Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Oggilby, Cmr530i,

I thank you for your empathy.

I had Pirelli P7 BMW Star (four seasons) tires; all four tires were put on the car at the same time, 17,600 miles ago. Flanks apparently were in good shape and drawings deep enough—I had checked it before journeying. Nevertheless, the highway patrol said that the tire blew because of its rolling over a sharp piece of debris. Although I feel I remember I had seen some piece of black something on the pavement an instant before the accident, I cannot honestly say whether this was real or I have dreamed of it.

Regards,
    Jose
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I replied to you in the other discussion, but let me just repeat how glad I am that you and your family suffered no injuries.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Glad to hear you and your family are OK! Happy New Year!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    last year. An estimated 3,000 died from second hand smoke. So do you smoke or hang out in a smoke filled bar? I would not. Most smoker say the same dribble you said above. We are all going to eventually die so why quite smoking.

You did not give the full statistics. "Side impacts were still killing about 9,800 people and injure more than a million every year". So what's a mere million injuries. What about our kids that sit in the rear of our cars?

Did you pay attention to the video? These were very serious injuries to the chest, internal organs and pelvic bones.

Another statistic "While side-impact collisions cause about 25 percent of all injuries to car occupants, they cause more than 35 percent of serious and fatal injuries. And more than half of the serious and fatal injuries in side-impact collisions are to the head." Yes, BMW did protect your head but not the rest of your body.

Thank god, Jose and his family are okay. Had it been a T- bone collision unfortunately the outcome may not have been the same.

Basically, I'm just looking to stack the odds in favor of my wife and kid who sit in the rear "sides" of my car.

So my friend, I believe you are wrong or we agree that we disagree.
    I do not think it was a press event. The guy I know test drives for one of the mags.

BTW, the car calling BMW Assist is a great idea.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I have attentively watched the video on lateral impact against the 5 Series car. One thing I find it was different in that car regarding mine is that in my 2004 530d there were two airbags lateral to each front seat: one for the head and the other for the body. The latter coming out from the door panel, ripping off the upholstery. I cannot find such a lateral air bag for the body in the video. Each rear seat only had one (head) lateral airbag in my car, however.

On the other hand, I believe my lateral collisions were not so brutal as that one depicted in the video. Neither were they so perpendicular to the flank car. My car, even if spinning horizontally on the asphalt, kept always some amount of forward motion.

…

Pat, Nyccarguy, Jegg, I thank you for your gladness. Sure enough, my family and I will happily celebrate this next New Year. I wish as well a happy New Year to everyone in this forum.

Jose
  • og_oggilbyog_oggilby Member Posts: 27
    My friend, I think you are missing my point. While there is nothing wrong with trying to stack the odds in your favor, you are still putting to much weight into a single statistic. Some cars handle better than others in adverse situations, allowing you to avoid (or lessen the impact of) accidents. As far as I know, there is no NHTSA statistic that shows that. Some people are better drivers than others and are aware of their surroundings, such as a dangerous intersection that they drive through on a regular basis, so they slow down slightly and glance in both directions as they approach the intersection. Some people talk on their cellphones, pay no attention to other drivers or the situation, and trust that nothing is going to hit them. Which type is more likely to get T-Boned? Where is the statistic for it?

"Had it been a T- bone collision unfortunately the outcome may not have been the same". How often do you think people get T-boned cruising on a two-lane highway at 75 miles per hour?

Yes, thank god Jose and his family are fine. I would imagine that Jose is pretty happy he and his family were in his BMW. If they were in a lesser car, the results of the accident could have been tragic. Where is the statistic for that?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I'm a little confused:

bruceomega: "I remember reading about a long distance drive BMW hosted when the 2008 5 series were released, providing a set of all the 5 series models for the press to take turns driving from Nevada to California"

Your reply: I know one of those drivers who witnessed that accident. The passenger was okay, the driver had injuries. I'm not sure to what extent but he did have to be hospitalized.

My reply to you:If it is the press event drive, the driver was only held for observation relating to back injuries.

Your reply to me:I do not think it was a press event. The guy I know test drives for one of the mags.

