Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    Check out the pads here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm

Hope this helps....JL
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I just was in my dealership to have a quick lubrication job done on my E39 squeaking clutch. 30 minutes job. By the way, I have only 9k on my car...little concerning to have a squeak at this point. Anyway, they had a brand new E39 M5 in the showroom with E60 530 next to it. I tell you, I tried to look and look and I just could not find the way to like it. The E39 is a clear winner in my heart. I don't want to create any angry replies, just MHO. regards
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thanks for the link, I think I might avail myself of the Zeckhausen CDV replacement service. Regarding the brakes, here are two links to the PBR/Axxis pads, the first for the ones that I have on order for my car, and the second for the ones that you are running on your car:

http://www.axxisbrakes.com/od.htm
    http://www.axxisbrakes.com/dp.htm

or

http://www.pbrbrakes.com/od.htm
    http://www.pbrbrakes.com/dp.htm

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well, after about 250 miles I can definitely say that by rotating the tires on my E39 530i SP (front to back, same side), I have temporarily eliminated at least 95% of the wuh-wuh-wuh tire noise of my Michelin Pilot-Primacy tires. ;-) At very low speeds, like less than 20, and on certain crowned roads, and if I turn off the audio system, I think I can just hear the wuh-wuh-wuh. The flip side of course is that prior to the rotation, I could easily hear the noise all of the way up to 80, where it was finally drowned out by all of the wind noise.

From what I could see on my tires, I don't think it is worth it to rotate them in an attempt to extend their useful life, however, to quiet them down, it's WAY worth it. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • joe91joe91 Member Posts: 14
    I have been monitoring this site for several months,and granted, I have not read everything. I finally "jumped in" with a few comments of my own after I recently bought my new 530ia E60. I think I have observed (from myself and from others) statements biased based on which 5-series one currently owns (or plans to own). Those who like the E39s have every reason to be very happy. They are beautiful and great cars. Those of us who own E60s also have every reason to be happy. They are beautiful and great cars. So, let`s each pick the bimmer (or whatever) we like, and let us all enjoy!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    nice job on your wheels! You're an animal!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

For the most part I agree with your post, however, it misses one point. What about those of us who have E39s that will be coming off lease in the next year or two who cannot stand the look of the E60? IMHO, we are being told to look elsewhere. :-(

By the way, congratulations on the new ride. What other options did you get besides the automatic? SP? Xenon? Premium Audio?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks! Growl, snarl!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wow, Shipo, since the way one feels about a car design is very important in a car purchase/lease and since you don`t like the E60 design, you will face a dilemma when your E39 lease expires. I don`t see the new design the way you (and some others) do, so I hardly know how to advise you. I do, however, respect your view. The new 3 (4) series will be out soon, and sounds pretty interesting. Since you are a bimmer devotee, I hope that somehow you won`t have to look elsewhere. (What does IMHO mean?)

Thanks for the congrats. My E60 is a 530 with premium pkg., steptronic, adaptive xenon headlights (which are great), cold weather pkg., & satellite radio prep. FYI, from my local dealer I got $1800 off MSRP which is no steal, but which was the best price within a 180 mi. radius. It`s titanium silver w/black leather. I`m enjoying the 3.0 torque compared to the 2.5s I`ve had in the past (`90 525ia, `98 325cic) plus the `03 325cic which my wife drives and loves. On three 0-60 runs, we got 6.9, 7.0, and 6.9 with the 530. Good enough for me!! Also, FYI, I personally do not like active steering (except maybe when parking), so I did not get the sport pkg. Some friends do like it. (Why is it necessary???) I really like my 138 wheels, but I don`t like the all season tires which came on them ... incompatible with a sport sedan, I think.

Best regards!
    PS: Your wheels look great!!
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I agree with Joe91 and other previous posts. All what counts is whether you are happy with your decisions. This applies to purchase price, package options or model numbers. Enjoy the ride. I'm wondering how you got the below 7 0-60 number with auto transmission. I believe Edmunds tested it for 7.2 w/ stick but probably someone will correct me. By the way, I can't understand why lighter E60 would have slower acceleration than E39. I believe E39 5spd tested with 3 liter for 6.5.
    Regards
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    In My Humble Opinion

-Paul
    Thanks, George94. I don`t know if it affects the "times", but I did all three of my 0-60 runs with steptronic in sport mode. I have seen "rag mag" tests show 0-60 steptronic times from 6.9 to 7.4. BMW claims 6.9, but usually one doubts manufacturer "stats". One would think that with the same engine and almost 200 less pounds, that the E60 would not be slower than the E39, but I guess suspension, air flow, gearing, options, the extra inches in length, width, wheel base, etc. could affect the outcome. Since I don`t normally drive that way, it really is of no significance now that I made my choice and laid down my $!
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I thought I saw a reference on here the other day to down loading and owner's manual for the E60. Can you do that? Anybody know the URL or is it somewhere on the BMW NA site?
    with the owner's circle and register your car, I believe you can d/l the manual for it. That is what I did for my 3.

-Paul
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I am currently in the market to replace my 01 330i when the lease is up in August. I find that the new 530's look is growing on me so I am putting it in the mix.

Two of my friends own the 7 series and both are having nightmares (can you say "lemon law"). I was a bit hesitant on the 5 because of the I drive. Are you new owners experiencing any of the 7 type issues that I've heard about first hand?

