Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    yeah, I've been a bad little boy! nope - no offense taken, to briefly answer your questions - yup, yup, yup and yeah - Myself and the BMW driver apparently had a mutual understanding of the risks we were taking! :-)
    Thanks - bringing amusement to you is always pleasurable........ but anyways, regarding your 3 series figures I tend to look beyond these presented numbers because there tend to be many variances amongst them in general, although slight; but the existance of them says a lot - because of factors I believe we are all quite aware of.

According to the numbers - the 328 would indicate the ability to move faster than the Millenia S - but again, I managed to defy the numbers presented, and again my experience/outcome also has essential factors than need to taken into account as to the probability as to why I managed to outspeed a 328.

The Millenia S is definatley more than sufficient with its speed - (while in motion) I can personally attest to that, from my encounters with vehicles in the realm of: 3.2TL, RX300, Maxima SE, SI, 328, 3.5RL, I30 and a few others as well.

What can I say, I like to drive fast........... I am hoping to top out my Millenia's speedo sometime soon! Oh yeah ecaf, spare me the lecture this time! :-)

Regards,
  • caradvicecaradvice Member Posts: 3
    jfb7. turbotc,

The Mazda sales manager of Boston/Quincy gave me a hard time. When I paid my car on Thur. the finance clerk said that only the bachelor students are qualified for the $400 rebate. However, I checked at the Mazda WEB site to find out that Master students are also qualified and printed out the AD. I asked for the price adjustment on Sat when I picked up the car. The sales manager got really irritated and said that "this is the best deal, if you don't agree, I would cancel the deal". So I was really mad and said "Fine, go ahead. I don't care" and immediately stood up to leave. He said "You need your checks back, right?". "Of course". 20 minutes later, my sales rep. was called to the counter, when he returned, he brought the paperwork with the new price and said that they would sell the car to me. What an idiot! He can cancel the deal at any time, I had nothing to lose. The sale price is still valid and I can come back to buy the car again the next day. That's what I told my sales rep. who provided very good services. He even agreed that the sales manager was an idiot too.

Any way, if you will graduate soon or just graduated and you will buy/lease '99 or '00 new mazda car, ask for additional $400 rebate and deferred payment.
    check www.mazdausa.com.

So I bought the '00 millenia base for $18495. ($400 off the AD. price)

My rear window has terrible reflection of the inside(headreset, speaker) that I can't see the outside clearly. I am not sure that there is distortion or not. Any way, it's way unclear comparing to the vision from the side mirror.
  • lf1000002lf1000002 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all who responded to my posting (rbrubaker, csuftitans, rysak, caradvice).

rysak, I don't think your distortion is caused by extra tint. In fact, I am even considering tinting my window hoping it will help reduce the distortion, because I noticed that on cloudy or rainy day, or especially when I drive in a dark, there is less distortion.

caradvice, you probably have the light beige interior (I have it, too). I looked at other Millenias with darker gray interior and there was less reflection. The distortion exists in the glass itself (lower part especially), however I think that the reflection of the light interior adds to the distortion, because we are looking through some additional horizontal lines caused by speaker reflection. I agree that the view is unclear.

I had my car inspected last week by a District Rep. He didn't deny the distortion, and called Mazda's Engineering department. Their response was that there had been one other complaint (mine is #2), they are aware of this and that distortion is "typical for this type of car", so they are not going to do anything about it. My husband then called Mazda’s Customer Relations, and it was useless – like talking to a wall. I intend to keep complaining; and I am looking forward to receiving and filling out Mazda’s survey.

Anyway, so far I am quite unhappy with my Mazda dealer and with how Mazda treats customers. I intended to keep my Millenia for about five years, but if they are going to give me hard time every time there is a problem, I may not keep it for very long. Too bad, because I love the look.
  • ecafecaf Member Posts: 44
    I have been very happy with my '95 with over 100,000 miles (there I go again braggin' about how many miles). I've never experienced the window distortion thing. However, I have to agree that Mazda dealers are total d*cks! I sometimes envy my friends and relatives who rave about the excellent service at Saturn and Lexus dealers. Great cars like the Millenia deserve great dealers.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I've never had to deal with a bad Mazda salesperson, only salespersons who didn't know anything about the car they're selling. Even my wife knows more about Mazdas car than most of them do. As for buying a car, I usually go straight to the Fleet manager. My bad experience with a BMW salesperson a few years back is still haunting me.
    With a fleet manager, they will tell you straight how much the invoice and the selling price are. If any of you need to know a fleet manager in Los Angeles area, email me.

Two days ago, me and wife skip work to have our 2000 Millenia S serviced (15000miles). We went to Puente Hills Mazda, dealing with Krista, one of the service advisor. I told her what need to be done on the car and also about the small rattle
    noise from the rear roof area. We then asked her if they can take us to the nearest shopping mall, She then ask of their shuttle driver to take us to the nearest mall in a brand new Mazda MPV. So we got a ride to the mall in a very comfortable MPV. After about 2.5 hours, Krista called my cell phone and told me that the MPV is already waiting for us outside the mall; my car is ready to go.
    So we went back there and Krista is already waiting for us with my car. She then explained what has been done to the car and how they fixed the rattle problem. Loose moonroof mounting she said. she also mentioned that if the rattle noise's still there, then they will take out the headliner and do some more thorough work it.
    BTW, when I told her that I have a service coupon from another mazda dealers, she then gave me their own coupon for $5 less. What a service. We're very happy with the service that Krista provide us.

cheers
  • stbissstbiss Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a base 2000 Millenia which stickered for 25,500 , but I was able to buy for 19,900. After looking at V6 Camrys and V6 Accords, the Mazda easily undercut both those cars on price (3-4K) and with more equipment. The materials of the interior look much nicer as well. If Mazda priced this vehicle more competitively, there would be many more on the road. In the meantime, I'll enjoy not seeing the same model I am driving every 1//4 mile, like you do with Camrys and Accords.
    Congrats - on the purchase of your new Millenia, I am certain that you will be content with it. yes, it sure is great not seeing a lot of other Millenias on the road like you do with, TL, 3's, Accords and the like.

I personally think the Millenia is competively priced amongst its competing models - especially with the rebate, that was being offered. The, Millenia, is designed to compete against vehicles, like the TL, 3's and so forth; but many consumers cant digest the Millenia's competition base - for the reason that the Millenia is only a Mazda and a non-luxury line automobile cant compete against luxury line vehicles. A pound for pound review will show that the Millenia is an up to par against like vehicles in terms of standard features, maintenance cost and reliability.

Enjoy -
  • milleniabasemilleniabase Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone else hear a strange noise coming from "under the car" while accelerating? It's not too loud but noticable if you're next to a wall or a fence. Is it normal?
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I was just reading the newspaper...the dealership I got my 99 Millenia from is advertising new 2000 Millenia S's at $23,157!! I can't believe how much they have slashed the prices. For what I paid last year I could have had an S!!! I feel really sorry for the people that paid $38,000 a few years back.
  • toddster1toddster1 Member Posts: 18
    The new Motor Trend mentions a stiffener added to the top of the shock towers. I wonder if this is a strut brace and if it fits the earlier models??
    Well, I installed the 10 piece light protector kit this weekend. The material is thicker than I thought it was going to be, about the thickness of a quarter. The installation went pretty well, if I were doing it again I would do it on a warmer day, it really is important that the material is warm and flexible when you install it. The driving lights, parking lights, and turn signals all went flawlessly. The head lights, well, at least on the 99, once you round the corner, the upper side lights have some raised writing on them and the light itself has a contoured ribbed pattern. Trying to round a corner with a film over an uneven surface is not very easy. I went ahead and cut the drivers side film into two pieces and the installation went a lot better. Since it is invisible once it is installed you can't tell. Overall I am happy with the product. I could already see quite a few pits in the lenses from this last winter. I will probably go ahead and spring for the hood film, but am going to bail out on the front mask. I am pretty confident I can install the hood kit so it looks professional, and am equally confident I would screw up the big piece covering the bumper on the mask kit.
    I see that Mazda USA is advertising its 2001 Millenia - however I still have not seen the 2001 Millenia at the dealerships as of yet, has any spoken to the salespersons to obtain actual release dates?

I have been to lazy to actually get out of my car to ask them!

