Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Just got rear ended tonight by a Benz CLK. (I have a 2001 530.) Looks as if the bumper took all the impact and saved the body. I was stopped for a pedestrian on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica when the guy plowed into me. My bumper is cracked in many places and is pushed downward due to the slanted front of the Benz. The bright side in all this is that maybe the pedestrian's life was saved by my car getting hit. I am pretty sure this other guy would have plowed right through him. Hopefully I'll get my treasured 5 series back in shape asap.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Did anybody read the autoweek article a few weeks ago about that really old 5er. Pretty excellent car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Wow, there's a lot of that going around! Same thing happened to me last Tuesday, only the saving grace in my case is that I (and the car that hit me) had been stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, I couldn't go because a pedestrian had stepped off the curb into the crosswalk, but the driver behind me was a little more impatient than all that and she plowed right into me. The impact was pretty impressive, and I cringed thinking about what I was going to find back there. But...the bumper did quite a job. Obvious damage was minimal. OTOH, later that day my DSC and brake lights came on and stayed on, and while I was driving at highway speeds the car decided it wanted to brake...even though my foot was on the accelerator. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since, but I have told the insurance company that there is possible electrical damage as a result of the crash, and that I intend to get it checked out. Unfortunately, I'm now in a waiting game with them because the other party hasn't answered their call verifying the crash.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. The pedestrian surely owes his life to the bumper and the car's rigidity. Hope you get your bimmer back soon.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My wife's E39 has been rear-ended FIVE times since 2002; each time she was stopped at a light or waiting in a line of stopped traffic(yes, her brake lights work). One moron was looking for a dropped cigarette-and he had no insurance, of course-while the most recent doofus was playing with his car radio. Yet another imbecile let his foot slip off the clutch. The only good thing is we have an excellent body shop, so the sled still looks and drives great-but I'd hate to see the Carfax report... :mad:
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    but I'd hate to see the Carfax report...

You'd be surprised at what CarFax does not show.....
    Sorry to hear about your impact. I just got back from the body shop with an estimate of $1200. Glad you mentioned your electrical problem. I have noticed that since the accident the left rear door doesn't want to open up from the inside using the handle. It will open from the outside and the remote key will lock and unlock the button. Strange. I'll have the body shop check it out.
    Hope you get some action in your case soon. I don't know if the guy who hit me has reported it yet, but I did all I could from my end.
    Thanks, dabimmer. The part I really hate is having to drive anything other than my car.(as in rental) Nothing compares!
    And I thought I was unlucky with three rear ends! All mine have been at stops too. The first was in 2001 when a mother was reaching for her baby in the back seat. I had had the car about a month. The guy in the second hit was tired and let go of his brakes. Then this one. I ran a Carfax on my own car once and it showed the first 2 hits.
    I want to ask you a question. The body shop mentioned that my exhaust pipe was scratched with blue paint in some spots. The car that hit me was blue. He said it would be expensive to replace (What do I care if the other guy pays?) or he could repair the scratches. What would you recommend? Do I need to worry about rust if it is just a repair? Or should I think about replacing it? Am I looking for more trouble than it's worth by insisting on replacing it?
    One of the hits took out the muffler, but it was actually dented. As for your muffler, I doubt that the scratches will affect the longevity of the exhaust. Still, I'd want to make darn sure that nothing else in the exhaust system was damaged. My 1988 M6 took a light hit just before I bought it; the whole system from the headers back was tweaked. The final bill was north of $5000. The culprit's adjuster almost had a stroke... :P
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I ALWAYS watch who is pulling up behind me. And I leave extra space in front of me to either escape or go forward (depending on the situation). Haven't been rear ended in YEARS (since my father in law stopped short of a stop sign and the lady behind us didn't pay attention).

Glad everything has been mainly bumper related and hope all the gremlins are exorcised.

-Paul
    Two of the hits involved idiots who hit a car behind the 5er. On was two cars back, the other FOUR cars back.
    not much you do at that point. Glad your wife and car are both OK now...

