Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Here it is. Look at the window switches. Hard to tell if you sit much lower in the car. Also seems very 7ish to me, except for the manual...What do you think?

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=3200
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I like it. I'll bet when you put the pedal to the metal, it goes like a bat out of heck. :)
  • irish44irish44 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks All: SRfast The 530 is a 2002 w/Sport Package and Steptronic engine gears. I still enjoy my Lexus 300 but do like like the looks and handling of the 530.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    is an excellent car. It is considered one of the best handling, if not the best handling sport sedan available. The overall quality of the vehicle is outstanding. I cannot not compare the 530i vs. Lexus 300, but I can tell you that you if you enjoy the Lexus, you will LOVE the BMW. I've owned two E36-325i's and a 2003 530i in the past 11 years and will not consider buying any other car if I want a "sport sedan." BTW, I purchased my car in 11/2002 and didn't buy it based on magazine reviews, but Consumer Reports 2003 Auto issue rates the BMW 530i the "best car ever tested" and "achieved the highest score for any car ever tested."

Details and pics of my 530i can been seen at: http://www.cardomain.com/id/nyc530i

Good luck...JL
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    You can check used car values here on Edmunds and on KBB.com to gauge which might be a better "deal," but in general I agree with kdshapiro: these are two different cars, and you should decide what's more important to you. I test drove the 330 extensively (four or five different copies) before deciding on the 530i. The 3 felt nimbler and lighter on its feet. But the 5 felt nearly as athletic, yet markedly more refined, solid, polished, and roomy (even if the cubic footage is rather close between the two). Test drive both and see which you prefer, then you can worry about finding a good deal.
    Ugh...it's what I feared: A simplified but thematically consistent sibling to the 7's interior styling. It loses the classic BMW cockpit feel, and iDrive will still be accessible only by a single overburdened knob (all while manually shifting; should be real fun).

In the end, though, BMW's are about driving. It's hard to imagine much improvement over the current 5-series, but any improvements in that respect are what I'm looking forward most in the E60.
  • larryn3larryn3 Member Posts: 1
    This post is not to instill a war between sp and non-sp. Clearly the sp group wins hands down on this and other message boards. However, there is a vocal minority and frequent questions on advantages of standard suspension, so I thought I would summarize those comments from reviewers and bmw owners for those seeking words on the non sports package BMW 530.

1) consumer reports: Highest scoring car in CR history; Car tested was non sport version.

2) New car test drive.com and placed in other reviews: Even when equipped with the sport package, each model provides acceptable ride quality. However, for most people, the standard suspension (which is hardly standard) is probably the better choice.

Readers on message boards:
    3) like most people, drove the 530 (w and w/o sports package). With all the potholes in and around Chicago, car drives much better w/o the sports package. Very glad that I didn't get the sports package (can't believe I'm saying this).

4) The roads in Mississippi are miserable, with gaping potholes. Also, many freeways are concrete, and the blocks settle irregularly, so each expansion gap is like a step that you ram into. I passed on the sport option, but my 530i still handles beautifully. I would possibly have ordered it if I lived in a place with good roads, but not here.

5) Same in Houston – roads are a disaster and the dealers must be making a fortune on suspension repairs, replacement wheels and new glass!

6) Got 525i, Premium, Step, non Sport...LOVE it! The 5% of the time I might want the Sport and manual tranny is more than made up for the other 95% of the time I am driving at 90mph and it feels smooth as silk. I think that you would love the 530ia without the Sport package. For normal everyday commuting,I really don't think you would be disappointed at all.

7) Standard suspension handles fine, goes aroundcorners as if its on rails, No hassle in changing tires in winter. BMW standard suspension is better than most cars sport versions. you made right decision,

8) Quite happy w/o. Not practical for me either.

9) I don’t have it and I don’t miss it. Unless you're into taking tight turns at high speed, the standard suspension is just fine- as a matter of fact, everyone who rides in my car comments on the smooth ride. If I want to have fun in the twisties, I'm fortunate to have my wife's Z3 that will out-corner ANY E39. :-) The only "downside" for me was that my non-sport came with gobs of chrome trim. As the post above indicates, there's an easy fix for that.

10) I am so happy without SP.

