Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..for Toyota that is... 2000 Solara SE V-6 5-speed manual: no problems @50575 miles. Highway fuel econ continues to rival that of a 4-banger.

Best MPG to date: Bend, OR to Redding, CA - - - 37.5 ('course it's downhill.....)...ez
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    At least it will be fixed under the mfg warranty. toyota has a 60 mo 60000 mile warranty. unless the motor mounts were mysteriously loosened.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    He said Bend, OR.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Ha ha ha..........., oh man you are killing me. Ha ha ha ............., oh my tears. ooh hoo, ha ha ha......., can't help it....
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "You don't really believe that his engine fell onto the hiway do you?"

Of course I believe it.
    I read it on the internet.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Anyone has experience on SE 4 cyl AT? Does it has enough power to keep up with the freeway on ramp etc. How is the handling? I tested drove an SE sport V6. The power was great and handling very well for how we normally drive. But the price was a little bit higher than we want to spend. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    I often drive my gf's 4-cyl AT Solara '02 with plenty of on-ramps on busy I-95 etc, and I am impressed.
    I don't think it needs a 6-cyl. Guess it depends on your driving style.
  • royaloakrangerroyaloakranger Member Posts: 8
    The mechanic at my dealership came up with some rather large news. He talked with the Toyota Canada head office and said that Toyota engineering in Japan has now stepped in and given the left drift problem a "Priority 1" designation.

They have designated an exclusive Japanese engineering team to work on the fix and are now working on it with great urgency because it is a steering safety issue (liability). Apparently, thousands of vehicles are affected.

When they come up with the final fix (1-2 months approximately), they will issue a TSB, at which point our left leaners will be immediately called in for repairs.

Stay tuned
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    is the left pull problem confined to previous generation solara? or the new model too?
    left pull TSB fix will be on 04's only
    Adjusting the alignment for the left pull only aggravates the problem(s) over time because the tires will unduly increase their wear.

They checked my alignment and it was on spec. For more in depth info, try solaraguy.com

Thus far Toyota believes that the strut assembly is not perpendicular. If it is off center then the vehicle pulls.

As stated previously, the Japanese engineers are on it because it is a "Priority 1" problem to be fixed ASAP because faulty steering is a huge liability for them.

Well, at least that's how the mechanic at my dealership explained it to me.
  • swan898swan898 Member Posts: 15
    The 4 cyl has all the power you will need in normal driving. We have the o4SLE4 and never had any problem merging. Wash state probably has more hills than most states and no problem. If balks at all on a hill just kick it out of OD into 3rd. The 0to6o speeds are almost identical in the 4 or 6. I would say the 6 is for bragging rights. At a couple of thou. cost. Even the dealer said,I'd rather you got the six, we make more, but for value get the 4. The 04 handles perfectly.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    While I agree the 4 is plenty powerful for most day to day driving, it is a bit of a stretch to say that the 4 is nearly as powerful as the six. IT IS NOT. The V-6 does 0 to 60 in 7 seconds flat. The 4 takes a full 2 seconds longer to reach the same speed. You obviously haven't driven the 6
  • tprjimtprjim Member Posts: 16
    Hello!
       I have a few questions regarding the 1999 Solara I purchased a few days ago.
     What are your thoughts on using synthetic oil? (37000 miles).
     Any comments, for or against, any particular wood dash supplier.
     No manual came with the vehicle; I was told by a Toyota dealer mechanic that the v-6 uses regular grade fuel but a review said premium; which one? Thank you for any forthcoming advice.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i had a 99 solara V6-- used regular unleaded, not premium-- no problem.... hope you enjoy the car (good luck with the coinbox tho)
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    If you have the extra money, there should be no doubt that you would get the 6. It just makes the car that much better. I've driven both and there is a significant difference. You may only "need" the 6 in a few situations, but it definitely makes for a better car. IMO. Of course.
  • arcticbeautyarcticbeauty Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. I just purchased an arctic frost SE sport from CarMax in Kenosha, WI. I purchased the car for $2350.00 off it's MSRP. As an owner of many different higher end vehicles over the past 15 years, I have developed an appreciation (more like an unyielding need)for quality engineered vehicles. My current vehicles are a '93 LS 400 I've had since new, a 1 month old '04 Sequoia LTD (that replaced my '02) and, of course, my new Solara. I wanted a vehicle that I could used to log numerous weekly 70 mile highway stints in comfort and with good gas mileage. Although I have only had the Solara for 3 days, I am absolutely blown away by its level of refinement both in it's exterior finish and interior materials. The black interior in the SE sport is absolutely beautiful....the SLE's faux woodgrain looks good at a distance but looks clearly fake up close. The Sport has a carbon fiber finish that looks gorgeous against the black lined dash, doors, and the silver finished center console. When sitting inside this vehicle, you absolutely feel as though you are behind the wheel of a $45k+ luxury coupe....and driving it is not only enjoyable because it is comfortable but extremely fun as well. I drove the Honda Accord Coupe the night before I decided on the Solara and I was surprised by how much vibration there was in the steering wheel and how noisy the ride was. The Accord is an attractive car but does not remotely have the level of refinement and luxury that the Solara possesses.( I certainly take offense to people who call one car or another "ugly" as this is solely subjective and means nothing. Hell, some guys like to sleep with women over 300 lbs., does that make it right?? So why should we care whether someone thinks this car is beautiful or ugly?) When driving the Solara, you have to look at the steering wheel and see the Toyota emblem to remind yourself you're not in a Lexus. I am absolutely stunned that you can purchase a vehicel this exceptional for $20k....I'm absolutely giddy about it. As far as the 4 cyl versus 6 cyl debate goes.....it's like this. I just returned a 2000 Jag XJR that was on lease for 3 years (talk about a stupid mistake). The vehicle had 370 HP and was supercharged. It was like driving a rocket ship...but guzzled gas like a jet plane. My point in mentioning this is that I've grown accustomed to having ample power available should I want it. In driving the 4 cyl SE Sport, I have been extremely impressed by how powerful and refined the 4 cyl engine is. It has plenty of power and the transmission is perfectly mated to it....seamless shifts and beautiful cruising. If you like driving like those bozos in Mustang GT's who have 2" penises and try to act tough and floor the accelerator every chance they get, then the V6 is for you. Otherwise, if you are comfortable with your masculinity and don't want to waste gas unnecessarily, then the 4 cyl is your bag.
    This has been a long winded post but I wanted to express how impressed I am with the vehicle. I believe that once the automotive world recognizes the value at hand with the Solara, the vehicle will really benefit in terms of resale value, etc. This is just the MOST car you can get for this amount of money. Period.
    Interesting post. I'd really like the ES 300, but for a lot less money I think the SLE V6 looks pretty good beside it. I realize one is a coupe and one a sedan, but that choice isn't going to be a major factor in my final decision. As I stated in a previous post, the Solara has some nice features that the ES does not have. Your post may help make the final decision.
    ....appreciate your well-written insights. For the record - and on behalf of the 6 cylinder - superlative mileage is not limited to the 4.

Routinely, I log 31-33 highway MPG with my SE-V6 Solara. Are you familiar with a manual transmission....again, cogent review (for the most part)
  • matthewhmatthewh Member Posts: 19
    EZshift5
    Are you sure there is a different between the 4 and 6 cylinder? I was thinking about special order my 2005 4-cylinder 4Runner to tow my boat up to Lake Tahoe. Just kidding. May be the 4 is fine for normal driving but the V6 is much better IMHO. If the Solara comes with a V-8 then I would say a bit overkill.

Happy Holliday
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    i myself just recently bought a '99 Solara SLE V6, too. i read that, while regular unleaded is fine, you can actually get a few more HP if premium is used......

not sure it's worth the extra money, but oh well........
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    This topic is called "Toyota Solara-- Part 6." You say you want to have a thread that's devoted to the '04 ONLY? That topic already exists: it's
    "2004 Toyota Solara."

please don't take it the wrong way, but maybe YOU'RE the one who needs to take it elsewhere?
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    04 owners,

When are you going to have the first oil change? 1.5K miles, 3K miles, 5K miles?
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Our '04 Solara will get an oil change and tire rotation every 5,000 miles.
    My wife drives about 15,000 miles per year, so that will mean an oil change abour every 4 months.
  • dvivinodvivino Member Posts: 8
    First oil change - probably around 2,000. And probably every 5,000 after that.
    Just wonder if I should follow the maintenance menu and change oil every 5K miles. Or change the first one earlier and then every 5K miles.

Will there be any harm if I change the "break-in" oil too early?
    I certainly wasn't knocking the V6--we're all in the Solara family, right? In urban areas (I'm in Chicago), you're going to spend a large part of your time behind the wheel sitting in traffic or going about 15-30 mph during the rush hour drive. Or, if you're like me, you're going to drive a few blocks at a time to make stops at various bars on the weekends. Therefore, without any twisiting mountain roads, etc. etc. here in downtown Chicago, the 4 works just dandy. Remember, this is a NEW 4 -banger, not the prior one.
    The Toyota tech I've gotten to know very well has told me that the first oil change at 1k miles is a good idea. After that, go every 3k miles, not 5k-7k (If you live in the city and do a lot of stop and go driving). Don't waste your money on synthetic or engine additives like "Slick 50"...they're useless. More frequent oil changes with good conventional oil are FAR better for your car than more infrequent oil changes with synthetic. I think anyone who knows cars will agree with this.
    I just want to make sure if anything happens, Toyota won't blame me for not following the maintenance guide. Because it said change the oil every 5K miles. It's more about the first oil change that I'm worried about because the oil in the car now is different (looks clearer and thinner) than regular engine oil and I don't know if I should take it out that soon.
    I remember my mechnician told me to follow the schedule 5K even on the 1st oil change. Most European and Japanese manufecturers add special conditioner into the oil for more protection. If they do, you will drain that conditioner too early to be effective. Plus laser is used for the cut and trim so the rough edge of new engine piston issue no longer exist. If you really concern or uncertain if conditioner added, change it at 3K or 3 months. And follow 5K period until 15K service to synchronize in the future. My 2 cents.
    Articbeauty
    The 4-Cyl is a very good engine and is fine for almost everybody. If you have a few extra bucks ($$$), the V6 is worth it to have and fun to drive with the manual shift feature. Both engine are very good.

Theflow
    I changed my oil at 2000 miles (probably don't need to) and 5000 miles and every 5000 miles after that. Old habit never die. For city driving only, I would consider every 3000 miles. With this interval, there is no need for synthetic oil. Definetely stay away from added on stuffs (Bad habit from yesterday technology). It will not help the engine but eat up the gasket over the long run.

I took the car to LA. It ran beautiful over the Grapevine (mountain). It cruise at 70 mph (4th gear maunual shift all the way up).
    Okay, I know what a manual is. I know what an Automatic transmission is. But what is a "seqential" automatic transimission? Is it just a gimmick or does it do something that provides a benefit? I know stupid question.....but now I'll know.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    So called break in oil is a myth. If a manufacture really used break in oil / or had special additives - it would say something about it in the owners manual.

When an engine is first put together many of the parts are lubricated with special oil - this is so they are not dry during the first start up. I think this is how / why many people have the mistaken idea that the oil that comes from the factory is somehow special.
    Thanks for the response guys.

I drive the car 1-3 times a week, usually during weekend when there's not much stop and go traffic on freeway. Each time I put at least 100 miles on it and I would say it's 77% freeway, 23% city driving. I have the car for 2 months and have 15xx miles on it. I drive it gently and don't floor the car too often. Given my driving habit, what do you guys think is the proper mileage for the first oil change? I'm not trying to be cheap on oil changes and I don't mind changing it frequently at 3K miles. But I just want to make sure I do it right for the first one.
    ....V-6 Solaras mfg prior to '03 were manual/stick capable. C/D (9/99) pertains for the doubters not too burdened with traffic, bar-hopping and other dense population specifics.

Matthewh: In about a week, it's south toward the Grapevine. This time - per your post - I'll use 4th gear (it's an overdrive also) just for variety. Happy Holidays...ez
    A Solara is worst than a Focus???

Actually, I'm glad you didn't buy it.
    I thought all those Acura owners wouldn't even go into a Toyota dealership - let alone consider ordering one. What's the deal with that? If Snakerbill already drives the "PERFECT" Acura, I am surprised he would even consider the lowly Solara.

And I guess all those positive reviews by Edmunds, C&D, KBB are from a bunch of shills for Toyota.

Is Snakerbill an Acura salesman? I wouldn't be surprised.
    Don't bother. Just ignore his comments. I think he more likely to be Honda dealer since the Solara's main competitor is Accord and it sell not as well as Solara. Just guessing. His last false comment that got a new Solara only show he is a big liar. Everyone in this topic for some time know he keep complaining his lemon '99 solara (I don't even think he has one). His comments on the Solara only negative never positive. And he will buy another Solara? Get a life Snakebill. There are so much thing you can do while making up story!
    I think he got wrecked 99 Honda from a used auto body shop, except, they put the Solara skin on by mistake.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Haven't seen this in person, but the pictures indicate that the upper dash (i.e., above the "wood" on the SLE) is a charcoal color--unlike the darker interiors in which the upper dash -matches- the primary interior color. Frankly, I don't get this. Why mix and match? Love the inside otherwise.
    Correction: Was misinformed about the TSB being issued. I'm a bit new to all this and now ready to ask more specific questions.

Called another Toyota dealership service rep today and asked for a left pull update. Unfortunately, there is no TSB yet.

However, they had 2 engineers from Toyota California head office in and they turned the strut supports about 1 inch counter clockwise then fitted on a new 3 dot camberbolt 90105A0005. They then realigned the vehicle to spec.

They have done this fix to 5 Solaras and 1 Camry and reported that they are all running dead solid perfect. Also, they now do this to every Solara they sell before it leaves the lot.

They faxed this fix to my dealership to have the work done on Monday.

Until then.....
    Just got back from a one hour get together with a head mechanic at a private alignment shop. He said that the fix that I mentioned peviously (where the strut assembly is turned 1 inch counter clockwise with the new camber bolt and original alignment specs) is only masking the true underlying problem.

He advised me to be patient and wait for the official TSB to come out and begin the arbitration procedure at the same time (carrot and stick).

I'm cancelling my Monday morning appointment and making an appointment with the regional manager instead.

This beautiful car deserves to be fixed properly.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Caster angle is what causes pulling issues in all vehicles and it sounds like they are making a change in that spec by rotating the upper mount and to me thats not masking the problem,it's a step in the right direction.People who are going for alignments and only getting toe/camber adjustments will not see an improvement on the pulling issue.This is my 2nd Solara (had a 00)and have never had any pulling problems...
    (never any pulling probs since driving off showroom floor) 2000 Solara SE-V6 manual shift.

And still recording 31-33 highway fuel economy using cruise control/5th gear....happy h...ez
  • gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    I'm considering installing a Cellport hands-free cell phone system in my 2000 V-6 SLE. Has anyone tore apart the dash/A pillar/roof lining to install a cell phone microphone, antenna or the like? Pictures would be useful :)

Thanks in advance.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Why not follow the recommendations in the manual? If you feel you fall under the "severe" usage schedule, follow that oil change routine.
    Why someone would change the oil even more often than the severe schedule recommends (changing first oil at 500 or 1000 miles etc.), makes no sense. This is not 1970.
    I agree - just follow the oil change interval recommended in the manual. If you want to be on the safe side, follow the severe-use interval. Toyota has proven they build long-lasting engines.

But for other owners, the peace of mind is worth the more frequent changes, I guess. It's their time and money.
    Could you speculate on why the Edmunds editors don't share your opinion of the new Solara?

There are others as well, but I can't link from the site. Is everybody *else* wrong?
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    your posts/bio read an awful lot like a fella who used to post here - he wanted an Acura, but got a lemon Solara.

as a happy 200 Solara owner, i have to agree with The Flow - so your one bad experience with a car makes you hate the whole company? maybe you should take your bile someplace useful?
    I'm glad you clarified that for me--i.e., that your judgement about the Solara is based on a relatively brief experience with a *single* vehicle.

When you wrote this---

"Consider this; if Toyota allowed these cars to hit the street with a goofy front suspension, and a transmission that is not in sync with the engine and jerks through the gears, why would anyone buy one?"

---I was almost sure that you were making a sweeping generalization about all Solaras. I'll remember in the future not to be "confused by the facts" as reported by one person based on one alleged experience.