Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Are there any 02 530 5-spd drivers out there who DON'T get north of 24 mpg? (Besides me.)

FWIW, and for comparison, I got 23 mpg for 12 years with my ES300. (It was so consistent that it became kind of a joke.) This is smack in the middle of the EPA range for that car, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect similar performance with my 5er. Meaning that I ought to be seeing more like 25-26 mpg. And with gas costing $2.399 a gallon, the fewer fill-ups I need, the better.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    It was $2.469 Thursday.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Funny, My former 323i got 23.5 in about 40/60 combined cycle every time That was figuring by hand , did not have OBC.

For Comparison I spent $43.01 to put 22 gallons in my Yukon at 384 miles and $1.96 for 87 oct. About 17.4 mpg. That was the same 40/60 driving.

DL
  • tangodeltatangodelta Member Posts: 2
    Hi board! Newbie here (non-owner), thought I'd branch out on another board but I guess the mods didnt feel it was warranted, so here I am. I basically cut and pasted the below questions from the dead post. So here goes...

While conducting research through out the discussion boards, I discovered that, (for first time BMW buyers that is) there wasn’t a specific board dedicated to inquire about specific options / feature package mixes.

Eager to learn every detail of the 5 Series, (In terms of features both optional and standard) I can before giving up any cash. I decided to create / start this aspect of BMW....the Options and Features!

To name a few for example, I will start with seats. Seats are very important. Especially since this is 75% of driving.

Is it possible to have both luxury and sport seats? Better yet, is there such a thing called luxury sport seats? Can you combine the two?

A couple of Rover drivers tell me that Leatherette last longer, or holds up well compared to actual leather. Any info? How are your leather or leatherette seats holding up? Or did you opt for Upholstery?

On the Ventilated Front seats, also known as “butt fans”, Can you really notice a difference? Is it a fan, or is it an air-conditioned seat?

I really like the padding on the optional 20-way comfort seats. Nothing more, I just really like them and felt I should mention that.

Making the decision to purchase a 5 series was somewhat easy, but finally deciding what features and options down to the “t” is pretty tough.
    If you have purchased a particular option / feature, and are happy with it or not. I would like to hear your experience.

I read on the boards that SMG was a bit of a “novelty item”. Thought about it, $1500 for SMG and once the “newness” wears off I’ll never use it? That’s why I love these boards. Someone will open your eyes in some way shape or form to make you ask yourself, Do I need it or do I want it?

Thanks in advance!
    Tango Delta

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,819
    Amazing... I only stopped in Georgetown because I was about empty.. I was at the Delaplain Rd Shell.. I'm usually on the short end of that fluctuation.. Nice to save $0.15/gallon for a change..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Of course, if you'll come out twice a year and pick up the off-season set, and take them home and store them for me, I could be persuaded to make that change...
    I'm actually talking about the Shell on US 25 in Georgetown, but all 4 stations in town are usually the same. Not sure about relationship with Delaplain Road.

In this area, Winchester is usually 10 cents higher and Frankfort is 2-3 cents less. I try to avoid reformulated or oxygenated gas, so I cannot compare to Lexington, Louisville or Northern Ky.

Also, there is an old Shell station (20's or 30's) north of Georgetown that has been turned into a nursery. It is between Corinth and Sadieville.
  • prophetprophet Member Posts: 72
    Was looking to trade in my 03 530i for another 05 one. After driving the 05 BMW, 06 GS300, and 06 Infinity M35, I bought the M35. I didn't like the new BMW looks (eyebrows, bustle rear, + non-intuitive idrive) nor the GS300 softness. The M35 gives the best of all worlds. Also, it's quicker than my 530i. My BMW was a good car but the factory service intervals & dealer attitude aren't what they should be.
  • robopoprobopop Member Posts: 15
    Just to make you really feel badly, I just got back from a DC to NYC trip and averaged (from the time I got on the expressways in DC till the Holland Tunnel) 30.5 mpg and 68 mph. This is with a 01 530 steptronic and includes rest stops, rapid accelerations from toll booths, etc. Normally I average about 22 mpg with lots of short trips mixed with some expressway driving, and being fairly aggressive. I get better mileage with the BMW than with our 98 Camry - talk about a difference in driving too!
    Keep those cards and letters coming, folks! The more of you who swear to great mileage, the better for me when I take my :lemon: (?) to the dealer.
  • mabodmabod Member Posts: 11
    I was set on buying the 545 after driving it as well as the 530. Now the 530XI excites me as I live in Colorado. Have any of you used Dinan or others to beef up a 530? I want 545 feel with the 530XI awd. Probably can't have it but do any of these after market add ons really add much ?

thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Even Dinan admits that in this era of OBD-II, there just isn't much that can be done to a normally aspirated engine (short of breathing on it with a turbo/super charger of course). The fact is that the new 3.0 Liter I6 mill from BMW is MUCH freer breathing than was the pervious motor with its induction limiting throttle butterflies (the new engine uses dynamic valve lift and duration to throttle the engine). As such, I would think that the new motor would suffer from the effects of altitude to a somewhat lesser degree than the older engine. In your case it's really too bad that the Europe only Turbo Diesel 530d isn't available here in the States. Like you I've driven a number of turbo cars over the Rockies and the difference is nothing short of astounding. My bet is that a 530d would absolutely destroy a 545i over Loveland Pass. :shades:

Oh, and by the way, have you considered a manual gearbox? I think that you'll find that a 530i with a 6-Speed manual transmission will perform nearly as well as a 545i with an automatic. I know that the BMW web site says that there is a 0.6 second difference between the two, however, I'm thinking that it might be a little less than that due to the fact that you can see the incline coming and already have the proper gear selected, even a good Automatic hasn't figured out how to do that yet.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'll wait for the 530XI to test drive. Hopefully they come stick as well as auto.

No reason to rush as the new model might be very sweet. I di'i realize the 545 ate so much gas. It sure was a rocket though.

thanks again
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I have a 2005 525i, which after 6 months, I find to be too sluggish with only 184 hp. I just ordered a new 2006 530i (increased hp to 255) - was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to drive the 2006 530i and what they have experienced compared to the 2005 -
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I have 03 E39 530, 5sp SP and in my driving I have never had milage above 28. During my regular drives around the town it averages about 21 - 22 and on the highway it goes to 27 - 28. I do drive fast and probably faster on the freeway than most folks (around 80 - 90 mph). Frankly, even with the gas prices as they are this is not a concern to me. If you can afford these cars you should be able to pay for the gas as well. Ditto for the folks with SUVs with 40 gallon tanks
    Hehe, the only time the price of gas affected me with my 530i was when it was still in Europe. IIRC, on one occasion in France a fill up was over $100. Ouch. Then again since I had the car running between 90 and 100 before it was broken and between 120 and 130 after it was broken in, I guess the 24 mpg that I got was pretty good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone put an XM Commander in an E-39? Any guidance would be appreciated. The car is a 99.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    I just returned from a 645 mile round trip (NYC-Summit Point, WV) road trip. Most of the trip was highway driving and I averaged 30.1 MPG in my 2003 530i/5spd/SP. This is the best road trip car I've ever owned. I am looking forward to my drive to Montreal, Quebec in June for the Grand Prix.

Regards...JL
    If you can afford these cars you should be able to pay for the gas as well.

Buying a three year old car costs a whole lot less than buying new (which definitely was out of my price range). Having said that, I can afford to fill my tank; I prefer to spend my money elsewhere--or better yet, save it. What bothers me is that I don't seem to be getting the same mileage as everyone else. This offends my green side as well as my bank account.

You might or might not remember that this discussion started with my complaints about uneven tire wear coupled with what I felt was lousy gas mileage. Everyone I consulted locally insisted that my expectations are unrealistic, but everyone on this board claims otherwise.
    "Everyone I consulted locally insisted that my expectations are unrealistic, but everyone on this board claims otherwise."

