Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I am at a loss as to what you mean by a glare of the rear dash. The only thing I can think or is the highmount brake light causing a red glare in the rear glass. That is common to just about all cars with inside mounted highmount brake lights.

If that is the problem, and it is objectionable to you, I would suggest getting some thin foam weatherstripping without any adhesive on it, and push it into place around the perimeter of the brakelight cover. I'm sure it would not stop it completely, but it might cut it down. Both my Millenia and Olds do that, but it has not bothered me enough to try to stop it.
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    The 2.5 runs fine on regular (87 octane)? I would like to know since I'm weighing the costs of several models and I don't want to damage the car by not using what the manufacturer "recommends" for this engine. Has anyone basically used regular exclusively?

Fwatson, as I said on the other discussion, I did go to Courtesy in Brandon, only browsing. The sales lady wasn't too pushy and very accomidating. Did you go to Tampa or Brandon? She quoted me $309 with $2k down for a 36 month lease including TT&T with a good credit rating.

What color is yours? I'm leaning toward the Emerald green (too bad there is no navy) but I like the way the gray interior looks, which would limit me to black or silver. Current car is black, so I'm inclined to take a break from that!

BTW, sat in a loaded 626 and it was nice, but the Millenia P deal was only $1,000 more! There's a no brainer! Afterward, ran over to reexamine the interior of the Toyota Solara and Camry, and I already have a fair idea about their prices and how low they could go. There was no need to hang around!
    I bought my Platinum Silver w/Gray interior P from Courtesy in Tampa. It is next to I-275 on an access road by the Courtesy Pontiac dealership. I am from Avon Park, so I am not sure offhand what the cross street is. I did stop at both Courtesy Mazda and Courtesy Toyota in Brandon, and both were very courteous as their name implied. On the other hand NOB was very curt and uncooperative about negotiating on price. I walked off on them as I did the Clearwater Mazda dealer.

I have never leased, so I don't know what your figures work out to in cash. Mine was a cash/no trade deal. My salesman sent me a card that he has gone to another dealership, or I would recommend him to you.

Now, for my Millenia experience. I bought it new, just off the truck (3 miles on the odometer) in early Sept of 2001. Actually the week before the Trade Tower crashes, so the price was not influenced by that. I drove both a P and S, and the S did have a little more acceleration, but I was leary of the additional complexity of the Miller Cycle engine and supercharger, and their required maintenance schedules. Plus the price was in excess of $3000 more than than the P. The S also has 17 inch wheels which would probably give you a harsher and noisier ride due to the skinny rubber between you and the road. It also REQUIRES premium fuel.

The MSRP + the dealer add-on of $995 for a stripe and sealant (wax job) brought their sticker bottom line price to over $29600. My car has no dealer installed stripe, because I refused to pay that $995 for a $30 stripe and $25 wax job. My final bottom line price after very little discussion came to $21680. They offered me an identical car w/6 disk changer in dash for just $200 more, but I did not need that.

I have driven the car 6700 trouble free miles almost entirely on 87 octane gasoline. The dealer originally filled it with 93 octane, and one time just to see if it made any difference, at about 3000 miles I filled it with 89 octane. I can tell absolutely NO difference which grade of fuel is in it. There is no sign of ignition knock or ping, and the car runs flawlessly on 87. The ECM automatically adjusts for octane, and some feel that by changing the timing to do that it will deteriorate the performance and fuel milage. If it does, it is so minute as to be practically non-existance. I will continue to run 87 octane unless/until I see there is a problem, which I expect to be never. There are debates in some threads about whether premium fuel has better cleaners than regular. From all I can tell, all grades have all the cleaners needed to keep your injectors in good shape, and all you gain by buying premium is a lighter wallet, and resistance to knock, which the MM-P apparently does not need. Perhaps if you are a leadfoot, the tiny timing change might be noticable, but then I would go for the S model, or other higher performance car.

The P is an outstanding highway cruiser. It is as happy at 100 mph as at 60. And while a 3.5L Nissan of any model might blow it's doors off in a drag race, it is far from being slow off the line. Fuel milage for me has been almost exactly as shown on the window sticker, with mine being 20 city, 28 highway, and a little over 22 overall mixed driving. The ride has some road feel, but it is very well damped. There are probably some much more expensive cars with less tire noise intrusion, but that is also minor in the MM. The V rated tires are probably partly responsible for what noise you do hear. At any rate, the sound system at normal levels easily negates any other sound. But I drive with the excellent audio system off most of the time, so I am more apt to notice exterior sounds. Any wind noise is extremely minor, so as to be very hushed.

