Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    greatings, I was on the BMW site looking at the new 525 series... I plan on leasing for 36 or 39 months @ 15000 miles a year... I built a car and found the figure to come out to be around 509 a month, which to me translates to about 250 a month because my parents agreed to match my amount (instead of buying me a new car, I wanted to pay for some of it so we came to this deal of half or match what I pay) I don't think thats bad, plus that was at there msrp I was wondering how ya'll liked your 5 series and if there are any that have leased or purchased a 04 5 series, what type of options and deals where you able to get... thank you very much
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you looked into buying the car through European Delivery rather than leasing? You could probably get the price down from $1,500 under US MSRP to about $6,000 under US MSRP ($1,500 over ED invoice). Given that you are already prepared to put a substantial amount down, you should be able to finance it at an attractive rate (home equity loan?).

Sorry if this is too much of a digression relative to your question. I just can't get past the $52k+/- price on a 2004 530i when I was considering a new 2003 for roughly $10,000 less through ED (or a 2003 540i for $50k after the incentives). Perhaps the sticker shock of the E60 will wear off at some point, but right now, it looks like a huge increase for a car that doesn't appeal to me as much as it's predecessor.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    habitat1... Concur with the MSRP issue. Prices seem high. Though that is likely because of the recent heavy discounting on the E39s. Seems like dealers are ordering E60 530i's with MSRPs well into the $50K range. Too much money for too many gadgets. You could get an E39 540i for these prices.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    I've never liked the idea of covering the brake rotors just to keep the wheels clean. I recommend replacing the OEM brake pads with Axxis Deluxe Plus pads to virtually eliminate the brake dust problem. These pads perform as well or better than the OEM pads and there is approx. 95% LESS dust created. Any wheel cleaner should do the job. Clean the wheels frquently and don't let the dust build up.

Hope this helps....JL
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    the e39 saw virtually no increases through its model cycle. The new car is taller, wider, longer, offers better safety, technology, and ride and drive. whether you like the body style or not the price increase is merited. Look at what the other cars in the segment have for base prices (markedly less the MB, comparable to lexus). 525's will be hitting dealers in a fairly good abundance now, base price 40 grand. Sport package models are on constraint from the factory now and dealers are supposed to order these only if it is a 'sold' unit. 545 initial allocations are virtually sold out also as big dealers are hustling to get more of these cars. Aren't those new TV ads slick!!!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Ditto on what srfast said in regards to the Deluxe Plus pads; their stopping ability is every bit as good as OEM and they are less expensive to boot. As for wheel cleaners, my favorites are BMW's proprietary wheel cleaner, P21S Gel, and Zymol Wheel Cleaner. I buy bags of foam paint applicators whenever I find them on sale and use them to get at the nooks and crannies of the wheel. And stay away from Klean Wheels!!!
    "The new car is taller, wider, longer..." Another reason my next Bimmer will likely be a Three Series. Unless Bangle turns it into a toad as well... The guy has to be a double agent for either Audi or M-B.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    It's a toad.
    I respectfully disagree.

IMO, a significant reason for the success of the previous 5 series and the 530i in particular was a combination of performance, attractive aesthetics, limited gimmickry, and relatively competitive pricing. With the new 530i, presumably the performance has been maintained (although I am NOT a fan of run flat tires), the aesthetics are questionable at best, the gimmickry is unnecessary and adds to potential bugs and premature obsolescence, and the pricing competitiveness has been significantly eroded.

I myself would have never bought the previous 525i (or earlier 528i) as it was just too underpowered for a "sport" sedan. However, the prospect of getting a well equiped but low gimmick 530i 5-speed for around $42k through ED was compelling, given that an "average" Japanese FWD near luxury sedan is in the $30's and the current E-class pushes or exceeds $50k.

We can debate whether or not the design of the new 5-series is an evolution or a Bangleization. However, the fundamentals of why the previous 530i was of interest to this particular buyer have definitely not improved and perhaps declined. Nominal size increase aside, nothing merits a price increase relative to the factors that are important to me.

If Mercedes had their act together and decided to import the E270 CDI 6-speed sport that is available in Europe for roughly the US equivalent of $39,000, I think the new 525i (and even 530i) would be severely challenged. The E270 would offer comparable or better performance, phenominal gas mileage and, in this prospective buyers eye, less offensive gimmicks and better looks.

