Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I just drove the 550i with auto but no paddles. Is that a different trans? Is there a difference in the newer trans you mention above if one isn't shifting with paddles? In other words does it shift faster in the auto mode as well, when the car is "deciding"?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I just drove the 550i with auto but no paddles. Is that a different trans?

The 550 slushbox is a ZF 6HP 26Z, which is a different transmission.

In other words does it shift faster in the auto mode as well, when the car is "deciding"?

The shift speed and "smoothness" varies according to accelerator pedal position, engine speed, and vehicle speed. I haven't driven a 550i; they aren't bad cars, but they simply aren't my cup of tea.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks. What I was trying to understand, and I probably didn't say it correctly, was if the step slush box on the sport auto with paddle shifters is different than the normal step auto without the paddle shifters (except,of course, for the inclusion of the paddles)? So for instance, if one opts for the 535 auto without the sport pack and paddles is the trans different than the one on the xi version that isn't offered with paddles?
    So for instance, if one opts for the 535 auto without the sport pack and paddles is the trans different than the one on the xi version that isn't offered with paddles?

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I know, there is no difference between the transmissions other than the lack of shift paddles and perhaps some different programming to accommodate the xDrive system.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I think roadburner's answer is correct. Mine is ordered that way, and my understanding is the tranny is the same, but no paddles.
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    roadburner, why isnt the 550 your cup of tea with 360 hp and torque, fast shifting tranny and choice of sport seats? It sounds like a perfect car with every choice under the sun to customize it. No offense, just trying to get a lot of opinions before I plunk down 70 stacks of money. Sometimes the detractors have more to say than the effusive fans.
    roadburner, why isn't the 550 your cup of tea with 360 hp and torque, fast shifting tranny and choice of sport seats?

There's nothing wrong with the E60; it's simply too big and heavy for my tastes. I prefer a vehicle shorter than 175 inches and weighing under 3200 pounds. And since whatever I buy eventually ends up at a track day -my Jeep TJ and my wife's X3 truck excluded- I find that the extra mass is even more noticeable in that environment than it is on the street. I'm still a bit tempted by the new M3, but I really consider it to be an updated incarnation of my beloved E24 M6(which even then was a bit of a porker, though just about as fast as a 550i) rather than a true heir of the iconic E30 original. When all is said and done, I still think my next BMW will be a true classic such as a 2002 Turbo, E9 CSL, or M1.

• pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Anybody had this problem yet? When the 335 first came out, those cars, mostly non sport equipped without an oil cooler, found that overheating and "limp home" was not uncommon. Haven't heard about this yet with the 5 series equipped with the turbo engine, but wanted to ask.
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    I asked this question of the dealer before purchasing my 535. I was told that this problem had been fixed on the 335 and, therefore, on the 535. I have also not heard of this being a problem.
    So I think I 've finally decided that it's the 5 for me.
    I tested the 7 today and it just didn't give me the "grin" factor of the 5 (as you all know, the "grin" factor is the most scientifically accurate way to choose a car :)
    So here's my questions (calling Shipo, BMW guru).
    I am leaning toward the 535xi. I will load it up with many options that I like: Sport, HUD, Nav, Logic 7 (by the way the logic 7 sounded better in the 5 than the 7, go figure),
    If I went for the 535i then the sport package would include the lower profile tires and roll stabilization. I could also get the cool sport paddles. I have already done the winter tire change routine on my 330i and it works great but I don't really want the hassle.
    Do you know if the sp on the 550i would ride the same as the one on the 535i? I tested only the 550 and it seemed fine. My 330i was a bit rough with the sp and I did crack a rim on the wonder full pot holes of NYC.
    Is the car lowered on the 535 sp vs the xi? Is the non sp 535 lower than the xi?
    Do you get a choice of run flats or regular tires and any or all of the above? What's the consensus on the run flats?
    Any other advice on options?
    Thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A new fiver, nice. ;-)

Unfortunately I've yet to drive a 535i SP or a 550i SP with the "Retuned sport suspension calibration", however, in past generations, the top of the line I6 models with SP and the V8 models with SP had almost identical ride and handling characteristics. Is that still the case? My bet is "yes", I just don't know that for a fact.

In answer to your query about the lower ride height, yes, the 535i SP does in fact ride lower than all other versions of the 535, in fact, I ran across a spec a year ago or so that suggests that even a 535i non-SP rides fractionally lower than any flavor of the 535xi.

