Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I have found over 46 years of owning many cars that the only reason to take a car to the dealer is in the event of a recall or other free repairs. There are plenty of certified machanics working in independent shops for far less than a dealer charges for the same work.

Anyone calling himself a mechanic, that can't do all the maintenance and repairs on a KLZE engine better stick to working on bicycles. Changing the timing belt and or water pump on a KLZE (2.5L) would require no more knowledge or effort than any other transverse V6 engine, including a Toyota. The spark plugs and wires are downright simple to replace by anyone that has any mechanical ability at all. The engine in my '01 P is far more accessible than my last two V6's, a '90 TBird and that trouble prone '95 Olds 88 I mentioned.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Interesting, I was going to recommend to him the Millenia S because of the power, and excellent gas mileage. I've seen a few '96s with only maybe 65-75K on them. Is the miller cycle still a risk with that kind of miles? Or does mileage like that for an 8 year old car mean it probably already has had problems? I think the 2.5L is kind of whimpy, I would probably lead towards recommending an old I30 over that...
    Quote: "I think the 2.5L is kind of whimpy"

This has been suggested before, and everyone has their "needs" (not quoting you). The 2.5 is in no way wimpy, unless you have a "need" for excess power. It takes a tiny fraction of 170 HP to propel a 3400 pound car. The only "need" for more power than the 2.5 has is ego gratification. I have about 15000 miles on mine, and never have I "needed" more power under any condition. If I were inclined to run in stop light Gran-Prix races, maybe I could understand the "need" for 0 to 60 in less than 8.5 seconds in a family car. Under all but racing conditions, the MMP is a fine performer. I have had some "wimpy" cars, but this is not one of them. Perhaps, just as in the '70's horsepower war (musclecars), the perception of decent performance is being lost when compared to excess.
  • heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    Lexusguy, this car is your your brother's daughter, right? I am assuming she is a younger driver (why else would he buy his daughter a car?). She will be just fine with the 170, trust me. I cant say for sure if the mpg on the supercharged engine is more or less than the 2.5, but I remember some past posts saying that in warmer weather the engine does not seem as repsonsive than when it is cold. Also, the S engine requires premium gas, while the 2.5 requires regular. May not seem like much, but gas is up around 2 bucks now, even more on premium. Finding a mechanic to work on the Miller Cycle may prove to be a task. From what I read here, alot of mechanics just shake their head when they see one of these. The power of the 2.5 is just fine. You wont be squealing the tires, but it does the job. The only time it is "slow" is off the line. Acceleration to pass or merge is great, the MM really takes off at higher speeds. Hope this helps.
    The other reason I liked the S was that it seemed to come with everything standard, the alloys, leather, Bose stereo, etc. Finding all of that on a regular 2.5 car seems to be hard. Also, the S does get better mileage, though its a small difference. He would most likely take it to the Mazda dealer in town, so I dont think finding a qualified mechanic would be a problem.

I suppose my own impressions of the Millenia engines comes from when I checked out one for a friend a few years ago. She just knew she wanted "something in the 30s" and was intimidated by the number of choices, so I went along for the test drives. We tried both the NA and the S cars, and It seemed to me like the 2.5 was kind of meager for a 6, it felt like the Accord 4cyl. She ended up with an '02 Acura TL.
    You are right that the 170HP 2.5L MMP is down on power as compared to a 3.2L TL, which is a wonderful car. But paying $8000 to $10000 or so less, goes a long way toward soothing that power disadvantage. It is especially at a disadvantage powerwise compared to a 3L, or now 3.5L Maxima. I haven't driven a TL, but it still makes a very favorable impression on me. For my taste, the Maximas I drove the weekend I bought my MM rode like Army tanks while the MM drove very nicely yet was firm rather than float a boat wallowing. I also drove others, and except for the more power some seem to need, I was highly impressed in every way by the MMP, especially styling and overall fit and finish. I was afraid of the complication of a supercharger, having drag raced as an errant youth, so I shied away to the other side of the lot from the MMS.

