Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• davv62davv62 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2001 530i without the sport package. I agree that the regular tires are probably fine based on my experience last winter with my car. I drove up to Vermont in a snowstorm and had no problem.

I know a guy with a 2000 528 with the sport package, and he said that with the regular tires, his car is useless in the snow. I also know a guy with a Mercedes C43 AMG with the sport package who says the same thing, and I saw it demonstrated first hand when he took it up to Vermont in the same snowstorm as I did. The car performed very poorly on snowy roads. So I would say, if you get the sport package, definitely get snow tires.

I opted for the 530 over the 540 because of (1)cost (2)gas mileage (3)insurance cost and (4)most importantly, I did not think that I could make use of the extra power provided by the 540. I found the 530 a thrill to drive and still do. It certainly does not fall short in the type of performance that I demand. I like fast acceleration and the 530 provides it, so I did not think all the extra costs of the 540 brought a real benefit.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    It would set me back 41,200 with no option, I know it is not what you may want to hear, but since you asked. Surprisingly, there aren't that many M series on the road here due to high insurance cost. So order today, it would be in my garage by March.

If the economy keeps up, I dont know, my Integra may not make it back home, but M3 just might. :-)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..on an M3. Roughly $4,700 under US list, assuming the $41.2 doesn't include freight. However, adding the $4,000 to $5,000 in options I would want to that number, plus $1,000 gas guzzler tax and $645 freight would put it in the $47-48k range (n/i sales tax) . A great deal, but still about $6,000 more than I could get a well loaded 530i 5-speed for through discounted ED. Very tempting, if I didn't need a sedan that had a little more versitility. And, although I reconciled getting a $32k S2000 and keeping my Nissan Maxima, I would have a tougher time reconciling getting a near $48k M3 and still needing to keep my Maxima. So, now, what can you get an M5 for??!!

riez: Glad to hear you didn't need to exercise the full capabilities of the 540i 6-speed to enjoy it with the kids in the car. And I do understand what you mean. Even though I've been driving my new S2000 less aggressively than some push an Accord, it's nice knowing that I have extraordinary capabilities available, if and when I want to use them. And even at lower speeds the preciseness of the S2000's transmission, engine and chassis can still be appreciated. My only point for others debating which 5 series to get was that a 530i sport can match the handling of a 540i 6-speed and gives up much less in acceleration than the old 528i did. But if YOU really like the extra power, then by all means, a 540i is the right choice. (Assuming you don't start sliding down the slippery slope and end up craving an M5! That was my fear - that perhaps if I couldn't be satisfied with a 530i's power, I would get carried away and end up with a $75,000 deficit in my checking account!)
    M5 would come in at 62,900, no freight that I know of out here, and no lux tax or sales tax. This is why the most majority of lux cars on any US base here is BMW. All those 20-some year old enlisted guys save up a few years and take home a BMW.

You can even specify some options that are not available in US. My 530i is getting the factory clear corner and active (massage) seat option, which is really handy on long trips when your butt starts going numb.
    ..if I were you and couldn't satisfy myself with the performance of 530i to the point of justifying $10k more for a 540i, then it would be pretty easy to justify another $10k over a 540i for a $62,900 M5! And, as much as I have touted the virtues of the 530i as being almost the equal of a 540i, there is nothing on the planet quite like the experience of driving an M5. I had a 2001 for an afternoon a year ago and the dealer (a friend) had to use a crow bar to get me out of it.

Seriously though, if you bought a 2002 M5 for under $65k, drove it for two years and brought it back to the states with under 30k miles, I would guess you could sell it for close to $57-60k. Although the up front price is a big bite, the net cost would probably be less than a Honda Accord. That's the kind of thinking that landed me in a Honda S2000 "for just a year or two, 'Honey'". Hopefully, I won't grow too attached to it by the time we opt for a new sedan. As for the M5, I probably would end up owning it for life (undoubtedly shortened by my wife!).

Thanks for the tempting teases.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    is to take one of each I guess. Seriously, this discussion is more useful (& more enjoyable) than the one's with the dealer, or even reading mags on the subjects.

RE: snow tires. If you have the sport package, am I correct to assume that you go back to the 16" wheels and tires for snows in order to get something narrower?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    What are the current money factors and residual percentages on 2002 530's for 36/39 months? Are there any better deals going through someone other than BMW's finance company?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey Jim,

Are you the same Jim (from the Philly area if my memory serves me correctly) that was 3-Series shopping back in 1998 and 1999 when I was engaged in the same activity on these very boards?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It is me. Looks like we are on the same schedule. My lease is up in March or April and I am just beginning to shop for my next car. I have not driven anything yet but am being drawn to the 530. A few of my friends who were interested in a 5 series ended up with a Lexus GS300 so I'll probably check that out too. Have you gotten any figures on the 530 yet?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    habitat1... I completely concur with your trenchant commentary regarding 530i manual, 540i manual, and M5! My current dream is buying a Certified Pre-Owned M5, say a 2002/3 in around 2005/6. Though that will depend upon a lot of factors. Till then I'll thoroughly enjoy my 540i 6-speed!
    I am considering doing the ED thing on a 530i. I haven't called around yet, however, I have been given to understand that Joern Esser at Passport BMW in Maryland (301-423-2700) will happily offer anybody a $1,400 over ED Invoice deal.

Given that I am wanting a 530i, PP, SP, Xenon and Premium Sound, that would work out to $42,138.08 including Destination, NJ Sales Tax and Luxury Tax. I figure that I will have to make a decision sometime in January, so the initial call will have to be very soon.

Good talking to you again and good luck shopping. I will keep y'all posted as to my progress.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Could you explain how the ED program works? Is the ED invoice price different. As you can tell, I haven't shopped for a car in a while. Are you looking to lease again. Any idea what current residual % and mf are?
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I too am looking for ED. I plan on ordering the car with similar options as you indicate. But I cannot figure out how you arrived at your pricing. Here is my ED calculation: Base ($33,020), destination ($645), SP ($1,955), PP (2,805), Xenon ($425), Premium HI-FI ($1,020). Total is $39,870. Now add $1,400 dealer profit (using your figure) and then luxury tax ($125) and sales tax (8%) and the total becomes $44,706.60. Why am I coming out over $2,500 higher than you?

In regards to leasing, does any one know what the money factors and residual %'s are for a 530i and a 330i?
  • spglistspglist Member Posts: 3
    Can any help me with best dealer for pricing and service in Chicago area? I'm in western suburbs, but don't know any long term owners for reference point. I'm looking for 525/530i with auto, premium pckg, cold weather package and xenon. Thanks.
    Jim,

Basically, you can arrange through any BMW dealer for an ED on a new car. BMW offers a very nice discount when you purchase (or lease) a car in this method, hence the interest expressed by many folks. If you decide to go that route, you can specify when you want your car ready for delivery in Munich (assuming that you give them enough lead time AND that there are still reservations at the factory available for that time slot). When everything is set, you fly to Munich, arrive at the delivery center at the pre-determined time, get a full detailed delivery of your car (I think there is a factory tour available as well), and off you go. BMW picks up the tab for up to one month of European car insurance, German license plates and registration for a month, the shipping back to the USA and delivery to your dealership. Once at your dealership, your car is detailed again, and delivered to you again. Sounds like fun.

If you want a better write-up than this, look over at the 3-Series thread in the Sedan area, there was a contributor that posted a blow-by-blow description of his ED experience with is new 330i, back in April or May or so. The BMWUSA website also has a fair amount of info on the ED program.

And yes, I am looking to lease again (see message to Pen101), however, I have not yet checked out the MF for the 5-Series.

Pen101,

Hmmmm, let’s see, I suspect that the difference in our calculations is that I intend to lease my car (I am part owner in a few small businesses and we lease all of our cars for tax reasons). Having said that, here in NJ, we pay sales tax only on the depreciated portion of the car, that means that if I lease a car that has a negotiated price of $40,000 and a residual value of 29,000, I will only have to pay sales tax on $11,000 (at 6% that works out to only $660.00) and not the full price of the car (once again, at 6% that would be $2,400.00). So, to run the numbers, we agree on the ED invoice of the car as I would have it optioned ($39,870), to that I add $1,400 for dealer profit, $98.10 for Luxury Tax (I calculated it for 2002), $769.98 for NJ sales tax (I am using a conservative estimate of 60% for the residual percentage, which works out to $28,437), and presto, we have the total price of $42,138.08 out the door (not including any licensing fees).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Don't put any ideas in my head, my wife may really shorten my wife if she finds out I even attempted to imagine. Seriously, I agree with you. It would be for life, and with a permanent silly grin on my face.
    This morning I got a good look at the DRLs on a new 530i at the daycare for my children. Given that said daycare is located between BMWNA and MBUSA (where I used to work), there are a number of “Car Brats” (not to be confused with “Army Brats”) who go to school with my kids.

Anyway, I digress, said 530i appeared to have Xenon head lights with the DRL feature activated. Unlike virtually every other car on the road with DRLs, the 5-Series lights up all four front lamp locations, this is accomplished via a low powered “Light Ring” located around the reflector of the main lamp (low or high beam), giving the effect of four little Solar Eclipses, or better yet, four little halos. Also unlike virtually every other DRL equipped vehicle, these are not annoying like standard High-beam DRLs that glare in your eyes regardless of whether you are coming at them head on, or if they are following you and glaring at you via the mirrors.

My impression is that the E39 has finally come into its own in the last two model years, it seems a shame that this is the last year for this model given how nicely it has matured. I guess I wouldn’t mourn the passing of the E39 so much were it not for the quirky look that the new 5-Series seems to have. That new look is one that I do not think I could be happy with, regardless of how technically superior the package might turn out to be over the E39. It looks like it is time for me to ante up and shut up, and go get a new 2002 530i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    According to the dealer I just spoke with current lease rates from BMW Finance for 36 months are as follows:
    mf= 00190 (about 4.56%)
    Residual = 63% for 10K
    62% for 12K
    60% for 15K
    What should I expect to pay over invoice (or under MSRP) to be able to feel like I got a good deal? Also, what is everyone's feelings on the sports package? Is it worth the extra 2K? Is it a must have?
    Are we bad for wanting to own or owning a BMW? Almost every day over the past 2 weeks since I got my 540i 6-speed someone at work asks me "Is it true, did you get a BMW?" And others say things like "We don't drive a BMW." Or "You must think you're special, driving a BMW." Or "You must be rich to drive a BMW." Now people tell me I must be a snob. It doesn't seem to matter when I tell them it is a 1998 used BMW. Am I a snob? Are we? Just for owning & driving a BMW?

Does this happen to others? I live in a smallish town, population about 6,000. There are close to a dozen BMWs in town. The attorney on main drag has his new 330Ci. Retired friend of mine has his 1992 7 Series. Kid in his twenties has a beaten up 1980s 3 Series.

Should I write Dear Abby?
  • chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I just went through the same process in deciding whether the Sport Pkg was worth the extra cost ($2200). I was able to test drive an 02 540ia w/ the sport pkg and an 01 530i w/ the standard suspension. Honestly, I really liked the extra degree of handling with the sport pkg. Plus it also enhances the appearance (of the car). For me it would be worth the extra cost. However this can be very subjective, depending on how you drive the car.

Now after everything that I said, I ordered my 02 530ia w/o the Sport pkg. Largely because I drive 20k miles/year. The tires with the sport pkg will only last 20-24k miles. Translated, I would be spending $1000/yr in tires. Not a good option for me. So I ordered my 530i with the Steptronic, Premium, Cold Pkg, Heated Wheel, DSP Sound & XENON's with the Sterling Gray (exterior) and black (interior).

Good days are ahead. I just received notice that my car has been scheduled for production.

Chris
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I get it too. People with 30K+ pick-em-up trucks think i'm a snob for driving a bmw for which i paid in the mid 26's.

Remember, they are the image conscious ones.

dave
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Yikes!!! Sounds like the people in your town need to get a life! We are actually very intelligent for wanting a vehicle with great safety standards, outstanding engineering, and incredible looks! Skip Dear Abby and just blow past them in your '98 BMW! Jealousy is an ugly thing! :)
    chrism123, how much do the tires that come with the sports package cost? I don't drive as much as you (10K per year) so I would only have to change them once. Also, the salesperson at the dealership I just talked to said that I would probably have to get snow tires if I got the sports package since the tires would not be able to handle the snow that well. Is this true?
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I can't believe that I'm not seeing more postings regarding the loud Aux. fans BMW has been installing due to the recall on the originals. Bimmer.Org is littered with complaints from 5 series owners about the noisy replacement fans.
    I had been considering a 530i sport package and, based upon my research and the advice of my long term "tire guy", I was estimating that the sport tires would be good for about 30k miles in mostly highway driving (DC area). Also, the price of most replacements seemed to be in the $175/ tire range (Pirelli P-Zero or comparable). While this isn't inexpensive, $700 to $800 every 30k miles for tires seemed reasonable for the performance difference that the sport suspension provides.

What was the basis of your $1,000 per set every 20-24k miles conclusion. Perhaps my tire guy just wants to get that new addition on his house.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Here's an interesting article from Fortune titled

"The controversial new 7 Series

Do You Think This Car Is Ugly?

If so, you aren't alone. It could mean bumps ahead for BMW, just as it's stepping on the gas."

I posted this on the 7-Series board but thought people here might also be interested.

Here's the link:

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=205377

Jim,

The price above invoice or below MSRP seems to vary by region and dealer, in my case, I suspect I will give my current dealer a single chance to get close to the $1,400 over ED invoice offered by Passport BMW, and if they do not, it will be “Hello, Joern...”

As for the SP, as you might remember, I leased a 328i in 1999 at about the same time as you did, and that my 328i does NOT have the SP option. Just last week, I swapped my car for two days, with another Town Hall member to check out the SP. Said TH member (Brave1heart) has a 2001 325i SP, and I was REALLY surprised at how much more agile the car felt compared to mine. I am sold; I will be getting the SP on my next car. If you want the blow-by-blow, you can check out the BMW 3-Series thread for our posts about the swap, said posts started last Thursday and continued until Sunday.

Chris,

It is my intent burn through the 235/45R-17 OEM rubber and then replace them with the same size Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (which have a 400 AA A rating). For my type of driving, the Pilot Sport A/Ss will be WAY more than adequate year round except during a heavy snowstorm, during which I will wither be at home in front of a fire or driving our mini-van. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pete102pete102 Member Posts: 1
    After running the engine past 4500 rpm, the engine ran rough and the check engine light on my '98 540 came on. The service shop replaced both O-2 sensors (pricey little buggers). The light came back on after running the engine to redline - the engine again ran rough for a while but again settled down. The service shop now wants to replace the cooling thermostat even though the temp gauge is centered. The problem feels more like a fouled plug - any similar experiences?

thx.
    Isn't the base ED invoice 2K less than US invoice? If thats the case, won't your current dealer have to come in below invoice to beat 1,400 over ED invoice? Let me know how you do?
    I plan on doing ED either way, when I said that I would give my local dealer a chance to come near the $1,400 over ED invoice deal, I meant that I would ask Prestige if they would lease me a 530i via the ED program for $1,500 over ED invoice, or there abouts.

All I can do is ask, they might even say yes, "One never knows, do one?", (Fats Waller).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I believe the ED invoice on a 530i is about $2,900 less than the US invoice. Which means that $1,400 to $1,500 over ED invoice is about that much BELOW US invoice.
    riez, the rap in my area is that BMW owners are yuppies (I don't recall the new word) looking to display their good fortune in last year's market, or that drivers are 'arrogant.' Unfortunately, except for this board, my experience both with the local dealer and with drivers supports that point of view. The drivers who frequent the same golf course are, I guess, overly enthusiastic and spend as much time talking about their "Bimmers" as my mother does showing off pictures of her grandkids. And on the road (I'm going to say a sexist thing here, apologies), platinum blond debs and shoppers of high-priced clothiers seem loathe to drop their nose and turn their head before turning in front of people, as in "You wouldn't dare...." Finally, the local dealer has a reputation of 'profiling' shoppers and certainly doesn't have salesmen I'd like to be friends with.

And yeah, I've always steered clear of BMW for the image problem, but then a friend of mine who I respect for lots of auto-related reasons, bought one. And then I drove one. And so the heck with anybody who doesn't like me when I finally can get it. Small minds are always a problem; the real issue here is a lack of experience -- if someone drives it (any model of sedan or topless from 2 to 5 seats) they'll love it, at least if they're not absolutely committed to the ride in their Town Car.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    How's this for an idea? Maybe I should start a local support group of current & former BMW owners and wannabees in my area. Kind of like one of those 12 Step Groups. I'd stand up and say something like, "Hi, my name is Curtiss. I've got a problem. One I can't solve by myself. I own a BMW. And I love to drive her. I think about her all the time. My family thinks I'm different. All my friends think I've changed. I need help!" Then we'd all share stories about how our lives have changed due to our BMWs. People treating us badly because of our cars. How much we love our cars. In my case, I'm fortunate that my wife would also have to attend. She loves here 323iA and all her friends are commenting about it, too. Just a thought.
    that we'd then have to renounce our obsession, compulsion, passion, etc., and give it up?

I think attendance is going to be pretty small, as all the needy victims of this demon vehicle will be out driving: )

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Can any of you give me an Idea on the Quality of build and reliability of the BMW compared to a Japanese Luxury brand such as Lexus or Acura. I have never owned a BMW and could be looking to purchase a 530 or 540. Just a little nervous would like some reassurance that the B is at least as good if not better. It was certainly more fun to drive.
    By the way if this question is blasphemy, forgive me since I'm a new guy.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Does anyone know if BMW will becoming out with a 530xi or any AWD 5-series sedan or wagon? I currently have a 00 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd and would be interested in upgrading to a more powerful AWD vehicle. The 330xi looks too small for my needs even though I haven't even sat in one.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    sanandton : bmw reliability is good, but now japanese good. Still, you have an excellent chance of having no problems or a similar level as a japanese car.

bg18947 : the next gen 5-series will have AWD, but it'll be a little while until it's out. If you're in a hurry, go look at the a6 2.7T. It doesn't handle like the bimmer, but it has awd, lots of power, and a nice interior.

dave
  • kjanakjana Member Posts: 16
    For those of you who have recently purchased a 2002 530, have you experienced any of the previously reported problems with fan noise and musty odor? I hope those problems have been fixed for 2002. Also, is anyone in the Great Lakes region driving their BMW without snow tires in the winter? We typically get about 125 inches of snow where I live and I am trying to convince myself that a rear wheel drive car without snow tires will be ok in the winter(I hate the hassle of driving on snows and changing them over twice a year). TIA.
  • chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I believe you could get 30k miles with the lower profile tires. However, in my opinion, it would really depend on the driver and how aggressively he/she does drive. Certainly if most of the driving is either highway and/or non-aggressive driving you could maximize wear.

I had estimated the cost based on total tire cost (for four tires) plus mounting & balancing. I figured $1k would be a good estimate. I believe your price of $175/tire does not include m&b.

Trust me I would recommend the Sport pkg to anyone looking to buy a 5-series. But for me I'm just trying to keep my cost of ownership down. I drive a lot for work (in the states of New Hampshire, Vermont & Western MA). I might regret not getting this option but there is always another day.

Chris
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    I have not tried them all, but this is where I am so far: Bill Jacobs offered $1500 off MSRP right off the bet. Knauz and Fields were much mores stubborn, and won't go below $1200 if the car is in stock. However, Patrick BMW blew me away. The most low-pressure environment I found so far. The guy listened to me over the phone, and then offered to search what's coming in the country to see if anything matches what I want(I want the same thing as you, except 5spd). He's very willing to go out of his way to help me buy a car and not wait two months for a custom order. Of course, it might be two months before I sell my current car...:( Anyway, another friend of mine has M3, and he told me that Patrick has best service, too(like they can accomodate you the same day you call, usually). I stopped by to see Joel(that's the salesman) on Saturday, we had a nice chat, and basically agreed that he'll discount at least $1500 on the car I want and he'll find it for me from the incoming herd when I sell my car. So for a great buying experience, I highly recommend seeing Joel at Patrick. If Bill Jacobs is closer to you, you might want to give them a try and talk to Andrew Zolper. Good luck, and let me know where you'll end up.
    I posted this a while back but I'm not sure if anyone replied. The salesperson at the dealership I just talked to said that I would probably have to get snow tires if I got the sports package since the tires would not be able to handle the snow that well. Does anyone know if this is true?
    jim52... Check out the info on the tires. See if they are all-season or not. Many dedicated Sport Pkgs for European or Japanese cars come with non-all-season ("summer") tires. These should not be used on snow or ice.

All cars, but especially RWD cars, benefit from use of dedicated winter tires (e.g., Blizzaks).

If your car's tires are NOT all season (e.g., are "summer only" high performance tires) AND you plan on driving in the winter AND it snows or gets icy where you live, then you really should get a good set of winter-oriented tires. All-seasons for sure, but probably more realistically dedicated winter tires. If you don't want to go that route, garage the car till Spring!
    Basically, true. The tires that BMW uses on SP equipped cars are made for summer/warm driving conditions. If you peruse the various tire manufacturer web sites, you will come upon numerous references to "Silica" being used in All-Season and Winter tires to replace the "Ash" used in the summer tires. Apparently, rubber compounds that have a high ash content are great for summer grip, however, they turn hard as rocks when cold. On the other hand, All-Season and Winter tires using silica in the compound have better adhesion AND are more flexible when the weather turns cold. According to what I read (I think on the Michelin site) tread design and rubber compound are the two most significant factors that determine how well a tire grips in the snow.

In short, a proper Winter tire (or All-Season for that matter) will have a more open tread pattern (for better bite in snow) and a high silica content in the rubber which keeps the rubber flexible when cold and results in a greater contact patch than a similar sized summer tire.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    One LS beating one 540i is not a whole lot to crow about for said President of the LLSOC. If you follow autocross at all, you will hear the occasional story of some poor sucker driving an M3 or Porsche (more money than driving ability) getting stomped by some dude in a buffed out Neon (more driving ability than money?).

Let them crow, we know which is the better-designed machine. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ya gotta wonder who was driving the 540. . .and as reiz pointed out, what year it was, etc.

However, autocross results are interesting, and given enough real data, could be significant. Many people have the opinion that many (if not most) BMW drivers are in it for the image, not because it's the "ultimate driving machine." Present company (for the most part) excepted, but to reiz's point last week, the "yuppie scum" image that the BMW acquired in the '80's is still alive and well. If autocrosses included more BMW's (and LS's, 300M's, 2.7T's, etc.), it would help cement the concept that the BMW (as well as the others) was truly a competitive performer in the hands of typical owners (or renters), rather than a great car wasted on the people who use it. Talk is cheap, and straight-line acceleration or boulevard ride is not what most of us (on this board) acquired our cars for.

Disclosure: I own a Lincoln LS w/ a manual, and am confident that 99.5% of LS owners/renters would be put to shame on an autocross course, regardless of the competition. However, the potential is there, and that's what sells high-performance sedans.

The point is, the enthusiasts who enjoy their luxury (or wanna-be luxury, in my case) sports sedans should get out there and "show them what you're working with." It's good fun and tends to put real data behind the blather that we're so often blessed with on these boards. I gave up on the 300M guys months ago.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I posted a similar post on the 3-Series board, but there may be different readers here, so I ask for your feed back also.

I plan to lease a 530i (or 330i - not sure yet which one) in January. However, I have tentative plans to be in Germany about May 30, 2002.

If I go for ED, I save $2,760 (plus tax) per BMW web site. However, for delivery on May 30, 2002 (I will use car 8 days), I must place the order by 4/4, purchase (or lease) car by 4/30, and then wait until 8/2 until the car arives home at my local dealer.

Assuming the lease cost is around $750/month (options on car are PP, SP, Zenons, premium sound, fold down rear seats, plus tax, license, docs, etc.), I would be paying $2,250 in lease payments without the use of the car. Plus the car has depreciated 3 months and I finally get possession of the car near the end of the model year (and model cycle).

My question is whether the real cost savings is worth the added wait. All told, I would have to wait for the car an extra two months for a small cost savings. Is my analogy correct? Please advise. Thank you.
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    I forgot to include that on the week before at the San Diego autocross there was another 540 that happened to lose to said LS also. FYI, the year of the 540s at both the San Diego event and the Cal. Speedway event were 2000s. And the LS is substantially stock. Drivers in both instances were people who had decent amounts of autocrossing experience.
    In today's mail I received my BMW Car Club of America membership card and package. Looks quite professional. Can't wait to start receiving their magazine, Roundel. How many of you are members? Have you had good luck with the club and the local chapters?

I'd love to see what my completely stock 1998 540i 6-speed (or any other completely stock 1997-2002 540i 6-speed) could do in comparison to any completely stock 2000-2001-2002 LS Sport on pretty much any course. Guess I'm not sure what it means to be "substantially stock". Is that like being "a little bit pregnant"?
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    I don't remember coming on this board to trade insults or pick a fight. I was simply stating facts from my personal experience. Maybe you should look in the mirror to find out why people think you're a snob.
  • scoutlabscoutlab Member Posts: 12
    Your assertion that you didn't come "on this board to trade insults or pick a fight" is belied both by your postings and your chosen moniker. Moreover, I would suggest to you that inference by anecdote is, at best, an imperfect research methodology.