Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Thanks Bruce.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Does the 550 have the guzzler tax? I didn't think so but in the Edmunds video review of an 06, they say it does?

Also, has the engine been re-tuned for a quicker 0-60 time?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Oddly enough, the guzzler tax is charged only on the manual equipped 550i.
  • twistedmetaltwistedmetal Member Posts: 15
    Not a big fan of the standard rims, but they're easier to clean. To just add other rims, there's no cost differential to change them. Essentially you'll get the originals + the new ones and the costs involved. I'd check EBay b/c there are alot of folks out there who remove whatever rims are stock and replace them w/custom. My neighbor has a M5, replaced the stock rims w/some customs at 10k for the set. The higher end BMW, the more you'll see customs swapped for originals and the longer a wheel style is out, the more available.

Does the manual get worse mileage than the auto?
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Does the manual get worse mileage than the auto?

Just the opposite. Crazy world.

Regards,
    Jose
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I recently ordered a 2008 535i, and I'll be putting snow tires on it. I'm getting rid of a Lexus GS300 which I have snow tires for, and I could use those tires on the 535, but I'm not sure if that would be the best move.

The tires I have now are Dunlop WinterSport M3's (love 'em) in 225/50-17. This is also the standard tire size on the 535.

I'm getting the sport package on the 535, which gives me 245/40R-18 front and 275/35R-18 rear. I can get the Dunlop WinterSport M3's in this setup, but would I get better traction using the 17 inch tires? From what I understand, the smaller tire gives better traction due to the increased pressure on the smaller contact patch. Is this true?

As I see it, here are my options:

1) Use 225/50-17 at all four corners, and enjoy better traction. Would also have to get another 17 inch tire to use as a spare since the 'space saver' that comes with the SP is 18 inch.

2) Use the 245/275 setup, and enjoy better performance when dry but suffer with loss of traction in snow. Would not need another tire as spare.

I'll be buying new rims for either setup, so that isn't a factor.

Is my understanding correct? Are there any other options I'm missing?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    I see you are from Salem NH. I , used to be next door in Atkinson (now live in Loudon) and drive an E39 (2000MY 528iA) so I'm familiar w winter conditions in your area.

I decided to prioritize traction and go w the narrower, smaller diameter tire because I live atop a long steep hill.
    (225-55-15 Blizzaks)

If you live in a relatively flat area and do most of your driving on roads like I-93 and I-495 you could be alright on 245-40-17 but if you find it neccessary to be on secondary roads in bad weather you should go with the "traction" setup IMO.

In no case would I consider a 275 size tire for your driving wheels. I really think you're asking for trouble w something that wide. :surprise:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I've spent some time in Loudon - nice area.

Thanks for the feedback! 15 inch for you, huh? The stock setup with the 535 is 225-50-17. I'm no tire expert - can I pick anything in the 225-50 range, like 225-50-16, or 225-50-15? If so, am I losing anything by going with the smaller size?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Go to www.tirerack.com and see what they recommend. They usually follow the factory recommendation in terms of sizing.

e39 528 models had smaller brake rotors than the later 530, which used 540 set up and can't use anything less than 16 inch wheels. Yours may have the same limitation, so I'd definitely check with tirerack.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Hmmm....double check this as the guzzler tax MAY be on all 550's with SP's.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Windham checking in. ;-)

As a general rule, go with the 225 section width tires mounted on the smallest wheels you can get to fit around your brakes (which are 16s). No one has mentioned this, and I assume you already know it, but I feel I need to point this out, the wheels from your GS300 are guaranteed NOT to fit your 535i.

As I see it, you have two options:
    1) Buy a complete new set of wheels and tires (225/55 R16 mounted on 16x7 or 16x7.5 wheels) and peddle your set for the GS.
    2) Buy a new set of 17x7.5, 17x8.0 or 17x8.5 wheels and mount the Dunlops from the GS on them. Then you can peddle just the wheels from the GS.

Keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I have a 535xi on order, and it will come with the 17" wheels standard. I will be using those wheels for snows, and adding 4 Blizzaks in 225/50-17 V rated. I am trading the All-Seasons in for credit against the snows. In March or so I will get a new set of BMW OEM wheels in 18" size and new summer tires for them. That's my solution.
    Thanks for checking in, Windham. ;)

>"the wheels from your GS300 are guaranteed NOT to fit your 535i."

Yep - knew that, but thanks for making sure. I never bought an extra set of wheels for the GS, so they have to stay where they are. I'm sure when I Lemon the car they'll want it with wheels.

>"Buy a complete new set of wheels and tires (225/55 R16 mounted on 16x7 or 16x7.5 wheels) and peddle your set for the GS."

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm still in the process of building my tire kung-fu, so I have a question: what does the 7 or 7.5 in 16X7/16X7.5 represent? I know all the other numbers, but not this one. Can either one be used with a 225/55 tire?
    When it comes to wheel size, the first number (i.e. 16, 17, 18...) represents the diameter of the wheel itself, while the second number represents the width of the rim.

