Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Czesc, Rafal...

Let me respond to your MM top 10:

1.power: no V6 should make less than 200 hp and regular M.M. is not even close.
    So I bought S
    2. Fuel usage: 20 MPG in city with so little power is a joke. There are cars with 50 to 80 HP more with up to 1 liter of displacement more that are getting the same numbers.
    There is also Mercedes 230 coupe with 6 speed manual that gets 20 MPG. Remember, look at real life figures, not mfg's claims.
    3. Parts: Dealer only = very high prices.
    Not a factor for me
    4. After market = minimal
    Before market = big $$$ discount
    5. theft - since the car has not been mechanically improved/changed since its introduction in 95 many parts are the same which creates a market for second hand parts. Items like computers and other parts are expensive new and those who can only afford older Millenias will look for alternative sources.
    a) It's been improved
    b) give me a break

6. Millenia is a rater popular car with young fellows in New York where I reside. You guys know what that mean?
    I glad I don't live where you do. In my neighbourhood the most popular wheels are Lexus GS300 and any SUV...
    7. End of the line = in couple of years the car will no longer be manufactured.
    OK, and...? BTW, I like driving off-beat car. Not a factor for me
    8. technology that was developed in mid 90's is no longer competitive with what is available on the market.
    I disagree, it's competitive. What does the newest Mercedes Benz C320 AMG use? Yes, Lysholm supercharger - pretty much same thing as in the Millenia.
    9. MAzda 626 with exactly the same engine cost couple of grand less. If one is that vain spend the extra $$$$ and get a Lexus.
    Lexus GS300? That's $40K+ compared to $26K I paid for my '01S. And when you compare 626 and Millenia, you're WAY off track.
    10. transmission = not the best on the market.
    Good enough for me

I did test drive Maxima SE before I bough the MM, and for me it wasn't even a contest for a second. The Maxima is noisy and twitchy on the highway at speed, doesn't track straight, wonders around. Millenia tracks straight and true without any effort on my part - so after 300 miles you emerge from the Millenia relaxed, all tensed up from the Maxima. Few years ago my Stanza GXE behaved exactly same way (and quite a few dashboard bits in the Maxima are still the same as they were in this Stanza!).

God luck with whatever you've bought. I'm glad we're in a country where we have the choice ... different strokes for different folks!
    Powodzenia,

Tomek
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    Czolem Tomek!

To reply to your post:

