Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Hi you all,

It was really a joy to read this group. Believe it or not I have read all the messages in this and other Mazda groups with a total of more than 4000 postings. I noticed experts like javadoc, tboner and of course our Resale Value expert rutger3 :-)

After reading all those messages you all seem to me like a family. Finally, because I just bought new 2002 Mazda MPV ES I decided to join this discussion.

From reading earlier posts I remember someone mentioned CD changer bug. Unfortunately I have to tell you that you still cannot play at random all disks. Just one at the time and you have to change them manually. I traded in VW Passat with CD changer and in that car I could play all disks at random. It worked like that. First disk played at random until all tracks were played. Then another disk and another until all disks played. Once all disks played then tracks were selected at random from any disk.

My Mazda MPV in Sage Green Metallic is absolutely great. The options I have are roof rack, sunroof, cd changer with cassette player, cargo net, fog lights, and custom carpet. I have tested both 2001 and 2002. In my opinion 2001 has plenty of power. I was tempted to buy 2001 with incentives but I opt for 2002 under S plan. I couldn't get 2001 under S plan because the dealer who was participating in this program did not have 2001 anymore with sunroofs.

The only problem so far I have with "rotten eggs smell". I remember few people earlier had the same problem. I can only smell this if I am idling and the car is stopped. I am on my third full tank of gas. First one was filled by a dealer. Then I filled with MOBIL and now with Chevron premium. It seems that the smell goes away now but I was wondering if anybody found the real solution???? Since quite a few people encounter this problem with Mazda's earlier models I am really surprised that this issue hasn't been fixed in 2002 models.

MB
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    If we're all family, who gets to be the uncle that nobody wants to talk about? (muhahaha)

Re: resale values... fwiw, trade on my 2000 LX is about $15k after almost 3yrs of ownership, so I'm told. Not bad since I paid $23k for it.

Re: your egg smell, our van hasn't ever done this thankfully, but my Volvo is extremily sensitive to what brand of fuel I put into the tank. It seems that only Texaco, from one particular station by my mil's house (an inde-station that advertises "NO MTBE"), works consistantly at running w/o stinkiness. Every time my wife fills up the Volvo, she goes to "whatever is convenient" and it always comes home stinking like you know what, and I cringe since she puts "regular" in it (it needs 93oct). So, I guess, trial and error is your best method on the egg smell there, partner.

/j
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    don't know why, just did (feeling goofy that day as usual !), but not in the way you mean Java ;)

I thought I remember reading something about the catlytic converters on some of the new MPV's making the rotten egg smell because they were new and needed to burn-in (so to speak).

SC
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Welcome! Our 01 LX has never had your problem... we use Speedway/Super America fuel in our van, no Texacos in the State of Ohio. Once, I put BP in our van, and it ran lousy. I believe RJ aka "the Prez" had this problem when his van was new.

Hard to believe your read all those posts, you need to get a life, just kidding:) Mike, keep in touch and post often.

Many happy and safe miles!

Pjd58
    Where is RJ these days? I hope all is well w/him.

/j
    Funny thing is that I have read all those posts after I bought the Mazda. While I was reading I was getting happier and happier that I didn't buy Odyssey or Sienna. I have tried Highlander but I and my wife we don't like Toyotas. We had two Toyotas before and it turned out they were two worst cars we have owned. Highlander's handling (the dealer priced it at $39k - limited edition) is not even close to MPV's handling.

MB
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    So, I've been regulated to the "Uncle" status.
    Java, Scarter: I'll be visiting you with the soccer team - send me your address's. :))

"Red '01" still draws looks. Shame they eliminated that color in '02. Still zero problems @ 23K miles.
    OK, I won't mention the ashtry...
    Come to think of it, I am an Uncle - 24 times! Married into a large family of rabbits I think.
    ... I guessed you right after all! WOW! 24 times huh? Only 2 times here. Actually, my *Great* (in many ways) Uncle Bob from Louisville, KY was prolly more of where that came from.

Yeah, too bad they discontinued "Teal" for '02 as well, tho that means there won't be many more around I 'spose besides mine.

RE: Ashtray - Give it up Bob! The habit, that is! I agreed not to smoke in either car when we got our MPV 'cause it really trashes the inside :( So far, so good .....

SC
    Steve... Bob's threatening me!!! Waaaaa...

