Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    "530iA" isn't an actual model type; it's a 530i automatic. The recall notice doesn't mention sport package or not, which suggests it applies to all models. Call the national BMW number or your dealer to confirm.
    I don't know of anyone who'se gotten the Dinan software (without additional hardware like CAI, exhaust, etc.) because it's probably a waste of money. Dinan themselves admit they can't extract any more power. "Throttle response" is a somewhat subjective measurement, and I'd doubt you'd see ANY noticeable improvement.
  • musafirmusafir Member Posts: 27
    Yes you can, gp with European Delivery and also pay some security deposits, I have ordered a 530iA with Premium, Prem. Sound, lumbar, heated steering, Xenon and cold weather package. My monthly lease is 577 with 15K/year.
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    You would actually do ED for a lease! If you're going to travel all the way to Germany, why not buy it?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Surprising? No, it's just that we have great taste in cars!!! :) Hope my next 5er is an M too!
  • mlbmwmlbmw Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Snagiel.
    I already called nation BMW, even my 530iA manufactured on 11/01, but it is not on the recall list.
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    Think of it as going to CA from the East Coast just to get a better price. Whether buying or leasing is irrelevant, the actual price is lower with ED. Flying to Germany is merely an overnight trip similar to taking the red-eye from CA to NYC.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I called BMW and they told me my car is not on the list. It is good news for me and you too since yours is not affected either. By the way I checked my car's sticker and it shows 12/01 as production date. Thanks for telling me how to check the production date.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    That's a quite good price on a new 525i - about $1,300 over invoice if my quick calculation is correct. I am assuming that the price does include destination and that the car is brand new with under 20 miles, not a dealer demo.

I'm a fan of European Delivery, but the best you could probably do is about $36,400 from a dealer that discounts ED. Whether saving another $1,800 to $2,000 (gross of travel expenses) is worth going through the process is questionable, unless you would want to go to Europe for the fun of it anyway.

My opinion of the 528i vs. 525i is easier. Unless the extra $4,500 is simply too much of a stretch, go for the brand new 525i. In 3 years, you will have a three year old car (that you broke in and took care of) instead of a 5-year old one. In 2005, I am guessing a 2002 525i will be worth at least $4,500 more than a 2000 528i. Also, the 525i with a 5-speed should perform at least as well as a 528i with automatic, if not better. As you can tell, I am biased towards new, but unless the 2 year old version saves you at least 25% (i.e. approximately $9k), I think the "objective" financial analysis says to go new. Why give up the first two years of a new car for only a 12% savings (unless you plan on keeping it for 18 years and hate a new car smell).
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    My guess is that the only way to get under $600 per month, other than ED, is with multiple security deposits. In my case, the extra 5,400 reduced my monthly payments by about $74 per month.
  • rwolprwolp Member Posts: 11
    I am now the proud owner (lessee) of a brand spankin' new 540iM, my first BMW (sterling grey, black interior, prem sound, sunshade, upgraded M wheels). It is truly an amazing car. While I had some cupholder issues this morning (my Lexus had amazing cupholders), the performance cannot be matched. My question to those of you who drive manual trannys: What is optimal shift RPM? I was driving 80 in 6th and the car seemed to want to be in 5th, but I would think that at that speed 6th gear should be optimal. Also, I was getting passed, which normally does not happen when I was driving those speeds in my old car, which makes me think the speedodometer may be off. Any thoughts out there?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Yesterday I was at the local dealers, again.... and on the floor they are trying hard to promote a 2001 white/beige 530i 5spd. (They seem to have a hard time with manuals and so rarely have them available.)

The car has cold weather and premium, but no other options. As I was fondling it, Lois (one of the sales staff) said "I know you're interested in a manual. If you're interested in that car I think we can sell it for invoice or pretty close."

If anyone is interested in pursuiing this one, I can give you the location, etc., for the dealership: jwilson1@net1plus.com

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    ED lease makes sense...Shipo is leasing his ED 530i. Either way you do ED, you come out on top. There are many benefits to leasing ED (Please no Buy vs. Lease discussions). Your payments will still be lower due to the fact that the capitalized cost of the lease is lower (In the case of Shipo's deal, he got what equates to $5200 off US MSRP). The residual value of the car is still the same after 3 years. So maybe at most you burn 1-2 month's lease payment while your car is on the boat. Think of it as saving the mileage on the leased car and so instead of saving $5200, you save $4000 off US MSRP.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I saw a Silver/Black M5 this morning. That's 2 in the last 3 days!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Congrats on your new 540iM! Keep buying the manuals people! We need to make sure the stick shift does not die;)

Congratulations on the new car.

