Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jeffryjeffry Member Posts: 36
    Shipo, Thanks for the great euro summary. One Q: I'm remembering from a local dealer (?) that when leasing a euro delivery car one must pay one pmt when ordering it & another pmt before picking it up, to cover cost while using it in Europe & shipping back. Thus 2 pmt before getting it here. Did I misunderstand something or was that a crafty tactic on the salesman's part to get me to buy out of his inventory?? What he said sounds like a rip off.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    According to my salesman: Not only do ED cars not come out of the dealership allocations, and not only do they count toward bonuses and commisions, they also count in the calculations for what the dealership gets allocated in future years.

It is certainly in a dealerships' best interest to sell as many ED cars as possible, even at a minimal profit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Jeffry,

Hmmm, I am fairly certain that my lease initiation date is exactly one month prior to the delivery date of my car in Munich. Essentially, that means that you do have to make two payments prior to delivery, however, starting with the second payment, the car is technically in your possession.

Reiz,

I forgot to include Insurance in my ED discussions. You do not need to insure you car until you take delivery of it here in the States. While in Europe and on the water, BMW covers the insurance for you.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My comment regarding "high performance, manual transmission cars" was relative.

Given my druthers, I would rather break in any new car myself. But given that the 540i 6-speed appeals to the more enthusiastic driver, there is a slightly higher probabilty of abuse or less careful break-in than with, say, an E300 diesel. That's why I would be particularly prudent about checking the ownership and service history of a 540i 6-speed. Fortunately, it's sheer cost rules out most of the Mustang / Camaro drag racing set.

I would also be wary of short term leases. When I bought my 540i in 1999, I fully intended to keep it a long time and took care of it accordingly. Someone who acquires a 540i 6-speed on a 3-year lease has little incentive to be as careful as I was. You know, the owners vs. renters issue in real estate.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    My 2 cents worth. I wanted to buy ED back in December, 2001, but did not.

First, it was right after 9/11 and my wife did not want me to fly unnecessarily (she has since mellowed but is still against it). Second, the delay between ordering and delivery in US (California) was close to 3 months and since I was leasing, over $1,600 was lost to lease payments without the car in my garage. Third, my car at the time needed expensive repairs to stay drivable and I could not wait the three months until delivery of the BMW.

These personal factors (other than the lost lease payment issue) were not considered by shipo and other posts on the subject.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    First, this topic should probably be in the ED message board. But my name is not Pat, so I did not say that.

Like was previously said, the situation will determine the cost. Most of my ED costs involved travel.

I did not haggle much. I contacted (emailed) 7 dealers in Texas and let them call me. I was already willing to pay the ED MSRP because it was lower than the regular MSRP. Only two dealers offered a discount. I coersed the closest dealer into a price cut. Filled out the paper work. Made final changes over the phone. Paid deposit over the phone. Did not dealer with the dealer until I came home. in real time, I probably spent a day.

I go home to England every other year. So the plane tickets would have been purchased. I have the expense of buying gifts for my father, stepmother, nieces and cousins. These expenses would have been made without a BMW.

Travel costs for me involved one plane ticket from Houston to MUC via LGW. Buy gifts at MUC. U-Bahn and S-Bahn to Delivery Center. Eat the food at the delivery center. Pickup the car. Drive from Munich to Spangdahlem (one gas stop). My brother paid for dinner. No hotel costs for three days. Paid for lunch for my nieces twice. Split the cost of meals out with my brother. Leave Spangdahlem and drive to Zeebrugge with my brother. I paid the ferry cost for my brother and I (about $112). Bought breakfast on the ferry. Got to Dover and drove to Ipswich. Toll tunnel cost and gas stop. Got to Ipswich, my family had plenty of food (again no cost). Stayed three days, bought gifts.

Had to pickup my wife at Gatwick, because she did not fly to MUC with me. Drove to my father's house. More food, no cost. From this point until I returned to the States, I bought three more meals. My gas expense was high, but it was no higher than the last time that I went home and had to rent two cars and travel with the rest of my clan.