I could use some MPV visitors up here. June's better (for fishing) than messy March, but wife says no visitors in June this year... she wants to enjoy the sun on the deck w/o interruption. (reqcon) My neighbor w/an '01 LX has no appreciation of what a nice van she owns, despite my efforts, lol. You'll have to drive a bit to get here though, and the soccer team may get testy after the first few days. You can make some good time on those straight stretches in the Yukon Territory, just watch out for the Mounties.

Lol on the ashtray comment (come on, let's hear it anyway).

/j
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    and reading more term papers than writing. Besides, seems every time I come up with a clever riposte to something on the board, somebody--usually you, Java--beats me to it. The curse of not having a computer in my classroom to chat with you guys who use your God-given work hours to browse the net (hey, the kids would be just as happy if I spent my time browsing the net rather than afflicting their young lives with the dubious joys of grammar).

To the point, I'm still afflicted with "Stinkyvan" syndrome, unless I'm choosy about my gas. If I fill it at my local, look out world, The Prez ranks as a weapon of mass disgust. On the other hand, if I fill it at the Sunoco station on the way to work, what comes out of the tailpipe is so inviting that people stop and smell the violets as I drive by.

And while I'm here,let me take a moment to share something weird that happened to the Prez this week. We were going down the street in our accustomed stately fashion (decidedly stately--I'm pushing 60 and The Prez is, after all, The Prez). Suddenly, it was as if the leash broke. The Prez surged ahead (well, "surged" might be a bit strong--we're talking MPV here). It felt spritely! When I stepped on the gas, it no longer thought about it for a second or so; it just did it. And it's been that way ever since. Honest to God, I'm getting a "zoomzoom" feeling when I drive it, something that was never there before. I haven't timed it, but I'd swear that the 0-to-whatever time is down by a couple of seconds.

Do you think somebody (the MPV Fairy?) snuck into my garage one night and secretly replaced the 2.5 with a 3.0? It sure feels like it.

Not that I"m complaining, mind you.

RJ

PS. An uncle 24x, huh, Bob? Piker! I'm a great uncle eleven times over. My nieflings have been busy busy busy!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    are live today with good cheer.

RJ, are you sure you didn't hook up some little blue bottles for street racing your students?
    Lol.
    If I thought it would have done any good, I'd have tried it. I mean, I loved that van, but it could have lost a race to a spavined turtle.

RJ
    Does anyone have got installed

wind deflector for sunroof

I would love to do that and any

word of advice I'll appreciate.

MB
    Hey RJ! Missed you around here. I'm going w/Malt's guess... little blue bottles of mischief were the source of your zippiness. Honestly, I've noticed that sometimes. It's as if the brain for the tranny wakes up and says, "let 'er rip!"

I don't know about the rest of the cards around here, but I'll maintain that I get work done... I'm just adept at the "Alt-Tab" key sequence. lol

If it weren't for the kookiness of some of our participants (not me, of course), they'd have frozen this topic for lack of use me thinks.

Bob, you know... I just realized that Scarter and I have the same name. That could be why you feel ganged up on, hmmm? When should I expect you and the soccer team? I'll have to thaw some salmon and halibut out.

/j
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Does getting your MPV smacked twice in two months count as a problem??

First time was in the passenger door. It's going in Monday for that repair.

The second time is today someone rearended the wifey. Totalling the lift door and likely the bumper. Insurance is going to kill me!

I need to stay inside today.

Ohh I took the MPV in on Tuesday for the hardddd shifting tranny. They argreed that it shifted hard but I was told that I should have changed the fluid at 30k. I pointed out to them that the manual says nothing about a service for the transaxle at 30k. They showed me their "special" service schedule for our area! HA changing the plugs at 30K I don't think soo. Anyways they went ahead and did their service of the tranny and it helps some but it still shifts harder than my 68 Mustang. Then when the bill came, they told me it my wife it was $150 bucks! I asked them about the $65 coupon I was holding and they said see where it says slightly higher!!! Somehow our definitions of slightly were not matching up. I called Mazda, they were great about it. They offered to pay me $50 rebate towards whatever the dealer charged. I wiggled the dealer down to $113. So I was in the ball park. But, by the time I picked it up the final bill was $66 which by all definitions can be considered slightly higher. I thinkg the Mazda CS guy called them before I arrived!!

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking too it. If you want to hear about my Mustang Saga today you will have to go to:

www.vintage-mustang.com in the forums section

Look for terrible day in the neighborhood post

I am heading for the recliner.

