Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Anyone else have a problem with the door handle on the rear sliding door (not a power door) on driver's side? Ours is broken, again, after having it repaired in November 2002. Because it's a 2000, the warranty expired in March of this year. I saw Ronr8's posting in April 2002 but that's it. Door opens from inside but the handle is sort of popped out. Any suggestions on (i) whether I'll get Mazda to step up because it's the same problem as was fixed under warranty or (ii) whether this is hard to fix would be appreciated.
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I have an '03 and only smelled the sulpher smell for the first few days. Our van had 10 miles on it so there was a lot of "breaking in" going on. The smell has not returned and it's been over a month since I bought my MPV. It now has 1900 miles on it.

If I remember correctly too, the sulpher smell was not a problem but more of a nuisance.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Yep, they discovered the "reformulated" chemicals in the gas cause cancers. It pollutes ground water also. California has dropped it. Now Arizona is in process of dropping. Yep, the wacko enviros and their junk science will kill us all if we listen to them!!! (Remember the Global Warming Scam?)
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I have an 03 LX with 4K miles on it. I've noticed lately that with the dial set to the coldest setting, vent on with no fan, that I get a burst of heat out of the dash 'defrost' vents on acceleration...50% of the time?! I do not have the fan on and have the vent setting at front and feet or front only. I also get a slight wiff of the eternal sulfur smell too.

Anyone else experience this yet? Our temps are in the high 60's now...if this keeps up it could be more uncomfortable as temps go up.

One other nagging thing; has anyone noticed how easily the headlight lenses scratch? They are so large and smooth that they show scratches easily. I use soft cloths with windex, etc. and they still are showing scratches. Can't wait to see them after 50K miles!!

Otherwise, I still love my MPV.
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    It is correct that the MTBE additive has caused a lot of problems. Please clarify if the rest of your statement is just a very bad joke or an appalling display of ignorance. This is a forum were information is valued and shared.
  • sidiggiesidiggie Member Posts: 19
    My 2002 MPV has 17,000 miles and still stinks of sulfur. I have not seen many posts on this subject lately. Has the smell lessened or is everyone else used to it?
  • gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    Many of the radio lights are burned out so it's merely impossible to see some of the buttons at night. How can I replace them ? I asked my dealer and he said it was much too complicated so instead, they replace the WHOLE RADIO... Since my '00 MPV warranty is now over, I don't want to pay for a new radio !

Any solution ?

Silver Driver
    I don't get the sulfer smell. I will say for the first few days after I purchased my MPV and also during our test drive, I did smell a slight odor.

My husband felt it was due to engine break in. Many people don't believe that today's engines need a break in period and many dealers are stating there is no need for break in oil. However, I disagree. Driving a new car at variable speeds especially on the highway is necessary for proper break in. At around 1,500 miles the first oil should be changed and then every 3,000 miles after that. There's alot of burn off going on in a new engine which can contribute to certain smells.

Could this be the reasons why some folks continue to get the odor and some don't? Don't know. Does the MTBE in gas contribute to these odors and other issues. I believe it does. Why some folks complain of it and others don't could be on location. For example CA has different laws pertaining to car emissions and gasoline additives. What about different gasoline suppliers. Are certain brands of gas better then others? Could it be the Octane. I use a mid grade because I feel the engine performs better. It's just my opinion.

Does anyone out there have any answers to some of my questions?

Thanks!

Lsinc

Again, my 2 cents and that's all it is!

Lsinc
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Hey Silver Driver!!

I'm not certain that you can replace the lights, so your dealer may be correct. I know some Japanese market folks figured out ways to change the colors of the LEDs, but I think that was just w/films and not replacing bulbs. So, w/o stepping out on a limb (and not for my personal gain, keeping w/in TH rules and all that, Steve)... I could help you out if you can't find a way to replace the lights, via email. ;)

/java
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Have never had it on our 02 LX. 11,000 miles.

