Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• cindy79cindy79 Member Posts: 3
    Im not sure if it has had the 60K services when I purchased the car it had 88K, The dealer is paying for th sensor repairs. However one place meineke to be exact told me I need manifolds, and a converter if they a diffrent, the dealers repairman said that I needed all 4 o2 sensors and new axles which I was told by both he said my manifolds were fine, I guesiing the tcs off light has to do with the faulty o2 sensors.
  • taxijacktaxijack Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia and love it. I have read the site looking for a fix to my problem but haven't seen alot on my error codes. The darn check engine light is on and has been on for about 6 months now. The car has been running fine until late last week. I took the Mazda into the shop because now it is running ruff when I stop at a light. I do here a vacum leak at top of engine now.While at the shop they read the codes P0105 MAP/BORO Circuit Malfunction and also P0300 Multi Cyl Malfunction/misfire Detected. Not sure what I need to do to get this fixed. say that because I am with the Military overseas adn there is no Mazda dealers over here. What parts would I need to order to get someone to fix it. Would a MAP/Boro sensor fix the one problem.

Also another question about Check Engine Light. How do I get rid of that. Would the replacement of the 4 sensor help. I read alot on site were some people have replaced one or two sensor to fix. With me being oversea I tought maybe replace all four at same time since I don't have a dealer to go to. Any ideas
  • lynettlynett Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me if there is a rebuilding kit for the supercharger and how /where to get one milwaukee wisconsin. please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 99kj_owner99kj_owner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Millenia with the Miller cycle KJ engine. I have removed the left timing belt cover and traced a engine oil leak to where the left front of the cylinder head cover mates with the left cylinder head at the very front of the engine (front being where the timing belt is). It looks like a small part of the cylinder head has broken and shifted. There is 74,000 miles on the engine and it runs perfectly. It seems the only function of the broken piece is to provide a surface for the gasket to seal against. I would need to cut a hole in the fender well with a hole saw to take a picture which I have not done .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Larry
  • gr8trfoolgr8trfool Member Posts: 21
    Not a car expert, but I had a recent similar problem. Bogged down trying to get rolling, but a lighter touch on the pedal got it rolling and then it cruised fine. It was as simple as the air intake from the air filter had come loose and way too much air was being sucked in.
  • gr8trfoolgr8trfool Member Posts: 21
    I was trying to follow some of the discussions and threads regarding this topic, but my issue seems slightly different. I have a 95 Millenia, original owner with 121,000 miles. In the last few months, it has started to have an issue at about 1750-2000 RPM when driving, The car has a slight resistance with the RPM dropping slightly like an engine brake, then it releases and the RPM pops up to normal. Generally, a number of days late I will then have the CEL come on. When this happens, the car then idles rough and accelerates rough/sluggishly. I think the code always points to a mis-fire on Cylinder #1, but thats just a symptom I think. I have replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap, EGR, injector on cyl 1, but hasn't permanently solved the issue. I did find a vacuum hose coming off what I think (appears) to be the EGR solenoid disconnected, but it makes no difference whether in place or not.
  • kindasimplkindasimpl Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 is giving off codes PO300 and PO431. From my research it indicates the catalytic converter as the O2 sensor going would not trigger the 431 code also.

I found several on-line as a replacement but don't know which to choose. Also can a "small town" mechanic do the job or do I need to take it into the city? Is there anything else I should go ahead and replace at the same time; Oxygen Sensor, etc.?
  • rjoe1rjoe1 Member Posts: 3
    Also have a 2000 Millenia S model with 87k miles on it. Did not trigger a warning light or codes, but continued to "buck" at speeds around 55mph, as if it was missing. the Millinenia forum suggested the oxygen sensor located next to the air filter, so I took it apart and sprayed contact cleaner on the wires. This worked for a week or so and then it began again. My mazda mechanic took it into the shop and discovered that the vacuum hoses running along the top of the engine were rotted and leaking so he replaced them. Haven't had any trouble since. good luck!
  • krumtxkrumtx Member Posts: 5
    0300 is random missfire. when was the last time you changed plugs? and which plugs did you use? i am guessing that from your codes, you have a 2.3 mc motor. be very careful, most aftermarket places do not have the correct info on plugs for the mc motor. the gap MUST be .7-.8mm. NOT 1.1mm, like most of the stores think. if you do not fix the random miss, you will be buying both cats. the cat you need is the front pre cat, which is part of the exhaust manifold, and it is not cheap. last check was mazda list 987.20. some online dealers will sell it for just over 700 bucks. r&r is pretty straight forward, it is best done from under the car. afaik, only catco and eastern make this cat. brown recycling has reman ones at very good prices.
  • walturbwalturb Member Posts: 1
    Hi new to the forum. have 2002 milleniaS with Miller cycle engine. has 86,000 miles In for regular maintenance with a local mechanic . check engine light is on and readings he's getting indicate a catalytic converter issue. He suggested contact dealer and see if covered under warranty. Does anyone have any input as to what the warranty on the cat is? Thank you
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I had a 96 millenia, not the S, & drove it 208,000 trouble free miles. There were no problems when I traded it on my present car; but it needed a timing belt, tires, etc., & & decided not to put any money in it at that mileage. It was a great car to drive, comfortable & got anywhere from 28 to 30 mpg on the road.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I had a 96 millenia, not the S, & drove it 208,000 trouble free miles. There were no problems when I traded it on my present car; but it needed a timing belt, tires, etc., & & decided not to put any money in it at that mileage. It was a great car to drive, comfortable & got anywhere from 28 to 30 mpg on the road.
  • mdastrupmdastrup Member Posts: 1
    My mechanic just informed me that cause of a check engine light was oil leaking from the supercharger on my 2002 Millenia S. The local dealer informed that this is a $5000 repair. Does anyone know what alternatives exist to such a costly repair? Do aftermarket alternatives exist. I can play mechanic if I need to.
  • bayareadavebayareadave Member Posts: 7
    Yes, if you live near a major port you may want to look for companies that specialize in putting guaranteed used engines in. I was quoted a prices of $2200 to replace the engine with a used 40,000 mile engine.
  • captainvideocaptainvideo Member Posts: 2
    I need to replace my fuel injectors on my car. Has anyone done this? It looks like the intake manifold MUST come off - anyone have a diagram of the removal sequence? I know I need a repair manual, but can't find one without a couple of days wait for delivery. I need to do the repair asap. Any help would be appreciated - I know my way around an engine - just not this engine. By the way, I must be one of the lucky ones with this car - NO PROBLEMS except the EGR code issue, and I now know how to clean out the ports inside the throttle body to fix this minor glitch. Thanks in advance!
  • srvivor87srvivor87 Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody notice any degrading of the radio reception from adding tint to the rear window on any of the 97-02 Millenia models with the in-glass antenna?

I was thinking after I added the tint to my '02 Millenia rear window, I could possibly carefully cut out along the radio grids myself and remove the tint off the grids.
  • milleniaslavemilleniaslave Member Posts: 1
    HELLO NEW TO THIS PAGE. I HAVE A 2000 MILLENIA BASE 2.5L. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR SINCE I PURCHASED USED LAST YEAR I HAVE SPENT OVER $ 7,000.00 I REPAIRS. IT IS A GREAT LOOKING CAR AND WHENIT RUNS WELL A JOY TO DRIVE. LATEST PROBLEM IS FUEL ECONOMY. I HAVE DONE A COMPLETE TUNE UP. PLUGS, WIRES, DIST. CAP, ROTOR, PCV VALVE, K&N AIR FILTER, MAF SENSOR, AND HAD TIMING SET. GOT JUST UNDER 29 MPG ON INTERSTATE FOR A DAY THEN DOWN TO 12-18 MPG. THINKING OF REPLACING ALL 4 O-2 SENSORS NEXT. ANY IDEAS ?
  • Why not call it a day? The car isn't worth $7K. 29 mpg on the interstate is good. 12-18 isn't so hot, but you can buy a LOT of gas for the repairs you are contemplating. If it is running ok, don't worry about it. You have already spent too much money on this nine year old car, so get some mileage out of it. Next time, drive a harder bargain (these cars did not sell well and have poor resale), and have it gone over mechanically before you sign. Good luck.
  • mrscrimsmrscrims Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone! New to the forum but have a question Irecently changed the radiator of my 97 mellinia.Now for some reason the car will not move at all.Will go into gear but no movement. friend suggetsed that I may have drained the tranny fluid since the tube goes int the radiator.? I have no idea where to put in more fluid. Help!
  • soloflight98soloflight98 Member Posts: 13
    2000 millenia s 95000 miles. Changed the plugs found the typical oil in the oil wells. Changed the valve cover gaskets which took us 8 hrs to do but saved over $600. Also changed the 2 of the 02 sensors couple of years ago. Now I have this p0431 code which indicates the catalytic converter. I might not replace that until the gas mileage gets really bad. Will this hurt anything else? great car just expensive when somthing goes out. anyone changed out the timing belt themselves?
    I have read about changing the timing belt on another forum. I read a technical guide the guy added about his experiences. Access is the key issue. Remove the steering pump. He said he had to cut the rear timing belt cover in half to get it out. He said he had to raise the engine to get at the alternator tensioner bolt, but it would be better to drill a hole in the frame so you could always get it out without raising the engine I think. Other than that, it is just a matter of getting a manual and following the steps.

Wildman
    99 Millenia S
    San Francisco, California
  • jeb7jeb7 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Millenia with a 2.3L engine. At what RPM should it be running while traveling at 70mph?
  • Bona92Bona92 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Millenia S and have recently discovered I need a new/repaired Lysholm Compressor and have been given an estimate of $4,200.

The vehicle has 112k miles and I am not sure the vehicle is worth that much, prior to this there have been no major problems.

Is this worth repairing or is it a sign of more to come?
  • soloflight98soloflight98 Member Posts: 13
    How did they diagnose the s/c going out? Have you changed out the timing belt mazda gave me a quote of 1200 CRAZY. If you do change the s/c you should replace the valve cover gaskets also since you are in there.
  • Bona92Bona92 Member Posts: 2
    I have changed the timing belt just recently actually, they looked at the S/C but the biggest signs were burning oil and an incredible amount of exhaust at startup and any time during acceleration
  • TheMguy01TheMguy01 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of gas are you using, have you changed your fuel filter? It could be your IAC ( Ilde Air Control valve). It cost too!! $450.00
    Yea, thats a tough call and the price sounds about right, unless you plan on doing the work yourself. How many more miles do you expect to get out of the engine? 140K? 160K? You may want to consider replacing with a used, low mileage engine - you may even be able to have that done for less money.
  • howard27howard27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Mazda Millenia the engnie light has been on for months, It it runs fine. I have heard that it could be the Mass Airflow Sensor.

Does anyone have a better answer? And what can I expect it to cost?
    It won't cost much for a shop to hook up a diagnostic code reader and see what code is set. From there, you can get a better idea about why it is on. It may be something minor. You cannot pass smog with the indicator light on.
  • jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    Hello everyone. I have posted this on the warranty board, but I wanted to see if any fellow Millenia owners have any experience with this.

I have a 2002 Mazda Millenia. In about 7k miles when I reach 100k, my factory contract with Mazda will expire. I am only 24 and would like to keep this car for a couple more years so that I don't have to pay car payment. However, I do not want to spend excessive amounts of money on car repairs as I know that the parts for this car are expensive. Luckily, I do not have the Supercharged model, so I am thinking I should be able to find a reasonable price for this car vs. the s/c model.

What warranty companies do you guys recommend? Price is a major factor, but they need to be an "A" rated company.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Jeff

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• If you have serviced it right, don't waste your money. Many people get 150K or better without significant problems. It is a well-built car, and should need nothing other than maintenance if you have taken care of it. Save the warranty dollars for a big repair just in case, but I'm betting you won't need to use them.
    I think an ext warranty is a smart consideration. The only problem might be what they fix. I think they only pay if you have to bring the car in - e.g. check engine light or it breaks. They don't usually pay for maintenance, like struts, or what if a gasket starts leaking - will they fix that? This issue is, a luxury performance car like this is expensive to have worked on period, not just for break downs.
  • Almost any car is expensive to maintain these days. First of all, find a good independent mechanic. Mazda dealer maintenance is out of sight. Secondly, before you buy another warranty that may or may not cover something that goes wrong, have that good independent guy go over the car first and see if he or she sees something coming down the pike.

I have had extended warranties (2) and never used them. I have owned 27 vehicles. In only one case did I wish I had had an extended warranty when I didn't. I am still many, many dollars ahead by having provided my own insurance (same with travel insurance, but that's another subject).

Cars today take care of you if you take care of them. The quality in general out there is outstanding, compared to the 70s and 80s. Neglect and abuse are things that can really get you into trouble.
  • hankgrrlhankgrrl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Millenia S. I haven't had problems with it for years. Now when the car is in drive and I am stopped I hear a cycling noise and then get a vibration that pulses from the front to the back. The a/c-heat is not on. Neither is the check engine light. Any help would be nice.
  • rysakrysak Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys!
    The driver door and right rear door actuators seem to get busted on my 2000 Milly Mil edition. Neither door locks open. The locks are just stuck in locked mode, and the only way to get the doors opened is by pushing up the 'rocker' switch and pulling the chrome handle at the same time. They wouldn't respond to the remote control. So, unfortunately I believe that the verdict for the solinoids/actuators is DEAD! All this happened after two nights of freezing (about 0F) temperatures. I saw a couple of actuators online but, according to the description they are for 95-99 models. Does anybody know whether they will fit 2000 doors? Or perhaps someone has parts cross-reference which might help to determine the part numbers?
    Thank you all for your help!
  • 99millsowner99millsowner Member Posts: 3
    As my id indicates, I own a 99 millenia S. Runs great! Hit a road object at low speed and my air bags deployed. No other damage to car - state trooper was amazed - so was I. I now have about $3,000 in air bag replacement costs. I am purchasing a steering wheel cover to make do until I get the $ to replace bags. Can anyone provide a best guess as to the actual color of steering wheel cover? It looks brown but I am having problems getting an accurate color description. Any other suggestions as to how to fix my airbag problem at the lowest cost?

Thanks
  • TheMguy01TheMguy01 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where or who makes vint visors ( all 4 doors ) for a 2001 Mazda Millenia? Please let me know, Thanks!!
  • murphywjemurphywje Member Posts: 1
    Tomek
    I am experiencing this ticking sound in the climate control.
    What did the problem turn out to be?

WM
  • hawaiianmikehawaiianmike Member Posts: 13
    I have a "98 and it's my third M-Millenia---these are great cars!!

I have 2 issues and would appreciate any forum resonses if you have experieced this--

1)--check engine light is on and code reads CGR ---is this a big deal or can I ignore it?? How hard to fix?

2)- CD player not working, although cassette/AM/FM all OK---also, display is screwed up--can't read anything---anyone replace the unit---problems??

In response to earlier posts, I would always avoid any supercharger-equipped vehicle---more trouble than it's worth unless you are actually racing the car---esp here as heat is a concern---aloha to all--Miike
  • Had two supercharged Millenias...they are no problem if you do the required maintenance.
    As I said, in Hawaii HEAT is an issue and any turbo or super charger will obviously increase the engine's heat and therefore I feel that a regular 2.5 V-6 is better, not to mention the fact that we don't have long, empty roads (except on the Big Island---some REALLY NICE roads over there!!) and we pay more for gas ( 89 OCT E10 is around $2.60 gal) so I would not get the S model unless you got some great deal---I have a 98, after putting 150K mi on a 95, and I intend to get an '01 or '02 Millenia soon---great cars for Hawaii!!

Still looking for any advice on CGR engine code and stereo replacement tips----aloha all, Mike
  • Not to get into an argument here, but the S has the cooling capacity it needs for hot conditions. To your other point, the S actually gets better mileage than the M non-turbo model (which has less power and also uses premium fuel).
  • bmehrerbmehrer Member Posts: 3
    My daughter's 99 mazda millenia is experiencing surging problems upon take off. Once the car gets up to speed around 30 mph the problem is gone.
    But when she first starts off the car jerks almost like it is not getting gas. Any suggestions.

Bmehrer007@yahoo.com
    Been there, done that---first--2 questions--

1) Is this the 2.5 or the "Miller Cycle" motor?

2) is the "check engine" light on??

Obviously, if the light is on, go get a code reader and see what results---the CGR (emissions related) system is a weak link with this model, and a new hose/sensor usually resolves it---if not, next most likely culprit is bad wires/distributor cap---engine needs good spark from a standstill even more than at 2,3,4,000rpm, and the factory wires are junk---easy check is to get car in very dark surroundings (so, night-time is best), and then throw blanket over whole front end and run car---you will SEE sparks jumping if this is the problem---new wires/cap/rotor usually does it---hopefully it's not a bad distributor as they run over $500 at best---ouch----always check air filter when ANYTHING goes wrong---make sure it's not clogged, etc.

You're welcome to get me at : lifeofreilly@hawaii.rr.com if you can't resolve---I'm on my 3rd Millenia and love these models----good cars!! Mike Reilly, Kaneohe, HI
    Hi Mike

thanks for the reply. It is the 2.5 model i believe but will check when my daughter brings the car home tonight. I will try your suggestions and get back to you. Thanks again, hoping to resolve the issue myself as two daughters in college have me financially tapped out if you know what i mean.

Brian

PS. where can i get a code reader?
    They cost a lot, for a good one, and you can usually buy one at an auto parts store, wal mart, or any big box retailer, but I'd just go to a reliable mechanic to get the code deciphered---it takes some time to learn how to use it and it shouldn't cost that much (under $50) to get the codes out, so, why buy one? You only need to do this if ther "check engine" light is on---

Let me know how it goes- Aloha--Mike
    Hey Buddy,

opened up her hood and the air intake hose is totally broke in half between the air filter and the engine. Ordered one overnight from partswarehouse for. Not sure if that will make a difference. I tried to tape the other one for a quick fix until the new part came but it did not make a difference. Would this hose cause the engine surging.

thanks
    B. from the mainland "lake tahoe"
    HELL YA!! That would screw with the O2 sensor and confuse the computer----I'll bet it runs great after replacing it----if you don't look under the hood for that long, you need a mechanic to look it over---I'll bet your wires are old and the battery is marginal----give your gal some help here and get it up to snuff!!

Glad to hear it's not a big deal!! Aloha, Mike
  • maybugmaybug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Millenia with about 90K miles. For the past few months, since a tune-up performed by a local shop, the car has been stalling at stoplights or while standing. It happens infrequently and unpredictably. The check engine light would come on and off. My mechanic diagnosed it as potentially a problem with the "idle air motor". I took it ot he dealer, and they said that its a problem with the torque relating to the transmission, and that I need a new transmission. He said that its unusual to need a new transmission with the mileage, but that it may have been allowed to run hot with a previous owner (I purchased the car used last year). He said that the new transmission job would cost $3,500 and that they don't recommend rebuilds on these because they don't last. Uggh. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
    In response to your post about intermittent stalling---are you telling me that the "check engine" light comes on but then goes off??!! There are only 2 ways to get a light to go off----one is to use a "code reader" which a mechanic could use to determine what code is being presented, and, using the hand-held device, turn the light off----I'm going to assume that this is not your situation-----the other way to get the light to go off is to disconnect the battery, which would clear any and all lights until the on-board computer generated another code report----if your car ACTUALLY has the light coming on and then going off w/o you doing anything, I'd bet dimes to dollars that you have a bad battery connection, probably the negative, or "ground" side of the battery------either clean both battery posts and try it again " and get a meter on that battery to see if it's still good------good=13+ volts======or replace the battery----if you are in a cold temperature environment (I am in Hawaii and so this doesn't happen here!!), chances are you have a bad battery, which would explain the symptoms you are describing---easy to get fixed---I go to Sears and pay just under $100 for a GOLD die hard battery as they last the longest and come w/3 years replacement (pro-rated mind you) warranty, so I would check this out before any tranny work, which, although it could possibly be true, is unlikely.

FYI, I have a complete trans from my last Millenia (1995 2.5L V6) that I would sell you for $350, but you would have to pay for the shipping, and since I don't know where you are, it's hard to say if it would make sense----let me know what happens at: lifeofreilly@hawaii.rr.com----good luck and aloha, Mike