If I had my own business or went to Germany just to pick up a car, I probably would not do it. Unless, I could get a business expense out of it.
    You are correct; I did neglect to take into account the three weeks of wait between dropping my car off in Munich and picking it up again in New Jersey. I also failed to mention that that delay for the west coast is more like eight to ten weeks. Then again, I did say that depending upon an individual’s perspective; ED may or may not be a good deal. For those of us on the east coast (with numerous dealerships willing to deal, shorter flight durations and shorter transit time durations), it is pretty much a no-brainer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Shipo,

It's very kind (which is to say consistent) of you to use "no-brainer" in such a way as to imply that it excludes all present company.

Some enjoy travel, whether it's in a performance sedan, an aircraft, or a ferry boat. Some do it often enough to have learned ways of dealing with the niggling details of (especially international) air travel. Some feel that it's routine and consider an ED BMW a bonus to an otherwise routine trip, or at the very least, an endeavour that doesn't inspire dread and loathing.

Others don't.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Hmmm, I don't know if I have ever needed my Nomex jump suit here on the 5-Series board before now. ;-)

FWIW, if an individual living on the East Coast is even remotely considering the ED Program, I think it is a "No Brainer". That said, if someone dosen't like to travel, they won't consider that option, and that too is a "No Brainer".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    talk about the cars and not ED?

If there is another forum about ED here at Edmunds, then that is the place for the discussion.

If there isn't, then shipo and others who advocate ED should start the thread. Then, in that place, they can praise ED as much and as often as they like.

Now back to cars?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, it's not like ED is about a subject OTHER than cars after all!

There is an ED thread in the 3-Series Owners Club. Seems like maybe that thread should be linked to all BMW Owners Club boards. I will make that suggestion and see if we can work that out.

It would make sense to have this conversation there - that way six months or a year from now when someone is looking for info on ED, they will have a logical place to look it up. It would be difficult at that point to find it here.

So I'll see what I can do about getting the 3-Series ED discussion linked across all BMW Owners boards. I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, anyone not interested in ED should probably exercise their Edmunds-given-right to just SKIP it! No comment is required, honest! :-)
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    More along lines of lease versus buy discussions? Or sales experiences? How one goes about buying the vehicle. But ED itself isn't really about the car, how it performs, etc.
    And it is perfectly okay to talk about the buying experience here, riez. That is a very large part of what Edmunds and the Town Hall is all about.

I'm not sure what exactly your concern is, but let's don't hijack this topic - email me if you want to pursue this.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While it does suck that you had to pay for a new clutch at 14,000 miles, $750 isn't the end of the world.

I'd definitely put a formal complaint letter in writing (not via phone or email) to document all the steps taken and how you are very dissatisfied...Blah, blah, blah...

Shipo & Riez: Definitely more interesting and longer lasting than last week's Tyson fight. You both make very strong (and convincing) arguments for your preferred way of buying BMWs either via ED or CPO. I say we call it a draw.

Shipo has shown us a beneficial example of living in New Jersey:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    although I am not an official owner of 5-series (my 530 is still stuck in production in Germany) I have to speak up. I read all the comments and as probably anyone else I also considered ED program. However, at the end, (Shipo sorry :-( I clearly see the benefits of going thru ED) I decided to go via my local dealer. As a matter of fact I already committed to buy the car from a dealership 30 miles away from my house but after reading stories about loaner cars I decided to cancel it and pursue the closest one. Since they were able to match the price it was an easy decision for me. I went with the dealer 10 miles away from my house... I see the financial benefits going over and picking your car up but it was hard for me to justify the trip ONLY to pick up the car. And foreign travel is not the same as it used to be some time ago. You have some certain risks associated now w/ traveling..As someone said, there is no right or wrong. It comes truly down to what your preference is.

Meanwhile, my production date is 03/07 and I can't wait until I get in my car...
  • sel3sel3 Member Posts: 33
    Just finished installing the XPEL clear bra system on my new 525. A very time consuming process. The hood and the bottom of the front bumper were the most difficult parts. I am impressed with the headlight and fog light covers, they are nearly invisible.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Meant no offense.

Hope you took none.

Given time and sufficient additional unpleasant experiences with my present vehicle, I'll follow your ED example. Having been to Germany three times over the past couple of years on business, it'll be a very pleasant add-on to otherwise-scheduled travel.

Hope you're enjoying New England. It's definitely my favourite part of North America.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    No worries. ;-)

I was actually hoping to reprise my ED trip from last year again this April as my wife and I will once again find ourselves in Paris. We are planning on replacing our venerable Caravan this spring and I was trying to talk her into a 525iT 5-Speed, PP, CWP, Xenon Audio, Heated Steering Wheel and Premium Audio, however, she has decided that a new Town & Country (with the full DVD A/V system) is the better fit for her needs as well as those of our children. :-(

Oh well, at least I will have something to drive if ever I break another leg (third time is a charm?). By the way, I have been out of my cast for just over a week now, and I am hoping to start driving my 530i by next weekend. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Last weekend, if I remember correctly, the 5-Series discussion was one of the busiest in the TownHall, and now, ZIP! To add insult to injury (to me at least), my posts regarding ED are probably one of the contributing factors to this lack of activity. For that, I apologize. If anyone took offence at my remarks, please understand that I always try to inject humor, good nature and camaraderie into what I write, and that my words were in no way meant to be taken as a personal affront.

First and foremost, I am a car nut, then, to put a finer point on it, I am very fond of the BMW marque, and the E39 5-Series in particular. That said, I am also a vocal advocate of the European Delivery program that BMW offers. The reasons for such advocacy are numerous, and a partial list, in no particular order, include the experience of driving these fine machines upon the roadways that they were designed to be driven on, as a cost savings measure should one find oneself over in Europe for what ever reason and need a rental car, or just as a way to save a few bucks on the car of one's dreams.

Given that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the ED experience, I have done as suggested, and found the "3-Series Owners: European Delivery" (Pat, if you have your "Ears On", would it make sense to change the title of that topic to "BMW Owners: European Delivery"?), and added it to my "Subscription List". In that way, we will have a place to discuss ED for only those folks who are considering taking advantage of this wonderful program.

Once again, please accept my most sincere apology if my words have offended.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ..you are one of the bright spots here, so please continue to post!

I am trying to convince my wife to take over my LS so that I can get a 540i6 or even an M5!

I love BMWs, ED or no ED.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I do not think any of your posts have been offensive, rather, they are informative (and entertaining).
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    Hi,
    I have been car shopping and I'm strongly considering an 03 E320 MB with the Sport Package. Yesterday I stopped at the local BMW dealer and looked at a preowned 2002 540i with sport pkg, 17", auto, step up stereo, etc. Car is like new @8k miles, a BMW executive car. The original MSRP was 59k and the used book price is 49 to 50k. Here is the deal, the color is "slate green" with sand interior. Not ugly, just weird but that's where the comprimise comes in, I can buy the car for probably as little as 44k! Nice car, bad color. A new 530i with the same options has an msrp of 49k. Any opinions on what you would recommend? Don't trash me on the MB!
    Thanks!
    VCheng & CarNaught,

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. ;-)

2ndMB,

First off, I think that the new W211 E-Class is a wonderful looking car, inside and out. That said, it seems that much if its new "High Tech" engineering is, at best, still a little "Half Baked". The first question you need to ask yourself is, "How important is the feel of the car to me?" If you answer, "Not too important", then the E320 is probably a very good choice.

On the other hand, if you want to feel connected with what the car is doing and the road that you are driving over, then of the two, the 5-Series is probably the better choice. Then the question becomes, "Used 540iA or new 530iA?" From my perspective, if you can actually get the Slate Green 540iA for 44K, I would go for it, color and all, that is a pretty darned good deal. If in the end, it turns out that you will need to pay closer to TMV, then you need to determine whether the power of the 540iA is worth more than the color of a 530iA built to your specs.

Of course if it was me, a 44K 540iA is nowhere near enough enticement to buy a car with an automatic transmission, so the decision would be easy. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the feedback. This car would be my daily driver and of course handling is very important to me. My weekend car is a Boxster S with a six speed so I like to row my own too, but not every day. In NY weekends mean 6 months a year. The power, delivery and handling on the 540i is awsome and that's what really has my attention on this one. I wouldn't spend the 59k to 60k for a new one based on economical reasons. I have to decide this week because I think the dealer takes the car to auction by the end of the week to dump it. Something to dream about tonight....
    I understand NY traffic, my wife and I just moved from the NYC area last summer up here to New Hampshire. Through the 10 years in NY, the 13 previous years in Chicago, and a couple of years before that in Los Angeles, I drove a stick shift. Now I am laid up with a broken leg, my wife is driving my 530i and I am stuck with the family MiniVan. :-( I would Gladly trade driving a slushbox Caravan up here with this leg for the opportunity of driving a stick in NY traffic with a good leg any day. Hopefully, I can start driving my car again in a week or so. ;-)

Regarding your daily driver, go for the 540i, great machine. One thing to keep in mind, I had the tan interior in my previous BMW (1999 328i), and it is something of a pain to keep clean in the winter, that and scuff marks on door sills and seat edges are difficult to remove.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks and get better soon! I'll let you know my decision
    My neighbor just traded his E55 for a 2003 E500, but had also considered a 540iA sport. The price that the BMW dealer went down to here (Atlanta area) for a perfect condition 11k miles car with navigation and all the goodies was $44.9k. If the one you are looking at does not have navigation, I think $44k is a realistic price.

My friend went for the E500 for two reasons - First, the Mercedes dealer gave him a much better deal on trading the E55 (they had a prospective buyer lined up in advance). Second, he is 6"4", his wife is 5'8" and they have three teenage kids all pushing 6'. The 5-series would have been a tight fit. I assume you have checked this out to your satisfaction.

Good luck on your decision. If you decide to go with a new 530iA, check up above for the latest on the never ending ED vs. US debate. As a Mercedes and Porsche owner (I've had both as well), you could lend some legitimacy to the claim that the BMW program / discounts are by far and away, the best in the industry.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion in BMW Owners has been edited and to include all future BMW owners (3-series, 5-series, etc.) seeking purchase through European delivery.

BMW Owners: European Delivery
    Thanks Karen!

Shipo and others - may I suggest you either copy or link your recent ED posts into the discussion Karen links in her message?

That way, as I mentioned earlier, somone looking for information on ED sometime in the future will be able to find all that great information in one place.

:-)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Go for the 540ia if you can live with the colors. I agree with what shipo said about the BMW beige interior; it is hard to keep clean, especially the carpets. I'd consider the clear plastic mats. Although I'm happy with the E-class MB, the 540i without meaning to use the cliche, is the ultimate driver with the SP.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I have the sand interior and purchased brown floor mats from Griot's. The contrast is very nice to my eye.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I am looking at a CPO BMW from a BMW dealer. It is 2001 530i. I just received the Vehicle summary sheet, and it lists four defect codes at the bottom and repair dates. Four defects seems like a lot. Then, again, they have certified the car. Does anyone know how to read the defect codes? Any thoughts on this car with four defect repairs so soon?
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    and have the codes explained. They could be factory upgrades/fixes. I would be concerned about the "defects" that aren't picked up by the OBC or noted by the dealer.