• mtnbkrmtnbkr Member Posts: 5
    '02 MPV looks good to me; now, where should I buy one in the Puget Sound region?
  • ok2ok2 Member Posts: 3
    We have had our 2000 MPV for over 2 years and have over 36,000 miles on it. Gas mileage continues to be very poor. We average about 15-16 around town, which is usually about half freeway and about 20 on the highway. We live in California where we have the MTBE additive and I do believe that it reduces MPG by about 10%. But this is still much worse than the Pontiac van that we replaced. It was still getting about 18 MPG around town with 96,000 miles on it when we sold it. The dealer says that nothing is wrong with the van so the only conclusion is that it is poorly engineered. The MPV is very underpowered and never should have been brought to market with an engine that was designed to power a much smaller car. The MPV has many virtues but all of them together do not make up for the very poor engine. If the engine was really fine, why has Mazda put a 3.0L 200 HP engine in the new ones? I am sure many will disagree but that is how we feel about our MPV experience.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I would rather hear these arguments from someone who tried it than the naysayers who dismiss the MPV because it doesn't measure up to some third party reviewer.

Honestly, given the choice in 2000, I'd have chosen a 3L over the 2.5L. However, this choice was not available.

I've never really concerned myself too much with fuel economy because fuel (even in Southern California) is the cheapest thing you'll put in your van.

The Duratec 2.5L is a wonderful engine in cars, but only does ok in a van.

I suspect the reason for the MPV 2.5L engine was due in part to production capacity. Probably every 3L Duratec was being used in the Taurus/Sable, believe it or not, the 3L Lincoln LS shares a similar, if not the SAME engine block as well as the newly arriving Escape/Tribute and the baby Jag coming out.

With the Contour/Mystique being discontinued and Europe preferring (for fuel and tax reasons) the 4 cylinder Mondeos over the more expensive V6, there was probably an excess capacity of 2.5L engines. Not to mention lackluster Cougar sales.

So it was probably an accounting decision instead of an engineering one.

I really don't think the 2.5L MPV is dangerously slow.

I do believe GM makes some of the best bigger fuel efficient power plants. Fords in my experience have not been as efficient as other makes.

I have a 3.8L 1987 Buick LeSabre that has reached 31 MPG during highway cruise. I believe GM uses a "lean burn" strategy during cruise that gives you three to four minutes of lean operation with one minute of slightly rich.

Gobs of low end torque make it easier for engineers to use gearing to keep the engine turning low revs.

I do suspect some more agressive programming of the MPVs PCM (powertrain control module) would net higher fuel economy.

I find the MPV relatively effortless on the highway (other than the high revs which don't bother me) compared to the 3.8L pushrod engines of GM, Ford and DC since it tends to breath even better at higher RPMs. The bigger pushrod engines seem to run out of breath.

I think it comes down to driving style and preferences. High revs really don't bother me, so I don't get nervous when I see the tach turning 4K+. Not to mention, the engine doesn't sound course at those high revs. The 3.8L in my Buick at 4K sounds like it will shake itself apart.

What would make my MPV perfect? A stick shift :D

TB
    Very well put TB. I agree, I'd rather hear this from an owner than someone sitting on the sidelines. Thank you for your input ok2!

ok2, we have to use MTBE from Oct 1 to April 1 and I immediately notice a 2-3 mpg drop in fuel economy on the MPV as soon as I burn through the first tank in the fall. This may explain your lower economy since you're using Cali-fuel.

/java
    The mpg in my '01 seems to be improving. Now that might be due to my better experience with the transmission (I feel the shifting better from stops and feather it better) or the soccer games are getting further away and my highway driving increased. Either way, I'm getting 24mpg with 75~80% (now) highway usage. Then again, I quit racing the Ody's off the line at stoplights....

Msgjvh: Bummer - do you live in Houston? The MPV has gotten me out of several "butt squeezing" situations with it's maneuverability with some (many) idiots here.
    Scarter: Been talking to my wife again..?! :))
    Java: That's smoked salmon - right?
    ...whatever, I gotz smoked, fillet'd and steaks, silver, red and King...(reqcon) all carted back from the boat or river in MochaVan. :-)

/j
    Java is enticing me & I'm the one who rates eating as next to something else - which I forget what it was... So blame him - I'm just an innocent poster here....
    Ooook - content; Had a couple of soccer referres eyeballing "Red" today and my wife stopped me, as the gleem came across my face, from bouncing over to the parking lot acting like an MPV salesman. She didn't exactly say it that way....more like "Sitdown"!