Mark.
  • eddie777eddie777 Member Posts: 33
    From what I've read, the most common cause of the sulfur smell is the brand of gas you're using. This seems to affect a lot of different models but the MPV seems a little more suseptible to it. I think the easiest (and cheapest) thing to try is to just switch brands for a few fillups and see if that helps.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    My MPV has 133 miles on it. No sulfer smell. I stuck my nose in the exhust pipe and didn't smell anything.
    Also, no vibrations, no rattles, very smooth tranny shifing, no oil drips, quite smooth brakes, very quite responsive engine.
    Zoom Zoom!!
    Ok, first 100 mph now your sticking your nose in the exhaust pipe!! I know you like your MPV but seriously, keep your nose where it belongs and not in the exhaust pipe! ;o )

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Lsinc

Zoom-Zoom! Wanna race??
    Been a bit since I posted...last was on this link and nobody replied. Actually, it was a week before anyone even got on this link again after me. Back to my question on the heat coming in under the steering wheel?
    Anyone have that issue, with the thermostat dial on cold, outside air set coming in, vent set to dash and no ac turned on. Our temps hit the 70's here in MN. over the weekend and it got oppressive in the drivers seat without the ac turned on!! It really happens on start up from a stop after the unit has been sitting for a bit.
    I can put my hand under the steering wheel and feel the heat coming through. Sometimes it blasts in through the Defroster vents too.

Would love this extra HEAT in the winter here, but not now!!

Also, anyone notice how the headlight lenses scratch easily? I mean, I wipe with wet terrycloths and they still are starting to mark up.

The sulfur smell is really only once in a great while. I WISH I could hold onto the NEW CAR smell though. It's starting to fade away...booo-hooo.

Ok, let's wait and here some replies again;-))

Isinc, I know you're always covering the threads well and good for some lol's.

Otherwise, 4.8K miles now and still love the unit - Zoom-Zoom.
    I'll take a stab at this, but it's only a guess. When you drive for a while, obviously, the engine and coolant get hot. When you shut off the engine, and go shopping or whatever, that heat has to dissipate to somehere, and the coolant holds it heat well, being 50% water. Also, the air in the heating ducts just sit there, insulated and hot, waiting for you to return.

When you come back to the van, loaded down with Gucci bags (or Walmart, lol), and crank up the van, the blower motor kicks in, and out comes the hot air! I'm not sure why you feel it under the steering wheel is, that maybe there's a vent there (I've not looked, but the MK-I vans did), or a joint in the ducts in the dash has come loose, b/c they're just thin plastic tubes.

Re: new car smell, you can pick up air fresheners that will give that to you, at Walmart and other fine stores.

The headlight lenses, being a plastic-like material, are going to scratch. I know some people that have used mild compounds, or Klasse even, to remove or fill the scratches in.
    I have had the same thing happen with my MPV. The vent always seems to blow hot air if I keep it on outside circulation. I have never felt under the steering wheel (sounds a little kinky)to see if warm air is blowing out of that area but will try it later when I go out and I'll report back. Try placing it on inside circulation and see what happens. I generally don't use my vent much only because I have the moon roof. So if the air isn't on then I use the moon roof and rear windows down. It's a nice breeze. In the old days, it was 4/70 and that was the best you could hope for! (4 windows down and 70 mph).

Heres a question: Does anyone who has the moon roof ever worry about birds flying over head? We all know how birds are and I was just curious. It hasn't happened to me, but considering that the MPV has a huge gaping hole in the roof for the moon to shine through, it was something that I thought of. Ok, ok, no I don't get out much! Sheesh!

Headlight lenses......Frankly, I haven't washed my MPV yet ("the crowd is in disbelief and Lsinc slinks away in shame"). I had the dealer detail it but it is due for a bath and I'm in a quandry as to wether I should wash it myself (yucko) or take it down to our local detailer and have it done. I'm actually afraid (yes, I'm a chicken) to take it through the car wash. Don't want to damage my MPV that I have to drive until my 7 year old goes into college! (Yuppers, the realities of being married to a financial analyst!) So with that entire disertation that you really needed to read through (not) the answer is No, my headlight covers are not scratched. Check back with me in 11 years. Not only will I have scratched lenses but I'm sure I'll be missing some parts as well......I mean the car, NOT ME!!!

New car smell.......I not only lost my new car smell but in it's place have a horse stable smell to mine! My 10 year old rides horses so my every waking moment (except when she is in school) is spent at the barn. Maybe I should market an air freshener "Horse Barn Smell" and see if anyone buys it! }=o ]`

Luckily, I thought this all through and placed plastic on the floor of the van with thick matts to protect the carpeting. =o ) Sometimes I even amaze myself!

Ok, I think I hit all of the questions and even answered them with some semblance of accuracy? LOL, I stayed out too late last night....zzzzzzzzZ

Just over 3k and still loving my MPV that hauls $#@#$% on the highway and handles like a Corvette! Yahooooooooooooo! Zoom-Zoom!

Lsinc
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is mostly outgassing chemicals - better to open the windows (and moonroof, but watch for birds!) and let it air out.

I hauled some cedar fencing the other day; van still smells good.

Steve, Host
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Turned 46K in '01 "Red" last week. Happened to glance at the odometer when I was accidently cruising 80 out of town. Mine just wants to cruise at that speed - very stable.
    "Finally" have a problem. Of course, it might have been self abuse... I replaced my air filter with a generic three weeks ago (the only one Auto Generic Supply had) It was like Fred's Fantastic Famous Filter Fedora - or something like that. My gas milage went down ~ 3 mph. I pulled the filter back out thinking I put it in backwards, upsidedown, sideways (martinis do that to me...) but it was correct. I'll check with Mazda or what was the other one - K&N? Are some of you still running with that one? Any insight?
    At any rate, my wife still enjoys jumping out of her '00 Sienna and sneaking off in the MPV. "That's a fun car to drive" is always the comment.
    1. After we stop in our 02 LX for a period of time, we also experience what seems like a long period until it blows cool. However, it does cool. Perhaps there is an issue with the temperature selection dial? All the way to cool may be incorrect?

2. We always use Baking Soda to remove the "New Car" odor. Generally, two pie plates on the front floor pans with one box each. Remove each morning prior to work. Change every 2-3 days for a week or two. It should help.

If you have a garage, park the auto with the windows down for the first two weeks.

Mark. : )
    K&N is the other supplier. Your favorite, non-Generic auto supply house should have them, or K&N directly. I think the dyno-proven hp gain is 50hp for that... 50 more if you have a 'Zoom Zoom' decal on your ride. No, seriously, I don't see any measurable improvement, although I like K&N's products, and you can clean, re-oil and reinstall the filter, for the life of your car.
  • mlbaron27mlbaron27 Member Posts: 3
    Okay I know I'm a woman and for some reason that make the service department think I don't know anything about my car.. Well the transmission is slaming into gears and the check engine light came on that's the first time with only 155 miles. The second time we had all five of our children in the car the check engine light came on and they said to drive the car so we did. But then the over drive light was on and the check engine light,but the over drive light was flashing.. 400 miles .. So know the MPV is at the dealership again.. Funny thing is we used to own a ford windstar and we traded it in for the MPV.. Our rental car is a ford windstar.. thanks for listening any advice please... Melissa
    Ok, I went out today and it was around 80 degrees outside. Great day! But anyway, the vent was fine. It was blowing the hot air from outside because that's what the air was "hot". In any event, I reached under the steering column and no hot air. I then proceeded to turn on the a/c. I'm a whimp and hate to sweat! =o )

Lsinc
    They do make a real nice Oil Filter. Filtration down to 15 microns, and 12gpm flow rate. Was the top filter in Bob's most recent tests.

Mark.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    We just got our MPV in late Feb, and the check engine light came on last week. They said it was the throttle linkage sensor, and they (Mazda) knew all about it. I didn't want to drive the van with the light on. Roadside assistance took great care of us.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    My three year old thinks it's fun to climb up on the back of the MPV and pull the rear windshield wiper down so that it is pointing down. Problem is now the windshield wiper doesn't turn. Seems to have no tension. Any suggestions on how to get it to work again that don't involve bringing it back to the dealer would be appreciated. I think the motor is running but the arm doesn't move.
    You may try tightening the nut that holds the wiper arm on. Just lift the small cover off of the wiper arm, near its base, and you'll find a small nut. IIRC, it's a 10 or 11mm nut.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    try duct tape...

For the MPV, try what doc said.
  • kdt82002kdt82002 Member Posts: 2
    I put a CD into my 03 MPV radio and there were moments when the sound repeatedly went dead silent for a few seconds and then the music came back. Thought it might be a bad CD so I turned on the radio and it had the same problem. Moments later the sound was coming out of the left speaker only and then the right speaker only. Then the front speakers went dead and only the back speakers worked. And I did not make any adjustments(fader, balance, volume) to the radio when it was acting strange. After 10 minutes of this malfuction, the radio/cd player worked fine again and has been working fine ever since. Can anyone explain what happened? Could it be some kind of radio interference? Loose wire?
  • jolly2jolly2 Member Posts: 17
    My MPV still has a sulfur smell that's as bad as ever with 12,000 miles,and probably won't ever go away. I'm thinking of taking a loss on it and trading it in (if anybody will take it) after only owning it a year. Beware potential MPV buyers.
    12,000 miles on our 02 LX. Never had the smell.

Mark.
    My MPV has been fine. No sulfur smell. Sorry you're having problems. Other then the smell does it run ok? Have you had any mechanical issues with it?

Just curious.

Lsinc
    Don't forget that the sulfur smell is not unique to the MPV, as many cars exhibit this 'feature' nowadays. I still blame it mainly on fuel, and you could probably graph complaints of the smell by geographic region, the worst being California.

Just my 2cents.

/Java
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    At the risk of contradicting the coffee addict from the frozen North, California is not one of the states involved with the smell problem. The imported oil of choice here is Iraqui, because it's very low in sulfur to begin with.
    Ok, I can't handle this heat thing any longer!
    I'm taking it in to see what's the deal. I did the recirc trick and it helped a little. But I drove 10 miles today in 80 degree heat with the moonroof open, windows down and heat blasting out of the side dash vents ALL THE WAY! How long does it take to clear out the heat in the ducts??? This sounds lame to me. Why is Mazda the only one that has this issue? All cars get hot under the hood.

Heck, I've had cars with no AC and they cleared out to outside temp within a minute or so.

Posted 24.5MPG on a 600 mile romp this past weekend...pretty loaded down too...a positive thing!!

Yeah, the lap thing sounded kinky...but it's another story for another thread I guess;-))
    Oh, I didn't type what I meant to type.. thank you for catching my goof. I was meaning that Cali is regarded to have the worst swill, but didn't mean that to say that it would represent the worst smell issue. I'm tasting my Sketchers right now. ;)
    All kinky stuff aside........;o ) (Wonder if I should start a discussion on that?) Only kidding Steve!! :o )

I am totally perplexed on your "heat" issue? When you run the a/c does it still come out hot? Do you have the 4 Season Pckg.? I'm assuming the answer is yes to the latter considering you live in a warmer area. My MPV doesn't have the issue to the degree (no pun intended) that your's does.

Keep us posted on how you make out at the dealer. Oh and if you should be having warm, rain free weather, could you send some my way? I'm sooooooooo sick of this rain! I may need to trade my MPV in for a boat! LOL!

Good Luck!

Lsinc
    Oh coffee addict from the frigid north....... ;) how do thy Sketcher's taste?

I go now! :)

Lsinc
    When I use the AC, it works great!
    Just when I have the thermo dial to the coolest position, no fan on, vent set to ANY position....and then I play with the recirc button to no avail.

We'll be taking her in on Friday. Suppose to stay around 80 here for a bit. We have been having our wettest May in many years here too...but it's been drying out lately.
    I usually run the A/C to clear the heat out of the vents for a minute or two and then just set it back to vent. I haven't had the trouble you have.
    I'm not so sure. I was out there on a four day hop two weeks ago, and I noticed an odor?
    That odor isn't the fuel or the MPV sulfur smell... it's something far worse. ;)

I've gotta watch out for lsinc... she's on my list. >:-?
    hmmmmmmmmmm I'm thinking you may have eaten a little too much rubber when you ate your Sketcher's. Try to keep thy feet out of thy mouth! Hehehehehehehehehehehe! LOL!

List what list?? Bring it on, I'm ready for the challenge! ;) I'm not touching the California subject. I was in LA once and haven't been back since. That's all I'm gonna say!

My job is done here, I go now!

Lsinc (AKA: Trouble Maker)

P.S. I see there is quite a line forming in back of me for the trouble maker title. =o +
    I'd tell you but the post would be deleted. ;)

As for much needed content... old Mochavan will be in the shop for some much needed repairs... bodywork, that is. Someone was kind enough to graze the front bumper, so it, and the front fender are getting fixed. So, it'll be looking almost as good as new soon!
    Post it anyway! Let's get Steve all riled up. Besides, it's getting too quiet in here. ;) LOL!

It must be the time of year or something but someone was kind enough to hit my mother's car in a parking lot and take off. She has a huge dent in the front left fender of her car. Then, yesterday a.m. I was on my way for COFFEE (yipppeeee). Some lady decided that not only would she tailgate me but she wouldn't keep her eyes on the road. I stopped for a traffic light and she almost didn't! She slammed on her brakes and skidded left, right and back again before stopping a hair from my bumper! Sheesh, then she made it seem like it was my fault! My MPV is only 2 months old and I would not have been a happy camper.

Ok, gotta go! COFFEE run needed! LOL!

Lsinc
    Just wait till you get that first ding, Leslie. And no, it won't be justifiable homicide, btw. The lady (not referring to women drivers...) that hit the van worked in the dw's building, and actually sought my dw out to tell her that she hit the van, and that she'd pay for the damages... which she already did, after I got her an estimate at my favorite bodyman's shop. I was quite impressed that she didn't just schlunk away, as slight as the damage actually was. Still, it cost her more than a good set of snow tires (which she didn't have).
    Okay, I'm finally, after almost 34k miles having an issue that's annoying me, aside from that ghastly resale value problem(tic).

I keep feeling a nasty 2-3 shift, and it's reproducable. If I've been driving (somewhere remotely near the speed limit) on the freeway, take an exit, and accelerate, under moderate loud-pedal input, up a hill from that light, the 2-3 shift feels like the tranny is confused, and actually pauses between shifts. It's a bit freaky, considering I'm out of warranty. I figure, being an electronic AT, it knows I'm going up a hill, and shouldn't go through the fuzzy logic learning curve. This only started recently, btw. Hmmmmm, time for a 2004?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you move from Alaska Java? Gonna try the usual flush/fluid change and see if it helps the bumpy shifts?

I'm in TN driving my mom's '92 Protege this week (I think that's why Lsinc is picking on me <g>). It has 77,000 miles on it and zooms around pretty good.

Steve, Host
    Watch the Cali comments and I'll bite my tongue about not knowing what snow tires are.
    It's free, and it's a way. We won't talk about the motorcycle cop I 'met' recently. ;) My dad took his jetski out for the first time, up at Cascade, (you know where that is Steve?) last weekend. You missed a nice weekend back home... uh <content> you can easily pull a couple of jetskis w/an MPV. I even have the brochure showing a happy family doing that! <problem content> But, towing puts extra strain on the transmission, so don't overdo it. ;)

Don't worry Steve, I'll be good and not hawk over here.
    When I had my first oil change done on my MPV, they gave me a loaner car for the day. I was also having a detail done...on the car. :) So anyway, my loaner was an '02 Protege. I scared myself driving it. Hit the accelerator too hard and the thing would fly! I also felt like I was sitting on the ground but that's beside the point. Cute car.

By the way, I saw an '04 Sienna today and it was coming towards me, in it's correct lane I might add, and I couldn't believe how low the roof looked. With the bulging headlights it almost looked like a squished bug! Sorry to those of you who like the '04 Sienna but I find the front end ugly. Anyway, not that it has to do with any MPV problems but I just thought I would add it in.

Attending any camp fires in TN Steve? If so, don't get burned and by all means stay away from female doctors wielding pins. Rum and Coke is also a danger and could lead to "subpar" ratings. I have heard that a combination of all of the above can also lead to the need for higher rpm's and it could hurt your mileage. }=o +

Just so I'm staying on subject, I actually have an MPV problem. I like it way too much!

Ok, I'm going! If it makes anyone feel better, I have a $%$#$%^ cold which I caught from my daughter! UGH!

Lsinc
This discussion has been closed.