Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    My wife saw some pics of the 08 5 series and she FINALLY likes the interior!!!!

Now if they offer a diesel with Barbera red...

-Paul
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    erickpl,

Were these the pictures on the BMW USA web site, or something else?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • dutch8dutch8 Member Posts: 4
    I am contemplating buying a 1995 530i with an auto trans that has 121000 miles and what I consider all the bells and whistles. The only BMWs I've owned were a 71 2002 and a 74 3.0cs. I haven't kept up on BMW issues concerning the newer cars. Can anyone enlighten me on any issues with the mid 90s 530i's and the 95 model year in particular? Thanks in advance for helping the new guy on the block
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    The '95 530i has a 3.0 litre V-8 engine (unlike the inline-6 from the later 530i models).

The mid-90s V-8s had a lot of problems with internal components (Nikasil cylinder liners?). Also, the auto trannys from that period were problematic.

I wouldn't touch this car, unless it was a one-owner with extensive service records. If all the repairs and fixes have been done, it could be a nice car. Otherwise, it could be a money pit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

They were in the current issue of the BMW magazine. Saw it at Border's books this past weekend.

But here is a shot I found... the doors are different, and it is using the shift lever from the new X5.

-Paul
    Thanks very much for the information kyfdx. I spoke to someone today that said the same thing about the trannys and to steer clear of the V8s. I've always liked the in-line sixes. Seems like an E28 in good shape might be the best way to go if one wants to have a Bimmer on a budget. Thanks again.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    "Bimmer" issue number 57, April, 2006, has a 1975-88 5 Series Buyers Guide article.
    They did offer a 6-cylinder that year.. the 525i.. Only 168 hp, if I remember correctly... Pretty nice rig, if you can find one with a stick..

Or.. look a little earlier in the '90s, and pick up a 535i with a stick... That is the big inline six.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks 530ir1150r, ordered that issue.
    Thanks kyfdx, Doesn't look like I'll get that article suggested by 530ir1150r from Bimmer mag real soon so what do you think of the earlier '90s automatics? If they are the same as the one in the '95 I'd better strongly consider going back to a stick. Thanks again
    I think any BMW automatic, up until the E39 might be trouble prone.. But, the E28 versions didn't have the bad reputation of the E34s...

Depending on the mileage, any early E34 will probably have already had the tranny rebuilt, by now... That wouldn't worry me nearly as much as one that was supposedly "trouble free", until now..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    528i = $44,300 MSRP with Auto Trans reflecting a price decrease of $475 over 525i
    528xi =$46,500 MSRP with Auto Trans reflecting a price decrease of $475 over 525xi
    535i = $49,400 MSRP with Auto Trans reflecting a price increase of $625 over 530xi
    535xi= $51,600 MSRP with Auto Trans reflecting a price increase of $625 over 530xi

I think this just made the job of choosing a 5 series easier.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    What about cars with manual transmissions?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I recall reading that this time 'round it's one price for both MT and auto. Could be wrong but I believe it was a BMW press release. Should be on their website if so. I'm too busy (lazy?) to look it up. ;-)
    That is true both the MT and AT will cost the same. BMW has figured that MT percentage sales is quite minuscule, and MT drivers are mostly enthusiast, and wouldn't mind paying the extra $1900 for the N54 engine.
    What, no 550i? :)

I'd sure love to see a 535d or something similiar.

-Paul
    There is a 550i. The reason why I did not post it was because there is no price increase to the base model.
    There is a price increase with the 550i sports package from $2800 to $4600, an increase of $1800. This is due to the inclusion of the M-aero kit and 19" tires with some other goodies.
    Expect the next 550i price increase with the new bi-turbo 4.4 litre V8 N64 engine. This is due in 2009 as a F10 MY2010 model.
    There will be a 535d, and a 635d. There is also a rumour of a 635i in the works.
    Hrm, I would think the 6 series a bit portly to find much benefit in 635i format, even with the TT. Now the diesel version... *drool*

-Paul
  • stratapropstrataprop Member Posts: 19
    I am a BMW enthusiast without much technical knowledge. I presently drive a 1997 BMW 540i with an automatic transmission (prefer automatic for work). I plan to purchase a new 5 series when then 2008 models come out.

Thus, I have three questions:

1. What is the difference (performance, 0-60 acceleration, torque, gas mileage) between the present 550i engine and the new engine due in 2009 as an F10 2010 model?

2. What do you think will be the difference (performance, 0-60 acceleration, torque, gas mileage) between the 2008 535i and the 2008 550i?

3. I drive with a heavy foot, as does my wife. My wife's Volvo XC-90 SUV (where we bought the 5 cylinder model instead of the V-8 in order to get better gas mileage and be ecologically friendly) gets only about 12-13 mpg for the 5 cylinder model due to our lead feet (as opposed to 18-24 as advertised). My mechanic has told me that this is due to the way we drive - quick acceleration making the engine less efficient. The V-8 gets about 18-20 mpg. Given all this information (I know, TMI), will the gas mileage difference between the 535i and 550I be that significant? Will the 535i get WORSE gas mileage than the 550I for those of us who like to accelerate quickly?

Thanks for any input you or anyone else can give me.
    You can be rest assured the performance of the F01 550i over the E60 550i will be quite noticeable.

1. F10 550i acceleration times, I can't say but the performance will be much better than the current 550i. Note that the F10 550i will offer better performance than the S6 and E550.
    The HP and Torque may be limited to about 420. The engine is capable of 500 HP and Torque. An indication of the potential of the N64B44O1 engine is the Alpina B7 engine which is a supercharge 4.4 litre V8 of the 545i/645i/745i.

2. With respect to the 535i, expect the same gas mileage as the 335i, maybe 1mpg less. I expect the real world 0-60 times to be close to the 335i, although the official time would say otherwise so expect the 535i to be pretty close to the 550i but not faster than the 550i.

3. The 535i will give you better mileage than the 550i. Expect 18-29 mpg range. I know of friends that are getting above 30 mpg on the highway with their 335i and 24.5mpg combined driving.
    The F10 N64B44O1 engine (4.4 litre biturbo V8) will also offer better fuel economy than the N62B48 engine.
    Regarding information on the upcoming 2008 5 series, does anyone have insights into whether BMW plans to use run flat tires for the 5 series? And if so, to what degree?

The model I am interested in is the 535Xi.

The BMW press release goes out of its way to say the tires on the 550i sport package's 19" wheels are non run-flat, yet BMW has gone to RFTs on both the 3 series and the X5.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Bruce,

If you are interesting in the 535xi, you know you can get it without the RFT.
    Do you plan on getting the Sports package as well? If you don't want the Sports package then you have nothing to worry about.
    As an owner with RFT, I found out that by keeping the tire pressure at the rated pressure addresses most of the rap the RFTs are getting. And there are 3 occasions where I can say "it was well worth it".
    achonko,

I have RFTs on my 2006 330Xi. I like the safety and convenience aspects, but not the ride harshness. Firm is fine, harsh is not.

Unless the 5 series suspension can do things to avoid the hard hits I occasionally get in my 330Xi, I want GFTs.

I thought the 535Xi would be like the 330Xi in that the sports package is cosmetic only, no change in suspension or wheel / tire size.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Bruce,

May I ask what your tire pressures are?
    I check mine every 1000 miles, and maintain the 35 psi/38psi F/B and that took some of the harshness out.
    The SP in the 535xi will have the same suspension as the 535i without a sports suspension.
    achonko,

I follow the recommended pressure on the decal in my door frame- 32 psi front and 36 psi rear, cold.

There is a lot of discussion on this in the 3 series forum. The original Bridgestone EL42 all season tires were especially bad. I replaced them with the all season Continental RFTs and they are much better, but I still get the occasional hard hit. By contrast, our 2006 X3 has EL42 GFTs, 50 series 18" tires, and the X3 does not suffer the same hard hits as the 330Xi.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • j_sailingj_sailing Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 530i with 135k miles and want to order a 2008 535, any idea when I could order (I live in South Eastern PA)
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    Given the above, it seems there are fewer reasons to lean in favor of the current or 2008 550 as opposed to the 2008 535i. Am I missing something?
    Bruce,

I understand what you mean. You just find the hard hit annoying.
    With regards to getting the Non RFT with your 535xi, talk to your dealer and see if your concerns can be accommodated.
    Dealers are already taking orders.
    Note that you will only take delivery in late March early April.
    You are not missing anything.
    There are still some people out there that love the sound of the V8, the high torque and power.
    Performance wise, the 550i will still be better than the 535i but not significantly.
    It also gives you a strong reason to choose the 535i over the M45, G350, A6 4.2 litre V8 Quattro.
    "Performance wise, the 550i will still be better than the 535i but not significantly."

Drive them both over Loveland or Independence pass and then tell me what you think. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    I just leased a 07 530i in January, and love the car. However, I find the car to lack any kind of straight-line stability on the highway. When I am on the highway at 70mph+, I find that any gust of wind will push the car. In general, I find the car doesn't feel as solidly planted as my Mercedes or even an Audi A6 I rented yesterday.