Perhaps we all were spoiled by the price/value of the previous 530i. But just because it may cost BMW more to design and produce the new 530i, don't automatically think that we as consumers find the increase merited by a better car. I don't.
    sorry I didn't really make sense in my earlier post... i was tired and typeing and thinking wheren't going hand in hand. anyways, I went to the dealor yesterday and drove a 5 sedan, i must say I love the car, everything about it seems to fit what I was looking for, I like the i drive feature, but to be honest its something I could do with out as well, to me it would be a worrie that the knob would short out and wouldn't control its functions, but then again, I don't plan on having it for longer than the warrenty anyways. I'm looking into leasing a 525 with just the auto and the leather, I priced it at the dealor yester day and the quote was 470 a month 36 months, 15K miles a year, I wasn't too concerned with haggeling prices I leave that to my father, I'm 20 and have saved up all through high school so I could get a car, my father is the one who will haggle the deal and prices since I have no Idea what I'm doing, i'll just watch this time. my only problem is now is getting them to agree to this car, for my graduation they said they'd put down 8K towards a car, now in my thinking I can come up with about 350 a month in my paychecks (we figured in other expense so thats how I got what my payment I could do is). I'm hoping i can convince them to pick up the differnce to what ever the deal price that my dad works out. I'd rather have them help like that (till the 8K is gone) rather than them give it to me. I have some questoins though, I've never been a fan of BMW's and frankly never really liked them, but for some reason I really like the 5 series. I was wondering for those who have an 04 or even the 03 or 02 model line ups how you've liked your vehicles and have the held up pretty well with out too much haggle. thankx I plan on getting a car @ the end of november.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Don't mean to sound like a wet hen, but I just can't help but comment on somebody who "saved all through high school", and now wants to start ponying up serious dough in order to drive a $50k car. I know that "deferred gratification" is boring, but have you given any thought to investing some of your $$$, doing a little saving to build a nest egg, maybe save for a down payment for some real estate (usually an APPRECIATING asset, unlike most cars), etc.

When I initially read your post, I thought "well maybe his folks have big bucks", but if they're only contributing $8k, there's quite a bit left for somebody just out of school to cover.

Maybe you've realized it, but cars are expensive to own, and expensive cars are really expensive to own. Why not start out with something a little more modest, maybe even a well-maintained used ride. As you may have heard, the trick for creating wealth is "living BELOW your means", and in the end, having a decent amount of dough saved/invested can be very comforting. You've got your whole life ahead to buy and enjoy big ticket items.

OK, off the soapbox.
    You've got plenty of time to own a new 5er; get something YOUTHFUL while you are YOUNG. The 525iA is a nice car, but sorely lacking in driving excitement.
    Some suggestions:
    CPO E36 M3
    CPO M Coupe
    Corvette Z06
    Mustang Mach1
    S2000
    G35 Coupe
    GTO
    If you must have four doors:
    CPO E36 M3/4
    CPO E39 540i Sport
    RX-8
    Lancer EVO
    WRX STI
    All of these will be less expensive than an E60 5er, and-as a bonus-they won't be mistaken for a new Grand Am either.
    Hey, we all reserve the right to pick out our own cars. Mach 1, Z06 bad suggestion, dangerous, poor build quality. The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus.
    cjs2002... Why not consider something a bit less expensive? Say a 325i? You're young. Get a manual transmission!

Ask your insurance agent what annual cost of car insurance will be. Might impact your decision.

Is the $8K down in addition to the $475 per month? If so, seems like an expensive lease.

If I was you, I'd be looking for a car under $25K. Have you thought about Hyundai Tiburon V6 6-speed? Honda Accord V6 6-speed coupe? If you want a sedan, Acura TSX nice. Or an Altima 3.5SE 5-speed manual. The Lexus IS300 is less expensive than 525i. MB C-class coupe C230 Kompressor. There are a ton of great cars out there.
    <Hey, we all reserve the right to pick out our own cars.>
    I never said he didn't. However, I do maintain that a 525iA is a bit stodgy AND expensive for a college student.

<Mach 1, Z06 bad suggestion, dangerous, poor build quality.>
    True, build quality is not up to BMW standards, but dangerous? Give me a break. I know more than a few CCA members who also have an American musclecar in their garage. About the only thing the Mach and Z06 might endanger is the ego of other drivers at track events.

<The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus.>
    Yep, and he'll have a head start on being in debt for the rest of his life...
  • bradsterbradster Member Posts: 6
    srfast -
    You stated in your last email that installing the Bluetooth kit is a DIY, then you stated that ALL kits have to be installed at the dealer, can you explain? I am looking on getting this installed in my 530.

