Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• saxon22saxon22 Member Posts: 6
    thank you for responding to my call. I still have not decided. I went to my local Mazda dealer over the weakend and they had about 10 2000 MMsblack, white,and green. Price 22.000 plus the usual tx tags dest ect. Seems like a decent deal and the guys were easy to deal with. Today I went to my local Nissan place and I felt powerless. What to do????????? I like 'em both. I currently drive:
    84 Vette - for fun
    89 civic - to work
    I want Maxima because I know I will miss the power once I let my vette go. However, on the other hand if I get it I will miss the attention I am used to on the street and respect on the highway when I go a bit sleeker than the rest.
    I want both style and perfomance - (I guess I should go for another vette - wife would kill me and torch the car).
    I also checked the Avalon, NOOOOOOOOOO way I am going to drive it "bench seats", what is next Forida nad collecting social security. It is not for me for another 30 years. A solid car though.
    Infinity is too much like Maxima not enough of difference to warrant the price increase.
    So back to square one. Millenia or Maxima??????
    Please convince me one way or another. Thanx
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Go for the Millenia...after all it was designed to be a luxury sedan from the ground up...it has no cousins like the ES300 and Camry or Maxima and I30...it is its own unique car. Everyone who rides in my Millenia is always impressed, especially when the steering wheel moves up and down. I have the two-tone white/sand mica paint...people often mistake my car for a Lexus. But you have to make the decision
    A. Be the only Millenia at the stop light
    B. Be one of the 20 Maximas waiting at the stop light
    I didn't want to be like everyone else, which is why I went for the Millenia. So far 1.5 years later I am still very happy and thinking about getting a 2002 Millenia S when my lease runs up.
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    saxon22, i have to agree w/ milleniaman1, besides, the maxima is UGLY from the outside!!! Sorry, just my personal pref.
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    I will definatley express my concurrence with the other individuals who recommends the Millenia.

A recent Consumer Reports -- Used Car Purchase Guide, gave the Millenia its, "Recommend" comments; and thus far I haven't had any problems with my '00 Mil.S -

The Millenia, is truly a vehicle in a class of its own, this car truly defines the word, Elegance & Uniqueness.

If you dare to be original, do the dew!

Regards,
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Looking to buy a new 00 Millenia S or Millenium Edition. Was wondering what is a good price to get these in the Boston area. Thanks.
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    I haven't noticed it until you mentioned it. It's only a minor amount, and I don't notice it unless I look for it. The fact that the window is so small bothers me more. I haven't found it to be a safety issue for me.

I had problems with my fuel gauge, and it wasn't until I return a nasty response on my repair questionaire until they fixed it.

Did you try other Millenias in their lot for this distortion? Is your's worse than other Millenia's. If so, keep fighting and good luck.

Bob
  • jfb7jfb7 Member Posts: 11
    I have an appointment to meet with a salesman at Mazda on Tuesday evening. I was originally going to buy a leftover '00 S, but they don't have any leftovers. They do, however, have a car that I'm VERY interested in making my own! It is a '98 S in absolutely mint condition! I went to the dealership one Sunday recently and went over every inch of the car. It is FLAWLESS! Better yet, it only has 18,000 miles on it! I have read every posting on this site - the majority of them stating nothing but praise for this car. Still, I would appreciate any feedback from owners of the '98 model re: handling, performance and any problems they may have experienced. I've done all my homework regarding pricing of this car. I know the dealership has listed it at $21,995, which is too high even with the low mileage factor. I think it's priced about $2K too high! Any thoughts? One last question: I have read alot about the dreaded 60K mile servicing for the S. Are there any other warranties out there that cover this - or would this fall under "scheduled maintenance?" Any info or thoughts would really be appreciated. I think this site "rules" and so do all you Millenia owners out there!! I hope to be joining the ranks very soon! Thanks! John
    Just some FYI for Millenia owners who want to lower their cars for improved looks and handling.

H&R makes lowering springs that fit '94 - '00 Millenia. It lowers the front: 1.4" and rear: 1.3"
    The parts number is: 29956. MSRP for the kit is
    $429.00 This kit will make your Millenia ride quality between 25% - 30% stiffer.

Bilstein is also under-development of a performance shock application for the '00 Millenia. Vist the official site and contact thier authorizied distributers for actual release dates.

Regards
    Are there any modifications for Millinia L such as a turbocharger or anything else that would bring it up 50 60 ponies. I checked stillen.com but they only had stuff for maxima.
  • ecafecaf Member Posts: 44
    acabral1, sorry it's been some time since my last visit in this forum. The leather products I use (Lexol leather cleaner, Connolly Hide Food for conditioner/preservative) don't add sheen to the seats. Once the leather is cleaned, the Hide Food is applied and allowed to be absorbed for about a day (or the better part of a weekend). The residue is then buffed off with a clean towel. The resulting finish is flat and satiny, rather than shiny and slippery. The seats must be buffed well or else they'll feel slightly waxy. The stuff never gets on clothes though. Heavy duty stuff! For platic surfaces, I use Lexol Vinylex. I've used this stuff for years, though not as often as I should. Still, the interior in my '95 is in great shape after 109,000 miles. I'm leary of any combination cleaner & conditioner product for leather. I'm also afraid to use any product called ArmorALL with the interior; I heard it does some short-term good but much long-term bad.
    I have a '95 S with 109,000 miles and have been averaging about 24 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Some weeks when I drive around town more the average drops to 23.5 mpg. On a 650 mile trip I averaged 26 to 28 mpg. This is a California emissions car and I use the high octane fuel.

Unfortunately, my check engine light recently came on. Turns out a $311.00 EGR valve needs to be replaced. Ouch! I can still drive the car, however my average mpg has been reduced by about 10% to 15%. But, I shouldn't complain since my Millenia has been very reliable for its five years. Just don't get me started on how much it costs to get my Miller-cycle S tuned up.
    (This is old news for you hardcore Milleniacs.)

Those who are interested in a sportier Millenia should check out the "SP" model Mazda sells in Australia. It features Eibach springs, upgraded shocks (how do U.S. folks get those?), and 17" Antera rims on wider 235/45 R17 tires. Also check out the blacked-out grille and side window trim. Crikey!

http://businesscentre.bigpond.com/lifestyles/motoring/mazda_eunos.htm

My question is this: why didn't Mazda give America the Millenia SP? Even the Europeans would have appreciated a Xedos 9 SP. And throw in some Xenon HID headlamps, for cryin' out loud.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Nice catch ecaf, I'd love to see Mazda USA do something like that. Especially with the sportier looking '99 and '00 Millenia. The blacked-out looks pretty cool too, but you're right, HID is a must for today's luxury car. BTW, the "SP" means special Performance, I know this because I used to own a Mazda Astina SP (Mazda 323 Hatchback 5-door) when I go to school in Sydney.
    Also, If only Mazda would just bring the Eunos brand name here instead of trying to get the "Amati" going, they might have something big like Acura, Infinity and Lexus (Well, maybe not that big). Mazda already started using the Eunos brnad in Australia, and some part of Asia in 1992. At that time, bringing the Eunos brand here might bring more success to Millenias and Mazda brand as a whole. Just my thought.
    BTW, if you're interested to see Eunos's very nice emblem, scrool up a bit and go to my previous link, and check out the front shot of my '94 white RX7.

Cheers.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Today I went to see MM dealer again. He still has my white pearl Millenia waiting for me. Price 22.000 plus 300 for paint. I love the way this car looks but how difficult is it to keep white clean??? I have had red, green, even black cars but never white. Will I have to wash it wax it every other day????????/
    I agree, Csuftitans. However, I personally think "Amati" sounds better than "Eunos". I'd like to say that I drive an Amati 800-M. But I don't really like "Xedos"... 'cuz I can hardly pronounce it! Off the subject, the Eunos 500 and Xedos 6 looks like a "Mini-Me-Millenia". Mazda USA should have given us that car rather than the 626.

At least Mazda USA gave us the Millenium Edition, although I prefer the leather interior of the S model over the suede. Maybe Mazda USA should have offered leather with the Millenium Edition. They could have called it the "Mazda Millenia S & M"! Whips and chains optional! Heh-heh-heh.

Nice pictures! I believe you do have a picture of the Eunos 800-M SP there. By the way, how does one get a hold of a Eunos emblem?
  • toddster1toddster1 Member Posts: 18
    White is generally considered one of the easier colors to keep clean. It hides daily road dust very well. What it doesn't hide is road splash. If you live in a wet climate where road grime is a constant battle then the sand mica would probably work better. If you get the black, or emerald green you will be washing your car every other day regardless of weather conditions.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I have the two-tone pearl white mica/sand mica paint...I have found it very easy to maintain. The sand mica on the bottom hides a lot of the road grime. My last cars were red and green...the white has been a lot easier to maintain then the red and green.
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    Just got a quote to replace the timing belt and water pump on my '95 Millenia L. Three different shops quoted around $650 for this. What are you finding to be the market price for your area?

Thanks,

Jack
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    When is MM 2K+1 going to be available????
    Also is the price going to be close to 2000???
    Thanx
    MM
    caradvise, $18895 for a base Millenia is a very good deal. I would save the extra $5000 for something else, eg sound system or HID headlights.

My prediction it that the 2001 Millenia should be out by before thanksgiving. I'm going to Califonia Auto show this weekend in Anaheim, hoping to see the 2001 Millenia. Wheater it's there or not, I will ask the rep there about the release date for 2001 Millenia. As for price, I'm pretty sure you can get one for invoice price, maybe even lower if they have rebates going; which happens about 90% of the time for Mazdas car.

Ecaf, I got the Eunos emblem in Sydney five years ago. If you have friends/cousin in Australia, hong kong or japan, be nice to them, and ask them to get one for you.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    in order to decide between both cars you need to find out if you would want to have the leather seats (with heated seats option) vs cloth seats,, Bose stereo system, the 210 hp engine vs the 170, the powered sunroof and the beautiful 17 in wheels (go for the chrome option)instead of the 16 in alloys, with the slightly sportier ride ( cus for 18895 I'm assuming that this is a base millenia that did not have any of the above options), now if you would want to have all the above features I thinks that $24119 is a heck of a price, especially if you can afford the difference in cost. on the other hand if you do not care about any of the above options then go for the base millenia, its still a very nice car.

and at the end, you are the one who would have to decide, I'm only trying to show you what might be the differences in both cars that you need to look for in order to make your own decision..

regards
  • officersofficers Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Millenia S (which I love) which has
    approx. 85k miles. I recently heard a knocking
    noise and when I took it to a Mazda dealer, they
    told me I had an internal engine leak and the
    entire engine would have to be replaced which
    would
    cost about $13,000. Being as I only paid $12,000
    for the car, I wanted to know if anyone else had
    experienced this problem or could it be something
    else. It has the Miller Cycle engine in it.
    Help.
    I was told by several dealerships, that the 2001 Millenia will be released in the late December to early January timeframe; and that rebate will probably not be available until six months of its intial release (pending sales)

If the 2001 model is really an improved version, I will purchase another one. If it isn't an improvement over the 2000 model. I will stray into the Lexus market
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    for a 95 L, 685 is alot. that sound s like they qouted you for the S..if not , i shop around.

for the 95 engine blown, what happened that caused engine to leak( valve cover gaskets or other)? 13g's for a new engine- pppplllleeeaasseee- i don't think so
    That price is nonetheless astronomical. Convey this problem to other Mazda Dealerships in our local vicinity to obtain another diagnosis of the problem and cost to repair. If thier prices are also high - contact a reputable local shop for estimates. Dealing with a non-mazda shop will should not pose as a threat because your warranty has already expired. First inquire, whether or not they have experience working on a Millenia's engine and to what degree their experience is.

If all your sources quote you a repair price close to or more than the price you paid for the car -- sell it - unless you can honestly warrant a sound reason as to why you'd want to spend that amount of money for your Millenia.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    we went to quirk mazda in Quincy and they offered us the S and the Millenium Ed. at $7000 off MSRP. Below $25k for the Millenium Edition with the 4 season package. But their service sucks so we walked out.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    My brother is a certified mechanic and when I told him about this price-tag, what he did was a long w-h-i-s-t-l-e .........

Probably better to use the 13K toward a new car, but not another "S." I had a '95 "L" and it ran well, even with merely 170 HP.
  • caradvicecaradvice Member Posts: 3
    turbotc, I agree that services are not nice at Quirk when I tried to buy the millenia. However, when they tried to sell me the Volkswagon, they treated me very nicely.

