Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    This car has so much power. With my 325i, I'd go up my inclined garage path and it would barely be moving with my foot off the brake and gas, but with the 545i, I gotta use the brake as it wants to plow forward on its own.
    I haven't floored it yet but it is so ultra-smooth! I know after a few months when the break-in period is over, my new buddy and I will become fast friends(and I do mean fast!).
    Is there anyone out there besides me who thinks the E60 steering wheel is a bit too thin?
    My previous 325i's steering wheel felt just right.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Does anyone know what the "Lighting Package" consists of? It is included with the Premium Package, but you can't order it as a separate package. It can't be the xenon headlights because that's a separate option. I can't find any info on bmwusa.com, and the best a google search yields is "interior lighting package with ambient light." Does anyone have any additional info? Thanks.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I went up to NH yesterday to test drive some cars in this order:

2005 530i SP AT
    2006 750i SP AT
    2006 325i SP AT

I currently have a 2003 530i. But I was dissapointed with the 530 supplied for this drive. The engine in that car is just not enough and I found the suspension a bit jarring and abrupt. Also, when pushed the tires on that car just don't cut the mustard. I felt that my non-SP 530 does much better with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on 17" wheels. The interior of the car did not at all feel like a step up from my car.

The 750 was a great ride. I think the interior is very nice. The controls would take some getting used to. But the ride is very luxurious. And when pushed it takes off its Cadillac ride and gets down to business. The juxtaposition of handling vs. luxury is amplified here to the nth degree - probably more than other BMW product ever made.

Th 325 was the biggest surpirse to me. The new 6 in combo with the new chasiss is well executed. The fun factor is a 10 even with the smaller engine. The interior is a much better execution the the current 5. You just can't help tossing this baby around. The convertible should be a hoot. If anyone is looking to spend $35K on a car you have to drive this if you are an enthusiast. Homerun for BMW. Hopefully this will generate enough revenue for them to get them to the next 5-series design :)

Based on these rides I would recommend to the BMW designers that they:
    1) Put the new six in a 7-series i.e. 730i.
    2) Upgrade the 5 interior a lot in 2008 re-do (closer to 7-Series) along with a re-styling to the front end bumper - take the "frown" out :(
    3) Get out performance packages for the 3-series ASAP
    4) Hurry up with the 3-series hardtop convertible.
    5) Put a bigger sunroof in the 7-series - like the 6-series.

All in all a fun experience that you folks should take advantage of without a salesperson along for the ride ;)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Is the new 3 vert going to be a hard top?

-Paul
  • humphrey1humphrey1 Member Posts: 2
    i'm considering ordering a 525, i live in kentucky where we have snow or ice about 1 1/2 months
    the salesman says the i is fine for our area
    should i go ahead and order the xi?
    i think the salesman is trying to get me to buy one in stock and they don't have any xi's
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I doubt that you need an xi. I also live in Kentucky; I have a 1997 528i that serves as my wife's commuter sled. I have a set of Michelin Artic Alpine winter tires mounted on steel wheels with BMW OEM wheel covers. In early December I install the winter tires(a very easy 45 minute job) and in mid to late March I re-fit the summer tires and wheels. Your car will need winter alloy wheels and I'd advise buying a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack. Couple some good winter tires with BMWs traction/stability controls and-in my opinion-only the most incompetent, bone headed drivers will have trouble in the wintry stuff. An added advantage is that you can then run true summer tires from April through November instead of under-acheiving all-season rim protectors.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I also live in Kentucky and have a 2002 530i w/Sport Package. Last Christmas was the only time I could not or should not get out. The price difference and maintenance cost difference will rent alot of cars from Enterprise.
    That storm last Christmas was a real mess-snow on top of a layer of ice. I live at the end of a 1/2 mile gravel farm road and it took me over 45 minutes to get my Jeep Wrangler out. Aside from that incident, the only time I haven't driven the 5er in the nasty stuff is when ground clearance has been an issue.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,095
    Although, I have a 3-series..

Skip the Xi, and get winter tires/wheels...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjackson1mjackson1 Member Posts: 1
    Maintenance is everything on this car. Plan on spending real money to keep in perfect running condition. The PLUS side is my car at 103000 ('97 528i) drives perfect and looks like almost new inside and out. The material quality and build quality make these cars defy age. BUT a vehicle service history and inspection by a real BMW facility is very important. I think with 80k and it being 8 yrs old any gremlins of a new model are already addressed. Know BEFORE you buy what service and how much will be needed. I wouldn't worry about '97 if you do the right things and would be a lot less money.
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    I must tell you all that I'm glad to see this discussion (about the snow tires) going on now.