My point is not that the MMP does not have less power than those cars. Rather that it is not wimpy in normal driving. It was stated above that it is slow off the line, and compared to those two it is. But compared to say a Viper, those two might be called wimps. It is a matter of perspective, and from the perspective of normal street use the MMP is a fine all around performer. Just not a hot rod so to speak. It is an outstanding highway cruiser, and that initial impression of a fine car at a super bargain basement price has endured for almost 15000 miles. I would make the same choice today if I was choosing among the cars I tested in September of 2001. Absolutely no regrets.
    Hmm, I dont really remember being bothered by the I30 driving experience, but that was awhile ago. I suggested a J30, which is as cheap as a MM, to him but she didnt want RWD, (it gets snowy up here) and its odd-ball styling leads to a tiny trunk, no bigger than my XKRs. I'll check out the 2.5 car again. Thanks.
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    My last car was a Infiniti J30 and I drove that for 5 years before getting a awesome deal on a close out 02 L or P or whatever you guys call them. The J30 had a 3 liter with 210 horsepower and from the seat of my pants I can not tell the difference driving the 2.5 even from the line. As for the non S models not coming loaded, the only option my car had was the self dimming mirror and you know it has alloys, leather and granted a non Bose stereo but again it sounds just a good as the Bose that was in my J30, maybe just not as loud but as I get older I should be trying to preserve my hearing. I now have 23,000 and the only thing the car needs is oil changes and tire rotations. I plan on having this car for the next ten years. Good luck helping your friend get a car, but don't blow off the 2.5

Scott
  • freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    Put 4 adults in a car with the 2.5L and you will understand the "...kind of whimpy" statement.
  • mazdafreakmazdafreak Member Posts: 27
    Just purchased mine w/42,000 miles.Really in mint condition.However i'm concerned about the fact that when i start it in the morning a little bit of white/blue smoke puffs out of the exhaust for
    a few seconds only. Just had an oil change done on it! Maybe it was overfilled? i don't know? Maybe we're dealing with something more serious?
    Apart from that this car is a beauty to look at and to drive.
    All suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.
  • cappettacappetta Member Posts: 7
    I am going to get the 60K service done now because I do not know the previous work done to the car; I did get a solid quote for the timing belt and tensioner replaced for $350 w/ a 1 yr warrenty. I do not think that is too bad. I will admit that the cost of parts is not that cheap, yet on the other hand they are not extremely expensive. I am doing all of this extra work to the car to maintain its current condition. As with anything, it requires much care to keep in top shape. I will say that the car is very nice and I am happy with it, even after putting $1200 into it within 3 weeks. I probably sound very stupid but if you drove my car, you would do the same.
    Question:

Quote mazdafreak: "However i'm concerned about the fact that when i start it in the morning a little bit of white/blue smoke puffs out of the exhaust for a few seconds only."

Probable answer:

Quote: "#3039 tomekk Apr 28, 2004 (4:12 pm)
    BTW, supercharger leaks tend to be internal anyway."

---------------------------------------------

From what I have over the years, that is the most likely cause of your white/blue smoke. It isn't necessarily a major problem, but if it becomes one, it is very expensive. Maybe some "S" owners will jump in here with more information.
    I just got a 96 about 3 weeks ago. I have invested about $1200 into it already. To me this is not a bad thing. My car runs SMOOTH and I want to take care of it. It has 107K on it. I did not know the previous work done to the car, so I picked it up at the 60K services. The only reason why is because the kid that traded this car in, cut the springs to lower the height. This killed the shocks. I replaced all of the springs and shocks for about 850. The parts for the mazda millenia are somewhat costly, not crazy expensive. Some of the parts are copyrighted by mazda, which makes them available through only mazda (ie:struts).
    I have read about the O2 sensors continously expiring and causing the engine light to come on. I think that if the car seems to ride smooth and the engine sounds good with minimal leaks--go for it. I love mine.
    Thanks it is the 2.5L; I will check those out. I think it is a gasket leak, very minor leak. I will have it looked at in the near future.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    " a little bit of white/blue smoke puffs out of the exhaust for a few seconds only." - that's OK on S engine, just watch your oil consumption and change it every 3K miles - if you don't, then contaminants in the oil will eat away supercharger seals and you'll have a real problem ... that's per my service advisor.
    So, again, puff at start-up is normal for lysholm superchargers and nothing to worry about.

