Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    There are no rules in this lifetime that says you can only use your enjoyment in a certain prescribed manner. Do what makes you happy and don't look back. :)
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    I read you post and started laughing. You are correct, I did say I got comliments from people about the back seat of the 5er. The things is that I am not really too concerned about my back seat drivers. I guess that might sound cruel, but I only drive alone about 80% of the time. Then 15% of the time it is just me and my girlfriend. Then the remaining 5% of the time, I pick up my kids and it is all 4 of us in the car. The 5er is nice in that the kids sit far enough apart so they can't touch each other. This eliminates fighting, this would change if I got a 3er, and would be realy interesting if I got a 325Ci like I really am leaning towards. Don't get me wrong, I love my 5er, I am just throwing ideas out there. I am a car junky so I think about a new car about 3 - 4 months after I get a new one.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Mseals

We had a 98 528 sports and we got a 325 sports in 2001. We returned the 528 when the lease was up. Now after keeping the 2001 325 for 2 years,we went back to a 5 series again last month, this time is a CPO 99 540i sports.

The 5 series is just a perfect balanced car, no matter which engine it is. Even the data shows the wheelbase is just a little longer than the 3 series. The interior feels much more roomy, and the car feels every bit just as sporty as the 3 series. In my opinion the 540 is just a perfect roomy car with lots of horsepower for everyday use.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    dantlo... You are absolutely correct. Love me 540i6. Wife loves her 323ia. I enjoying driving hers. (She can't drive mine, since it is a stick.)

Wife and I recently test drove MY 2003 525ia and MY 2003 325xi. While I prefered the 525ia, she prefered the 325xi.

To each his/her own. You won't go wrong with any 3 or 5 Series.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I am with Snagiel on this as well. I am certainly not the authority on the 3series cars but I have driven the 3 series several times and I have two 5ers. So here is my $0.02 worth.
    I like both cars. The 3 is a very fun car, lighter, more tossable (Do I hear an echo here, see above- snagiel's comments). However, after owning the 5 for a while, it would be really hard for me to go back into the 3 series. In my opinion, the 5 is definetly more comfort/luxury oriented, materials used for fit and finish seem to be of higher quality. Also the 5 has amazing handling abilities with the sport package. This is just my opinion. The 3 would be more cramped in the backseat width and headroom area. The 3 wouldn't work for me as I have two young kids, however for you it may be OK.

Spyderred,
    mseals & spyderred... I've got two kids, both over age 10. No problem getting them in either our 540i6 or 323ia. I sometimes take my two kids and two of their friends to McDonald's playland. I've had 4 kids in both our cars multiple times. I and they prefer the back of the 540i6. For three kids in back, the 5 is a bit wider. And her '00 323ia has only a center lap belt, while my '98 has 3 lap/shoulder belts in back.

But can't say there is any real difference in useable trunk space. Both are nicely shaped and equally useable. Thankfully BMW uses the non-intrusive multi-link trunk hinges.
    Hey guys, thanks for you insight. I think was I really miss it the tight sporty feeling from my old 2000 Civic Si. That being said, maybe when I am ready to buy another car, I will try and find a 5er with the sport package. That should tight up the suspension feeling. Right now, my car is very plush in the suspension feel. It really soaks up all the bumps and road irregularities. In fact it is weird seeing a bump then hearing it but not really feeling it. The car seems to hug the road really well, it almost feel like a rollercoaster ride. The car has totally suprised me at how well it handles the curves and undulating road surfaces while never feeling harsh. I think the sport suspension whould be an added plus without being harsh or abusive. I am going to try and possibly switch from the stock 15" tires to some 17"s in teh summer and see if that makes a difference. I don't necessarily need better handling so I don't want to go all out and get new shocks and springs. I don't want to spend that kind of money either. I am very happy where the car is in terms of handling. Absolutely incredible for a car this size and weight.
  • tristanrtristanr Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have opinions between these two vehicles? For the price as well as for overall car. The M540 is listed at $25k (before import) and the Dinan is $29k. I am looking for something a bit unique and that is why these are on my list.
    tristanr... Be sure to have each inspected by a mechanic. Go over service, warranty, and repair records carefully. Make sure all the maintenance performed.

Big issue would be to ensure neither had been "abused" and both were well taken care of. For Dinan-modified cars, I'm just a bit leery that the person had a lot of performance mods done and then fully used them (e.g., on track). But there are a ton of things Dinan can do. Were the mods performance oriented? Or appearance oriented?

