Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Here's the link to a new Millenia forum that looks very promising. It is just now starting to move after being started about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.mazdamillenia.org/forums/

• et9et9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

The '99 Millennia S I've bought 2 weeks ago had catalitic converter replaced twice to eliminate egg smell in the car. Yesterday I had the same problem, but I don't think it was converter. It seems to me that that it's the A/C that stinks. My dealer's telling me that it's common problem with all Millenias. Did anyone else had the same problem? Is there a solution?

TIA
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I purchased my Millenia in August last year, and so far I can't say that I have experienced that smell.
    I have had my '01 since last Sept, and there has been no odor of any kind from it. Living in Florida, my A/C is on auto year 'round. If the A/C was emitting an odor, my wife would have for sure said so. She can smell anything.

Egg smell is almost always from cat converter, unless someone lost a wet diaper under the seat.

:-)
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Does anyone know if the 99 Millenia 2.5L model comes with platinum spark plugs or just the regular plugs.
    Does anyone know if the base 99 Millenia comes with platinum spark plugs or just the regular plugs?
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    Register and become a member of http://www.custommillenia.com/ and show your support of this great vehicle.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    No smell in my car so far.

As for spark plugs, I don't know what they use on the 2.5V6, but I did use platinum on my '93 626ES last time and it works fine. BTW, don't ever buy the platinum spark plugs from the dealership, they overchange wayyyyyy to much for it.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Uses standard plugs.

Cal state:
    Bosch platinum plugs are in no way comparable to NGK OE platinum plugs. The electrode size is totally different so that the change interval is a true 60k miles. I'm a big fan of sticking with OE parts unless you enjoy parts swapping.
    I checked Autozone's online shopping, and here are the plugs they list for the '99 2.5:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SPARK PLUG for a
    1999 MAZDA MILLENIA

BOSCH-PLATINUM+4 4418 $5.99
    ** ALREADY GAPPED FROM THE FACTORY - DO NOT RE-GAP **
    ** PRICE DISPLAYED IS FOR (1) PLUG **

BOSCH-PLATINUM 4230 $1.99

BOSCH-SUPER 7562 $0.99

SPLITFIRE SF522D $3.99

CHAMPION 318 $1.29

MOTORCRAFT 445 $1.39

DENSO
    STANDARD PLUG 3132 $1.59

DENSO
    STANDARD PLUG 3169 1 YR $1.59
    CAN ALSO BE USED
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I was stuck at DFW airport for several hours this past Fri. evening. Went automobile classifieds hunting and saw several places with Millenias at $19,995. Small print said on most of them 1 @ this price and does not incl. freight. One place in Wash DC area said 2 @ this price. That is like 6K below invoice. What's the catch here? How do we find out what the real incentive is? Cars direct does not currently reflect any rebate. I'm confused.
    I found while I was car hunting last August and September, that for some unknown reason the Mazda factory to dealer incentives did not show up on the internet sites.

At the time I got $6500 in rebates plus an additional dealer discount of $1500, all that was showing online was the $2500 customer rebate. The Tampa Tribune has ads showing Millenia for $18995, plus freight and $995 down or trade. I don't know what else might show up at the dealer. But they are also showing $16000 to $17000 Camry's, so something is amiss.
    Thanks guys.

To let you all in on a secret-I am trying to get my wife to trade in her 1994 Toyota Camry for a 2002 Millenia "base" or "s".She is insisting on keeping the car utill it dies,does anyone have a convincing line that I could use on her? As for me I am still waiting around but i have to say,not making a car payment monthly sure makes your bank account bigger.:)
  • dominick33dominick33 Member Posts: 14
    No convincing needed, just stop at the Mazda dealership and take a mill out for a test ride. Then work out what you can buy the car for ($21,690 at msmazda).

http://www.msmazda.com/newsite/msindex.html

If that doesen't convince her words, will have no effect.

• milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Is your wife crazy? My parents have a 94 Camry...they would love to have my 01 Millenia S instead...my 19 year old sister refuses to be seen in public in the Camry.
    BillyPerks: "my 19 year old sister refuses to be seen in public in the Camry"

LOL :-)))))

Kinda like how my older sister pretending not knowing our old chauffeur when he tried to pick her up on an old Opel wagon at school.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Hey, what's wrong with Opel? :-) I used to drive Opel Ascona 1.6D - I really liked it. The thing would go over 1000 km on a tank of 60 liters (~600 miles on 15 gallons) of diesel.
    Tomek
    Again I thank you all for the feedbacks,I will have her read all of your responses.

I have to share this with car shopping encounter with you guys.Yesterday I was on Boston Rd. in the Bronx.I stopped by Cox Nissan where there was a sign posted on a 2001 Millenia (BASE MODEL) big sale.Out of curiosity(I never buy cars on Boston Road) I went in to inquire about this big sale on the Millenia.Guess what guys,they wanted $22995.00 for this with 20,000 big ones on the odometer.I told the sales rep.they are nuts,because I can get a brand new spanking Millenia for less than that and on top of that he told me the Camry is worth $1500.00.
    I quitely walked away,what a rip off that would have been.Thank God for boards like these and the internet.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Anyone had any experience leasing a new Millenia? My present lease expires this November and I'm interested in the Millenia given it's tremendous value pricing.

However, since it will be discontinued I presume the resale situation will be poor thus affecting the residual on a lease significantly. I don't keep cars for long periods so buying would probably hurt me resalewise as well. If anyone has an idea about a monthly lease rate on a P I would appreciate the infomation.
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I have had my '01 Millenia for about a month and I am still trying to get used to the way the climate control works.

On cold mornings, it always seems to start with it blowing on my feet and windshield (defog) with the AC on. This strikes me as a little odd, but I suppose I can see that the ac and defog keeps things from fogging, but it blows cold. The cc in my honda products stay off until it warms up on a cold morning and defog has to be selected intentionally.

What do others do with this? I tend to turn off the AC.

Yesterday I was doing some hwy driving and it was in the 50's out and had the CC on 75. The AC insisted on running even though it wasn't needed. Granted it was sunny which will warm up a car, but fresh air was fine.

any thoughts?
  • carhunting3carhunting3 Member Posts: 2
    I was considering other cars, Acura TL - very nice but no wow factor, Subara WRX - plenty of wow, not enough room, G-35, plenty of wow and plenty of money and then I heard about the disounting of the Millenia. About 6 weeks ago the Mazda dealership advertised a P for @$20,400. When I contacted the dealer this week by email asking about the S pricing they stated that they are running $7500.00 off of MSRP. A hefty discount but at $24,500.00 it is still not enough of an incentive to get me into one. If I could get down around $20,000.00 for an S I would consider that hard to pass up. Has anyone heard of a better deal on current S pricing?
    You can select any mode you want manually. It only acts the way you suggest in Automatic mode. At 55 degrees it is not running AC, it is bringing in cool outdoor air, unless you manually press the recirculation button, or it is in defrost mode.

Almost all automatic climate control systems turn on the AC in defrost mode, as it is proven to remove the fog on the windshield much quicker. Hot air generally makes things worse on a cold windshield.

At any rate, just select the mode and temperature you want manually if the Auto mode is not your cup of tea.
    Quote carhunting3: "If I could get down around $20,000.00 for an S I would consider that hard to pass up."

You have to be joking. On the other hand I would consider that a good deal on a TL too.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Could anyone give me the exact RPM at 70 mph on their 4-speed automatic transmission w/2.5 engine and as to what kind of mpg they are getting on the same trans?
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I was out hwy cruising about 480 miles yesterday. In my P, it runs right around 3k rpm at 70mph, a little over at 75. I got about 25mpg.
    Quote fredvh:

"Could anyone give me the exact RPM at 70 mph on their 4-speed automatic transmission w/2.5 engine and as to what kind of mpg they are getting on the same trans?"

You had asked that before, so yesterday I set it right on 70mph. It turns 2800 rpm at 70. I average 27 mpg highway, 20 city, and 22.2 overall on 87 octane fuel, and I use whatever brand is handy. I now have 4989 miles on the car.
  • soloflight98soloflight98 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 s model with 25000 miles. I am kind of wondering about this car so far I had the compressor replaced, the fuel gauge and now I have a motor hesitation cold start or warm start going about 30-45 cruising speed not in no hurry and it acts like it is getting no gas. It goes to the dealer tomorrow but I (they) could use the input. I would like to buy a new s model for 20000 also I paid 23,300 for mine brand new on the s plan got everything but the chrome wheels. btw i thought it was the gas but is not I use only premium.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    At the local dealership I just saw 2 special editions of the 2002 Millenia. The first was an S model. On the window sticker is was listed as an SS. It is black with special titanium wheels, two-tone beige and black leather interior and titanium accents to replace the faux wood. Then...they have a Millenia P special edition labeled PS, same as above except without the S engine. Looks identical, same wheels, interior, etc. They look sharp. About $1000 premium. The P model gets my attention since it has the same wheels as the S, so you get the improved handling dynamics without the cost of the S engine. Anyone know more about these?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

My guess is that they are dealer customs. I haven't seen them anywhere, and with Millenia's slow sales, I doubt Mazda is doing this at the factory. But as a $1000 add on package, and assuming you can still get the huge discounts available on Millenias, it is a very tempting deal to have a very unique and beautiful car. I don't see how they could do those changes for that amount though.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    On the Special Edition it is from the factory, go look at the Mazdausa site they have it listed there.

On the climate control, fwatson is right, put it to whatever mode you want it at. The A/C will always show up, this was one of my questions that I had for the salesman.

An S at $20,000 I don't think they would be able to keep them in stock then.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The Factory special edition includes these items...

chrome/titanium front grill
    17'' titanium finished wheels
    avail only in black
    two tone ivory interior
    titanium finish on center console (replaces wood)
    black floor mats

1000 total units (70% PS 30% SS)
    Quote kcm8419: "On the Special Edition it is from the factory, go look at the Mazdausa site they have it listed there."

I checked mazdausa.com, and you are correct. I am just a little surprised that they are producing a Special Edition at this late date. It sounds like a beauty for someone who will do the upkeep a black car requires, although I prefer wood to titanium. Of course that's only a personal preference.
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    Having a system installed tommorow and was wondering if anyone had experience with removing the inner door panels?? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering if any of you thought that you could work a really good deal on the special edition P model like you can on the other P models. Since the package I heard was a $1000 more, I figure that you could work a deal to get it at around 22000-23000 before TT&L. Also it seems like on this board and if this board is indicative of US purchasing of millenias, then does anybody buy the '01-'02 S millenia. Because I think that an S for 23,500 wouldn't be an unreasonable request given its lack of popularity due to the better value of the P. Any input would be nice.
    I think with a little persuading you can get a similar deal on a P SE as on any other P. Of course it will probably be a thousand higher, or around $22500 to $23000. But the best I have seen anyone do on the S, is about $2000 or so above the P. Good luck, anything is worth a try.
    Nate, what do you want to know about the door panel removal. I've removed it so many times now; very easy task to do. there're two screws inside the door pockets that you have to removed (take out the cover first). One screw near the hinges, with round cover. I think that's it, then pull out the bottom part first, then work your way to the side. when all plugs (i don't know what you call those things that's holding the door) are pulled, then to take the door panel out, push it up slowly. then take off all the connector for power windows, door locks, etc. Just remember than when you want to put the door back, it's a lot easier to do it with the window down.

Good Luck and have fun.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    I bought my '02 S at just under $25,000 in Feb. Something that you may want to look at is the date the car was made. Check on the inside of the drivers door jamb for this date, it will give you the month and year. This will give you an idea of how long the dealer has had the car sitting on their lot. If they have had it on their lot for awhile it could work in your favor for getting a better deal. The only draw back is in the special edtion, since it is in limited numbers will mostly likely hurt you a bit.

Good Luck.
  • maximase2002maximase2002 Member Posts: 11
    Millennia owners,

You folk are driving one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I love my Maxima but I have always liked the Millennia as well. It is a shame Mazda was able to design a car with a look that never looks outdated, but feature wise is behind the competition. Did any of you consider the Maxima before buying the Millennia? Why did you choose the Millennia over the Max?
    Why did you buy the Max over the Millenia? Did you look at any other models?
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    maximase2002,

I own a 2000 Maxima SE and a 2001 Millenia P. Needless to say that I am fond of both.
    Thanks for posting. You are the best one then to compare these two(Max and Millenia). How do they compare in the following areas: build quality(fit and finish), gas mileage, interior noise, drivers' seat comfort, long-term dependability, auto transmission, overall handling, steering effort or control, and overall ride comfort.
    Quote maximase2002: "Why did you choose the Millennia over the Max?"

I set out convinced I would buy a 2001 Maxima last August. Before doing that, I decided to do comparison testing of the Max, '02 Camry, '02 Altima (not released at that time), and Avalon. Over a period of two weeks I hit at least two dealers of each of those Models. Frankly, I found them all nice, but was underwhelmed by them all.

I found some of the styling of the Max, to put it kindly, Quirky. There was far more road noise than I expected ( I drove all three versions), and the ride was too firm for my taste, even on the GXE and GLE. Still I made a bid for a GXE at $23000 but the sales manager wanted to argue over an additional $300. I refused.

The Toyota dealers were far too proud of the new Camry, with the best price I could get just $200 under MSRP (manufacturers suggested ripoff price). I also refused that.

I was offered the cloth seat Avalon for $24000, but again was underwhelmed, especially by the shoebox styling.

I had read so much about the cheap interior of the new Altima, that I wrote them off. I was looking for some semblance of luxury, not cheapo.

I had not even thought of the Millenia due to Mazda's total lack of promoting it in ads. Once again I checked the new car ads in the Tampa Tribune, and came across the Millenia advertised at somewhere around $20000, but that turned out to be a come on, and that particular car had "already been sold". LOL. I inquired about the price of other Millenias on that lot, and the rude salesman refused to talk anything but MSRP. I walked off ready to give up and just run the wheels off my '95 Olds 88. But I couldn't get those beautiful Millenias out of my mind, and on the way home stopped at another Mazda lot. Bingo!

About 6 gorgeous Millenias sitting there, an extremely courteous and helpful salesman, and then a sales manager who took me seriously when I told him I wanted rock bottom out the door price. Test drove a "P" and fell in love with it. Back in the office they offered a bottom line price $8000 off the silly MSRP plus the $995 wax job. $21680 (less than $23000 otd). Not being totally stupid, I knew that was it.

With over 5000 trouble free and enjoyable miles on the odometer now, it has been the best decision I have made in my 60 years of car ownership. That's about 20 cars to date.
    " How do they compare in the following areas: build quality(fit and finish), gas mileage, interior noise, drivers' seat comfort, long-term dependability, auto transmission, overall handling, steering effort or control, and overall ride comfort."

Fredvh,

Build Quality: The Millenia has the edge here, there is more attention to detail in the Mazda. The quality of materials is better in the Millenia. But don't let that fool you, the Maxima is a well built car.

Gas Mileage: I get better gas mileage with the Maxima. For some reason the 2.5L V6 in the MM is a gas guzzler compared to the VQ engine in the Maxima. Although if you are getting a 2002 Maxima with the bigger 3.5L V6 so things might be different in your case.

Interior Noise: The Millenia has a more quiet luxury ride. The Maxima growls like a sport car when pushed hard, but it is an very quiet at high speeds.

Seat Comfort: Maxima all the way. The Millenia seems crammed to me and the seats feel too small. There is a lot more room to strech out and get confy in a Maxima.

Reliability (long term): Either one should be very reliable.

Auto Tranny: My pet peeve about the Millenia. I really do not like the 4 speed auto. It is NOT a smooth shifting tranny and it is not unusual for it to start hunting for gears. Needless to say the Maxima tranny is much smoother.

Steering: The Millenia has that overboosted luxury steering. The Maxima does have give you more razor sharp steering responses.

Ride: This is really a matter of taste. If you like a luxury ride the MM is more for your taste. If you like sport (like me) the Maxima SE has a more taut sporty ride.

Again, two great cars with different personalities. The Maxima is my daily driver. Wife drives the MM. I do like the Maxima's room and sportiness, and love the Millenia's great looks and luxury feel.

Hope this helps

Speed
    "Seat Comfort: Maxima all the way."

This is funny to me, because when my wife first sat down in a Max she looked startled. I ask what was wrong, and she asked why the seat was so hard. I think perhaps a very large person might perceive a small difference in size, but I actually measured the seat in a Max and compared it to the Millenia. Guess what. The Maxima's driver's seat was three quarters of one inch wider than the Millenia's. I personally can't feel the size difference, and the seats in my Millenia are extremely comfortable, even on a 3000 mile vacation. I have a sometime painful lower back, and the power lumbar support is very helpful. But even with it on maximum setting I would like a slight bit more push in my lumbar area.

It is interesting though to compare your view and mine on the same seats, and see the difference in perception. Goes to show the only way to know is to try it for yourself.
    Fwatson,

I am not a big fan of leather, so my Maxima seats are cloth. The cloth seats are a lot softer and more supportive than the ones in the Millenia. I have never measured the Maxima seats, but I did have the perception that they were wider than the MM seats.
  • maximase2002maximase2002 Member Posts: 11
    I'm new to this board,

Someone asked why did I chose the Max over the MM, I don't want to flame anyone but the Maxima just excelled in every area over the MM and the resale value on the MM is a shame.
    Quote: "the Maxima just excelled in every area over the MM".

++++++++++++++++++

Hmm, a very interesting UNBIASED opinion. I also have one. X=Advantage.

Catagory -------------- Maxima ------- Millenia
    Horsepower -------------- X
    Styling ---------------------------------- XXXXXXXX
    Quality of materials ----------------------- X
    Quality of assembly ----------------------- X
    Quality of paint ----------------------------- X
    Paint Application -------------------------- X
    Ride Quality -------------------------------- X
    Noise Intrusion ---------------------------- X
    Rear Suspension -------------------------- X
    Repair History ----------- X ---------------- X
    Standard Features ------------------------- X
    Handling ------------------ X ---------------- X
    Real World Price --------------------------- X
    Depreciation ------------ 1/2x

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    I see your X chart up above but am a little confused when in the "repair history" and the "handling" categories both models receive an X. Is this because they are equal in these categories?
    What kind of gas mileage are you getting now on your Millenia? I have read a couple of reviews that say the Millenia does not get "good" gas mileage. I forget what engine you have. Do you use premium? You and I have talked before about the Millenia, ES300, Maxima, I35, Honda, and the Accord which I am considering. I want quality built, comfortable, affordable service costs, and long-term dependability.
    First about the chart. These are my observations from having read extensively online about both vehicles, and having driven all models of both cars. If both have an X, neither has an advantage.

I own a 2001 MM "P". That has the 2.5L, naturally aspirated V-6.

With 5280 miles on the car, all while using 87 octane (regular unleaded)gasoline, I have averaged 20mpg city--27 to 28mpg highway, and an overall average of 22.2mpg. If they wish to call that poor milage for a 3400 pound four door sedan, they have that right. I do not agree.

My references to Repair History are based on both Consumer Reports Magazine, and Carpoint Reliability Ratings which you can access here:

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

Select any car you want to check and compare them yourself. Be sure to check the reason for any Red and White X, or Yellow and Black exclamation point, by clicking on that mark. Green and White checkmarks are the best.

The subjective topics, such as comfort, you need to judge for yourself by driving all the cars you are interested in.

I would add a number of things to your list that favor the Maxima.

More Interior Room
    More Trunk Space
    Better Stereo
    Better Ergonomics
    6 speed available
    Nav. system available
    Sport Suspension
    Faster
    Beter Engine
    Better Tranny
    Better Fuel Economy