There is some complaint about the way the transmission shifts, which is not as smooth as say, a large GM car such as a Buick. GM has that down to a science. While a MM does occasionally shift a little abruptly, it must be harmless, because both models of MM enjoy outstanding reliability, better than most other cars in the industry.

The only major problem I know of with the 626 is the transmission in some older 4 cylinder models. That has no effect on the cars you are considering.

The Millenia has amazingly flawless fit, finish and assembly.

That's about all I can tell you offhand. Hopefully an old timer or two will come on and give you the benefit of their experiences with their MM's. Good luck.
    Courtesy Mazda Tampa is at the corner of Dale Mabry and Hillsborough.
  • david179david179 Member Posts: 6
    On the way to purchase a new Accord yesterday I stopped at a Mazda dealership to check out the deals on the MM. I was very impressed and now I am very close to buying one instead. (2002 "P" pearl white w/ 4 seasons and Bose, $22,000)

However, I have always been a 'Honda guy' and I see posts like this in the Honda Accord forum which concern me:

"If you want to know why the Millenia is so inexpensive and has such lousy resale, just ask someone who has owned a Mazda for a long period of time (at least 100 thousand miles). Mazdas are known for requiring expensive brake system repairs, new head-gaskets prematurely, new starter motors, paint jobs, AC repairs, and more, early in their lives."

Is this the bias of one individual, or should I be concerned about purchasing a Mazda?

Thanks in advance.
    David
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Hi everyone-

The wife as finally given up on her 1994 Toyota Camry- 134,000 miles transmission starting to shift harshly and in need of a brake job.
    Went to a Mazda Dealer in Conneticut and they quoted me $23,889 excluding tax, title and the other rip off fees.
    Does this price sound right for the "P"?
    I would rather see responses from NEW YORK AND CONNECTICUT residents.
    Quote billyperks:"I would rather see responses from NEW YORK AND CONNECTICUT residents."

I understand what you are saying about location, but that is about $2000 high for the Tampa area.

Quote david179:"Is this the bias of one individual, or should I be concerned about purchasing a Mazda?"

That was an angry response to me over there, because I dared to mention the MM in the Accord thread. But it is a big load of sour grapes being pulled by a first post troll. Here is the Carpoint reliability search. You can check out all brands and models here:

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

Accord:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Honda&model=Accord

Millenia:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Mazda&model=Millenia

Compare them yourself. The exclaimation marks for MM in 95 and 96 are for spark plug wires. About a $100 part, and easily changed. That problem no longer exists.

The April issue of Consumer Reports calls the reliability of the MM "outstanding".

These are both highly reliable cars, so pick the one you prefer and enjoy it for years to come.

• dominick33dominick33 Member Posts: 14
    The bad rating in Consumer Reports for resale value is probably based on paying MSRP and selling the car a year or two later. The MM is a terrible deal in this case. But if you are paying $20,980 for a new P:

http://www.msmazda.com/newsite/msindex.html

click on the Millenia it is a different story. The resale value is probably better than most other new cars a year or two later.

Consumer Reports has to deal nationally and this pricing is very regional. For instance I could not get my 2001 P for anywhere near the price I paid in south Jersey. It was the best 1 hour drive I have ever made. I saved ~ $1800. Imagine how bad the situation is in some parts of the country where there are few dealers.

Consumer Reports has the MM as a suggested reliable used car buy for virtually every year. Check the April issue or the special car buying guides.

• silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I have noticed something curious ever since I started considering the Millenia for my next vehicle. It gets top marks for reliability but most reviews about it are otherwise lukewarm. CR recommends it as a good used vehicle but it is not on their current recommended list. However, other cars, with less stellar reliability records, are recommended. I don't get that.

Comments by many reviewers refer to it being outdated, having too exotic an engine (the S) or an underpowered engine (the P). They really don't say anything truly bad about the MM, but there isn't much praise for it either, especially with the new 6 coming soon.

I think some of the criticism comes from the fact that the MM is a luxury type car without a luxury name. It's neither fish nor fowl and because it doesn't neatly fit into a prescribed mold, it doesn't get the "props" that it deserves. I could be all wrong on this, but it's my humble opinion.

I did test drive a Millenia S and it drove pretty nice. However, my test drive was short and my dealer experience was terrible. I posted details about this experience on the Mazda 6 thread, since the subject of Mazda dealers came up. (if anyone wants to know more about that). The dealership experience I had alone, could cause me to hesitate in buying this car or any other Mazda. But I digress.

An example of a car that gets lots of positive press and accolades galore, but seems a bit shaky in the reliability department is the VW Passat. Now, I really like the Passat, it is on my short list of desired vehicles when the time comes for me to get my next one. I have admired it for a long time. However, there are enough horror stories of bad experiences regarding it's reliability to give me pause. That and it's fairly expensive, comparatively speaking. But it's a top ranked car and it's reliability record is not as impressive as the Millenia's. Go figure.

With this being the last year for the MM, mfg. rebates, etc., the Millenia seems like a good buy. It's stylish, reliable, and has many luxury features for the price of most "family" cars. It's been referred to as a "best kept secret" yet many reviews seemed to rate is a mediocre. Does anyone have any ideas on why the MM gets such a bad rap with auto journalists, when it seems to be such a nice car with good value/price?
    I thought I would repost this story here so that this board could read about my experience without having to go to the Mazda 6 thread. I did get some feedback on this, there are a few more posts about this on that thread, but I'm only posting my original comments here. It's pretty long, so my apologies in advance for the length.

Here's what I said:

"I, too, had a less than pleasant experience with a Mazda dealership in SE Michigan. It was with Livonia Mazda, which is an "autoplex" with several dealers in one building (Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai and VW).

I went there a few weeks ago to test drive a Millenia. I had a special offer that Mazda had emailed to me for a $50 gift certificate to take a test drive. Since I was curious about the MM, I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the offer.

The first person I encountered, once I had asked for service (strike 1), seemed to be trying to blow me off because I had the special offer coupon. I got the distinct impression that he merely wanted to fill out the form and send me on my way without taking the test drive. Maybe it was the annoyed sigh and the "you've got one of those" comments that was made which gave me this impression. (strike 2) My response was that I came to test drive the car, not just for the certificate, which Mazda would not have offered to me unles I had expressed an interest in their cars in the first place. Since I probably had fire in my eyes when I said this, politely of course, he immediately backed down to try and find me a salesman. "Several of them called in today, so we're shortstaffed," he said. Not my problem, it was a Saturday and they are open on Saturdays, so that's their issue.

I waited a few minutes for an available salesman. After he introduced himself, he promptly asked "Will you be buying today?" Again, I bristled up immediately. "No," I said quite firmly, "is that a requirement to take a test drive?" "Oh no, oh no, right this way," he said. (strike 3, 1st out)

First of all, I am accustomed to the salesman bringing the car around for the test drive. Oh no, this chowderhead takes me to the back lot, opens the car door and then walks a distance away and lights a cigarette. (strike 4 and 5)

I get in and look around the car a bit and wait to see what this knucklehead is going to do next. Finally, I say, "Okay, can I drive it now?" Annoyance is rising and tone of voice is reflecting this by this point. He gets in the car on the passenger side (reeking of smoke, ugh!!) and hands me the keys. I ask if I can drive it by myself (I hate test drives with the salesman looking over your shoulder, you never get a good test that way). He tells me that it is their policy that the salesman must go on the test drive. (strike 6, 2nd out)

By now I am too ticked off to even enjoy the car and I don't even want to take the test drive now. But I went ahead and drove it basically around the block. I didn't even make a fuss about the short drive because the treatment that I received had caused me to lose interest in the car. I know that's unfair but I really wasn't in the mood for all this unnecessary drama.

I drove the Millenia S which did drive very nice for the short time that I drove it. He claimed that they did not have a P for me to drive to compare the two. (strike 7 and I'm tired of counting) Again, I was too peeved with them period to even argue. Plus, I'm just window shopping. If I were seriously in the market to buy a car, there would have been some real problems with the way they handled a potential sale.

When I came back in, the sales manager asked me how it went. By now, my attitude towards them had sunk to a new low and in my mind I'm thinking that I would never buy a car from them and I may never buy a Mazda if this is how they treat prospective customers. I told the guy that I had no idea how I felt about the car because I had such a short test drive and the salesman insisted on tagging along. I said that the only way I could get a real impression is to take a longer drive by myself, but since that's not their policy, that seems impossible. He became very apologetic as he filled out my form and said that if I were willing to make an appointment to come back, he would make an exception and allow me to take a test drive by myself. Meanwhile the salesman comes over, gives me his card and leaves without a word. I gave the manager a skeptical look, took my form and left.

I have never been treated so shabbily by any dealership, Toyota, Honda, VW, Saturn or Lincoln/Mercury. It was enough to make me think of going back to Saturn for an L-Series as my next car just for the excellent dealership and ownership experience. Even my Toyota dealer is much better than that. I was so disappointed with my experience, I started to write a letter to Mazda afterwards, but I didn't take the time. Maybe I can still do that, using this post as a guide. (sorry for the length of it, I guess I'm still a bit upset about the whole thing).

It's sad because the Millenia seemed to be a nice car and Mazda has many interesting cars for those who want something a little different. The new 6 is very intriguing to me, it looks like it could be a winner. However, because of the poor experience I had at Livonia Mazda, I'm not sure I want to try and test drive it. Perhaps I will, but probably not at that dealership. If they really want to sell some cars, they need to get their act together and fast!

I do agree that many car salepeople seem to be in the wrong profession. I guess that's like anything else I suppose. It's very sad."

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good (or at least halfway decent) Mazda dealer in SE Michigan? Someone on the Mazda 6 board mentioned Sterling Mazda as a possibility. I'd like to reconsider the MM (either new this year or used next year, depending on when I'm able to make a move), but I'd rather go to a better dealer if I can find one.

Thoughts, anyone?
    CR does not recommend any new car if it is in it's last year, regardless of how good it is.

I think the biggest problem with MM and the testers is that they are predominantly a bunch of leadfoots. The MM just doesn't have as much power as their testosterone requires. That also seems to be true of a lot of people on the various forums. For those of us not in such a hurry, the MM is a great choice in either P or S form.
    I wonder why CR would not recommend a good vehicle just because it's in its last year of production. Especially when it is recommended as a "good bet" for a used vehicle. Doesn't make much sense to me. If it's a good car and meets the requirements for recommendation, then it should be on the recommended list. Oh well, CR is just one of many sources to consider when purchasing a car.

You know, I've noticed that people in general do seem to be more and more "power hungry" as far as HP goes. Cars are becoming faster every year and yet it still doesn't seem to be enough for some individuals. People seem to want more and more. At the rate we're going, folks will be expecting the average car to have 500 HP in a few years. How much can HP can we really use on the average anyway? For most daily driving, commutes, etc., all this additional power will not and/or cannot be used. At what point does all this power on tap go to waste for inability to use it in most everyday driving situations?

Now don't get me wrong. I enjoy a strong, powerful engine as much as the next person and I appreciate good performance in a vehicle. I enjoy the acceleration and power of my Camry V6. I admit that 170hp for a car the size of the Millenia does seem a little low. But then again, my Camry V6 only has 24 more hp than that with a larger 3.0L engine. I think the MM may be slightly larger and heavier than my Camry. Would I notice the difference between the two performance and power-wise? Maybe or maybe not. Probably not in a real meaningful way.

But I do think that the public, car enthusiasts in particular, holds very high expectations when it comes to HP. Maybe too high? JMO.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    You guys that have been posting out the door prices in the very low 20's are making me want to go check one out. I wouldn't otherwise consider it because of its 30kish MSRP but at near 20k thats about the best value you can get. I've never driven or rode in one but I know it has to be better than the regular Accord/Camry clones. Those two cars are no big deal and I've never really been impressed with either(although my mom did own a 91 Camry that was flawless until she totalled it. That's about all that can be said for it, it was an otherwise blah car). I've always loved Mazda's and their spirit. Honda/Toyota don't have the spirit that Mazda does(although it has been lacking in the past few years. Hopefully the 6 will revive it). Mazda can take chances that the big guys can't, at least in the U.S.

(rambling initiated)I've owned a 93 626 and loved it. I never had any problems with it until it broke 110k miles, and the distributor failed. At idle, it was hard to tell it was even running. Based on that, and knowing that the Millenia is a luxury car, I would assume the Millenia is more refined than the 626. The only problem for Mazda is that it doesn't have the brand name. But then again that would be an appeal for me. I don't want a car with a big name, I personally like sleepers.

If it had a stick, it would be a serious contender for me. But it is a luxury sedan... Another bonus for Mazda, they make 6 cylinder sticks. Its hard to find a non-sports car with a standard in the U.S.
    For all the people wondering about the reliability of Mazda, you probably think if it isn't a Toyota or a Honda then it will fall apart. Untrue, there are plenty of reliable cars that aren't Toyota or Honda, and as an added bonus you probably will get a car with some style that 399999 other people don't own! At near 20k, the MM is probably the best value you can get for your money.

I will definately look at the Millenia when I start shopping for cars in the next year(if there's any left), although it won't be at the top of the list because of the lack of a stick. Waiting for the 6 hatch to come out =)
  • david179david179 Member Posts: 6
    With the pearl white being such a distinctive color, do you think it will be hard to maintain? I wonder if it would be possible to do touch-up work on that color in the case of an accident and/or scratch. Any experience with this?

I think that Pearl White looks really nice, but would it be more of a liability...

BillyPerks - The price that you were quoted looks high to me (unless all of the options were included in that particular vehicle). Carsdirect.com shows that the "P" model sells in CT for just under 22K. Then add on for the options (4 seasons $500, BOSE $600, 6-CD $400, etc.). These numbers are closer to what I have found here in CT and neighboring NY dealerships.

Good Luck
    Quote:"I think that Pearl White looks really nice, but would it be more of a liability..."

Mine is silver, and barely even shows dirt. But I read weeks ago in other posts that the Pearl White is extremely expensive to repair if it gets screwed up.
  • mparthasaratmparthasarat Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    My Millenia S has recently developed an oil brning problem. During the last oil change it consumed a quart of oil for 5000 miles. The mazda dealer took out one of the spark plugs and confirmed that some oil was being burnt by the engine.

I am surprised. My car has only 112500 miles and I use it almost solely on the highway and use synthetic oil, changing the oil every 5000 miles. This is the same procedure that made my 96 subaru legacy's engine last 263k miles (when I sold it).

The mazda tech said that he believes that changing the timing belt and adjusting the valves will solve the oil burning problem. A friend of mine doubts this.

Have any of you experienced similar problems? Please advice
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    On Monday my wife tells me that the "Check Engine" light came on in her 9 month old Millenia P. So, on Tuesday afternoon we take it to the dealer. Turns out that the knock sensor had gone bad, and apparently because of its location it is not an easy part to replace. The car spent most of Wednesday at the dealer and finally got it Wednesday night. It's not a huge deal, but it is the first time I've ever had to leave a Japanese made car at a dealership. I guess I've been fortunate that all my Japanese cars have been very reliable including my 3 year old Maxima. I hope its not a sign of things to come with the Millenia...anybody else had problems with their knock sensors??.
    Quote:"but it is the first time I've ever had to leave a Japanese made car at a dealership."

Every dealer I have ever been to had a service department. So I have to assume all brands need repair, unless they just build the service bays to make their store look more impressive. :(
    Your sarcasm is unwarranted, I am not an idiot and realize EVERY car can breakdown. I was just commenting on MY experience with Japanese cars. Chill out man.
    Check post 1819 again, and you should notice a :( sad face at the end of the post. It was my way of letting you know I was giving you a hard time for posting about such a minor parts failure. Apparently you are too up tight or touchy to joke with, so I will avoid being friendly with you from now on, to make sure you don't get upset.
    I can take a joke, but your response did not come off as one. Anyway, water under the bridge...talking about a jokes, I played one on my wife, told her why don't we trade her Millenia it's breaking down already...she wanted to kill me (she loves her car). :)
    I'm glad we got that cleared up. I am not here to fight with anyone, and am aware of your car situation, as you are of mine. With luck, that will be the worse problem you have with the MM. And if that is the biggest problem I have with mine, I will be thrilled.

Good luck with both of your cars. They're good ones.
    I guess what worries me more about having our car's engine taken apart is that they might break something else in the process of trying to replace the knock sensor. Call me paranoid, but I've heard horror stories about that, specially with dealers.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I had the auto-dimming mirror w/compass added to my 01 Millenia S last week. Enjoying it so far...a lot easier to see out of at night than the regular mirror. Paid about $260 w/installation after a 10% off coupon from the Mazda dealer.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    i went in for an oil change about 6000miles ago and i requested for the synthetic motor oil as I have been doing since i bought my millenia some 42,000miles ago and the service man at the mazda dealership told me that mazda sent them a bulletin that all s models should not receive synthetic motor oil. This was at gillman mazda in rosenberg,tx. I was previously in austin getting all of my oil changes at roger beasly south but they never once mentioned this to me. My millenia has been absolutely trouble free except that since i switched over to regular grade motor oil, the oxygen sensors has been broken on two different occassions. Both were repaired under warranty. I'm figuring that this is just a coincindence, but maybe not. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or experience any O2 sensor problems.
  • ecanadianecanadian Member Posts: 2
    Help re. 2.3L Miller engine: is it interference or non-interference:
    - 3 dealers said: interference;
    - 1 dealer said: non-interference;
    - lots of posts on the internet said: non-interference;
    Which one is it?!? And how can I find out for sure (any link to web adress?)

Thanks a lot in advance.
    The 2.3 V6 is between the ====== signs.

The Gates Belts site shows the same ie, it is NON-interference

Mazda Engine-Interference---Replace

1.5 -------------No --------60,000

1.6 -------------No --------60,000

1.8 (4 Cyl.) ----No --------60,000

1.8 (V-6) -------No --------60,000

2.0 (SOHC) ------No --------60,000

2.0 (DOHC) -----Yes --------60,000

2.0 (Diesel) ---Yes --------60,000

2.2 ------------Yes --------60,000

2.3 (4 Cyl.) ----No ---------N/A

=========================================

2.3 V-6) --------No --------60,000

=========================================

2.5 -------------No ---------N/A

3.0 ------------Yes ---------N/A

3.0 (MPV) Yes 60,000

http://autorepair.about.com/library/diy/bl_timing_belts-4.htm

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Change the Timing Belt when reccomended. I have experienced bad Gates info first hand.
    You are of course correct about changing the belt on time. However that chart is not from Gates. But it does corroborate the information on Gates and all other sources I have found for the Mazda 2.3 and 2.5 V6 engines. They are both NON-interference engines, and will not suffer damage if the timing belt breaks.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    2.3L S is non-interference engine, I had asked the service manager before I bought Millenia S (I wouldn't buy a car with timing belt and interference engine).
    Tomek
  • ecanadianecanadian Member Posts: 2
    the website link.

I don't understand why the service guys at 3 dealerships would say "interference" if this is a non-interference engine!

Personally I'm quite surprised to see Millenia's 2.3 L as non-interference - most of high reving, DOHC, etc small Japanese engines are interference - e.g. all Hondas/Acuras, all Nissans (but e.g. Altima which has a timing chain), many Toyotas and Mazdas.

BTW, my brother changed the timing belt in his 87 Acura when it had 230,000 km - he regreted doing it since the belt was in perfect condition!
    Quote:"I don't understand why the service guys at 3 dealerships would say "interference" if this is a non-interference engine!"

Being that the salesman I bought my P from argued that the S does NOT have a supercharger, I am not in the least surprised.
  • ryanduderyandude Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 96 s and my battery went dead. After I recharged it my bose stock sterio asked me for a code so I tried to enter it but I must of forgot it and now the sterio is stuck saying ERR. So it will not work at all.The dealer wants 75 dollars to reprogram it and I don't have the money. Does anyone know how to reprogram it and could they tell me how please. Thank you
    I got this from a Google search. You might try also doing a search with Google using words such as bose theft code reset. Try other combinations of words and good luck.

Quote:"Q: What happens if forget the code to my stereo's anti-theft feature?

A: In a word: DON'T! Write it down. Then again, if you're reading this, it's probably too late (i.e. you didn't write it down) and now the stereo is locked. It's probably locked because you either disconnected the battery or removed the stereo. Well you have 8 tries to put in the right code. After the 8 incorrect time, the stereo will display iNOp and you won't be given any more chances. On cars with a "Mute" button on the steering wheel controls, just press it and that will get rid of the iNOp for another 3 tries. If you don't have the mute button to reset it, turn the car (or at least the accessories) on for an hour and the iNOp will go away giving you 3 more tires. Still no luck? Go for another hour and give it another 3 tries. After that and you still don't get it, you're going to have to go to a dealer where they have a factory code to unlock it."
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    Is this Bose anti-theft code on all the Bose systems that Mazda has put in or did they stop this. I know that this was popular in the earlier to mid 90's on most car stereo systems. If this is a norm then I was not told about it on my 02 S. Then the question is how do you get your code because nothing is mentioned in the manual about it either?

I have another question to fwatson, or to any one else, I am going to be taking a road trip later on in the year and I was wondering what are the pros and cons on the Mill for a long trip? I plan on driving any where from 500 to 800 miles a day.
    Mine is an '01 P. But I can't imagine, other than a slightly stiffer ride, that the S would not be as good on the road as the P.

That said, I took a 3000 mile trip with mine after putting 800 local break-in miles on it. To make the story relatively short, the P is a fantastic highway cruiser. It performed flawlessly on the trip and is a very comfortable place to spend hours on end. Mine has the standard sound system, which is an excellent listening experience. If the Bose is better, it must be fantastic. All in all, I don't see how you could beat it for the trip you are planning. On the interstates running well in excess of the speed limits (it was either that or get run over by Georgia farm boys in elevated four wheel drive pickumups flying up behind you with lights flashing), I averaged about 27 MPG on 87 octane gas. The S requires premium though.

Negative? I can only think of one thing other than the rude Georgia farm boys. The car is very low, and going down the mountains north from Chatanooga, Tennessee sandwiched amongst about twenty semi-trailor trucks running around switchback curves at 80 MPH, was somewhat intimidating. I would describe it as running blind surrounded by two story buildings going almost a mile and a half a minute.

That's longer than I meant to write, but it really is a fine highway cruiser. I now have 7000 trouble free miles on it, and changed the oil and filter at 3800 (after the trip) and 6500 miles as the only maintenance other than checking tire pressure, battery water etc. I'll rotate the tires at 7500 just to even out wear, even though there is no sign of abnormal wear on them.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    Thank you for the information on the ride. I know what you mean by the pickups that you need a ladder to get into them. I have a couple of months yet before I go on my trip, it will be about 2800 miles round trip. Although I am not going down south I will be going through the mountains out west. Speaking of mileage I just filled up yesterday and I am getting 24 in town. If you think this is a fluke the fill-up before this one was 23.8. I admit I use a very light right foot. When I get back from the trip I will post highway mileage since it seems to come up about every couple of months. Thanks again.
    I recently took my '01 S on a close to 500 miles trip - me + 2 people + luggage in NH mountains. No problems, got over 28 mpg going 70+ all the time.
    You seem to be getting VERY good mileage in town, I get more like 21mpg (OTOH, I do redline it every now and then...).

Enjoy your trip -

Tomek
    To round out our milage discussion. For the 7000 miles, I have averaged about 20 city, 27 highway. And an overall average of about 22.3. Not high, but not bad for a relatively aggressive driver, not a hot rodder though. ;-)
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

I went to my local dealers to look at near-luxury cars. I wasn't expecting to look at millenia but the salesperson showed me some program cars. I drove one ('02 P with no options) and was not impressed with its power and features. They were around 20-22k for about 10k miles.

Then the salesperson showed me an '02 S that has been sitting on the lot for a couple of months (people see the price and overlook it) that they want to get rid of. It is the colors I want (silver ext., gray int. and chrome wheels) and is completely loaded (4 seasons, CD changer, chrome wheels). I drove it and was very impressed. I was given a ballpark figure of $26k for price.

Is this a good deal? I am not in a big hurry to buy so I told the salesman I would wait and see if the car sits longer (therefore a better deal). Should I try an drive down the price further?

What are everyone's opinions on this car? The reviews I have read are not encouraging (not worth the price, bottom of the barrell). For my job I need a "champagne" car on a "beer" budget. I told the salesman this and he immeadiately showed me the milenia (even hough I wanted to look at the XG350L).
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Somewhere between $25K-25.5K is pretty good deal. Carsdirect.com priced it at around $25.6K.
    I think silver is the best color for 01-02 Millenia. Good Luck.

Hi All, how's everyone doing?
    My 2000 Millenia S now has close to 50K miles without any major problems. Car's still running like a champ, eventhough there's now a big crack in my windshield (I shouldn't have let my wife drive my car) from a big [non-permissible content removed] stone falling from contruction truck; arggghhh. Does anyone know how much it cost to replace the windshield and if there's any side effect afterwards.

cheers
  • jezejeze Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

My Fuel Door/Trunk Opener Switch does not work. It does not open either. I already checked the fuses, no luck. I was curious if anyone had seen this problem. I heard that there is a TSB (T0900998 )that talks about thhis switch becoming loose. If anyone has access to the TSb or has any info. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Check your insurance policy it should cover GLASS,also there is no effect on your premium when you claim for "GLASS".

I had the same incident with my Millenia and the insurance took care of it without any hassle.

On the flip side- Go to a reputable Glass replacement establishment,because some of these places do crappy work.I had to take mine back two times for them to cork the windshield properly.
    Also, tell them to be very careful when installing the glass because sometimes they will scratch your paint.

Good Luck
    I took a longer test drive of an '02 S. However, gas had to be in it first. My reg. salesman was busy so the new guy went with me. He fueled it with regular and I asked if that was OK. He didn't even know that premium was recommended for these cars (tell you how popular the millenia is). He said he'd ask. Did he do any damage by putting reg. in it?

Also, are these cars really a good deal at the bottom line? I also went to my acura ealer and the salesman sai that I should stay away from the millenia because the depreciation would kill me (even though it's tax-deductale).
  • bibbensbibbens Member Posts: 6
    I took my wife to the Mazda dealer to have a look at on 01 Millenia P today, trying to generate some interest. Although she liked the style of the car, the first thing she noticed were the rust covered brakes which were clearly visible thru the wheels. I hadn't noticed it myself, but once she pointed it out, I had to admit it was pretty bad. Are any of you current owners put off by this or is it just something you get used to after a while? Perhaps the car hadn't been driven for a while and most of rust, at least that on the surface, would wear off with use. By the way, the sticker was 17,900 for an 01 P without options (i.e. no cold weather package), 20K miles. I would assume 17-17.5K would get it done. Sound good? Thanks.
    see my earlier post. I went to a dealer that had about ten '02 P program cars. the had no options and all had around 10k miles. They were being offerred for $20-22k depending on how long they had been sitting on the lot. are you in a hurry to buy? if not, you can get a really good deal by just waiting. the salesman told me that once the mazda 6 comes to their lot, they (and mazda) will want the millenias gone (including the new ones). I have narrowed my choices to a millenia or a TL. The TL is my choice. However, I also like the millenia and would enjoy it more if I could get it for a song (my salesman is going to call me next week to see if they can run an "end o the month" deal).
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone have any idea when production will end for the 2002 Millenia (and thus the Millenia in general)?
    The only rust I have seen anywhere on my 10 month old '01 P is a light surface oxidation on the rotors. The Millenia's brake rotors are the same material as almost all cars with disk brakes. The rust will appear anytime the disks get wet, but is harmless and will immediately disappear as soon as you drive the car and dry the brakes off by use.

This is not something exclusive to any car, and is only noticable because the wheels are so open and easy to see through. If you have a problem with it's appearance, you will have to get a car with solid steel wheels to hide the brakes.

I always drive my car a few miles after washing it to shine the disks up and eliminate the rust.

You and your wife might go brake inspecting to dealers of all brands of cars. I think what you find will alleviate her aprehension about this harmless , though unsightly, condition.
    I blieve that for all practical purposes, production of the millenia has stopped. The dealers are not ordering anymore so what the dealers have is what's left. the '02 S I am looking at is one of the last S models available on the east coast. However, that does not mean that there's a big rush to get them (this one's been on the lot for almost 4 months). I'm waiting on this one to sit longer so I can get a beter deal (I want the dealr to take the depreciation hit not me).
    You should get it for $25K (I got 01 S 13 months ago for $26K with Bose, 6CD changer and cold weather pkg). I test drove the TL and between the discounts on the Millenia and my trade in it was $8K more expensive, so I went with the Millenia.

Good luck, and do your shopping on 7/31 !

Tomek