Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    needluxurycar... Hope you have really thought thru what you need. RWD? AWD? FWD? Manual transmission? Room for 4? Will help you look if you really assess what it is that you need in a car.

Do a ton of research to learn what is out there. Look at everything from Edmunds to Consumer Reports to Intellichoice to the automotive press.

Finally, take lots of lengthy test drives. Don't shell out a lot of money unless you get to spend sufficient time behind the wheel driving on the roads you normally do at the speeds you normally do with the loads you normally carry. How will you know if something is comfortable unless you spend some time in it? Or whether it has the right amount of engine or wind noise at interstate speeds unless you spend some time there?

Both the 3 and 5 Series might meet your needs. Lots of choices. 525i, 530i, 540i. Automatic or manual. Sport Package or not. Lots of options to personalize it. Even more choices in 3 Series. Everything from station wagons to convertibles to coupes to super-high performance M3. If you can't find something that meets your needs and price range in 3 or 5 Series, then you might be unique. Good hunting!!!
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    More trivia. While running arrands today, I clocked my fuel consumption at various speeds. Very unscientific, but gave me something mindless to do while driving to destinations. With air conditioning off and outside temperature at about 85, used cruise control to set speeds. Once at speed, reset the computer. Traveled about 5 miles on fairly flat road before checking readout. At 65 mph (61.2 on computer), got 40.2 mpg per computer. At 75 mph (70.6 on computer) got 32.6 mpg. My car is rated at 30 mpg highway. What does this prove? Nothing, except maybe that the EPA highway mileage is somewhat low at the speed limit and that riez's mpg can easily be repeated and even be exceeded.
  • trigger07trigger07 Member Posts: 2
    Strolling back thru previous messages, I see others have the same experience of a loud auxiliary cooling fan after the recall replacement. Mine makes a distinct "whining" sound...almost like a bearing going bad.

Has anyone had any success in getting this corrected, or is it an inherent design flaw in the replacement units. I've had the dealer look at this twice. The first time they said it was a loose belt, and the second time they could not reproduce the noise. This is my only complaint in an otherwise wonderful machine.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm partial to BMWs, but I would suggest that you also check out the Audi line. The Lincoln is a lot of car for the money, mainly because they are usually heavily discounted to move them off the lot. Build quality is a notch below the Germans, and a V6 five speed is nearly impossible to find. The V8 struggles to keep up with a 530i, nevermind a 540i. My choices would be: 1.530i Sport, 2.Audi A6 Quattro, and 3.Lincoln LS V8 Sport
  • boxsterboxster Member Posts: 28
    sometime I felt cosmos black looks nicer, but most of the time it looks more dirty and grayer than the jet black. what do you guys think?
    also, is metallic paint really tougher to be chipped?

Thx
  • taylorttaylort Member Posts: 31
    I have 12,000 miles on my 530 with Sports Package and my tires have gotten very noisy. They are Michelin.

First question - has anyone experience this with Michilens? I always had good experiences with Michilen, V-Rated, on my Acura legend coupe.

And second what brand of tires have you had the best of luck with when it comes to noise level while keeping the performance feel and handle well on wet and dry roads?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I have just under 12K miles on my 530 with sport pkg. and have the Michelin Primacy tires. I am not experiencing any tire noise. Does air tire pressure have anything to do with it?
  • woobahwoobah Member Posts: 21
    Hi, great board, I have been learning a lot, reading the posts on this forum and the 3 Series Forum. I am curious as to why more people are just not waiting for the new 5 Series car to debut. It is sure to have more advanced features, including safety features, will offer more room in the cabin, and have the latest technology.

Furthermore, since BWM has been perfecting the car for a long time, it should not have any new model design flaws, since it really is not a new model, rather it is an improved version. These cars are not cheap, I can't see the logic in buying something now that will be dated in six months. The 2003 style will be the style for the next four to five years. The 7 Series redesign looked great, and is doing well. I am sure the new 5 series will do as well.

Again, I am not slamming anyone with this post. I like the 2002 5 series, I just can't get past the fact that in six months it will be a dated design.
  • danielbgdanielbg Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question as the last post. Does anyone know anything about the 2003 redesign? How different will the care look and what new features will it have?