Has anyone has a similar experience with their car? I love the handling of the BMW, but this kind of freaks me out when I am on the highway. I never expected anything like this from a German car, and am wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the steering rack or suspension.

Other than this, the car is fantastic. A little low on torque at times, but otherwise a fantastic car.
    What kind of tires? What is the highway like? It kinda sounds like tramlining, but with the wind gusts, it is hard to say. Does it have Active Steering? If it feels skittish, I'd talk to a service advisor and have it addressed. Every BMW I've owned/driven has been VERY solid, even at speeds that I can't post here.

-Paul
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,387
    Agree with the previous poster. It is unusual for any modern BMW to feel anything less than planted on the road. It should feel better at 80-90 than at 55-60.

I'll bet you have that damnable Active Steering, see your dealer and have them check wheel alignment front AND rear as well as tires and steering.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I wouldn't go so far as to call A/S damnable. Properly configured, it is a VERY nice setup. But it could be a potential issue with this situation and worth investigating completely.

-Paul
    When I took delivery of my first BMW I was stunned at how unstable the car was. I took it back to the dealership within a couple of days. "Oops!" Said the red-faced prep guy, "I forgot to let the shipping air out of tires." Five minutes later I had a rock-solid stable car.

Check your tire pressure. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gl1951gl1951 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 535xi from Daniels BMW in Bethlehem, PA at $2000 off of MSRP. Ask for Carrie.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    535xi wagon. SWEEEETTT. Pics.
    I can even get the wife on board for that one. :)

I've never spent this much for a car, but this might actually be worth it to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

gl1951,

That's the same model I would get if I buy a 5 series. What did they give you for an expected delivery date?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I saw a '99 Black/Black E39 M5 with 50K miles for sale in Autoweek. The guy was asking $27K for the car. Let's see, according to Tech Talk, you'd be looking at a clutch replacement soon. Too bad I'm not in the market right now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Interesting, there wasn't E39 M5 in the US, only RoW markets. E39 M5 was introduced as MY2000.

I'd take some of the articles in techtalk with a grain of salt, there are plenty of owners with anywhere from 70k to 100k with original clutch. It is all about one's driving style.

Plenty of 2000 E39 M5 in the mid to upper 20s can be found these days.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I thought it looked weird to see a '99 M5 for sale. Maybe it is a typo?

Tech Talk is great, but I do agree that some of Mie's comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Maybe in a few years (a long few years) I'll pick up an '03 E39 M5, but it is but a pipe dream for now:) :P

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Many thanks to all who responded to my concern. I am going to check the tire pressure tomorrow, even though the TPM (for what that is worth!) says all for tires have good pressure. My car does not have active steering, and the tires are the Continental tires that come with the regular suspension. I have never been a big fan of Continental tires, but I don't think the tires are the problem here. I think (hope) it could be as simple as the air pressure. I think that taking the car back to the dealer with an "unstable at 80mph" complaint will lead to a "could not be replicated" response from them.

Other than that, the car is excellent. But, I should have gotten the 550. That is just me. I have a heavy foot, and find my car a touch slow on the on-ramps.

Thanks again!
    I am agree with you. the V8 is a sweet engine! ;)

V-10 is sweeter still! :)

Good luck on it. Even if the TPM shows good pressure, it just means nothing is leaking. It doesn't necessarily mean that the pressure is GOOD, as in the right range. Check your pressure settings vs what is recommended on the door jam in the driver's door. That would be a better baseline to go against.

-Paul
  • tmac1987tmac1987 Member Posts: 1
    My Mom just bought me a used 87 BMW, where it is running really nice, there are a few things that are going on that I need a little advice on. The dashboard gages are having a mind of their own with working one minute and then not the the next. I got off from work today to find that power windows won't go down and the idle is all over the place. Any good sound mechanical advice before I take it in and get totally in over my head with a repair shop looking to take advantage of a newbie such as myself would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,387
    If you're lucky you have a bad battery, if you're not you have a more serious electrical problem, have your battery and charging system checked out by a reputable independent BMW or Bosch Tech.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Was able to check the tire pressure last night when the tires were cold. All tires were generally okay, a little high, except the front right tire, which was inflated to 42psi, when it should have been 32. I let some air out, down to 34 psi, which is where the front left tire was at. Door jam says should be at 32. In any case, what a difference! NOW the car is an excellent car! It tracks really well, and is extremely stable on the highway.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Do not forget to settle down with i-Drive the new 4-tyre balance in order to avoid a faulty alert!

Regards,
    Jose
    ">link titleEdmunds has a New York Auto Show blurb on the new 5 series:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2591
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    I want a little info hows the 5 series????

In detail plz....

The driving experience the comfortzone??? how is it???