Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey gang, yup, I'll still around. ;-)

That said, I'm about two years removed from my last BMW, and my wife just got the official word today that we're being moved overseas and that means that it will be sometime longer before I can contemplate getting back into one. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I'm just not nuts about hauling around the extra weight for what?, maybe 10 really crummy snow days--but as I say, I'm in a very small minority (this is ignoring any possible diminished steering feel in an all wheel drive v. a rear drive.)

I'd take a true limited slip final drive over AWD any day. Calling ///M Division... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"I'd take a true limited slip final drive over AWD any day."

Ditto!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    All of the e500's have the suspension that has the three settings.There is luxury,mid, and sport. The sport is sporty but is not harsh like my 3sport and the luxury setting is very smooth but controlled. It has air shocks which allow the adjustments.The air shocks while smooth in all settings seem a little isolated. I think I might prefer the spring shocks for feel.Yes, the 7 speed auto transmission is a dream and very reponsive. Not since my 1990 300zx twinturbo have I had a transmission that responded to the slightest nudge. I have also a 1998 e430 and it is less isolated and has spring shocks. I test drove a 550 auto nonsport before I bought the e500. First of all it was white which made it look like a large refrigerator this body style doesnt look good in white. Second, as I was driving alone without the salesman(I prefer it that way) I actually couldnt turn the radio off to hear whether the car was quiet or not! The idrive being that hard to deal with. I think the true test of whether a body style is good looking or not is how it looks in white.Everything looks good in black. The 550 has to be the perfect color with the right wheels to look just ok, still havent gotten use to the looks of it. Everything looks tacked on in person with no flow to the body. The e500 is gorgeous from any angle and I am a sucker for a really good looking car. Mercedes while maybe not having quite the driving dynamics as BMW's still look much better and along with the idrive fiasco tipped the scales.My mind is still with the BMW,they really connect with the driver and yet have a funny almost slight disregard for the looks department. Dont get me wrong they look better than Hondas and we are lucky to be driving any of these cars.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    E500 is one of the cars I will consider along with the 5 series. What do you think of the E350 vs the E550? Can you post a review of your car? Some key factors for me are: Seat comfort, steering feel, stereo quality. What are your ratings of those on your car. How has the quality been since some late model MB's have had their problems. By the way, I was driven in a new S Class today and that is one beautiful car. The interior is beautiful. I always felt that the E Class was a notch below the S Class in the feel and quality of the interior. I'm not sure why they couldn't make the E a baby S or maybe they have in your 500?
    Thank you
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    V-8 can be made lighter than I-6, which is bulky by its layout (longer block, I think). When E46 M3's were being raced, the 4 liter v-8 was more compact and lighter than the smaller displacement I-6 it replaced.

I have not driven the 535, but have driven 335 for a day. I'd say it is VERY comparable to the v-8. I really did not think it was slower than my e39 M5 at all. It pulled hard without detectable turbo lag, whether launching or passing. The only thing I did not like about the power train was the sound, it just did not sound as good as the older I-6 engines.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Richard, thanks for the comments, loved the "large refrigerator" crack, I'm also a little so-so about the E60 styling (I like the chassis, though), and it seems a shame that one has to "tolerate" iDrive (no flaming from E60 owners, please, I have yet to read a review that says that it's an advance.) And I totally agree that the current E styling is second to none. Interesting thoughts on the air shocks.

While I'd be tempted to also buy an E500, my E39 has low miles, so I'll probably just hang on for the new body styles in a couple of years (they look good in the spy photos), and maybe by that time they'll have iDrive sorted out.
    JB, I'd certainly agree that a V engine is more compact than an I-6, and I suppose that specific design parameters (iron block v. aluminum, etc.) probably most effect weight.

And thanks for the comments on the 335, I haven't driven one, so maybe the twin turbo is the "new V-8". I think I had also heard that exhaust note was note quite up to the typical I-6, but a turbo can do that.

Has anybody driven a new 535?
    Ummm, I have to disagree. True a V8 is not as long as an I6 given that typical "V" engines are about 60%-65% as long as an inline engine with the same number of cylinders. Relative to these two engines, my bet is that the V8 would be roughly as long as an I5, meaning that the I6 is about one cylinder longer. That said, the I6 is WAY narrower than a V8, and as such will allow for lots of stuff to be positioned on either side of the mill where there would be no room in a "V" type of installation.