I am growing out of my 1996 328ic and am interested in moving up to the 530i, but I may push off my decision for 6 months.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I am taking delivery in Munich of my new 530i this week, and one of the deciding factors on getting it now was the new E60. Contrary to early rumor, it is most likely that the new E60 5-Series will not debut until September 2003, at the Frankfurt Auto Show, as a 2004 model, which means that the E60 is at least 18 months away, if not more like 20-22 months.

Given that I typically lease for three years, that means that I am scheduled for a replacement car during the spring of 2005, the second model year of the E60, which, by the way, is a totally new car, not an evolution of the E39. Given the technical sophistication of the E60, I would feel better about not leasing a first year E60, assuming that that is my inclination, which it is not.

I am not even remotely a fan of the new E65 7-Series, to my eye, this car is seriously Butt Ugly, and the current round of spy photos of the new E60 5-Series takes many styling cues from the E65. As such, I am highly unlikely to ever want such a car in my garage.

I know that many folks say that the new "Bangelized" cars will "Grow on you", but I am "Not Buying" that. I live less than a mile from BMWNA, and have seen the E65 cars running around here for over a year, and if anything, I like it less now than when I first saw it.

So, why would I lease a new E39 in the 8th year (the 1997 model year was released in early 1996) of its (likely) 9-year production run? Simple, I really like the design, AND I really DO NOT like what I have seen of the next generation 5-Series.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Many here do not like the new design of the 7 series and want to buy the 5 'before' it is redesigned with 7 series-like looks and/or features. Plus it will be about 18 months before the new 5 series will be available - a long time for some.

I am very aware of your concern, however. I bought a 323i in 2000 and just six months later the 2001's arrived with more horse power, more standard features, a '325' designation, and a lower base price. Aargh!
  • woobahwoobah Member Posts: 21
    Here is a link to a picture of the 2003 5 Series, and some info on it. I like the look of it. I also like the look of the new 7 Series. I think it is a new look, but new can be good. :) You decide:)

http://www.bmwworld.com/bmw/rumors6.htm
    To my eye, the new E60 is Butt Ugly.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I paid a visit to my local BMW dealer and the sales person stated the following about the E65. In general customers are not excited (being nice) about the new seven series (E65). Complaints range from the rear design to the idrive system. Sitting in the drivers’ seat the car has lost the cockpit feel. Simply put the car lost the Sport component in the Sport/Luxury equation. He further stated that customers are seeking 7-series models built between the late 90’s to 2001.

Based on what the motor press has been saying, the new 5-series (E60) will resemble the E65. There are even indications that the idrive will be standard. My guess is that this will not sit well with the majority of current 5-series drivers/owners. That being the case either the customer will look at other brands (Audi, MB, Acura, etc) or hold onto their current 5-series until the next redesign. In my opinion the current 5 has the right mixture of design, performance & luxury.

Chris
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I have stated this before in earlier posts but I regret not getting the Sport pkg & manual transmission on my 530i. I know I could upgrade my suspension with aftermarket components but there is still the issue with the transmission. I am wondering if anybody, that has leased their vehicle, has upgraded after just 1 year of ownership.

The thought, while somewhat crazy, is to order a 03 530i before the new platform is in production. My current car is being financed as a 3-year lease through BMW FS. I did speak with a rep at BMW FS. The rep indicated that customers have upgraded before lease end, even after 1 year of ownership. The question will be how much the dealer will give me vs. the buyout figure.

Chris
    Hmmm, given the historically high resale values of the 5er, you MAY just be able to step into a 2003 530i SP without getting doinked too much. Ask your friendly neighborhood dealer to run the numbers for you, you might just be surprised.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I accidently put a tiny dent on my car underneath a door jamb on passenger's side. It is so small that my wife have not noticed it, but it bothers me to know that it is there and just want to fix it. I have heard of paintless dent removal and would like to know if I have to go to a BMW dealer to get it done? Is it costly and does it malk sense for me to worry about it?
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I have 4000 miles on my '02 530i with the Continentals. I personally find them fairly good performance tires, and they've been generally quiet. When are yours noisy? Continuously, or just when cornering?

I've heard great things about the Bridgestone Potenza S03's (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_s03.jsp). I'll be sure to look into them when I need new rubber, but at 12k miles I doubt you're ready for new tires (unless you've driven them very agressively).
    I've heard good reviews about paintless dent removals as well. Prices vary, but I'd expect somewhere between $60 and $120 or so. I don't think dealers provide the service (in fact, dealers often outsource body repair work), but they might be able to recommend a good provider in your area.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While I don't have a 5er (or any BMW for that matter as most of you know), I have been following the board and their speedo error findings. I tried the set the cruise and then reset the trip computer trick on my 2000 Saab 9-3. It seems to be 1 mph less than the speedo. At 65 the TC read 64, at 75 the TC read 74, & at 85 the TC read 84.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I was under the impression that the stock tires were always Continentals. My 530 (with SP) that I picked up Saturday came with Dunlop tires and I see above that someone has Michelin tires on theirs. How is the brand of tire to use determined or is it somewhat random? Which stock performance tires are considered the best?
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Amen to Shipo's post #3209. My sentiments exactly. I just picked up my new 530i 5-sp Friday (turned in a '99 323i). This is an incredible car. I thought I was a BMW lifer, but if the next 5 resembles the new 7 inside and out, I'm looking elsewhere - I don't care how well it drives. I sat in the new 7 the other day...honestly, I would not trade my 5 for new 7. I asked the dealer how the 7 was selling, he hesitated and said pretty well, but sales are slowing now that the hype has worn off.
    I had a door ding (2" diameter, 3/16" deep) fixed via the PDR method a couple of weeks ago on my 328i. I figured it would be cheaper if I went to the source instead of having my dealership contract it out (maybe yes, maybe no), so I contacted Dent Wizards, and made an appointment at their location. As I understand it, most PDR places have a "Per Panel" fee (which fixes the first dent), and then add an extra nominal charge for each additional ding. Said per panel fee seems to vary by region, here in the NYC area, it seems to be $125, and an extra $25 for each additional item.

In my case, when the lady did my door with her mini-van (the witnesses were not able to get her license number) she hit hard enough for the sheet metal to bend in far enough to hit something on the inside. The result was her 2" concave dent, and a separate convex point an inch lower on the door skin. My total bill was $150 plus tax, and it took less than an hour. I am TOTALLY pleased with the job.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the info on dent removal. I talked to a few places and got quotes range from $50-200. A guy from Ding Depot that I talked to sounded reasonable so I will take my car in for them to look at. It is a concave dent about half an inch wide and a quarter inch deep, it is inconspicuous but it annoys me when I look at it. I hope I am not the only one that want the car to have a perfect look. I will tell you how good they are once they finish fixing it.
  • ek5ek5 Member Posts: 33
    Our 530i is "En Route" and I have a couple of questions...

1) Daytime Running Lights - we chose to not have them "wired up" after our dealer told us there is no way to override and turn them off. Is this true?

2)After reading the Delivery Checklist (website posted by some kind soul a few weeks back), it states "Verify with dealer if you do/don't want front/rear plates installed plus an concerns about holes in front." Does the dealer drill holes through your bumper to install the plates? Last time we were at a dealer, I thought the front plate area was plastic and the back metal. Anybody know?

3) How can you find out the exact date of production? Our estimated date was April 5th. On April 6th we checked Owner Cirle and it was "Awaiting Transport", but didn't check web for a couple of days prior, so don't really know when it was produced. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Re DRLs, that is true in my experience - they are on when car is running and headlight switch is in either off or parking lamp position. BTW, on the 5 series, the DRL is a dedicated low-intensity element inside the high beam (inner) lamp. A few weeks back, there was a lively discussion on the merits of DRLs either here or on 3 board - I don't remember which. I opted to activate them because there are daytime lighting conditions in which cars blend into the background, and the lights can make the difference between being seen or not. I think they're a good idea for the population at large, if only because they end-run the morons who won't burn headlights during inclement weather. Not that this appllies to anyone on this board, of course.
    1) Pap5's comments are correct. I chose not to have mine activated, either, although I do see the value of them. It's hard to explain, but it's sort of like my reason for getting a stick: I like the control of deciding for myself (I also never use the automatic setting on the lights). In anything but bright overhead sunlight, I usually turn my parking on (and sometimes fogs on as well) so I'm more visible to oncoming traffic and cars pulling out in front of me. At the first hint of darkness, fog, or rain, I let loose the xenons (in fog and rain I also keep my fogs on for additional visibility, even though they don't provide much help with actual illumination). By the way, you CAN have DRL's activated and then disconnected, but you'll have to ask the dealer to do so.

