difference is inconsequential - some will pay more for the Mill and some for the TL but we are talking a couple grand either way. Those who say the TL is an overpriced Accord and like the Mazda because it has no sibling have a point I suppose but I looked at the Accord and TL extensively and drove both. I am sorry - I don't see how people compare the two cars - they are vastly different. Drive both cars before you make that statement and don't just repeat it because you read it somewhere online.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I don't know where you live, so I'll cut you some slack on that, but in Atlanta, I could not touch a base TL for anywhere near 5K of what I bought a base Millenia for, and I am good friends with an Acura salesman! Sorry, but that is not inconsequential in my book. TL's do hold their value better and have a very good engine, but everyone has a different financial position and I just wanted a nice, luxurious car for my wife without breaking the bank.
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    digergerio.....are you just trying to ease your conscience about the fact that you paid too much for a car or do you work for Car and Driver Magazine??...I think the best resolution for you would be to take your Honda...err Acura to the ACURA posting sight where your silly comments about comparing apples and oranges (They are 2 vastly different cars - I mean, come on the TL in any year is just plain UGLY!!) - while the Mill is sleek, refined yet sporty and quite attractive) - when's the last time anyone said they liked your car??...If there weren't 7 of them on every street corner, you may have been awarded that type of conscience easing satisfaction...good day
    If price is "inconsequential" then I'd rather be driving a new Lamborghini Murcielago.

I paid $22K (and I am not the only one here) for a top notch luxury car with a V6 engine. In terms of value and bang for the buck, the TL can't touch the Millenia with a ten foot pole.

Speed
    BTW...I am doing worse mileage with our Millenia P than with my previous Toyota Sienna mini-van. Is the 2.5L a gas guzzler or what?
    When I was shopping for a replacement for 1995 Passat GLX (which held up VERY well, but with 66K miles started to need some investment, and I was bored with it (but don't tell my wife!)) I extensively looked at Acura TL, Lexus IS300 and Millenia S. IS300 is too small and too expensive, so I test drove the TL. Didn't feel very fast, but
    - great engine
    - OK transmission (Lexus IS300 has much better manumatic)
    - spotty interior (the light switch stalk is from 1980's Civic) that - for me - lacked any class
    - no headroom (I'm 6'3)
    - terrible front seats - I was perched on to of the seat, not really sitting in

So, I ended up looking at TL type S just because of the seats. Great car – but with the sticker of ~$32.5K and the lousy trade-in for my Passat that I was offered (in two Acura dealerships) I would have to put up $26K in cash to get it.

Then I test drove Millenia S and was really impressed with it. With the discount of about $6.5K total and better trade-in, I had to shell out $18K. That’s 8K cheaper than TL-S and 6K cheaper than the regular TL – big difference for a poor immigrant from Poland who programs day and night so that kids can go to good schools and the wife can stay at home :-) so I decided to go for it.
    I am frequently getting positive comments (from co-workers, neighbours) and questions like “wow, what a great-looking car, what is it?” A friend of my from Switzerland thought it was a $40K Lexus . . . he was stunned when he saw the two-tone interior, electroluminescent gauges and listened to the Bose stereo.

One more thing: the parking lot of the company I work for is littered with new Passats, Acuras (TL, a couple of TL-S), Avalons and so on – but there is not even one Millenia. And like driving off-beat cars.

Different strokes for different folks, but so far I’m pretty happy with the choice I made.

Greetings-
    Tomek
    In the Boston aree Millenia S is advertised by Quirk Mazda (Sunday Boston Globe):

$32.5K sticker
    -$4K rebate
    -$2.5K dealer discount
    Your price: $25,995

Tomek
    Tomekk made a good point, there are not that many Millenias on the road. I get asked "what car is that?" a lot when I take out my wife's Millenia for a drive.
    also see post 1011....same thing said. I live and work in downtown Boston, granted I'm only 23, but I see roughly between 10-15 Acura TLs daily....it's at that point that I am reassured that I made the right decision (2000 S M.Ed.bought w/4200 miles for $22k flat). I like the feeling of driving something other than than the common car. On another note: if any Millenia owners here would like to protect their front end from highway pebbles, tar, etc...and not use an ugly black leather bra; I had the 3M clear film package applied to the front end (they have a template specifically for the Millenia's) - it looks and performs great - can also have the headlights done. -

