Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    WalMart has Fram Sure Drain oil plugs available, They don't list one for my 2001 Millenia 2.5L, but they do list the 2000 Millenia with that engine.

Now to the point. Can anyone here tell me if Mazda changed the oil drain plug size from 2000 to 2001? I can't see why they would have, as it is the same identical engine. I'm just trying to confirm my suspicion that the SD-2 plug listed to fit the '00 Millenia will work for my '01.

Thanks
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    Hello to everyone this is my first time in here. On the sure drain oil plug you may want to look at the fram web site, www.fram.com, and it will list all of their filters for your car.

Since we are talking about oil changes I was wondering if anyone knows if the '02 mill s needs a lube job. I have a couple of older 626's that do not need them and I have family members that have newer 626's that I think do not need them, but what about the mill s?

Also the owners manual states to replace spark plugs at 60,000 miles is this realistic?

By the way I bought a '02 mill s on Feb 23 in platinum silver metallic with 4 seasons package, 6-disc cd, and the 17" chrome alloy wheels for $24,995. Was this a good price or not.

Thanks.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    What do you mean by "lube job"?

Sparkplugs - sure it's realistic, more cars today have platinum-tipped plugs that last 100K miles.

Price - I think it is a good price (I paid 26K for '01S in July). Today Quirk Mazda in Boston advertises Millenia P for 20,599 (citing 5K rebate, and 3K dealer discount, they have 3 in stock at that price).

Good luck with your S -

Tomek
    Frank,

I'd cross-check it with 2001 Mazda MPV - same engine. But wouldn't it be easier to get it at the dealer? It can't be more than a few bucks, and you'll know for sure you're getting the right thing. And why do you need one (just curious)?

Tomek
    The Sure Drain is a replacement for the OEM plug that allows you to drain the oil without removing the plug. It has an internal valve that opens when you screw the drain hose onto it.

http://www.aapexshow.com/index1.php?page=fastaction

It is very similar to the CAP Plug at:

http://www.oilchangesolution.com/qc.php3

Fumotovalve is another one for the same purpose,

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

but double the price of the Sure Drain. I change my own oil, and they seem to be a good way to keep from dropping the plug when you remove it, or getting hot oil on your hand, and faster/easier.

By the way, I saw "P"'s advertised at about that price this morning too, but the fine print says that is after a $1000 downpayment or trade, and does not include destination charge. That brings it back up to about $23000. Still a great buy, but as usual you have to watch out for the fine print.

kcm8419,

I checked Millenia and some others on the Fram site, and their application charts only go through the 2000 models on the ones I checked including Accord and Camry. It looks like they have not updated to include 2001 and 2002 models.

Frank

fwatson, thanks for the info - that's really cool "device"! Although last time I changed oil myself was 8-9 years ago... maybe I'll go back to DIY when I retire in 20 or 25 years :-)

Tomek
    What I mean by a lube job is lubricating your steering linkage. When you go to these quick oil change places their price normally includes changing the oil, oil filter, and a lube job. I am assuming that with the cv boots on these cars that you no longer need to lubricate the steering linkage anymore. I drive some US made vehicles still at work, big 3 manufactures, and they still need a lube job to them. If this is the case then I will not fool with changing the oil myself.

Thank you for the information on the spark plugs.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for your post on the Toyota sight. In your opinion does the Millenia match closely with the vehicles I am thinking of? I just never even thought about the Millenia. Why are they marked down so much?
    What kind of mpg can I expect from the Millenia? Does it use a belt or chain? Is it an interference or non-interference engine? Is it made in Japan? Is this the last year for this model and if so, what will replace it? I will try to read the previous posts but it will take me a while. My primary requirement in a new car is reliability. I cannot tolerate repairs when one is paying 30K for an auto. It also is a waste of my time. What is the warranty on the Millenia?
    Lots of questions. I think a couple others will chime in here with some answers for you too.