Ask yourself this, "How many of the folks that I consult locally drive an E39 530i 5-Speed as their daily driver?" If the answer is "some", then some of them have a point. If the answer is "all" then they all have a point. My bet is that the real answer is "none", in which case they are all full of hot air. We all know that your car isn't puttin' out like it should, and for my part at least, I'm urging you to continue to search for the cause.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Update:

50745 miles, 52.5 MPH, 26.4 MPG.

Again, this from day 1, but if they disconnect the battery on the boat over, it is from a little over 1900 miles.

Also, if someone thinks I am lying, I will pay their airfare here if they will pay me $1.00/mile both ways to wherever if I am not lying.
    We could fill a hot air ballon with all the hot air flying around. (Some drive bimmers, just not E39 530i 5 spds, and the rest make a living working on them. You would think they might have some idea what they are talking about...but as we all have found out here, you would be wrong.)

I have not given up on this; perseverance (stubborness?) is my middle name. Today it goes to the franchise dealer.

Something did occur to me recently, though, so I'm going to ask. I have been driving 5 spds for something like 25 years (yikes...I don't feel that old!). But they all have been Toyota or Lexus. Is there something different about the shift points on the bimmer that would translate to reduced mileage because I'm in the wrong gear for the speed I'm driving? I tend to shift to 5th at 45-50 mph (2500-3200 rpm), and sometimes when I'm cruising at 40 (two lane roads with slow traffic and lots of speed traps) I stay in 5th.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Just a few comments if I might on various topics.

CMYBIMMERGO, I don't question the mileage numbers others post, since an E39 530 is capable of good highway mileage (not too heavy, and decent drag coefficient), and everyone drives differently, but the average numbers recently posted by Edmunds (our host) on their long term E39 (21.1 mpg) are more consistent with my own experience, which is somewhat spirited, mostly around town driving. I do not think your car is underperforming. March '05 report: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=102443

TANGODELTA, I'd only remind you that options can really bulk up the price of a car, with precious few of those extra $$ seen at resale. So I'd suggest choosing the options you feel like YOU will enjoy, for the money, during your years of ownership. I think the stock seats are great, but if you like the comfort seats, just figure that will be money out of pocket during your ownership. Likewise upgraded sound system. Leather seats are probably an exception, not only do they wear well (102k miles on my E34 and they held up great), but their absence could somewhat inhibit resale for cars of this cost level. I'm on record here saying that SMG is a novelty (with some reliability issues to boot) that I think you can live without, if you want to shift yourself, buy a stick (but prepare to get hammered at resale since not many people can drive stick), if you have to share with a non-stick driver, opt for a conventional auto, everyone can enjoy it and this will be a non-issue at resale.(lots of discussion of SMG on www.E60.net.) Seats with fans? Probably a nice feature if you live in a warm climate, and might see a little back at resale in that same market, but we've all been getting by pretty well with just a/c all these years

MABOD, Shipo is correct that only a turbo/super-charged engine can help compensate for the lower density of air at high altitude. Valvetronic (control of engine output by varying valve lift, rather than by restricting air intake with butterfly throttles) enhances power/mileage by eliminating the inefficiencies associated with restriction of air flow, but will not affect air density, and thus be subject to power loss at high altitude.
  • big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    But I ordered my 2006 530i today. Overall the process went very well, and I left with my production number in hand.

is it here yet???????
    Out of curiousity, did you opt for snow tires and new rims or just the snow tires? I am just looking for some recommendations. I think I am sold on new rims for the snow tires, but am a little confused on what size to buy. I ordered my 530i with sport package today, and want to take care of getting the snow tires before it is too late. Also, did you get a different size rim like so many others here recommend?

Thanks!
    I just checked TireRack and they have a very nice winter wheel and tire package for your 530i SP for $1,208 (plus shipping and taxes). Said package can be had for a little less money with less capable tires and less attractive wheels, but $1,208 ain't too shabby. The package consists of four 17 x 8 Borbet Type E Silver Wheels with a machined lip, priced at $149 each, and four 225/50 R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires, priced at $153 each.