First, the abbreviation for your model is usually "540i6" or "540i6sp", not "540iM". The "M" is reserved for those rarified Motorsports-cars (even though it is inconsistent with the "5xxiA" for automatic versions).

Second, "optimal" shift points is about as vague as "best way to invest money." It depends. When the engine is cold (and you're still in the break-in period), keep it under 4k rpm's. As you pass the 1200 mile mark, you can gradually (it took me about 2 days!) increase engine speeds to accelerate quickly, but that certainly comes at the expense of fuel economy. But with a 540, I'm assuming performance was higher on your priority list than fuel economy. As for sixth gear, it is indeed rather tall (0.83 ratio). BMW added it mainly to help keep fuel economy to respectable highway levels, since the V8 is such a guzzler. It'll keep your RPM's low, but for passing with any sense of urgency you'll need to downshift.

As for the speedometer error, BMW's are notorious (in fact, there's an article in this month's Car and Driver about it). When indicating 70, you're actually going about 67. When showing 80, it's more like 76. You can get a more accurate reading by setting cruise control (to keep the speed steady), and reset your trip computer's "average speed" setting. In a second it'll show you far more accurately your true speed.

But I've found the speedo error helps keep me from going way too fast (which is all too easy in my 530...85 feels like 65 in my last car). It's like setting the alarm clock 10 minutes fast.
    I am now the proud owner (lessee) of a brand spankin' new 540iM, my first BMW (sterling grey, black interior, prem sound, sunshade, upgraded M wheels). It is truly an amazing car. While I had some cupholder issues this morning (my Lexus had amazing cupholders), the performance cannot be matched. My question to those of you who drive manual trannys: What is optimal shift RPM? I was driving 80 in 6th and the car seemed to want to be in 5th, but I would think that at that speed 6th gear should be optimal. Also, I was getting passed, which normally does not happen when I was driving those speeds in my old car, which makes me think the speedodometer may be off. Any thoughts out there?
    ...having browser issues.
    Reports on the bimmer boards indicate that the analog speedo is a 4-6mph off indicating speed above the actual speed. In a sense, this helps in the case of speed traps (guess the speedo error is the right direction!). There is a way to use the OBC to get actual speed, or if you have the GPS (which you may have).
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    Just completed the first fill up for the 2002 530i and was able to pump in 18.77 gallons without topping off. The rated capacity is 18.5 gallons but know from previous experience that my 1985 VW GTi holds over 15.0 gallons despite a 14.5 gallon rating. My question is how much have other owners been able to place in the tank and what kind of real mileage range can I expect under "normal conditions" which to me means keeping up with traffic under break in conditions ?

Thanks.

JH
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    Just completed the first fill up for the 2002 530i and was able to pump in 18.77 gallons without topping off. The rated capacity is 18.5 gallons but know from previous experience that my 1985 VW GTi holds over 15.0 gallons despite a 14.5 gallon rating. My question is how much have other owners been able to place in the tank and what kind of real mileage range can I expect under "normal conditions" which to me means keeping up with traffic under break in conditions ?

Thanks.

JH
    I recently bought a DeLorme GPS for my laptop computer to use as an occassional navagation system. A little inconvenient looking over at the passenger seat, but the Dell 15" Ultra-XGA screen sure beats any in dash system for resolution and detail. It also shows speed and distance traveled.

Over the past few weeks, I have now "checked" the speedometers of our Nissan Maxima (reads 70 mph going 66.7), our Isuzu Trooper (reads 70 going 69.2), our Honda S2000 (reads 70 going 70.0) and a friends 540iA sport (reads 70 going 65.6). Clearly, the BMW was off the most.

Even the odometer seemed slightly off on both the Nissan and BMW. Considering that "extra" miles on a lease are usually charged at 10 to 15 cents, I would be complaining to BMW if the odometer was reading 2-3%+ high. Over 40,000 miles, that's an extra 1,000 miles that you haven't really driven. Do I smell a class action in the works??

For a car company that can get it right with engine tolerances down to 1/1,000th of an inch, you would think that an acurate speedometer and odometer would not be that much of a challenge. Although it is an interesting way to reduce 0-60 times.
    The bimmer boards seem to indicate that the odometer (showing mileage) is run via the OBC and NOT the analog speedo. So even if the analog speedo is off, the mileage should not be affected. That means that if your analog speedo goes kaput, your mileage counter will keep ticking as usual. You won't end up with 0 miles even if you are tearing down the highway at 0mph..:-)
  • ek5ek5 Member Posts: 33
    Hi - Anybody know if you can get a package without something you don't want? We want to get the heated seats, but hate those little black squares(headlight washers)on the front bumper. They look fine on darker cars, but we're planning to get white and they just detract from the look of the front. I seem to remember reading way back that someone special ordered a request like this. I know it's picky, but it's such a blemish to the look of the front end.
    Ek5:

I tried ordering the cold package without the headlight washers. It used to be possible to special order this, but no longer. Even if you able to special ordered this, the difference was about $30, miniscule really. Guess if it really gives you angst once you get the car, you can take if off.
  • ts530ts530 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 530ia for a week and had it on a 3 hour trip which included a lot of interstate driving. At 75 I was getting passed by a few when before 75 kept me with the flow. Tried to do a mile marker test @ 60. The result was 1 mile in 62 seconds. Nothing scientific... I wish it wouldn't be off, but since it's to my adv. it could be a good thing. The car is better than I could have imagined.(except for those #$%@ cupholders!)
    So you can overcompensate for it and it looks to you like you're going really fast!

• jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    '01 525ia (sport/prem pak and single cd in dash) w/ 27k mi for $36.5K vs '01 gs-300 (prem. pak, s/r, cd changer, chrome wheels, heated seats) w/ 21k mi for $35K - looking for objective feedback on both the comparison and ask price (fyi - tend to keep my cars for 75-100k mi)
    thx folks - you have the most informative forum on edmunds
    I didn't think about the odometer issue when I was asking about speedo, but now that I think about it, my odo registered 28.3 miles on my approx. 27 mile trip from work to home last night (my maiden voyage). This could definitely add up on mileage charges, especially for me because I anticipate going over. I am going to try to test out with another car and see the difference. Will let you know.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    rwolp... Glad to know you are enjoying your 540iM. Just make sure to follow the break-in recommendations, no matter how hard that may be at the time. It'll be worth it in the long haul.

I've put over 4,000 miles on my CPO '98 540iM in the 13 weeks I've owned her. An absolute joy to drive. And a relaxed cruiser on highway. You get the best of both worlds. Awesome acceleration & top speed as well as great highway fuel economy. I averaged about 24.5 mpg on my 800 mile roundtrip this week. About 90 percent of time was doing 74 mph on interstate with cruise control on.

Enjoy the relaxed cruising in 6th on interstate. Just downshift to 5th or 4th if you want to accelerate or pass. Of course, you can cruise in 5th if that is your desire. :)
  • chesdin2chesdin2 Member Posts: 19
    That price seems rather high for an '01 w/ 27K miles. Also, that's on the high side of miles for 1 to 1.5 yrs, in any case. Just my $.02, not very scientific!

(Refer up a couple of dozen posts about how ridiculously high used prices sometimes seem vs. new...)
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    While at the dealer last week, I sat in a Mini for the first time. It is a cute little car, and surprisingly roomy in the front. However, the back is a joke and the way the hood is shaped, it is hard to judge where the corner is.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    Thx - you're right about the miles, car was a bmw regional exec car (fr south carolina) driven on the road - Re new vs used, I've set my "limit" at basically $35K and always purchase as lease doesn't work for my situation (can't write off, corp job, etc) - what are best $35K options in your opinion trying to stay in '01 model to have max warranty period (typically drive 10-12k mi/yr and keep a car to 100k+ miles before changing
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If you buy a 2002 525i, with PP via the ED program, you can (with just a little shopping) get a $1,500 over ED invoice deal, which would amount to $34,835 plus airfare (I just got mine for $447 round trip).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the info on cold weather w/o washers. It's too bad you can't order it like that...they should at least be color coded!
  • sec1sec1 Member Posts: 16
    Just curious, I have 6800 miles on my 2001 530I and my oil indicator has come on in. Checked the oil and I need to put some in. Any feedback on what type of oil I should use or all synthetic 5w-30 about the same quality..Is this normal to happen at 6800 miles?? Consider me naive, but wasn't expecting anything until my "annual service needed" light came on. To ease my worries, I should dish out the cash and have the oil changed every 3 or 4 thousand miles...Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Totally love this car!
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    BMW synthetic, which is Castrol should be fine. Since you are adding, I would stick with the BMW oil, but when you change, you can use Mobile 1, Redline, etc. Some dealers will not use other oil, but BMW's Even on a brand new car, you should keep an eye on your oil level. There are those who will follow the BMW's recommendation of following the computer, and then those who will change every 3000~5000 miles. Me?, I have 1000 miles and have not decided.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I've had my 2001 530 in twice for other issues(fan recall and fluid/tire pressure check before a long road trip) and both times the dealership added about a quart of oil. (Total cost of less than $5.) They told me a new car tends to go through oil more rapidly at first. The indicator light never did come on in my case, they just happened to check it as part of their routine. I have one "green" light left at 10K miles before its first service and will have oil changed then.
    Hi - Just to tell you all, we just got back from Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ and here's the deal we got: 530i with PP, CP, Prem. Sound, Steptronic (sorry no stick, guys). Invoice: $42,555 Price: $43,544 plus tax. We got it for $989 over invoice. I think this is a great deal! What do you think?