Good luck...JL
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Any comments on black exterior on beige interior for a 530i? How do you think it looks? Pro's or cons? Any comments welcome. Thanks
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Get black sapphire metallic. It is a little easier to keep in shape than jet black. Not as good looking though. Kind of grayish.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have a 3 series - Jet Black with Sand interior. Obviously, both colors are more difficult to maintain and keep looking clean. My BMW is more of a fun weekend car so I can keep it clean by not driving in snow and rain. The black exterior is somewhat frustrating. Wash it and only minutes later you can see the dust accumulate. But when clean, it's sharp! I get lots of compliments on the car. Also, black floor mats with this combo look fantastic with the other black interior colored pieces.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Slate green or no, that sounds like a wonderful deal on a '02 540iA. Actually, it sounds a bit on the low side (you say you think you can get it for $44K -- what are they asking?). The question that comes to mind is whether the car has been CPO'd, i.e. covered by the BMW Certified Pre-owned Program. CPO cars are not cheap, because the cost of an extended warranty is built in. The fact that the car is priced well below book, and may be taken to auction, would make me suspicious. If the car is not CPO'd, why?
  • rick530rick530 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '01 530iA, PP. Does anyone know if the 18" M Parallel Spoke (styling 37M) found on older 740's will fit my car? I know the lug pattern is the same, but how about the wheel clearance for the brakes, etc?
    Are you ordering new wheels, or have you found a set from a 740i?

I'm thinking that it is unlikely that the Type 37 wheels from the older 740i will fit on your 530i. As it turns out, BMW does make that wheel style to fit the E39 Sedan (not the wagon), however, they are a different part number than the ones that fit the 7-Series.

Type 37 E39 5-Series Front: 36 11 2 229 635
    Type 37 E38 7-Series Front: 36 11 2 227 631
    Type 37 E39 5-Series Rear: 36 11 2 229 640
    Type 37 E38 7-Series Rear: 36 11 2 229 633

So, if you found a set from a 7-Series, you are probably out of luck.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Yes - I know there is a "What did you pay" category - but it seems more of you are in this discussion so here goes:

Times are tough, new cars are not selling like dealers would like them, it is snowing in the midwest - has anyone purchased a NEW 530 at less than 2K over invoice?

Yes, I know about ED!!!

Thanks
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    I paid 3% over invoice plus $180 in bs dealer prep fees, total about $1600 over invoice and took delivery in spartanburg.This is before state tax and , at the time, luxury tax on portion over 40K. The lux tax expired at end of 2002.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I live in the city and commute back and forth to the Bronx (Cross Bronx to West Side Highway...you know the traffic on these roads) everyday with a 5-speed manual, it's not as bad as you think. I love it:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    $1600 over invoice sounds fair - Did the dealer pay for your Spartanburg gig - airfare and hotel? Anyone have experience with this or is that asking to much?

Is there a luxury tax on a new 530?
    The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2003. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The dealer claims it's CPO but according to BMW.COM, the CPO is on 2001's and older. I think the reason it's going to auction is the color combo. Slate green is very light like a pale forest green or powder green. I stopped by the dealer tonight on the way home when they were closing and it looked ok at night. I asked the mgr if they would accept 42k and he declined indicating he had to up for the cpo for $1200. I think I may offer $43.5 tomorrow and see if they jump. It may be my last opportunity to own a like new 540i at such a bargain price.(relatively speaking)Wish me luck!
    Bon Chance!
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Our first color choice on our '01 530i was slate green w/gray, before we went with topaz blue. Slate is a handsome color on an SP car with blackout trim. Don't know about the slate/sand combo, but at the price, who cares? Esp. if it is CPO. Good luck! Please post the results.
    Either your date (i.e. 12/31/03) is wrong or your verb tense (i.e. expired) is. I thought the luxury tax expired at the end of 2002.
    I must have fat fingered that one, ;-)

When I wrote, "The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2003. ;-)"

What I really meant to write is:

The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2002. ;-)

Nice catch.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It seems that I have been pushing a little too hard to finish my current project prior to heading off to Taipei again next Monday. Not only has it been pointed out that I "Fat Finger" the date for the expiration of the "Luxury Tax", I have now been politely informed that failed to properly spell "Bonne". So without further ado:

2ndMB,

Bonne Chance!

Thanks to both Edward and Daan.

Best Regards,
    Shipo