Nate
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I don't care what anyone says...I didn't even consider the TL when I was looking for a new car. I'll be 22 in February...my 2001 Millenia S is my 4th Mazda. I started out with a 91 Protege DX (Awesome car...never had any problems with it), then I bought a 94 626 LX (not very reliable...but had a lot of features), then I made the mistake of leasing instead of buying a 99 Millenia Premium. So far I am really enjoying having the S over the 2.5 L engine. The Millenia to me just seems much more refined than the TL. Plus you don't see 20 Millenias at the stop light. Both of my Millenias were the two-tone White/Sand Mica Paint. I love the auto-tilt away steering wheel (TL doesn't have...always impresses my friends). The seats are very comfortable. When I saw the 2001 model I just had to get out of my lease early. This time I am buying. I always get compliments on the car...most people think that it is a Lexus. Acura will most likely never get any business from me. I plan to keep this car about 5-6 years, then move to a Mercedes or maybe a Lexus. I'm not worried about the depreciation...I love the car...if I loose more money on it, oh well! At least I'm driving something different and it's what I want!
    I got about 27 mpg on all highway on a recent trip, which I was pretty pleased with, but the city driving really takes it toll on the MPG. I bet I am lucky to get 20 most tanks. It is a fairly heavy car with a semi small V6 so it just has to work a little harder I guess.
    You can't make a statement without someone taking it personally (yes I work for C&D - you got me). Truth be known, I have bought two new Mazdas in the last 10 years - still have one (98 MPV). I like Mazdas (Japanese ones - not sure about the Ford versions). Almost bought a Millenia twice - back in 95 and again recently when I decided on the TL. Couldn't do it in the end for reasons I gave earlier. Please remember that where you live has a lot to do with the deals you can get and the number of similar cars on the road. For example, around here (N Florida), there seem to be more new Passats than new TLs. I think price is a major reason - and the Passat is a nice car (almost bought one). I just don't trust VW quality - not yet. I was burned by VW repairs in the 80s - owned 2 Golfs, a Jetta and a Sciroco.
    You all made some good points on the Millenia - some of the same reasons I bought the 98 MPV - it was $9k less than sticker and it was fully loaded including leather. Problem is that now it isn't worth much and they are very hard to unload. I know because I traded in an MPV once (a 91 with low miles) and even though it was in meticulous condition with low miles, I got almost nothing for it. I presume you Millenia owners will fully enjoy your cars until that moment - and that's OK since you presumably got a better deal to start with.
    As far as price being inconsequential, I am speaking to the price difference not the price.
    BTW - The price differential between the Mazda and Acura are virtually nil, especially over 5 years. The exotic super car is slightly more I'd say. And yes - I have had several compliments but I'm not out to impress anyone so it doesn't matter.
    Nobody takes anything personally, we're having very civilised discusion... it's a free country, you buy whatever car you like (and can afford :-) )

Now, when it comes to impressing folks - I believe that brands like Acura and Lexus have been INVENTED to impress. Mazda Millenia is just the opposite, it's a "impression sleeper". Honestly speaking, I could've afforded TL-S, or Lexus GS300 (well, this would be stretching a little), but one of the factors in favor of Millenia was that it is more humble brand (and I don't like to spend money). Much less to get keyed in the parking lot - what happened already twice in 10 months to my buddy's Mercedes E430.

Enjoy your TL! Your choice - I'm sure - was right for you, just like mine was right for me.

BTW, C&D is pretty good publication. Good job!

Tomek
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone had any problems with there fog light.That means a new millenia or an older model.If you have please let me know what you did to resolve it.I'd appreciate any help in this area.
  • BlakJackBlakJack Member Posts: 18
    First off, this sure is a friendly discussion group, so I'll risk going off topic here a bit.

I need some suggestions on a car for my dad. I took my dad to John Eagle Acura in Houston to look at some TL and CL but he wants a full size car and started gazing at a 2002 RL. Well the salesman worked his magic and we got to test drive the RL. The first problem was a loud exhaust note, I was in the back seat. My 2nd complaint, is when my dad floored it, it was a demo car, the shifts weren't as smooth as I'd expect a Flagship car would be. I've been digging like a mad man through my piles of C&D magazines for an issue on the RL but I just cant find it.... yet.

Jdigeorgio, what is your opionion on the 2002 Acura RL? Why are RLs so unpopular? Acura realy needs a good V8 is my guess.

Did you know they have the On-Star system now too? LoL, I almost busted out laughing in the car when i saw that.

And back to the Millenia S, I have to admit, They are sexy!! I find myself staring at their lines like some page off of a skin magazine. I am just not bought by the reliability of Mazdas and Nissans. I have a habit of going around town and asking mechanics what they consider the most reliable [non-permissible content removed] cars. Most put Toyotas and Hondas first and the Mazdas and Nissans in the back seat.
    In regards to your question on the 2002 TL: I love the engine and the transmission. The engine just sings like nothing else I have ever driven. Everything just feels well built. Overall, I think it is a superb value. The TL-S is too harsh for me - the ride is stiff and the seats much less comfortable. I would only recommend it to the die-hard enthusiast. And you can't really bargain on the S model - at least not when I was looking. Again, I think the base TL is worth the extra cost over a loaded Accord - I know some will strongly disagree with this and the Accord is a fine car if the extra 2-3 grand makes a difference (and it will with many folks). In all, I recommend the TL highly.
    MAZDA Millenia discussion group????
  • stbissstbiss Member Posts: 10
    I too, was disappointed in the 2.5L gas mileage (18-19mpg in city) when I first purchased my 2000 Millenia. I had previously owned a Ford Probe GT with the same Mazda 2.5L engine and routinely got 22 mpg in the same driving habits. I know the Millenia is heavier, so I was not expecting that high; however I was still a bit surprised at my results. What I did learn after a few tankfuls is this engine will deliver better mileage when driven harder. I started to accelerate faster and reach 4th gear quicker and saw my mileage improve to 20-21 mpg on the same city driving...maybe this will help others - by the way...I love my Millenia - others are amazed when I got so much new car for <$20K...it is definitely a fine vehicle - not like every camcord out there...
    Do you find any difference when using different grades of gasoline? Interesting that you get better mileage when driving harder. I haven't tried that yet. It is kind of funny how my driving style changes based on the car. My Protege I love to flog, where as the Millenia ride and environment is so plush comparatively, I tend to not drive very aggressively so I can savor the experience more! It is my wife's car so I don't get to drive it as often as I would like.
  • BlakJackBlakJack Member Posts: 18
    As much as i like the TL myself, my dad wants a FULL size car..... sigh. On the good side, the dealer had a $6000 rebate off all 2002 RL before Jan 1, 2002 so we got a few more weeks to decide.
  • stbissstbiss Member Posts: 10
    I have always used premium fuel in my 2.5L Millenia...I too tended to drive my Millenia a little more tenderly than my Probe GT, but again found it much better on gas and performance when "pushed" a little harder...
    Must be nice to be able to push the 2.5L and still get good gas mileage. So far on my "S", I'm not getting as good gas mileage as I did on my 2.5L. I guess I'm using the supercharger too much, but it is sooo much fun!
  • milleniabasemilleniabase Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys! I need serious help. I was about to trade in my 97 Millenia for a 2001 one when one day before the whole thing my wheel decided to break down. I had it set on auto-rise thing, and when i put the key in now it does not move. If i try to lower it manually with a button, it makes the quiet "clicking" sound but does not move. Anyone know what that might be, dealer will take off around $500 for my trade in if i don't fix it myself. Help needed ASAP. Thank you
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazda has a service bulletin on that one. Most likely it's the motor and/or harness.

The motor is about $140 and the harness is $17.

Technician time is 30 minutes.
    I'm curious what people are paying for a Millenia P model. Are there any 2001's left out there? Anybody know the most recent dealer incentives on Millenia? Thanks
  • milleniabasemilleniabase Member Posts: 11
    Like i wrote in the message couple of days ago my tilt wheel would not move, well today i started a car and it went down, it moves but seems hesitant. Could it be that it needs oil or something that i could do myself?
  • stevefevstevefev Member Posts: 3
    It had 72K on it and I got it for 9,500 + tax from a Chevy dealer. It's a one owner (a couple in their 60's) they traded it for a new Corvette. I've got what looks like every receipt since new (including the 60K service w/ timing belt) and the original window sticker. I got a 24/24 warranty with it too! The only thing was I had to put tires on it. I ended up putting some Kumho's on it for now.

What a blast to drive compared to our Infiniti I30 at about half the cost

The only two 'issues' I've got is after the new tires and alignment, it seems to be very sensitive to the ruts in the road, it doesn't bother me as much as my wife. Is this normal due to the wider low profile tires?

The other issue is at higher speeds (90+) there is a very noticable droning noise coming from the engine\compressor?\injection? that stops if I stop accelerating but will resume if I step on the gas again. Has anyone else experienced this and is it something that I should be concerned about?

I'm glad to have found this forum.

Thanks!
  • jawhnjawhn Member Posts: 15
    Millenia's have a history of alignment problems. I also own a 95 (L not S) and found a good solution to this problem. Firestone offers a LIFETIME alignment that they regularly run on special for $99 (regularly $180). When I got it the special was not going, but I asked about it and they gave it to me at that price anyway. I take my car in every couple of months or so, or whenever it feels a little off. I know this may be overkill at times but I don't mind and I get great mileage out of my tires.
    Had my first oil change today on my 2001 Millenia S...I was surprised that it was free. I guess that is something my dealership has started doing since my last Millenia.
  • wonpderwonpder Member Posts: 20
    Lucky you , I have been looking for such, 95 to 97 Millenia in North West Ohio and I can not find one. If any body knows of one in this area I would appreciate it. Thank You.
    My oil change at 5K miles was just under $25.

When I bought my '01 S in July, it had slight pull to the right. The dealer fixed it (they seem to be real good and know what they'er doing) and it is still perfect after 6K miles. I noticed with my other cars that alignment can be done badly or very well - it varies from shop to shop, so shop around :-)

After 1000 miles or so I have noticed that the tire pressure (I have Dunplop SP5000 on 17 inch wheels) was 30 psi all around - the sticker by the driver door showed recommended 34 psi front, 31 psi rear for my wheel size. I adjusted tire pressure to recommended levels and have noticed immediately that the car handles even crispier(cprisply? more crisp?) and it takes speed bumps much better than it used to.

I have no 'droning noise' at high speeds, actually the car seems to prefer 85+ :-) all by itself. It's new, though.

Tomek
    Here's the link:

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrberichte/0,1518,114906,00.html

It was written in January 2001. It's in German, so here is short summary: they like steering, handling and ride, stability and low noise at high speeds, don't like lack of torque at low RPM (2.5L is evaluated), don't care about interior, like a lot of standard equipment, complain about high price (32K euros - ~$30K for Millenia P).

Tomek

Okay, my map light burned out and I go to replace the bulb. It wasn't obvious how to get to the bulb so I opened up the manual, it says 'see your authorized Mazda dealer'. I thought this was silly just to change a stinking light bulb.

Does anyone know who how to change the map light bulb?
  • steevo2steevo2 Member Posts: 33
    When I open the drivers door, the interior lights and door lights sometimes come on, sometimes not. The open door chime does not work. When I unlock the doors with the remote, the interior light no longer comes on. All bulbs are good. Anyone experienced trouble with interior lighting like this?
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    The door switch contacts are corroded. Take the switch apart clean the contacts (sandpaper), put some grease on the contact, reassemble and your good to go.
  • raykoehneraykoehne Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just bought a 2001 MIllenia S and I LOVE it. It's my first import, so I have a bit to learn about it. Any other sites I should check out?

Thx, Ray
    I understand that there is $4000 rebate on 2001 Millenias. Our there any out there? Let me know if there are in your area and what part of the country you are from. I'd like to try to buy one @ about $300 over invoice with a $4k rebate. I think that would be a sweet deal.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Its slingshot. I am back and still interested in the Millenia. Quirk in Quincy, MA is offering 2001 Millenia S with winter package for $24,999. It may include the larger tires also.

Probably best deal is to what for left over 2002 models at end on next year.
    What size would those larger tires be?
    Somewhere in this board I read references to removing a White Box that I believe is a resonator to dampen engine sound.

Has anyone tried this? What were the results? And how would some do this to their Millenia S (looking for detailed instructions here)?

Thanks
    Our local Mazda dealer in NW Arkansas has advertised a 2002 Millenia P for 24,999. Seems high based on Carsdirect.com. I would think that a 2001 S for $24,999 is a pretty good deal.
    Hey - everybody check your Friday or Saturday car adds and let me know what you see advertised on Millenias. Thanks!