With the above in mind, I think that saying that a V8 is more compact than an I6 is incorrect, it's simply shorter (and probably heavier).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Don't forget about those turbos hanging off the side of that I-6. Those make it just as wide as the V8 or wider. Now it's longer and wider. And how would you equate a V8 being as long as an I-5? :confuse: It would only be as long as a 4-banger since there's only 4 cylinders per bank.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    sdg380,

I drove a 535xi last Saturday. It was everything I expected in terms of being smoother and quieter than my '06 330xi while still feeling sporty and responsive.

The 535xi definitely felt more powerful than my current car, despite being heavier. One specific difference is the 535xi felt very responsive in regular Drive mode- I didn't feel the need to shift into Sports Drive mode like I sometimes do now.

On the highway, as traffic would allow, I twice floored it while doing 70 mph with 3 people in the car. The car seemed to leap, smoothly, to 85 mph in a flash before I let up on the gas pedal.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Apparently BMW recently staged a drive for the automotive press with all the current 5 series models. It started in Las vegas and ended up in California.

I did a quick check on Edmunds and did not see anything on them being part of the event. Does anyone know if Edmunds has a write-up on this?

Thanks
    Bruce
    Does anyone know if the 535i and / or 535xi have an oil cooler?

I seem to remember reading that some of the initial twin turbo 3 series cars did not come with an oil cooler. BMW later made oil coolers standard equipment, and the earlier cars were retrofitted with one.

Thanks
    Bruce
    "Don't forget about those turbos hanging off the side of that I-6. Those make it just as wide as the V8 or wider. Now it's longer and wider. And how would you equate a V8 being as long as an I-5? It would only be as long as a 4-banger since there's only 4 cylinders per bank."

Nah, turbos aren't nearly that wide. The fact is that a four cam DOHC V8 is a VERY wide motor.

As for why a quad-cam "V" type engine is typically about one cylinder longer than half of its cylinder count is due to the following two reasons:
    1) The cylinder banks are offset by a little less than half of a cylinder width. If they weren't, the connecting rods would collide and all hell would break loose.
    2) The cam drive for both banks of two cams each is usually rather complicated in and of itself. Add in the whole VANOS thing and the assembly for the cam drive is positively thick indeed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Bruce, thanks for the comments, I think they're the first I've heard re the 535.

So the million dollar question, how did you think it stacked up to a V-8? Are you going to effect procurement?
    sdg380,

I have no experience with the V-8.

You may want to Google the comments the automotive press had on the recent 5 series rally sponsored by BMW. I think it was C&D that had a specific comment on the handling of the V-8 versus the 535xi.

Yes, I bought a 535xi, right after the test drive.

There were no cars in stock, and none in the salesman's computer search, that had the options I wanted, so I placed an oder. He said it will take 6 weeks for delivery.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Bruce, congrats on the new ride, I'm sure it will be great!

So a little work on the 'net, and here's the bottom line from the C&D article (link below, I'm wondering if I'm one of those "ignorant status seekers"!):

"As torquey as the 550i is, though, it is only marginally quicker than the 535i, and as the road bent deeper into the mountains, we noticed the additional weight in the nose more and more. For all the additional power of the V-8, the overtly sporting nature of the car in six-cylinder guise is spoiled. It feels surprisingly ponderous and much larger than the smaller-engined cars—still a gratifyingly fast and powerful four-door, but no longer a sports sedan.

The twin-turbo inline-six, quite frankly, renders the 550i obsolete, a tool for ignorant status seekers and those with a vendetta against Mother Earth. If that’s the way you feel, though, save yourself $10,000 and just turn on the pump at a gas station and lay the nozzle on the ground. In addition to the inline-six’s better feel and responses at the limit and better fuel economy, the 535i barely trails the 550i in performance categories that matter on U.S. shores. Maybe on a German autobahn the additional power would come in handy at high speeds, but here, that 10 grand would be better funneled into heated seats and the Sport package."

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13051/first-drive-2008-bmw-5-series.html
    ...a tool for ignorant status seekers and those with a vendetta against Mother Earth. ...

That's a bit harsh for them to say. Some of us just like a V8. Sure, the 6 may perform as well as the 8, but the 8 gives much better aural [gratification.]
    sdg380,

FYI- the comment on handling of the 535xi compared to the 550i is in the last two sentences in the paragraph following. I did not consider the V-8 because it doesn't come in AWD.

"Like the large V-8 in the 550i, BMW’s all-wheel-drive system adds more than 200 pounds to the 535i. It also skews the weight balance noseward. Unlike the V-8, the 200 pounds in the 535xi don’t come with an additional 60 horsepower. Although the all-wheel-drive system doesn’t transform a car that was designed as a rear-driver into a big fancy WRX, it also doesn’t impart the same sort of wallowing as the 550i is prone to. With the front tires splitting the work, the 535xi pulls itself out of corners steadily. It’s heavier and a little slower than the rear-drive 535i but not as cumbersome as the V-8 550i."

I also found some video clips of the rally at another site (auto.com?).

Thanks
    Bruce
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    of course those who are adventurous can always do something about the power with Vishnu aftermarket kit. Their 335 kit which costs $1365 will give additional 50-60 bhp and 70-80 lb-ft torque and claimed 1-2 mpg improvement. 5-series kit is not there, but since the drive train is more or less the same, I am sure they will have one soon. This makes the TT engine even more compelling. I'd personally go with the 535 and the kit than used E60 M5 which BMW won't even CPO.
    Great link. I've never seen BMW steering criticized before. It's always been hailed as "magic". Any comments from anyone who has a new 5 or tested one extensively.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    I've never seen BMW steering criticized before. It's always been hailed as "magic". Any comments from anyone who has a new 5 or tested one extensively.

BMW's optional Active Steering has been roundly criticized for being "twitchy", "numb" and generally non-linear.
    the C&D article doesn't state whether their test car was so equipped but what do you expect from a second-rate rag. ;)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    According to BMW's press releases, the 335 used a turbo i6 instead of a v8 because it saved 140lbs versus a similarly-powered v8.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I was at a dealer yesterday looking at the 5 Series cars and a customer walked in to tell the salesman that he got his first door ding last night. So I asked the salesman if side moldings were available and he said no. I realize the car looks better without moldings, but it also looks better than a car with a bunch of dings in the side. Are side moldings not even available from BMW? Is there an aftermarket supplier that has them to match the body colors?
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    Yesterday was the first day I really took a hard look at BMWs, specifically the 5 Series. I was pretty surprised that the interior temperature settings are not displayed digitally. In every other luxury car I have looked at, they are. In this car, you have to look at what position the two knobs are in to see the settings. It just seems odd that a car that is loaded with so much hi-tech stuff, would have it that way. Any thoughts?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    As one who has driven an Active Steering car for a while, I can say it is not twitchy or numb. The ratio changes depending on speed are actually VERY nice. No cranking the wheel in the parking lots. At speed, it feels like I just have to think about steering and it happens. Switching back to my wife's car or my Jeep, their steering feels very vague by comparison, and my wife's car is one considered to also have excellent driving dynamics.

-Paul
    BMW likes to pretend to still be an analogue experience.
    Ok topspin this is Richard w/e500. Been away for a few days. In answer to review of e500 I will put it in context w/BMW 3and5's.Seat comfort is great, firm, but comfortable,great lumbar support yet still lacks the side bolsters I like. You may not think side bolsters are that important but believe me they are. Even on those 360 degree freeway exits I just about slide sideways off the seat(yes,I drive very fast).Not as good as bimmer sport seats(probable best in the business and Ive had a Ferrari for 3 years).Regular bimmer 5 seats are about the same as Benz as I dontlike"comfort seats" ,usually too squishy. Steering is another sore spot. The effort to steer is too easy and a little too isolated, probably my biggest complaint.Again I like the 3 steering effort as just about perfect.Car however, handles very well abeit with a comfort-luxury feel certainly not anywhere near asisolated and wallowy bad as Lexus(had an LS for 3 years) Yes, I spend too much money on cars!Stereo can be ordered up to one of the best. I have regular stereo and it is not so good but passable.I got a basic,if you want to call it that, e500, less to go wrong I think, and I'm right.Dont need all the gizmos. My service advisor is the same one Ive had for years and he said that at the 2005 year screw ups quietened down(2003 was the new body style).Same as with all cars. Always wait 2 years on any model, even Honda and Toyota, to iron all the kinks out. S class is very good looking,5 times better than the 7 but it also has the adjustable suspension which to me even in the sport setting is a little too isolated.The interior of my e is beautiful but functional with great cupholders in the console,not like those stupid cupholders in the 5. For a car that is one of the best driving cars in the world, the 5 sucks at piddling consumer ideas that piss everyone I know off and at the same time are ridiculously very easy to fix!
    To summarize my last post,Ive had 3's,driven 5's,owned two 6's, driven 7's and to a model all of them have driven better with more feel and control than all comparable models of all other luxury cars. I also feel that they all to a model have been grossly underpowered (not the m's) for their weights until the 5 got the 360 hp and the 3 got the 300hp.They also werent until now very quiet with wind and road noise coming thru more than merc or lexus which I hate!Also, their interiors are the most austere in the business, especially compared to Lexus.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I drove the 550. It was loaded so I'm assuming it had active steering. I did not find anything "twitchy" about the car, it rode like I would expect a BMW to ride. My one comment is: the first time I pressed the accelerator to the floor, I was a bit shocked on how fast that thing took off. Also drove the X5 didn't find anything to complain about the shifter or idrive on any model. Yes it takes some getting used to, but I figured it out while driving at 50mph without any trouble.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    After the 90,000 mile service, the total maintenace costs for my 2002 530i 5sp SP is $6922.55. The amount that would have been covered by an extended warranty/maintenance package was $1402.45, including a brake master cylinder. The total costs includes 3 sets of tires, a new wheel and repair of a wheel.

Also, after 90,337 miles my average MPG is 26.4 at an average 51.4 MPH.
    Have you tracked your scheduled maintenance, recurring replacement, damage repair and unscheduled repair costs separately? If you have, I'd love to know the breakout. ;-)

FWIW, I split out the above categories as follows:

SCHEDULED:
    - Mileage related service costs as outlined in the manual
    - Time related service costs as outlined in the manual

RECURRING:
    - Wiper blades
    - Tires
    - Brakes
    - Lighting (assuming the elements last several years at least)
    - Clutches (if so equipped and if it lasts at least 100,000 miles)

DAMAGE REPAIR:
    - Repair/Replace bent, scratched or otherwise cosmetically flawed parts due to road junk, parking lots and general "stuff" happening.

UNSCHEDULED REPAIR:
    - Everything else not included in one of the above categories

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • da763da763 Member Posts: 14
    I am looking at buying a used 2004 545i and would like to know how easy/hard it might be to add a factory satellite radio (Sirius) to the car to interface through iDrive. The car does have bluetooth and NAV, but the current owner says that it is not pre-wired for satellite.

Has anybody done this? If so, what are the ups/downs and estimated cost.

Thanks.
    I have all the receipts, but recurring and maintenance are commingled. My spreadsheet is at home. The only damage repair is the wheel and wheel repair, probably $700 and the only unscheduled is the master cylinder, about $300 (and it was not the issue). My brakes still have 40% on the front and 50% on the rear and still have the original clutch.
    Good info, thanks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • parrowparrow Member Posts: 8
    What am I missing?

I have an 02 5 series (e39), and recently jump started and then replaced the battery. Immediately following the replacement, the radio and cd do not work. The computer works, the clock works, but not the radio or cd. I've owned other bmw's in which a radio code had to be entered. According to my manual, my model has no such code. The dealer confirmed this. I checked the fuses and they are not blown.

Is there a trick to restarting the radio after a battery change? Could the jump start or battery change have caused a problem with the radio? I suppose it could be purely coincidental, but that does not seem likely.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
    I'll expand the spreadsheet, but I may not be able to do it for a few days.
    That'd be pretty cool. I'm thinking that BMWs aren't as "breathtakingly expensive" to own and operate as some would have us believe.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    Having owned two Audis and a Bimmer well after the expiry of the factory warranty I can tell you that I think he's all wet about these "breathtaking expenses".

German cars are never going to be as cheap to keep up as a Toyota or a Nissan but they aren't ridiculously expensive unless you're foolish enough to go to an authorized dealer for maintainence.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

That'd be pretty cool. I'm thinking that BMWs aren't as "breathtakingly expensive" to own and operate as some would have us believe.

