Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,361
    Are you sure thats a warranty from BMW, or just from your BMW dealer? I've never heard of BMW offering an extended warranty other than the CPO warranty. I doubt I would spend that much for a third party warranty.

regards,
    kyfdx

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    And has he seen the welcome page recently? Have the rest of you seen it?

:-)
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
  • TSchrammTSchramm Posts: 106
    My comments from the '4 redesign topic as to why I bought now instead of waiting for the '04...

..."After finally deciding that the '04 5-series looks like a collision between an '04 Pontiac Grand Prix and a Toyota Camry, I went down to the BMW dealer and traded my '98 528 for an '03 530. The '03 design is familiar and classic. Looks like BMW decided to create a new look just for the sake of looking new. Mechanical improvements, no doubt, but the '04 is a Japanese-inspired aesthetic mistake, IMO. "
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    What is it? Went to Home page and didn't see anything ... tried Welcome page but there isn't
    one.
    Great , congrats and very well deserved.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    diver110... Your post points out the value of the CPO program. That adds 2 yr/50K of coverage on top of the original 4yr/50K. If your car had been CPO, it would be under a BMW warranty thru 10/05. CPO is only way to go when buying a recent vintage used BMW.

I concur with kyfdx. Haven't heard BMW NA offering any extended warranties. Their only program is CPO. All the other extended warranties I've seen or read about were 3rd party warranties. I'm not a big fan of these. Expensive and usually limited coverage. Might have hassles getting them to pay and BMW dealer might want payment up front from you or the company.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    Only the 525/530i use rack & pinion. Don't know about the new E60 5 series.

Hope this helps...JL
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Now everyone knows what we all know (about you, of course)!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,395
    congrats my man!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

Sales data issue came up in the E60 Redesign board. Thought the latest data interesting. Not good for BMW NA. Very good for MB NA.

Check out AutoSite's data in their Market Research Section. Here is the latest on SEDANS as of end of April:

Model 4/03 4/02 YTD 03 YTD 02

BMW 3 6394 6546 23597 21432
    BMW 5 4240 3929 12827 13518
    BMW 7 1753 2125 ..6385 ..6679

So total YTD sales of both 5 and 7 Series are down. Only 3 Series sedans up YTD. 5 Series sales up for month of April. But April sales down for both 3 and 7.

MB data much better.

MB C 4277 4133 15135 14568
    MB E 4228 2614 16789 11057
    MB S 2042 2002 ..7292 ..6640

April sales of C, E, and S classes up. Notice the huge increase in E Class, both in April and YTD. E Class Outselling C class YTD! MB E and S class outsell BMW 5 and 7, but 3 outsells C.
    Thanks and I'll try to find out about the E60.
  • tbrown12tbrown12 Posts: 18
    I am looking at 2000 528i sports with under 26k miles. I was told from several dealers (not BMW though) that as long as the car has under 50k miles you can purchase up to 100k total mile warranty through/from BMW not a third party insurer. If it has over 50k you can only purchase third party warranties.

Is this true?

Thanks.
    tbrown12... I haven't heard of such a thing. CPO program is only thru BMW dealers. Think these non-BMW dealers selling you a line in order to sell you one of their non-CPO units. Non-CPO used car has the original warranty and free maintenance agreements but nothing beyond that. To get that, you'd have to go 3rd party extended warranty.

You should (1) check out BMW NA web site (which has info on the original factory 4/50 b-to-b warranty and the additional 2/50 CPO program (which is different in coverage than the 4/50 warranty) and (2) ask you local BMW dealer.

Check out posts 6628 & 6635 above.
    Coming home from church the Spirit possessed me. :)

At 100 mph in 6th gear (overdrive) my 540i6 turns over at about 3,000 RPMs. Since BMW speedometers are notoriously fast, she was likely only doing 95 mph or thereabouts. She rides on 235/45-17s up front and 255/40-17s in back, ContiSportContact2s.

I'd be amazed if a 530i5 can do 115 mph at or under 3000 RPMs. I doubt a 530i5 can that at or under 3500 RPMs. Maybe closer to 4K?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Congrats on your acknowledgment on the welcome page.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,395
    Since autoweek reviewed the new 5 a week or 2 ago, look for the monthly mags to do it in the upcoming issue. I may have to fork over the $8 or so to see what CAR says. CAR is usually nothing less than BRUTRALLY honest.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

Thanks I will check into it. What I heard/was told was that as long as the car had under 50k you could purchase the additional 2yr 50k warranty directly from BMW. It's not CPO as it did not go through the detailed inspection. Not sure on the loan car either. I will check with the local BMW dealer.

Source was a sales person who had worked for quite some time at a large Dallas BMW dealership.

I had also heard this might work with other car companies pushing CPO's like Lexus too.
  • I'm new to the Town Hall, and I'm sorry I didn't find this sooner. I've already learned so much thanks to everyone here.

Has anyone heard when BMW will stop taking orders for the '03 5ers. I'm desperately looking for a 5 speed with no sport package b/c I understand that the SP makes it significantly harder to drive in snow, even with snow tires. No dealership seems interested in letting me order a 525 or 530 with the manual tranny and no SP. Are they just trying to avoid placing the order or has BMW really stopped manufacturing the '03 MY already?

If production has in fact switched over to the '04 MY, has anyone heard any info on potential pricing? I ask b/c I fear that the '04 5er will be priced out of my reach, given the inclusion of this seemingly maddening iDrive boondoggle.

Thanks.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Someone is feeding you a line regarding the SP and snow. True, the OEM SP tires are useless in the white stuff, but a set of dedicated winter tires/wheels will allow a SP car to handle winter weather just fine.
  • pap5pap5 Posts: 144
    And how does one find it?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    is this month. The last date to order one was 4/7 in Germany, but in the states one could find a dealer with allocations that may have not been built yet. If you can still find one, you can "order" it the way you want. Good luck
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    Yes, but I understand that 525i and 540i w/ manual transmissions are still possible, but that all 530i w/manuals have been built.

Jack
  • diver110diver110 Posts: 67
    I was finally able to reach the person at the BMW dealership to whom I talked about the extended warranty. As several people on the board have pointed out, BMW does not offer an extended warranty program outside of the certified car one. This warranty in question is offered by Car Care Connection. For what it is worth, the guy at the BMW dealer says you do not pay first for the repair, they do all their extended warranty business through Car Care, and they are a reputable company. They give the repair facility a credit card for the work. I assume I would have no trouble if the BMW dealership that sells the warranty does the work. Outside of that, I suppose it might get more challenging, though I doubt a BMW dealership would deal with them if they were not reasonably reputable.
    diver110... Check the fine print. Pore over all the details. What is covered? Not covered? Is there a deductible? Is it transferable if you sell the car? What happens if you are traveling?

You might ask BMW dealer to compare this 3rd party warranty to BMW CPO warranty.

You wrote: "I doubt a BMW dealership would deal with them if they were not reasonably reputable." If a dealer sells 3rd party extended warranties, they do so to make money. Often these sorts of products can be very high profit for dealers. More likely they choose the carrier by how much profit they can make.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Click on the "Town Hall" link that follows the You are here note at the top and bottom of the list of messages on this page.

My question is WHERE IS SHIPO?? Maybe he is traveling...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,601
    the people who know the most don't always post here.

I agree, Shipo is probably traveling. I've been to Taiwan 22 times -- perhaps he's back there.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    He's in Europe - London and perhaps elsewhere. Look back for the keyword "pond".
    I have driven both and prefer the feel of the 528i sport even though the 330ci has faster 0-60mph time. Would like a 530i or 540i but just out of my car budget. The 2000 528i sport and 2001 330ci at low miles are around the same wholesale prices of 26-28k.
    The 330ci would be newer and faster. Any upside or downside to the 528i sport over the 330ci besides room. Resale, ride, handling, repairs, maintenance, etc.

Thanks.
    tbrown12... You won't go wrong either way. Both are great cars. How important are the 4/50 b-to-b warranty and 3/36 free maintenance time/miles to you? Do you drive a lot of miles each year? Warranty and free maintenance considerations might favor the '01. (I'm assuming you are going CPO.)