The '95 used a 4.0L V-8. The '97 has a 4.4L V-8. But the MY1997 E39 was the first year. I'm always a bit leery of first MY. But that was also a long time ago and good maintenance, repairs, and warranty work likely corrected any first-year "gremlins".

How many miles are on each? On original or different set of tires? How many sets of tires gone thru?
    Does anyone have opinions between these two vehicles? For the price as well as for overall car. The M540 is listed at $25k (before import) and the Dinan is $29k. I am looking for something a bit unique and that is why these are on my list.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    My dealer told me that BMW recommends going no longer than one year before changing the oil, regardless of mileage or no. of service indicator lamps left. Even though I also had one lamp still lit when I had my first service done, it was fully covered under the factory maintenance program. I suggest you contact your dealer about scheduling the oil change now.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, the M540 is essentially an E34 M5 with the M60B40 V8 replacing the S38 M DOHC inline 6. It's a lot of fun, and I'd prefer it over the E39. The only caveat is the engine. Make sure it has the Alusil block. See http://www.koalamotorsport.com/ Stick a Conforti chip in the ECU and you'll have one unique and fast car.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    That's true, but if you hit the one year mark and have only one green bar left, it's worth waiting a few more gas fillups' worth before it turns orange and alerts you to change the oil. The reason is, while the dealer will change the oil at the one-year mark, they won't reset the service computer until it indicates service is necessary. (Perhaps some dealers will, but they're instructed not to do so by BMW.)

The "one-year" change isn't a hard rule but rather an ammendment that's been circulated to dealers through a service advisory to avoid cases where people accumulate miles slowly and drive gingerly, which could result in the oil not being changed for 2+ years in some cases. Therefore, if you end up changing the oil at 13 or 14 months for the first time, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    To clarify the oil change question, I called my local dealer here in LA and was told by the service department that where the car has gone over one year since an oil change and has only one lamp left on the indicator, I may bring the car in for the covered oil change and have the indicator reset.

As for 3 vs 5 back seat room, here is my 2 cents worth: Before we got the 530, we were set to get the 330. I was at the dealership that day with the intent to negotiate a deal. My wife insisted that we put the baby car seat in as a test. We did, and it was a tight fit. We then put it in the 5-series. It was a better fit. That fact alone was the deciding factor for us between the 3 and the 5. However, when I test drove a CPO 528, I was dismayed. Too slow and unresponsive for what I was looking for (even with the 5-speed). Fortunately they had a 530i 5-speed with SP on the lot. I was sold. And wouldn't you know, just 9 months after we got the car, we had to add a second baby car seat in the back!
    Pen, did you go home and celebrate the added backseat room when you got home? That is so funny that you had another baby 9 months later. I was just at the dealership today to have my oil changed. All went great, they switched to sythetic on my car. They said that they don't use regular oil any more on oil changes, only synthetic. I was under the impression that this was bad for the seals, but I guess I have to trust their judgement, they said it was ok even though I have 85k miles.
    A lot of people are talking about babyseats or booster seats. But for older kids and people just seatbelted in, one has to keep in mind that both the 3 and 5 Series have large driveshaft tunnels running thru them. These really eat up leg room for the person sitting in the middle of the back. Forces person to splay their legs to either side. Yes, the additional width of the 5 makes the people in back have some more shoulder and hip room, but not sure there really is any more knee, leg, or feet room.

Neither car is that great for a 3rd adult in back. But that comes with the RWD territory. Driveshaft tunnels eat up space in Lincoln LS, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G35, etc. Heck, they even do it in Lincoln Town Car, Ford Crown Victoria, and Mercury Grand Marquis. If you sit in back, you don't want to sit in the middle. Most RWD sedans are really 2-people-in-back cars.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    The 540 has "lots of horsepower for everyday use"? I love it! I'd use it every day, too.:)
  • 4thlexus4thlexus Member Posts: 10
    I am a happy new owner of a 2003 M5. I have been following all of your messages for sometime now and I must say they are extremely helpful. If you have any helpful suggestions/advise re:M5, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I better change my username...
    4thlexus... Maybe 1stM5? Congrats. Enjoy. I'm jealous. I want your LSD. You should join BMW CCA (which will get you Roundel, their monthly magazine). You might also read Bimmer magazine.
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Came across an on-line nice CPO 2002 530 in this color. I have never seen the color on the street - has anyone else, or does anyone have one - am very curious as to what people think of this color? Unique color for sure, but not sure it is for me!
  • sel3sel3 Member Posts: 33
    My 2003 525i just arrived. It has he Prem Package. The rear view mirror is not automatic dimming although it does have a photo-cell in the front(facing the windshield), but not one the back (facing the driver). The problem is that due to the alarm system light located on the bottom of the mirror, there is no traditional switch to adjust the mirror to reduce the glare from headlights coming behind the car.