2) I believe that delivery checklist (which, if memory serves, I posted the link to) was a generic one, not one for 5-series. You're correct; the front license plate bracket sits in place by beeing wedged in there between two slits on the bumper. I'm fairly sure no holes are drilled.

3) Call BMWNA at 800-831-1117, option 3, and ask them (using your VIN or production number). Owner's Circle is entertaining but vague and slow.
  • stevenlh1stevenlh1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a 530i later this year. I'm not a real audiophile, so I think I'd be happy with the standard audio system. One feature that would be nice, though, is speed-sensitive volume adjustment. Does the standard audio include such a feature? In my current car I find that I adjust the audio volume a lot (it is an older Acura Legend, a reasonably quiet car). Thanks for your help.
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    Yes, the standard 2002 530i radio has it and you can adjust it by accessing a hidden menu that appears on the MID if you depress and hold the "M" button immediately after turning the radio on.
  • musafirmusafir Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your suggestions on hotels.
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    I emailed you with my Chicago buying suggestions, but the email bounced back today saying it could not be delivered after three days. If you want, email me, and I will forward it to your working email address.
  • rwolprwolp Member Posts: 11
    I live in Florida where there are no front license plates (as an aside, I wonder why some states have them and others don't). Anyway I want to get one of the BMW logo plates for the front. Any idea where to get one on the web and approximate cost? I'd rather not make a special trip to the dealer, because it is inconvenient. Thanks.
    BavAuto's (http://www.bavarianautosport.com/) got one (silver background: #LPORM, black background: #LPORB) for $34.95.

Or you can call some of the larger volume parts dealers (http://www.pacificbmw.com/ or http://www.circlebmw.com/), which would be happy to send you one by mail (unsure of cost).
  • ek5ek5 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your valued input!
  • taylorttaylort Member Posts: 31
    The tire pressure is good and it is a continuous noise.

My car came with Michelin Primacy tires. I don't think I have been overly aggressive while driving.

I need to schedule an appointment with my dealer to have the Aux Fan replaced for the second time (2nd recall) so I will get them to look at it.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Did you get a letter(a second letter) from BMW concerning your replacement aux fan or did you just complain enough to get another installed? I have had mine replaced once and so far so good, but should there be a problem, I'd like to know how to go about getting another. Also, let us know what your dealer says about your Primacy tire noise. Thanks.
    I have asked other members a couple of times if they found that their Steptronic transmissions slipped what I believed to be excessively in auto mode. I was going to have the dealer check it out at the first service, but with about 5,000 miles still to go, could wait no longer. I took my 530i in last week, and sure enough, they found a defective valve body. A couple days in the shop, and voila - it drives like a different car! I can't believe I waited so long.

Good news (besides fixing the defect): The dealer handled it like a champ. For those in the D.C. area, it's BMW of Sterling, a new dealership. I set up the appointment the day before. When I brought it in, they had the shop foreman drive while I rode. He confirmed there was a problem, they "admitted" the car immediately, and set me up with a loaner.

Bad news: The loaner - an '02 325i 5-speed. Bombing around in that car was a blast. It's much stronger than I recall from a cursory test drive at another dealership last year. I hated to give it up when my car was ready. I am a sick puppy.
    Just came back from a 2-day business trip. My '98 540i6 returned 24.60 mpg on interstate (74 mph) and 2-lane county roads (64 mph). She just turned over 60,000 miles. She went 461.4 miles on 18.759 gallons. The trip computer showed 6 miles left. Since the fuel tank is supposedly only about 18.5 gallons, now thinking there just might really be a 2.6 gallon reserve in addition to the regular tank. But do I dare push her some more to find out???
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    I just checked the manual and it says:

Fuel tank gal. 18.5
    Reserve gal. 2.0 525, 530
    2.5 540

For me it is obvious that Reserve is not included in the 18.5. It's on the separate line and there is no reason to believe that it is a part of 18.5.
  • delta9delta9 Member Posts: 4
    My wife has a 328i with Continental tires. We were told recently by the dealer that we need new tires. The car only has approximately 20,000 miles. Has anybody encounter this problem. The Continental web site states that the tire is warrantied for 60,000 miles.
    I'm probably missing something obvious, but have not been able to find the answer in the owner's manual, videotape, or CD: How do you reset the standard computer to start new gas mileage, etc. calculations? Is it by resetting the trip odometer?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Just hold in the button on the signal stalk. The selected setting will reset to 0.
    First, where did you see this warranty information? I just checked both the US and German sites, and couldn't find this 60k mile warranty. Either way, I'm fairly sure such a warranty covers defects and workmanship, not treadware (which is, of course, a wear-and-tear item).

A 20k mile treadlife isn't great, but it's within the normal range for performance tires. Look at it as the price to pay for having a great driving and performing car. You can replace them with harder-rubber all-seasons, but be prepared for performance to suffer.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    delta9, I have Conti's on my 323i with sport package. Mine are Z rated 225/50/16. I have 13,000 miles on them and I am guessing I'll get about 25,000. I just rotated them about 1,000 miles ago. There are no mileage warrantees on z rated tires. However, if you have all seasons (no sport package), they should last at least 40,000. If that is the case, you should contact a Continental distributor for a waranty information.
    Did you buy your car from Sterling? Normally, a loaner will be provided to you only if you take your car back to the dealer you bought the car from. I live in the area but did not buy mine from Sterling, I want to know just in case I want to take it in for service. Fairfax BMW is less than 5 minutes from me but I have heard bad things about them and not sure if I want to deal with them when I have a problem.
    Washed both my '98 540i6 and my wife's '00 323iA over the weekend. Once again her front alloy wheels are covered by brake dust. Seems like her front alloy wheels are nearly always covered by brake dust. Mine have a lot less and much harder to see.

Keep wondering why so much difference in brake dust between the two. Mine has standard Sport Package. Her's is just Premium Package. Usually thought sport packages used the type brake pads that created dust issue.
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I think you can also press and hold the "set" button on the OBC.

I was starting to play around with the steptronic transmission yesterday. Any advise on how to best drive with it? It seems to always start you off in 2nd gear. Should I start in first?
    Consider yourself lucky: My 530i produces a ton of brake dust. After washing the wheels, I'm lucky if they still look clean three days later. Perhaps your wheels are fairly good at hiding it? By the way, the sport package doesn't come with different brakes or pads.
  • rlowrierlowrie Member Posts: 30
    I am (or was?) about to start the process of working out a deal on a 2002 540i for lease and European Delivery in Spetember (first time I could get there). My local dealer (VOB in Maryland) told me a couple of things that conflict with what I have heard on this and other boards. 1)I can't get one for Sept delivery because "they will have stopped production of the current body style and the factory is closed in August and when it reopens they will be producing the new body style for which no current pricing exists." This seems a year earlier than I had heard and 2) They can not commit to lease terms this far out and I would have to order the car now and I would be at the whim of the lease rates at the time of final payment (60 days before delivery). Can anyone help shed some light on these facts? Is my dealer clueless? Am I making a mistake getting a car in September as 02 shifts to 03? Thanks for any input.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Lease rates do change (as interest rates fluctuate). You might not be able to work out a "lease deal" as far as monthly payments go, but you certainly can negotiate the "capitalized cost" of the vehicle ($1200-$1500 over invoice) and have an idea of what your monthly payment will be based on current rates. Your payment me go up or down by September depending on residuals and money factors. Hope that helps a little bit!

CAR magazine says the 5 series is due to be replaced in 2003. Many on the board here have specualted that the new 5 will come out in late 2003 as a 2004 model. It is a mystery to everyone though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD