Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• silversilver Member Posts: 10
    I also have the wheel problem, I don't know if you saw my recent posting, I saw yours and thought I would reply. I have had two tires ruined because of the tires leaking from the bead breaking and just had it happen again. There was a tech bulletin #020001R dated 8/14/01 on subject regarding 176 inch chrome wheels corroding. I have emailed Mazda and waiting for reply. Also I think this is a safety hazard and really think they should be looking at a recall as there have been plenty reports of this
    Tomek,
    You may have something there, I now have Firestone tires on, I changed some time ago because of the Dunlop tire price, there may be a thicker wall on these. I don't remember, were your rims okay or are they breaking up also. I was wondering about the tires if that may cure the problem also.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I never had any rims problems, air leaks, or anything like that. I know these Dunlops are pretty sturdy - they did take some good hits over potholes (I was sure a couple of times this winter I must have damaged something), but no problem.
    I forget where I read about those reinforced side walls on SP series... but I know it was a consideration for me when getting new tires.
    I paid something like $104 per tire a couple of years ago (plus S&H).
    Oh, and I run them 36PSI front, 34PSI rear - if you underinflate, tires will heat more and you could have them come off the rim a little (lose seal? - I'm not sure exactly, but you get the picture). I also adjust pressure once a quarter (just making sure it stays 36/34 with changing outside temperature - i.e. if you're running 36PSI in the summer at 90 degrees outside, it'll be 29PSI at 20F - rule of thumb: 10F ~ 1PSI). Hope this helps -
    Tomek
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Quote Tomekk: "What tires are you running?"

I reported a few months ago that on my '01P the original tires were worn out and had to be replaced at 16000 miles. I am a very conservative driver and this is horrible tire milage. With that I crossed Michelin entirely off my list of replacement choices. As I NEVER drive in excess of 80 on the interstate I found running V rated tires to be rather absurd for my use.

The replacement tires I chose after weeks of research and studying the situation are 91H rated Goodyear Assurance Comfortred. I used a replacement size of P205-60R16 (same diameter) instead of the OEM size of P215-55R16 on the Michelin MXV4s that came on it. The GoodYears are very black with a very nice pattern on the sidewalls and look great on the car. They are far quieter and smoother on all the roads here in Florida, but on an emergency trip to northern Iowa in early December they did have a whine on some of those Illinois and Iowa roads that look like Florida roads do before the final blacktop is put down. I have seen no sacrifice in handling with the GoodYears and am very happy with this choice.

Like Tomekk I run them much harder than the door sticker calls for, 35 front and 33 rear (OEM 31 front 29 rear). I have the silver painted alloy wheels which have had no problem with any corrosion, but a very small paint crack appeared on one rear wheel which I had checked to make sure it was not the wheel. The chrome wheels were subject to either a TSB or recall, I don't recall which, years ago.

The week in that Iowa crud did corrode the finish on all 4 brake calipers much to my chagrin, but otherwise no problem with the road salt.

I have to wonder why any of you even consider replacement wheels from the Mazda dealer at their outrageous prices when you can get a full set of very nice chrome aftermarket wheels for far less than the price of one OEM.
    >> 16000 miles
    My first set of Dunlops lasted 45K miles

>> why any of you even consider replacement wheels from the Mazda dealer
    Right, I bought the tires from Tirerack at $104/per, dealer wanted something like $174 (installation not included) - unbelievable. Same thing with tires for my previous car, Passat GLX.

I don't have chrome wheels, they are painted (or polished) alloys. Chromes were - I think - only on the Millenium Edition Millenia.

Tomek
    Tomek, the rims on my Millenia S are chrome rims original and 17" rims, the manual says to run them 34 front and 31 rear which I always have done. I am no auto geek, if I can get by with replacement rims from an auto parts store that would be okay, just doesn't seem they would be the quality, as long as they are as safe as the originals I guess they would be okay. The tire pressure I could boost up and it may also set the beads on the rims better if I did this, I have the backs at 38 right now cause the tire shop they may set better if I ran them a couple of days at a higher pressure. Make sense?
  • sammygirlsammygirl Member Posts: 1
    ALRIGHT I KNOW FOR SURE THAT IT IS NOT A BRAKE PAD, I HAVE A 97 MAZDA MILLENIA AND MY CAR OCCASIONALLY DOES THE SAME THING, AND IF YOU ARE A GIRL THEY ARE GOING TO TELL YOU ANYTHING TO GET YOUR CASH!!!! MY FATHER IN LAW WORKS AT FORD AND HE TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT, IF I FIND OUT SOMETHING I'LL LET YOU KNOW. LATER
    38 psi in the back to help set the beads on the rims better? - maybe, personally I didn't know about this technique. It kind of makes sense.

I'd say if you continue having problems it is most likely because of chromed rims and you might be better off replacing them with aftermarket wheel / tire combination.
    Good luck -
    Tomek

Side note: My Passat's manual recommended 40 PSI all around if you're traveling above 160kph (100mph) with full load for extended periods of time :-) but I've never tried it.
  • 01_milly_s01_milly_s Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone replaced the tail light bulbs in their Milly? I got the 2 screws out easily, but there are 2 plastic stubs that seem to be attached to the rear tail light assembly that are a pain to release. To avoid any confusion, I'm talking about the outer tail lights, not the inner tail lights attached to the trunk lid. In advance, thanks. :)
    From all I have read, as long as you stay at or below the pressure on the tire itself you should have no problem with the tire. The problem if any would be with handling and evenness of tread wear across the tire.

I haven't bought aftermarket wheels in years, but the only feature I see that I really like on the OEM wheels on my Millenia is that the balance weights do not show on the outside. I imagine there are aftermarket wheels that will do that too. You have nothing to fear from aftermarket wheels as long as you stay with good brand names such as American Racing. Probably any wheel from Tire Rack would be fine. Even Sears has some nice aftermarket wheels and they are frequently on sale cheap. But I'd take them to a good tire shop to have them installed instead of Sears.
  • tyus442tyus442 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia. 100k miles. I am unable to retrieve my keys out of the ignition unless I remove the battery cables. The car also will just go into gear w/o pushing the brake. I have checked all the fuses in the car & under the hood. I even tried unplugging the seitch to the brake. I am still having issues with removing the key. Can anyone please help.......
  • dfolzdfolz Member Posts: 1
    Great car and few problems, but the heater is something else. It works, but only after overriding all the Automatic controls. Anyone have a similar problem or solution?
    Mine is an '02P, and I just leave the climate control on automatic at 74 degrees all the time for the most part. It takes care of itself. The only time I turn it off is on a cold morning, until the engine warms up enough to put out warm air.
  • lorriepaulsonlorriepaulson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Millenia S purchase new and well loved. Until recently I always got 20-28 miles per gallon. I took it to an oil changer quick stop for routine oil change and mentioned a slight hesitation when I stomped on it sometimes. They suggested cleaning the fuel injectors and I should have said no and taken it to my regular guy. Anyway after I let them "clean" the injectors the mileage has gone down drastically and ocasionally I smell Fuel! I have plenty of power, no hesitation, but the occasional gas smell is freeaking me out. This car has only 60K on it and it is my baby. Never had one problem with it until now. The O2 sensors have been checked, all new belts and plugs etc. Has anyone had a problem with gas mileage? Maybe its the fuel pressure regulator? I've avoided the dealer all this time but may have to go to them for diagnostic.
  • gemini618gemini618 Member Posts: 10
    I was wondering if you found a solution for getting these suade seats cleaned and back to their original texture. I have emailed Scotchgard who recommended that I not use their product because it may separate the fibers. I have gone to country/western stores who typically sell leather and suade and they have this little cube and brush to clean them. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, partly because it will take forever to clean them. I haven't found a dealer or detail shop that will touch the car because of the suade interior.

If you have found something, I'd be very interested to know. Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is no buying/selling allowed in the Forums.

I had to remove a couple of posts.
  • jmcvayjmcvay Member Posts: 2
    95 Millenia 2.5 104,000 Love the car had it for 18 mths no problems, all of a sudden it is pumping coolant out of the expansion tank overflow pipe. When i run it idleing of course up to normal temperture coolant is spurting out of the radiator cap opening. When i put the cap on it comes out of Expansion tank Pipe. Any suggestions? Oh by the way where is the Thermostat located on this vehicle?

Thanks.
  • jizilmanjizilman Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for the Head Gasket Kit. (Heads,Head Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, and Intake Manifold Gasket) Or just the Heads by themselves. Does anyone know where I can find them?
    My car overheated, and the heater hose leaked that was replaced. Would this even cause my heads to crack or warp? It would on any domestic vehicle.
    If any body could help please could I have your input?

Thanks! :cry:
  • gv1gv1 Member Posts: 1
    All - my millenia 2002 is a very reliable car except for two things:
    1. Miles Per Gallon: I have NEVER gotten more than MAYBE 23 MPG, I'm more like 20 MPG typically. I do a lot of city driving but I also do longer distances (being in austin, tx this is easy to do). i still never break 23-24 MPG. I think this is a load of bull and that mazda is falsely advertising 27 gallon on the highway.
    2. Airbag light - my airbag light constantly flashes intermittently. mechanics can't seem to figure it out.

thanks.
    We have discussed milage a number of times on this forum. If you go back and do some reading you will find that the MM is not a gas hog, but it is also no econobox. Weighing close to 3700 pounds, it has quite a bit of weight to carry around in great comfort and near luxury including automatic climate control.

My personal experience on long trips as well as being in a 5 hour traffic jam in Orlando as well as a two hour one in St Louis give these approximate results.

Flat out highway cruising gives about 27 mpg which includes mostly 80 mph all day driving on interstates. The parking lot speed traffic jams still yeilded about 20 mpg, which I thought was quite good for mostly going nowhere at about 5 to 10 mph. Overall my average is about 22 which is mostly local rural town and state highway driving in central Florida.

It appears to me that Mazda is not stretching the milage truth. All in all the milage on my 2001 MMP which has the 2.5L normally asperated engine, is about 5 mpg better than my wife's car which has a 2.4L straight 4 and is an American product. I like her '39 Ford looking hatch back just fine and it is very handy. But the MM is definitely superior to it in every way but cargo hauling.

It doesn't take a Mazda dealer to work on air bags. I'd suggest going to an auto electric shop where they actually have experts in electrical work.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 7
    Hey all. I want to say first, I really appreciate everyone responding to all the questions that people ask. Being that i just bought my car, hopefully i will be able to help on these in the future. My question today is this. My engine light is on and my gas mileage is horrible. Is the best way to find why the engine light is on by going to a AutoZone? Do they have the equipment to check the computer? Is there a chance that it is a catalytic converter? And if it is, do you need to go to the dealership to have something like this done or can you go to a normal mechanic? You can buy a new converter on ebay for about $60. So just having it put on must be time consuming and costly. I know that this car had one converter replaced. Might need the other one now. Thanks ahead of time.
    My check engine light pretty much stayed on for the first 1 1/2 years I had my 2000 Millennia Milennium Edition. The diagnostic kept reading "Misfire at the 6th cylinder." So far, I've had CO2 sensors, catalytic converter, spark plugs and a coil for the 6th cylinder and most recently a fuel injector kit. The coils were moved around when putting on the fuel injector, so then the Misfire was then at the 2nd cylinder, which indicated that the new coil I had put on was malfunctional. This has since been replaced and the check engine light has not come back on yet, however, now I smell strong gas fumes in the car and still getting about 12-15 mpg (Premium unleaded to boot!) I love the car and know it would be great fun to drive, but I'm so frustrated that I cannot really enjoy the car. I've put more money into this car in the past 1 1/2 years than I had put into fully loaded cars that I'd kept for 5 - 8 years. If you find a solution, please post it. I'm willing to do most anything.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    I have an '02 S and I get 23mpg's in town and I average 27 on the highway. My highway mileage has ranged from 25 to 31. The 31 was doing 65 mph. Doing 75 - 85 is when I had the 25. Though on trips it has averaged 27 overall.
    According to the repair manaul for the 2002's S model, since you said you are using premium unleaded, are as follow:

1. Spark plug malfunction
    2. High-tension lead malfunction
    3. Fuel injector malfunction
    4. Air suction in intake-air system (between dymanic chamber and cylinder head)
    5. Inadequate engine compression due to engine internal malfunction.
    6. Related connector or terminal malfunction
    7. Related wiring harness malfunction

These are only possible causes.
    Thanks kcm8419. I'll pass this along. I know that I've replaced the fuel injector and spark plugs, some coils, CO2 sensors, and I can't remember what all else off the top of my head. I would just love to get the problem resolved. When I tell the dealerships and various mechanics the type of gas mileage I get, they all just say "Well you have a supercharged engine" and they don't get good gas mileage. I have done lots of research on this car and the general consensus is the same type of mileage that you get. I hate when they use that "supercharged engine" excuse. Part of my problem is that even at some of the Mazda dealerships don't know a whole lot about the Miller Cycle engine.
    I thought a couple of years ago someone on this site said they were having problems. They eventually found a vaccuum hose plastic tee had broken and once they replaced that they said the car ran fine. So you might want to check for one of your vaccuum hose either being off or cracked/split. I know this could be a headache but it is worth a look.
  • richot7richot7 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 95 S with 167,000 miles. I purchased it in 98 with 62,000 miles. The car has been fair as reliability is concerned and great for performance. I have had the CEL come and go at least 8 times over the years. First it was the O2 sensor, howver when the mechanic checked the O2 sensor seperately the sensor was fine. My mechanic recommeded changing the main computer in 2001. He worked as a senior mechanic for Mazda and diagnosed that some of the main computers have a malfunction and send out codes in error. I believe that this was the problem for my car, secondary to the three oxygen sensor codes that were false. It cost me about $900. Since the change I have only had the light come on once at it was for the knock sensor about a year ago. I think this is a Mazda problem from all of the post with frequent CEL warnings. Love the car and I get 22-24 miles per gallon at 65-70 mph.
    That's pretty much exactly what I get on 01 S.
    As a side note my parents also have an '02 s and they are getting 18-19 mpg's in town. So I would have to assume that these mileages are more directly related too the driver more than anything else.

In a couple of weeks I will be taking a short road trip and get back here to update the highway mpg's.

Just wondering how many people use a fuel injection cleaner in their vehicles?
  • mike144mike144 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a vacuume hose has a pin hole in it. You'll have to check the one that is used after the engine gets hot or when the transmission is in use.
    I don't see what previous post you were answering, but there was a recall for a cable making this type of noise. It involves adjustment of the transmission shifting cable as I recall.

Also, on the S you would have a whine from the supercharger, as well as on all automatic transmissions you may have a slight "turbo whine". Mine does and it is not a problem as it is a very faint sound that is easily covered by turning on the radio.
    Thought i would let everyone know about this. My CEL light was on and i was getting horrible gas milage. I finally took it to the dealership and had it looked at. Fearing the worst, it turns out i had cracks in all my vacuum hoses. The car was running really rich because of all the air it was sucking in and thats where the bad gas milage came from. When i had the car hooked up to a computer it read that the fuel trim was bad. Turns out that the fuel trim is what reads your fuel air mixture and there was nothing wrong with it, just running rich. Cost about $350 to have fixed and with todays gas prices, well worth it. Hope this helps someone.
  • mm2001mm2001 Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I'd throw in mileage stats for my 2001 Millenia S. I keep track of each fillup, and track the mileage with the trip odometer.

I do only city driving, in a climate with long cold winters, and short hot summers. In cold weather, I average 19 mpg and can get about 250 miles on a tankful before I start seeing the low gas warning light. In summer, the average goes up to 22 mpg, and I can squeeze out 300 miles or so on a tankful. I'm spending about $60 CDN to fill up with premium these days (about $1.15 Cdn/litre)

The mileage is lower than I was expecting with this car, but the ride is smooth and the power is there when I need it. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess..
    I have a 97 S. Is changing the belts something that i can do myself or is it something where the engine has to be jacked up? Looks like it's time for new belts. Just trying to save a little $$$.
  • jazzyman26jazzyman26 Member Posts: 18
    I recently replace 2 rear o2 sensors and the check engine
    light is still on price $400.00.Now I'Ve been told that the catalytic converter need replacing.I'm going to get a second opinion because goodyear states I need two front end converter.Does this sound like I'm getting rip off.
    I'm considering a universal converter at a muffler shop which will be cheaper.Has anyone had this problem? And what is the solution.Need help
    I can't tell you if you need one or not. First, i would have someone check your on-board computer. It should usually tell you what needs to be fixed. I took mine to a muffler shop and they had the computer to plug into it. If indeed it is a converter that you need, get on ebay. You can buy the converters on there for about $60. Then have someone put them on for you. I have the dealer quote me $800 to have one put on. So that can save you a bunch of money if you actually need one replaced. Hope this helps.
  • lowbudgtlowbudgt Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 Millenia P beautiful lookin car inside and out..
    unfortunately under the hood is another problem..last yr with only 29k the transmission went and Mazda replaced it under warantee...I drove it for a week and felt something wasnt right so I brought it back and they stated the tranny was bad and they put another one in...This month I brought it in again b.c the airbag light kept blinking ( a problem which has been fixed 3 times already) and in the meantime they told me the tranny is bad again! dealer states that i got lucky that I can get it replaces since its still under a yr warentee but then goes on to say that the car is 250miles over the 12k mile limit for a tranny replacement!
    it costs about 3500 for a new transmission!! how on earth can a car go through 4 transmissions with only 41k??? what to do what to do?? :confuse:
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Learned Friends,

I just bought a 96 Millenia with the 2.5 l engine.
    The car has seen better days, but I believe it's worth fixing up. At 150k and with a few, um, cosmetic challenges, it runs well and I got it for a beater price.

However, it needs four new ball joints in front and at least the left half shaft and maybe the right as well.

Some of this I am certainly going to have done; other items I will take care of myself.

My question to you: Can you please point me towards the resources available online? Any enthusiasts group, any person's web site would be most welcome.
    Also, what about manuals? Haynes, Chilton? Is the factory manual worth it, and where does one get it?

Any and all hints will be most welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Mathias
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Did we get an answer on this one? I've got the same problem.
  • joeblack377joeblack377 Member Posts: 5
    Hi I am having problems with both my Sunroof and Steering wheel tilt. Have you found a solution for this problem? Thanks for the help if any you can provide.

Regards,
    I have a 98 millenia L, fully loaded. I am having what I figure to be electrical problems. First my Sunroof opens but does not close, I figure there is a short because I can here the motor wanting to turn over when I hit the switch but nothing happens, I literraly have to sit there for ten minutes before the sunroof closes in two inch intervals. This problem sucks. Second is the steering wheel tilt button. Once I push to put it in automatic so that it would go to the position I am comfortable with when I turn the car on, once I turn the car off it goes all the way up so as to give me room to come out of the car. But sometimes when I turn the car on it stays in the upright position until I either keep playing with the switch or unplug the battery and let the system reset itself. If any one out there has a solution to this problem please let me know. I am looking to sell my car but get these problems fixed. I would appreciate any help or advice.
    regards,

Millenia Lover 06'
    I do not know if this is the answer, but if you open your trunk and the tail light curves into it their are 2 screws that are holding the tail light on. I think on some of the Toyota's they only have a couple of screws that hold the lights in place. If you have not looked at this yet give it a try.