11) In retrospect, I'm extremely pleased with the standard suspension. I drive hairpin turned canyons to work, and the car is very stable, true and solid. As a comparison, I've driven the same route in a Turbo Eclipse, 325i, Honda 750, Harley Sportster Motorcycles, Mercedes 250C, and Lincoln Town Car. So I think I have a good basis of comparison. Nobody, but nobody can stay on my six in the Turbo Eclipse though, even had an E39 SPP pull over to keep me from riding too close ;-)

12) Test drive the Sport on some rough pavement before you make your decision. I drive a 99 wagon with sport package. Personally, if I had it to do over, I would have gone with the non-sport

13) After driving both, I decided that for daily commute Non-sport was best, the suspension is already tight. I am very happy with 530I

14) have tried both before deciding on a 530, as the engine is much nicer in terms of torque and power, and you get the same mileage. While I happen to have the sport package, I could have easily done without, as the 5 structurally handles well. IMHO, the 2.5 is a downgraded 3.0 for marketing reasons. Go for the 3.0, since you';ll enjoy routinely every day, whereas the SP only improves a feature that's already above average.

15) I have owned many sports cars as well as normal cars of both domestic and foreign make over the many years I have been driving (I am now 75, but still an avid car fan and drive "quickly") I have a 1997 540iA; most of the cars I have owned had manual transmisisions, but I have had to settle for automatics the last few years due to some medical siituations with my left foot/leg. Yes the sports package will handle "better" , but the standard suspension E39 cars still out handle the majority of all other cars out there. I am not the least bit phased when entering an on ramp at speeds that scare the crap out of friends riding with me that have not done so before in an E39 BMW. You can still throw it around with aplomb!

16) I have a '01 540/6. The other week it was in the shop (yet another temp gage and fromt wheel liner panel replacement) and I was loaned an 02 525a (auto) by the dealer. While I disliked the lack of power from a stop, and don't care much for automatics - including BMW's due to sluggish responses on kick-down etcetera - I must say that the non-sport ride had many advantages in LA. where many streets in the downtown area have bumps, holes and small dips which can cause the sports package to crack the front airdam and bottom out the front suspension at speeds the car encourages. I drove the 525 for about 50 miles and very much enjoyed the less jarring ride and enjoyed not having to worry about every bump in the road. Of course, I am getting older too.
    That is not to say that the sports package isn't terrific on smooth curvy roads which are plentiful in the surrounding area. Its a tradeoff. Also, in my opinion, while the sports seat are very nice for aggressive turns because they hold you in place, for my 5'10" average weight frame they are not the most comfortable. (My wife's 95 940 Volvo wagon, while a dog - had unbelievably comfortable seats.)

17) The 530i is the perfect car and there is no reason for you to spend the additional $$ for SP. I purchased the SP because there is value in it for me. I have the factory SP in my 1993 325i and I own a race car, so it would be strange not to have SP.

18) First of all, you said it in your post: Everyone has different tastes and preferences. For instance I have a black on tan (because it is obviously the BEST clor combo.), 1997 528ia non-sport pkg. Do I sometimes dream about the 17' cross-spokes? Yes. Do I take a corner a 80mph and feel body roll? Sure. Do I think the sport pkg would handle better in "agressive driving" situations? Thats what sport pkg is for, so yes. Do I wish I had sport package (with those phat looking 17' mentioned above)? NO.
    I specifically wanted the more "plush" feel of the standard suspension and any additions made by the premium package (I think just 15' wheels though). When I bought the car I knew exactly what I wanted and I knew how the car was going to be driven... like a luxury sports sedan. NOT a sports car. For me I am happy with the non-sport pkg and I think the car handles great without. Even friends of mine who were passengers in the vehicle comment on "how great this car handles" or "I couldn't take that turn
  • ksqrdksqrd Member Posts: 21
    The '01 530i sport is a phenomenal car, as I can attest after purchasing one used just over 6 wks ago. However, the price you quote seems a bit high.

I purchased an '01 530i Sport/Premium/Xenons/CD for $36.5K. The differences are that my car is a CPO car, and I had them include an installed OEM CD changer at that price. The car only had 13.5K miles, and was in showroom condition. With that extra mileage, I would bargain for a lower price, especially if the car isn't a CPO car (est 1-2K for the CPO value).

RE:larryn3's excerpted SP reviews: I'm in Houston, and have had no problems with potholes or rough roads with my SP in contrast to the poster you quoted. I think it's a philosophical issue--my dad loves his LS430 and bought it over a 530 because he likes to feel insulated from the road. Anyone who feels similarly should probably opt out of the SP if choosing the E39.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    There are more spy shots of the production model in South Africa being used for filming a new commercial in the BMW Car magazine. It is a UK publication and I believe it was the March issue. You can probably find it at the Borders or the Barnes and Noble.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    larryn3... To each his/her own. I couldn't imagine owning a BMW without the Sport Package. Gives you so much for so little expense. I consider it the single most important option.

