Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    I don't know what SAC + I is, but it sounds like it could be the same or similar to SC. Comfort seats are a US$1200 here on 530s. They aren't available on 525s and are standard on 740s. Taxes here include a state sales tax of 6-8% in most states and a luxury tax of 4% over $38,000. There are probably import taxes hidden in the base price, but I don't know.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    What do you mean by full maintenance? Are you talking about the extended service warranty that can be purchased? I plan on buying my one year extended service warranty towards the 35th month from my date of purchase( I am financing for 36 mos.) You don't have to put out the money now. The only risk I am taking is that the price may be a bit higher by then, but I'd rather have the money in my pocket for three years than in theirs. Plus, it will give me a chance to see how reliable the car is and whether or not it may need expensive repairs in the 4th year from date of purchase. With the cost of servicing these cars I think it will be a wise purchase. If this is not what you meant by full maintenance, then please fill me in. P.S. In my opinion, you should not cut corners on the options you want in your car. You will live to regret it. Over the course of whatever years you finance the car, the cost of these options is relatively inexpensive.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I have a '97 528. The inside of the headlight covers seems to be dirty. Is it difficult to remove them? What's the process?
  • steven36steven36 Member Posts: 13
    Went shopping for 530i and couldn't believe the arrogant attitude of salesman. He acted like he was doing me a favor to allow me to buy a car from him at full MSRP. Told me test drive limited to 5 miles, tried to force my acceptance of gray color I don't want, they had only 528s in inventory, I might have to pay over MSRP for 530... I walked out. Might go for a BB E320.
  • akuma1akuma1 Member Posts: 37
    Igross. I guess seeing that you guys have high taxes too makes me feel a bit better. I recently went to Hawaii and stopped my the Galleria (duty free). There they have a sign showing a few cities and their sales tax. Among them was Vancouver (where I live) and New York. Vancouver by far had the highest sales tax. And Vancouver isn't in the same league as New York.

CMR530i. I went to the bmwusa site and they now state that full maintenence is included free of charge for all 2001 model year vehicles. "Full Maintenance includes items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW specifications. This includes items such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blades that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty" It's an option for me so I'm just not sure if it is worth it. I'm not sure if clutch is included into the equation but stick drivers generally recommended getting it. But since my car would be an auto I don't know if I'll need it. Oh I forgot. I'm choosing between the exteded "scheduled warranty" and extended "full maintenence warranty"

As for cutting corners on options. I realize that paying that much for a car I might as well get the extras. But the car is fairy expensive already. And that's why I only want to get stuff that is worthwhile. The car is a family car intended for my mom. So the sports package is not wanted. Outside that, the rain sensors, ski bags, don't really come in use. And almost everyone has said the audio upgrades to be not worth it. So that's why I'm left with the air bags, dscIII, and lumber support. I'll ask about the comfort seats cause it doesn't appear on the options list. And I'm looking at whether I can get 17inchers in there.

steven36. I've heard some horror stories about BMW service compared to MB service. I'm afraid I might be forced to buy MSRP myself. There's only that many dealers in my area.
  • 5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
    See my post under the topic of "Problems & Solutions).
    Okay. I've read them. But I don't quite understand what you want us to get from it?
  • GLeenGLeen Member Posts: 46
    For those of you out there who own either 2001 525s or 2001 530s, have there been any recalls? have you experienced any problems?

Thanks.
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    On behalf of the Lincoln LS board I would like to extend my apologies to GLeen for the way he was treated on the board. The LS owners sometimes get a tad too protective of their car, and certain posters have a habit of going overboard. However there was no excuse for some of the comments directed at him or the BMW 5-series.

We cannot learn from our fellow competitors if we cannot take criticism well. If we keep blinders on without allowing fair comparisons we will not be able to make the car better. We have a slight underdog mentality about the LS and a frustration that Lincoln could easily make the car a true world-beater but haven't. Until we get to that point there will always be a little envy and jealousy about the ultimate driving machine.