With the 535i SP (in fact all flavors of the I6 models with SP, "xi" or no) comes summer performance RFTs, like it or no. Oddly enough, the 550i SP still comes with good old fashioned summer performance GFTs. Go figure. :-/

Consensus on RFTs? Ummm, I'm not sure there is one. Personally I wouldn't have them. Were I to lease a new BMW with RFTs, I'd drive them until they had say 6mm of tread left and then stash them in my attic (to be remounted at lease end) in favor of a good set of GFTs. Were I to buy a new RFT shod BMW, I'd simply run them till they were done and throw them away, once again in favor of GFTs. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    Shipo,

Not sure I am reading your message correctly, but I got the sport package on my 535Xi and it came with 17" all season GFTs. 18" wheels with summer performance run flat tires were an available option, predicated on having the sport package, but I did not order them.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Hmmm, maybe I read the specs wrong, let me check...
    Yup, you are correct, nice catch. I reread the specs and there is a foot note that indicates that the low profile wheels and RFTs are an extra cost addition to the SP for the "xi" models.

Sorry folks for hosing that one up. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have just ordered a 535xi in Canada, and that is exactly the situation. I skipped the SpPack to avoid the RTFs. The 17" non-SpPack tires are GFTs.
    FWIW,

I have had no overheating problems with my 535Xi, actually no problems at all.

From looking under the hood, and at pictures someone else posted, I believe my 535Xi did come with an oil cooler.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Have you read some of the recent posts on BITOG concerning direct injection engines and oil life? I've had an interest in the topic ever since I picked up my Mazdaspeed3. From what I've read, it looks like many of the new DI engines are showing moderate to high levels of fuel dilution in the oil. The worst offenders appear to be the BMW N54 twin turbo, the Audi RS4 4.2L V8, and the Mazda DISI 2.3L turbo- in that order. Terry Dyson is reporting that the N54 will pretty much destroy Mobil 1 0w-40 in only 1000 miles. He states:

"I just worked a 07 335 Biturbo yesterday USING ASTM lab tests on the used oil and M1 0w40 went from VOA flash of 430+F to 280 F in 1150 miles, oil sheared to 12.1 cSt and fuel was at 1.99% by IR."

Now granted, this is data from only one forum and one expert's opinion, but it is something to consider. Combine the fuel dilution with the high oil temperatures seen on the N54 and I'm thinking that these engines may not last much over 100K -if that long- especially if the oil changes only take place at 15K intervals. And, while neither manufacturer requires the use of synthetic oil, Mazda calls for 5K changes on the DISI and Subaru has just announced that a 3.7K OCI is mandatory for all of their turbo motors.

No I've been beyond busy what with our planned move to Hong Kong, our trip over there to pick out schools and an apartment, the "putting on hold" of that plan by the company and then our return to New Hampshire to undo all of the things we'd put in place (not to mention re-enrolling our kids in their old school and practically begging the soccer coach to let my son try out a week late and then make space for him in an already full roster). Geez, I've managed to keep up with what's going on here in the TownHall, but the other boards that I post on have been almost completely ignored as a result, BITOG included.

Regarding the UOA from the 335i, hmmm, don't sound too good. That said, I find myself wondering what kind of driving regimen that car was exposed to. Manhattan traffic? Road Atlanta on weekends and garaged during the week? Local errands and no chance to get fully warmed up? I kind of think something like the above was going on to cause the owner to pay for a UOA after only 1,150 miles.

Another thought, was the 335i tested one of the early models sans oil cooler? I may have time in the next few days to nose around over there and have a look-see.

Thanks for the "heads-up".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    New 5er is definitely a nice ride. Make sure you drive both cars back to back (xi vs. i). My Mom who turns 59 in a few weeks, has an '05 530iA (non-sport) that she loves. Her lease is up at the end of December. Last week she went to the dealer and drove a 528xi (she's on the AWD kick like the rest of the northeast, I don't agree with it but then again I don't make the payments either). She drove the 528xi and commented on how rough the ride was and how heavy the car felt. She actually ordered a 328xi.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy,

Very interesting: "She drove the 528xi and commented on how rough the ride was and ..... ordered a 328xi."

