Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I suffered 5 bent rim events on my 1995 VW Passat GLX (factory rims were a single piece BBS design) while living in the NYC metro area between 1995 and 1999. As a result, I ordered my 1999 328i without the SP, and while it was a fine car for my needs, the day I spent driving Brave1Heart's (of 3-Series discussion fame) 2001 325i with SP in December of 2001 convinced to take the risk of a bent rim or two on my next car. So far, after a year and 14,000 plus miles initially in the NYC metro area, and now in the Boston metro area, I haven't bent a rim, yet.

An interesting item of note, my 530i with the Sport Package includes the Type 42 "Cross Spoke Composite Wheel II" two piece (if you don't count the bolts) wheels (which can be had from PacificBMW.com for $416.40). I find myself wondering if just the rim component can be replaced in the event of an unscheduled encounter with a pot-hole. If so, is that less expensive than simply buying a new wheel? Either way, I am glad I opted for the Sport Package and of course the requisite separate set of winter wheels and tires from tirerack.com (about $1,000) for the winter months.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwgurubmwguru Member Posts: 51
    You can't replace sections of the wheel. It is only sold as a unit. I wouldn't let the roads scare me from buying the Sports package. You can bend any wheel.
  • diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    Shipo. Now that you mention it, I think it is the winter about which I heard the most complaints. Of course, changing out the wheels would fix that. Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride? I have heard that tires and wheels are the most important part. True, not? (Obviously, I am a new BMW owner (2000 540i wagon).
    "Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride?"

For the most part, yes (the "M Sport Package" for the wagon offers lots of goodies that have nothing to do with the suspension). That said; you will probably be best served by opting for non-BMW suspension components (as in Dinan and other aftermarket suppliers). If you want the factory look, you can buy BMW wheels from several sources on the internet such as ebay.com (new and used), roadfly.com (new and used) and of course the previously mentioned pacificbmw.com. If you don't need to have BMW wheels, then tirerack.com is a good place to start for wheels and tires.

Once you have the tires (which like you said, are probably the most important component), you can start the shopping for the other goodies. Were I you I would start on the Dinan site http://www.dinanbmw.com and go from there. Good luck, let us know how you fare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Does that mean you will be out of touch? I hope not -- you should try very hard to check in mid-week or so...

:)
    Fortunately (or otherwise) this is a business trip (at least the London part), and (for me at least) by definition, that means that I will have access to the internet. So, other than being a few hours earlier than most folks, I will still be around. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Two tips of the old hat to Muzzy all 95 pounds of her, she is a TRUE enthusiast ! That has got to be one of the best stories I've seen on these posts. I loved it. I have to tell you this story.... my wife and I were motoring north of SF in Marin county headed for Sonoma county's wine area and ahead of me going about 75 miles per was a vintage 1968 2002. As I caught up to the driver I noticed it was a she and honked not expecting a glance but
    she did and I gave her the "thumbs up" sign and she just lit up with the widest grin you have ever seen, it was priceless ! What a beautiful car.
    ...still feeling young enough to enjoy driving a nice Bimmer... Priceless! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Cool - well check the front page around Thursday or so and have a great trip.

;->
    Will do!
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I once was sitting in my office when one of my employees came in and asked me why all my windows, including sunroof, were open. The car was in a lot that was right below I-95 so it may have picked up a signal from above. Very mysterious.
  • sirtigersirtiger Member Posts: 38
    Also an additional note... the spare tire is a exact full size tire & alloy rim. A nice touch by the manufacturer. I am not sure if that holds true for all BMW makes.

I thought that may be handy if I ever need to swap a bent rim but want to hold off shelling more money or just get whole new set. At first glance, I always notice the rims & headlights.
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    I am not certain, but I believe the steptronic came out in 2000 MY for the 3er and 5er.

Mark
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    You don't have to buy a new rim every time you happen to bend one. There are several shops that fix bent alloy's. I had plenty of BMW alloys fixed when I lived in the snow belt. It's amazing what damage they can fix - usually costs $100 to $150. The back of Bimmer magazine has a bunch of wheel straightening advertisements. I used a local shop in Denver that did a great job.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    My new 530i SP went through one of Atlanta's best carwashes and the front/left wheel emerged with a scratch when pulled into the lane too sharply by the attendant.

Pointed out to the Mgr and he agreed to have the wheel refinished. You'd never know there was a scratch! Understand they can fix a wheel that has been "curbed" and bent also.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    What is the popular one to join, think it cost $35.00 or so?

