Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

1242243244245246248»

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I love that site. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Let us know what mpg you get out of the transmission on highway, etc...
  • grjohnsonjrgrjohnsonjr Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2010 535i. It has virtually every option, except the lane-departure system. Can that be added to the car, and what is it likely to cost? Will the BMW dealer do that, or is that purely an aftermarket addition?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    My guess is that it would be quite expensive to add that feature. WOrth a try asking, though. The software in the car would need to be updated to accommodate it, along with adding the sensors and actuators to the brakes and steering. Lots of parts, that probably don't exist on your car. I'm not sure where the sensors are, but guess in the mirrors. That'd mean changing the mirrors, maybe the wiring harness, and lots of other bits.

Good luck, I doubt it will happen, but I'd be curious the response you get from the dealer if you do ask.
  • grjohnsonjrgrjohnsonjr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. Maybe I'll ask but if you're right, it probably too expensive to undertake. I can live without it, I'm sure.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    SPAM!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    ...Lame Spam at that.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• loupaloupa Member Posts: 7
    have a 2011 535i with 1100 miles on it. No sports package. The car pulls to the right all the time in all driving conditions.
    I took it to the BMW dealer, they checked out the car. It meets all BMW specs. Tires are OK along with TP.
    The BMW service manager stated they do not have a fix, and they have elevated the problem to BMW engineering. Also I have heard many new 2011 535i have similar problems?????
    I am waiting for an answer at this time.
    Does anyone out there have a new 2011 535i and has similar problmes?
    Could the problem be with the new electric steering?
    Beside this problem the car is great, gas mileage is super.

Loupa
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I'm torn as I have found a 2008 535xi with 39K miles and it's a CPO. My question is that Consumer Reports has the 2008 535 on their "avoid list" No indication as to i or xi. opinions? Should I look for a 528xi instead? Thanks
  • pcmanpcman Member Posts: 8
    Im convinced Consumer Reports has some kind of agenda. Twice in the past we've bought cars they 'recommended' and seen the same car on the 'avoid' list a year or 2 later. Same thing went for a TV and a washer/ dryer. Not to mention that none of these products gave us any trouble. I long ago cancelled my subscription because of these boneheads.

I bought a 2008 535 w/ 28k miles about a year ago (not a cpo). After driving the Infiniti, Acura, Audi, and Lexus there was really no comparison in how much better the BMW drives. Knock on wood, I absolutely love this car and have no trouble with it. I bought the 535 because i wanted something fast and i drive it pretty hard. If you drop back to the 528 you'll certainly get a decent car but its probably going to perform about like the other cars in it's class. Did they say why to avoid this car?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Same here w CR. I bought a 4runner which was on its most-reliable-ever list and nearly wound up lemoning it.

The twin turbo BMW engines, which are in the 535 but not the 528, have had problems with high pressure fuel pumps failing.
    I agree re: CR; their surveys aren't even close to being a representative sample. The only problem with the E60 535i is, as mentioned above, the HPFP, and BMW now covers it for 100K miles- CPO or not.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the response. No, there was no explanation. The interesting thing is that they did recco the 535 in their 2009 April Cars Edition, but did not in the 2010 edition.
    BMW has shifted to a single turbo 300 hp this year. But I am glad to hear you have had no issues with yours.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Well, after a five year hiatus from driving BMWs (due to starting another business), my economic fortunes seem to be changing for the better and may once again allow me to get back to driving something I really want to drive.

With the above in mind, I paid a long over due visit to the BMW USA web site and was shocked to find that one cannot configure a 528i with a manual transmission. What's up with that? :confuse:

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited August 2010
    It appears that the 535i is - but the 528i is not...
    Odd

[ edit ]
    Even more odd - this combo appears to have
    been available in 2010...

http://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2010-bmw-5_series-4dr_sdn_528i_rwd-used-5955366.- html
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yeah I saw that, but given that I have a 16 year-old at home, there's no way I want to (occasionally) turn him loose with a 535i 6-Speed. :P That and my feeling is that the 2011 528i (with the unobtainium grade 6-Speed) will have about the same performance as my (former) 2002 530i 5-Speed; which was more than enough for my needs (but not necessarily my wants and desires). I wonder if I order a 528i 6-Speed via the European Delivery program like I did with my 530i.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'm glad you're on your way to turning around your fortunes. Your kid is 16 already! Wow! Good luck & keep us posted!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

shipo, you need to find a dealer with a close working relationship to BMW AG. Sometimes they can accomplish much more than the average dealer.
    Anyway, I'm glad to see you are returning to the BMW fold :D

Thanks for the tip. ;)

Regarding the return to the BMW fold, I'm not there just yet, but things are definitely starting to look brighter :shades: .
  • mfarrell65mfarrell65 Member Posts: 3
    Can I hear from some 535 owners who don't have the Dynamic Handling package and your thoughts on the car.

I have a 2011 535 x drive without sport and dynamic handling package on order (with Premium 2, ventilated seats and a few other nice options). It seemed fine during the test drive without the dynamic handling but based on some of the posts, many are saying it's something to get. My basis for comparison was my 2008 535xi. I didn't get dynamic handling because it required the sport package and I'd prefer to stay with the 18 inch all season tires. I do expect to drive in slippery conditions and snow (thus the x drive). :)

Are folks who don't have dynamic handling happy with the drive?

Thanks
  • sbrown8244sbrown8244 Member Posts: 5
    I've been suffering with poor AM radio reception for years in my 2004 BMW 530i especially when near power lines, but wonder is there anything out there, after-market or otherwise that I can install to help boost the AM reception?
    I don't believe I've ever heard of an AM radio that didn't buzz and pop when near power lines.
  • bett12bett12 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All...
    Any input on AWD vs RWD? Specifically, a 2008 CPO 528. I live in the northeast and have driven FWD for years and am considering the xi.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    go with the RWD 528i and get yourself a set of 4 dedicated winter tires mounted on 4 different wheels. This way you get better gas mileage & performance the other 359 days a year it doesn't snow here in the Northeast.

The RWD car with snow tires will be lighter and therefore stop shorter and manuver quicker around objects.

The perceived notion is that AWD will help you get going and you'll never get stuck. While AWD does help you start, it doesn't help you stop. What's the only part of your car that has contact with the road? The tires.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I concur with nyccarguy. I drove my '00528iA as my sales sled in NH and had no problems getting to/from work or around on sales calls.. I found out the hard way that even an AWD w the wrong tires will get stuck on a slippery hill so I figured if I'm gonna need snows anyway I might as well enjoy RWD the remaining 3/4 of the year.

• bett12bett12 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, guys. AWD sounds appealing and I was tempted. The idea that you can "do more" in inclement weather and somehow be safer is an urban legend, I guess. My brother agrees with you, and also mentioned the expense that goes with it should there be a problem. But, how much of an investment do I need for 4 winter tires and wheels? You can tell I haven't researched that yet!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    A set of aftermarket wheels with winter tires and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack would probably run you around $1400-$1500... Keep in mind, that when you are on your winter tires, you aren't wearing out your other set, so it isn't entirely an added cost...

It's funny.. I'm helping an acquaintance try to sell her winter set-up (off an '08 528i).. Two seasons on the tires... .she is asking $695 (tires/wheels/sensors). I've seen similar set-ups for sale in forum classifieds for $450-$900.... so, there are options besides new..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Snow tires, regardless of the wheels that are driven will help you stop faster, and get going in inclement weather. BUT, AWD will also get you around a corner faster and with less drama (actually it will get you started quicker, too). There are some interesting videos and discussions on www.tirerack.com that both show it and chart it. At 25mph, the rear-wheel drive vehicle (with the same tires) ran off the corner while the AWD one just drove around it. The differences in time to speed were enlightening, too, even with the traction control and the same tires on the same cars. For most of my driving time, I've lived where it snows, and prefer good snowtires to an all-season in the winter, and they're required if your other set are summer only tires (which really are crap when it gets cold and/or slippery in the winter). If you happen to want to drive into most parts of Canada, snowtires are now required, from what I read, during winter. All-seasons don't cut it anymore.
  • tommnytommny Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 550i which is still under the CPO warranty. last week the navigation screen stopped working (no navigation, radio etc.) oddly enough my cell phone still showed the blue tooth was engaged. I took to the dealer and he advised me the diagnostic tool was not communicating with the i drive. They did a " soft" reset which they said did not work. I was then advised that they would need to due a software upgrade for $500 (they said not covered by CPO) to see if that fixes the problem. They said if this did not work, they would have to install a new CMC $2100+500 already spent, to possible fix the problem. Mdoes anybody know what the problem is (they dont) yet they claim it not covered under the CPO!! Am i getting the run around? BTW i love the car.
  • tommyj3tommyj3 Member Posts: 4
    The ABS light will come on and the transmission will not shift properly. What could be the problem? Thanks.
    Need more information, in what ways does the Trans not shift properly? A/T or manual?

My guess is a wheel speed sensor.

• mfarrell65mfarrell65 Member Posts: 3
    Now that I've had my new '11 535xi car for just over a week, I can say that I am quite satisfied without the dynamic handling package. Versus my 08 535xi, the drive is definitely more comfortable. The car is bigger and you can tell a bit in the cornering but overall there is very little difference to my old one and the car is still great to drive. I did not drive the dynamic handling so I'm sure there is an improvement and the ability to adjust the transmission is likely fun but I'm not disappointed in the slightest without it.

Net, I love the car thus far (and the new style is fantastic). So far so good.

:shades:
  • geo2003e39geo2003e39 Member Posts: 2
    greetings, I own 2003 530 E39 with the sports package on. I do have summer and winter tires which I change myself before winter arrives. A friend of mine has E60 545 with SP which he changed his original tires on to 20 inch. This means he has a set of 4 summer tires/rims (245/40-18 and 275/35-18) from his original equipment. He has offered these to me for very reasonable price. As it turns out my summer tires are almost bold so I was going to get a set anyway for next year. So, here is the question - can I replace my original 17 inch summer set with his e60 18 inch? If so, any advantages / disadvantages I should be concerned about... Thanks

BTW, my car has 74K miles on it and has been a dream ownership experience since I bought it
    You'd better check w your dealer. My guess would be that there are different bolt patterns for E60 cars so you can't use those wheels on your E39.

There are lots of things to consider when trying to determine if a wheel will fit:
    - overall diameter
    - offset
    - bolt pattern
    and probably more.
    ...but, I think you will be okay with the bolt pattern... It's the offset that won't work.... The same holds true for E90 vs. E46....

I think the tire sizes are okay... it's just the wheels..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010
    Based on my test drives of 2011 535 xi, there is definitely a difference when driving one with the dhp. The car feels much tighter and the steering feels more precise, though nowhere close to the 2010 3 series.

I played around with building a 5 series from the BMW website, and every time I added the dhp, the price went up considerably, anywhere from 4900 or more depending on other options selected. This drove the price into the upper 50k range and most often over 60k.

Not sure I like this pricing strategy very much, coupled with the posts i read about the transmission issues made me hold off on inking a deal. I am hoping BMW will address these shortcomings rather quickly otherwise I will look at other luxury midsize (no longer sport) sedan options.
  • stratapropstrataprop Member Posts: 19
    How does the Sport Package affect the handling/drive of the 2011 BMW 535i? I have driven one without a Sport Package, and the handling/drive is not as good as in my 2008 535i with the Sport Package. I have been told by the dealer that (1) the handling difference is due to the longer wheelbase of a bigger car, (2) the Sport Package does not improve handling or have a stiffer suspension, and (3) you need to buy the Dynamic Handling Package in order to get better handling. Does anyone know if this is true, or have experience driving the car with the different packages? Thanks.
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
  • houstondriverhoustondriver Member Posts: 5
    I love the new 5 series and am considering a 550. Also considering an M56. One big issue for me is reliability. I currently have a GS430 and have not had a single problem with it for 95k miles. I know this may be hard to quantify, but any comments on the reliability of a new 550 vs. an M56 would be appreciated, or general reliability of BMWs. I'm thinking their record is not the best but not sure how to quantify.
    I don't know what kind of shape your Lexus is in after 95K miles but I think you won't know how good a Fiver is until you've flipped the nines on the odometer. That's a round about way of saying that the BMW may give a few problems at first but will still be a sturdy reliable ride after the Japanese contemporaries have been melted down for razor blades

-E39 owner-130K and counting.

• ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2011
    There is a reason they say trust advices from internet at your own risk... $5,500 is the fix my friend needed last year on his 2001 E39.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    The current statistics on my 2002 530i (5 speed, sport package, European Delivered).

167744 miles, 26.6 MPG, 49.9 MPH average, $19,052.02 maintenance cost ($0.115/mile)
  • jacqueslanjacqueslan Member Posts: 10
    Are the issue HPFP resolve? Do they have other issues? Sales rep says no issues. Pls advise if need to stay away.

Thanks
  • sandytozsandytoz Member Posts: 1
    Shopping for a 1st car for my son, found a BMW530i 1994 automatic for under $1000. Was in a wreck with most of the damage on the passenger side front quarter panel/grille/bumper. Has brake problems, power steering issues, 199,000 miles.
    The kid has good taste & a job so I'm not worried about that, anything else I should be finding out about before we pull the trigger?
    Will it be a big deal finding parts so he can fix this car up?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Wrecked car with bad brakes and steering. Wouldn't put my kid in it but YMMV.
    Parts are likely to be fairly expensive..

Plus, the '94 530i is a V-8... Parts related to that engine are likely to be even pricier..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• joevalderama3joevalderama3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of buying my first 98 bmw 528i , 165000 miles on it from a private owner. All I heard about bmw's are : very expensive to maintain, expensive parts. Since I have a limited budjet so Im afraid that my will be new experience with bmw would dig some big holes in my pocket. I also have no idea about the car maintenance records, previous owner(S). Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and helpful.
  • joevalderama3joevalderama3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently driving a 96 nissan maxima who aren't in a good shape, plus some cosmetics problems. so should I stick with my it or go for the 98 528i?