:confuse:

Not a real biggie and I'm not trying to do a "gotcha"... I'm just a detail kind of guy. ;)

There was a writeup in Roundel about the accident... just curious if it is the same one. It sounds like it is, but from what I remember of the writeup, I think the author siad that there wasn't anyone around when it happened, and "... by the time the people behind us had caught up, the car had already called BMW Assist to report the accident." (my paraphrase - not a direct quote).
    Jose, thanks for the good wishes and the same for you and your family.

I'm sure this accident keeps playing over in your head. I have no doubt that the car saved you guys. I'm sure your driving abilities and the cars electronics kicked in too.

If I had a blowout at 75 mph, a BMW would be one of my choices (if I could pick one:)). I'm sure BMW will address the side crash issue real soon. Then my only reservation with the 5 series is the auto transmission shifter, the turn signal mechanism and the lack of an oil dip stick. Can't wait for the flames on those things:)
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Even your BMW salesman will tell you that the crash ratings are horrible. Its not a safe car, but a fin car to drive. As long as you dont have kids, you should surely buy the car.

It ranks LAST in safety, but towards the top in fun!
    >"Its not a safe car"

I'd challenge that. I'm not challenging the side impact ratings for the one test done, but I'd dispute the statement "It's not a safe car". I bought a 2006 Lexus GS300 due to the expected safety, but it ended up with the lowest rear impact ratings possible. Even with that I wouldn't say "It's not a safe car".

>It ranks LAST in safety

You meant to say that it's side impact rating was the lowest possible, right? Instead of implying that out of all the cars in it's group, it's last - right?
    "Even your BMW salesman will tell you that the crash ratings are horrible. Its not a safe car, but a fin car to drive. As long as you dont have kids, you should surely buy the car.

It ranks LAST in safety, but towards the top in fun!"

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (about the BMW 5 series), frontal offset test is rated as "Good", rear crash protection (with comfort seats) has an "Acceptable/Good rating". I would imagine that will be even better with the new (current) headrest design that was introduced after the tests. The side impact test for front passengers is "Marginal", yet the side impact test for rear passengers is rated as "Good", so your kids should be fine. Please get your facts straight.

The info is here:
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    At the other end of the spectrum to the Lexus GS300 and the BMW 5 series, the 2008 Cadillac CTS has been ranked by IIHS as a Top Safety Pick.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=665&srccd=de20080110
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I saw a new Accord parked the other day, and something kept drawing my attention to it outside of the new styling per se. I finally guessed, and then looked up some dimensions on the web.

The new Accord is 3" longer than my 535Xi. That really surprised me.

Not that the Accord and 5 series are competitors, but the new Accord really highlighted to me the general trend to larger and larger cars.

I hope BMW does not succumb, and keeps the new 5 series more compact than it's LPS competitors.

Bruce
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The Accords also bigger inside than the 5-series.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    The Accords also bigger inside than the 5-series

I suspect it's noticeably larger inside given the packaging advantages of the FWD layout, not that I care.

I noticed a resemblance to the E60 in the side profile of the Accord.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• gypsydaveygypsydavey Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,
    The transmission went on my 92 BMW 535 and I live in the island of kauai in Hawaii. I bought the car off a mechanic who did a bunch of work and then the dude left the island. I paid about 2300 for the car and six months later the trans went with only 140,000 miles. The interior is a bit beat up, the A/C doesnt work, and the car stalls on a cold start, but besides that the car runs well (or it did) and the body is in great shape.
    The question is this:
    Do you think it is worth fixing the transmission and where is a good place to get a used one?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, considering you are in hawaii, its kind of tough to say where to get a used one. Getting one shipped might not be cost effective. But, then again, what are the chances you'll find one locally?