Regards
  • kieltkielt Member Posts: 3
    You said the dealer is in Boston/Quincy. Is it Quirk by any chance?
  • mcnallmcnall Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Mazda Millenia that has just over 100,000 miles. At around 90,000 it started making a knocking sound. It sounds like it coming from under the car and has progressively gotten so bad that it shakes the whole car. I have taken it to my mechanic three times and he kept saying it was my CV axle. That did not fix the problem. The strangest thing is that it only does it sometimes. It seems especially bad when the car is cold and is loudest when I am accelerating. I took it to another mechanic who thinks it is my transmission. My car also seems to have a problem shifting gears. It seems like it shifts hard and at unusual times. I am afraid I have a serious engine problem and am wondering if any other owners have had this strange knocking problem or knows what it may be.
  • crankkycrankky Member Posts: 45
    With my '98 Millenia (2.5) I notice some throttle lag or delay when accelerating from a stop. There is maybe a half second delay between the time I step on the gas to when the car begins to accelerate smoothly. Almost like it bogs down for a bit. Is this really common?

Also, the gas pedal seems "sticky". Or it feels
    like I must put a little extra pressure on the
    pedal to get it to go, almost like there's a stiff
    spring under the pedal. I know it's not a great
    comparison, buy my wifes Windstar van has a very
    different, and I must say a better feel. Much
    easier to depress the pedal.

Any suggestions on how to explain or remedy these
    problems?

Thanks again!
    I can't relate to the problem in which you're describing the gas pedal as having a "sticky" feel. However, I can relate to the Millenia as being somewhat slow off the line/delayed throttle response (although I notice this as being somewhat situational) and I have the S model.

If my memory serves me right, what you are describing is very common with Millenias, regardless of which model it may be. I personally think it's a design flaw and really isn't going to be remedied at a reasonable cost or even at all.
  • lowellglowellg Member Posts: 1
    I have been thinking about buying a used Millenia because of the great deal you can get on such a nice car. I would like some thoughts about the reliability of the S model as opposed to the base. Is the Miller engine reliable? Is it more expensive to have worked on? Will an average mechanic know how to work on the Miller engine? I am considering a 95 S with 89,000 miles for 9500 or a 95 base with 95,000 miles for 8200. What are your ideas of which is the better deal? Thanks!
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    well, as an owner of a 95 S (94 1/2)myself, let me say this:

S:
    will be more expensive to work on overall period..the timing belt for your 120k service(or every 60K) will run you around 600-700 easy. shop around though dealer prices vary widely! ten you have the platinum plugs..everything is not easy to get to, very compact engine. however you will be rewarded hands down with the S vs base. you need to drive both and compare. the big diff is the engine of course, and a few other goodies. i have everything: traction control, 60disc cd,sunroof, bought aftermarket polished alum wheels and have the gold pkg(full on grille) my color is Merlot Mica. the 95/96 still had real wood, and the cubby hole on rear deck.

I have no problems with engine. just make sure you change oil religiously( at least every 5K) put in BG fuel inj cleaner every 30k.
    get a thourough inspection before you buy.

Milleniaman1 - I remember you had a nice comparison list from the various changes from 95 and on.
    If I get a chance next week...I'll put that list back together and give it a spot on my website.
  • jfb7jfb7 Member Posts: 11
    In my last post, I had spoken about the shoddy treatment I received from the salesman at my local Mazda dealership where I went to test drive a gorgeous black 1998 S, fully loaded with 18,000 miles on it. I had pretty much written off doing business with him and then he calls me today at home. His best deal is that he will sell me the car for $20K (down $500. from 2 weeks ago) which includes total detailing inside and out - including touching up a few chips in the paint and the anti-theft etching in the windshield. I went to Edmunds used vehicle calculator and, according to them, I'm really getting a great deal. I really do love the car. It handles great at highway speeds and the black w/ ivory leather combo is as luxurious as anything out there. So whaddya think, should I go for it? I need a push one way or the other and I really value all your opinions! Thanks, again!!! John
    I had been searching for a K&N filter for my 99S Millenia without any luck. I even emailed K&N directly and they told me they do not make a filter for the 98 and later. I ended up buying the filter for the 97S at performanceproducts.com. It fit perfectly.
    Any notable improvements?
    20 is a great deal for only 18k miles!! does it have the cd changer in trunk? if so, make surthe "magazine" is included. does ihave the four-seasons pkg(w/ dual htd seats)? if not drop the price a bit. did you do a vehicle history search on the vin no.???

k&n air filter: i have a 95 s and installed the filter. i do see a bit increase in hp, gas mileage---hmmm not really, have not noticed a real improvement - maybe iis due to i drive faster now!!!!
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Jfb, $20K is not bad for a '98 Mill S with only 18K miles. Liek mantag said, do a vehicle history check from like carfax, make sure it's it has a clean history. If you're planning to fianance the car, stay away from the dealers, get your own financing from other banks/credit unions. Car dealership/salesman/their manager is only going to try to rip you off with financing.

Good Luck
    Has anyone had a chance to see the 2001 Millenia on at the local dealerships yet?
    sorry...i wrote that link wrong
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte054i/mazda.html
    Maybe it is just whishfull thinking but it feels a little faster to me. I haven't had it in long enought to check gas milage. The engine is a little louder under full throttle and the supercharger whine is a little louder. I like it. The filter was 44 delivered to my door and the pep boys replacement paper element was 18. So in the long run I will be ahead.
  • helios3helios3 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading the excellent discussions here, and have just found a new 2000 S for under $26K before TTL.....basically Invoice less $3K.... looks like a good price, and worth taking. Any thoughts from the experts out there? Are there better deals to be had on last year's model?
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Milleniabase, I just wanted to check with you and see if you are still satisfied with the Light bulbs (hyper xenon) that you bough of ebay, do they still perform well?, any problems at all?, would you let us know.
    25k is a killer price! Does it have the four seasons pkg? if not see if they will lower more. i would imagine these incentives apply to dealer stock only. i saw a 2000 base for 18.5 again which is a great price. they had a loaded 626 for 18!!!
    I had a first hand expierence with a 2001 Millenia (Non S) yesterday evening. As far as interior refinements go, it really hasnt been improved much from the 2000 model, I wont go into great details, because I am quite certain that many of you have already viewed the 2001 model's feature list. But as I was saying, the improvements really cant warrant a good reason as to why a consumer should purchase a 2001 model at MSRP over a left over 2000 model at a great discount.

Some of the interior improvements and for more praticality, but do not warrant a price of or near MSRP. The front and rear fascia changes are really not to my liking now that I have physically seen it. In all honesty it has a ring of cheapness to it; and so do many of the added interior features. Again, just my opinion!

I really cant comment to coherently on the suspension improvements issue, because I was driving a 2001 Base Model Millenia, with 16" wheels,. and comparing an S and Non-S Millenia really isn't to fair.

By the way, I willing be selling my 2000 Millenia S in for a IS300 somtime next month, and will be selling my HID Kit, if anyone is interested in it. Simply respond to this message and leave me some contact info. Thus far, I have used approximately... 400 hours of lighting time on my Xenon-Bulbs. If anyone is interested let me know!
    After about a week of using 9006 in the headlights i went ahead and bought a H3 fog lights(EUROLITE). They were a lot brighter than stock light although not any bluer. In about a week the driver side went out(headlight&fog). Have not had time to look what is wrong yet. The passenger side lights all work, plus the drivers parking light works. Anyone knows what it might be?
    How about your driver side hi beam is it working or is it out as well?
  • tnmgtnmg Member Posts: 2
    How in the world did you pick up a 20000 Millenia for 18495?? All the info I found showed a rebate and dealer incentive of $3500. Taking that off invoice (23,222 + 480 dest) all I get is $20202. Let me know please, I'm jonesing for one bad! And if I can find one for $18495, I'll be driving one before the weekends out.
    I got a couple of concerns on my 99 S , I don't drive my car much, some times it sets for a couple of weeks at a time before it gets driven a gain, but when I start it up after it sets for that long, I see a cloud of white smoke comes out of the tail pipes all at once then it disappears, I talked to the service manager and he said that this is normal for a lot of cars specially the ones with turbo or supercharger as the sudden air in the pips will blow all that moister that got built up in the catalytic converter and the muffler and thats why we see the white cloud of smoke. he did ask me to keep an eye on all the fluids in the car, well, I did and all looks normal, nothing is low as of yet. Is that normal

Also my second concern is that when the car first starts up, I hear a ticking noise for approx. 15 seconds then it disappears, and the service manager told me this is normal too, as the injector opens up a lot wider when the car first gets started up.
    I remember seeing something in the millenia book that came with my car that this was normal for the 2.5 engine but did not say anything on the miller cycle engine.

I just want to ask you all if any has experienced any of the above concerns, or tell me if the service manger might be telling me the wrong information. so what do you all think?

regards
    Marak the high beams work on both sides
    Milleniabase, thats some good news then, what I would do first is check the harnesses for melt down (or black carbon build up on the terminal), if all looks OK, then I would swap on of the left lights (left low beam or the fog light) with one of the old bulb to determine for sure if its the light bulb problem. if it works then thats good news, let me know what you find out.
    let everyone know that I am selling my High Intensity Discharge(HID)Light Kit that was installed on my 2000 Millenia S - performance is phenomenal,. and can not be obtained from the usage of high wattage 9006 Bulbs,. regardless of the technology that the manufacture claims to be using to surpass standard performance of these bulbs.

