Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    A change in the member agreement that distiguishes between the message boards of commercial ventures and those of non-profit enthusiast groups.

Or clarification of "promoting"

TB
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Suffice it to say it's promotion, and previous emails requesting that it not continue have been ignored. I find it a bit rude myself; rather like eating my Krispie Kremes in a Tim Hortons.

But we're off-topic - please take any more comments to email. Thanks.

Steve, Host
    nevermind, I sent it in an e-mail

TB
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    mean for my inquiry to turn this site into a brouhaha. I found the fix at www.contour.org. Rotarykid, does Mazda (Ford) support this modification? Does it effect the warranty? I don't understand how this modification would eliminate the Moaning!! But 25 cents vs a Franklin is a big difference for a dad of 4. Thanks once again in advance for any input.
    I always heard an occasional brew was good for some haha.

Steve, Host
    They don't even want you to open the hood ;)

Just don't make the hole too small because you will trip the Check Wallet Light. I think mine is at about 5/16ths or so. Search around here a bit, I tripped the light on my MPV with too small a hole.

TB
    With the throttle hang fix in both my MPV and Contour
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Check Wallet Light? That's one I haven't heard! ROFLMBO (pg rated version...)!!

I never notice a throttle hang... mine's always wide open, so no problem!. :)
    In case you were wondering, I finally made it to the hill for a half dozen runs this afternoon, and all bones are intact :-)

Steve, Host
    Glad you made it ok. I just checked my e-mail at home and I'm glad I don't need to see the principal, LOL

TB
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    thats a good one. I'll try not to use it around any of my customers. Daddio- if you want to replace the valve instead of performing the fix mentioned a few posts up, you definitely can do it yourself. Get the valve and the gasket and a 10mm socket and your done.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    I am thinking about buying a new MPV. I was surprised to hear that Ford builds the engine???? Does this mean that the MPV has the same horror stories about the engine as the Windstars???? Have second thoughts about buying a *%&^#@ Ford product!
    Is this true??????
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    If you go back and look at the threads in this topic (or do a seach on Duratec) you will find that the Duratec is a solid engine with low complaints. It is not related to the infamous Windstar engine that was know for blowing head gaskets.
  • btdavis6btdavis6 Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2000 MPV LX with 62,000 miles. No issues prior to hearing what I thought was a failed ball joint or tie rod. Took the van into the dealership and was told that the noise I was hearing was something in the transmission. It sounds like the flutter when a tie rod fails. The sound is heard only after letting off the gas. If I'm accellerating or braking, I don't hear it. If I accellerate to a cruising speed and back off the gas pedal, I will begin to hear it. But if I then step on the brake, even slightly, it goes away. The dealership added to all that by saying that if they ran the van in a no load condition, the sound was not heard either. I'm a bit perplexed at the thought of it being the transmission, because I've not experienced any slippage or hesitation or any other signs of transmission failure. Has anyone else experienced anything similar. Disappointed at the thought of such a catastrophic failure to what seemed to be a nearly flawless vehicle up 'til this point.
    I have not seen any transmission failures to date on the 2000 or newer mpv. I work on mazdas and I also own a 2000 mpv myself. Contact the dealership and see if they can get any assistance from the local service rep if in fact the trans is the problem. Maybe even get a second opinion from another dealer if its not too much trouble.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    just bought an '03 Subaru Forester to replace our '89 Trooper and found something interesting in the owner's manual:

"Gasoline for California-certified LEV

Your vehicle was certified to California's low emission vehicle (LEV) standards as indicated on the underhood tune up label. It is designed to optimize engine and emission performance with gasoline that meets the clean burning low-sulfur California gasoline specifications. If you live in any other state than California, your vehicle will operate on gasoline meeting Federal specifications. Gasoline sold outside California is permitted to have higher sulfur levels, which may affect the performance of your vehicle's catalytic converter and may produce a sulfur exhaust odor or smell. SUBARU recommends that you try a different brand of unleaded gasoline having a lower sulfur to determine if the problem is fuel related before returning your vehicle to an authorize dealer for service."

Perhaps this explains why our '02 MPV and others in California don't have the problem. If Subaru is pre-empting a problem with this statement, obviously the situation isn't just a Mazda concern.

John
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    We have a 2000 MPV, 28,000 miles.

Recently my wife noticed a strong gas smell inside the cabin. The smell is also noticeable outside near the engine compartment. Bringing into the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is definitely not the sulfur/rotten egg smell others have been experiencing.

Thanks,

Mike
    I have only seen a fuel leak once on the 2000-up mpvs. The fuel-evap canister and related equipment is located under the van on the left side. basically under the drivers seat but on the outside of the vehicle. This canister is protected by a metal guard, but I had a customer that drove over something and damaged the unit causing fuel vapor to leak. the smell was noticeable when getting in and out of the van. They also had a check engine light code that revealed a fuel vapor leak. If you dont have a check engine light concern, pretty much any fuel leak will be post-injector. possibly a leaking intake gasket. the mpv uses a gasket similar to that on the early tribute which leaked often.
  • cellarfrecellarfre Member Posts: 1
    Been wanting to get a MPV for months , but stayed on the sideline on account of the sulfur smell. Saw once_for_all's message (#2584) about MPVs not having smell problem in California due to the state's emission control, i.e. low sulfur gas. If true, I am headed for the showroom. Appreciate if someone can verify this.
    Maybe someone can find a better link but California uses a unique type of reformulated gasoline. (US EIA, 2001)

Steve, Host
  • tanna2tanna2 Member Posts: 1
    Need help. Just purchased a 2003 MPV. Love it. Except, have already taken into service because driver side automatic sliding door will not close. I have to close it manually. Service tech copied a page out of service book that stated both automatic door buttons should not be pressed at same time. Would "confuse" computer system. For one week I have not pressed at the same time. Door is still not closing. Door starts to close and then automatically opens again.
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    I don't think anybody in CA has complained about the H2S smell. However, don't expect the advertised mileage either.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I have not experienced the pwr sliding door issue yet but will check it out and ask my dealer about it when I visit him later this week. I have only 200 miles on mine so far though. I will ask about the simultaneous hitting of the buttons to see if that causes this to happen.

One thing to note, if you have the temp gauge on your mirror, you should all know there is a bulletin about moving the sensor location under the vehicle. Seems the buffoon engineers locate the sensor near the engine area which gives inflated outdoor temp readings. I had mine moved before I took delivery and it is reading right on! The service writer was not aware of this issue, but the technicians were!! I found out about this on the MPV Club website. They have the diagram and everything needed to show the techs what to do.
    Brought my 2000 MPV into the dealership Friday night - so they could look at it on Saturday.

Called around 1:30 and they said they couldn't "smell the smell" which is what I had feared. Service Manager said it might have something to do with the weather (it was pouring in New Jersey) and to bring it back when it was dry.

When I arrived to pick up the van, it was still in the shop. I walked in and found out the Shop Manager was working on it and he thought he knew what the problem was.

Just as rotarykid mentioned above, there were two different types of gaskets used in early MPV's, apparently two different colors, one leaked the other didn't.

So right now he is checking with Mazda to find out if my VIN falls in the target range for models with the leaking gasket. I'm actually hoping it does. At least then they know the cause and can fix it.

Otherwise everything else checked out - no gas or exhaust leaks.

Will update everyone when I find out more.

Thanks rotarykid for your response!

Mike
    I had actually forgotten about the mpv's having those same faulty intake gaskets. They were part of a recall that was pretty much taken care of at the port so I had not seen any at the dealer. (my own van had it done at the port).
    and they occasionally move about the cabin when it is parked somewhere while one parent is in the store or something, you might want to keep the blind cap in the lighter socket or disconnect the lighter altogether. My two year-old put a penny in there and it went unnoticed until the van came to a stop and it shorted the fuse for the lighter. Unfortunately, that fuse takes out the speedo, radio, shift lock actuator etc. My day day care/sister in law called me in a panic from a stop light and I was able to walk her through what to do only because it happened to me once before. This time I disconnected the harness. Just a "thought-I -might-let-you-know" thing.
    Dealership called and said my MPV was within the target VIN's for the problem gaskets. They are ordering them and will be installing them early next week.

Hopefully this will cure the problem.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    you can do that, but then they always have the CD player to put money into. My 3 year-old (at the time) put almost a dollar in change in the jukebox and never got her song. Of course I almost got smoked out of my MPV when I started it. Interesting thing about the shift lock actuator: mine still worked but I did lose all dash lighting.
    Today this person posted a shot at the MPV;
    Somebody should set this guy straight on the Edmunds MPV thread called Toyota Sienna vs. MPV. He shot a salvo at the MPV calling it junk because of a FORD Tranny and bad FORD engine. Saying he went with a beloved Sienna for quality, etc.. Bad experience with his old WINDSTAR. NO COMPARISON!
    First of all; Tranny is NOT a Ford from my recollection and the engine is the tank of the Ford fleet from my research. Time for the defense to rise!
    Did my part 8^)

TB
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    There's nothing really wrong with the Sienna - the oil "smuck" thing was blown out of proportion IMHO. I haven't seen any indication of that in my wife's '00.
    If the "Ferd" engine in my '01 was a-typical I would have been in the shop long before my present 38K miles. Come to think of it, I haven't taken it in for anything. Hate to waste a warranty like that!
    That person just didn't get all the facts before he jumped - maybe he thought the ashtray was too small...
    :))
    Ok, I may have been a little defensive, but let's get the facts straight before we throw rocks....agree?

I bought two Chrysler mini's (Voy/Car.)in 13 years and had the Tranny's replaced in both. BY CHRYS.) Would I buy another DC if they had fold-under seats, towing on the shorty model and the flair of an MPV...probably. I don't think I would attack another make that has a slight link to Chrysler Corp. on the thinking that they never improve and that the other make is still bad.

Let it go....I'll just enjoy my MPV!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    These young Jedi knights have such a zeal that I remember seeing in the early days of the 2000 mpv thread.

Now I feel like Yoda...much more relaxed, but if Count Doku ever happens by, I can still kick some [non-permissible content removed].

Use the force young apprentice.
  • fredswfredsw Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had a problem with the Dunlops on snow?
    I don't think they are worthy of an all-season rating. I'm in SW Ohio (Cincinnati area) and this is my first winter with my van in snow and it hasn't been a good experience. I run them at 32 lbs. Is there an alternative tire to be purchased? I also feel a small shake in my front end at all speeds.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    One must forgive the young padawons. The force is strong with the "herd mentality."

Mace.
  • anolledoanolledo Member Posts: 6
    Haven't posted in awhile. My wife loves our 2002 MPV however we've noticed some clunking the past few months. On average it happens maybe once a week. What happens is that when we pull from a stop or accelerating in general and we let off the gas but then we hit the gas a gain the tranny sort of lurches, like its hunting for a gear. But it is not subtle. I know of the "intelligence" built into the tranny to anticipate our driving habits but this is to much. AJN
  • bdbomberbdbomber Member Posts: 10
    Anolledo, From time to time I too have a hard upshift from 1st to 2nd. I have a 03, bought back in november. Took it to the dealer, went for a test drive and the problem never showed , so our dealer said when it happens again just bring it over. Fot the past week it's been fine, but this problem pop's up sporatically. If you have any info let me know.
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    i had a similar experience with fredsw (except ours is an lx model with 16" wheels) as far as poor snow performance by the mpv. pittsburgh had a little snow last presidents day, and we could barely make it up the hills on the south side. will get dedicated snow tires next year.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Our 02 LX with the Dunlops has been superb this winter up here in Upstate, NY. We have had close to 150" of snow already. I've gone through several 10" snowstorms without any unusual issues.

Mark.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I'd recommend getting snow tires if you are getting a lot of snow anyways. I have Michelin Arctic Alpins on ours for the second season and was just driving at night during the snow storm a couple weeks ago which dumped close to 40 cm of snow (25"). On some streets there we so much snow that the underbody of the van was dragging against it. I never got stuck. Once I had to get some speed before getting through a pile of snow created by plows (trying to get from a "plowed" street onto a smaller unplowed one which was divided with a high pile of the white stuff). But still I got through that without a hitch...
    Alexv1n, tell me about the Michelin Arctic Alpin. Does it work as an all year tire? We have very warm summers, would that be a wear factor? I have the 2002 MPV ES and it requires 17" tires. I think the Michelin is available in this size. There isn't much to mchoose from in this size(215/60/R17. Thanks.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    No, Michelin Arctic Alipns are dedicated winter tires. As such they have very soft rubber compound and wear off (rather) quickly. You can run them during summer but I think that would be just waste of your money.

What I would suggest to you is to get a 15" or 16" steel wheels along with winter tires and keep your nice 17" alloys with all-season or summer tires. By doing this, you will be able to switch wheels yourself and won't have to balance them every time. Plus you'll spare your alloys from the abuse of mounting/re-mounting tires.

That's what I did anyways, and I'm glad I did.
  • lindelllindell Member Posts: 1
    Ive had my 01 MPV since new in Mar 01 and six months later the brakes started locking up. We took it in three times and finally it quit. Now the front end is shimmying and the tires are worn out(I mean showing threads on the inboard sides of each front tire). 20000 miles on the vehicle and I was wondering if anyone else has had the front end problems we have had? I just went and bought two new tires even though I think the others are warrantied(or should be).
    Thanks Alex,
    I'll keep that in mind. It may be getting too late here to do that. It's a shame I can't find a reasonable alternative to the Dunlops.
     Maybe someone out there knows of a substitute for the 215/60/R17 that it wears.
  • geoffjgeoffj Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced a bad power window? I haven't been here for a while, basically since way back in 2000 lurking about until totally convinced to buy, and we've been enjoying our MPV ever since. Now, however, our 2000 MPV has the driver's side front window refusing to go up. The dealer my wife stopped at said they knew right away it had to be a bad motor that would cost $450 for labor/parts to replace. I suggested a second opinion over the cell phone. When she was getting ready to leave, a technician said sometimes something can get stuck above the window and it may be a matter of getting the door off and removing whatever obstruction may have gotten in. Since we're beyond warranty and will have to bite the bullet, I wanted to find out if anyone else has encountered a similar problem. I only found one other post in all the earlier messages. Please let me know your thoughts if you can. Thanks.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Was that post you found mine? Our '00 MPV had a problem with the driver's side power window, but fortunately it was replaced under warranty (but barely still under warranty).

Our window would go down but not up unless I pulled it up by hand. That happened at every position along the track, so having something stuck in the track wasn't even a consideration in our case.

-Dave
    I find several posts using the "Search This Discussion" too (in the wide rectangular gray box) and putting "power window" in the search box. Didn't read them all - there was a fuse issue long ago.

Steve, Host
  • geoffjgeoffj Member Posts: 2
    Evaddave, yes, it was your earlier post I discovered. Lucky you were under warranty. We had to bite the bullet to have part of the "regulator" on the motor replaced-$468-(ouch). The MPV has 59,000 miles, however, and I know that window got a lot of use. Hopefully, just an aberation.
    Just another reason I purchased the MAZDA extended warranty on my 03 MPV. Three of those deals and you've paid for the warranty.
    Motors are covered! My cost on a 6 year 100K miles warr. was 1600. I keep my vehicles 8 years, so there's bound to have things happen like the windows deal.
  • weston110weston110 Member Posts: 1
    The front end & the steering wheel of my 98 MPV badly vibrates between 60 & 65 mph. I have the problem since I put Bridgestone tires at 30k miles. I guess the originals wore out so soon due to South Florida heat. The shaking is very obvious to all riding in the car. I tried wheel balancing several times & that didn't work. At 50k miles my front tires were badly feathered & worn out. This time I only changed the front tires with Michelins. Now at 57k miles I have had alignment done & all wheels balanced several timesplus had one rim changed on dealers recommendation. Still the problem wont go away. Mazda dealer says that MPVs have this problem. Tire dealer (Costco) says he has balanced them almost to perfection. Any ideas guys? On highway you will find me driving either at 50 mph or 70 mph.
    Funny you should mention this problem. I still have my old DC 95 shorty minivan and it has Bridgestones on it. Tires only have 5K miles on them, yet at times, over 60 MPH I have this vibration too! I have had balancing AND the front axles replaced by Chrysler. Yet, it persists. I have given up on it and tend to live with it now since I got the new MPV and am selling the DC. It's still a great old van...at any other speed. Still a mystery though, since it does not always have this problem at that high speed. Weather conditions have NO bearing on it either.
This discussion has been closed.