This way, those of us intrested can do the necessary research to have everything in place for Winter
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    People just don't get it. Maybe it is ingrained in their head that they NEED AWD. Last Saturday after work I went and test drove an E90 325i. While waiting for my salesguy to finish up, I struck up a conversation with 2 different people checking out cars in the showroom. One guy said he was there to drive a 530Xi. They don't have any Xis yet, but had a 530iA w/ SP for him to drive. I tried to explain to him that a Sport Package 530i will drive much different from a 530Xi. His reply was that he'd get the Sport Package on the Xi as well. I tried to explain that all he'd need was a good set of winter wheels & tires and he wouldn't need AWD. He replied that he drives a lot from New Jersey to Long Island. Long ISland is FLAT! I just gave up at that point and told him good luck with the rest of his car shopping.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Back in the early '90s I bought a five speed Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for a work beater. The previous owner maintained that it was horrible in the snow. I wound up driving it in all sorts of crummy winter weather and I only got stuck once-when I high-centered it on a pile of plowed snow. Years of FWD propaganda has convinced most US drivers that RWD is dangerous in any climate short of an arid desert. I've even heard people say that they need AWD because it rains a lot where they live. Sad...
  • jk30jk30 Member Posts: 10
    I have been searching online for safety info on the 04-06 530i (xi)
    I am trying to decide on the purchase of a 530 or Volvo S80. I want the safest car possible of the two, but can't find the safety info on the 5 vs the wealth of info that I've found on the S80. I know that both are 'safe' cars, I'm just looking to see the information/build reports. Any suggestions?????
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I don't feel the E60 steering wheel is thin—though I have small hands. Perhaps is because of that. What I feel very comfortable with the E60 steering wheel is that one can grip very firmly the steering wheel with the thumbs applied to the steering-wheel radius when driving sharp corners.

Regards
    José
    Not really a complaint. It just seems a little thinner than the 3 series steering wheel.

Incidentally, Jose, my service reminder does not change from 15,000 miles as I put mileage on the car. Do you know if there is a way in iDrive to get this number to count down with mileage driven or is this a software issue?
    Thanks.
    hpowders
    According to another BMW forum, the service mileage indicator starts at 15,000 miles and goes down by 1000 mile intervals until it gets to 5000 miles left at which time it performs as expected.
    I only have 400 miles on my 545i so I will have to wait to see if it is working properly.
    I guess you would have found that out already, if you could afford the gas to actually drive 1000 miles.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've found a way.
    Skipping lunch on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays....
  • hunterd77hunterd77 Member Posts: 1
    I have just recently been able to free up about 60-65k and am in the market for a new car. I am not that knowledgable in cars and I need some advice. I am currently on the path for a BMW 545i w/ Sport package. Everything seems in place and things are going smoothly. I'm thinking black with the beige interior.

With my current job I am very busy and I have little time to go leisurely shop around. I have test driven this car and I like the way it drives a whole lot(I'm switching from a truck to a sedan for the first time).

My question to you guys is what are some other good options to look at since I'm lacking the time right now. I've always heard great things from BMW so I just went this direction but I don't want to make the wrong choice! I'm very open to cons on the 545 as well. I've read a little bit on the E500 and that looked nice as well.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to some advice,

Hunter D.
    I like the front comfort seats. Many say they are better than the sport seats.
    The upgraded stereo would be nice.
    Some people can't be without navigation and satellite radio. I didn't get either.
    You can go to "bmwusa.com" and "build" your 545i to your own specifications.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I am in agreement with hpowers, although we got the mapping and sirius sat as they were an the car....I would think a regular cruise control is nice, and if you further wanted to save a bit, not the park assist, as it is very slow too respond....The thing that we like the best is the drive..Responsive..In fact I have never felt a car that drives as nicely...Tony
    Can you still order an '05 545i? I assumed they were now taking orders for the new '06 550i...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good point.
    hunterd77 had better call his BMW dealer and ask whether orders are still being taken on the 2005 545i.
    The park distance control with graphic display is standard on the 545i, optional on the 525i and 530i.
    I'd buy a CPO M5 and stick the extra $$$ in a money market account to cover maintenance or unforseen expenses. Well, what I would REALLY do with the money is find a nice Henna M1-but I suspect you wouldn't want to go that route...
  • humphrey1humphrey1 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone seen an olivine 5 series?
    still haven't seen one
    i want something different, but still looks nice
    if you have seen the olivine, what did you think? i want to make sure it doesn't look like a minty green or other feminine color
    thanks
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Comfort is entirely subjective. If you are going to invest the money to buy a 545i, you really should find the time to test drive both types of seats. "Many" might prefer the comfort seats, but the rest of us like the sport seats better. Since only you know what feels good to you, how will you know if you don't try them out?
    Works on paper, but try and find a dealership that has any 545's on the lot with comfort seats.
  • ecloudecloud Member Posts: 4
    I have a 530xi and a Motorola V710 phone. The salesman paired it with the car through the Bluetooth connection. It took him just a few minutes. It did upload my address book and works beautifully. I can use the Voice Commands to dial numbers and answer calls. If the person calling is in my address book, their name appears on the screen with the option of accepting the call or not.

As to gas mileage mentioned in another post, I'm getting 21.1 in a combination of highway and city driving.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Try: e60.net and click on Information, then scroll down and click on Telephone User's Manual. You will find Bluetooth instructions there.

http://e60.net/information/

All the best!
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    Are you sure about this advice? We had an E39 (2000 528) and the comfort seats were just that--focused only on comfort. We just bought an E60 CPO (2004 530) and the comfort seats are much more like a cross between comfort and sport--it has the thigh extension and side bolstering of the sport seat, in addition to all the comfort features of the old comfort seats. Plus, both the thigh extension and side bolsters are power-adjustable, which means they are stored and restored by the key memory! I have a sport package 330i for myself, but the seats in my wife's 530 sport package are the greatest seats I've ever sat in...or at least a tie with the ventilated Saab 9-5 Aero seats in her previous car! :)
    Am I sure about what advice? To sit in both seats? What could it hurt?
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I notice that the disk that the dealer gave us is a bit outdated..Somehow while messing with the idrive it said a doate of 2001....As we just purchased this car I was wondering if there is a more up to date disk? Thanks Tony
    What am I writing in invisible ink?
    You won't find both seats!!!!
  • chrisg1chrisg1 Member Posts: 16
    I have seen the olivine green, once at the dealer's and just yesterday a 530 pulled up next to me at a stop light; it is very, very pretty and absolutely my favorite of all the colors. It looks a bit lighter than on the BMW website, a goldish/greenish color. I'm torn between Lexus GS and this car, I like this color the best of ALL car colors out there, don't think you can go wrong with this color, expecially with chrome rims!
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    Sorry, that was unclear. Have you personally sat in both seats or are you basing your opinion of comfort seats on the last generation? My point is that they used to be two completely different kinds of seats (comfort or sport) but that in the E60s, I think there are now sport seats and there are comfort sport seats--I don't think there's a non-bolstered, non-thigh-extensioned comfort-only seat--does that make more sense?
    Much better; thank you. (In fact, your first post answered the question I would have asked except that you got there first; I just didn't understand what you were asking me.) I have driven the e39 sport and nonsport (I don't remember whether the nonsport was a comfort or standard seat), and ridden in the e60 comfort seat. But my point was that you just don't know what feels good to you until you try it out. I would no sooner choose a seat that I had not sat in than buy a car I hadn't driven. There's a choice for a reason. If the sport seat is good enough, why shell out for the comfort seat? Worse, what if the comfort seat is uncomfortable? It's not like buying a pair of shoes that you can return if they hurt.

hpowders, down, boy. I read your post. There has to be a dealer somewhere who has the comfort seat (even if it's only a CPO); I can't be the only person who won't opt for it untested. And if I were buying, and I absolutely could not find one to try out, I would not choose it. That is one leap of faith I am not willing to take.
    I went to 3 BMW dealers and called many others. No comfort seats on the E60 on any dealer's lot.
    Overwhelmingly, the cars came with sports seats.
    If you want the comfort seats, you probably have to order the car without trying them first.
    I ordered my 545i this way.
    The comfort seats are fine.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    We just got (3 months) a new X3 6spd w/3.0 engine and sport pack, etc. The AWD BMW's are fantastic and with some 27 AWD cars under our collective belts here in Cincinnati, I can say: "don't leave home without AWD."

The largest BMW dealer in OHIO is here in Cincinnati (1300 cars per year).

The owner of the BMW Store's personal BMW was a 1988 325ix -- my wife bought it from him when it had about 9,000 mile on it.

That was then.

Today, the same owner of the BMW Store's personal car is a "decked out" BMW X3 6spd. Although we did not buy the dealer's personal driver, we configured ours to some $47K (which, oddly enough, is what the owner did -- and given that he could have any BMW he wanted, he said he chose the AWD BMW in 1988 and the AWD BMW in 2005 because they retain "all the good things about BMW's on dry pavement and they can also be used when the pavement is NOT dry" (he told us that all the electronic stuff is "no replacment for four driven wheels") -- of course my wife likes the four angels that come with BMW AWD.

The really good news is that you can get an AWD 3 or 5 WITH A STICK SHIFT!

My friends who own BMW's usually also own a "winter car" or jeep-like object and that is here in "moderate winter central," Cincinnati.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I took a new pre ordered 5 (the customer changed his mind) and it had the $1200 comfort seats. The salesrep said they were the "discomfort" seats -- I agree, I wouldn't take them if they paid me the $1200.

On the other hand, the sport seats in my wife's X3 are great. I also drove a 2005 530 with the "normal" seats. They were great.

I sat in a 2006 5 on the showroom floor with the "standard seats" they too were great. The comfort seats are supposed to do what? They have a bunch of power assists but no amount of twiddling could get my butt situated comfortably.

By comparison, my personal daily driver is a 2005 Audi A6 with the Premium Leather, standard, seats. They are very comfortable too.

The X3 seats may be the top seats, perhaps next to a new Audi S4 w/Recaro's that I sat in.

To each his/her own -- the Comfort Seats should be a no cost option, if you asked me -- and you didn't.

But beware, the comfort seat -- when the sales rep says he personally would never order those seats unless it was on a sold car (but he also said he does not order stick shifts or sport suspensions on cars that are not pre sold.)

Times have changed.
  • mp2mp2 Member Posts: 5
    I bought new 530i and have vibration on steering wheel , I have only 500 miles on the vehicle, delear replaced 3 sets of tires no fix yet, now they say it may be steering rack, who knows, I don't want them to replace parts on new vehicle, get me a dog on new car on order, any way anyone has same issues, please let me know.

I have active steering wheel but no sports suspension, due to fact another friend of mine has sports suspension, replaced 4 tires at 8500 miles, he has dunlops, so I did not order SS, has all other options, but NO SS,

MP
  • onebonsaiguyonebonsaiguy Member Posts: 7
    I was at the dealer last week and the ca advised me that I could still special order an 05 545 to this day! I was taken aback by that...I thought the 05 5 series special lease rates applied to cars on hand only and that no others were available. I would've added heads up display to the config of my car. Does anyone know if the firesale MF of .001 is still available for the 05 545's?
    Yes. The fire sale is still on. .0010 MF, 59% residual for 3 years, 36,000 miles. 57% residual for 3 years, 45,000 miles.
  • prodmngrprodmngr Member Posts: 13
    I know this is a pretty subjective color, but would appreciate any feedback you have on which exterior color works best with the Auburn interior. I'm leaning towards Black Sapphire Metallic, but also thought Auburn might look good with Silver Gray metallic or Titanium Silver. The dealer says I can order it with any of these exterior colors. Any pros/cons on the different combinations? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Is Auburn a reddish interior.. rust or maroon?

If so, it will look great with any of the silver/gray/black family... but, especially with the Black Sapphire....

If it is more brown/rust, then I'd stick with Silver Gray or Black.... If it has more red, like the interior they used to offer in the 3-series, then I might go with Silver.. One thing for sure... It can't look bad against the black, no matter which way it is..

Just on a personal note, I'm not sure I'd pick a Silver BMW... They look great, but there are a million of them...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Believe me, the Ti Ag is a breeze to keep clean. It hardly shows any dirt.
    That's why there are a lot of them.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    After my black CLK and a succession of other black cars, my "Ti Ag" 530 has weaned me off of anything dark! Although, the black sapphire/auburn e60 is stunning and could win me back to the dark side ;-)
    You got that right! In fact, the car shines so much that the brake dust on the rims stands out like a sore thumb. :P