Need to know total cost of getting a trans and the install before a decision can be made to whether or not its worth it. I'd say chances are slim. You might try finding a trans shop and seeing what they'd want for a rebuild.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gypsydaveygypsydavey Member Posts: 2
    I found a used one on ebay for 795 annd I got a guy who will do it for 550. With shipping, I'm looking at around $1500.
    how worn is the used one on ebay?

if you could replace it and be confident the car will be good to you for at least another year, then its probably worth $1500 considering you aren't going to find a car as nice for that much, right?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gophastergophaster Member Posts: 6
    I am going to be ordering a 2008 535i shortly and I want to confirm whether or not the transmission is the same if I get the standard "free" Steptronic or the optional Sport Auto? Is the part number for the transmission itself GA6HP26ZTU regardless??

Thanks
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    Why do so many people COMPLAIN about the lack of a dipstick in new BMW engines? It's a regular complaint in the forums.

You don't need a dipstick. You check oil levels using iDrive or the onboard computer. Instead of warming up the engine, parking, shutting off the engine, getting out and fumbling around a dirty engine compartment, you push a couple buttons while driving and it shows you the oil level, even at highway speeds. A dipstick is less accurate and people are more likely to check their oil levels if the process is more convenient.

One person in a post last year actually said that s/he paid a mechanic to drain the oil, measure it and then put it back in because the mechanic told him/her it was the only way to check the oil level.

Honestly, I don't know why people pay a premium for a vehicle that's loaded with technology and then not even bother to crack open the owner's manual. Look in the index under "oil".
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Why do so many people COMPLAIN about the lack of a dipstick in new BMW engines?"

Two reasons:
    1) Many of the oil level sensors have proven to be problematic when condensation gets into them, and
    2) Many of us (me included) prefer to perform oil changes by using an oil extractor, and that requires a dip-stick.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Honestly, I don't know why people pay a premium for a vehicle that's loaded with technology and then not even bother to crack open the owner's manual.

This statement is actually pretty funny - I was in Florida with a friend... new 5 Series while I am driving his sister's older 3 series. Suddenly his flashers go on, and his speed drops. My cell rings and he asks me to do a look see around the car as we rolled - I-drive indicated low tire pressure. I see nothing. We pull over (first leg of a 300 mile trip), use a guage, and the tire is fine. Complete the trip, get the car in to the dealer, and get told "yeah, some of them do that". Point I am making is that simply touting that the oil pressure monitor makes a dipstick completely unneeded is not reasonable at this point. As a compromise, why not leave the dipstick, add the electronics to make it "easier" (though I believe that anyone who was not bothering to check the oil by opening the hood is not going to bother to check it otherwise) and satisfy those of us who actually do things like change oil, or check levels?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    As a compromise, why not leave the dipstick, add the electronics to make it "easier" (though I believe that anyone who was not bothering to check the oil by opening the hood is not going to bother to check it otherwise) and satisfy those of us who actually do things like change oil, or check levels?

That makes too much sense. BMW appears to be committed to making their cars impossible to service outside of the dealer network. The people who wear their Bimmers are leasing them and don't want to risk breaking a nail by opening the hood, which suits BMW just fine. Did you know that BMW has now eliminated the drain plug on the final drive? I found that out while I was getting the ATF and TC fluid changed on my wife's 2004 X3... :mad:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

... Instead of warming up the engine, parking, shutting off the engine, getting out and fumbling around a dirty engine compartment, ...

You've never changed/checked oil a day in your life, have you? :sick: Most of us check the oil level when the engine is cool/cold (as in, before even starting it for the day or next day.) And there's no "fumbling around," the dipstick is just right there; one of the first things you (normally would) see when you open the hood. It is faster to manually check the oil than fumbling around in iDrive. If you've even used iDrive to check the levels, you'd notice that it takes a little bit for the computer to take the measurements.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    On my '08 550i only after 2,600 miles the oil sensor indicated I had too much oil. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out. After they changed the oil it again indicated too much oil. So now I am being told it is a software problem. So are you saying you feel comfortable paying over 71K for a vehicle and only have "idiot lights" to warn you if there is a problem? If there is a software issue then how can you trust any of the other information? And what if there was a problem, like the water pump failed and the defective software didn't alert you. NO, these cars should come with proper instrumentation that indicate oil pressure and water temp.! You can damn sure bet I am going to research and find what aftermarket company makes these type instruments for BMW.
    Actually, I was taken aback by the tone of Anon's criticism about my "lack of dip stick" opinion. So thanks for all the replies in my defense.

BTW, Audi lacks a dipstick to check the auto transmission fluid level. Something I never agreed with. Any flames on that :)
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    Just my own opinion, but we have one car with a dipstick, '06 X3, and one with the iDrive readout, '08 535Xi. I prefer the iDrive readout.

This assumes the iDrive method works correctly, and I don't change my own oil.

As an aside, I was very skeptical of iDrive from all that I had read in the motoring press, but the more I use it the more I like it.

Bruce
    As posted above, why not have both?

BTW, I can usually tell if my oil is 1/2 a qt. short, based on engine noise and my temp gauge but I don't expect others to be that tuned in to their cars.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    BTW, I can usually tell if my oil is 1/2 a qt. short, based on engine noise and my temp gauge but I don't expect others to be that tuned in to their cars

I seriously doubt that there would be any detectable change in engine note or temp unless you were seriously low (i.e. a couple of quarts or more).

FYI most modern cars have temp gauges that point straight up once you reach operating temp and do not go past the mid-point unless they're seriously out of range because BMW and other car makers have decided too many customers complain if their cars run slightly hot or cold as they do in very extreme ambient temps.

IMO eliminating the temp gauge as BMW has done in the new E90/92 is worse than having no dipstick since a failed fan or radiator leak is more likely than being low on oil between changes.

It goes without saying that I'd rather have both. I go back to the days when a sports car or sedan would tell you the oil temp and pressure as well as the generator/ alternator output. The more i9nfo the better!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• andys27587andys27587 Member Posts: 1
    I am debating between a 528xi and 535xi, and looking for anyone that might have faced a similar dilemma. I am coming out of a 4 cyl Honda accord with 185k, so either car will be a dramatic improvement. 528xi probably has all of the power I "need" but I want to be sure that I have no regrets. I have driven both and both are great cars. I am leaning toward the 528, but am wondering if I will be craving the extra hp in a few months.

I typically drive my cars a long time, so this is a 5-7 year decision.
    As I stated above, I definitely can see and hear the difference. It's okay if you don't, I find no fault in you. Try in your heart to believe me.

BTW, I drive an A6 which has a temp gauge and oil dipstick but minus an automatic transmission dipstick.

BTW, BTW: Some of you BMW guys are really hostile. On the Audi sites I usually don't see that many negative/attack posts. Would you believe I almost leased a 535 xi. Good thing I didn't lease that 535 xi ..... jeez :D;)
    If you drove a 4-cyl Accord for 185k miles, I don't see you craving anything with a 528. :)

>On the Audi sites I usually don't see that many negative/attack posts

I've spent time at AudiWorld. Compared to them, we're Gandhi. :P
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    You base your car buying on website dialog? Are you kidding? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    .. that we couldn't be nicer, though.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mqc99mqc99 Member Posts: 6
    We fit almost the identical profile... My last car was also a 12-year old 4 cyl Accord (I still have it), I also tend to drive my cal for a long time. But, I just recently bought a 535i. I must say that I am very happy with my decision. I tested both the 528i and the 535i and ended up getting the 535i. I wanted to have the extra pick-up in the 535i. I am not a fast driver. But, I want to have that extra power available to me when I need it. The few thousand dollars difference in price will not matter that much - especially when you are going to keep the car for a few years. But, you will enjoy driving it more. I'd say go for the 535xi. ;)
    bug4. In all honesty, it'd be difficult to say that I'd prefer my 550i Sport to my '05 Mustang GT overall. There's just "something" about driving a Mustang; especially the current gen one. My GT was more visceral than my 550i, as it should be considering the type of car it is. I guess if I thought hard about it, I'd choose my 550i overall, but not for drive dynamics or status, but because it is more convenient; four doors and such.

The 550i Sport is a great performance sedan. That in and of itself puts it at a natural disadvantage to the Mustang GT sports coupe. The Mustang's smaller and more nimble. Barreling down and around a twisty mountain road, I'd feel more confident in my GT than my 550i Sport. HOWEVER, I must admit that I had some minor suspension modifications to my GT. I swapped in some 18" wheels, Eibach Pro-kit springs, and BMR tubular subframe connectors. Just with those, the handling limits skyrocketed. (Embarrassed more than a few 3-series Sport drivers. ;) ) Now stock-for-stock, I'd probably feel better in the 550i Sport because it has the stability control to help me out if things went squirrely. (I've caused it to kick in a couple of times already. :surprise: ) But a stock GT would still probably get around the bends faster, given equal drivers.

I love my 550i Sport, to be sure! I truly miss my '05 GT. The sounds. The feel. The giddyup. The limited slip differential! :P The fact that my 550i Sport has some V8 rumble, muffled though it is, and a manual transmission eases the sting a little bit, but I still have a little twinge everytime I see/hear a new Mustang GT go by.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    tayl0rd -- Thanks . . very interesting! I admire a guy that will buy a 5 series with a manual transmission . . my definition of heaven!! Again, I haven't driven the 550i sport - but my time with a 540i sport seemed to reveal the perfect blend between straight-line luxury and performance in the twisties :D
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    i recently purchased a 550i sport auto and look like my gas mileage is converging on ~17.5 MPG mixed driving. i am driving the 550 slower (break-in and weather) than the 03 540i6 that it replaces, but 540 turned in ~22 MPG over its whole life. has anyone noticed low mileage on a 550?

overall the car is great, esp like the bluetooth now that i got the phone to synch.

thanks.
    Look like you should have bought the 535 :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Your gas mileage will improve a bit in time as the engine breaks in.
    It's not an "oil pressure monitor" that only tells you when the oil is low.

It's an electronic gauge that tells you the exact oil level and it is more accurate than a dipstick. BMW even made the gauge look like a dipstick for those of you who have a hard time adapting to this decade's technology.
    What makes no sense is someone saying that swapping the manual dipstick for an electronic one somehow makes the vehicle impossible to service outside the dealer network.
    Never changed/checked oil a day in my life? Whatever.

Yes, I've used iDrive considering that I've owned 5 BMWs with iDrive (and 9 without). And yes I have noticed that it takes "a while" for iDrive to produce an oil level reading when the engine is cold. That's because the reading is taken when the engine reaches operating temperature. By design. And you can check the oil electronically using the on board computer of recent BMWs without iDrive, which unfortunately also requires you to actually read the owner's manual.

People who yearn for the last century when they could play backyard mechanic might as well just get used the idea of technology being embedded in every component of modern vehicles. That technology is bringing 500 - 600 hp (and more) of racing technology into our garages with 0 - 60 times in the low 4 second range while still getting close to 20 mpg on the highway while being comfortably driven on a daily commute. And if you think it's bad now, wait until you get under the hood of a hydrogen vehicle or any of half a dozen new technologies currently in development.

The bottom line: don't spend 70 grand or more on a new BMW (or a Mercedes, or a Porsche, or a even a $30k Prius) if you're a technophobe and you yearn for the do-it-yourself mechanical simplicity of a Ford Pinto. And if you want to prove that you're a real man (or woman) because you can use a dipstick, get yourself an eight year old Chevy and have at it.
    Geeze, Anon.... what's with the hostility? So some of us find dipsticks useful.... so sue us. No one is questioning technology.... when appropriate, we simply don't agree that this particular "step forward" is so great. You are ignoring the point of my post - at least with the tire pressure monitor one does have the option of using a gauge.... if the "electronic gauge" fails, you have no recourse but to pull over, shut down, and call a tow truck - I assume you would agree that an indication of extreme low oil level would mean shut down until you could verify that there was not a problem.
    BTW, if I copyright the saying, I'll get my lawyer after you if you keep on using it ;-)

Ny540i6, you don't understand Anon's hostility? Why not ask him what gives with the three consecutive posts - one after the other?

BTW, I really hate the auto gear selector. Another piece of ...ah... technological marvel.
    ...but I don't know how. ;)
    BTW, I also hate the signal/blinker mechanism. Another technological marvel on the 5 series.