1-Some comparisons are subjective, but I find the Millenia impeccably assembled and finished, both inside and out. It has from about 5 to 10 cubic feet less interior cabin space than the other cars you mention, but much of this is a result of styling that has a lot of tumblehome on the sides, and a steeply raked windshield. The front seats are within an inch in width of the other cars. I find the front seats very comfortable, and the driving position not only good, but airy, with great visibility. The back seat is limited in width by the fold down center console, which also opens a ski passthrough to the trunk. For kids the back seat would be great, larger teenagers and adults might find it a little short on legroom. The moonroof is standard equipment, and does cut into headroom a couple of inches.

2-Most of us here seem to agree the reason for the hugh markdowns, is that the Millenia started out to be the entry level car in a new Mazda luxury car division called Amati. The new division never got off the ground, and Millenia was sold as a top of the line Mazda, and never got the promotion of the Lexus, Infinity, and Acura's. Plus not having a seperate dealer network for the luxury brand worked against it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the car, which Consumer Report calls outstanding in their April '02 New Car Issue. Carpoint, at

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

shows all models since '96 to have top notch reliability. The reason for the slight downrating on the '95 and '96 engine, was a problem with sparkplug wires, which was a cheap (about $100), and easy repair. I have read of a little bit of a problem with the "S" model which is supercharged, having a blue oil smoke on startup after it accumulates some fairly high milage, which comes from the supercharger passing a little bit of oil. Most owners of "S"es love their cars though.

3-I am averaging a little over 22 mpg overall, with a low of about twenty city and about 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. My car is the unsupercharged "P" (for premium) model, and I have run 87 octane gasoline since new with no problem. The manual allows this, but recommends 93 octane for the "P", and requires 93 octane for the "S".

4-The engine is non-interference, using a timing belt.

5-It is manufactured in Japan with almost 100% Japanese sourced parts.

6-2002 is the Millenia's last year, and Mazda is coming out with two new models, the Mazda 6, which I think will kind of overlap the also discontinued 626, and the Millenia. The new RX-8 will be an upscale car, also partially replacing the Millenia.

7-$30000, no way. You can easily buy the basic "P" which is far from basic for under $22000, or the "S" for less than $25000.

I really believe these Millenia's at the prices you can get are the best kept secret, and the best bargain you can find in a new car. They do have a somewhat high depreciation, but better than most "American" cars. But at the discounts available that is completely moot for me. If you plan to keep a new car more than say 4 years, it is of no concern at all.

Happy car hunting. If that's not an oxymoron.

• phatpatphatpat Member Posts: 22
    Well it's about time for my 65,000 mile service and I was wondering what that's going to run me. From what I understand I may be looking at around $700.00 - $800.00, does this sound about right? What exactly is done?
  • shenequashenequa Member Posts: 6
    Greeting everyone,

I am the some what proud owner of a 1995 MilleniaL with 139,000 miles on it. Just a little history I recently replaced the transmission, cv axles, and gaskets...which set me back $1400.00. Its now in the shop again.....reason: when driving on the freeway going between 60-70 miles it would just start hesitating when trying to accelerate...this happened for a couple of days until finally while trying to go up a hill the car just didn't want to pull and coming down the hill it went dead and wouldn't start again for at least 10 mintues...I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so what they did to fix it also I had a few other questions posted below....all comments are appreciated...

1) How do you disable the TCS?
    2) Does anyone know what an EGR boot is and what it does?
    3) Is there any quick fix for the trunk release...mine will pop yet after you take your finger off the release it will instantly lock back up?

Thanks everyone!
  • speed33speed33 Member Posts: 17
    It seems that mazda Millenia is not made to go far. Sorry Shenequa to hear about your problems. It looks like it is time to move on and dump this baby asap. Remeber most people who are on this board have their millenias for no more than 2, 3 years, so they have yet to experience the problems high maintenence car like Millenia brings. This is a very expensive car to fix, get rid of it and buy somethig more solid like Accord, Camry or Maxima. Remeber there is a reason why Millenias are so cheap, now you found out why. Good Luck!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    when his accord dumped a tranny at 65k miles.
    I don't know what your problem is 33, but try a little research before posting.

Here is the link for Carpoint Reliability Ratings:

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

Look at Millenia:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Mazda/Millenia/Used.asp

Now try Camry:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Toyota/Camry/Used.asp

And Accord:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Honda/Accord/Used.asp

Uh, which did you say were most reliable?

Also, pick up the April '02 issue of Consumer Reports, and look at all the pretty red dots and checkmarks regarding the Millenia. Now turn to page 55 of the same issue and read this, "Depreciation is steep, BUT RELIABILITY HAS BEEN O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G!!!!!!"

Carpoint gets their information from professional mechanics, and CR from owners. That pretty well covers the possibilities.

Try every reliability ratings source you can find, and you will see the same results. As for CR's sarcastic remarks about Millenia, you will find the same putdown aimed at virtually every car they list, including Bentleys, BMW's and Lexus. Especially if the basic car is more than two model years old. They seem to feel that anything over two years old is an antique, and probably feel the same about anybody over thirty, which includes me.

Millenia is a very good, and extremely reliable car.

To disable your TCS you should have a button by your gear selector that you need to press to disable this. A light should then come on on your instrument panel telling you "TCS OFF". Don't forget the tcs automatically comes on when you start your car. The EGR, according to a repair manual that I have for another vehicle, is the exhaust gas recirculation. "It controls emissions by routing a portion of the exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. This operation depends on vacuum level, exhaust pressure, engine coolant and radiator temperature and on turbocharged vehicles, engine load and speed." The trunk release you may just want to grease or oil the trunk latch because it sounds like it is not popping the trunk up when you press the button.
    You've "replaced the transmission, cv axles, and gaskets...which set me back $1400.00." That's cheap! Tie rod end on my (previuosly owned) Passat: $480, right front bearing: $560. That's all before 60K miles. Nothing broke and I would get charged $350 for "30K mile service". How's that for expensive car to maintain...

Now, when it comes to cars with 139,000 miles on them - I'd follow speed33's advice and dump it if you can. This is only the beginning, things WILL break down.

I have to say I generally get bored with a car after 4 years, and if it is really good, I keep it for 6. Never had anything over 100K miles, but judging from various experiences of friend, coworkers etc. no matter what you have will become costly to maintain and keep running (somebody who works for me last month spent $2300 on 1995 accors with 125K miles - and he was furious about it). There are no miracles...

Good luck, if I were you I'd go shopping...

Tomek
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    I have two coworkers with me, one that have 65k on his 99 millenia L with no problems yet and the other has only 22k on his 2001 accord and already on his second transmission.
    If I was to choose between the two cars for reliability I'll take the millenia. thats my opinion only, :)

Regards,
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    A new website has been launched for the millenia; however not every page is up and running as of yet. The website's forum is currently available though. This website, has been designed to provided customization, service, general info, et cetera etc... assistance/information to millenia owners.

http://www.custommillenia.com/

regards,

• shenequashenequa Member Posts: 6
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I am getting the "M-Dawg" out the shop today and this time it's going to set me back $330.00. I am not complaining because for the most part I love my car and even with it being a 95 it still turns heads :-) I think that I am going to keep it until the Mazda 6 has been out for a year a so and then jump into one of those :-)

Thanks again!
    There is no car that is 100% trouble free, but Mazda tends to have very expensive parts especially for Millenia which originally was going to become Avanti: upscale division for Mazda. I could provide stories of Mazdas having problems in its first 50K but it is pointless. We all have friends who have .... ect.
    As for CR, I lost faith in them ever since they published their story on Isuzu Troopers. Besides, I have trouble taking advice from magazine that tests everything and consequently has expertise on nothing. I think that the best deal is to get a used 1, 2 year old Millenia let some other sucker eat the steeeeeeeeep depreciacion and enjoy the car for next 3 to 5 years. Keeping this car longer will kill your wallet. Just my 2c.
    Not Avanti, that was a Studebaker, and later a stand alone brand.

The proposed Mazda luxury division was to be Amati. Close, but no cigar.

Quote speed33: "I have trouble taking advice from magazine that tests everything and consequently has expertise on nothing."

Again, please do some research before posting incorrect information.

CR has experts in many different laboratories. The laundry detergent experts do not test cars.

CR advertises in the magazine for experts by catagory to fill vacancies.

I will say it again, and I HAVE done the research. MIllenia is an extremely reliable vehicle, on a level equal to or exceeding all Toyotas Hondas, Maxima and other such cars. Reliability is my prime criteria in buying a car. Millenia's great reliability and the huge discounts are exactly why I bought one.

I posted links for you to check this yourself. Apparently you don't have the time to do that.

By the way, I left out the Carpoint Maxima link:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Nissan/Maxima/Used.asp

And again, Millenia

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Mazda/Millenia/Used.asp

As you can see, none of the cars represented by Carpoint links I supplied you outperform Millenia in reliability.

Frank

speed33, please read.

The engine problem is for spark plug wires in '95 and '96. None since. Please take note that ALL catagories say, and I quote "INFREQUENT PROBLEMS REPORTED, ALL WITH LOW REPAIR COSTS"

And a grade of 5 is as high as a car can get on Carpoint.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Engine An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Spark Plug Wires (2.5L only). The cost to repair the Spark Plug Wires is estimated at $109.15 for parts and $26.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission & Driveline Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steering & Suspension Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Brakes Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Heating & Air Conditioning Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Starting & Charging Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Accessories Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Overall 5 out of 5
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    fwatson, remember saxonii? banned and re-incarnated ? :-)

Anyway, my 2000 Millenia S now has over 44000 trouble free miles. The more I drive the more I love this car. I'm going to keep my car until it dies; hoping to get 250,000 miles (yes, it's possible to get 250,000 miles out of a Mazda). I have a co-worker who's still driving his '90 626 hatchback with about 243K miles on it and still going.
    And yes, Millenia's design is timeless and beautiful. The design of this car will not look old even five years from now; kinda like how the mazda '93-'97 MX6 are, but better. Mazda's designer sure knows how to design a beautiful car.

cheers
    "remember saxonii? banned and re-incarnated ? :-)"

Yes, I've started to ask speed33 about his '86 Grand Marquis a few times. LOL

Frank
    Howdy all:

Like I said I do not trust CR - it is a publication aimed at middle age house wifes who cannot select their own blenders and toasters. They destroyed Trooper's reputation for no good reason yet somehow missed Ford Explorer and its stablility issues. As for car point - well it is a site run by Microsoft and I doubt they are more reputable than CR. What counts is real life and there Mazda Millenia does not shine. There have been others who have listed its shortcomings so I will not repeat them, but no matter how many sites and publications print good things about Mazda Millenia, it is still very expensive to fix. Shenequa and others who have problems with their Millenias could not care less what CR says, for them it is time to pay and pay big $$$$ to fix their vehicles. You felows have brand new Millenias and let's face it even the Koreans can make a decent car that will run trouble free for couple of years, it is what happenes after that, that counts.
    Millenia is not Mazda's greatest achievement period. People on the street know what is good and what is not. That is why RX7 will hold its value while Millenia will not.
    As for saxon2, well, didn't you guys blast him on this board??????? He has not posted in a while and already you guys miss him. Saxon come back !!!!!!
    Hey I cannot wait to be called a troll as for the car well it was not made in 1986. ou gentlemen have a nice evening!
    It's always good to meet someone who knows more about a subject than all the professional mechanics and writers combined. Not to mention all the stupid owners that sold out to CR on those rigged questionaires.

Please continue to post your tripe so the members of the Millenia forum can have a good laugh at your expertise.

Your vendetta against Millenia, Consumer Reports, Carpoint, and anyone else who won't take your vindictive point of view, has upset me so much I'm about to pee my pants. Pardon me while I make a quick trip to the bathroom. LOL

Frank
    Reliable, not reliable, value for the money, shortcomings, . . . it's all subjective, gentlemen. Remember that.

There are cars considered to be reliable that'll brake. There are cars considered utter crap that will go on forever:
    when I came to this country, I bought 1 year old 1991 Plymouth Acclaim V6, made in Mexico, with Mitsu engine for $8500 - sold it 4 years later for 4500. The two things I had to fix: speed sensor ($35 incl. labor) and muffler ($60 or so). Does that make it a great car? I would call it sofa on wheels... but I really liked it (in the way you like an ugly pet).

So, it's all opinions, personal experiences and perception! What is good for one person, is not good for another. That's why some people buy pickup, and some buy Porsches. Even my 6 year old understands a Porsche wouldn't work for us and why we have a van. I've tried Maxima, Acura TL and others, and Millenia S worked at the time the best for me. Will I buy it (or something similar) again? I don't know - I'll tell you 3-4 years from now. You don't step into the same river twice, you know...

To each his own!

I am not supporting those calling Saxon II back, because you could not have a discussion with him - he was so narrow minded and petty in persisting that everybody who dares to have a different opinion (even based on one's own experience) was subject to long winded, irrational, insubstantiated attacks with no factual support (i.e. Millenia has not changed since 1995 and Maxima is DA BEST (although built on an older platform than Millenia, with rather primitive suspension)).

And I don't have nearly eough time to participate in pointless slugfests that people like Saxon love to spark. Don't get drawn into it!

Take it easy -

Tomek
    Everybody has a right to their opinion, but I think no matter how you cut it Mazda still offers the biggest bang for your buck.

As far as CR is concerned, like any other publication it has to be used as a guide. If you want to take it or any other publication as gospel of course you are going to find problems with them. If I had listened to CR I would have not bought a Millenia I would have bought a Passat or a Camary. I looked at a Passat and I did not like it. So I guess for all of us "middle age housewifes" that use it as a guide I guess we are in a minority. As far as the Trooper goes I don't care who would have stated that I would not have looked at, not that I would have anyway. I think ones life is more important than a corporations bottom line is.

Just my two cents worth.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and has the right to state it. That's what online forums are all about. Most of us do that, and it creates a good conversation. Some others, usually those who do not, have not, and probably never will own the product being discussed have a strange need to come on with untrue, and unsubstantiated statements with the sole purpose being to cause an argument, which in turn gets them the attention they crave. That is a troll. For me they do serve one purpose, they are good for a hearty laugh at their total ignorance of the subject at hand.

If they had any proof of what they are saying, they would present it. Trolls don't, because they are simply blowing smoke.

Like tomekk, Millenia worked best at the time for me. I have no idea what my next car will be, because it hasn't been built yet. I do know from researching the internet, reading many magazines, and going to so many car dealers of a large variety of makes and models over a period of about three months, that nothing even comes close to Millenia for bang for the buck right now. Next time it will have to be something else, as this is the last year for Millenia. That's too bad, because with a moderate update, including a slightly larger V-6 to please the hot rod crowd, it is fully competitive with the $30000 group of cars.
    What studies do you know of, Speed33, that prove your point? You discount CR and Carpoint, yet you don't offer an example of a reliability survey done right. Instead, you say that anecdotal evidence should be the final arbiter. That only gets us back to where we were with your first post. If my friend has an Accord with a bad trans at ~70k, then all Accords are not worthy? With that viewpoint it looks like you should be posting on every single topic here, because I have not not seen a flawless car-line yet.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I hope that we can move on to other topics. I mean I did research also and the millenia is reliable but it seems that as milage increases so the potential for costly repairs, as with other cars but the millenia seems to be a higher on average. Anyways my 99 S has 35,200 miles on it. I never did the 30,000 mile service, instead when it reached 30,000 miles I looked at the sheet on what additional recommened service and got (1) The transmission completely flushed and cleaned and fluid replaced-129.00 (2)air filter replaced-22.40 (3)oil change (synthetic)53.00. I went to NTB and did a 4 wheel alignment as well as a balance and rotation. I was wondering is it neccessary to get this service done and what will they do at the dealership that will be essential in maintain the normal functioning of my car? All responses are really needed, because I could use the money for this service to fix my cracked windshield.
    I don't have my manual handy, but I'd say just do those things listed in the manual a la carte (don't go for the expensive dealer's 30K service with a lot of unnecessary things bundled in to rip you off) - you should be fine AND covered for the remainder of warranty.

I'm curious which oil weight you used?

Tomek
    Howdy folks:

Like tomekkk stated, cars are very personal things and people drive what they think is the best car for them. Ergo, Porshe for one, minivan for another. I am merely stating what I have heard about Millenia on the streets. I almost purchased one (used 99S for half the original price) and that is what steered me toward investigating this particular vehicle. What I found mostly comes from people who have modified their cars beyond recognition and have driven their beasts to the limit. I know they are not in their 40s and 50s and do not have to go to the bathroom to pee every hour or so, thus maybe their expertise to you fellows is not what counts. I on the other hand, do listen to them. AND according to them Mazda Millenia is slow, heavy, base engine is weak, S version lacks HP and is super expensive to repair. The car cannot take any serous abuse and doesn't corner well. Now, please do not blast me for this information. I am only passing on this information. Some people listen to CR, Carpoint or even edmunds, I listen and watch people who really know their cars. Please do not get upset. Hey!
    To be fair many of my friends think that Mazda RX7 is one of the best cars to race and they would love to have one. Nothing but good things about the RX. MAzda Millenia however was called " Fat Berta ", that's fat not phat. Hey
    I have to agree with tomekk that people do have different tastes and needs from a vehicle. I think the problem is is what you are looking for out of this car. If you want to buy a Millenia to race it I think you are choosing the wrong car. If you are basing your comments on people who bought this car for that reason then they chose the wrong car. So make sure you put their comments in perspective. I agree with you that the base engine is slow therefore I would never buy this car, or even the s model, to race it that was never it's intended purpose. Remember this car is an entry level luxury sedan.
  • kw1964kw1964 Member Posts: 7
    Just had my two week anniversary with my new P, and I just gotta say, I love this car! Took it out over the weekend on some curvey country roads and kicked it a little. Handling is great, really hugs the road on fast curves and corners. Ride is extremely well composed, and inspires confidence. Mazda really succeeded in creating a big solid luxo car that doesn't leave the driving feeling like he's at the wheel of the Queen Mary.
    These are beautiful cars inside and out. Interiors are nicer than many cars costing ten thousand dollars more.
    For the price of a mid range Camry or Accord, the Millenia is loaded. It's a steal
    speed33,

It is good to see you add some perspective to your unsubstantiated, Millenia bashing. If you are looking for an extremely nice and reliable car, designed and executed as a "Near Luxury Car" for normal street use, get a Millenia in either "P" or "S" depending on your need for speed.

If you want a beater to flog into the ground, and play out some scenes from movie chase sequences, get a '60's or 70's American muscle car with body on frame construction, and junkyard parts supply. Even a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis will serve the purpose. Happy stop light prowling. But refrain from buying and using a Millenia for that purpose. That is not, and never was it's purpose.

This is a case of complaining you can ruin an electric carving knife cutting down a giant oak tree, instead of buying the appropriate chain saw for that purpose.

I doubt my Millenia could hold up to 4 wheel drive mud slingers either. It was never intended to.
    Speed,

what on earth are those folks thinking??? It's a 3500 lb sedan... so the complaint is it doesn't race well? I'll have to put up same complaint on the Chevy Venture forum about my wife's van!

When it comes to cornering in 2001 Millenia S has front & rear stabilizer bar and stiffened suspension. Try outcornering that on 17 inch tires with 50 profile... unless you drive a Porsche (not Porshe) I'll take on you :-) and the S engine has plenty of go.

Happy racing!

Tomek
    Speed 33,

I guess the question that begs to be asked is why did these people buy the Millenia?
    There was obviously something they liked about it. Or was it that it is the best car for your money?
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    I think we're all interested in what YOU drive, by the sound of your conviction, it must be a 400hp Supra or 300Z the way you try to portray your extremely biased and unconfirmed opinions. Please move on and blabble to those that may care. Ciao!.......hey! (what is that anyways??)
    Quote kcm8419: "I guess the question that begs to be asked is why did these people buy the Millenia?"

Maybe he can answer that better than I can. But I also read the:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamilleniaclub/messages

forum. I believe these are the people he is dealing with. If you read that forum, you will find a group of apparently very young men who were drawn to Millenia for it's beauty, then do everything they can think of to make it something else. Funny thing is though, there is almost nothing posted there inferring the Millenia is a trouble prone and expensive to repair piece of junk. They seem very happy, if only they could transform their "Millie" into a customized street racer.

• et9et9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm picking up my '99 Millenia S this Wed (bought it for $25K CDN, 27K km, excelent condition) and wondering whether I should take any Protection pakage(s) and/or Comprehensive coverage.
    1) Protection packges: It's called Dimond-Kote and apparently offered by every car dealer here in Toronto. Includes Paint, Rust, Sound and Leather protection. All together for about $1K CDN.
    Do you think it worth it?

2) Not sure about US, here it's called Mazda Added Protection. They offer me comprehensive repair insurance for 2 extra years/100K km for $2K CDN.
    Do you think I should go for it?

(all the prices don't include 15% tax)

Thanks in advance!
    Dear fellow posters. I am sorry to get you all excited. I am not going to be drawn into posting responses to people who are convinced that their Millenias are so good that no criticism can't be posted here. Yes Mazda is the best, it hugs the road, it is fast, corners like a Porsche, people confuse it for Lexus, Mercedes, and is so much better than a Honda or Toyota. You guys win. You are driving the best car out there!! Happy????
    Now, all I said that people on the street do not consider it much of anything. It does everything OK and ends up doing nothing outstanding. That is their opinion and unlike those who look for answers in CR or carpoint, they do know cars well and actually drive it to the extreme. According to them Mazda Millenia have weak engines meaning they can't take abuse. Let's face it, Mazda's 2.5 engine is not the best one out there. Heck Nissan Sentra SER, Honda Civic si are capable of more HP from smaller displacement, and they are not even in the same class (they should be compared to Mazda Protege- which is totally weak). Peace
    I am sorry I misspelled Porsche. I was not prevue to superior education that undoubtedly you have obtained in Easter Europe. (Must be why you guys are so advanced in for example car making)I will try to use a spell checker next time. See ya
    what is your point? I don't think anyone here bought a race car. For the price that a Millenia goes for, what comparable vehicles are out there? As far as HP per liter, does a Vtech have any torque? Please think about what you are typing before you hit the POST Message key. Is the Millenia perfect? nope. Is it the best car money can buy? nope. Does it have competition? Yup. Is it one heck of a good deal? Yes, and that's why this forum is constantly up in arms about those who try to compare it to $30-35k vehicles. Get a clue and understand what the competition is.

On the topic of the Protegé being weak, would that be in every area? I seem to recall that quite a few enthusiast mags said it was the best handling econo-ride out there, but you may want to debate that with the folks in the Protegé forum.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Speed33/saxonii, if you want to talk about comparing the Millenia to other vehicles you KNOW where that belongs since we have been over this ground a hundred times.

It does NOT belong here.

I will remove further posts of yours in this discussion that mention any other vehicle in any way, or that are off-topic in any way at all.

EVERYONE ELSE: Please let me deal with him. Just do NOT respond to him at all. Please email me if you want to talk about this; we don't want to talk about it here.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Sure, Pat, deal with him - although there isn't much to deal with. He is not abusive, just ignores the facts. He is criticizing something, then he doesn't listen to responses that point out his obvious mistakes. He also doesn't get the message "to each his own".

On the other hand questioning my education might be considered personal attack... luckily I feel pretty well with my education that let's me run a group of non-Eastern Europe educated programmers (that should be Middle Europe, speed) whose education ... well, let's not go there. And yes, I had taught programming even in this country :-)
    Did he actually say Peace at the end of his message? Hm...

Take it easy

Tomek
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Just some info on my household...
    My parents leased a 95 Millenia P....they loved it....when the lease ran out I leased a 99 Millenia P....then I bought a 2001 Millenia S. As you can see...I love the Millenia....

I didn't even consider any other cars...I am very picky about styling.
    1). Protection packages
    I wouldn't buy it - IMHO it's worthless.

2). Mazda Added Protection
    Interesting, but seems to be very expensive. What exactly is covered? Did you look into less expensive non-Mazda program? I'd go for something that would take me well beyond 100K km - like 160K km, this is when problems are likely to occur.

Good luck with your purchase -
    Tomek
    I got message # 1500!!!

Just kidding... not that it matters :-) should've played the lottery today.