Thanks
    heh, well the BMW 5-Series Owners Club in the Town Hall is totally free! :-)

Just follow the link at the top of the page!
    Had my car for 5 months now with 2600 miles. I notice something amazing the other day......I slowly pushed my 530 a bit over 115mph and I was shock to see the RPM under 3K. The car didn't shake or felt scary at all which was expected. But under 3K RPMs?? All I have to say is WOW!

Other interesting thing I noticed was that when I push the car hard suddenly, it has a slight delay in moving but once it moves...it jolts quickly. I also notice sometimes it likes to hang over 4K RPMs as long as it can. The fun factor combined with refinement is like no car I have ever driven so far.

Does anyone know what happen to SNAGIEL's stolen 530i? The story was getting interesting and was curious if there are any new developments. I bet he defected and having fun in the G35 club. :)
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    RPMs are product of gearing not power. In a sense the lower your RPMs are the less power you have at the particular speed. Try to accelerate from 115mph to say 130mph and it will take forever. My car turns 3500 RPMs at 115mph but it would get to 130mph much much quicker.
    I wouldn't have expectation that I would push 230 @ 6K RPMs (even though there is a governed speed). My previous experience with Nissans, Toyotas, and various other makes would nearly redline & scream at that speed. Its very impressive how it handles in twisties & high speeds...
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    Besides a great club. Benefits include discounts on BMW parts, Cash rebates off new BWM and CPO from $500 to $1500 depending on model and whether new or CPO. You must be a member for a year prior to requesting a rebate. Great monthly mag and a small price to pay ($35 yrly) for a great club.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I just joined last night. I'm expecting my first issue of Roundel in about 6 weeks.

The $500 discount on my first 3er (4-5 years away) will be well worth it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Indeed I "defected," but I continue to keep an eye on this forum and the new 5's development/introduction.

Regarding the theft, I'm currently speaking to a lawyer and can't discuss much at the moment, but I'll update when I can.
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    Besides a great club. Benefits include discounts on BMW parts, Cash rebates off new BWM and CPO from $500 to $1500 depending on model and whether new or CPO. You must be a member for a year prior to requesting a rebate. Great monthly mag and a small price to pay ($35 yrly) for a great club.
    SNagiel wound up getting a good settlement for his 530i, and he bought a G35 Coupe with the money.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    did the police investigation into the unordered-by-him duplicate key get anywhere?
    yes, I was aware of the generous settlement. That was one of the many reasons I bought a BMW... it retains it value well (not that I would considering trading it for anything else!). Originally I considered looking for a low mileage 540 or M5 which was near impossible to find. This shows that these are keepers.

The investigation of the potential dup. keys were getting quite interesting. Car theft is getting very sophisicated.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    I also have a 530, an '02 with 5-spd. man. I'm pretty sure that my car turns 3000 rpm at about >80 mph<. I'm surprised to hear you doing 115 mph (not kph) at that rpm. Even if you have an auto., I don't think it's geared that differently. Sure your tach is reading right?
    I noted that I climbed conservatively to a tad >115 not flooring to >115. I couldn't believe at first but I am certain w/o a doubt that I saw around 3K RPMS. It appears that SergeyM experience 3500 RPMs at that speed. I give the opportunity that my tach is off but I know what I saw. I am sure the people who bought the 530i via Euro del. would have some input to this as well.

Though I was driving that fast, I don't condone others to drive recklessly. I was driving my car 6am on a Sunday on dry pavement with good visibility of the road. Its nice to freely drive and see what this car was capable of once in a blue moon.
    sirtiger, we'll overlook the issue of high speeds on public roads, I'll just assume your experience was on a "closed course", heh-heh. However, gear ratios are what they are, and whether you romped on it to get to that speed or eased up to it, I just don't think a 530 turns 3000 rpm at 115 mph. I'm pretty sure of this because my old '91 525 would go 70 mph at 3000 rpm, and I particularly noted that my 530 would do 80 mph at that engine speed. The gear ratio is fixed when you're in 5th, so if my 530 turns 3000 rpm at 80 mph, it should turn about 4300 rpm at 115 mph.

Something sounds off. Can anybody clarify?
    I noted that I climbed conservatively to a tad >115 not flooring to >115. I couldn't believe at first but I am certain w/o a doubt that I saw around 3K RPMS. It appears that SergeyM experience 3500 RPMs at that speed. I give the opportunity that my tach is off but I know what I saw. I am sure the people who bought the 530i via Euro del. would have some input to this as well.

Though I was driving that fast, I don't condone others to drive recklessly. I was driving my car 6am on a Sunday on dry pavement with good visibility of the road. Its nice to freely drive and see what this car was capable of once in a blue moon.

• hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    If so, it's not apples to apples.

Manual 5th gear is a 1.00/1 ratio and final drive is 2.93.

Auto (top gear) is a 0.75/1 with a final drive of 3.46.

530i, anyway.

Hic
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    hicaira is correct. The automatics have an overdrive 5th gear. A key advantage of an overdrive gear is that it allows for sustained high speed cruising at much lower RPMs. The automatics will turn over a lot fewer RPMs at 85 mph or 115 mph.

Key is the overall ration, which is the final drive multipled by the individual top gear's ratio. Selecting the "right" final drive is important (since it impacts every gear) as is choosing each individual ratio. Engineer wants to achieve synergy with the engine's power band. Using BMW's's numbers:

525i manual: 3.15 x 1.00 = 3.15 overall
    EPA= 20/29 mpg

530i manual: 2.93 x 1.00 = 2.93
    EPA= 21/30 mpg

Notice that the larger 530i motor gets better mileage than the 525i? Gearing is a big factor for the highway mileage figure.

540i6 manual: 2.81 x 0.83 = 2.33
    EPA= 15/23 mpg

M5 manual: 3.15 x 0.83 = 2.61
    EPA= 13/21 mpg

525i automatic: 3.46 x 0.75 = 2.60
    EPA= 19/27

530i automatic: 3.46 x 0.75 = 2.60
    EPA= 18/26

540i automatic: 2.81 x 0.80 = 2.25
    EPA= 18/24 mpg

540ia Sport: 3.15 x 0.80 = 2.52
    EPA= 15/21 mpg

I'm a huge fan of overdrives, esp. overdrive 6 speeds. My '98 540i6 gets over 26 mpg cruising at 74 mph. If I need to accelerate quickly (say to pass), I just downshift to 4th or 3rd gear.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Well, my 2 cents is that my Seville will do 72 MPH at an engine speed of 2000 RPM's. It has the following gears/tires. Axle ratio is 3.11:1 with an overdrive of 0.68:1. Tires are 225R60 on 16 inch wheels. Final gear ratio here is 2.11:1 and at 3000 RPM's it should do about 108 MPH.

Is 115 @3000 (or less) real? It depends on your final drive ratio and tire size. Figure it out.

Checking Goodyears site for tire diameters:
    225/60R-16's = 26.6 inches
    225/55R-16's = 25.7 inches
    235/45R-17's = 25.3 inches

Bigger around means the engine will turn slower in case your wondering.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    August 2003 issue of Bimmer arrived in mail today. In the Tech Q&A section a doctor says he intends to keep his '00 540i6 for the long haul and asks questions related to properly maintaining it. Tech editor Mike Miller has some interesting info on possible problem areas and service recommendations. For example, he recommends 30,000 mile service interval for gearbox and differential oil. He also recommends replacing water pump, thermostat, and intake manifold oil separator every 60,000. Thankfully, he writes, "your drivetrain problems will be minimized by the fact you have the durable Getrag S6S 420G manual transmission."
    riez, thanks for the info, but after doing the math, it still seems like a 530ia should be turning something like on the order of 3800 rpm at 115 mph, not about 3000.

I'm envious of your 6-spd. box, >finally< BMW is making the 6-spd. manual standard with the inline-6's.
  • jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Sirtiger, one of the best things I brought back from my ED vacation (uh, other than the car) is a photo of the instrument cluster with the speedo at 130mph. The top of the tach is obscured in the photo, but it looks like we were spinning a little below 5k rpm. It's a 530i 5speed w/SP.
  • kchanuskchanus Member Posts: 27
    I own a 2001 330ia, and i believe it has the same trans as in a 530ia. The final drive ratio is the only difference where the 330ia's final drive ratio is 3.38 and for the 530ia, I believe it is 3.46. My car turns about 2750 rpm at 80mph where the gear locks up which will translate a little under 4000 rpm at 115 mph. So, I think there must be a mistake somewhere that no way a 530ia turns around 3000 rpm at 115mph. Hope this help.
    The 530ia with sport pkg has the 235/45R-17 tires with a diameter of 25.3 inches before the weight of the car is put on them. Final drive ratio is 2.6:1. A mile is 5280 ft or 63,360 inches; divide by the circumference of the tire, which is 797. This number is the number of times the tire rotates in 1 mile. The engine must turn 2.6 times more in a mile or 2073 times. This is the tricky part, a mile per minute is the same thing as 60 MPH, so at 2073 RPM's we are doing 60 MPH. 3000 should be somewhere near 87 MPH (probably less).
  • kchanuskchanus Member Posts: 27
    That means no way a 530ia turn about 3000 rpm at 115mph.
    If it has not been modified from the factory specs.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Modified or not, if a 530ia was running 3,000 rpm at 115 mph, that would translate into about 1,500 rpm at 60 mph. Which would give it roughly the acceleration capability of my Isuzu Trooper driving up a steep hill.

Ideally, a car geared for performance would reach it's top speed at the RPM coinciding with it's peak horsepower (typically about 1,000 rpm below redline). Fopr example, in 6th gear at 75 mph, my Honda S2000 is turning 4,000 rpm - equating to 8,000 rpm at its top speed of 150 mph (not that I've verified this personally).

Many of today's cars - 530ia included - have high "overdrive" gears for fuel economy. But 3,000 rpm at 115 mph would make the 530ia's 5th gear virtually useless at under 80-90 mph for either performance or fuel economy, since it would be "lugging" below a minimum useable threshold RPM (i.e. at least 2,000 rpm).
    will cruise at 41 MPH in overdrive with the torque converter locked at just over 1100 RPM's. This engine is tuned to have good lowend torque though.
    I will add that the transmission quickly down shifts at engine speeds of 1500 RPM's or less when any load is put on it.

Comments on habitat1's post: Yes, ideally the top speed will be at the peak horsepower and will counter the drag forces. This does not have to be in top gear though. Overdrive can be for cruising and top speed is in the next lower gear. To max out performance though, top gear would be top speed and the rest of the gears are spaced to optimize acceleration to top speed. Planetary gearsets are a bit tricky though.
  • tbrown12tbrown12 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for a new car as my lease is up in July. I was going to get a new '03 Acura TLS for the value when a friend suggested looking at the wholesale operations that shop the auctions.

My choice now is a new Acura through a lease,a slightly used '03 or '02 TLS wholesale or a 20k mile '01 530i. I like the BMW best but have concerns about repairs and routine maintenance for the BMW. Most say the wholesale Acura for the "prudent" choice. What's you take as I like the feel of the BMW.

Thanks.
    That is what I saw with my own two eyes. I give the opportunity that I could be wrong. I will look at it again if I make another run at that speed.

Hey, plans for the new M5 slated for 2005!!!...
    Interesting V10 500HP going upwards of 9K RPMs

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- - _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07407679
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    I'd suggest you go with your heart and get the BMW, you won't regret it. Great car as opposed to a "reliable" appliance.
    New vs. new Acura is a much better deal. Very fast. Noticeably Faster than 530 auto or manual but only up to 100mph or as long as it is in the 3rd gear. The 4th and 5th gears are very tall. Both are ODs (0.65 and 0.45). BTW if any car can go 115mph at 3000 RPM it would be Acura TL-S. Hence a very good gas mileage. The engine is a lot of fun, does not lose much power at or above the read-line (6900 RPM). Not much power down there though, mid-range response is just OK. 540 is all about the mid-range. Not much up there. 530 is kind of equally powerless across the RPMs. Compared to Acura's navigation system BMW's is a joke. Acura's handling is not that good. Feels heavy and soft and at the same time the ride can be pretty punishing. Never happens in 540. Acura is a much bigger and more comfortable car that 5-series but not playful at all. You can mod it but it still will be a front-driver. Good in snow. No need for winter tires. The weakest point is the auto tranny. Numerous failures. Check Acura-tl.com board for more info. My track numbers for TL-S were 14.8/97mph for 540 14.3/94mph. 0-60 Acura - 6.3sec BMW 5.7sec. Both calculated from 1/8 mile time. May by off by 0.2 sec. BMW has much more prestige no question about it. BMW is also much better build and feels like it will last forever. Leather on the drivers seat was already worn after 1 year and 15K miles on the Acura.
    and is not very reliable either.