Ok, that's a MPV problem, right? Matrimonial disharmony caused by fanatical MPV owner? Huh? Guys?
    I need help...
    OMG! What two kids and wifey can do to the interior of a vehicle is simply unconscionable! I won't go into the gory details, except maybe for the lollipop embedded in the second-row floor mat, YUCK! Anyway, while I was vacuuming about two wheelbarrow loads of beach sand, I noticed that the tracks for the side-by-slide seat were replete with rubbish. I remember a while back someone mentioning that they used tape to cover the tracks. That's a good idea. I probably would use the clear packing type; masking and duct tape tend to become permanent if left on too long. Does someone have any other creative solutions out there?

Yes Bob, I would consider marital discord over the MPV a problem worthy of posting. Oh, but I forgot ... just don't do it from work ;) Hey RJ ... I you really want to see American productivity at it's best, cruise on over to the Roadside Cafe board!

SC
    I too am a SoCal dweller and find that mileage leaves something to be desired. I am pretty sure it is the gas we run. On a road trip to Washington we noticed a sharp increase in fuel economy. I saw numbers around 25 on the highway(we are lucky to get 21 on Cali-only highway trips). Around town back home my wife gets about 17-18 which sucks but is not as bad as my sister's Excursion. :)

We should be getting an '02 MPV sometime this summer, so I hope to see the mileage increase, but it really rests with the CARB(California air resources board).

As far as power goes, I still don't have a problem there. Maybe it's because we have 4 kids under 8. I did however feel the effects of loading the MPV with 450 sq.ft. of Pergo the other night. Oh well, that's what I get for leaving my P/U at home.'
    I you really want to see American productivity at it's best, cruise on over to the Roadside Cafe board!

I resemble that remark!
    I'll worm this into on-topic somehow, but I've always wondered if the decreased per-gallon emissions of MTBE-laden fuel is offset by the increased fuel consumption. So, here anyway, they charge you 20% more for winter gas, and your economy drops by 10-20... so the real winner is who? Is that a 50% increase in monthly fuel bill, or is my math wrong...again? Does it decrease emissions, or just increase profits? Think about all the extra options you could get on your MPV w/the vast (ack) savings in fuel! ;-) I know I'll get the smack-down for dragging it that far off on a tangent (covers head).

/java
    We are seeing some major increases in the cost of gas. This morning's news program chalked it up to short supply as they change over to Summer formulated gas. Does that mean it should come back down? One would think that they could employ statisticians and the like to figure out how to keep a stable supply.
    Statisticians would just cost more and raise the cost of the fuel more, lol! Our local news crew was reporting similar news... and siting a rebounding economy (more MPVs sold...content) as another reason. Uh, right. I know how much fuel is in the tank farm down at the port.

/j
    It's all over the place, fellas. Gas in Western Pa. has gone up $.15 in the last two weeks. And they're giving the same story here as they are elsewhere--switchover to summer gas, increased driving [more MPV's on the road, I guess], etc. I wonder who their accountants are. Arthur Anderson maybe?

SC--I don't think I want to check out the Roadside Cafe. I have a very low depression threshhold.

RJ
    Arther Anderson doesn't/didn't have many oil clients. Deloitte & Touche and KPMG do . It's a conspiracy against (content...) MPV owners and our mpg ratings I tell you!

/j
    Hi you all,

I am glad to report that the smell is gone. By javadoc advise I changed the gas station and most likely that did it. I have now 750 miles on the odometer and for past week I didn't smell any rotten eggs. I almost used to this smell and I sort of miss it now :-) By any chance does anyone know if they make air frashner with rotten eggs scent?

MB
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Why look for a freshener that immitates rotten egg smell? Why not just get an egg, put it in the glove box and in a week you have the real thing... And it must be much cheaper... lol
    You foiled my plan to get rich off of mazda_guy! Curses! I was all set to market my new "rotten egg" air freshener, followed up by sweaty gym sock and the grand finale.... pampers (ahem)!

/j
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Your pampers idea reminded me of one thing. Some time ago in a store I saw a roll of toilet paper with label on it saying "Toliet paper. Clean". I just wondered who would need "used" toilet paper? Now I think I can understand :-)
    I should add (a bit of cya) that I was in no way promoting my products in my previous post for or against my own personal gain. Heheheheh, I'm evil when I have too much java.

Alex, very funny!

/j
    Alex, when I place an egg in my glove compartment should I place it in one piece or first crush it?

Javadoc, you are bad.... I wan't eat dinner tonight :-))

MB
    Java:
    Canceling my trip for the smoked salmon....
    You mean you're NOT supposed to keep eggs in the glove compartment? Geez, that explains so much!

RJ
    ...just STINKS!!!! come on, you knew that was coming!

All this effort trying to figure out what smells rotten in McKinley-mark and it's a carton of AA Large? ROFL

/java-snuck-the-content-in-anyway-doc
    Maybe you're right - dump the MPV headings entirely. The MPV board should all move to AOL Instant Messenger so we wouldn't clutter Edmunds so much with all these "problems".

Has anyone noticed a small draft somewhere around the key slot or slightly above when all A/C & heat is off?
    Not major (or even minor) but refraining from the "other" :)) problem...
    I think AIM'ing would decrease revenues from advertisers. Besides, if you thought I was unproductive now, think about if there were a rubust community of MPVers IMing each other all day! Maybe I should hire an assistant if that happens? hahaha Besides.. real geeks use ICQ

I've felt these small drafts in just about every car before... but mostly where the door opening lever was on the door, not around the ignition key (that's where you're talking about, right?)

/javadoc
    Yes, around the ignition key - real slight. Feel funny about posting that but only content I could come up with. Doesn't really bother me except when that JAVA cold air comes to us South Texas boys.
    That does bring up something else - ever try to put the key in there in a hurry? The very first time I ever started it my forehead was laying on the dash with the shift lever in my eye looking for the ignition switch. They hid that slot pretty well.

My daughter is almost at the age to start driving now (panic). The school wants a million dollars (or about) to have their driver training classes for each student. We decided I would start her myself with lessons in the MPV. I'm using it as a con at the moment - posting a sign on the dash that says "All underaged drivers must wash the van once a week".
    Why can't they put the key in the correct place, on the LEFT side of the steering column, on the dash, like real (Porsche 911) cars?!? Or better yet, between the seats like other real (Saabs) cars? lol! Isn't the key spot lit? Maybe it's to reduce DUIs because it's more difficult to find the ignition?

I'll have to pay attention to see if there's a draft by the key hole. I'll point the weather machine down there to the THIRD largest state in the union (if you cut Alaska in half) so you can test the draft out again.

/j
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    I know I'm about a week late in responding to a couple posts here, but I don't feel the least bit guilty about rejecting the previous engine based on third party reviews and a limited test drive. Sure, I would have preferred a month long test drive to see how I really felt about the 2001 MPV engine, but hard as it may be to believe, no one was offering that option.

Would I have felt better if I had shelled out $25,000+, and then found I really didn't like the engine? I don't think so.

The cost of certainty was too high. Sometimes it's better to learn from other people's experience. The reviews were consistent enough, at least among those who don't love every car they review, to be taken seriously. Could I have been wrong? Maybe, but I'm glad I waited for the 2002. Given a similar situation in the future, I'd still value the opinion of some of the people that review cars for a living.
  • nikandnecnikandnec Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know anyone in the los angeles area that rents mpvs. i would like to rent one for a weekend before i buy.
    thanks
    Hertz rents MPVs out of John Wayne Airport, but when I tried (last year) they were out when I showed up at the airport. Your best bet is to call them and see.

/java
    (Dramatization warning!)

My wife came home last night... DW=Darling Wife; DH=Devilishly Handsome, ahem, Darling Husband. Names changed to protect the innocent.

DW: Did you fix that clunk?
    DH: (mutes TV) What clunk?
    DW: The clunk I told you about.
    DH: Uh-huh (not really listening, as usual)
    DW: Well, I still hear it, so you didn't fix it.
    DH: Are you sure? I remember tightening the bolt.
    DW: Well, there's definitely a clunk.
    DH: Did you remove the stroller and see still hear it?
    DW: (Awkward silence...)
    DH: Uh-huh (resumes watching WRC on SpeedChannel)

Can anyone help me with my "Problem?" LOL! Is that problem enough, RJ? :-)

/j
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I could have sworn I just heard a clunk all the way down here.

Sounded surprisingly like a vase clunking against someone's head....
    Hard to tell though - some guy was ringing my doorbell with a load of pizza's at the same time.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    At least you got pizza - all I got was cold air..
    :))
This discussion has been closed.