Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Other manufacturers have encountered similar problems with gasoline formulations.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    Just wanted to update everyone...

Wife picked up the MPV about 1 hour ago - no front end sound at all.
    Looks like it's been fixed.

Thanks to all esp. caniel for helping!!

Mike
  • sidiggiesidiggie Member Posts: 19
    I bought the Mazda at Tony March Mazda in Hartford and went there for service.
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I have had a 2000 MPV ES since January 2000 and still feel it has been a great van. However, I am 'falling out of love with it' and haven't been here at Edmunds as much. The problem with mine is the jerky transmission and I had to post since reading several similar messages. The 'adequate' engine power irritates me sometimes too but this transmission thing seems to be getting worse. I guess I need to schedule a trip in since we are coming up on 3 years ownership. Passengers have commented on it while riding with me too. This past summer was the worst while running the A/C. Oh, we have 24,000 miles on it.
  • unclejunior1unclejunior1 Member Posts: 6
    Hey all,

I have a red 2000 MPV ES and am experiencing paint issues. The paint seems to be fading and is very rough to the touch--not smooth as you would expect a clear coated finish to feel. I found the paint was easily scratched when I washed the van last where I had buffed to get bugs off. We have also found small chips in the front (up to this point I had decided that this was due to wear and tear but now believe faulty paint is to blame.) I haven't found any other postings about bad paint and I'm going to the dealer since I'm still under warranty but wanted to ask the group if anyone has had a problem like this with their MPV's. The van currently has 32,000 problem free miles and we have been happy with it so far. Any help from anyone who has dealt with Mazda paint warranty issues would appreciated.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Sorry, I have not seen anything on bad paint. Do you keep your MPV outdoors? Are you near an industrial area?

Mark.
    We do keep our van outside but it's under a carport. We live in Florida and the sun is strong here but the texture of the finish is the one thing that bothers me. About six months ago my wife's mum backed into the van and caused some slight cosmetic damage that we had repaired. The repair shop did a good job and if I run my hand over the repaired area it feels very smooth to the touch. The rest of the van has the rough feeling texture I described in my previous posting. To my knowledge we don't live near any industrial areas that could be affecting the finish.

M
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Have you thought about going over your Van with a clay bar? Check out Alex's web site. It has a nice forum on clay bars. Paul
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    This problem doesn't appear unique to the Mazda MPV

saved9494 "Camry Bad Smell" Oct 28, 2002 1:37pm

TB
    tboner,

Your absolutely correct. The problem has never been unique to the MPV, it's just that MPV owners are more in tune with their vans IMO. It's the high sulphur in the gas we have in this country. Along with the "dirty diesel" we have. Maybe one could fault Mazda and others for tuning their cars for European fuel. We should be ashamed of the lousy fuel we have over here.

Anyway, that's MO. Our MPV runs like a Swiss watch. As does our 00 Protege'

Mark.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Anyone having problems opening their sliding door? The sliding door behind the driver's seat won't open. Brought it in today for that and the humming noise in the front. They told me they are out of stock on the valve for the noise after telling us to bring it in today for the noise!
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I have a red '01 and have not experienced any fading or rough finish so far. I live in Houston - exposed to refinery grit, rain, pine tree "glue", rain, and more rain. I keep "Red" in the garage at night and manage to wash it at least once a month and wax it at the same time. It does stay outside during the day at work, etc. I also avoid gas station car washes.
    Is there any chance during your repair work that they might have done an overspray as far as the rough texture is concerned?
  • mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    I just found my new 02 MPV (5k miles) is leaking oil from last week! I will go to the dealer soon for its 1st service(oil change etc), but I couldn't understand why a new car should have oil leakage. Could be the cold weather? We got snow weather last week.

Another problem is the gear shifter. A few times when I put it to D, and I clearly saw the lightened box around D, but the car still had zero torque just like in N gear. I had to shift it back to N then to D again to make it go.

My 3.5 years old daughter complained a few times for the smell when I was driving. I mean we did smell some sulfur smell inside the car sometimes.
    Of course more often and smells worse is the moment when I pull it over in the garage.

Otherthan those, we are quite happy with the MPV.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I think I read here that there is a transmission programming fix for the jerky tranny that has affected a limited # of MPV's. I'm sure there is someone here that could point you in the right direction for a posting on the issue. Good luck.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was talking to one of our Mazda Techs today about the smelly MPV's....He was telling me that we did have one recently and after talking to the consumer...The problem was possibly caused by the consumer.

He was putting super unleaded gas and an additive that "cleans" the injectors. The tech told him to stop using the high octane gas, use regular unleaded (87 octane) and stop using the additive. Two full tanks of gas later the smell vanished.

I'm not saying this is the cause or fix to everyone problems but something to think about.

Rich
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That advice would put Chevron (w/ Tecron) on the watch list....

Steve, Host
    Been using Chevron for three years - and Shell - whoever was cheaper on a given day and never had the smell. Different blending in Texas?
    I think it all comes out of the same tanks and the additives are dumped in depending on where the tanker is headed! It's a weird problem that can be fixed (sometimes) by changing brands.

I remember when VW Bug's were big in the States in the early 70's. They all had squealing brakes. As the story went, the German engineers couldn't understand the problem, and the problem was due to different weather here than in Germany, where all the testing was done. Once they changed the pads to work in NA's climate, all was fine.

Maybe it's time to ship a dozen Mazda engineers to the States for a month and have them drive from gas station to gas station.

Steve, Host
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    where is the leak you're experiencing in your van?

Bob, I don't know if it matters, but isn't Chevron and Shell (and Texaco) all the same company now?
    I just put a new carton board on the garage floor. The oil spots are under the hood but at the driver's side. I will check it in more detail after I get back home.
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    That's the only gas we put in our MPV and we have never smelled sulfur. Our MPV has 10k on it. We live in the PDX area.

--kcz
    No, the repair work was a small patch on the rear right quarter panel. The rough texture seems to be the entire van and is more prominent in the front.
    Shell & Texaco are holding hands but I don't know if Chevron is in that group. If they are, they have about five miles of road around here sewed up....
    Chevron bought Texaco 2 years ago. Texaco had a relationship with Shell - I think Chevron/Texaco had to get rid of some of the Shell assets. I suppose if I really cared I could read links like this :-)

Steve, Host

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    It was a trick question... ;-)
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Is the red paint on MPVs actually clearcoated? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I do know that certain manufacturers (Saab & Lexus come to mind) do not clearcoat certain colors. Unclejunior, when you wax the van, do you get red coloring on the application pad? Florida is brutal on red paint - I know from living here as well and owning red vehicles. I hope the dealer will work with you on this one. If not, I definitely would clay bar the van as previously mentioned, then apply a superior polymer/acrylic sealant like Klasse or Zaino. These are very high in UV protection and last for 6 months or better.
    Is this another trick question? ;-) Seems like black is most often not clear coated, not sure about red or any other color.

Steve, Host
    Might be clearcoated - I dont recall seeing red on my applicator rag. If it EVER quits raining here I'll wash/wax and pay more attention.
    I'll look for the original sticker and see if there's any mention of clearcoat.

Steve: I read the Texaco/Shell/Chevron link. Now explain that to me :))
    All I know is that stuff comes out of the ground in Javadoc's backyard (and yours too, iirc?), gets cracked by BIG OIL and it's all the same with the exception of some detergent and "turpentine" tossed into the mix.

And apparently some additives smell better than others!

Steve, Host
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    .. at least not today ;-) I had a red Saab once that wasn't clearcoated and my white Accord wasn't either - both late model cars after clearcoating became the "thing".
    We're a lot of help, eh Unclejunior1? I'm wondering if you got a bit over-zealous with your buff job?

Steve, Host
    Don't worry about the rain. We had are first good snow the other day. I spent 30 minutes following salt trucks on highways. The next day my entire MPV was white. I was praying for rain at that point.

Mark. ; )
  • scb2scb2 Member Posts: 5
    At about 36k I went in to get my 2000 MPV checked because the gas pedal was sticking, They replaced the throttle valve at the intake and that was it. Once again same problem started up at less than 50K and I have not taken the time to get it replaced under warranty, I now have 78K miles and have to do something. I talked to the dealer and they said I could take it off and clean it but it was not under warranty. Anyone else had problems with this part? Do you think cleaning it would help? I think it is worn and would be a waste of time to pull off at home. Does anyone think the dealer should replace this at their expense?
    Does anyone think the dealer should replace this at their expense?

Was it the dealer's fault that you neglected to take it in prior to warranty expiration?
    My 2002 MPV gas tank lid has stoped automatically opening. I have to prop something under the lever and go out and push the lid open. What makes it pop open? It looks like a couple rubber [non-permissible content removed] are gone.

Steve
    There is a small spring (flat leaf, not a coil) that pushes the filler door out. The rubber stoppers are only, well, stoppers. I'd have your dealer look at it (before it hits 50k miles).
    You have a point about neglect. My thought is this. If I have a problem under warranty at 5K and the same problem every 5K until the warranty runs out, wasn't that a defective part?
    And has anyone else had this throttle part go bad? Can I expect to replace this part every 36K miles from now on?
    Thanks about the fuel lid I will give it another check for the leaf. I have looked at it and didn't see any thing like it except the bent metal with a hole that the latch catches. I should see somewhere where the spring wore off the paint or something.
    Steve :-)
    sure it was a defective part and they have set a period of 3yrs/50k miles to address those concerns. If it is a common problem, most manufacturers will put out service bulletins to address these issues or provide suggestions about how to avoid the failure.

BTW, the spring in on the body, not on the filler door and mine is not painted body color. I can get a pic/drawing if you need.
    I will take a look at the spring when my wife gets home with it today.
    Thanks Steve
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    There is a service bulletin on the sticking fuel door on the MPV. You can see the details (along with some images showing the location of the spring). However my impresssion was that the spring was added later to resolve the concern. It may not be on your van through... Anyway, just check it out here
    He was asking about it on his '02 MPV which the bulletin does not apply to. The images are good though.
    Waxed the hood the other day on "01 Red" using the same applicator - no red film. Probably could have saved the effort if I looked at the applicator first. (always thinking, always thinking..) Duh!
    Can't find the window sticker - assuming it's clearcoated - or one stuff hard paint job.
    1) The dealer did my 1st oil change with 5W-30.
    2) They did find the oil pan gasket was broken and replaced it under warrenty.
    3) They couldn't reproduce the gear shifter ambiguity, but they re-programmed the transmission with 05-011/02(a upgrade version? what's benefit?).
    4) They couldn't reproduce the sulfer smell (sure).
    5) The dents repare estimated cost $780. I didn't have that done. Remember? the dents were caused by my colleage who put his hands on my car trying to trigger alarm system, never think it would be a $780 damage to my 1st day new MPV.

You couldn't feel better when you got back in the MPV after returning the rental car.

Mike
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Spare us the effort of scrolling back...how did this turn out with your "colleague." Are you pressing the issue, is he stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing on his own, did his eyes bulge out of his head when you told him the estimate?

I'd have gone "medieval" on him, myself (my permanent school record probably has a notation that reads: "Poor impulse control").
    Hey...

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will get some breathing room in my schedule to go to the dealer next week to start the process of getting this taken care of. I'll keep the group informed and depending what they say I will probably go the clay bar route as well.

On a side note has anyone gone to K&N filters on thier vans. I was wondering if it would give a few more kicks to the horsepower (I have the 2.5l) and it also claims better gas milage. Does anyone have any real world experience with it? I just thought I wold ask before plunking down the $40 or so to try it.
  • irmdupuisirmdupuis Member Posts: 2
    My 2 months old 2002 MPV van stinks - literally. The sulfur smell at times is unbelievably pungent. The first dealer response "we don't smell anything and Mazda hasn't had any complaints". The most recent dealer response - "Yes, Mazda know there's a problem but at this time don't know what to do or won't do anything about it". Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what has been Mazda's response or what can be done to resolve this smelly issue?
    It's a pretty well known problem. The most recent thread (of many) starts here:

gampa Oct 29, 2002 6:04pm

Check the advanced search for more.

Steve, Host
  • husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Hello all.

First, can someone give me the web address of the MPV club site, my CPU crashed and I lost it (I am a member).

Second, has anyone had this problem. Frequently, when I hit the brake pedal, I hear a whistling/whining noise. It almost sounds like an electronic alarm (like door ajar), but fainter. It can go off when the van is sitting still, so I do not think it is really a brake-hardware issue.

We took it to the dealership and they spent all morning checking all brake components and cannot identify the cause. They stated that they documented it and suggested that we just keep an ear to it and bring it back if it gets any worse, maybe if it is louder, they could find it. The swore nothing was wrong with any brake components.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks, Jay
    It's very odd but by your description it sounds like a leaking brake booster. If the noise is there, what can't the dealer figure it out? I'd try a different dealer.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    What model/year is your MPV?
    Just curious if this is of a particular vintage. I haven't heard of THIS problem before.
    Smells, shifter problems, and now this.
    Still not too bad a record for a vehicle compared to others.
This discussion has been closed.