1. power: MM V6 S only makes 210 hp, 45 less than Maxima with no real improvement in mpg. While 10 or 20 hp difference is not much, that 45 will be noticed. Also Maxima with its aftermarket goodies can gain extra 50hp (not an option for S since it already has a supercharger).
    2. Fuel: you cannot deny that MM both regular and S are thirsty, one can only look at many posts of drivers wondering why their MM are getting 18/19 mpg in the city.
    3. Very high prices for parts - not only for big items like engine or transmission but little ones. My brother has Mazda and every little part costs him an arm and a leg. Granted I do not think you will pay 600 for a window motor (lexus 400 price for this item), it will be expensive to repair MM.
    I am sure you have heard of the 60.000 mile tune up for MM. It will set you back a couple hundred dollars . You may not keep the car that long but all those problems that I have mentioned will affect your car's price. People do not want hassle and MM is capricoius, therefore the price that people are willing to pay for a used MM are not very high.
    4. After market does not exists for MM because there is very little that can be done inexpensively to improve its power. I am not a person that has 10 grand to waste on engine and suspension mods so it is not terrible important but there are some people who like to tinker with their cars and the lack of aftermarket is just another one of shortcomings of MM.
    5. Theft - yes the car has been improved but there are many parts from the newer MM that will fit into 95 - 98 MM. Imagine that some poor fellow has just blown his supercharger. How much is a new one I am guessing 3000 to 5000 which is the amount of $$$$ this guy can save in 12 months or he can contract this part and get it for 500.
    Now where do you think the thief is going to look for a MM??? NYC where no sane person keeps his brand new car on the street??? Trust me any car can be stolen in most parts of this country. Unless you live in a gated community and park your car in garage, it can be stolen. When I was younger I was privileged to own a Corvette and it was difficult to keep it in one piece. Mind you I had 5 alarms and a garage and it still was a hassle.
    6. Living in NYC - hey it is not that bad. There is plenty to do here and the place is jumping. I guess I could move and live in some boring place where every house and every face is the same but I am too young to retire and die in Florida. Not just yet. NY is the best and has super people. I used to drive yellow taxi during my college years here and the memories I have as a result are unforgettable. Btw, if you ever take your MM down to NYC please be careful.
    7.Off beat cars - well we all like driving exotic cars, the only problem is that MM is not that "off beat" in NYC. It is also similar to 626 especially 2001 which makes it rather common.
    8. technology - no navigation system, regular transmission that have been commented negatively by many, aging design etc, etc.
    9. There are numerous post where people state that their car was mistaken for a Lexus. MM is not a Lexus and just because somebody who has problems seeing well or just celebrated his or her 70th birthday, does not mean that MM is similar to a Lexus. In my opinion it is not. it is however very similar to 626 and yes got 626 and MM share a number of components: V6 engine and transmission being two of them MM base vs. 626 V6. Check it for yourself. As for Lexus IS 300 has more power and costs around 3200 which is 6000 more than your MM S. It looks nicer, has 5 hp more without the trick of supercharger and will be produced for a while. Not too mention the quality and treatment you get from the service plus the prestige and self satisfaction of owning a Lexus. Ohh and please do not tell me that MM is much bigger. Both of us have grown up on little Fiats, Ladas, Skodas, and WVs and unless you are over 350 pounds (not likely) Lexus IS 300 will fit you just fine.
    10. Transmission - it may be good enough for you, but it is not very good at what it supposed to do. I have driven both Maximas and Millenias (base) and there is no comparison Max has a better tranny period.

Please do not get me wrong MM base or S is a very good car that will last 100 maybe even 200 thousand miles but there are better cars on the road in my opinion. Yes for 22000 to 26 for S you do get a lot for the $$$$ but I would prefer Acura TTL, Nissan Maxima, and probably Honda Accord 2003 V6. Be that as it may, Mazda Millenia is a good solid car that is better build than American cars and most European ones.

Powodzenia
    Not to prolong this, but . . . to each his own.

I made my choice and I'm pretty happy with it. I intensly disliked the Maxima, and the IS300 WAS too small for me (I'm 188 cm tall).

You're making 2 basic mistakes: talking about Millenia S as if it were the base model; and you seem to think it's the same platform as 626. It's not.

Gas mileage: I also had Passat GLX VR6 - stickshift - I'd get 23-25 mpg. It had 172HP. So, with 210HP and auto I still think 20MPG (12l/100km) is OK.

Parts prices: just before I got rid of my Stanza, it needed $800 investment in exhaust (at 72000 miles) - a piece of steel pipe was $500 alone. I wouldn't expect anyting else for a Maxima.

Passat GLX VR6 - even if nothing broke, every visit" to the dealer was 200 - 350 or so.

Design: I do think Millenia is one of the best looking cars on the street. That's my opinion, though. And you know who had thought it was a Lexus? My co-worker from Switzerland (yes, an European), who is 38 years old. He called the car beatiful, and literally interrogated me about for half an hour - he liked it so much.

Living in NYC: well, again, different strokes for different folks. I have 2 boys - I'd never want them to grow up in NYC. Boston suburbs are perfect for me, thank you very much - and the downtown is 25 minute ride on the commuter rail away (for $7 round trip).

Anyway, I'm enjoying my S, the 6 disc in-dash changer, 210 HP, unbelievable cornering, ...

What do you drive, again?

Pozdrownienia,

Tomek
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I love my Millenia, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks! I traded in my 1999 Base for a 2001 Millenia S. If they are such bad cars...why am I on my second Millenia?????? My car almost always gets mistaken for something else...I get Acura a lot now...b/c of the new grill...I got Lexus all the time on the old one. I love the way the car looks, feels, drives...everything. When I went to trade in my 99...I didn't even look at Acura TL, Infiniti I30, or Lexus ES300 or IS300...only other car I test drove was Mercedes C240...but I decided it was way overpriced...so I stuck with the Millenia.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    You wrote:

"I did test drive Maxima SE before I bough the MM, and for me it wasn't even a contest for a second. The Maxima is noisy and twitchy on the highway at speed, doesn't track straight, wonders around."