I need to ask you some questions offline about BMWCCA. Is there a way for me to contact ya?

-Paul
    Congrats on your good fortune. However, there is not much one can do other than watch the guy hit you when you are the lead car in the fast lane stopped at a crosswalk with people in it.
    But even as the lead car I keep some space between me and line so I have some go-forward room if necessary. It won't stop somebody not paying attention and not stopping, but for those that are stopping, but not gauging distance properly.

-Paul
    Use wackykt@hotmail.com. It's my spam address but then I'll be able to give you my "real" one.
    Mail on the way.

-Paul
    from Calif to CO,NV, NM, UT and back again a couple weeks ago. The car was superb as has been the case for almost 5 years on this 5er (2001). Crossed over 33,000 miles and did exceptionally well on gas. Spent about $460 on gas round trip. Best mileage was 31.1mpg and worst in mountains 28.0 mpg. Still have original Pilot Primacys but will install new P2's from Tire Rack soon. Never thought I'd get that kind of wear from The Primacys but they have been a great ride and still look like new.I just can't say enough about the car and the way it handles, rides,scoots. Wish I could find another car equal to it but that will be difficult.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    If you've got 33K miles on your four-year-old car, I can see why you're so pleased with your 4200 mile road trip.

Welcome to my world. I've run through 12K/12 month (this was awhile ago) warranties within five months of purchase. Now I only accumulate 12-15K miles per year, but put 6-8K miles on business-related rentals.

Driving a fine car the way it was meant to be used is indeed a pleasure.

Enjoy!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Sounds like it was a great ride! I replaced my Primacys at 33K miles as well. At that mileage they looked good and performed well but had become noisy especially at slow speeds. Are you hearing any noise? Like a low drone? I really noticed the difference when I got a new set. I love the last comment in your post. When the rental guy was trying to locate a car comparable to my four year old 5er while it is in the shop, he had a hard time finding one. In fact he didn't. Had to settle on an Infiniti FX35. Here's to hoping that my car is fixed fast!
    Thanks to you and cdnph (I can't bring myself to write...pinhead...for the kind thoughts and comments. I am noticing a drone at low speeds especially when I come to a stop sign but it isn't bothersome. A new set of tires will take care of that. It's funny you should mention how hard a selection is even for a rental car. When I bought this one 5 years ago in Dec. it was going to be a car to hold on to for 3 years or so. When the 3 years were up I couldn't part with it. What would I get that is better? A Lexus, a Mercedes Benz, an Infinity??? Maybe the E60...... couldn't then and still can't feel the way I do my great E39. Oh well, that is Life. So I'm stuck with this fabulous car that does everything I want and need. That said, I really like the new 3er.... hmmmm maybe a nice replacement for the Civic EX which is the family everyday workhorse. Now that is a great thought.
    :D
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I could not part from my E39 after the 3-year lease was up either. Nothing in its price point compares.
  • aam1aam1 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2002 530i automatic with 60,000 miles on it. I purchased the car new and have since been performing routine/suggested maintenance. With the car back from the 60,000 miles service, I wanted to ask the forum members what can I do, in addition to the manufacturer suggested maintenance, to increase its mechanical life. Also, how many miles can I reasonably expect to get out of this car before it is time to move on. Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. In addition to AT, the car has PP, SP, CWP, and xenon lights.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I, too, have the late model e39 disease :D My 2003 will stay with me at lease end in Dec/Jan. Although I can see myself in the new e60 530, it ain't enough to move me out of this car, which has the SP pkg and everything except nav.

It's barely broken in, by German standards, and I will most likely extend the BMW warranty and walk away with a fabulous car. Where else could I buy such a car at my residual price point?
  • layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Folks,

I would really appreciate some feedback on this one:

I have a 2002 530i with about 25k miles on it. I've decided I'd really like a car with Sat radio and navigation, as well as AWD. I've driven both the 525xi and 530xi and really could not tell a difference in horsepower/performance. Especially over my current 530... Granted, the test drive was mainly on residential streets, but tough to discern any real difference. So, my first question is... Is the 530i worth the extra money? Long term will I regret going with the 525i? My driving is about 60% highway 40% local.