Generally speaking, the smaller the wheel size and the narrower the tire width the better it is for snow conditions (and the above is as small as it gets for your car). I have run 225 width tires on my 530i for the last three winters and even though two of the winters featured well over 100 inches of snow, my car simply plowed through it. Well, that's not quite true, one day last month the wind and snow conspired in such a way that the entire length of my 160 foot driveway was covered in a 3 foot deep drift while the rest of my front yard was down to the icy crust over yet another foot of snow. :-/

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That helps immensely. Frankly I was expecting that these rims and tires would set me back much more. It's always easier when someone tells me what to do :)

I live in MN, and we have had two straight unseasonably snow free winters here in the Twin Cities. Now that I will not be driving an AWD SUV for the first time in 10 years, it's bound to be an ugly winter. And there's probably no need to wait...even though I don't need them for seven months, the 3 year warranty will still cover me for three winters if I order them now.

Thanks again!!!
    Glad to be of service. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I noticed another major car magazine had a comparison test of cars in the 5-series class, this time cars costing $55K. The 530i came in 6th out of 8. Number one was the M45.

What is happening to our beloved 5-series? It was always number 1.

Other than the reasons the article stated (including relative weak engine performance, style and i-drive), I think it is a combination of these factors:

1. Price - the E60 is not as price competitive as that of the E39, pushing the 530 into competition with cars with V8 engines
    2. Competition - no question the competition has made considerable improvement over the last few years

P.S. since my first $50 fill-up last week, gas prices have gone up another 10 - 15 cents. Some stations around here are now at or over $3 a gallon for 91 octane. Next month I will be in Germany. After a few potential $100+ fill-ups, I know I will be happy with $50 fill-ups again when I return.
    A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) The folks at the car magazine LOVE to slam iDrive, however, the folks here who already have it don't seem to mind it too much. In fact, unless I'm missing something, most actually seem to like it. Disconnect with the reviewers #1.

2) They most likely (I haven't seen the review) compared a 2006 M45 with a 2005 530i, and that just ain't fair as the 2006 530i has the new 255 HP mill. Even still, the V8 in the M has something like an 80 HP cushion to offset BMWs (most likely) conservative 255 HP rating. I find myself wondering how a 2006 530i 6-Speed manual (or SMG) would do against the M45. The performance would probably be somewhat closer at the very least. Disconnect with the reviewers #2.

3) My bet is that the new 2006 530i will easily be able to return WAY better gas mileage than the M45 (half again as much? Nah, too much to ask. ;-) ). However, in this era of increasing fuel costs, that is probably a factor that was somewhat overlooked in the review.

Still and all, the new M was good enough to cause our fellow TownHaller MarkCincinnati (a perennial Audi driver) to order his first non-Audi in something like decades, so it must be pretty darn good. Ain't competition a wonderful thing? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    Have fun in Germany. What kind of ride have you secured?
  • prophetprophet Member Posts: 72
    After driving 05 530i, 06 GS300, and 06 M35, I bought the M35. MY 03 BMW looks much better than the 05 with its eyebrows, butt hump, and unintuitive idrive. Would have bought the Sports pkg but hate runflats. BMW better start getting it togather or they'll lose more customers like they lost me.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    As said before in these forums, I like the new BMW look and, yes, the i-Drive of my 04 5-Series. (Apart from the astonishing driving experience, which is primarily why I bought this car.) On the contrary, I do not like the styling of most of the former BMWs. Then I am here to level the balance: while some goes out, others come in.
    :blush:
    Jose
  • tangodeltatangodelta Member Posts: 2
    SDG380 - Thanks for the advice!
    As promised more questions that I hope may be answered.

Just how do you break in a car? I've been following the board here and there but no one sure way. I was taught that you should never let the RPM exceed 5, at least until the first 500 miles. Then again it was a Mercury Sable I was responsible for.

Does Sport Pkg have a harder ride / feel to it over the non Sport Pkg option?

Does iDrive's Voice recognition, recognize more than one voice, i.e. my wife or daughter?

I was also told by a BMW Rep that BMW and its German engineers believe that rear wheel drive is the best performance/driving wheel. Besides the obvious, which is to offer customers more driving options. Why introduce all wheel drive?
    Next, Does it still handle like a BMW?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    like I somehow did, check this out: First Drive: 2006 BMW 530xi
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I got new rims and tires from Tire Rack. Was very pleased with their service and had good luck with the snows this winter. We didn't get a lot of the white stuff here in Northern Viginia but we got enough for me to check out the car with snow tires on and I was very pleased with how well it handled. Compared to my old 325eS, my 545 was much better...very sure footed.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Here are my answers after 2 weeks of owning 2005 545 ia Sport.

1. Break in. Read The Fine Manual. First 1,200 miles kelp RPM < 4,500, speed < 100 mph, no hard braking first 300 miles.

2. Sport package ride with 18 wheels and run-flats is very hard, much harder than E39.

3. iDrive only follows my instructions ignoring my girl-friend completely

4. AWD. To get through the white stuff in the winter maybe?

5. Yes, it is still the UDM
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    After being thoroughly disappointed with the power in the '05 525i and 325i I test drove about 3 weeks ago, I test drove both the '05 530i and the '06 GS300 today (in that order). I'm in love with 5-series, but I had more fun test driving the GS. I'm moving from an SUV to a sedan so the extra leg room in the GS is a big plus for me. You can also feel the extra torque and horsepower. And the bells and whistles that come standard on the GS outnumber those that comes standard on the 530. But honestly if i had to choose I think I'd still go with the 530.

Basically I'm typing here for the first time to see if I'm being unreasonable. With all that the 530 comes with I don't need any packages or accessories. The only extra I need - the only extra I want - is the automatic transmission, although I know that it's almost impossible to find a 530 that doesn't at the very least have the premium package. The fact that I'm going to be stuck paying 1.7K extra for stuff I really don't want leaves a really salty taste in my mouth as it is. Nonetheless, invoice on such a car (530i + auto + premium package) is 45K, which is 5K more than I'd get the GS for. And I'm willing to pay an extra 5K for the Bimmer, but not a penny more.

I'd like to lease a vehicle at the beginning of May and I'm going to come with $4-5K on the total drive off and expect to still be stuck with a $500-600 payment on a 3yr/12K lease.

So my question is, am I being unresonable expecting to find a dealer willing to deal? This will be my first car purchase...lease actually.
    A few points:

- Dealers will deal. You just might need to shop around to find one.
    - You need to compare what the monthly lease prices are going to be and not the MSRP of the car. Often a more expensive BMW will have a lower monthly lease price than another car with a lower MSRP.
    - If you wait for a 2006 530i you will find that it packs another 30 ponies under the hood.
    - If you order a car from with exactly the equipment that you want the factory today, it will be a 2006 model.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "We all know that your car isn't puttin' out like it should, and for my part at least, I'm urging you to continue to search for the cause."

I've run into a brick wall. I haven't picked up my car yet, but I spoke to the tech and a BMW rep at the dealer yesterday. The rep kept spouting generic gibberish--mileage depends on your driving habits, how much weight you're hauling around, options on the car, season, blah blah blah--all of which are true, but none of which apply to my situation (except for driving habits, and I DON'T drive like a maniac or in stop and go traffic). He blew off the tire wear and vibration at 80 mph (Z-rated tires wear out fast, and they might be improperly balanced). He said as long as the engine light is not on, there is no problem. When he mentioned shifting habits, I tried to pin him down, but I got a complete nonanswer. He suggested that I use the OBC to calculate my mileage because it's more accurate. (Maybe, but I cannot imagine the difference will amount to 4-5 mpg, which is what we're talking about here.)