I will get back to the MPG's this weekend, but before I left on my trip city mileage was at 24.32 mpg's on my '02 S.
    My MPG on my trip was as follows: 29.3, 28.6 with a crosswind, 29.6, and 31.25 with the a/c running. This was doing 70 mph with the cruise control on. All driving was on the interstate and using premium unleaded gas. Gas prices were running $3.01, $3.04, and $2.89 locally at Costco. This was a round trip covering the same road so the first and last mpg's were the same stretch of interstate and the middle two were the same stretch. I was pleased with these mileages because this is the best that I have done on a trip for overall mileage. I guess it does make a difference doing a lower speed limit, posted speed limit was 75 mph. I was surprised that there was a lot of people who were doing under the posted speed limit.
  • mobile1phmobile1ph Member Posts: 6
    Im have been offered a 2001 mazda millenia S for $9800. It has 69,000 miles and a few scratches both exterior and interior. But the engine was good as far as I can see after test driving it. However, it only takes premium gas. The salesman said that I dont have to put Premium gas all the time. So First question, is he correct? wont it hurt the engine or supercharger? Finally is it a good buy all in all? and What kind of problems can i expect?

I would appreciate any advise i can get.

Thank you very much.
    mobile1ph: I have a 2000 - Millennium Edition (which has been a lemon since day 1 when I bought it 2 years ago) I was told the same thing about the premium gas and I ended up putting in lower, middle and premium grades alternatively. I just put a new fuel injector in the car along with plugs, and two new coils. I get about 15mpg on average and will only use the premium fuel now. I've heard really good things about the millennia and I've heard bad things that seem pretty consistent with is model. After nearly two years of check engine light problems that has been a mystery to every certified mechanic that I've taken it to (Mazda dealership included), It's not that fun to drive anymore when all of my money is going in the tank and constant expensive repairs - NOT to mention that the gas that goes into the tank is more than the car payment itself! good luck!!!
    I have a couple answers for you. First off, octane is also called anti-knock. It doesn't give you better gas mileage or anything like that. The rule of thumb is use whatever makes your engine not knock. I noticed knock with low grade in mine, but not mid. Second, I would stay clear of this car. Not that they are bad cars. They are great cars. They ride well, and run really well. Unless they have all the old reciepts for this car, you just don't know where it has been. If you do decide to buy it because it seems a decent price, make sure you buy the extended warranty. I had a 97 S that i bought 3 months ago that i just traded in. They are very expensive to fix and just seem to have random things go wrong. They also don't get the best gas mileage. If it was me, i would stay away or buy a extended warranty that goes to 100,000 miles. The decision is yours.
  • srustsrust Member Posts: 2
    Joe:
    I have had similar type problems with my own car, especially and specifically the steering wheel tilt. Try pulling each fuse out and immediately replacing it. Don't, however, pull out the main 120 amp fuse - you must disconnect the battery and disconnect some wires for that one.
    srust
  • revmcgintyrevmcginty Member Posts: 1
    My '95 MM with 150K has recently begun setting the car alarm off for no reason, evne in garage. I've disconnected the hood open sensor (which fools the alarm into thinking the hood is open so alarm won't go off, but also means that there is no alarm on the car). Any better ideas? I've been unable to adjust and, for the most part, unable to figure out what else to do.

Other (minor) problems: door lights sometimes come on for no reason at all (when doors closed). Runs down battery. Can't figure it out. Obviously, taping down the door switch is not a solution (because doors are closed when lights come on).

And, the rear door interior trim is not connected to the door. Is there an easy way to reattach to door? Looked for the pins but have not yet found them.

Beyond that, so far, this is a wonderful car. Bought with 125K, runs strong, looks good, and rides like the luxury car it was originally meant to be. (Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that this was Mazda's aborted entry into the Lexus/Infinity/BMW category.)

thanks.

Rev McGinty
  • janlafjanlaf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 MM. Does anyone know where I can get some type of cover/grill to fit in the lower bumper to cover/protect the AC converter?
    Thanks for the help. I tried it but nothing it just got worse. I contacted Mazda and they told me it might be the wiring or the sunroof tracks, which I doubt but I know they will charge me an arm and a leg for it anyways. I think I'm just going to sell it and cut my losses. this sucks.. But hanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Joe G