Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• atomicpunkatomicpunk Member Posts: 20
    I've been driving the E60 now for a month-and-a-half and I agree with Sports Car International: the active roll stabilization and steering features kick [non-permissible content removed]. Throw in the sexy, cutting edge styling, the roomy interior and the well-balanced set-up and this car is well worth the price increase (over the E39). As far as the SP goes, I love each and every feature it brings. Of course, in the interests of full disclosure, my opinions on value must be tempered by the fact that I got the E60 (automatic) with PP, SP, Xenon lights and 1,000 miles on it for $47,500 (a small controversy already discussed elsewhere on this site).

As always,
    I am...
    the ATOMICPunk!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'm going for an M3, but that's just 27 year old me with no kids:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, an E60 with Step, PP, SP and Xenon. That would be a 525i, correct?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Initially, back in December, 2001 I was looking for a 330i, but when I did the math, I realized that to upgrade to a 530i was not that much more. It was a no-brainer at the time. Now, the difference between the two cars is substantial. This will weigh heavily when my lease is up and its time to decide on a new car. Do I need to have and am I willing to pay the premium to have the extra features the 04 530i PP, SP has? Can I find another car, costing less, that will give me a comparable ride and driving environment? That is the question I hope to answer by lease end.
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    Check this out from the 3 Board -- about the E46, but entertaining for any BMW owner.

http://www.hedgpeth.com/mpegs/Making_of_an_E46.wmv
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    M3 performance is considered by some to be overpriced. Check out these posts from a former M3 owner and racer who is now doing an STi, and who happens to be in his late forties.

#703 and #705 by rickrover in this thread:
    BMW X3 vs Subaru Forester/XT vs Infiniti FX 35
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Noticed in your recent post that you replaced the Pilot Primacy's with SO-3's. How do they
    compare? I am very pleased with the Primacy's, contrary to what I read in Tire Rack they don't tramline , the ride is excellent, they are not at all "noisy", all in all I think they are an excellent tire. What is your take on this? What other, if any, tires did you consider? Thanks in advance.
    The post referencing the S-03s was a hypothetical "What if", I still have the OEM Primacys on my car, or should I say, on my rims (I currently have the Artic-Alpins mounted). The only reason I chose the S-03s in the above post was that TireRack.com didn't list the Primacys in the size that I needed for the comparison.

Like you I have not had any problem with my tires. Yes, they are getting a little noisy, but not too bad. No, I haven't noticed any tramlining or any other bad habits for that matter. Regarding a replacement set, hmmmm, I'm not at all sure. Fortunately the decision will only come if I keep the car past the lease end in March 2005. FWIW, given the state of my wallet and the new E60, I am currently planning on buying my 530i next year. If I don't it's because I decided to pop for a 645Ci. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad to hear that others like the tire, I sure do. Another
    knock on these tires is that they wear or cup very quickly. I only have 17 K miles but I know of at least one poster here that has already gotten 28K mi. and will probably get 35K before replacement. I know of at least one person who got 38K mi before replacing. That is not too shabby,eh? I also like the 645ci but it's a little out of my financial reach. Good luck. Great posts.
    Thanks.
    Told by the dealer that there is an upgrade in "late march" for the problem with the I-drive track-01 problem.

Anyone gotten an upgrade? Do you know what the release number is?

Thanks --
    Hmmm, 28K to 38K miles? Wow! I doubt that I will get even 22K on mine. That said, I live on a rather winding and hilly road that I just LOVE to push the limit on. In one three mile stretch there are four separate hills where the road transitions from curving one way to the other right at the crest, and unless you know the road, your cresting the hill at speed will generate a very nervous correction once you can see the road again. ;-)

A time or two I have taken a couple of the crests fast enough to have at least one of the tires lift off of the pavement and then chirp and they reconnect. I've shared all of this as a possible suggestion as to why my tires have not cupped or worn unevenly in the inside. They have however worn much faster than the folks getting 28K plus miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ...when I turned in my lease after three years. However, the rear didn't pass the depth test, while the front were fine. $200 to replace the rear pair.

Suggestion to anyone on lease: at about 15K miles, swap them front to back. Have the dealer do it so they're torqued right. That way you'll turn it in without the charge.

Cheers--
  • atomicpunkatomicpunk Member Posts: 20
    Shipo: I've got a 530i. Pretty sweet deal...

Bentleyfam25: I've got that CD track 1 problem too and have not yet received the upgrade. Was scheduled to bring my ride in to the dealer this week, but called beforehand to see if they had the upgrade yet and was informed they did not. Was going to get the radio amplifier replaced then, as well, but opted to wait and get it all done at once.

Yesterday, I noticed a new glitch. My steering wheel column has stopped raising up out of the way when I take the key out and exit the car. Have you been blessed with that little wonder, yet?

AP
    On the CD, if you get any specifics, let us know. I'll do the same.

Can't answer on the wheel. I like to see the gauges, and the thick (heated) wheel blocks them except in the uppermost position. I leave it up there unless I'm on a long drive, and so haven't experienced the wheel repositioning. I tend to place the seat position high anyway, so I find that wheel postion comfortable.

Perhaps others have dealt with it--

Regards--
  • diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    I made a big mistake and drove the M5. I loved it! It made the 540i I drive--a great car by any measure--seem a little grandmotherly. Lots of kick and great handling--and that was in early rush hour traffic. God know what it would be like with fewer cars on the road.

I also drove the M3 with SMG. I did not find the SMG as objectionable as some. I had heard that shifting in or out of auto mode was like getting rear-ended. That was definitely not my experience, though it was certainly rougher than a true automatic. I never fully mastered the manual mode. Unlike my 2000 steptronic, you push it up to downshift. I kept wanting to do the opposite. It also redlines at different rpms in different gears. I did not feel the car had that much kick (no comparison to the M5). Whether that was due to the car design, the particular car I drove, or the fact I had not gotten used to the SMG, I could not say for sure. I think some of the low 0-60 times could be due to the paddle shifting on the steering wheel which would save a lot of time in shifting. In other words, the car needs less zip to get to 60 in a given time with paddle shifting than a car without paddle shifting.
    ...what's it going to be?

My vote is of course the M5. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blamiblami Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have just purchased a slightly used 1998 540i with 36,000 miles on the odo. The car is equipped with the standard suspension with 16" wheels (Conti all season tires), and automatic transmission.

The car will be used 90% of the time on public roads (in the Pittsburgh area that means bad roads with plenty of potholes and frost heaves).

I do plenty of track days in a Caterham Super 7 but I will occasionally be taking the 540 to lapping days, mostly at BeaveRun, and possibly Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen.

I'm considering upgrading to 17" wheels and dedicated performance tires and I also plan on doing the Dinan engine and transmission software download.

I probably will not do anything right away with the suspension because I want to preserve a reasonable street experience.

What can I expect from the stock brakes? Should I plan on a pad upgrade and if so, does anyone have any recommendations.

Is there anything else that I should consider?

Thanks,

Bart
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    The steering wheel column on my 99 540i has been screwed up for about 2 years. The dealer replaced the motor, but to no avail. It only moves up about 1 inch, unless I manually move it up, and then it won't come down next time unless I push the memory button. I just gave up.
    Interesting that you track your car and went with the Auto/Standard Suspension.

As far as wheels go, you may want to stick with the 16" and just upgrade the rubber. Increasing the wheels to 17" (for track use) will actually add unwanted unsprung weight to your 540iA.

Good luck and congrats on your car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Test drive a CTS-V, then you will see the real difference in performance, Tourque and crisp handling.

The CTS V is sooo refined, It makes M5 look ordinary
  • blamiblami Member Posts: 2
    The choice of an auto trans and non sports suspension is not so odd when you consider that my 540 will see limited track use; perhaps 5 days a year.

The Caterham Super 7 is my serious track day car and it will be used on the track 25+ days per year.

Owning a car like the Super 7 has made me very conscious of both unsprung weight and rotational mass.

I will check with TireRack before buying the 17" wheel/tire combo for my 540 to make sure that I am not adding significant unsprung weight and rotational mass vs the stock 16" wheels and Conti Tires.

Are there any other points that anyone feels that I should consider?

Thanks.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Test drove two 530Is yesterday. One with SP and one without. There was too much traffic congestion to get a feel for the Active Stabilization but I was able to compare Active Steering against regular steering extensively.

And I liked the Active Steering. It does take getting used to (I bumped into a curb coming back into the dealership at low speed) but I was impressed. Seems like this would be an especially useful feature (along with PDC) for maneuvering around a crowded parking garage or similar situation.

Salesman says he owns a 540 with SP and doesn't switch to winter tires and has no trouble but I expect he'd have said anything he thought I wanted to hear. For example, he waxed eloquent over the heads up display but when I pressed him he couldn't really explain what was so good about it (at least apart from the fact it would move $1000 from my pocket to the dealer's).

He did acknowledge that the $1800 audio upgrade is not a very good deal unless you are really really into music.

Now I just got to make up my mind
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    "Test drive a CTS-V, then you will see the real difference in performance, Tourque and crisp handling.

The CTS V is sooo refined, It makes M5 look ordinary"

... About as rediculous a statement as has been made here in some time! Care to expand on the "ordinary" nature of the M5 for everyone?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    mbukuk... The CTS-V is a nice car. Look back above and you'll see where I point out a recent comparison test between the CTS-V and the M3 & M5.

But GM needs an awful lots of engine displacement (a huge 5.7L engine) to even begin to compete with the smaller engines in the M3 and M5. Just compare HP per L.

The CTS-V is a ton of nice car for the money. BUT it is NO M3 or M5 beater. Still rough around the edges. Performance not quite up to what GM thought it would be. Yet, a great first attempt. Will be nice to see if GM spends the development time, effort, and money like BMW has with its M line. Can't wait to see an 2010 CTS-V vs M5. Thinking the M5 has been around for about 20 years. The CTS-V has hardly been around for 2 months.
  • rmmirishrmmirish Member Posts: 2
    About to take the keys to a 525. Anything I should be aware of? Specifically, warranty items etc?
  • chitungchitung Member Posts: 18
    HI rmmirish,
    1. You need to check to odometer if it matches with DMV doc printed out by Finance dude.
    2. Check for scratch paint. Make sure you pick up your car during daylight so that you can see ANY scratch and dent.
    3. Work on every single feature to see if there is any unexpected behavior.
    4. Make sure saleman go over the features.
    5. Go over "QUALITY CERTIFICATION I (2004 5 Series, 7 Series" doc filled out by dealer's technician. This is an important checklist.
    6. Wish you have fun with your 525 :)
    While I do like the 745i & Li (from a styling standpoint) with their optional 19" wheels, the Z4 is the drop top I would get if shopping for a roadster in that price range, the E60 5ers are growing on me (slowly, I saw a beefy looking 545i6 at the dealer today), I'm with shipo with putting the 645Ci on my wishlist of $70K cars! I saw one today with vehicle mfr plates (silver) and it is breathtaking.

Shipo, I agree with you. I plan to go with the M5. I don't like the M3 that well size-wise, the M5 is more practical and has more kick (perhaps because of the extra torque?).
  • billbroxbillbrox Member Posts: 41
    I ventured into the BMW Tips and Tricks Site and saw a little article on an outlet in the glove box which accepts the male end of a portable CD player or iPod cord. I have an '03 530i and could not locate this outlet. Anyone else hear of this or have this? Please let me know!
    As I noted above, I recently test drove the M3 and the M5. The M3's times are, if anything, better than the M5's, but the M5 definitely seemed to have more "kick." I was told that was because the M5 had more torque. I have never been really clear on the difference between torque and horsepower. Can someone enlighten me?
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    E39/E46 in MY03 cars. You need to purchase the part and install it. Here is a link with more info: http://www.circlebmw.com/cgi-bin/acc/acc.cgi?db=acc&uid=&- Series=E39&Code=105&Partnumber=&view_records=Search

Hope this helps...JL
  • billbroxbillbrox Member Posts: 41
    Many thanks for the link to adapter kit. Perfect!
    -Billbrox
  • ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    FWIW, a generic comment, followed by many links to explanations (from simple to technical) for torque and horsepower.

From Smart Motorist:
    Performance - Performance has become an important safety feature for modern drivers. A responsive gas pedal allows you another option (brake or accelerate) when an accident unfolds before you. Good performance allows you to pass slow-moving vehicles on country roads, and to merge into fast-moving feeder lanes on expressways. Fast thinking and a responsive throttle can help you to avoid an accident that a slower vehicle couldn't.

When evaluating a vehicle, take a close look at the engine size (expressed in liters), the number of cylinders (4, 6, or 8), and the engine's power output (expressed in horsepower). By comparing the horsepower of two different vehicles with the same drive train and overall weight, you can determine which vehicle is faster, or has the better performance. A lighter car will be faster than a heavier one if the horsepower is the same. An engine's strength (expressed as torque) is determined by two factors, the number of cylinders and its horsepower. A six-cylinder engine with 140 horsepower will have more torque than a four-cylinder engine with the same horsepower rating.

Double overhead cam (DOHC)-equipped engines offer many advantages over single overhead cam (SOHC) engines. Because DOHC engines have twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor, they run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. To ensure against costly DOHC engine repairs, make sure you change your engine's timing belt every 60,000 miles.

Performance-minded shoppers may be looking for turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These have performance-enhancing devices that re-utilize the engine's exhaust flow (turbocharger) or excess torque (supercharger) to increase the horsepower.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/november98/torque.shtml

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43844/articl- - e.html

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic109796.htm

http://www.off-road.com/hummer/tech/power.html

http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/engine/hpvstq.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/868/

http://dynoperformance.com/article_details.php?ID=3

http://www.dynacam.com/Product/Torque_vs__Horsepower/torque_vs__h- - orsepower.html

http://www.revsearch.com/dynamometer/torque_vs_horsepower.html

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I find the next-to-last link in ewoqs post to be fairly well-written and comprehensive. The difference can be confusing especially since "horsepower" is a misnomer. Thanks to ewoq for compiling the links.
    Thanks ewog. That was very helpful and just what I was looking for.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Had it installed in my MY03 530. About $130 installed. Works great.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds Full Test of the 2004 530i is up - you can access via the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page. Check it out!
  • muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    Realizing how individualized buying decisions are, and having read many posts that discuss the Sport Package issue, I'm going to solicit some advice. I'm heading toward leaving my 2000 MB E430 behind, and getting a 545i, automatic. The main remaining issue is the Sport Package. I like the active steering, but believe that other things -- like the wheel size and low profile tires -- will not be suited to my needs.

I like to drive a nice car, with performance features, but I spend 99% of my time on city streets or highways, don't fancy a "sports car" type feel, but don't want (yet) the refrigerator effect of Lexus 430. I am inclined to NOT do the Sports Package (after initially believing I wanted it), because it does not seem to fit my driving needs very well -- would "perform," but would be "rougher" over city streets, etc. (like my wife's FX35 -- it is fun, but very bouncy).

Would appreciate any thoughts about whether I am overlooking or misanalyzing something. While it's not the $3300, I don't think I'd be getting my money's worth, when some of the non-Sport Package things seem to fit better for me.

Thanks, anyone.

Muddog
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    I would suggest... NOT getting SP. The base is at a pretty high level of performance, and you seem to be pretty clear as to your desires/needs.
    I suggest that you take a test drive over some bad roads in both SP and non/SP trim. Find a road that is unacceptably harsh in the FX35, and then drove both BMWs over the same road. One of the cool things about BMWs (including their SP equipped cars), is the amount of suspension travel/compliance for less than perfect roads. I have the SP on my 530i, and other than the very occasional severe frost heave, my car soaks up road imperfections with relative aplomb.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Mud, I got shouted down on this topic recently, but I stand by my recommendation that you can live without the SP, and still have a plenty firm and well-controlled ride.

For the record, I've got an '02 530, had a '91 525 before that, and my wife had an '92 325, all without SP, and all handled great (and rode firmly).

Now here in the Midwest, our roads are winter-ravaged, so the firmer SP ride, from stiffer suspension and low profile tires, just detracts from ride comfort, in my opinion (and invites dented rims). But the standard BMW suspension is not exactly a luxo-barge, and I think is a very good compromise between sport and luxury.

If you plan to do any driving in inclemate conditions, there is little argument that the SP tires are completely unsuitable, thus mandating complete extra set of tires/wheels, and bi-annual swaps as long as you own the car. Just too inconvenient for me, but others didn't seem to mind.

Aside from extra cost (which I don't think does much to enhance resale), and mixed reviews on Active Steering (which you'll get whether you like it or not with the SP), I don't think you could get a heated steering wheel with the SP (at least in '02), and that heated wheel is money well-spent around here. And while Active Roll Stabilization may be a worthwhile feature, I don't think it's essential, and it's not a stand-alone option (but at least it can be defeated, unlike Active Steering.) Also, I'm ignoring reliability/maintenance issues, but after all the Active Steering is brand new techology.

My post number #8418 talked about this, many disagreed, but some agreed--and I couldn't help but wonder if some who espoused the SP were in warmer/drier climes, so the wheel swap and harsher ride were not such issues.

I dare say you may hear from Riez, but I don't think he's had to deal with bi-annual wheel swaps or chewed-up roads--but we'll see (no gas intended Riez!)
  • muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    First, thanks to Shipo, ny540i6 and sdg380 for your replies. Appreciate that.

Probably a dumb question -- can you get the Sport Package without the larger wheels/low profile tires, and get the active steering but reduce the "sporty roughness"? [I realize that the "real" drivers out there think that's a dumb idea anyway, but I like smoother.]

I'm in San Antonio, so the winter wheel/tire swap is not an issue; but, like most cities, the roads are ALWAYS behind where they should be, maintenance-wise, so the extra cushion that comes from the smaller, higher profile just seems to fit me better (and I swear the rims on my MB are out of round because of potholes, etc.). But I will try both on 530's (can't really test drive the few 545s that come through, although I did drive one that a guy didn't pick up -- awesome), to see the difference.

Anyone else who has thoughts, I welcome all perspectives. And appreciate folks' taking the time.

Muddog
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    I'll weigh in on this topic.

First, if you read all eight billion and some odd posts, you'll find several lamentations on the missing sport pack. You'll also see that most of these cases are folks whose budget didn't allow them to "check all the boxes". Later, they said something like, "I would give up the 3.0 w/o SP for a 2.5 w/ SP" and such. I don't recall any posters that had the wherewithall to do it up front, chose not to, and then regretted it.

Second, the BMW 5 is a great drive without the sport pack. If you drive a 5 with sport pack and say, "Wow, I HAVE to have this", then by all means order it. But, if that's not your reaction, then you can and should live without it.

Third, get the car YOU want. No need playin' the mines better/bigger/faster/redder/meaner/badder than yours game. Get what you want, then forget about it.

Enjoy the ride,

Happy Jack
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    ...clearly, in the South you avoid the whole wheel swap issue, but in answer to your question, the SP is just that, a package, and I think the only thing you could change would be the wheels/tires (hard to say at what cost.) Active Steering is always "on", but I think Active Roll Stabilization can be turned "off', but don't know if that reduces "sporty roughness", as you say--may just deactivate the variable nature of the susupension to a "default" firm effect.

Now personally, I'd go where I think you might be headed, a 545 w/o SP, just a few select options to keep the MSRP as far south of $60k as possible--but that's the "value" shopper in me!
  • jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone know whether the auxiliary audio input adapter requires dealer install, or can you install it yourself? (See Srfst's post #8474 above).

Thanks.

J
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    ooooo, considering how most edmunds reviews of BMW cars are like BMW was created by god, this one really is a slap in the face. I still like the 5 overall if i overlook parts of the tail.

ksso
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    The kit comes with very detailed install documentation and should take 90 minutes max. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, purchase the adapter and have a local auto audio shop do it. Their labor rate is much lower than any BMW service dept.

Hope this helps....JL
    I think that the Edmunds review of the E60 530i is quite fair given all of the controversy the new car has generated. The one thing that struck me was the slow acceleration numbers that they posted, 7.2 seconds to 60? What's up with that? I thought the new car was supposed to be slightly lighter than the old one, and as such, should be faster.

The posting of the new article reminded me that I had taken issue with some of the factoids from the previous article titled, "BMW 5 Series - The Best Car in the World?" According to my E-Mail to the powers that be at Edmunds dated 22-Jan-2004, the original version of the article said, "Then in 1968 BMW introduced the large "E21" (its designation inside BMW) sedan powered by a new range of inline six-cylinder engines and sold as the 2500 when equipped with a 2.5-liter version of the six and the 2800 with a 2.8-liter displacement."

In my E-Mail I wrote, "It is my understanding that the E21 BMW model designation was assigned to the 3-Series range of cars between 1975 and 1983. As for the old 2500 and 2800/Bavaria (referenced in the article), I thought that they were designated E3."

On 26-Jan-2004 I received the following reply:
    "Dale,
    You've got a sharp eye. Indeed the "E21" designation was for the 3 Series, not the 5 Series. We will make the correction.

Thanks.

John DiPietro
    Road Test Editor
    Edmunds.com"

Sure enough, upon checking the article I see that they have substantially re-written the paragraph regarding the 5-Series ancestors. Unfortunately I don't think it reads as well as the original layout (minus the incorrect factoids of course). I guess that's why they get the big bucks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    quote:
    "Because DOHC engines have twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor, they run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently."

That may be a typo from you, I suppose. DOHC has very little to do with number of valves comparing to SOHC. DOHC has twin cams to control valves, one for intake valves, the other for exhaust valves. SOHC use a single cam to control all valves. Due to separate control of valves, DOHC engines are able to obtain better performance by tuning valve timing more optimally than SOHC counterparts. For example, many I-4 engines have 16V no matter that are SOHC or DOHC. However, it is likely to have less valves on SOHC engines than on DOHC, which makes sense from cost point of view.

I hope no one got confused from reading #8476. Just FYI.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    muddog. Test drive one with and without the Sport Package. That is the only way you'll know.

Believe joatmon is absolutely right. Can't remember anyone bemoaning having the Sport Pkg but have read a lot of posts from buyers who regret not having it. And posts from 2nd or 3rd BMW buyers who didn't have the Sport Pkg on their first car but do have it on their subsequent car(s).

At least for the E38, E39, and E46 the Sport Pkg is a must! Only time will tell about the E60 and E65, but if history repeats, the buyer who loves to drive will get the Sport Pkg.

I live in the snowy/icy midwest and loved my 540i6! No problems with ride or wheels.