Any ideas?
    I have the same problem with my '01 525i. I have the round alarm light on the bottom of the mirror. No premium package either. I looked in the owners manual to see how I can tilt the mirror when the lights are reflecting thru the rear view mirror but nothing describes my setup. I don't have either light sensors in the rear view mirror, the one in the face or back of mirror. Any ideas?

Spyderred
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    I bevieve you just twist the red alarm pickup knob to switch the rear-view mirror. The photo-cell facing the windshield is for the auto adjusting wipers.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    If you have an '03 with Premium package, you have the auto dimming light. There are two sensors. One on the front and back. You probably also have the rain sensor. That is right against the windshield. Do not try to twist the clown nose, it will not budge. A quick test would be to get in your car at night and do two things: 1)Place your foot on the brake, look at the mirror and place the car in reverse. The mirror should make the rear clear. 2)Turn the center light on, you mirror should almost go dark,not allowing you to see anything. If this does not work, take you car back to the BMW center. Cars have to be at a relatively close range or have Xenons for the mirror to darken.
    Thanks to div2 for the information. The car does have the Nikasil block which led me to do some research. The car performed well (between 90% - 94%) in a recent leakdown test, but I am still wary. I am still very interested in purchasing the car but have to consider the cost of replacing the block. Does anyone have the approxiamte cost to replace the block or any other opinions regarding the situation?
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Congratulations on your purchase. Unless I hit the lottery, I can assure you there will be no first-hand M5 advice from me.

Maybe change your username to Envyofall?
    In the BMW book the only difference between the 530 and 525 with Pre Package is the auto dimming mirror.

I have a photo-cell on the side of the mirror facing the windshield, but not on the side facing the driver. When compared to other cars on the lot, they all have the same photo-cell on front of the mirror, but only a few (I assume these are the cars with auto dimming have the photo-cell facing the driver).

How do I manually dim the mirror?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey Gang!

This (long) post is sort of a catch-up post, prompted in no small part by our 5-Series friend and compatriot DaBimmer, who just sent me an E-Mail suggesting (very tactfully I might add) that I get off my butt and rejoin the discussions here in the TownHall. Thanks Tony for the kick in the hind quarters. ;-)

For starters, I am NOT currently driving a BMW, I have instead graduated to a 1998 Green Dodge Caravan Sport (albeit with the 3.8L mill) for my motive pleasure. :-( More on this shocking development later. With that said, I am feeling the need to post some thoughts that are somewhat contrary to many of my earlier posts of the last couple of winters. As some of y’all might remember, I had posted fairly frequently that I felt the recommendations made by many of our peers for winter tires were, at best, over-rated. Well, I am now going to (at least in part) contradict myself.

As a point of reference, I graduated from a 1999 328i 5-Speed, PP, Xenon, Harman-Kardon, CD and Metallic Paint to a Sapphire Black/Black Leather, 2002 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Premium Audio and Xenon via a wonderful ED trip last April. Shortly after taking delivery of my 530i last May, my wife and I engineered a transfer to the Boston area, and we bought a house in southern New Hampshire. Needless to say, this has been an interesting winter.

Our first snow came on 23-Oct-2002, and even though it was only about two inches, I was hard pressed to get up my driveway! Throughout November we had a few more dustings and driving up my driveway sideways became the norm, not to mention “white knuckling it” while driving along at only 5MPH or so. So, I caved in, and ordered a wheel/tire package from TireRack.com that consisted of four Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires (225/55QR-16) mounted on four Borbet Type H (16x7.5) wheels, total price including shipping $1,007.11. My first chance to use them came on Christmas day, during what turned out to be an eighteen inch snow fall. My first indication that there was something special about these tires was (of course) going up the driveway. Even with over 4” already on the ground, I went right up with without so much as a single flash from the traction control light on the dash! Once on the road (not yet plowed, very rutted and a little slushy as well), I found myself passing cars that were failing in their attempt to climb the various hills around here, and driving right past MANY other vehicles off in the ditch, including TWO police cars! Within a couple of miles I reeled in a conga-line of 4WD vehicles where I made up the caboose. All of this was on a very hilly/winding/heavily crowned two-lane road, and the SUVs and other sundry 4WD vehicles in front of me were having a much more difficult time that I was. Go figure!

Since Christmas, we have had just over four feet of snow which consisted of two eighteen inchers, along with various dustings, ice/freezing rain, and general dumpings, through it all, my 530i (the one that I am no longer driving) has yet to put a paw in the wrong spot. All in all, that is quite amazing for a car that couldn’t get out of its own way (literally) prior to mounting the Arctic-Alpins.

As for dry/wet road characteristics, the Arctic-Alpins perform very much the same as did the Michelin MXV4-Plus tires that I had on my 328i. That is to say, quiet, reasonably competent grip and comfortable at highway speeds. Please note if you feel the need to drive over 100 MPH, then you will need to spend an extra $23.00 per tire and get the Michelin Pilot Alpin tires, which carry an “H” rating.

So, to all of those who have been carrying the “Winter Tire” banner all along, please accept my sincere apology, I am sorry I ever doubted you. ;-) For those of you who are still braving slippery roads on summer rubber, or for that matter on all-season rubber, you will be genuinely amazed by the grip afforded by winter tires. In a word, the feeling is “Uncanny”.

As for why I am currently driving one of the most ubiquitous, boring and utilitarian of all vehicles instead of one of the best looking and best performing sedans in the world, stay tuned for my next post, which is coming soon.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Given that I am by nature a story teller, I find myself being compelled to weave the tail as to why I am no longer counted among the ranks of BMW drivers. :-(

Almost four weeks ago, 9-Jan to be exact, I pulled up in front of my children’s day-care at about 5:30 PM to pick them up and take them to a long promised dinner at Taco Bell. During the day, we had temperatures around here that were just above freezing, and in fact, it was still just above 32 when I arrived.

I got out of my car, walked to the covered sidewalk (just in front of my car) and stepped into what I thought was a shallow puddle of water (it was actually a VERY shallow puddle, over a VERY thin layer of ice). As soon as I planted my left (leading) foot in the puddle, it shot forward with such alarming speed that I was caught completely by surprise, I knew that a fall was imminent. Due to the speed with which said left leg shot forward my body decided to come with it, much to the chagrin of my right leg and foot which were still ten inches lower, down in the parking lot. As I went forward, the toes of my right foot hit the curb, hyper extended the foot at the ankle, and snapped the Fibula like a twig. I heard it snap, and on the way down, I thought to myself “Yup, it’s broke”.

Once on the ground (lying in the puddle), I confirmed that I was, at the very least, badly injured, so, contrary to my nature, I actually called out for help. The only response I got was from a lady about twenty yards up the walk, who looked over/down at me and said, “Are you OK?” Even then the stupidity of the question struck me, however, given that I was going into shock, I wasn’t able to properly communicate the severity of the situation to her, so I said, “No lady I’m not, I just fell and broke my leg and I am going into shock!” What didn’t occur to me at the time was that telling someone that you are going into shock means very little, unless they have had some medical training, or of course, been in shock themselves.

She just got a sort of stupid look on her face, so, given that I was laying in a puddle of water with a temperature somewhere south of 33 degrees, I figured that I had better deal with the situation myself. I rolled out of the puddle and tried to get up. As soon as she saw me do this, she ran down to me saying, “Are you crazy? Don’t try to get up, just stay there!” With that, she proceeded to try and hold me down!

In my ever evaporating consciousness all I could say was, “Lady, I am going into shock, and I need to get inside the daycare and onto their sofa.” What I should of said was that I was about to pass out, and I didn’t want to do it while laying in a puddle of frigid water.

Fortunately, some guy happened by and quickly assessed the problem and told her in no uncertain terms, “Help me get him up and inside, NOW!”

She did, and as I hobbled into the daycare, one of my kids asked me “Daddy, are you all right?”

I managed to say, “No, I think I broke my leg…”, just as my butt hit the sofa, and I passed out cold. While I was out, the teacher (all of 21 years old), had the presence of mind to send all of the children to another class room, call 911, and then call my wife. Smart kid!

When I came around, I had literally no idea of who I was, where I was, or how I got there. All I knew was there was a guy holding me down and I wanted to hit him. He said, “Calm down, you are at your children’s day-care, and you fell and broke your leg.” Something he said must have struck a chord, because I stopped struggling and tried to make sense of the bizarre place in which I found myself. I suspect that it took at least 30 to 45 seconds to re-boot my brain and start to put the threads together into what might be called lucid thought.

Almost immediately after I came around, I saw the ambulance come into the lot, and I was off to the hospital. Due to all of the ice, there were several ambulances at the hospital, no beds available, and a log jam of gurneys in the hallway with folks who had fallen or been otherwise injured by the slippery conditions. The lady next to me was found by her husband when he got home from work laying on the sidewalk in front of their house, out cold. She came around while next to me, and I could really sympathize with the disorientation she experienced, at least I woke up in the same location where I passed out.

Given all of the broken bones and such, the hospital had already called in an Orthopedic Sturgeon [sic], who, when he evaluated me suggested that they pump me full of morphine for four or five days to let the swelling go down and then he would open me up and screw my lower right fibula back together and to re-locate my right foot (which was about a quarter of an inch too far to the left). I told him that I would prefer either no surgery at all or surgery ASAP, as in that night, if possible, because I was scheduled to fly to Taipei four days later. He told me that an non-surgical solution would be problematic (at best) and that, while he might be able to operate on me later that night if we could reduce the swelling enough, I sure as hell wasn’t going on any airplanes anytime soon regardless of when he performed the surgery. So, I took my morphine (via the IV, which burned my arm, made me want to puke and didn’t kill any pain, not even a little) like a good little boy and shut my big mouth. Just after midnight, after practically freezing my foot and leg to get the swelling down, he decided that he could in fact operate. Success, I was up and around on crutches about eight hours later.

When the Sturgeon made his rounds later in the day, I asked him again if I could go on my trip. His response was predictable, “Not a chance.”

So, I asked him, “Why not? Is there a medical reason?”

That is when he finally came clean and told me that there was a danger of blood clotting (he called it a “Pulmonary Hematoma”) with such a lower extremity injury being combined with the twenty plus hours of sitting in one spot in an airplane. That said, simply taking two aspirin a day and making sure I moved my leg/foot around as much as possible, should partially, if not completely eliminate the risk. Done, I was going.

The trip came off without a hitch (well, it was a little uncomfortable) , and on 23-Jan, I went back the see my Sturgeon for more X-Rays and a new cast. The good news was that the bone was healing well, however (the bad news) was that due to all of the ligament damage to the foot, I was going to be in a non-weight bearing cast until AT LEAST 20-Feb! Assuming all goes well, I will then transition to a walking cast for another four to six weeks, and then on to therapy and walking with a cane for another couple of months after that. The earliest that I can reasonably expect to drive a car with three pedals is sometime between Late May and mid June!

(continued...)
    Long story short, my wife has the 530i for the duration, and I am stuck driving the Caravan, left footed with my purple casted right leg over in the passengers’ foot well. ;-( Since I started driving a stick shift car back in 1977, this will be my longest stretch of driving an automatic; I hope I still remember how to stir my own gears when the time comes.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I truly wish you a speedy recovery. I am no BMW driver, but I do enjoy your posts. I do have a Dodge GCSport though.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I was just wondering the other day where had you gotten to.

I'm so sorry about your accident. Another one of those split seconds in life that we'd love to have a way to get back and do over, huh?

It's good to hear from you. Indeed, you are QUITE the story-teller.

Take care - hope you are back in the saddle of your 530i very soon. And don't be a stranger.

:-)
    Sel3,

A year and a half ago, I swapped my 328i 3-Series.Brave1Heart's 325i for a day, and had the same rear-view mirror dimming problem. It turns out that on the 325i (and I suspect on the 525i as well) that if you twist the "Clown Nose", the mirror will tilt into night mode.

VCheng,

Thanks, and thanks again. ;-)

I like the GC Sport, I really do, and when compared to other vehicles of its ilk, I like it even better. That said, even though it can easily outperform some of the sedans with "Sporty Intentions" that I have had in the past (thinking of my 1980 Audi 4000 5-Speed with the A/C on full blast), it is a far cry from my 530i.

Do yourself a favor sometime, treat yourself to a test drive. ;-)

Pat,

You can say that again, WOW would I LOVE a "Do Over!" ;-)

Thanks, and thanks again. My biggest concern about getting back in the saddle too soon is how well my right foot/leg will deal with a hard/fast stab at the brake pedal, should the need arise. Hopefully the Physical Therapy will allow me to progress fast.

As for story telling, I come by that honestly, you wouldn't believe some of the whoppers that my Father tells, I sure don't! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I wander all over these boards, and amongst numerous nutcases (like me) are found true gems like you!

Perhaps we should talk more about the GCSport over the Vans boards. That place has been dead for a long time now.