Thanks to all on this board who were so helpful!
    That's the best deal for a new 530i I've heard of. Was it an ordered car or one in stock?

Any idea if they would do a comparable deal at $1,000 over European Delivery invoice??

Congrats again.
    Hi - It was an ordered car - should get is middle of May. Don't know about ED, maybe Shipo would know - he's the expert in ED. They told us they are the largest BMW dealer on the East Coast, so maybe they have more flexibility. Good Luck!
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Shipo, did you ever get your oil analysis back ?

DL
    As I decided to turn in my 328i at lease end (30-April-2002), I was told by the analysis company that a single test would be irrelavent, so I never sent it in. I will however, perform the test on the new 530i every 7,500 (and change the oil at 15,000), needless to say, I will report the results. Stay tuned.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I initially intended to order my 530i from Prestige, however, the salesman balked when I challenged him on the price he quoted me. Since I am not fond of playing games, I simply went down Route 17 a few miles and got the deal I was looking for from Park Avenue.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I checked the indicated speed of the speedometer against the speed showing on the OBC (using cruise control, reset the speed readout), and got the following reads:

60 MPH (Speedo) = 57.7 (OBC)
    70 MPH (Speedo) = 66.6 (OBC)
    80 MPH (Speedo) = 75.3 (OBC)
    90 MPH (Speedo) = 84.7 (OBC)

Of course this is an unscientific test, because where I thought the speedometer read 80, for example, may have actually read 81 or 79. Difficult to check it for preciseness when driving in traffic and trying to look down at the speedo for more than a second or so. By the way, my car is a 2002MY 530i 5-speed and has the sports package (also PP and zenons).

If the odometer uses the speedometer as its source, then this means that I will have less actual miles available on my lease. It also means that I am not speeding as irresponsibly as I thought! However, just in case, I bought a radar/laser detector. Never can be too careful.

I filled out the J.D. Power "2002 vehicle quality survey" today. Gave the car very high marks. No defects or problems during my first 2500 miles of ownership. I love driving the car. However, a few areas did receive less than outstanding marks: cup holders (surprise!), center arm rest height, and stereo (I have the base unit - the stereo is good, but should have been better for a $40K+ car). But no car is perfect. For the price, however, this car comes closest (that is why I bought this car).
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Latest issue of BMW CCA's magazine, Roundel, has an interesting lengthy article on proper oil to use. Discusses the advantages of synthetic oil (for most cars). Also discusses when to change your oil and the oil filter. At the very least, appears much more frequent change of oil filter is in order compared to BMW's service recommendation. I always look forward to reading Roundel from cover to cover!
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I just got my 330i and it's barely broken in and now I'm drooling about my next car a 5xx? I need to take a chill pill....:)
    Stop drooling. Until you have a baby or two doing the same and need a little more room in the back seat area, the 330i is just as good as the 530i when it comes to driving nirvana.
  • zachsmomzachsmom Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

I am looking at a 525 i with automatic transmission, cold weather package, premium package, xenon lights. How does one find the "true" invoice price and how much over invoice should I be willing to pay for this car. I live in the Washington DC area. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The two sources I use for BMW invoice pricing are Edmunds and www.eurobuyers.com (check under 5-series and look for chart titled "confidential wholesale pricing".

The invoice price is the "true" invoice price. There are dealer holdbacks that lower the cost to the dealer, but most of the price negotiations are based off the "invoice" price, not some lower "actual dealer cost" price. I would have said that $1,500 over invoice would be a good target for a 525i. However, ek2 above (post #2639) managed to get a $1,000 over invoice deal in New Jersey.

Do you have any interest in going the European Delivery ("ED") route? If so, I have referrals by which you could get about $1,500 over the ED invoice, which works out to about $1,200 UNDER US invoice, not including travel expenses. DC area dealers are not anxious to discount ED, but I have a Pennsylvania dealer from my hometown that will treat you right.

Hope this helps. Good luck.