The tech at least was willing to speculate that there might be a problem in the making, but until the light comes on, there isn't anything he can do.
    Hmmm, something just ain't kosher. At the very least, I'd ask the technician to "Flash" your OBC with the latest code from Germany, and at the same time reset it (assuming that the Flash doesn't already reset it). That way the computer can re-learn your driving habits. Still and all, with your un-even tire wear, I'm unconvinced that there isn't a problem that is as yet undiscovered.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I just got off the phone with the service rep. She's sticking to the BMW rep's advice to calculate my mileage using the OBC. But I told her to go ahead and have them flash it. I don't love the $98 charge (if there were "something wrong" with the car they'd do it for free), especially since there is no guarantee that it will change anything, but I know that nothing is going to change--positively, anyway--if I don't do it.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight!

Just read the comparison, and I thought it was quite clear, the 530 simply got out-muscled by competition that had from 40 to 100+ more hp, particularly cars that had V8's, that fit within their $55k cap. And as noted, they didn't even test the new BMW 3.0 liter I6.

I don't think it's any big secret that if you want more (claimed) hp for the money, you might want to look to Japan, particularly Nissan (Infiniti). But if you want the driving experience and cache that I believe really is only associated with German cars, and BMW's and M-B's in particular, you had better be prepared to pay the freight (they called the BMW "a driver's car") If you don't want to spend the extra $5k, hey, that's understandable, but I guess my own feeling is when you're blowing $50k on a car (when you can get a perfectly serviceable Accord or Camry for half that), what's an extra $5k to get the Real McCoy. But my wife and I don't have any kids, so I'm not sending anybody to college...

On other topics:

Tangodelta: the Sport Package has firmer suspension, and lower profile, grippier "summer" tires. Here in Chicago, our roads are all so chewed up that the standard suspension feels plenty firm, and I prefer not to futz around with bi-annual tire swaps--but the S/P will provide the last bit of handling precision if you can accept the trade-offs. (Note that the Inifiniti that won above comparison test had 19" "summer" tires--great on smooth, dry roads, but you may encounter other conditions where you live.) Re: all-wheel drive, many feel if offers greater road-holding under adverse conditions, which offsets extra weight, torque-steer effect, and adverse impact on chassis balance. I'm sure BMW feels they need to offer it to stay competitive, particularly in locales like here in the Midwest, not withstanding its debatable benefits.

Damienwg: I ordered my '02 530, and got EXACTLY the options I wanted--just didn't get a very good deal, since I didn't buy out of dealer inventory. But see my comments above if you're concerned that you're getting more for your money with the Lexus that the BMW. My wife owns a Lexus, and as I've said, "the Lexus is a pleasure to RIDE in, the BMW is a pleasure to DRIVE." They're both fine cars, just different.

Cmybimmergo: I'm a little unclear, is your performance (mileage) worse than that reported in the Edmunds long-term E39 report? If not, guess I'm not sure where the problem is, other that possible suspension/alignment/tire issue if there's high-speed vibration or uneven tire wear.
  • robopoprobopop Member Posts: 15
    I would agree with Shipo about the tire wear being a problem. I have 67000 miles on my '01 530 (non-sport package) and use Michelin Pilot Sport AS (W rated - these are soft) and have never had uneven wear- although they don't last all that long, ie. about 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The last set did wear in the center a little more than the edges but I attribute that to my slight over inflation to get better handling. My driving is lots of crowned country roads, some highway, not much city. Somehow, you have to get your tire wear problem fixed!
    A $98 charge!?! Yikes, my local dealership did it for free, and I didn't even buy the car from them. I'm thinking that that stinks. :mad:

Keep us posted on how the new software works out. If I remember correctly, it can take as much as two weeks before the OBC is fully synched with your driving style.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    To show how times have changed, when my wife and I last went to Germany a few years back, we rented a 3-series and had a blast. That car handled and drove like nothing else (even at 200 kph). Now we are going with the kids and we are renting a .... mini-van (she insisted).

I knew I was going to Germany this May back in December when my lease was expiring on my 2002 530. I was very tempted to do the ED thing for either the e60 or the new 330. However, when the dealer offered me a buy out-at MMR ($4K under then wholesale blue book and over $2.5K under the BMW lease contract buy-out price) and certification for $1800, I could not say no. It cut my monthly payments almost in half compared to a new e60. Remember, with wife and kids, money goes out fast.
    Ah, but you live in NH and I live in the land of There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch. I think it stinks, too, but whatever. I also had to pay to have reset the computer settings for the car (daytime running lights off, audible signal for locking up off, automatic seat adjustments upon unlocking on, automatic door locking on).

I definitely will let you know in a couple of tankfuls what's going on. I fill up about every eight days or so. (ABTW, I appreciate everyone's concern and support.)

But in the meantime, how do I reset the OBC? The general manual says there's a separate manual for it, but it didn't come with my car, and although I usually am good about figuring out stuff like this, this one has me stumped. Is there an online manual I can read?
    "I'm a little unclear, is your performance (mileage) worse than that reported in the Edmunds long-term E39 report? If not, guess I'm not sure where the problem is, other that possible suspension/alignment/tire issue if there's high-speed vibration or uneven tire wear."

To answer your question, no and yes. By that I mean that I haven't fallen below the numbers posted by edmunds.com, but the performance I reported here (starting with post #10008) elicited quite a few comments as to its being inconsistent with what others were getting.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    Thank you for answering my questions Shipo. You said the lease might be lower on a car with a higher MSRP...why is that?

You're right in that the lease payment is my only concern. I want to spend no more than $4K to 5K (though closer to 4K) on total drive off and have a monthly of less than $500.

And the specific equipment I want is '06 black or titanium grey exterior standard 525i with auto trans. and nothing else or '05 black or titanium grey exterior standard 530i with auto trans. and nothing else. Heck, I re-tested an '05 525i today and I think I'd be satisfied with it as well.

Last question, what's the likelihood of finding a dealer willing to deal on an '06? Aren't the first and second shipment going to be in very high demand and thus be sold at or just slightly below sticker?

Thanks again, like I said this will be my first lease and I don't want to spend the next 3 1/2 weeks putting my heart into a 5-series only to be devistated. I would be just as satisified with a GS or even C230 Komp (which I test drove today). But like I keep saying my heart is with the 5-series and I look just so damn good in it. :-)
    Considering a new 530i OR 530XI. I dig preformance and was headed to a 545 but hearing all the bad stuff on this thread about poor gas mileage and engine problems I think i'll pass.

We get about 20 good snow days a year here. Is the 530i (I know you haven't driven the new 255hp version) with snows a solid car in the snow. A second set of snow tires I can handle, but a second AWD or 4wd I can't. Would you expect much preformance difference between the 530i and the 530XI ? I've been a Saabb owner for 25 years and alwys figured RWD cares to be really bad preformers in the snow. I'm always suprised to see BMW offer a fold seat or rear entry for skiis. I figured they wouldn't get you to the ski slope.

thanks
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Hi mabod, I've got a 2005 545 and have had no problems with it at all. Gas millage has been about 20 mpg driving back and forth to work while I've gotten 28 or so on trips. I do have the Six-speed so, if you're contemplating an automatic, you won't get that sort of performance.

I picked mine up in November and already have 10000 miles on it and, as I said, not a single problem

I live in Northern Virginia where we get occasional snow (some years a lot; some years none) so I bought a good set of snow tires and wheels and put them on as soon as I got the car. Can tell you that I'm very pleased with how solid it felt in the snow. Although we didn't have an especially bad winter, we did get enough for me to determine that it has very good manners in slippery conditions. It's not all wheel drive mind you but it was solid enough for me.

My previous car was an 86 325eS and that was a pig in the white stuff. It was very front heavy and, consequently, the rear end kept breaking out. Not so the 545 which seems to be about evenly balanced, front to back.

And is this car a joy to drive. It is like flying, it is so smooth. And very responsive to the gas pedal.

Let us know what you decide.