I think you drove a Maxima that needed wheel alingment. My Max tracks straight as an arrow at high speed.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I can't beleive I'm responding to his stupid ego nonsense comment, but what the heck.

Some reason why I didn't even want to test drive a Maxima:

1. The ugliest rear design of any car (sentra is a close second)

2. If I get one, friends/co-worker wiil be making fun of my maxima's Neon look-a-like ugly butt.

3. Nissan designer just can't design a decent looking rear end for any of it's car; from the droopy Sentra to the droppier J30, we all know how bad the rear of Maxima looks. Even Maxima's twin the I30/I35 copied it's tail light design from Millenia's tail light.

I don't think many Maxima owners in their right mind can say that their car has a very good looking rear end. Yes it does have a good engine, but that's about all it's got.

Oh BTW, according to this link, Maxima is the 27th most stolen cars in the US while Millenia is not even in the top 100; why do you even have to bring up that subject

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001/12/11/stolen-list.htm

BTW, I can't believe you trust one old mechanic rather than thousands of Millenia owners who speaks of their own experiences about their millenia on the internet forums like this one. How do you know if he've even worked on one; DUH.

Now go back to you Maxima forum and share your sorrow with other maxima owners and think about a way to put a car bra on your car's rear end.

The Maxima is an awesome car, you are a fool for judging it on styling alone. I happen to like the styling, and over 100,000 people that buy Maximas every year agree with me. I got a Millenia because the Mazda dealers are giving the car away, they can't sell it (not even at invoice). So while I think the Millenia is a great car for $22k I would have NEVER paid what Mazda wants me to pay for the car. So while we are throwing stones at these cars, lets not forget that the Maxima is getting re-designed (mainly because of the Altima) while the Millenia getting scrapped (mainly because it doesn't sell and Mazda is tired of losing money on it).

Peace

Speed
    Speed,

last summer when shopping for a car, I test drove Maxima SE. In my opinion it was louder than my 95 Passat GLX, and when going straight it required constant corrections to keep it straight. The steering wheel didn't center itself fast enough / strong enough (test drive Audi TT or any Bimmer, and you'll know what I'm talking about). This behavior made me tired after a few minutes on the higway - I had to keep on working to keep the car straight. The salesman suggested it was the SE, so I took out GLE for test drive. Same thing.
    Three more things about Nissans:
    - my neighbour got rid of his Maxima SE after 6 months, because his wife didn't want to drive it - she said it had "oversensitive steering" (they have Acura RL now)
    - few years back my Nissan Stanza behaved in a very similar way (although less pronounced)
    - the new Altima in Car&Driver family sedan comparo test (finishes third) is described by some testers as "skittish" and "impossible to drive straight" (on the other hand, Canadian Driver describes it as tracking perfectly straight and very stable at speed - go figure!!! Lokks like a test drive is in order...)

Anyway, if your Maxima is good for you and you like it - that's great. I decided to go with Millenia S..., that's all.

Also in my case I already new the Nissan service at Quirk in Braintree, MA - it's pretty bad. The guys at Gallery One Mazda in Norwood, MA - so far only one visit - have been great. They listen and don't make you prove your innocence. When I said my brakes were pulsating when slowing down from high speeds, thay said "OK, we'll look at it" - and they acknowledged the problem and replaced disc rotors all around. At VW service it would have to be a long and bloody battle...

Enjoy you Maxima -

Tomek
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    If you really think about most cars are very similar in styling, options - to me it came down to which car was more comforatable and more bang for the buck. When I married my wife she had a Maxima GLE - fully loaded, low miles, great car - I had always wanted one... Well I found one major problem with the car - it was difficult to get in and out of the car - and I'm only 6'1. We sold the car and replaced it with a Mustang then eventually the Millenia, which is my car and I love it! It beats the Maxima for luxury hands down - while the Maxima does beat the Millenia sporty wise. However, there are better sport sedans out there! A co-worker of mine also bought a Maxima when I purchased my Millenia - he paid $3500 more for a similar priced car... hmmm

Also, why would one buy the Maxima instead of the Altima now? The new Altima is the same size as the Maxima for a lot less.... Sounds to me that the Maxima will be doing a lot of changing or going away!