I did drive a CPO 540i6speed, and boy was it a hoot! I was seriously considering a new 530i with Sport Package and manual transmission.

If you don't think bad of me, I'll tell you I ended up with a 2003 LS430.

Perhaps the next one......(I checked your profile, and I hear you about being married with kids!)
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Man oh man. What a surprise to hear what has been happening to you. We haven't heard on these posts what had happened to you since about the time you moved to Windham.Never in a million years would I have been able to imagine what was going on.Sorry to hear about the fibula break and especially the ankle and foot problem, the trigger finger, so to speak when clutching and braking.Welcome Back, missed your info, insight and otherwise informative posts.Get well so you can enjoy your black/black 530 I.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Glad you're back and okay....really missed reading your posts. Wishing you a speedy recovery and to be back in the saddle of your Bimmer again soon.
    VCheng,

Wow, talk about two different cars, from a 540i 6-Speed to an LS430. I would love to know how the score sheet went on that one. ;-)

Yeah, being married with children sort of puts a cramp in the extra-curricular activity list. Makes you realize just where your priorities are. ;-)

DaBimmer,

Thanks again my friend for the gentle nudge to post again. Thanks also for your thoughts, I am going to be a good little boy and do all my doctors and therapists tell me to do. Only time will tell how long before I am able to REALLY drive again. ;-)

CarNaught,

Thanks for the kind words, in the mean time, I will try and keep up with this board so that if a post or a thread triggers a memory of another story, I will be sure to relate it. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • hssahuhssahu Member Posts: 26
    Wish you a speedy recovery.
  • 4thlexus4thlexus Member Posts: 10
    Obviously you don't know me, but I used to read your posts quite often. May be if it wasn't for all the great comments by the "regulars" on this board, my wife and I would never have switched to the BMW 5 series (my wife drives a 2002 525it). I hope you will recover quickly so that you can once again enjoy your Bimmer!
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I echo the others' remarks, and wish you a speedy recovery (medically and automotively). Your insight here is missed.
    Wish you a speedy recovery,

Spyderred
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I wish you a quick recovery. I've avoided a bad fall on ice by sheer dumb luck.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    No responses yet - anyone out there drive a BMW with this color - and if so - do you like it?

Do many of you see this color often?
    I almost bought an '01 530 5 speed sport/premium kalahari beige. I personally think it is a nice color. Not very common which is a nice plus even in an area like So Cal where BMW's are everywhere. You see tons of silver, blacks, then blues and even whites. I thought the kalahari was very nice but was different enough to stand out. It is more of a goldish color. The one I was considering had the sand interior which looked nice as well. Not much of a contrast if that is what you're looking for. I negotiated with the dealer hard but he would NOT meet my price, we were about $1500 apart.
    The only thing I would caution you about the Sand interior, is that it will require a lot more care/maintenance as it is very light. Also if you are planning on getting it be careful as you step out of the car, the lower door panels get scuffed easily as you step out and kick them with your feet.

Spyderred,
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I have only seen ONE bimmer with this color and that was a 2002 530. It was fairly attractive and for sure you won't see tons of them everywhere you go. I didn't get a good look inside but it was a light colored interior. I prefera dark color on any bimmer, I just think they look richer when they are nice and clean. Just
    my 2 cents.
    You were correct, just turn the clown's nose.

Thanks!
    Just checked, Turning the clown nose works,
    Learned something useful today,
    thanks guys,

Spyderred,
  • sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    Hi all,

Picked up my 2003 530i 5sp just over a month ago after doing ED in late October. This forum has been an invaluable source of information both before and since then. The car is fantastic, but I do have a couple of minor issues, including one weird one:

1. Three times in the last month, I have found all the windows completely down and the sunroof open when I went into my garage before heading off to work. Each time it has happened over night or early in the morning, before 8 am or so. I'm 100% certain the windows were up and sunroof closed before I went to bed each night. Is there any I might have inadvertenly done this with the buttons on the car key? Any chance the RF signal from a neighbor's garage door opener could do this?

2. The footrest (dead pedal) squeaks a bit when I put my foot on it and again when I lift it off. I don't have to apply all that much pressure to make it happen. Anyone else have this problem? I assume the part is replaceable under warranty, but I also believe there is an M-style pedal that I might get as a replacement (I don't much like the hard plastic of the footrest and would prefer a rubber surface like in my previous car). Anyone know the part number for it?

Thanks!
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Sounds like the "open" button on the remote is being held down. The garaged car will pick up the remote signals even when the remote is being pressed in the house.