Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• steevo2steevo2 Member Posts: 33
    I looked at some other Mazda forums and someone suggested something very simple could be wrong ... loose belt on your water pump. Maybe it is slipping on those long hill climbs and not running the pump fast enough for proper coolant circulation. To find the forums I just did a Yahoo search on Mazda Millenia Overheat and found several. Is it bad to suggest another forum on this one? Oh well ... just tryin' to help.
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    I had mazda apply the TSB for replacing the gear shift cable, and boy what a difference. The car is much quieter inside the cabin - the old cable vibration noise is non-existent. I think the TSB applies to all S models from 99-01. If you visit the NHTSA web site, you can check you VIN to confirm. The re-designed cable has a new vibration dampener which is particularly effective when climbing hills or when under-load trying to maintain speed. This same cable is used in the '02 S model.

I highly recommend having this TSB applied.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    You obviously have a bone to pick. But your assessment of Millenia's reliability is laughable at best. Consumer Reports which uses owner questionaires says Millenia's "RELIABILITY HAS BEEN OUTSTANDING" on page 55 of the April 2002 Annual Auto Issue.

While Carpoint whose reporting comes from PROFESSIONAL MECHANICS

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp?src=URES

and

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Mazda&model=Millenia

shows Mazda Millenia to be superior to virtually every other car in the world in reliability. And with none of the "Significant Problem" areas your beloved Maxima suffers.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Nissan&model=Maxima

Don't rely on rumors and lies, look up the facts before posting.

Also as you are aware there is a Nissan Maxima vs Mazda Millenia forum in the Sedans vs Sedans section of Edmunds that was created for this type of COMPARISONS.

There is also no forum such as the 858 post "Nissan Maxima Problems" anywhere on Edmunds Town Hall complaining about Mazda Millenia.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's not feed the trolls. You may not realize it, but you've argued with this guy plenty and he's not going to change his mind. His purpose here is to tick you off. Don't give him the satisfaction.

Speed68, fwatson is correct -- those kinds of comments belong in the comparison discussion, not here. Of course you already know that.

We've run you out of here before. I don't see any need to have to do all that again. If you can't stay on topic and be polite, your messages will be removed.
  • amathewamathew Member Posts: 3
    I just changed my oil, and decided to gofor the 5w -30 synthetic. It runs great. There was a post saying that the dealer does not want us to use synthetic. Anyone else heard of this?
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    My dealer recommends synthetic for '01 S, not sure what weight though.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    My 2000 Millenia S is almost 3 yrs old now and the temp never goes past the middle indicator, even during the last 108F temp here in SoCal. I've driven the car for an hour straight to Palm spring this past summer with outside temp over 110F and still the temp eratur indicator didn't get past the middle; My luck I guess.

52800 miles and still going strong and loving it even more.
  • tommyboisxty9tommyboisxty9 Member Posts: 8
    I don't wholly trust Carpoints reliability ratings, stuff they've said is good hasn't been and rated poorer with Consumer Reports. But as a general guide, good. Consumer Reports has the Millenia listed as Excellent I believe anyhow.

Secondly, on the 2000 Model Mill. Ed. --- what does the stock sound system consist of (speaker wise, i.e. how many, types, etc.)

I know the new ones are like 9 speaker systems, curious about the older ones.

Oh, I guess another few things...

What's the wheel Lug spacing & offset for the S model and Whats YOUR mileage, any problems to date?

I have a 2000 Acura TL now but am thinking of selling it and buying a Millenia to save me some money (horrid resale value) but am leary of the SC'ed engine - cuz this car has to last me through college (6 years and at least 120k miles)

Thanks again!

Oh are there any webpage forums dedicated to Mazda/and or Millenia
    (i.e. www.acuraworld.com, www.maxima.org, etc...)
    Please leave the troll to me. Otherwise I will have to remove your messages referencing him. Thanks. :)
  • bmkuppebmkuppe Member Posts: 2
    I had a question about my 2002 Milenia SS. I have 2,000 miles on my vehicle now and I am getting 16mpg. Is something wrong? Should I have my dealer look at the vehicle?? Please help!!
  • bmkuppebmkuppe Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me on the gas milage for my 2002 milenia SS. I have 2,000 miles on the vehicle and I got 16mpg last tank. Is there something wrong with my vehicle or is their normal? Please help!!!
    I'm getting 20mpg city, 28-29 highway.
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    Does the Millenia have the oscillating vent feature like the 626?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
  • phatpatphatpat Member Posts: 22
    When I bought my 95 Millenia used I only got 1 remote. Does anyone know how I go about getting another one?
  • steevo2steevo2 Member Posts: 33
    Seems I've seen those remotes quite often on EBAY. Maybe they'll work for you.
    I checked EBAY and nothing for the Millenia. They had one for just about every other Mazda but not the Mill. Thanks for the info though.
    I might have a spare. I sent you an e-mail if you are interested.
  • jezejeze Member Posts: 15
    Hey check out the other remotes for the other Mazda Models as well. Actually do a search on ebay for the number on the back of the remote. I know for my Millenia I think the MPV has the same remote.

Good Luck
    All of your responses are greatly appreciated. I'm on the case today.
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    I beleive a 95 626 remote is the same.
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    The mazda parts CD lists 5 different remotes for the 95 millenia. Just go to the dealer and pay the $115.
    John,
    The Millenia remote is unique to that model. The MPV has no trunk release and no panic button until 2000MY.

Bob,
    There are actually only 2 and the early one is $115 vs $200 for the most common one that fits up to the 2000MY. The early one is the same as the late model 929 but it wasn't very long in the Mill.

The '95 626 remote is the Ford style, not even close. Of course Bob, you could have checked that.
    Okay let me apologize in advance for posting dumb a** questions. I'm definitely trying to go the EBAY route but lets say I get it, what needs to be done for it to work with my car. Does it have to go to the dealer to get programmed or what?
    Either take it to the dealer and have it programmed or you can follow the instructions listed in the shop manual to program it yourself (not very difficult).
  • jmw7jmw7 Member Posts: 1
    Blake, I have a 2000 S and have over 25K on the odo. My gas milage has been a measly 18mpg for city and highway combined. Spoke to dealer in Dallas Tx. area who claimed that the reformulated gas is the culprit. Other than the gas mileage (it sucks!), the MM is a very dependable car.
  • un_yzun_yz Member Posts: 12
    How to reprogram your car's remote:

Step 1: Open the driver's side door, and then press the lock button (on the door) so all the doors lock and the security light comes on.

Step 2: Unlock the drivers side door by turning up the switch so the security light now turns off.

Step 3: - Insert your key in the ignition and turn it to ACC position, and then take out the key. Repeat this three times. (remember to take the key completely out!)

Step 4: Close and open the door three times. The car should now beep once.

Step 5: Press any button on the remote two times. The car should beep once again.

Step 6: Wait 5 seconds and then the car should beep four times and your remote is programmed!
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    Step 7: Do a little jig.

Step 8: Bow to Japan and stand on your head.

Step 9: Throw some salt over your shoulder.

There its done..

Sorry couldn't resist....lol
    Don't forget to mention what to do if he has 2 remotes.

I believe the procedure you gave him will lock out any others but the one he programs.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    What are the lowest prices now for both the P & S models & where are they? Looks like Kelley blue book site is showing $ 7,500 in incentives. How come this info is not on Edmunds?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    My new P model has to have the accelerator pushed almost to the floor for it to downshift. Has anyone been able to get the shift points reprogramed so that shifts can be made quicker? Any info on reprograming would be appreciated.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    A Boston area dealer has an ad for a 2002 S for $22,835 as I do not qualify for the college graduate additional $500 off. They are advertising it as $10K off. It seems like Mazda/Ford has pretty much eaten a lot of the depreciation on this car.

BTW, I keep reading that this car depreciates but every time I look at a used one they don't seem very cheap to me. My wife's 2000 Impala depreciated about 10K in two years.

I looked at the 2000 model two years ago and I didn't want to pay $26K for it. I also didn't like the harshness from the tires. This car doesn't need 17 inch wheels in my opinion. Are the tires still harsh? The new model isn't as good looking as the older model imho but it has more features.

I'm looking for advice. I know Edmunds rated it dead last in its test but at this price it is now in a totally different competition. I will call tomorrow and see what its all about.

For the same money I can buy a used 2001 Lincoln Continental which is faster though not more manuverable obviously. I consider bothto be "luxury" cars. Easier to get parts for Lincoln and cheaper also. The mileage may not be that different as I see some Millenia owners are not getting good mileage. I have considered the Maxima but I don't want a live rear axle.
  • w4vicw4vic Member Posts: 3
    FYI-

Some of the instructions posted mention pulling the key completely out -- this is NOT the case for my 2001 P. Everything in the directions is correct about car door open, lock, unlock, insert key, power on/off 3 times, then you'll hear a horn beep - hit any of the remote buttons (I got 3 of 4 remotes to program) and you'll hear the car beep. You're all set.

Lastly, don't pay $100+ for remotes - please, you're just allowing the dealer to gouge us! Go on ebay or do a web remote search. Plenty of guys out there will sell for $40 or less. I got 2! Millenia 01 remotes for $25.
    Thanks people, you all have been truly helpful. The arguments about cars are cool but when you can really get good info from complete strangers, that's what makes this site.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    Kelly is showing 4 different incentives;

1. 0% financing
    2. Low financing and $2,500 rebate
    3. $5,000 rebate
    4. $500 college graduate

These incentives can not be combined, except the college graduate. You can only pick one of them.

Gas mileage in my '02 S in town is 23-24 mpg.
    I'm sorry I have to say this and it's not just because I own a 95 Mill S. I am at work and just took a smoke break out in the parking lot, I was just looking around and happened upon my car. The Millenia is such a good looking car. I can't believe they're not going to be continued. I mean honestly what other car looks that good. It definitely looks better than the Lexus (Es), all Acuras, the Maxima etc. I live in Los Angeles and most of the nice cars people have are the Beamers and the High end Lexus's and so on, but you really don't see that many Mill's as opposed to in my hometown of MD. I see the same nice beamers everyday, and I would love one but they're everywhere. I love the seeing Mills here because it reminds me of my car. If a car could truly be handsome, I'm sorry but the Mill is it. I just wanted to get that off my chest. Please continue.
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    Can the autodimming mirror be installed at the dealership or is it a factory option only? That way I can pick one out that is otherwise what I want and add it on.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Went to dealer as noted above. They had a great deal on black S without CD changer, winter package or chrome wheels for $22,800 plus another $600 for Lojack. Didn't care about the wheels but wanted the CD changer and the winter package and didn't want a black car. Bought Sand Mica S for $25.5K plus $150 for moonroof deflector. They wouldn't budge on the price, so I paid an extra $3K for $1400 of options but got the color I wanted. On the other hand this is the same price it sold for 2 1/2 years ago when I looked at them. Got lousy trade in for my car but given market today decided to get it. Picking it up on Monday.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    You can add the mirror later...I had it added to my 2001 S.
  • rmck46rmck46 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 p MM with 17000 mi and Loud trans whine ,rattle ,getting progressively worse.Nhsta has 2 TSB identifing cable problem not specific to S MM.I took it into dealer here in SW Florida.They claim there has been customer complaints and cable identified as source of noise.Dealer said Mazda has not authorized cable replacement.According to dealer problem won't damage transmission but it will not be fixed under warranty.Where and how did you get yours taken care of?Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks rmck46
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I was offered a price of $22500 plus tax yesterday for a P with 4 Seasons and two-tone paint. I have x-plan and have seen others suggest that maybe there is another $1000 or so available in discount.

Salesman suggested that with 4.6% financing I could buy with nothing out of pocket and a payment of $360/mo. for 60 mo. Six years ago I paid that payment to buy a $19000 car with 2000 down. The price is amazing considering the level of equipment and styling of this car. Question of course, is do I want to own a discontinued model. I'm also looking at a lease on a Volvo S60 with a 32000 sticker and a lease in the area of $390 with no money down.

I have one month left on my lease and am thinking of offering to make a deal if they pay my last payment ($300) and knock another $500 off the selling price. Does this sound about right for this car right now. They have four in stock with 3 in acceptable colors. Still, don't know what will be around in another month if I wait.
    Something doesn't add up...:
    22,500 / 60 = 375

My loan calculator shows $22,500 financed for 60 months at 4.6% is $420.49.

I've seen MM P advertised for $20,900 in the Boston area, not sure though what they had for options.

Good luck,

Tomek
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    You're right. The sales guy told me that with the 5000 cash and an additional 1000 down the payment would be $343. I tacked on $20 for subtracting the additional $1000 down.

Either the selling price was a lot less than $22,500 or the payment period would have to be bigger than 60 months. I'm surprised that I didn't catch the error but the number was so fantastic I guess I just got caught up in the thought of such a great deal.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    First of all, it's a 2.3l, not a 2.2l.
    Second, it's a supercharged 2.3l, not a turbo 2.2l
    Third, it's a 210HP V6 engine, not just a regular 2.2l four banger, so city gas milage of around 19-20 is normal.

My 2000 Millenia S has about 53K miles now, never overheats, getting about 19mpg in SoCal traffic with A/C on all the time, rattle-free and oh so much fun to drive.

BTW, I always drives my millenia hard, pushing the engine to the limit everytime the freeway opened up, and the "supercharger" (no, not a turbo) just keeps pushing and pushing. Has it ever leaked? NO, how much have I paid for engine maintenance so far, less than $700 for almost 3 years.

Hey scroll up to post #1940 and see how kcm8419's Mill S is getting 23-24mpg city; why not quoting his mpg?? Everyone's driving style is different, which makes mpg on a Mill S varies. I drives hard, so I'm getting 19mpg when my wife's driving it, she's geting 20.5mpg.
    Good to hear from you, I was getting worried...
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    I am looking for a little advice.I have a S.E. Premium Millenia 2002 that the airbag comes on for a while & flashes and then it will go out & stay off for several hours.I taken it to the dealer which they had my car all day.The service man said it they could find a problem becuase the light did not come on while they tested and they put it on some kind machine that did not detect a problem either.When I drove car for about an hour after leaving the dealership the same thing happened.The light does not continuously stay on.
    If anyone has had this problem,please let me know what you did to resolve it.
    THANKS
    Don't forget that Mazda provides you with free alternate transportation - loaner car - if you have the car in for repairs! If the dealer doesn't volunteer it, ask and you will receive... :-)

Fortunately for me, I haven't had any problems with airbag light.

Tomek
    Folks, please -- see pat Sep 22, 2002 6:04pm.

Maybe some of you don't realize that the Town Hall is not monitored in real time. Most of your hosts - including me - are part time contractors who keep up with posted messages as often as possible. But sometimes it may take a day or two to get to a particular discussion.

I've always appreciated when a discussion member emails me about any difficulties he or see sees in a discussion. That gets me to the problem areas as soon as I see the email. Otherwise I may not get here for a while.

Let me mention one other thing -- violations of the Membership Agreement are violations of the Membership Agreement. It does not matter at all that an uncivil, disruptive and off-topic message is posted in *response* to an uncivil, disruptive and off-topic message.

Uncivil, disruptive and off-topic messages are out of bounds period.

Again, let ME handle the troll. And please email me if you see something here you don't like and I haven't gotten here yet.

I appreciate your cooperation. Send me an email if you have any questions or anything further to say about this issue.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    We have been getting them with much larger rebates than that for over a year. I got $8000 off mine over a year ago.