This kit is composed of Philips Ballasts and Philips D2R Xenon Bulbs. This HID Kit is extremely easy to install and does not require any cutting or modifications to your Millenia's factory wiring system. I have currently used approximatley 400hrs of lighting thus far.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this kit, simply leave me some contact information.

Regards,
    I went by the one of the dealerships today, we still have no 2001 Millenias in Atlanta. I can't wait to see one!
    Hmm.... It's odd that the Mazda Dealerships in ATL doent have any 2001 Millenia out yet. According to the salesperson I dealt with, he told me that all 2001 Millenias should will undergoe widespread distribution to the dealerships, within days of each other.

As you probably already read, I wasnt to impressed with the 2001 Millenia's interior improvements,. vs. the 2000 Millenias,. from the dollar to dollar standpoint. But again, that just my thoughts,. you may fine it a little more refined and worthwhile. I think the 2001 refinements should have been done to the 2000 model Millenias -

Regards,
    Does anyone know what the book value for the 2000 Millenia is? I can not locate any pricing guides for them,. however, non-mazda dealerships claim that they already have a pricing guide for them!

Any info, that anyone may have on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
    The dealership I went to told me that the 2001 Millenias were in Jacksonville and that they didn't know when they would arrive. I haven't taken the time to drive by any of the other dozen Mazda dealerships in Atl to see if they have any.
  • smile4girlssmile4girls Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1995 millenia S 6 months ago. Soon after I bought it I noticed the transmission would "slip" very smoothly out of overdrive on the highway. It is much smoother than when pressing the hold button on the shifter. I brought it into the dealer and they said that is was a vacuum leak and charged me $155 to fix it. I got it back and it has the same slipping problem and it added an intermittent 1st to 2nd gear shift jerk. My fiancee described it as feeling like someone was hitting up from the rear. I brought it back to the dealer and he said it was the tachometer and charged me $601 to replace it. I am having the same problem as before. Unfortunately, the jerky shift as well as the slipping transmission are intermittent problems and never seem to occur when the car it in the hands of the technician. Does anyone have any advice other than getting rid of the car?
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    I just bought my 95 millenia S a year ago, and so far the only part I've replaced is the radiator (72K miles). There was a crack on the side of the radiator (which is plastic), and the coolants just gushes out like water fall. However, after I replace the radiator for $400, so far so good. I love this car, the power, the style, the way that the interior is lay out, especially love the "JOG" dials on the BOSE stereo. Overall, a great car to drive and own!
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    Hey Cabral, please email me how much you're selling for your HID kit. My address is speedchaser@hotmail.com THANK YOU!
  • simile007simile007 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 95 Millenia S about a month ago. (90k miles).

1. The car is in great condition except I too am worried about exhaust coming out of the tailpipe when I start the car. sometimes exhaust is even visible when I press the accelerator. As for the clicking noise, I hear a noise like that when I press the accelerator sometimes.

The first Mazda guy I took it to suggested rebuilding the engine. I thought this was a whack decision so I took it to another Mazda dealership shop. They suggested that it was related to the supercharger.

I did put in some yellow stuff called "No Smoke" I bought. It has significantly curbed the smoking while driving problem but there is still smoke at ignition.

If anyone knows what this is related to, please let me know. Thanks.

2. Also, can someone suggest how to go about upgrading my lights to the Xenon ones. Do I need two pairs so that I can have xenon high beams as well? what about fog lights?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
  • dunkindogdunkindog Member Posts: 1
    I have just returned from my dealer in St.Louis Park, Minnesota. I bought a brand new Premium(not s)/ 4 season pkg for $21,999 the list was $28,565. Beautiful car!!!!
  • ae86ae86 Member Posts: 6
    hi everyone

i live in vancouver, canada and purhased a 2000 millenia S for $21k USD. excluding tax... i think i got a pretty good deal... personally, i dislike the front for the 01 model

i'm just wondering if the K & N cone air filter fits in my car or not...
    thx
    The K&N drop-in air filter for previous year Millenia's (S) will fit a '00 Millenia S.