Isn't the point of a BMW to bring out the most in your driving experience? Thankfully the roads around where I live and drive are in pretty good shape. If I lived somewhere they weren't or I was stuck in a ton of stop-and-go traffic, I'd probably have a 2nd car for those days, a less expensive non-BMW car to get me from point A to point B.
  • sirtigersirtiger Member Posts: 38
    Being a first time owner of a sporty car (my 4 other cars are lexus/toyotas), do you all rev your engines harder on your 5ers? Does hard revving cause a shorter life? BMW are known for their sharp handling but I am deciding how it should be driven. When I mean hard, I don't mean driving recklessly or going into the red line. That reminds me of driving my friends S2000 in which it went well over 7/8K RPMs screaming which was kinda scary.

I had drove my other cars gently over the yrs which has help last my cars in the super high mileage club.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Follow the manufacturers break-in period, maintenance period and have fun. In my opinion, these engines can take frequent/constant redline just make sure you follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Of course your gas mileage will be in the tank should you drive your car like that constantly.
    The German public broadcaster, DW, reporting today that BMW signed a $483 million joint venture agreement with a Chinese company to build 3 & 5 Series cars in China. Not a lot of details, but the article is at Deutsche Welle's web site.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    "5) Same in Houston – roads are a disaster and the dealers must be making a fortune on suspension repairs, replacement wheels and new glass!"

I almost bust out laughing when I read this but it is not really funny. In Houston, it makes not difference buying SP or Non-SP. I have a non-SP 3er and I am still getting kicked to sleep. I have had my alignment done once and I have to repair my windshield. Houston is not car friendly. I have never had windshield damage until I moved to Houston. In the ideal situation, I would take SP over Non-SP anyday.
  • jtuotijtuoti Member Posts: 12
    There's a car at my local BMW dealership that I'm seriously considering and I would like your guys opinions on next steps. Here's the situation:

2001 530i with 34,000 miles. In service date is June 2001 and it's a CPO car. The options are steptronic, cold weather package (no use here in Phx.), CD player (no changer), SP and Convenience package. It's about $30,000. The color is white with the sand colored interior. It's in great condition cosmetically and drives just fine - the only thing is it's got a smell in it. They've shampooed the carpets twice and tried to wash the leather seats but the smell is still there.

I'm a dad of 3 little ones and I think it smells like spoiled milk or formula that's underneath the back seat. I'm thinking some enzyme cleaner will get rid of the smell but I'm not 100% sure.

They pulled a repair history and there are 4 non-maintenance codes:

0064360100, 631218200, 6134003700, and 5116331300

Anyone have any clues what the codes stand for? What do you think about the smell and the price? How about ideas for moving forward? I'm thinking telling them out the door for $30k - including TT&L. Appreciate your input. Thanks!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yesterday I needed to take a road trip from southern New Hampshire to Mineola, NY to visit a client. Keeping in mind that there have been several queries around here recently about mileage, I decided to track mine, and to that end, I filled up with gas, reset the trip computer and hit the road. The trip was a run that was primarily done at about 75 mph with a few excursions up to about 100 (I still have my winter tires on, which have a limit of 100), some heavy construction on I-95 in Connecticut, and then heavy rush hour traffic from the Throgs Neck bridge to Mineola and then back to Scarsdale, NY, where I spent the night. I then visited another client this morning in Elmsford, NY, did a lunch trip, and then hit the road at just the right time to ensure that I would hit the Boston evening rush hour traffic. With all of that in mind, it is fair to say that I drove somewhere between 80 and 100 miles in heavy stop and go traffic, which is about 20% of the trip.

Miles: 502.1
    Fuel: 17.296
    Calc MPG: 29.03

OBC Calculations:
    MPG: 29.4
    Avg Speed: 56.4

OBC Calculations after the first 190 miles (Before I hit the I-95 Traffic):
    MPG 30.5
    Avg Speed: 72.1

Some folks have noted that, over time, their cumulative MPG calculations come out as much as 2 MPG lower than the OBC. In this case, I filled up at two gas stations, both of which appeared to be level, and the 0.37 MPG difference is well within the variance of how much two different pumps would fill the tank, so I am inclined to believe my OBC.

As a point of reference (for those of you who do not know), I have a 2002 530i 5-Speed with the Sport Package, which (as previously noted) is currently running on winter tires (Michelin Arctic-Alpin). FWIW, I will probably find the time to remount my OEM rubber (Michelin Pilot-Primacy) back onto the car this weekend.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It appears you are recovering nicely from your injury. I picked up my 2003 530i/5spd/SP, etc. 12/13/2002 and because of this year's winter, I have not driven it as much as I expected/wanted. As of 03/26/2003, I have 1,480 miles on the odometer and that's having putting on 500 miles from 3/21-27. I am beyond the days of logging my mileage and fuel consumption, but I am always monitoring the fuel efficiency of my BMWs via the OBC.

Per the OBC, I averaged approx. 22.3 mpg the first 900 miles because I was doing mostly short highway trips/city driving. I was also breaking the car in and trying to stay within the limits set by BMW. Over the last 500 miles, the mpg has gone up to 28.0 doing mostly highway miles. The highest mpg noted was 29.4. The 530i is my "summer car" used for weekend getaways and transportation to various northeast SCCA events which means lots of highway miles. I am hoping the mpg will be 29-30, but will be satisfied if I can maintain 26+ mpg. Time will tell.

Your past trip itiniarty was interesting. I am a NYC resident and have visited friends in all the locations you mentioned. BTW, what line of work are you in ?

Regards...JL
    Wow... that is some good numbers you are putting up there... Its nice to know that this car can get some decent fuel economy

As with srfast, mine has been tucked in a garage a lot since I purchased it in Jan. I have been getting around 19/20mpg in short distance trips in the nyc area. I had only one 500 miles trip so far..... I was getting a little nervous that BMWs have poor fuel economy since my '00 LS400 gets around 21-22 MPG as well which has a V8.
    Oddly enough, I am just a little disappointed with the mileage that my 530i is getting. You see, my 1999 328i had an EPA rating of 19 City and 27 Highway, while my 530i has an EPA rating of 21 City and 30 Highway. Given that my 328i would get between 34 and 35 (on the highway portion, with no traffic) on the same NYC to New Hampshire road trip, I was sort of expecting my 530i to at least equal that mark in spite of the fact that it weighs 300 pounds more and has an extra 32 horsepower. Forgetting my 328i experience, I must admit that the 530i gets pretty good mileage for a car if this type and capability. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    Shipo, those are really good numbers and I can't wait to take my car on its first trip with me. I have a CPO MY98 528i 5sp moonroof and leather that had 80,000 highway miles on it when I bought it and I just filled up today so I have my two cents to add. I now have 88500 miles on it and I have had an oil change in that time period. I have been getting 23-24 mpg since I bought the car last last October. This past week, I have started testing out using 5th gear a little more. My commute is all streets but it is still suburb so there are a few stretchs were I cruise at about 55 mph or about 6-7 miles on my 21 mile commute to work. This past week, my OBC registered 26.1 mpg while after I filled up I calculated 25.439 mpg. I am totally excited about this because I do some spirited driving and I am normally the first one off the line and I like to drive at the front of the pack if you know what I mean. I am coming from a 2000 Honda Civic Si so I am use to shifting a lot more. I am totally happy with torque (notice I didn't say extra torque because the Honda had none). I am still getting use to what gear to down shift to. The Civic's gears 1st through 3rd were so close it almost didn't matter. I find the 5er's gearing a little more spead out and I find myself dropping into 2nd sometimes when I should have pulled 3rd. This causes the car to want to lauch forward and through me back in the seat with a tanaciousness the Civic never had. Any way, I am totally happy with my purchase and after the CPO runs out I will keep the car for another year or so and upgrade to a 530i 5sp. I don't know if I can ever own another car other than a BMW now. I am totally hooked.
    My '98 540i6 routinely gets me 26 mpg cruising at 74 mph. And people complain about it while driving fuel wasting pick up trucks and SUVs!
    Yeah, I think 26 is very reasonable for the 540i 6-Speed, certainly better than the 24 MPG that the EPA gives your car credit for. That said, if I remember correctly, the EPA tests for Highway mileage at something like 58 MPH, and at that speed in 6th gear there is no way the engine is running at peak efficiency, hence the gas guzzler tax. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have no idea what those codes refer to. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't tell you, but if they're not maintenance-related, it's probably insignificant.

As for the price, just run a report here on Edmunds to get the value with all the options you list. Make the dealer a sincere offer somewhere south of that, with the stipulation that they get a professional detailer to exorcise whatever evil odors are persisting there. (This reminds me of that Seinfeld "B.O." episode.)

Good luck.
    snagiel,

I was thinking the same thing in reference to the BO episode in Seinfeld... funny thing b/c that was also a 5er if I am correct.... lol...
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    No, it was a Saab.
    "BTW, what line of work are you in?"

Ummm, I am sort of "Between careers". ;-) By profession, I am an IS Consultant, and I sort of specialize in fixing messes created by other Programmer/Analyst/Consultant types. For what ever reason, most companies seem reticent to hire me to do it right from the start; however, they are more than happy to hire me to clean up the mess. :-/

In the process of cleaning up a BIG mess at MB-USA back in 1996, I developed a fairly severe case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so bad that I could hardly shift the 5-Speed in my VR6 Passat. Given what I do for a living, I simply solved the problem by inventing a new computer mouse that does not generate the same stress that causes CTS. I then got it patented and now I am working with a company here in NH that makes Ergonomic input devices, I am revamping their Data Processing systems, and they are building my mouse for sale under their name.

My intent is to finish their systems, and then start "Carrying a Bag" and market my mouse to corporate America.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    We have similar careers. I work for one of the BIG 3 IT outsourcing services and currently managing an account in NYC.

Regards...JL
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    "I am an IS Consultant, and I sort of specialize in fixing messes created by other Programmer/Analyst/Consultant types. For what ever reason, most companies seem reticent to hire me to do it right from the start; however, they are more than happy to hire me to clean up the mess. :-/ "

I, too, am an IS Consultant. I both create and fix messes. Maybe you've fixed one of mine :-)

Good luck w/ the mouse. Sounds very interesting.

Jack
    "I, too, am an IS Consultant. I both create and fix messes. Maybe you've fixed one of mine :-)"

Hmmm, probably not, given that you are the type of person who hangs around a "5-Series" discussion. ;-) I have found it very interesting that the folks that I clean up after usually (as in with only 1 exception that I know of) drive a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry (and think that there is no finer vehicle on the face of the Earth). The one exception mentioned was an old Ford "Country Squire" wagon, complete with rusted out fake wood grain sides and streaks of mucus and pipe tobacco down the side glass. :-P

Regarding the mouse, with any luck, we will have the tooling finished sometime this summer, and have initial production samples in time for fall COMDEX. And yes, the process has been very interesting. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm a recovering car addict. I had my addiction pretty well licked until my son went to work for BMW about 7 years ago. Everytime I drive his M3, 540, 330, etc. I get it real bad again. We have and old 528e and a new X5, but I'm thining real hard about an 03 or 04 5er.

Shipo, I've enjoyed your posts and like to keep up with things re: the 5.

Jack
    hicaira, being a big Seinfelf watcher... in the older episode which included the BO episode, he drove a 5er.... later on, he drove the black Saab. I could be wrong but I am quite certain....
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Shipo,

Maybe you could market your mouse to the BMW people who think I-drive is a good way to go. :) heheh

My wife is really loving our 3er and with the kids growing up, we are looking to do one of 2 things:

1. Digress and get a Z4 and have some fun
    2. Get a 530 and enjoy the fact that our careers are doing fairly well.

Either way, I can't argue with her logic. :) She is even suggesting we get the stereo in the 3er upgraded. :)

Gotta love it. :)

-Paul

I can contact you offline if you would like about this, but I know of some people I work with (in a BIG govern... err company that may be interested in your mouse.)
    sirtiger: You're right, it was a 528 in that episode, and the Saab appeared later in the series. Count me in as another Seinfeld fanatic.

shipo: I echo joatmon. Another IT consultant here, and I'll be the first to admit some of my early work after graduation could probably make for a nice "How Not to Program" book one day. Good luck with the mouse endeavor, or, as one of our clients once called it, the "rat thing."
    hicaira, being a big Seinfelf watcher... in the older episode which included the BO episode, he drove a 5er.... later on, he drove the black Saab. I could be wrong but I am quite certain....
    Joatmon,

I am a recovering car addict as well (hopefully I will never fully recover ;-)). Interestingly enough, I drove my Passat the entire time I was at MB-USA, while most of the folks that I worked with drove a C-Class. Everytime when we would take my car out to lunch, they would say, "You are so lucky to be able to drive a car with real power and a 5-Speed, we HAVE to drive a Mercedes, and we cannot afford an E-Class". Poor babies. ;-)

Erickpl,

Works for me, I am at the same old E-Mail address. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The USA BMW plant is between when I live and currently work. Sometimes, half the cars on the freeway are BMWs. BTW, the Z4's and 7's styling does grow on you(or at least me). I see many of each every day.

Too little money and too many BMWs.

Life is good,

Jack
    Up until last August, I lived less than a mile from BMW-USA and less than two miles from MB-USA, and during the morning and evening rush hours, there is no doubt that "3s and Cs" (as we used to say at MB) are far more plentiful than more pedestrian models from other manufacturers. After that experience, I am rather enjoying being one of the few 5-Series drivers up here in New Hampshire. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueox2blueox2 Member Posts: 19
    Hello to all,

After considering purchase of a used 5-spd 530i I decided to go the Euro Delivery route and get a brand-spanking new silver/black, SP, PP, Premium Sound, CWP, Xenons, Fold-Down Seats, 5 spd 530i. My father happens to be going to Munich for a meeting and will pick up the car for me. I was able to negotiate a good deal with a nearby dealer. The car will arrive stateside in late July (can hardly wait!).

Anyhow, I am interested in getting the integrated cell phone. I asked the dealer about this and got serious sticker shock when he told me the total cost would be in the $1500-$2000 range. Does anyone have any experience with phone installation in these cars?

Regards,
    BlueOx
  • tlam625tlam625 Member Posts: 13
    I think Euro Delivery requires the "buyer" to
    pickup their car in person. Has this rule
    been changed?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have "heard" on the net that some people have been able to integrate phones, but without many of the functionalities that is included in the "BMW" phone, which just runs a different SW. In Europe, many people are trying to get the Bluetooth option to do the same, and allowing for more flexibility. However, it seems that option is not much cheaper. This is all sketchy so far, but you can find some info on the net.
    The BMW phone is well-integrated into the vehicle electronics and audio system, providing genuine hands-free operation and use of the steering wheel and radio controls to operate the phone functions. Unless you're a traveling salesman or otherwise enjoy spending $2000 on a $120 phone, though, the system is wildly expensive. As jb_shin says, there are after-market options available, but none as fully integrated as the dealer-installed option. And Bluetooth, while technologically cool, is expensive as well, not to mention US dealers aren't equipped to install it (yet).
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    When I bought my 530 i A Bimmer in 2001 I didn't exactly purchase it as a high "mileage car", I had another that fit that category. However, I was very pleasantly surprised on a great trip to LA that it averaged 28.8 mpg on the straightaways. No in -town mileage figures apply because I don't remember them. Needless to say, 28.8 mpg for this car to me is darn good for the speed I traveled there and back. Also, while there on that trip I didn't hold back at all on acceleration. Since then, most of my driving is around town with very little highway cruising which is what I love most along with twisty mountain roads !
    I average 22.8 mpg around town which is still very good.
    Thanks for the input on the phone. I would be amazed if the true cost of the phone parts and labor was anywhere near $2000. It makes me think the dealer is making a huge profit on each of these. But at that price point I can't believe they sell many. I'm sure if they cut the price in half, they would sell four times as many. $1000 is still steep mind you, but worth it if it helps you avoid getting in an accident.
  • zhangqjzhangqj Member Posts: 15
    Are you sure your father can pick the ED car for you in Munich? Is the car title in his name?
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    Can someone give me some hints how you take care of your leather interior? Particularly, what product(s) you found works the best and how often you use them. My intention is to keep my car for many years to come. Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I don't have a 5-series, but on my S2000, I was advised by the dealer to use "Lexol" cleaner and treatment (2 different products) for the leather. They have also been used by a friend on his 1997 E420 for 6 years and it looks new on the inside.

I was forewarned to never use detergent or any product by Armor All on leather.
    Zhanggi,

You and others are correct that the BMW website does clearly state that the car must be picked up by the buyer. The salesman I'm working with was not aware of this rule until I informed him (after learning of it on this forum!). He's going to see what he can work out. Worst case scenario, I figure my father can buy the car and then sign over the title to me (I'll reimburse him of course!).
    Lexol Leather pH Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner. They are very good, although I've heard some good things about the BMW-specific formula available through dealers.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Careful you don't get hit with another set of sales taxes and registration fees when your father signs the title over to you. That would wipe out a big chunk of the ED savings.
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    How often do you use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner?