Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    habitat1... BMW has long been a leader in hydrogen-fuelled cars going back into 1980s and maybe earlier. But thinking they have now moved onto fuel cell technology. Hydrogren bulky to store and refrigerate, as well as create retail "hydrogen" stations. BMW also a world leader in "green" manufacturing and car recycling.
  • hnnhnn Member Posts: 34
    jvalny, ask your dealer to see if they can order the mechanism for installing the Fan system similar to the 2002 530i model. My 2002 530i has the fan mounted directly to engine block and driven by a belt (same Fan system as my prev. 2001 540i). Not sure if they can do it. If they can, may be you will loose some hps due to direct fan connection to the engine?? Like I stated in my prev. post. May be 2002 530i got tweak to provide same 225hp with new fan system.
    Hnn
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..the new 5 look just doesn't do it for me. Looks like a cross between an 1990 5-series and 1990 7-series. Very bulky looking.

I often wondered how BMW could improve the exterior styling of the current 5. If this is it, they didn't. Albeit I am a loyal BMW fan, I find the new E-class to be much better looking. Mercedes is going in the right direction, BMW is regressing, IMO. Heck, I'd much rather have a current 540i with RB steering than the new one with rack and pinion (beat you to it, riez!).

The Z5 looks pretty good though.
  • david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    RE: Fuel Economy
    It's been my understanding that you actually get better fuel economy by accelerating quickly and maintaining higher cruise speed. (according to Car & Driver) I've also been told by a dealer that shifting to a higher gear early and applying more gas to get the car up to speed uses more fuel than getting up to speed using lower gears.

RE: RB vs RP
    My understanding on this is that RB is better suited for heavier cars or trucks. The "kick back" from a inherantly more sensitive (and more linear) system like RP can be harsh on a truck/SUV or similarly heavy vehicle. I also assumed that RP can't handle too much weight. Having said that, new car-based SUVs are now being equipped with RP (probably fortified). Of course, these new vehicles are built with no offroading or heavy payload in mind.

RE: IRS
    I owned the '90 Max with IRS. And driven a newer rental Max with the "patented" beam rear axle. Without question, the beam was a practical compromise. Nissan did a fine job of making the non-IRS work as good as it does but it can't replace a "finely tuned" IRS as found in BMWs. The non-IRS rears its ugly head on high-speed corners with uneven surfaces. But having said that, non-IRS alone won't stop me from buying the Max.
  • g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Habitat1 I agree with your comments on latest MB vs BMW with regards to electrical problems I've been hearing the same thing with regards to the new MB models. I'm not doubting Bobsky is having a hell of an issue with electrical problems but its a huge leap to saying somehow the BMW 5 series in general has major problems with electricals. The same buyer beware sign hangs off these Internet boards. We could do an informal survey here to see how many folks have had problems with the electrics and what the problem turned out to be. As the cars become more "electric" and complex I would expect the proportion of problems caused by electrical components as compared to other mechanical parts of the car will go up. Just my 2 cents.
    david1812,
    BMW has always rated MPG higher on stick shift than automatic. Can you use the same shifting method as described in your post to acchieve similar MPG rating as stick shift using steptronic transmission.
    If not why? Thanks.

Bobsky, I am surprised to hear the electrical problems with the 5 series. I drove the 2001 540i for almost a year (before I traded it three weeks ago due to a bad accident) and I had NO problem at all. My friend had an older 540i (1999) and still did not have any problem with electrical... My two weeks old 2002 530i had no problem so far.

Hnn
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    How many miles per year for the lease? Are automatic and premium package the only options? Also, how much over invoice is the cap cost?
    It looks like Edmunds finally updated the invoice prices to reflect the increase. Seems like a very slim margin between invoice and list on options - only about a 8 or 9% markup over invoice. Automatic is only 5%. Is BMW providing any additional incentives to dealers or are their profits really being squeezed? Is less than 2K over invoice still realistic?
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Beware, leases are very tricky. Best place to ask lease questions is on the Edmunds board specifically dealing with leases. It is an excellent source of information. I learned so much just following the Q's and A's on the board. It is impossible to know if you are getting a good deal without more information. There are many variables in a lease to consider, including: money factor, residual, security deposits, cap cost, mileage allowance, total months, invoice price and MSRP. Also, the dealer knows ways to structure a lease so that they will make money on you without you even knowing it. The bottom line payment may be the same, but they may be making money on you. For example, I caught my dealer doing it, and by doing nothing more than changing the structure of the lease (lowering MF's, applying security deposits and lowering cap costs) I saved almost $3,000 in the lease process.
  • david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    hnn, I think you might come close but not the same results. No matter what, auto trans is not a direct mechanical link. You lose some power/efficiency in the translation.
  • stooxiestooxie Member Posts: 4
    I'm replying to an old message, but I thought I'd end the debate on this one.

I actually emailed Motorola about using a standard StarTAC with the BMW phone kit. They said the BMW phone has special programming that allows it to support all the features of the car.

Thus, there is no way to get a standard StarTAC to work.
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    correction - there is a way. If your P8767 or old StarTAC is unlocked, and you get your hands on the actual BMW-specific software and equipment necessary to program it - then yeah, you can. But that's highly unlikely, unless you work for Motorola's cell phone division. :( It's all in the software, that's the saddest thing.
  • studboystudboy Member Posts: 12
    Hello,
    I plan on reading this whole 5-Series thread. I am thinking of getting a 5-Series (or 3-Series) in a year or so (When the wifes Toyota van is paid - I can afford another car now but want to wait and get something NICE!). I will probably buy used and spend around 30K. I am going to do extensive research by Web and driving to dealers (new and 'superstores of import' type of thing) and checking personal ads. I know a lot about them as far as model years, motors, options, specs and the like. Just have never driven one, but I will before long. What can anyone tell me of who to definitely check out and who to definitely stay away from?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    a lot of. . .(deleted it to avoid "issues" with Pat or others on the board) to use "studboy" as a handle when you're waiting for your wife to sell a Toyota van in order to finance the BMW.

Perception is often reality.

It's a great car. A lot of poseurs drive it. . .for all the wrong reasons.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Your comment(#2064) made my day! Thanks for the laugh! :)
    Your reply is funny. I'm not waiting to sell the van, just prefer to have only one payment. When the van is done I will buy a nice ride for myself. I just happen to budget my money. We are buying a bigger house currently and we are buying a camper this summer. I am far from arrogant. The name is just something I made up. So are you from Canada? Another reason I am not buying the car for awhile is I may also be buying two new snowmobiles, but with the crappy winters lately (even your way) it is not wise. Grew up in North Dakota, so don't come back with how tough your winters are. So, I'm a poser? What kind of person drives a BMW, and what do you have? Maybe your right. If you supply me with the demographics of a proper BMW owner then maybe I should stray from them. Not much more than buying more Toyotas.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Just jerking your chain a bit. All in good fun.

Used to live in Alberta & B.C., but am now a desert rat in AZ. Really prefer the cold weather & pleasant weather when the days are long rather than short, but my job's here, so so am I.

Enjoy the car, as I'm sure you will. My issue with BMW was created back in the 80's when it seemed more people bought them to be seen in them than bought them to really drive, though the same could be said of most luxury brands. Trouble is, owning a BMW and not excercising it is truly a waste, in my (never) humble opinion. You kind of expect that mindset from the Lexus & Mercedes crowd. Somehow BMW became a necessary accessory of the 80's yuppies, so that's my perception problem, which may or may not reflect reality.

I drive a Lincoln LS with a manual.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I can definitely understand your reasoning. I'm 34, married with a three year old (another on the way) and live in Maryland because of good jobs. One reason I may not buy a BMW is because I don't want people who do or do not know me to judge me by what I drive. But then again, I could spend 30K+ on a sport 'ute and people would not think of me as stuck up. I drive 76 miles round trip daily and really don't need 4 wheel drive in MD (growing up in N. Dakota is my basis for this). Also, I will be spending most of my weekend time with the 'fam in the van or whatever replaces that. The wife picks up the kids as her job (2nd grade teacher) is just down the road and daycare is just blocks from there. I will be in the car mostly by myself with some running to hockey practice and the like. Do miss decent snow. My wifes has in-laws in NH and Maine. Go up three or four times a year. Will be up Presidents Day weekend for a snowmobile trip. Went 'sledding' New Years week as well.
  • taylorttaylort Member Posts: 31
    Studboy -
    Some of my friends have purchased BMWs at Select Auto and Advantage Auto in VA.

You can see samples on their inventory at the following web sites.
    www.selectautoimports.net/

www.preownedbmws.com

I have a 530 that I purchased new from Passport BMW and I got a pretty good deal. They have a good selection of used BMWs as well.

Happy hunting
  • copyguycopyguy Member Posts: 4
    I leased a 97 528i for three years and now am in last year of a Volvo S80 t6. In my opinion no sedan I've driven handled as well as the 528. Felt like you could do a 90 degree turn at 80 mph. I also like the "cockpit" feel. S80 is faster, a little roomier but spends way too much time at the dealership....biggest problem I had w/the 528 was a rear speaker problem...My next car will be another 5 series unless I find out something to change my mind....Good luck
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I would wait for later in the year when the new generation 5 series is close and they start a fire sale on the current model like they did with the 7 series. BTW the new 5 looks like a cross between a bulked up 3 series and the back of the 7 series. It may take some getting used too.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Not true and probably not true, respectively.

First, the new E60 model will most likely debut in the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 2003, and arrive in the US in early 2004 (that is, 2 years from now). Hence, I wouldn't expect great deals on the current style until the end of 2003.

As for its appearance, all "photos" I've seen have all been heavily photochopped or purely speculative. It's too early to tell what it'll look like.
  • jhox85jhox85 Member Posts: 35
    Does any one knows how the SID gets set back to green light? Does the BMW service dept. sets it back to green? What happens if the service is done by another authorized service dept other than the dealer? Maybe Shipo or Brave can help out.

Thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My car has an actual mileage count down display that indicates the number of miles until the next service. On cars equipped with the red and green light display, it is my understanding that BMW sells an electronic tool that when plugged into the car, resets the light display. It seems to me that I have seen said tool advertised for years in the back of AutoWeek.

Hope this helped.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chesdin4chesdin4 Member Posts: 22
    I think there's a little electronic device the technician uses. I've seen them advertised in the back of Car & Driver for many years, now. They cost about $50. Haven't bought or tried one, though.

I had an Audi years ago where you just pushed a button under the dash to reset the EGR service light. (Guess BMW figured that was too easy!)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Prior to 2002 a reset tool was needed. They are reasonably cheap($49.95 for the Peake Research R5) and easily purchased. I bought the Peake R5-FCX scan/reset tool so that I can also diagnose any "Check Engine" light incidents. A good deal at $149.00 + shipping. Any shop purporting to service BMWs that doesn't have access to a reset tool should be avoided like the plague. OTOH, the 2002s are now reset through the instrument cluster.
    copyguy,
    What kind of rear speaker issue that you had? My 2002 530i speaker on the driver side vibrated and made some strange noises occasonally (like it is torn!!??). I will bring it back to the dealer for check out soon. Hnn
  • rgwlrgwl Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 530i . It has under 1000 miles. I notice a slight rumbling (exhaust ?) when I start the car. It goes away right away. Does that seem normal ?
    March 2002 issue of Motor Trend has a small article on the phase out of the federal luxury tax. It ends 1/1/03. 2002 is the last year for it. Tax has now fallen to 3 percent of amount over $40,000. Or $30 for ever $1,000 over $40,000. Not bad. Only $300 for a $50,000 loaded 530i or $600 for a loaded $60,000 540i 6-speed.
    ..only $45 for a fully loaded $41,500 530i or $330 for a loaded $51,000 540i 6-speed if you know how to play the European Delivery game to its best. For anybody paying the prices above, taxes probably don't matter, anyway.
    Don't know enough about the European Deliver system or its prices to know if an American can buy a "fully loaded" $50,000 and up MSRP 530iA for a mere $41,500. Guess it is great if you can get it. Me, I'm suspicious. I'd want to see all the paperwork proving the $41,500 as delivered price. (How much does the vacation cost? But if you can get one for $41,500, they just paid for your vacation!)
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    According to manual for 530 with SP,front tires should be 33 psi and 41 psi in the back. I have Contisport, are these the right pressures?
    530bmw... Always refer to the door jam sticker. It is current and accurate for your specific car on that specific date. The manual is much more generic and won't reflect any changes after it is published.
    ..figure that a 530i can be had for about $1,500 under US invoice and a 540i for about $2,000 under US invoice. These both equate to roughly $1,400 to $1,500 over the European Delivery invoice.

I elected to get a different car in November. But I had priced out a 530i 5-speed, SP, PP, Xenon and Premium Sound for right at $41,600 (including destination, but not taxes and tags). MSRP was about $47,300 and US invoice was about $43,100. The trip was additional too, but I have lots of frequent flier miles. I think prices may have gone up slightly since I dropped the deal in November.

The trick is finding a dealer that will discount the ED price. Not easy in the DC area, until I showed them evidence of several PA and NJ dealers that would.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    riez.. thanks for the info. The dealer I bought my car from pumped 41 psi into both front and back. I guess I have to deflate to 33 psi for front tires based on the door jamb sticker.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    That doesn't sound like a deliberate choice by the dealer, but sloppiness. The tires come with 40-45 psi for most imported cars (don't know about US) to keep the tires from spotting (flat spot from parking for prolonged time), and the techs are supposed to let air out to get them to the correct pressure before delivery.

In all cases, check the door post.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    This may be a dumb question but what the heck. I'm planning to Lease a 530 with SP. I live near Philly and occasionally get snow so I was also planning to buy a set of new wheels and snow tires. Since I'd be leasing the car and owning the new wheels, my question is: will I likely be able to used the wheels on my next car (assuming its a BMW)? That would help me justify the combined added cost for the SP and wheels given the fact that I'd likely only use them 2 months out of the year.
    Also, can someone give me an opinion on steel wheels? Can you get wheel covers that look like the allow wheels or would the car not look as good?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    It was only a few years ago that the simplest 3-series stopped coming with wheel covers as standard. You could check dealer's parts department. They might be too small for a 5 though.
    In Europe,many fives are still sold with wheel covers. It should be easy to order some over the internet. They'll be twice the price of generic Pep Boys,but your Bimmer will have a unique,"insiders"look. It will be obvious to those who know and care that you've gone to the trouble to mount snows. So they can't look like alloys,but they will look pretty cool,IMO.
    Head over to TireRack.com; they have a great selection of tires and wheels, and their database will automatically show you what will fit your car. If I were you, I'd get 16" steel wheels (shouldn't be more than $100 each), and quality winter/ice tires...the package can be had for $800-1200, depending on the wheels and tires. I recommend the 16's because they're both cheaper and better for snow (since they're a bit narrower), and because they offer better protection for the wheels against those bad potholes.

As for futureproofing, it's hard to say. If you'll buy a new 5 series, there's a good chance it'll fit, but no guarantee. Aside from the bolt pattern (which I think is the same in all BMW's), you have to consider wheel/tire width (which does vary), diameter (varies as well), and the offset (also varies).

I understand your concern, but if you wear out the tires, you're really only risking the cost of the wheels, which, for $400 or so, is relatively cheap insurance for safer, more competent winter handling, even if it is only for the next 3 or 4 winters.
    Thanks for the info. Couple of questions. Would the steel wheels come with wheel covers that look good on the 530? If not, how much would they run? I was told awile back that I could get allow wheels and snow tires from tirerack for 1,000 to 1,200. Is this true? I want to be safe but not spend too much. I may only have to drive in bad a few times a year (this year I haven't had to so far). I would probably only use them Jan and Feb (maybe march) and put 1,200 to 1,800 miles on them a year - my commute is 12 miles and I have an SUV for weekends.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Based on where you live and the fact you have an SUV, I would spring for a pair of all-season performance tires (ex. Yoko AVS dB) and skip the extra wheels and snow tires. This would get you around in light snow and in heavier stuff just would park the BMW and drive the SUV.
  • ggoudeli1ggoudeli1 Member Posts: 14
    Is anyone else experiencing a slight squeak that seems to be coming from the headrest area (2001 530i)? It appears to be more pronounced when I'm driving on rough road, or even a smooth road but at higher speeds (40mph+). Thanks.
    What would a set of them run? One of the maintence guys at the dealership I got my 328 recommended against changing the tires on the sport wheels each year. He said something about difficulty in getting them to seal properly. Does this sound right? What are the other drawbacks in doing what you suggested?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    BMW sells specific 15" wheel covers for the E39 5er; they run @$27 each with a BMW CCA discount. They look much better than the generic covers.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    I was not suggesting changing tires each season, but moving to an all-season tire year round if you are concerned about winter driving. You do want to avoid tire changes with the sport wheels, especially at run of the mill tire stores who can ruin your wheels.

You will give up some performance capabilities with all-season tires, but in your case I would leave the summer OEM tires on and use the SUV on the infrequent bad weather days. (The Yokohama AVS dB's run about $160 each at Tirerack).
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree. I would rather not give up performance 10 months out of the year so that can drive in snow the 5 or 6 days I will have to during winter. Snow tires on steel rims with BMW wheel covers may be my best bet - as long as I like the way they look. I also don't want hate the way the car looks to save $400-$500 over three years.
    the brakes are too big (only fit on 528's and earlier); 16" are the minimum, and even then not all 16" steel wheels will fit. Again, TireRack will be able to recommend something that'll fit.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Riez, the ED prices are real. I don't know about a fully-loaded 530i for $41,500, but we got a well-equipped '01 (Sport/Premium, Step, Cold Weather, CD, Xenon, destination) for $41,540 - MSRP was $46,920. Only extra charges were TTL, lux tax of $142, and $3 temp tag fee, all of which would happen anyway. This was $2,622 under ED list, and I've read on this board of buyers doing better than that. How you go about making the trip depends on your means and objectives. We were planning on a European trip anyway. My wife made the mistake of asking me to make airline reservations, so the first thing I did was book us into Munich. After some gentle persuasion ("You're crazy - we're not buying a BMW!"), the rest fell into place. I even used car-guy logic to point out how spending $41,000 for a new car would save us $500 on a rental, not to mention the free breakfast at the ED center.

Alternatively, you could book a cheap offseason fare (kind of late for that now with leadtime required for ED), turn the car over for shipping as soon as you pick it up, and fly back a day or two later. It's a waste of a wonderful opportunity (witness ED travelogues here and on 3 series board), but it does allow you to pocket almost all the savings.
  • mod62mod62 Member Posts: 38
    It just test drove a 2002 525 manual SP and PP and was impressed with the torque. Is the 530 that much different? Is SP worth it?

Thanks for any other additional info.