Brian Gowing (ls1bmw0)
    Founder/President
    Lincoln LS Owners Club
    Your ok. Thanks.
    She can't make up her mind. We have a 1998 E-320 which we both like. We tested a BMW 525 (dealer didn't have a 530). The BMW seemed to handle a little better. I'd appreciate any imput re: reliability, service costs and comparative insights into the 530 (automatic trans) and E-320.
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I've had my new 530i since 4/14/2001. Absolutely no problems. It has Xenons, fold down rear seats, premium package, convenience package, steptronic trans. The only thing I would change is going to a sport package but I can't because the streets here in DC are so bad its a horrendous situation for tires and rims. I do not see the need for lumbar support. the seats in the premium package are much more than adequate. I know the old story "its only money" but sometimes money as a crop experiences a drought.

I agree that the cup holders and center console are a glaring weakness. There is a BMW Euro fix for the center console for about $300.00. Someone on this board showed diagrams on how to do it.

I will decide on maintenance at 35 months.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My two cents:

Properly equiped (i.e. 5-speed, sport package, sport seats), the 530i has the potential of being much more of a "drivers" car than the E-320, if that's your preference.

On the other hand, the E320 has a longer free maintenance period and, based upon what I see in the used car section of the Washington Post, tends to have better resale value. It also feels a bit bigger on the inside, particularly for rear passengers.

I'm likely getting a 530i (equiped as aforementioned) to replace my current sedan later this year. However, if we were looking to replace our SUV instead, the E320 wagon would probably win out over either BMW or Volvo. More expensive up front, but they appear to last forever and hold their value extraordinarily well.

Good luck
  • maxbustermaxbuster Member Posts: 13
    Got my 530i 0n 4/14/01. Love it, however, the "new car smell" or "outgassing" is making me uncomfortable. Any ideas on how to speed up its demise?
    I'm also considering the E320 as well. But they are once again a step up in price. We started off looking at a S60, then a MB C320, then a 330i then a 530i now an E320 as well. THe 530 and E320 would be great. We just need to be convinced that it's worth the extra money.
  • vreffettvreffett Member Posts: 6
    I have a 528 that I really like but the cruise control is making me have second thoughts about the car. I have had the car back to the dealer 5 times and the BMW Techs have also been involved but so far no solution. I am looking for anyone that may have experienced similar problems.
    PROBLEM: After setting the cruise to the desired speed I may accelerate to pass a slower vehicle and then when I decelerate the car will miss the preset speed and drop as much as 25MPH and then suddenly accelerate back to the preset. Needless to say, this can be quite dangerous. Does anyone know of this problem or a fix?
    Correct me if I'm wrong (since I don't own a BMW yet) but once you accelerate doesn't that automatically take you out of cruise control? I guess that doesn't help since you're saying it accelerates back.
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    Can anyone describe the differences in tire noise between the E39s (528/530/540) with and without the sports-handling package? I have a 97 528 which came equipped with Michelin MXV4 "Energy" tires which are exceptionally quiet (maybe the quietest car I have ever owned). How much noisier are the lower profile tires which come with the sports-handling package? I ask, because the "sports" package on the 740 results in a noticeable increase in tire noise and I wondered if the same was true with the 5 series. I have read nothing about this and would like to know before I replace my 528 with a newer 5 series.
    I have the premium sport package on my 2001 530i with the low profile tires and it is a very quiet ride. I only hear the wonderful hum of the engine!
    I had nothing but a great experience at Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA. If it is not too far for you, contact Keith. He continues to keep in touch and has traveled with me to the service dept. to order accessories etc. And I definitely did not pay MSRP!
  • chesdin3chesdin3 Member Posts: 14
    I have the same comment as cmr530i. I have an '01 530i w/ Sport/Premium. No noticeable tire noise. Only wind noise starts above about 110 (in Germany, of course...!)
    Went to a 2d dealer after walking out on arrogant salesman. Will probably buy 530 automatic. I was offered $1,000. off MSRP on 01 factory order but only $500. off for an 02 which I was told would be deliverable late Sept. Unknown is whether the 02 model will be at same price. Is it worth the wait?
    Yesterday I test drove the 530A and the 525A over the same terrain. I have decided to go with the 525 due to price difference and the fact that it felt exactly like my current 528. And I like this feeling. The 530 had better acceleration but I did not feel it was worth the difference.

Well, I guess it it time to negotiate on a 2001 525iA sport in Orient Blue with gray interior.

Any views on regular package AS sports package?

Thanks.
    Gleen, nice choice on the color combo (I have Blue w/Gray also) . One thing to keep in mind with the sport package is that it comes with the "shadowline trim" for the exterior. So it's a matter of whether you prefer chrome or black trim. Also you get the "3-spoke" steering wheel as well.....you're almost there on your decision ;)
    Just an "FYI"...MaxSpeed magazine (July issue) featured a nice "customized" 528.
  • monwenmonwen Member Posts: 14
    Wow ... this should be your worst problem. But I know how you feel as I just turned in my 2000 e430 and got a 2001 530ia. Basically, I guess the 1st thing to do is remove $$$ from the equation. MB is more luxury, larger interior, better space. BMW is simply cooler (if you will), more fun, more youthful and my wife & kids (who both drive) won't leave me alone. I had MB's for the past 10 years & they wouldn't even come out to the garage when I got a new car to see it. Yes, I love the 530ia & I loved the E430. The BMW is a welcome change. My concern was quality and that still remains to be seen.
    Did you get the sports package?
    GLeen, yes I have the Sport package, as well as optional Sport seats
    How do you like the sports package? I am debating it. I am afraid the ride will be too bumpy.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    The 5 series Sports option is no where near the harshness of many other "sport" suspensions options on cars like the Vette. For many, it adds significantly to the capabilities of the car and is more noticeable for it's absence of body roll. As a bonus, it also adds the shadowline trim, a slightly lower ride and wheels and tires which give the car an aggressive look.

However....in some regions with poor roads the wheels are more apt to problems, winter weather is more challenging and the tires will get much less wear.
    I don't know why BMW's are so much fun and satisfying, but they are. MB is a fine car but it doesn't turn on like the BMW. Sometimes before going to sleep I take the Beemer out for a spin. It always puts me in a better mood no matter how tough a day I've had. I end up sleeping better. Its a therapeutic vehicle.
    Did you mean much more wear?
  • jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    A couple of questions and comments for you having just read through about the last 40 posts. I picked up my 530iA about 2 weeks ago. It is unbelievable. Of course, I can say that having come out of a 92 Camry. It is Aspen Silver/Black with Steptronic, Premium, Cold Weather pkg, Convenience Pkg, in dash CD, and Xenon lights. I agree with you about spending money on important options. My suggestion to anyone is test drive a car with xenon lights at night, and you'll buy them. I would live without the Convenience pkg and Cold pkg before foregoing the xenons.

The Euro fix for the center console - what does it accomplish? There is no space to put my junk - and I am keeping this car NEAT inside. As far as the cupholders go, I figure it's just a matter of time before they break.

I have been looking for excuses at the office to "need to drive" somewhere. The engine noise is music to my ears, and the handling defies gravity.
    One thing I'm not sure about is whether the sports package adds the sports seat also. If one wants to be pampered would getting the sports package still be a good idea?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    They do not offer any extra pampering-they are more adjustiable,but that is more intended to grib you firmer in the seat,as the old term "bucket seat" implied.More side bolstering is added to stop the driver from swaying side-to-side during side cornering.So you might find them a bit more constricting,and sometimes very broad shouldered men actually find them less comfoftable.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    My error..yes the sport tires get MORE wear and are more costly to replace. With all that however, it does make the car.
    The tires that come with the Sport package cost around $300-$325 each to replace. They are "Ultra-High Performance" rated (translation= greater handling w/more wear).

They also seem more prone to "collecting" things(nails, glass etc.) from the road due to their larger "contact patch" or "footprint".

The "Sport" seats are a $475 option on TOP of the Sport package, plus you MUST also get the optional leather or Premium package with it. Also note...heated seat option canNOT be ordered with the SPORT seats.
    If available in Canada, consider the 16 way comfort seats. The ultimate in pampering and comfort for long trips.
  • jarbitaljarbital Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 1990 535i. According to the vehicle history at the local dealer, the battery was replaced one year ago with the standard BMW battery. I left the car parked for 10 days and the battery was completely drained. Took 2 days on a trickle charger to get it back up. The dealer said this is normal, as these cars have to be run at least every 5 days or the battery can go dead. Does anyone have experience with this? I can't believe this great car has this apparent flaw. I not yet convinced the dealer in this area is any good, so I need opinions on whether or not the dealer is correct about this.
    I'm offered $1k off MSRP of 530i-A, with convenience pkg., auto trans, Prem. Pkg., Xenon lights. (adding a 6cd changer). I was told this is a standard deal for year end model. I can get immediate delivery. Is this good or should I look for a better price?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Seen better, but it depends on where you're looking.
    I have not have experience with this specific car,
    but experience with similar situations.

Since you are not the original owner, there are some other variables to check into. The main one is "current draw". Something (an old alarm system, glove box light, or defective relay) can be drawing current from the battery, causing it to go dead. A qualified person specializing in electrical/shorts can check the car out with an "Ammeter" to see if there is excessive current draw. (A good car stereo/alarm shop can do this as well).

Another variable is to have the Alternator "load tested" to make sure it is charging the battery properly.

Good luck, and please share your outcome.
    I can't agree with you more about the Xenons. I tried them on a test drive and when I drove my own car home I thought the lights were off.

I looked through all the posts about the console. I saw it there somewhere. Its about removing the present telephone holding console and replacing with a space providing console. It isn't much space but it is in a very convenient location. My wife says no to the three hundred dollars. So that's the law until I can get a couple of new reasons like perfume and nail file holder. Go to eurobuyers.com and get in touch with Steve. I bet he will know the where's and how's on this issue.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    But a lot of the flames that you get are because you state everything as if it is a fact, and many of your posts are very condescending. No matter if you're talking about BMW's, or how salesmen are all slimy cheats, etc.

Until you tone down the rhetoric, people are going to flame you.
    I have asked about the comfort seats but nobody seems to know anything around my area. It's not listed in the options list and apparantly it hasn't been ordered before. So I don't know what it'll take to upgrade it. Maybe the salespeople just suck. let me talk to a manager!
    Depends on the area. I bought almost the same one for $2400 under MSRP, less another $2760 for euro delivery. Some areas are MSRP, period.
    They are listed in the US brochure, but I don't think many buy them. See if the Canadian BMW factory site lists them (www.bmw.ca). I didn't think they could be worth the $1200 until I tried them.
    When I was calling around for quotes on my 2001 530i, I worked with the price starting at invoice, not going down from MSRP. Of course, no one will sell at invoice, but if you go into negotiations knowing invoice and even Edmund's True Market Value, you will do much better than trying to work a deal down from MSRP. I went through about 6 dealers before finding one who was reasonable and flexible. Good luck. Patience pays off.
    Last time I went there wasn't even a brochure that just had the BMW 5 series. It was one with all cars in it.
    I just checked the bmw.ca site. The equip them differently there. A lot of things that are optional in the US are standard in Canada. Such as moon roof, heated seats, CD player, wood trim, leather seats, passenger power seat. But, they dont seem to offer comfort seats. They do offer them in Germany, so it's not just a US thing.