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind telling us?

Tomek ('01 S with 40K miles)
    Thanks! Lets wait and see if other owners could help!
    O.K. WILL KEEP YOUR ADVISE IN MIND! I LIVE IN CANADA!
    SO IF I CONVERT CDN$ INTO U$ I WOULD HAVE PAID 9500.00$
    STILL GUARANTEED 1 YEAR ON POWERTRAIN.
  • cotton88cotton88 Member Posts: 4
    Just a quick question for the group- I bought a 2002 Mazda Millenia new back in Sept. 2002- have 4,000 miles on it- received a notice from the local dealer that I had passed the warranty check up mileage point (6,000 miles) and I should contact the dealere ASAP to schedule a mandatory inspection- or I could jeopardize the warranty coverage. Is anyone aware of this mandatory warranty check up after 6,000 miles- or any mandatory warranty check up at all?

Thanking you in advnace
    Unless Mazda changed the terms of the warranty, there is no dealer required warranty service. My 2001 Owner Manual specifically states that the service need not be done by the dealer, and may be done by the owner. I have simply manitained mine myself following the charts in the Owner Manual, and feel safe that my warranty is in no way violated. But I do keep all receipts and fill out the boxtop that accompanies new oil filters. I keep all those items in a "baggie" in the glove compartment along with the manual.

The dealer I bought from, as well as other solicitors have sent me many letters trying to convince me that I "must" do this or that. But at least in my case these have been nothing but sales pitches.

Go to http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayMyMazdaHome.action and answer a few questions to register. This is the official Mazda site and should give you any information you need.
  • rpdrpdrpdrpd Member Posts: 36
    Time for my first oil change on my 2001 MMS. I have put 4000 miles on it since buying it in January. Car now has 9000 miles total. Since the Mazda dealer is out of the way for me, I am taking the car to a Honda dealer around the corner from my office.

I read the manual about using 5W-30 based on NJ temperatures the next few months. I am assuming Honda service can figure out what oil filter the Miller engine needs. But I would like to hear from you about the brand of oil, whether I should use synthetic oil, and if 5w-30 is the right choice. The Honda service guy said he has "Honda oil", which apparently is 5W-20. But he said he can get 5W-30 if thats what it takes.

Or do I bag the Honda dealer and go to Jiffy-Lube.
    I'm thinking of flushing down all fluids (Transmission, Engine, Axle) and replace them with the appropriate synthetic Lubricants.
    I've done it in the past on other with great
    results of longevity. What do you guys think about it?
  • scgamecockscgamecock Member Posts: 7
    Need a little help. Considering a used Millenia and can't decide if I want a 1999-2000 or a 2001-2002 model. Please provide some pros and cons of each. Thanks!
    I leased a 97 Millenia base for 2 years, and I recently bought a 2001 MMS with 5000 miles. I have always like the Millenia and wanted to get another one when the time came.

I think the 01-02 styling changes greatly enhanced the car. The interior color schemes, the electroluminescent dash, the in-dash 6 cd player, the cycling on and off of the heated seats, the center console and cupholders, the headlight and hood designs, the taillamps, the suspension and handling changes...all of that I think are great improvements. I don't remember my 97 driving and handling to the high degree and fun factor as my 01, but that could be selective memory.

Either way, though, I think the Millenia is the best car for the price in its class, and even better than cars above its class. I didn't really give much thought to the 01-02 changes until I actually saw and drove the 01. The decision for the 01-02 was made at that moment.
    "For 2001, Mazda made some changes to the script. Number one on the list was freshened exterior styling that included more shapely fenders and bumpers, a new hood and grille and updated headlights and taillights. In addition to the more aggressive exterior design, the Millenia got a 35 percent increase in structural rigidity for better handling and ride quality. Minor changes to the interior include a power lumbar support driver seat, leather-wrapped shift knob and slick red and white Optitron gauges."

Most of the changes are cosmetic and fairly small. Though the new gauges mimic Lexus' electro-luminescent style and look very nice. The steering wheel got stereo controls, and the radio head unit was changed (for the third time)with a larger volume knob and the return of a tuning knob, that sort of looks like the original 95-96 head unit (which I always thought was better than the 97-00 head unit. Thats really about it. The Millenia was a strong competitor in '95 when it was introduced, but by '01, it had become outdated. The power figures didnt change, and Infinti, Acura, and Lexus surpassed the Millenia S' 210hp and 210lb\ft of torque. The S is also not that quick, Edmunds '01 test put it at around 8 seconds 0-60, which is just average. I would suggest cross shoping an Acura TL, which has more features, is sportier, and has more power. (The Type-S has A LOT more power). Infinti's I30\I35 is less sporty than the Acura, and is probably a closer match to the Millenia (and shares its less than stellar residual value) but also has more power, especially with the 3.5L engine for '02, and is generally roomier.
    Scgamecock, if you follow lexusguy's advice and cross-shop, please let us know about all the prices you come across. I bought my 2001 MMS with 5000 miles (not a typo)in January for $17,000 from a Mazda dealer. The Infiniti dealer down the street had a 2000 I30t with 45,000 miles and would not budge off of $19,800. Both cars were certified pre-owned cars.

I will give you that I wish the MMS had memory seats, autodimming mirror, auto-on headlights, an indicator light for the fog lights, and maybe even more horsepower. But I am amazed at the prices for used I30's and TL's. I do like the Millenia's profile, the way it looks overall, and that they are not everywhere on the road.
    That dealer was trying to rip you off. I've seen several '01 I30s around here, one with 29K miles, for $15,9.
  • scgamecockscgamecock Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the southeast so I hope you're fairly close by.
    Lexusguy, I checked around a few Infiniti dealers in my area (NJ) and the price for the I30's were about the same, very high teens for an 00. I never saw an 01 with that kind of mileage for $15.9. Anyway, I am glad I stumbled upon my MMS. I am very happy with it.
    Hi Guys! Guess what!
    Just got back from the nearby dealership and unfortunately they had bad news for me.
    The Supercharger has to be replaced (re: Blue/White smoke coming out of the exhaust when cold) of course, the supercharger isn't under warranty anymore 3years/40k miles.This is gonna cost around 2500.00$.
    I'm really pissed off...Unbeleivable.
    Oh well! still love the car. just as my wife:)
  • poppiepoppie Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a 95 Millenia with 127000 miles on it. The seller says that it is a very reliable car and that the car is in good condition.

Just wanted to see what anyone thinks and any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Supercharged or not?

Read the last page or so for why I ask.
  • poppiepoppie Member Posts: 9
    I did read the last page, and that is why I did not want a Supercharged.

That was not the first time that I heard about that. I was told that the S engine could get fairly expensive if something went wrong with it.

Thanks!
  • dmoyerdmoyer Member Posts: 27
    I've had a garaged 95L with the standard and underpowered 2.5L V6 since early 96, now I have 98K. I'm satisfied. Can you see the maintenance records for this car? Very important, because the biggest complaints have been costly to some owners. Most frustrating for some but not me has been unpredictable electrical failures that resulted in a dead car. I replaced spark plug wires at 30K, value cover caskets at 35K and a timing belt and other belts at 90K. Suspension feels soft so maybe shocks are due. Otherwise the car still looks good, runs well and has been dependable.
    Well I have noticed a very minor oil leak and in the morning I get an little puff of smoke. When I changed all of the wspark plugs some were dry and some had oil on them. I dont think that is good. One of my more mechanically inclined friends said he thought I might have a valve cover gasket leak. Can anyone help me? How much you think its going to cost? and How long should I wait to have this done? Any input would be appreciated.
    A valve cover gasket leak will not result in oil on spark plugs, nor smoke from the exhaust. It will result in some oil loss and maybe a spot on the garage floor. But valve STEM seals will allow oil into the combustion chamber and cause the smoke and spark plug oil contamination. So might a head gasket leak as well as a couple of other things.

If it it minor I would leave the engine alone except to seal up external leaks, which new valve cover or timing belt cover gaskets might solve.