If anyone has had any experience with this, your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    As one who was in over his head in college, I have to agree. Live BELOW your means right now. If you want a BMW, the 3 is not a bad choice. CPO cars are another good option.

If you want a nice car with above average performance, the G35, in either sedan or coupe form, will do VERY well. The G's rate very well in quality (Infiniti) and performance on par (or in some cases better) to BMW's.

At 20, you DEFINITELY need to worry about insurance, as that price won't really drop until you hit 25 or so.

Ultimately it is your call, but with the 04's being new and you being in school (my guess) you will want something more reliable than a all-new car with new technologies in it.

With a lower priced car, too, that money infusion from your parents will go a LOT farther and work to reduce your monthlies much more than for a 50K car.

-Paul
    I know that I just read it but it's tough to figure how someone could advise another to purchase a hyundai over a BMW...........please, this is killing me.
    You guys want to jump in here and tell this guy how to spend his money? Who knows, maybe this guys got millions. I'm sure that he realizes that there are many less expensive vehicles but maybe the car suits him and if that's what he decided he wants than he certainly could come up with a lot worse picks (hyundai, ford, chevy) BUY THE 5!!!
  • bigpig426bigpig426 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone knows a good tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley area (California)? I want to have black tints on my 2003 525iA. Also, can anyone recommend specific tint brands? Thanks.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Your advice for the 20-year old looking at leasing a 5-series: "The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus", with the added comment to critics that "maybe this guys got millions"(sic). (Yeah, sure he does...)

Spoken like somebody who makes a living hoping other people go into hock, whether they can afford it or not. May I respectfully suggest that it would enhance your credibility on this board if you were to refrain from dispensing such questionable advice. We all know you like (or at least shill for) BMW's, we all like them, too, but suggesting such an expensive car for somebody who apparently needs $8k from his folks just to swing a lease (let alone insure it) sure doesn't say much for your judgment, or objectivity.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I, you and bmwseller is am not here to be be judge and jury about whether a college kid should buy a 525i. Since the poster did not choose to reveal his financials and has asked a question - it probably should be answered without the editorials or berating someone who wants to sell a car to someone who is interested in buying a car.

I am not an advocate of this, on the outside, seemingly irresponsible behavior, but for all I know the poster has more money than Sam Walton.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Kdshapiro said... "I am not an advocate of this, on the outside, seemingly irresponsible behavior, but for all I know the poster has more money than Sam Walton. "

Is that the same guy who owned that mountain on that 70's Tv show? :) Walton's Mountain... :)

-Paul
    I think that he'll really enjoy the I-drive because he'll be receptive to it and appreciate the multitude of operations that are easily at his fingertips. I'm thinking of myself having that car at that age .......... the women, ah the women. You talk about a head turner. dang!! that would be sweet.
    By the way, be sure to get personalized plates.
    bmwseller... My point is to get something that you can afford. And get something with manual transmission and some power. (I don't worship marques. I love cars, regardless of where made or who made. I'm probably the only person here who has owned 2 Infiniti, 2 BMW--540i6 and 323ia, and 2 Lexus but also owns a Hyundai. My '00 Sonata GLS V6 w/5-speed manual, ABS/TC, leather, CD, sunroof, pwr seats, etc. now has almost 50K miles. Next to troublefree. Great mileage. Low insurance. Tiburon looks great and has decent engine/transmission combo.)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, folks ... cjs is getting a WHOLE lot of advice for which he did not ask, nor to which is he responding (at least for now).

Let's let this go for now. If he needs help deciding what vehicle to choose, I'm quite sure he is capable of asking that question.

Meanwhile, there is certainly no reason to get into a squabble amongst yourselves about what he ought to buy especially since, again, he did not ask that question! ;->
    Greatings and salutations,
    thank you to all who commented... we got a kick out of reading your responses, they are all sound, and I respect you all for your sugestions and I thank you for them. I've actually considerd getting a lesser car, but it doesn't appeal to me, and I don't know why, my friends all call me an the old man because out of all of them I'm considerably the most aged (in terms of taste and responsibilities.) I live with my parents, who have no problem with me living with them through college, I also have money set aside in case the day arises for when I may wish to move into an apartment with friends or on my own, this was done with the help of my grandfather who has been my best friend through out life; my parents don't ask for mutch, a little respect, courtacy, and the ability to get a hold of me on my cell phone in case they need something is all they ask of me. I've given considerable thought in saving up and investing, my father started his own manufacturing business which I too consider to be my own investment, I've put in looongg hours helping him get through paper work, shop work, as well as offering finantiall assistance when times arouse. its been a year and the company is around the corner from taking off. getting this car or a car like the G or the X type or the C MB is something my mind and heart tell me is right. my father supports my decision and as a thank you has offered instead of payment back to pick up x cess slack of the payments as I've previously stated. I'm beyond fortunate to have what I do, and to be able to have the oportunity and chance to do what I want. I appologize for taking such a long time to respond to all of this, and I also wish to appologize for sparking any arguments and what not; I've been running around working with my father as well as at my other jobs and thank you for all your support and suggestoins, to be honest I've looked at nearly every mid size car out there, from nissan to honda, to camry to well sorry to say but I refuse to get a ford or chevey and I've even looked at the Cad CTS along with any and every model range in between these. I'm sorry for such the long winded response but like I said i've been away for a bit. (please if you have any more advice or comments feel free I appriciate them all; you're also welcome if you don't wish to take up all the message board to email me at CjsG35.... yes I know it says G 35 which is what i'd wanted till i fell in love with the five and found out that the lease payment were nearly identicall thank you to all again)

Sincerly
    Craig
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Craig, we have a Help Me Choose! discussion that would be a great place to continue this conversation. Why don't you make a post there, and those of you who want to continue to help him figure out what might be best can meet up there.

That way we can keep this 5-Series discussion from getting too far off-track.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    and is not a factory option. If you want the BT kit installed pre delivery, you order it through the dealer and they install it. If you want BT post delivery, you have two options: You order it at the parts counter and have the service dept. install it at the prevailing labor rate. The install documentation indicates it takes 1.5 hours. The second option is that you order the kit, take it home and install it yourself. Unless you are deviating from the BMW install, it is a straight forward install.

Hope this helps....JL
    I went to the dealor today with my father... I actually had a great experience .... well except for the end part. I'm about 95 percent shir that I'm gonna stick with the BMW; we talked a bit on prices, (not too heavily) but we talked a little about what we or rather they could do to lower the lease payments. so far we've gotten with 4100 down (includes tax title licsens and all taht good stuff) 36 month 15K miles per year for 465 a month, my father believes we can get it for a better price, what do you all believe... the whole bad part of the day is that I discoverd that they wouldn't be getting a shipment of 525i till end november mid december. but even then these are equiped with things I don't want, they said that they'd make a deal where they'd just discount off what ever wasn't on my original list of what I wanted on the car, I'm hoping this holds true when we go back in 2 weeks.... (she wrote it down on paper and had the manager sign it so its all good)
    You CAN sell a young man an old man's car.
    I'm delivering two new 5's today. A stunning silver gray 530 sport and our first 525. Has anyone seen any of the new colors?

Go buckeyes!
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    bmwseller, correct me if I'm wrong... didn't Bangle go to Michigan? ;-)
  • 2gr8sons2gr8sons Member Posts: 2
    Someone please tell me what's up with the brakes and my 2000 528i. The dealership said I would most likely have to always get new rotars when I replace pads and that my front brakes may only go 13,000 miles. I bought my car in May. I just spent almost 500 on front brakes and rotars last week. How far do you think they'll take me?
  • cornellpremedcornellpremed Member Posts: 58
    It looks like it's scowling mad with those downward slanted "eyebrows". But is it a justifiable anger? Is it no longer "the ultimate driving machine"?
    "Is it no longer "the ultimate driving machine"?"

It is whatever name you decide it is.

I personally love the exterior styling and the first reviews of the new 5 series have been extremely complimentary. To base an opinion on whether a BMW is the ultimate driving machine based on the shape of front headlights seems a little short-sided. Why don't you go drive it and then come back with and tell us about your test drive?
    says that the new 5 is still the segment leader!

go drive one premed .........what car in the segment do you like the looks of?

We're all Big Ten brothers, go bangle!
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I have been lurking here checking out the reaction to the new 5 series. Quite surprising in a sense but the biased view against the newest and the latest is quite funny, frankly. I know you all love your Bimmers, but the resistance to change is a little over the top. Almost everyone that hates it qualify it with their previous generation 5. Like no kidding!

Anyways,coming from someone who doesn't own a BMW, when I checked the new and the old side by side, the old 5er looked like a German Buick. Old, stout, and "classic" in the sense that it has been around forever.

Yes, Bangle is a big change to BMW's style philosophy, but his 5 series looks the best yet. Aggressive, clean and svelte in shape, it is everything the old 5er isn't. Interior-wise, with the appropriate wood/leather combo, it does look great. The back seat is outstanding too.

At $66,500CAD, well equipped and with a 6spd manual, it significantly undercuts the E320 and while an S-Type is the only other car with a manual and cheaper, dynamically there is no competition.

Just my 2cents, you can continue bashing it, keep up the laughs!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! COME TO THE DARK SIDE! ;)
  • beemer4mebeemer4me Member Posts: 42
    How does an opinion that runs against yours qualify as "biased"?
    I think the biggest BMW stylistic change took place when the E36 replaced the E30. Yes, there was some carping, but NOTHING like the resistance the E65 and E60 are encountering. Bangle simply doesn't realize that "distinctive" does not mean "gawky" or "odd". Granted, the interior doesn't bother me that much(though the flat dash devoid of instrumentation looks more Buick than BMW), but the exterior says "Pontiac", the side view screams "Camry", and the rear mutters "Kia Rio". It's sad that the only new BMWs which look attractive are the X3 and X5. And the new 6er? Roll it up next to an E24 and try to find anyone other than a BMW salesperson who thinks the new car is more attractive. And I'll bet the BMW salesperson would fail a polygraph test...
  • cornellpremedcornellpremed Member Posts: 58
    Is similar to that of a $20,000 Honda Accord.

I used to remember a time when Honda ripped off BMW designs.
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    I posted on another Edmunds board that the Wall Street Journal said today that BMW is redesigning the 7-series "early". Behind all the hype, they reveal that Sept year over year sales for the 7-series are down 23%. Europe is particularly affected. So, whatever the esthetic opinions we all have, apparently buyers are backing off the 7-series. An Audi dealer I know said he's getting a lot of A8 business from former 7-series owners. Maybe they like the old shape better, but they're the ones who can afford $70-80K for a car. Most 20 or 30 somethings can't. So, the Bangle design appears to be a marketing miscue BMW is trying to correct early.

Your point about the E39 looking like a Buick (meaning old looks for old people, etc., I think) is valid if the new generation E60 knocked your eyes out -- but as designman says, it looks oddly like a Grand Am. I think the point being made is that the design could have been much better than it is, capturing the (usually well-off, anxious-to-buy)existing 5-series buyers while interesting a new generation of younger, aspiring buyers. If the 5 leaves its established market behind, like the 7-series apparently has, BMW suffers. For buyers, a new decision comes up: do you want to pay $40-50K for an odd looking car that will get redesigned in a year or two or wait until later?

Speaking of odd looking cars, I'm sure there's people out there who think the Pontiac Aztek is the leading edge car they'd like to be seen in. Most think it's simply an odd (very odd) looking car. Wonder if the 5-series is enough of a Aztek-like mistake to simply become an odd-looking car :)?

Cheers--
    For some reason the current 7 series is outselling all previous 7 models. A lot of people who have such harsh criticism are more likely to spend honda accord type money anyway. I'll take the polygraph right now.
    I have no bias. I don't and have never owned a BMW, either.

Opinions are just that and everyone is entitled to their own. That said, your description of the old 5-series looking like a Buick and the new one looking "aggressive, clean and svelte in shape" has me wondering if you need glasses.

I can accept the new E class as a aesthetic refinement of the previous one. But I cannot accept the new 5 as a aesthetic refinement. It's a radical change and at least to my unbiased eyes, destroys or damages a lot of what made the 5-series attractive. The new one is a lot closer to GM than the old one, IMO.
    My opinion, the 745 is to the 740 as the new 5 series is to the old 5 series. The 745 has grown on me tremendously. The 740 is one of the most handsomely conservatily designed cars ever, that is now long in the tooth. The 745 picks up at the right place, interior and exterior. To me the same analogy holds for the 5 series.
    I don't at all get what these GM to BMW comparisons are. What part of the car looks GM or Honda for that matter? Get a little more specific because I'm sitting here looking at the cars all the time and I'll check it out for myself. Obviously, there is a reason why people feel this way. Could you be so kind as to explain what that is? curious
    bmwseller - I think what premed may have meant to say is the back of the Mercedes C class looks like a Honda. Actually come to think of it, without my glasses the back of a BMW does look like a Honda.
    I was an expert marksman in the marine corps several years back and still have excellent vision but this observation is without glasses.

I have the rear end of the accord in front of me on the dell monitor now and the new 5 series is just feet away in the middle of the showroom.........

There are virtually no similarities but the 'bimmer sure does cost a lot more.