I don't know about that; my 3er needed a brake light switch and it cost almost $20!!! On top of that, I just changed the final drive oil and the seal washers for the drain and fill plugs cost 49 cents for the pair. And then the X3 needed new tires; $346.72 for four Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. Plus $48 to mount and balance. My bimmers are bleeding me dry. I knew I should have bought a Kia... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I was thinking about his comments recently. I think that he's right on the money (no pun intended) with Audi, but not BMW. For some reason, Audi maintenance is, as he says, "breathtakingly expensive".
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"German cars are never going to be as cheap to keep up as a Toyota or a Nissan"

A friend and I happened to be car shopping at the same time a couple of years ago. I decided to get the Lexus GS300, and he chose the 530xi. Within a week, his iDrive display died, and his car was down for a week. I was feeling pretty smug.

Since then, my car has been in the shop a total of nine times for "unscheduled" service. I've done all the math - I've had to bring it in, on average, every 70 days. It has spent 7% of its entire life in service. I'm about to start the Lemon Law process.

My friend's 530xi has been humming along quite nicely, thank you very much. He's nice about it - even offered to give me a ride when my GS was down for three weeks with busted power steering for the third time. :)

Even if I wasn't planning on trading my GS in for a 335i, there's no way I'd keep it past the warranty.
  • zoelmanzoelman Member Posts: 15
    okay, i'm a new bmw owner, just bought a 2004 cpo 545i.

my wife had a 1995 318i. to charge my cell phone in that car you had to buy a bmw adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter socket, you couldn't just plug in the universal charger like you can on american cars.

question: is that still the case? do i have to buy a special bmw adapter in order to charge my cell phone with the cigarette lighter in the 2004 model? or can i just plug it into the lighter like i can on my jeep? just wondering.

thanks.
    So I took one out of for a spin yesterday and it was a very impressive machine. It drove sportier than I had anticipated with very quick acceleration and fantastic brakes. The interior has been upgraded for 08 and I particularly liked the bamboo wood trim which looked grey to my eye. The car handled very well and felt very solid. The I drive can be a bit frustrating (it took me a few minutes to turn on the radio) but I think after a short while it would be easy to master.
    It will be on my short list.
    Afterward, I jumped into the E Class to compare. The 550E was a bit more on the lux side of ride and didn't handle as well but offered a very plush ride with lots of power. The E350 felt underpowered and lacked a bit in the engine for my tastes of a 50K car. I think the 535 and the E550 are direct competitors and in that case the BMW seems like a better deal providing you want a sporty ride.
    As an aside, I checked the Edmunds review of the 2000 M5 and compared it to the 08 535. Back in 2000 they called the M5 the best car in the world and said you could spend 100-300K and not get as good a car. I think it listed for around 75K at the time. The 0-60 time was 5.3 vs 5.5 for the 535. The brake distance was 116 ft compared to the 535 at 113 ft. It pulled .90 g vs the 535 at .89 and it's gas mileage was 13/21 vs 17/26 for the 535. The M5 beat it on the slalom by 4 mph. And all for about 15-20 K less. Just shows you how much better cars have gotten in a few years.
    Just shows you how much better cars have gotten in a few years.

I'd still take the E39 M5 over an E60 535i. Now an E60 M5... that's a tougher call to make. I think I'd go for door #3 and take a new M6.

I added columns to my spreadsheet. The costs are:

Scheduled; $2139.42, all fluid changes,filters, tire rotations, etc.

Recurring; $2606.07, mostly tires and alignments

Damage; $621.00, wheel and wheel repair

Unscheduled; 1393.06, everything else.

I'll repost periodically.
    do i have to buy a special bmw adapter in order to charge my cell phone with the cigarette lighter in the 2004 model? or can i just plug it into the lighter like i can on my jeep? just wondering.

Just give it a try; if you don't have to use a hammer to fully insert it you should be OK...

the guy at BMW i talked with a few days ago said i still need to get an adapter that plugs into the glove box where the flashlight goes - otherwise i could possibly blow fuses and/or cause damage because it's only a 4 amp lighter? so not sure whatz up with this.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    I don't need an adapter for my '05 330.. Just plug it right in... Motorola..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

well, i guess i'll give it a try. i do have the warranty.

on another note, how accurate is the gas guage and when you run out of gas? when it says i have xx miles left before running out of gas - is there any grace miles in there? just wondering how exacting it is, or if it says 2 miles left, then, it's just 2 miles left and that's it.

on my jeep, i could run for maybe a dozen or more miles AFTER it said i had zero miles left.

new owner...
    thanks.