With regard to the different width wheels I listed for you, they will all work with the tire applications that I listed. That said, the only ones I'd stay away from (unless you really like the wheels) are the 17x8.5 wheels. They are just wide enough that the tire sidewalls won't be able to protect them from curb rash as well as the slightly narrower wheels. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Got it - thanks again. ;)

Looks like it's going to be 225/55-16, depending on the price of the BMW wheels. I'll give Bavarian Auto Works a call to see if they sell the specific wheels I'm looking for. Maybe they'll even let me pick them up and save some money on shipping...
    I just ordered the 550 with sport package in automatic and no gas guzzler charge. Is it possible that the 08s now are not subjected to that tax?
    '07 automatics weren't charged either. I think it's a ploy by BMW to force people away from the manual transmission so they can force the mostly unwanted SMG on those of us who want a manual. Dirty dealing if you ask me.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I would be very surprised if 16" wheels would fit over the brakes on a new 535...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

TireRack is currently carrying two models of 16x7.0" wheels and two models of 16x7.5" wheels that fit the 535i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Okay.. I'm surprised.. :surprise:

That said, he already has a set of winter tires in the stock 535 size.. I'd just get wheels for them, and be done with it... Unless the 16" tires are appreciably narrower, it isn't going to make much difference, anyway..

I'd double check the 16" thing with a phone call.. The stock size on the 535 is 225/50-17.. That is for the base model, not sport. Not sure I'd want to downgrade from that. Even the 528i comes with 17" standard.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nope, all E60 cars can be fitted with 16" wheels (per TireRack), SP or not, I6 or V8, it makes no matter. That said, the situation is very much like that of my old E39, while there were 16" wheels that would fit, they were very few and far between.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Remember the good old days, when 14" wheels were an upgrade?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, I was so proud the first time I bought a car with 15" wheels. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    >"That said, he already has a set of winter tires in the stock 535 size.. I'd just get wheels for them, and be done with it."

I'm trying to find out how much better the traction would be between 16 and 17.. probably tough to measure. Since I already have the 17s it makes sense to go with those, but since I'll have the car for many years I don't want to have worse traction every year just to save a few bucks on the tires this year.

>"I'd double check the 16" thing with a phone call.."

BMW lists 16 inch tires on the accessory page for the 2008 535i (star spoke 115), but you're right - better safe than sorry.
    "I'm trying to find out how much better the traction would be between 16 and 17.. probably tough to measure."

Assuming the same section width (i.e. 225), probably impossible to measure. I've never seen any compelling evidence that proves that a winter tire of any given width and diameter will perform better if the wheel is smaller.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My mistake - I was confusing the aspect ratio with the tire width. :blush:

So, given that the 16 and 17 have the same width (therefore the same traction as well), would there be any major reason to go with the 16 other than cost?
    Assuming the 16" tires are sized properly, they'll be the same overall height... With 1" less wheel, the sidewall will be 0.5" taller than the corresponding 17" tire.

If you have bad potholes, or your spouse is maybe not as careful as you would like, then you do have a small amount of increased protection from pothole damage.

But, traction/winter handling improvements would probably be too small to calculate.

If you stick with 17" wheels, you'll have a lot more choices... Personally, I like my car to look just as good in the winter as the rest of the year, which is why I don't like to downsize... (but, that's just me).

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

EDIT: Some people think that extra 1/2" of sidewall lets the tire flex more, and find better tracton in deep snow.. Not sure that makes sense to me, but there you have it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good info - thanks. Since I already have 225/50 17 tires, I guess I'll stick with those and pickup some wheels.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    ...at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Fort Worth. Great engine; lots of torque and relatively free of compression ignition rattle. I would have liked a stick but the slushbox did pretty well. The rest of the car was okay, but not really my thing. It was a european SP which had several new/unique features. The HUD worked well, but didn't supply enough info. The car also had the lane departure warning system; I guess Munich wants to attract some customers from God's waiting rooms at Cadillac and Lincoln dealerships. The handling was above average, though I still don't care for BMW's Active Steering. The SP run flats were noticeably more harsh in terms of bump/thump when compared to the 21" go flats on my B7 loaner. Go figure...
    On the diesel evaluation sheet I stated:
    "Put this motor in a 3er coupe with the European M Sport package and I will buy one. Put it in a 1er M Sport 5 door hatch and I'll buy two."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Wow!! Great idea!!! Will do that next time for sure. I actually ended up going with the E350 and added the AMG rims for $2000.00

I still think the 535xi is a better car, but I need something for weekly driving as I am putting to many miles on my M35x. The E 350 4 matic will be my commuter car and the M35x wil be my weekend car. The 535xi performed as well as my M35x, so I decided to go with something less powerful with better gas mileage.

Thank You again for your advice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Did they announce the raffle winners? How do you find out who won?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Did they announce the raffle winners? How do you find out who won?

The names should be on the CCA site shortly, if they aren't there already. My son was at one party when they announced that one winner was from KY. Wasn't me, sad to say. :cry:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

... I actually ended up going with the E350 and added the AMG rims for $2000.00 ...

You could've saved a bunch of money on those wheels if you had gone to The Tire Rack's website. You can get the exact same wheels for, IIR, much less than $1K.
    I actually leased it. But Thank You for the helpful information. Greatly appreciated.
  • harryhaharryha Member Posts: 2
    2007 530xi with standard radio. If I turn off the car with a CD in the dash, when I restart the car, it has gone to a completely different place on the CD. This is true whether or not I pause the CD before shutting off the car. This issue is compounded by the fact that the fast forward and fast reverse functions are barely faster than regular play. So, on a long track of music, finding where I was before stopping is very tedious. I know, it's a BMW so it's about driving rather than listening to music. But does anyone know a fix or technique to keep this from happening?
    I think this is a known issue, and is fixed with a software update. I'd call your dealer.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I'm curious to know if anyone else saw the write up on the 535i in the Nov 07 issue of Sports Car International, as an inset in their article on the '08 CTS. If so, I was wondering what you thought about the critcism of the ride and handling of the 535i, which had the sports package.

I'm not familiar with this magazine, or their reputation, but they apparently liked the ride and handling of the CTS better, but preferred the engine and transmission of the 535i.

FYI, I have a 535Xi and think the balance between ride quality and handling is outstanding.

Thanks
    Bruce
    I spotted the Dodo bird yesterday!! I've always read the myth about it's existance, but I never thought I'd actually see one! I could NOT believe my eyes! I was 100% flabbergasted! I literally gasped and exclaimed aloud, "Oh my God!" My heart skipped a beat! I almost fell completely over!

What on Earth would cause such a reaction?? Ladies and Gentlement, I spotted... On the dealer lot... A new 550i Sport with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!! Just sitting there! In the open! Unabashed! For all to see!
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Actually, this is not so rare... many dealers have one or two of the higher performers in manual - when I ordered my 540 a few years ago, there were two manual 540's on the lot, (one a barely used demo).
    Other than an M5, I've never seen a manual equipped 5-series that I can recall. Let alone seeing a brand new 550i. I'm still in shock.
    Here is a bit of trivia for you - BMW magazine went through the production figures a few years ago, and found that the manual 540 (E39) was actually produced in fewer numbers than the M5 - Go figure.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I passed 100k miles Sunday driving back from Hilton Head. I have a 2002 530i SP, 5 speed, Euro Delivered.

After 100446 miles, I have averaged 52.5 MPH and 26.7 MPG. My costs that would have been covered by an extended maintenance/warranty package was $1402.45; but the right hand mirror quit lowering when shifted into reverse this afternoon.

My costs by year are: 2002, $117.59; 2003, $43.38; 2004, $1819.35; 2005, $1741.21; 2006, $1609.38; and 2007 to date, $1940.08.

My costs by category are: Scheduled, $2240.56; Recurring, $3019.07; Damage, $621.00; and Unscheduled, $1393.06.

Additionally, my gas mileage to Hilton Head was 30.37 MPG at 80-85 MPH and return gas mileage was 30.04 (more uphill) at 80-85 MPH.

I still love the way the car rides, drives and handles; I intend to keep it another 5 years and 100k miles.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    but the right hand mirror quit lowering when shifted into reverse this afternoon.

Make sure that the selector switch which controls which mirror you're adjusting is set for the driver's side, then it should lower when you hit Reverse.

My experience with a 2000 MY 528iA has been similar to yours except for a warranty repair to the Air Bag Control Module
    ($appx. $700 IIRC) and a non-warranty fix of the VANOS control thing-ama-jig ($1200). Other than that not much has gone wrong at 102,525 miles and counting. :shades:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Interesting to hear that there are actually people out there who get to 100K! Soooo many folks talk about cost to own, then tell me that they did 50K in 5 years...

I'm at 133K in my 2003 540I. It was the last of the E39 series. I've spent a bit more, since I've done a few things like replaced the cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat etc) brakes a few times, and more tires than you can shake a stick at.

Unfortunately the machine has left me stranded a couple of times - Blew an upper radiator hose in my driveway, at the end of a rather spirited 70 mile run... (ok, at least it was considerate enough to wait until I got home). Alternator quit, resulting in a tow, and those water cooled alternators are NOT cheap!

I still find it the best car, even though not as reliable as my Camry.... I still glance back when I walk away from it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. My wife drove some yesterday and adjusts the mirrors and seats separately instead of using the memory button.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    About the mirror problem, I have the exact same model, and while it could be that the switch is incorrectly positioned, this was one of the very few problems I've had with the car (was fixed under warranty, but I'm not sure exactly what was replaced.)

Unfortunately, more recently, the climate control has acted erraticly, hoping that it is an electrical gremlin that will settle down. Ever had any problems with yours? Curiously (or maybe not), my E34 (which was still running great at 102k miles when I sold it) also had some climate control electrical problems.
    I know you did not ask me, however... I'm having some issues with climate control too. Some possible solutions were suggested by Roadburner, over on the 5 series maintenance and problems board. Once I have time to chase it down I'll post what the cause was.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    NY, thanks for the 411, would much appreciate any info, sdg
    The mirror was the switch.

The AC fan sometimes speeds up or stops when you think it shouldn't, but it always soon corrects and I do not want it screwed up by someone trying to fix it. The radio has also increased in volume twice in 5 years, same decision.