The last thought on why I purchased the Millenia is that I like to be a leader - driving a car that not many others have (without the high cost of the exclusive cars) instead of following the pack with an Accord, Camary or Maxima - I still enjoy my 1988 RX7!

Those are just my feelings!
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    Seems like we scared away Mr. Maxima....I agree with most that the Maxima is one hell of an ugly rear end, that was a major factor when I was considering a 2000 Mill. S or a 2000 Maxima SE- besides there is a Maxima on every corner of every block in downtown Boston where I live - I don't like to follow!...They are both excellent vehicles and should be left as that.
    jplyman,

The Altima is a nice car, but the interior is lacking big time. I wouldn't mind considering an Altima when Nissan spends a few $$ on the better plastics and materials.

Tomek,

I enjoy both my Maxima and my Millenia so I get the best of both worlds.

I am looking forward to the Mazda 6, from the specs and pics that car has real potential to be a big seller for Mazda.
    Have only seen the Altima from the outside - unique but notice the stats were almost identical to the max.

Regarding the 6 - have you seen and heard about the nex RX 8 - that should be sweet.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Get this guy outta here!!!!!!!!!

What is he talking about NYC and guys owning Millenia there.Foe Christ sake I use to live in the Bronk, when I leased my Millenia in late 1998,you could actually count on one hand how many Millenia's were around.So don't give me that crap about guys wanting to steal Millenias,its more like guys wanting to steal Maximas.They are so popular in NYC its unbeleivable,I think they should take away the PEDESTRIAN TITLE CAR from the Camry and give it to the Maxima.

And what is he talking about Horse Power-"any car with a v6 should produce more than 200 horses."
    Tell that to BMW with their 325 model.That car cost way more than a Millenia and if I am not mistaken only pumps out 184 horses.

Please stay over there on the UGLY SEDAN BOARD and leave us alone on the PRETTY SEDAN BOARD.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's just move on.

If we really want to talk about the Millenia vs. the Maxima, anyone is free to go over to our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board and start up a discussion.

Meanwhile let's just calm down and remember that your Membership Agreement requires civil and respectful conversation in the Town Hall. If you can't find a way to politely disagree with another poster, then just don't respond to the message at all.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Calm down Billy, you are getting too worked up, take deep breaths!.
  • 9sunset9sunset Member Posts: 23
    I agree, lets talk about Millenia and forget about Maxima for now (don't forget I used to own a 99 Maxima as mentioned on my previous posting).
    Next morning I call up a few Dunlop tire dealers for advise regarding radial pull and surprisingly none of them interested in solving the problem (these tires are basically as good as out of warranty). I went back to the Mazda dealer and they refer me to another tire dealer. This is where the action starts; First of all the technican measure the tread depth of all tires and then proceed to up my car up the hoist and start manually spinning the wheels. Turn out one of the alloy rim was wobbling badly, it must have hit something real hard. The dealer is now ordering a new rim for me and we will know whether it will eliminate the pulling problem hoping by the end of this week. I will keep you folks posted.
    How much are going to charge you for a new rim??..and do you the alloy's or chrome??...in 17"??...Just wondering...........
    I own a P model and was wondering how much difference the fuel will make - I know with the S you must use Preimum fuel but do you need to also with the P?
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    jplyman,

My new '01 P has about 4500 troublefree miles at this point. Except for the initial fill of 93 octane the dealer supplied, it has seen nothing but 87 octane.

The performance of the car has been flawless, and uneventful. I see no power decrease, and there is no sign of ping or knock. This is an old subject, and there is also a thread about using regular gas in V-6 engines in the "Sedans" catagory of Edmunds.

In my experience with my previous V-6's, unless you have a high compression engine, or the car pings on regular, there is no reason to run premium fuel in it. The compression ratio of the Mazda 2.5L V-6 falls well within what is normally accepted for 87 octane fuel. And regular gasoline has the same injector cleaners premium does.

Others will disagree with me on this, and say you have to run premium. It will have to be your decision in the long run. But with the 2.5L Mazda, premium is "recommended", not "required". Check your owners manual, but it only briefly touches on this subject.

Incidentally, with the complaining I have seen in this thread about fuel milage, I must add that I am averaging 21/22 MPG overall. With my lowest being over 20 MPG, and my best about 28. I find that satisfying for an almost two ton car, and better by about 2 MPG than my 3.8 V-6 Oldsmobile 88, which weighs within 65 pounds of my Millenia. This is not an econobox. It is a beautifully executed, and very European near luxury vehicle.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    both engines have a knock sensor that retards the timing when you use lower grade fuel. Power will be off a bit due to retarded timing, but this will depend on temperature and engine load.
    Thanks maltb, and I am aware of the automatic retarding of timing. That is the reason for saying I have seen no power decrease, and the power is very good, despite some leadfoots complaining it needs more power. To that I would say, if you are looking for a Japanese version of a '60's era muscle car, look elsewhere. That is not the message sent by the Millenia at all. It is instead an excellent all around drive, and a great sport touring sedan.

I researched for months before buying a Millenia. I considered and drove Maxima, Camry, '02 Altima and others. None are perfect, but I preferred the Millenia to all the others, and the deal I got on my new '01 P ($21650) knocked the others out of any consideration. This is truly a superb car and can be bought at givaway prices.
    Thanks for your input on the fuel.... I find that this car has very good mileage (my other car is a Jeep) and good enough pick up for my needs (if I want to race then I will get out the RX7).

One thing I do like is the transmission (I have an '02) - the transmission based on how heavy your foot is will switch between Econo and Power shift mode - this makes a big difference in the power of the Mil.

These are great cars - with an even better price!
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    Great deal on your Millenia! Question for everybody - I know Mazda is offering $4k back on 2001s. How much more of a discount do you think is valid for buying a 2001 car in 2002? I understand that there may still be plenty of '01s out there.
    Offer them 5k below invoice - one thing that I have heard though is that the '01 had a rough transmission that was fixed in 02 - I'm not sure as I have an '02 - as there were no '01 left in Atlanta. I would try offering about 20,000 for a P and then add option.

Good Luck!
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    I have seen posts from other '99 S owners who are experiencing a puff of grayish exhaust smoke upon startup after the car has been sitting for a couple days.

Mine too does this and I would like to identify whether any owners of models after '99 are also experiencing this. Also if anyone has gotten the dealer to resolve this, please let me know whether it was a leaking supercharger seal or valve seals.

I'd like to get this resolved before my lease expires in 6 months so I feal comfortable buying it.
    I have had my "P" since early September. At first, the transmission did seem rather abrupt at times. However, as it was used, it got smoother, until now it is a very smooth operating transmission. I don't know if there is a learning function engineered into the control module, or if the improvement is due to the parts wearing in. Or possibly I use it differently, but I don't think I have changed my driving style at all.

At any rate, it is now a very suitable match for the rest of this highly refined car.
    I have the 2000 Millenium Edition and do to see in * cold weather* only a puff or rather small stream of whiteish smoke come from the exhaust...I don't know if this is normal but figured the info may help....good luck!
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Carsdirect.com is offering the $4000 cash incentive on the 02 model, too.
    Transmission: fwatson, that's funny you should mention this - just today I was wandering about my transmission - on 01 S - being much smoother than in the beginning when I got the car. And it will even upshift in the morning (just after pulling out from the garage) to the third when going up hill (I used to have to push the "hold" button to force that shift.

Smoke: I can't really see it from behind the wheel :-) but it seems that in cold, damp weather there is a lot of vapor? white smoke UNTIL the car warms up, which takes 7-10 minutes.

That's my $0.02

TOmek
    Wonder how many miles you have on your 01 S before
    getting smoother?
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Update

I asked my service department manager to set up a meeting with me and the mazda representative so we can discuss the grey smoke issue, So I spoke with the mazda representative, the grey smoke upon startup after the car sets for a few days is normal for these cars( S MODEL), it's caused by a very small amount of oil seeping through the supercharger seal but this only occur when the car has been setting for a few days, So if your car does it when you drive your car every day, or upon start up at every time, then there is a problem, and then your super charger may then need replacing.
    It was 6800 miles when I've noticed the difference. I still can't believe how pronounced it was, almost like somebody threw a switch. I hope it'll stay this way! (although if it is "intelligent" transmission, as a programmer I know it is much easier to program artificial stupidity than artificial intelligence :-)

Tomek

P.S. Today, after a training session, I was walking towards my car with a fellow student (somebody very high in IT in a HUGE company, who works for fun, given his seven-figure savings account and six-figure salary). When he saw the Millenia, he exclaimed "wow, what a beautiful car, great lines... wait a second, it's not the new S-class?" :-) Haha, he overestimated what I can afford on my salary and a few stock options. Anyway, I had to do 10 minute "show and tell" about the Millenia. I think he'll ditch his Volvo.
    Hi all!
    Sorry for being away for few days. However, I am back. To answer some of the issues.
    First of all to answer the fellow who doubts the amount of MM in NYC, there are plenty of them here. Granted since you said that you were living in the Bronx - not the best and most economically successful part of NYC, maybe you were the only one to have MM in the Bronx, but trust me there are many of them in other 4 boroughs.
    As to compare MM to Max, hey I just posted my top 10 which were all facts not opinions like some of the responses given to my top 10. If you think that Max does not compare to MM than pick any other car in the category. Honda Accord V6, Acura TTL, Audi A4, Nissan Altima, Subaru WXR, Toyota Camry V6. They are all within MM price range and some are much faster than MM base or S. Yes maybe Mazda is better looking but it is not faster or better constructed.
    As to trusting me mechanics who knows about cars much more than most of the folks whose knowledge is based on owner's manual. I used to have a Corvette that was regularly put to is limits and consequently required more maintanence than regular cars and he knew what he was doing when it came to fixing my rocket. This brings me to another comment. Tommekk if you think the MM can corner you should try a vette. I drove MM and cornering was OK, true better than Ford Escort or Nissan Stanza but Vette, it could not touch with a 10 foot pole.
    As for MM being such a good solid, and "pretty sedan". it is true but as for everything in life there must be a reason why they are not selling. And they are not. MAybe people are aware that MMs are not such a great bargain????? I consider Americans to be on the whole a bunch of pretty smart people who can spot a good deal when they see one. So what gives??? How come they cannot see this super buy that MM is???????? There are many people on edmunds.com that seem like they take car shopping seriously yet if MM is IT why are they staying away??? please do not tell me it is because of advertising. Most people know of Mazda and they do not need to see car commercial 24/7 to be swayed one way or the other.
    And for MM being a "European sedan". A passenger car that carries 4000 pound could be called European truck but not car. With gas price at around $4 a gallon only fools or rich (vain)folks would drive it around town. As said before I spent my summer vacation in Germany and Scandinavia and I did not see MM there on the road. Mind you, I visited one of the most developed countries in the world and no MM in sight. ( plenty of Volvos, BMW and Mercedes S class), but no MM.
    And finally come on Tomekk, new S class and MM. Anybody who confuses the two does not know much about cars. Maybe, you are not aware but in this country many people will complement one another and try to make the other party feel good by saying pretty things about their cars, houses, kids etc. You know people here also smile a lot, that does not mean that they are happy. I have a friend at work who is 360 pounds and people tell him all the time that he looks good and looks very strong. Now I know it is not true and people who are telling him those little feel good lies do too, but the poor fellow does not understand that he is super fat and if he does not change his diet his 401K will be well spend.... by his wife , possibly with another fellow. As they say Do not believe the hype.

P.S. Tommekk do you know the saying "chwale to co mam". I hope you are not one of those people. As to what I am driving currently. Well, you will laugh it's 1986 Mercury Grand Marquee MM is much nicer and faster but My MGM cost me only $400 and is in perfect condition. I had to sell my vette (wife + accident + insurance + down payment) made me do it. Ciao to all!!!!! Saxon II
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    My Fellow Millenia owners,this guy is nothing but touble,say a prayer for him.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    No one cares about what you have to say! We all love our Millenias! I was showing real estate the other day...my client was complementing me on how nice the car looking on the outside and inside. No matter what you think...the Millenia is under advertised...if people know about the Millenia...how come everyone has to ask me what it is? I'll point out once again...I am on my second Millenia...not too mention...my 99 Millenia was $28,500 for a base (sticker $30K...actually paid $25,000...b/c it was a demo)....my 2001 Millenia was $27,500..(sticker over $33K) In 1999 I felt that the base was worth that! I am only 21 years old...but I am a Business Management Student at Georgia Tech and a real estate agent at RE/MAX. I am not a fool...I feel that the Millenia is a lot of car for the money.
    Hey, we get the point. You don't like the Millenia and you think there are better vehicles out there (Vette corners better, 86 Grand Marquis is cheaper and so on). OK. You've said it. You have your opinion - but so do I (and others in this forum). We've stated it, we know where we all stand - and that's enough. Don't prolong an idle discussion. Personlly, I don't have time for this.

Tomek
    saxonii is what is commonly called a troll on internet discussion boards. His purpose is to upset and anger other members of the forum by making derogatory and inflammatory statements that are counter to the interests of the other contributors.

I will personally refrain from giving him the personal attention he seeks. From here on I will ignore his disruptive behavior.
    Ever read a review done by a major publication about the Millenia? Every single one says it's a good car for the money. The biggest flaw I've ever read about was Mazda's poor marketing of the car.

Face it, the car was never intended to be a Mazda. It was designed to launch the Amati brand which never happened and Mazda happened to pick up the gravy. It's an excellent car, but Mazda has never spent much on letting the public know because it didn't fit in with it's target.

The MM doesn't fit my needs, but I was reminded last night when I went out with my dad just how much car you get for the price.
    TROLL? I love it, wasn't aware of this term. Fits like a glove.
    Tomek
    I have to agree about a point with Saxon - that a vette corners better than the MM (I sure hope so) isn't that what it is design for?

However, when people see me in my MM they don't think hey I wonder if he compenstating for a lack of man hood like they do when they see a guy in a vette.

When people ask me who made my car they can't beleive its a Mazda, also the dealerships here in Atlanta don't have the MM on the show room floor.

But I think all this guy is having car envy - He will probably end up buying a used Yugo!
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I agree with fwatson. I'm just going to ignore all of his comments from now on; jerks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I just made a post on another board that apparently needs to be said here as well:

This board is for discussing the Mazda Millenia. Some comparisons are inevitable and welcomed, but extended discussion about the merits of one vehicle vs. another belong on our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board. If a suitable discussion does not already exist, anyone is free to create a new one.

It really isn't necessary for anyone to repeatedly bash a vehicle in that vehicle's dedicated discussion. Everyone's opinion is welcome, of course, but once you've made your point and you've made it clear you are not interested in this vehicle, it probably is time to move on to other discussions.

Meanwhile, everyone here needs to stay mindful of the Membership Agreement's requirement for respectful and civil discourse. If you are unable to respond to a post in a polite manner, then no response is the best course of action.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    maltb:
    "Ever read a review done by a major publication about the Millenia?"

Yes I have. I researched the Millenia and several other cars thoroughly. I have printouts of many tests, as well as frequency of repair reports. The result of all of them is that the Millenia has been excellent, but a very well kept secret. After all the research, test drives of several brands, and dealer experiences, I made my choice a 2001 Millenia "P". Of all the cars I studied before buying, I found the least complaints about the Millenia by both owners and testers. The only repeated complaint is the result of many people that are looking for hot rods, not sport sedans.

My only reason for rejecting the "S" is that I do not need the additional power of the supercharger, and therefore saw no reason to spend the extra $2000, or take on the extra maintenance of that engine. My "P" also runs happily on 87 octane fuel, a big no-no with the "S".

I think if Mazda had promoted the Millenia with a good advertising campaign, and given it the up front floor space it deserves, it would have become a top selling car. On the other hand, we would not then have been able to get the fantastic deals we got on our cars.
    Finally the dealer replaced the alloy rim with no question ask under warranty. By the way NEVDRANI, responding to your message# 1119, it is alloy rim not chrome. After installing new rim, took for test drive, big different from before but still feel a bit pulling to the right. Took it to Dunlop tire dealer to check for radial pull, they swap front tires, it seems doing better. I will try it for a few more day to see if problem been solved. Hey TOMEKK, thank you for your input on "smoother transmission", my MM had 5300 miles so far, hopefully it will behave positively like yours when it reach 6300 miles.
    Test drive my car for 2 days, so far still pulling to the right especially at low speed;
    wonder why?
    It is not the tires, what else is wrong with this
    car? Alignment was done back on December 12,2001;
    would the wobble rim affect the adjustment or
    sent wrong data to the computer. or could it be cause by a defective caster, strut or spring? This wobble tire
    was mounted at rear when they were doing the alignment.
    Very frustrating experience, can anybody help?
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    I have a '01 Millenia S, ownership experience has been lovely to date. The improvements in the '01/'02 Millenias were on key, the front & rear sway bars reduce body roll tremendosouly. The '01/'02 literally drive like an entirely different car when compared to its predecessors.

On average, I have noticed new car consumers gripe about the following feature based "deficts" the Millenia has over its competing models:

Xenon Lights
    GPS
    Horsepower (this is biggest of the three gripes)
    4spd automatic transmission

With the exception of the above, the Millenia's build quality and use of technology is up to par and even exceeds the standards of its competion. Believe me, my comments are based on actual inspections and several test drives.

Performing a pound for pound comparison of the '01/'02 Millenia over cars in the likes of the: Acura 3.2TL, Nissan Maxima, Ifiniti I35, Cadillac Catera, BMW 3 Series and say VW Passat; will easily demonstrate that the Millenia is a prime contender.

Now I will briefly address two of the "deficits" I listed above.

4spd trans:
    A five speed automatic (manumatic) is purely a selling gimmick; less than 10% of purchaser rely on using the manumatic feature or gears other than "D" for daily driving.

Horsepower:
    The Millenia S use what is called a Centrifugal Supercharger, which is not designed to be a rev-happy engine at low RPMs. However, its 210hp will out-run cars like the TL, I35, MAX, etc when the tach reachs 3000RPMs with ease. (been there, done that) This is what performance enthusiasts really like about the Centrifugal Supercharger. Power delivery on a Centrifugal S/C doesn't display power-output exhaustion either, a common deficit with normally aspired engines. (TL, MAX, PASSAT etc)

Cars like the TL SType, and Maxima SE have like 250-260 HP but aren't hardly fast & furious! Take one for a test drive if you haven't; I was taken by surprise to experience how poorly thier engine delivers all "that" horsepower. All this, "let's see how much, non-deliverable horsepower we can make" game that auto manufactures are playing is a sad joke folks! Here's prime example on how horsepower numbers can be miss leading, the Subaru WRX with only 226hp and a 6000RPM fuel cut-off will run circles around 260hp Max SE 6spd any time of the day.

Bottom line up front, if you recently purchased a Millenia, you made economically sound decision and have also purchased a really reliable vehicle.

Oh yeah, if resale value is a major issue to you, just lease a Millenia.
    I love those GPS systems... until I have to pay for them. I just have a fundamental problem paying $2000 for replacement for $10 worth of maps. It only makes sense if you're gadget addict AND money is no object.

Resale value on Millenia should be measured from actual purchase price ($26K in my case), and not from sicker ($32.5K in my case) as all the car magazines and web sites (including Edmunds) seem to do.

acabral1, what the heck is the "power-output exhaustion"?

Tomek

P.S. To Pat, our all-powerfull host: is the word "heck" considered an obscenity by Edmunds? BTW, could you please publish a list of words we shouldn't use :-) I'm asking so that I know what is and is not allowed - and for practical reasons, I presume list of all allowed words would be rather long...
    Per Pat's sugestion I have setup a discussion topic comparing the MM to anything.

What can I say - unlike most we are passionte about our cars.