Thank you for the responses on base v.s. S. from you folks. I really like to have a moonroof and the smoother engine of S, but do not prefer the leather seat. Oh well, I really had no concept about car, I even attempted to drive a car with one wheel stolen :-) I'd better save 5K for the next car when I know how to select and appreciate the luxury car.

Thanks.
  • caradvicecaradvice Member Posts: 3
    I looked at the money.com. Millenia has "very high" for maintenance rating. What does it mean?
    Does it mean it has a lot of problems to be repaired. Or it means it costs a lot to repair? Or both? Thanks.

Check it out.

http://cgi.money.com/cgi-bin/money/carfinder/carfinder.plx?sortField=maint&sortOrder=desc&step=result&targetPrice=any&class=midsize&make=any&resaleValPct=any&maint=any&insurCost=any&start=0
    has anyone installed the xpel hood, light and bumper paint protectant film on their car?? Just curious as to how hard it was to install and is it working? The hood kit is listed at 99.95, and the light kit at 59.95. The bumper kit is 229.95 which I will probably skip. They mention that the film is invisible on every color but white, of course I have the pearl white paint. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions???
  • sooner3sooner3 Member Posts: 2
    I recently replaced a water pump, timing belt and auxillery belts on my Mazda Millenia 2.5L eng. It took me about 12 hours and a Chilton repair manual. It was by far the toughest water pump repair job I've ever done. I'm proably a avg. shade tree mechanic, be sure and get your timing right. Cost about $160. for quality after market parts,I used NAPA parts. Getting timing belt covers off was the toughest part. They should make auto enginners do repairs on thier own designs!
  • rysakrysak Member Posts: 7
    I got some rear window distorsion also. However, I don't know if it's the glass or its extra tint I put when I purchased the car.
    Any one knows where I can purchase rear spoiler for 2000 Millenia at reasonable price?
    Mazda Australia just rename their Eunos 800M to Millenia. They have a good description of all the improvement on the new Millenia and a good picture of it too. I think it looks pretty nice and muscular from this picture's angle.
    Here's the link to the pic and review

http://www.mazda.com.au/models/252.html
    http://www.mazda.com.au/corpora/873.html
    cheers
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    I suspect it means exactly that. Toyotas, which are renowned for reliability in some circles, are also scored Hi, which suggests to me that they're looking at costs of repair, not frequency of repair. (The Millenia does well, for instance, in the Consumer Reports charts.)
  • bv678bv678 Member Posts: 1
    I took a 1995 Millenia S for a test drive and loved it. I noticed a fairly pronounced clicking noise from the engine when I popped the hood. Is this a normal characteristic of the Miller-cycle engine?
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
  • rmck46rmck46 Member Posts: 8
    Continental had 95000 mi when I trashed it Sorry
    It's unfortunate that you weren't treated the way you expected to be treated by Mazda dealership you visited. Hopefully, that was an isolated incident. The funny thing to your story is that, I recieved the same type of treatment from a Lincoln dealership, when I was considering the LS-V8. Again, perhaps my experience was an isolated one as well! Who knows, but anyways good luck with whatever car you decide to go with.

Regards,
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The dealership had one S in stock when I arrived Thursday, and that's the first car they wanted me to see. (I wound up buying a 626 anyway.) Then again, I'm old. :)
  • billmozebillmoze Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased a new 99 Millenia S that I am very pleased with. In reading the Owner's manual they state that a special tool is required to tighten the oil filter when doing a oil & filter change. I like to do my own oil & filter changes. Can anyone tell me what they're talking about re.this so-called special tool?
    I have no idea, I have changed the oil 3x on my 99 Millenia S without any tool.

Has anybody applied an x-pel hood protector or headlight protector?
  • rysakrysak Member Posts: 7
    Toddster,
    I don't know if the clear coat I got on my hood is the same thing as x-pel but I should say that this thing is great! I got MM silver and you can't tell that there is anything on its hood. It's nice having it especially when you live in CO with all sand and rocks road folks put during winter time:)
    If you are interested in this stuff you can get it at McDonalds in Englewood. Don't ask me how much I paid for it since it was part of the deal when I got the car.
  • softwarescsoftwaresc Member Posts: 3
    I just paid 19 thousand for a pearl/white 98 Base
    Millenia (loaded). Completely spur of the moment...I was on my way to buy a Camry....the car just caught my eye. This group is great...I will
    be following it regularly....