I traded in an '06 330Xi for a 535Xi as I did not like the harshness in the 330Xi's ride. To me, the 535Xi has a noticeably smoother ride.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Agree - test drove both (335xi vs 535xi) extensively recently, and the 5er is much smoother in the ride dept.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    her 530i is exceptionally smooth without being isolated. She also liked the smaller dimensions of the 3er for her needs.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Shipo, are you saying that the retuned sports recalibration indicates that the 2007 spts ride differently than the 2008's? Have they softened or hardened the ride of the sprts? And do you think that the increased weight of the 5 would make the sprt 5 ride better than the sprt 3?
    Nope, never intended to imply any of the above. To be quite honest, I simply don't know. Sorry. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That's ok good buddy I dont know either or I wouldnt have asked it. I dont know about you but the way prices are getting (I am driving cars listing 3 times the price of my parents house built in the 50's) you never can ask enough questions about these damn things. Unfortunately the only proper way to find out about these cars is rent one for a week because its a little foggy a week later after youve driven a test ride for only 20 minutes with a salesman bending your ear.
    So I am smitten with the 550i and if I go with it over the 535 then I will have to go with a winter tire and wheel package. I did have very good success with my 330i sport in the white stuff with good winter tires. Do you know if the clearance with the aero package is similar to the 01 3 series sport I had in 01?
    I am a bit concerned that if it was too low than I wouldn't be able to get through a few inches of snow. (if you don't know, then no one would:).
    Do you think the 550 would handle the bad weather in a similar way as the 330i did?
    (It was like a little tank).
    I am still trying to decide between the 550, 535i and 535xi. I found that the 550 felt heavier but in a good way, like it was a more substantial car. The 535i was light and more toss able but it didn't feel as "buttoned up" if that makes sense. It felt very much like my old 3. The 550 felt like a more civilized M car to me and I really liked the engine note. And the aero kit that gives it a special flair.
    The "sensible" choice would be the xi. No tire change needed and very good handling in the wet but to me it drove very similar to my wife's X5. Not that that's bad at all but it felt a bit "heavy". I also may want the goodies that are only available on the non xi cars: sport auto trans (I hear it's great, any feedback?), ARS, and sport suspension.
    Oh, and do you know anything about an "anthracite head liner". I see it referenced in some bimmer sites but I can't find it in the brochure.
    Thanks!
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    topspin628 -
    I can address a couple of your questions - I too looked at the various levels of the '08 5 series and ended up ordering and leasing a 535xi. I did not have a chance to drive an 535i as my local dealers never had any on the lot (I've had RWD manuals in the past, but went with the steptronic this time because I need to trade with my wife every once in while.) I can say the auto is smooth and quick, and in sport mode is very responsive (no experience with the sport-auto trans - but I've heard only good things). The dealer reps all said the xi drove more solid or "planted" than the i, and was unstoppable in the winter. Since I went with sport package and upgraded 18" wheels and perf tires, I'll have to go with a winter set-up. Depending on ice/snow in your area, don't assume an xi without snows will suffice as you still the right tires to turn, stop, etc.
    I also ordered the anthracite headliner since my interior is "natural brown" - black carpet and trim with light brown seats...would not have looked good with the standard gray headliner. The antracite is very dark gray (almost black) and goes well with the combo I ordered. It is a "Priority One" option...can be selected at the time the order is placed.
    Hope this helps - good luck.
  • bajanjackbajanjack Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2008 535xi on order...it is "on the water"....I am interested in reviewing the owner's manual prior to delivery....when I go to the BMW owner's site, they indicate it is not currently available. Any suggestions as to where I might locate an online version?
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Can't think of an online resource for this that would be complete... I'd suggest visiting your dealer and borrowing one.

BTW... B'dos?
    The manual download area in the "Owner's Circle" on the BMW web site is a bit behind the times so I doubt that you'll find it there anytime soon.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks....and Barbados indeed........... 21 years of spending vacations on the island....you?
    Me?

B'dos visitor... Trini native, and NYC dweller.

Don't know if this is your first Bimmeer, however they are all smile machines... Got 130K on my 2003 E39 (as of yesterday... lol) and I still glance back when i walk away from it. Enjoy
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    2022 X3 M40i
    wow, what a great site, lots of great info besides the owner's manual...thanks much Ray.....I'll be well prepared when my car gets here!!
  • gscottnelson1gscottnelson1 Member Posts: 9
    Question for the group -

Any word on when the 5 series gets overhauled? I heard online it is for the 2009 model year, but also heard some for 2010 -

Also looking when the desiels might be coming?
    I plan to order a 550 Sport tomorrow and there are a few options I can't decide on. Some help would be great.

Active Steering- I hear mixed reviews on it. I love the BMW steering feel and I would be hard pressed to order something "new" without trying it. My dealer doesn't have one to try and I'm not sure when or if they get them. Besides being easier to steer when parking or low speed maneuvers, it's being marketed as a safety feature. One of the reasons I want a bimmer is for the steering feel, so as I said I'd be wary here unless I can get a long test drive.

Vent seats- So from what I've read they aren't cooled (like in my Lexus) but simply have air recircluated through. It's about $1,000 option (ouch!) Is it worth it?

Anthracite headliner-From what I can tell it's a black inside roof vs grey. Any difference other than color? About $450. If it's just color I would pass.

Lane Departure warning. Another safety feature. I'm not sure. Any comments?

Thanks
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    Any word on when the 5 series gets overhauled? I heard online it is for the 2009 model year, but also heard some for 2010 -

2009 isn't very likely as the facelift was just done. I'd say 2010 or 11. Let's hope they return to classic BMW styling ala E92.

Diesels may be out by '09.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Not that I have personal experience with a 5-series, but the only one of those that I could see getting would be ventilated seats, but not even that at $1000.

I've tried Servotronic steering on an X3.. That just changes the low-speed ratio, without all the extra stuff that you get with Active Steering... I thought that was worthwhile at $250, but that didn't change the steering at speed.

You can get a lot of worthwhile, expensive options on a 550i.. I wouldn't put any of those on that list.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    My Infiniti M35x has the ventilated seats and Lane Departure System. Both are almost never used. If anything, the LDS is more of an annoyance. The ventilated seats work OK, but not worth the extra money. Save your money. Pass on those two options.
    I am in the market for a 535xi with Sports Package, but I hate the Style Spoke 124 rims on the 535, but LOVE the Double Spoke 172M rims on the 550 sports package.

I told the dealer I wanted the 172's in place of the 124's. They said its not possible!

Does anyone know of any dealer that will do this for me?

BMW did a horrible job by keeping the 124 rims. I actually liked the style 123 rims that were on the 530 Sports Package. Yes they were outdated, but much nicer than the 124 rims.

Those darn rims are keeping me from buying the car.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    My Infiniti M35x has the ventilated seats and Lane Departure System. Both are almost never used. If anything, the LDS is more of an annoyance. The ventilated seats work OK, but not worth the extra money. Save your money. Pass on those two options.

I had the options on my M35 Sport. I totally agree!
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    My two cents: I have a 535 with black interior and live in Texas. I did not get the ventilated seats and its no big deal. The AC works fine and I have yet to soak a shirt. I also chose against the lane departure system. When I was looking at the M, it seemed most folks in the forum turned it off as it was annoying. Lastly, I kept the grey headliner and it looks just fine. I'd vote for getting the good stuff like the ipod adaptor, logic 7 stereo etc.
    Agreed!
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I had a 2004 545i 6 speed and sport package. It had the Active Steering packaged with the sport package back then. I thought the active steering was great and wish I had that car back!!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    I am looking at a 2008 535xi. I emailed BMW about thier re-design timetable because I intensely dislike buying a new car and then it is re-designed the very next year!! Here is an excerpt of their response:

"The 5 Series received its last major re-design in 2004 and was freshened for the 2007/2008 model years. We do not anticipate another major overhaul until the 2011 model year"

Hope this helps!
    Sure Does!!! Thanks for the great news! I too dislike driving a car that has been redesigned.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I too dislike driving a car that has been redesigned.

For me, it all depends. There are certainly plenty of vehicles out there where an older design is better looking than a newer one. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well, I just had to do this.... the E 39 rules. And, ironically, I got my E39 in 2003 (last year of production), knowing that the redesign was coming. Some cars are just timeless.

I felt the same way about the older Jag XJ6...
    mmoreno1978,

FWIW, my experience ordering a 535Xi is the sport package per se does not include the style 124 wheels. They are an additional option, if you also get the sport package.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Me too! And I drove the 2004 e60 in Germany prior to the US launch. Still loving my '03 e39 530SP. Has been a flawless ownership experience to date...