Also, what can I expect to get on my 530i (cold weather, xenons) as a trade in.(I live in NJ) Finally... What is considered a good deal on the 525xi and 530xi with Nav and sat?

Many, many thanks in advance for any guidance....
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    I've been debating w myself when to change the ATF and trans ffilter on my E39 '00 5281A. If you believe the manual and the dealers it never needs to be changed! I find that hard to believe and plan to D&F at my Insp II service which comes due @ 72K.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

lovemyclk, if you decide to CPO the car, check my post #1215 on the prices paid forum. The info is almost a year old, but will give you an idea of how far a little negotiation will get you in purchasing the car at a very reasonable price.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Thanks much... will do!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Here is a link

One of my favorite posts!!

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aam1aam1 Member Posts: 26
    According to my car's manual (2002 E39), ATF is changed at the 100K service along with the oxygen sensor. I am not sure about the transmission filter, but my guess would be that it is also changed when the ATF is changed.
    Thanks kyfdx, but much of the credit also goes to the people posting on these forums who educated me on the process.
    I changed the fluid on my 1997 at 99K miles, and I understand that Munich now calls for a change at 100K miles. My car has the four speed GM unit that was fitted up to 8/99 so I only have to pay for Dexron III; the dealer charged me just$110 to change the ATF and the final drive oil. Having said all that, many of the techs I trust recommend changing the ATF fluid in the 60K-80K mileage range, so it looks like you'll be in good shape. Since you have the five speed GM slushbox try not to stroke out when they tell you how much the special BMW/Texaco fluid costs... :sick:
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Thanks Div

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    I am trying to determine whether the "Premium" Logic7 sound system in my 2006 530xi can play MP3 CDs. The manual says YES, but when I tried to do so I could not get either the in-dash single CD player OR the glovebox-mounted 6-CD changer to play MP3 CDs. Please help if you know the definitive answer.

Also, I sent in a "Priority Customer Email" to BMW Customer Service via the BMW Owner's Circle SIX WEEKS AGO with this same question. Six weeks later, BMW is STILL researching the answer to this ridiculously simple question: "Does my new BMW play MP3 CDs or not?". Apparently BMW has to "research" whether a car that they built supports a feature that the manual says it supports!!

Here is the exact verbatim text from CustomerService@bmwusa.com:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for your frustration and for the delay. I know this seems like a simple question, but actually has, in fact required some research. Please rest assured that when a definitive answer is available, it will be provided to you immediately.

Sincerely,

(Name withheld to protect the innocent)
    Customer Relations and Services
    Representative
  • rainmaker2rainmaker2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and found it extremely helpful. I'm looking to purchase an 06 530 and have been going over options I want. I was told by a friend that the rear side air bags may be a problem, stating that if you have small children in the back it could injure them. I don't have kids now but would hope to at some point during the lifespan of having the car. So for now, I'd mainly be transporting adults in the back.

I did a search on these forums for air bags and gained some insight, but I'm still a little bit unclear. Why is it any more dangerous for a child to be hit with an airbag than an adult? I could envision adults sleeping with their heads against the side as well. Wouldn't this cause injury as well? Do the airbags deploy from the side panel? Or from above the window? If I do choose to get the airbags, is it possible to deactivate them at a later time if I have children?

Can anyone also please comment on active steering? Is it a worthwhile option? It's listed as a separate option in Edmunds, but if I get the Sport package, it should be included, correct?
    Airbags can be dangerous to small children no matter what car and where they are located in the car. The reason for this is the size and speed at which they expand. For a small individual, this force can just be too powerful. Most documentation advises at least 80 lbs for exposure to airbags.

Regardless, since most people now know enough to put kids in the rear seats, you need to consider that when looking at rear side airbags. Remember, though that all of this is not exclusive to BMW... the rule applies to all cars.
    So...I get a call that my 530 is ready to be picked up. (It had been rear ended and needed a new bumper. The floor pan also needed to be fixed.) I turn in the rental, get a ride to the body shop only to be told then and there that the newly applied OEM bumper has a "wave" look to it. Basically it does not have a clean line against the line of the body of the car. "This happens once in a great while" I get told. I told the guy it was unacceptable. I want a new defective-free bumper. He says that BMW won't take the defective bumper back. Now the insurance co. is trying to figure out what to do. Has anyone experienced BMW not taking back a defective product it manufactured? Is there someone higher up the chain of command that I should contact? I also wonder at what point the body shop knew the bumper was wavy. Comments from anyone with body work experience would be appreciated.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Can anyone also please comment on active steering? Is it a worthwhile option? It's listed as a separate option in Edmunds, but if I get the Sport package, it should be included, correct?

Active steering is now a stand-alone option and no longer included with the sport package. If you haven’t done so already, I suggest driving it because it’s only worthwhile if you like it. Personally, I hate it.
    My 5er had the same problem, but my bodyshop took some high density foam and corrected the fit.
    In your opinion has the foam fix held up over time? That's what I am most concerned about if the insurance co. decides to repair the bumper instead of getting a new one.
    It still looks good as new. In my case the insurance company guaranteed the repairs for life, so it will be their problem if the fix ever does go wonky.
    Yeah, definitely drive a car with active steering before you'd buy one..... Completely different steering feel than the typical BMW feel.
  • rainmaker2rainmaker2 Member Posts: 14
    Great idea. I think I'll go in this week to try driving a car with one. In the brochure, it seems like all it is a super-duper power steering. Seems like that it would take some getting used to. I'd probably turn the wheel too much and make the car do a 180!

In regards to the air bags, anyone else have thoughts on whether or not they're truly needed? Is it a lot of trouble to get them deactivated in the future should I have kids?
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    I purchased a 530xi recently and will be carrying anywhere from one to three kids in the rear at any given time. I wanted the rear side airbags but the dealership said that BMW will ship the car with the side airbags DEactivated and that they will require me to sign a waiver if they activate them at at the dealership. I still wanted to get the airbags for activation in the future, so right now I have the rear side airbags but have not activated them yet while my kids are still too young for them.
    My opinion is: Put the kids in high quality strong child seats (I use the Britax Marathon and the Britax Bodyguard booster) and they should be fine with the rear side airbags deactivated.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Just so anyone wondering about this knows, it is now possible (apparently) to get Bluetooth activated in all E60's regardless of the build date. It used to be that you had to spend about $2K to retrofit because you had to replace the TCU if your car was built before 9/2004 (or some said 3/2004), but now you can do it for $400 without replacing the TCU. Just FYI.
    it is more than just a super-duper power steering.

At slow speeds, a sharp turn may take only a quarter turn of the wheel. W/o active steering, you may turn a full cycle or more.

At high speeds, even less effort is required.

Having test driven some vehicles with the active steering, I really like it.

-Paul
    I took the 530 and 545 for test drives when my 3 was in for some service. The 530 didn't have it and the 545 did. I really liked how it drove, but that is just me and I don't drive autocross or things like that.

I wish I could have a 545 in the garage, or an M5. :D

-Paul
    The insurance co has decided to "make me whole" by replacing the wavy bumper with a new one. They will even pay for my rental. That made my day!
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    Congrats. Think of it this way: The insurance company paid the bodyshop to restore the car to factory condition and they didn't get what they paid for. If the bodyshop didn't correct the problem, it wouldn't be getting much future work from your insurance company.

Just my $.02.....JL
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Correction: Now that my car has actually been to the dealership to try to accomplish this, it can't be done without replacing the TCU on a pre-9/2004 production car. The $2K is certainly too much for me to justify spending just to have bluetooth.