All high milage engines are going to have minor leaks that aren't important to repair unless you can't stand looking at the oil on the engine or floor. Fouled plugs are another situation and can cause the car to run poorly.
    The timing belt cover is the black plastic cover on the alternator side of the engine right? How long do you think I should let it go before I get it looked at? How expensive do you think could the valve stem seals get and you think that could be done by a novice? Thanks fwatson
    Oh yea is there anyway to distinguish between the 2 without ripping the engine apart?
    Mazdafreak,
    your dealer could be taking you for a ride. I think supercharger replacement is $5K to 8K from what I've heard before - go get second opinion!!! OTH maybe this is why your car was sold in the first place...
    Is the engine using significant amount of oil? Can you pass emissions inspection? Really, do some homework before you let them do it.
    Trust but verify!
    Dear tomekk,
    Actually the repair estimation will run to approx. cdn$ 6k.
    The engine isn't using a great amount of oil. Being checked every 2nd.
    day.The catalytic converter was just replaced. The car has been inspected by a governemental inspection center. I'm sure they checked for emissions.
    You're right i will get a second opinion.
    On the other hand i was able to purchase an extended warranty for 36m months / 60k km. In any case i won't be paying for any of the repairs.
    Thanks!
    Not a Lysolm, but the Eaton supercharger on my XKR went. Would've been $6,000, if not for that it was warranty covered.

The NY\NJ area is not a particularly good place to buy used cars, as far as prices are concerned. A trip down to PA could save you $2,000.
  • nzigmanzigma Member Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem in winter, but could not guage the colour of the smoke emanating from the exhaust...could be blue/white. The smoke persisted for a while, especially during accleration from 0. Is this the same problem. My car is a MM S Nov 01, so hopefully have the 3 yr warranty in place. Any thoughts here ???
  • daskorpiondaskorpion Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys....my wife just blew my 96 Millenia engine due to a radiator leak and I am having headaches trying to find a replacement engine. Also whats the difference between the Japanese KJ engine for the Millenia S....how different is that from the US version. Any difference in HP or its all the same 210HP. Does anyone know where I can get a used Millenia S engine a little cheaper...with a little less miles because all the used places I have called all say their engines have only between 30K to 65K miles on them which I find hard to believe.....I hope someone will get to me about this because I love my Millenia and wouldn't want to get rid of it that easily.
    What it would cost you to buy an unknown used engine and have it installed, is probably more than it would cost you to move up a couple of years by buying a newer used MMS.

I haven't checked KBB, but my guess is that your car is not worth more than $4000, and I would bet it would cost more than that to replace the engine.

Good luck, but unless that particular car is dear to you, I think you are taking the wrong path by replacing the engine.
    Will it be possible to have the head gaskets and stuff replaced instead....or is there another option other than buying a newer MMS. Thanks for getting back to me that quick I really appreciate it.
    fwatson is probably right, it would most likely be cheaper to just get another '96
    That suggests an engine blown from overheating. There are so many serious problems, including cracked block or head, that it would probably be throwing good money at a bad situation. Unless you can get a certified mechanic to guarantee you there is no permanent damage to the engine, I would not try replacing minor parts.
    Hey like you suggested..I might as well start looking for another Millenia S then..maybe an 01, 02 or 99 will do just got to check on how much they are going for now...thanks for your good words Fwatson Keep it up.

DaSkorpion...!!!
    If you're going to get a newer car, I would suggest getting a Millenia post refresher, as at least there you get the benefits of the update. Still, at '01, the Millenia S was not nearly as "ahead of its time" as it was in '95. I would suggest taking a serious look at the competition from Acura and Infiniti. The Millenia never got the benefits of NAV systems, 5-speed automatics, Xenons, etc, and is significantly down on power compared to the 255hp I35 and 260hp Acura TL Type-S
    I'd be careful with one of those - Honda had problems with transmissions and there are a lot of TLs with rebuilt trannys. Original owner had transmission warranty extended to 100K miles, but I'm not sure if it can be transferred. I know this from a friend at work who was stranded in a parking lot (within walking distance to Acura dealer, so he lucked out!) with an undrivable TL.
    Any idea as to how many TL's were afflicted with this problem? I've heard the transmission issue discussed in several forums on this board, but it is not mentioned in anything like CR or JD power