P.S. I'm under mazda warranty till July 28 2001.
    Should I pay for any extended warranties?
    Last Sunday - I found myself toying (racing) a 2000 BMW 328 on about 15 miles of straight highway. My good ole' Millenia S comfortably beat the BMW 328 - I was doing 115mph - and the Bimmer was approximately 1.5 car lengths behind me.

The Millenia handled well at this speed but, I think the handling needs slight refinement while at these speeds - steering feels kind of hypersensitive. But from what I understand this issue has been addressed in the 2001 Models.

Has or does anyone know if the 2000 Mil S has a governor or engine retard controller?
    Wow, acabral1, I enjoyed your story. But frankly, you're starting to scare me. Last month, I read about your racing incident with the Civic SI with much amusement. And now you raced a BMW 3 at the rather felonious pace of 115 mph, a speed better reserved for the track. What's the matter, have a little pent-up aggression? Does the Type-A personality in you take over to the point where your compulsive competitive urges put other drivers in danger? How old are you? Do your parents know about the sort of driving that you do when they're not watching?

I'm totally convinced that the Millenia 2.3 is sufficiently quick. Like you, I bought mine for its performance characteristics. Realistically, in a controlled acceleration experiment, an automatic 328 will pull away from the Millenia in most of the standard tests (0-60, 1/4 mi, etc.). The 328 will do 0-60 in 7.1 sec, 1/4 mile in 15.3 sec. The Millenia's figures are higher. This is by virtue of the BMW's lighter weight, 5 speed auto tranny, etc. Plus, compared with the Mazda both the Civic and BMW are entirely different creatures.

-ecaf

P.S. Hope you took no offense, but balance and discourse are long overdue in forums like this!
    Thanks for the post. The XPEL hood kit on their web site is $99. I went ahead and ordered the light protector kit $59. I am going to see how the installation of that goes before I buy any of thier paint protector kits. They rate the light kits installation as easy, so if I screw that up I'll know not to try the hood or front mask kit. They state that the light protection kit can withstand impacts of up to a 1" stone at 120MPH. Hopefully I won't ever test that theory. I also live in CO and in another couple of months you won't be able to drive anywhere without getting pelted with gravel. I let everyone know how the installation goes in a couple of weeks. I really wish someone made one of the contoured bug deflectors for the hood, that way it would help to save my windshield as well.
    Most people forget to take into consideration the affect altitude will have on the horsepower rating of an engine. The engines horsepower rating in given at seal level. The engine actually produces about 4% less horsepower for every 1000 ft rise in elevation. Forced induction engines are immune to the atmospheric loss because when the turbo or supercharger starts packing in the air it cancels out the lower air density afflicting normally aspirated vehicles. In Denver the altitude is roughly 5280'. This means most cars are producing approximately 20% less power than their engines are rated. The Millenia S continues to pump out power close to its 210HP rating. To put this in perspective the 222HP Nissan Maxima is only making 178 HP in Denver. Driving west of Denver on I-70 you have to drive over the continental divide at around 11000'. Most cars have lost 44% of their power. I've never actually raced a Maxima in Denver, or any other car for that matter, but I bet the races here would be a lot closer than at sea level. If we were up in Georgetown however, I would bet the ranch on the Millenia every time.
    Well, after many hours of internet surfing trying to validate the 4% loss per 1000 ft rise in elevation I have come to the conclusion that this figure is a little optimistic. (I got it from the 1999 September Go Boating magazine). I found an FHA flight advisory for high altitude flying which stated that the power loss in a normally aspirated gasoline engine is expected to be 14% at 5000' and 34% at 10000'. The same engine with a single stage supercharger could be expected to maintain its sea level rating through 8000'. So again my point is that here in Denver the Millenia S is a true 210 hp car. The Maxima's 222 HP is closer to 190 in Denver and closer to 150 cruising through Vail. Time to lay the smack down!