Also, two attributes have become very important to me as my driving habits have changed due to a new job and much more time in the car.

They are 1) a Quiet car

2) a very good sound system.

I have read that the db rating of the 5 is very low so the car seems to be a quiet ride.

Also, the reviewers say that the logic 7 rivals the Mark Levinson on the Lexus 430 which is to my ears the best sound system in any car that I've had the pleasure to hear.

I appreciate any and all comments/feedback on above.

Thank you in advance.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    topspin628... If your biggest buying considerations are quietness and sound systems, you really might want to consider the Lexus GS300/430, Jaguar S-type, Lincoln TownCar or a Cadillac Deville. Don't think BMW has either at the very top of their product design consideration lists, at least not for the 3 or 5 Series.
  • banglenotbanglenot Member Posts: 31
    So, I took my eyes of the road for a second, and looked back to see I was climbing up the tail of a (now) stopped '92 Grand Marquis. Slammed on the brakes, they worked well but not well enough, and I hit the guy's bumper at less than 9 mph (no airbag deployment). I figure it was 5-7.

Anyway, damage: his 1990 american boat with 1980's design (and cast iron engine) had a scuffed bumper, and his tailpipe was pushed forward into his muffler and inch or so. Scratch on the bumper (visible beneath the dirt).

My '04 E60 has a destroyed bumper, hood, kidney grille, left front quarterpanel, left headlight and a slight deformation of the left radiator mounting. My car drove away...but that's a $4000 repair, I estimate, on my E60.

I mention this only to let you all know how fragile the E60 nose is. Aluminum is nice, but it doesn't take much to smash it all to h*ll.

On my way to the bodyshop, checkbook in hand. Unless you want some serious $$ outlay, better hang back from the car in front of you....unless it's another E60...

Cheers---
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It's not only BMW, any car maker getting into alumininum frames are facing the same thing. I myself am very leery of aluminum bodies.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I would think in a crash you would want your car to crumple, because this would absorb the force of the crash, thereby decreasing the force exerted on the passengers. If the car was too rigid, the passengers would feel all of the hit and increase the chance of injury.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    this is true in a serious crash, but when you just bump someone or if someone bumps your car when parallel parking and caves in a quarter panel, you start longing for the steel.
    I'll bet you the damage to your car is over $4k. There are many plastic parts that can be damaged quite easily even in the instance of a low speed crash. A few years ago I hit rear-ended someone in the Saab I was driving in stop and go traffic. There was more than $5000 worth of damage to my car. The radiator cracked (plastic), the AC condenser had to be replaced... NOw I'm not saying the same goes for your 5er, but just be prepared. As long as nobody got hurt is the most important thing. The headlight assembly alone will probably cost between $1200 & $1500.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy: Agreed. I based the damage on a 40 mph hit on a deer several years ago in my E39. Left front, flipped the deer over the top of the car. (Fortunately, that's an "act of God" for insurance purposes, so no harm no foul -- except for the deer...). Anyway, the damage was less, but similar. I'm assuming the cost will be pretty ugly, both for the car and when my insurance co gouges me for an at-fault accident. But, in 99% of rear-enders, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

pen101: Absolutely true on the 20-30 mph crashes. Then every bit of safety is welcome. But a low speed impact like this? Oh, well...

saugatak: yeah. I'm wondering what happened to 5 mph bumpers. Figured he had them, from back in '92. I had a nicely shaped piece of plastic with nothing under it. No one expects it should be a tank, but I was surprised how much more the E60 crumpled than the E39. Different accidents, of course, but it brought home how a bumper isn't much of anything but decoration in most cars today. And, as said, aluminum isn't very strong...

Take care, all--
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    topspind628, my service writer at one of the local BMW dealers is refreshingly candid about BMWs and service issues. He echoes what you say about the 7-series. Anyway, regarding the 5-series, he tells me that they are showing up with some of the same problems the 7 had although not as extensive. Says most of the problems are related to the software in various systems. For example, many 5's come in because the passenger side airbag warning shows it as inoperative when there is a passenger who weighs less than 110 pounds in the seat. The fix for this is to download and install new software which he says takes a couple of days before you get your car back

He tells me that, overall, the 5 is having lots less trouble than the 7 but, were he to be buying one, he'd wait till the 2005's come out and BMW has solved most the problems. Does say that iDrive is much less of a problem in the 5 than the 7, an opinion which seems to be shared by many of the contributors to this forum.

I don't own a 5-series but have test driven them extensively (obsessively to hear my wife describe it)and am impressed enough that I plan to buy a 545i. But heeding my service writer's comments will wait till the 05's are here; at least as long as my 1986 325eS doesn't strand me on the freeway.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    First, my condolences... I know your pride is hurting just as much as your car, as I did the same thing two years ago.

I doubt any of this has anything to do with the aluminum. It is how cars are designed for crash protection. I don't think you can design it to protect you at 20-30MPH, and not have it partially destruct at 9MPH.

I too had a low speed crash..I'm not certain of the MPH, but I had only moved 15 feet from a dead stop, so I'm certain it was under 15MPH. I had airbag deployment and the total bill was over $11K on a 4 year old Honda CRV. Not much aluminum involved there. Given my car was only worth about $14.5K, it was totaled.

It was fortunate you weren't hurt. It is disappointing, I know, but the pain will ease with time.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Banglenot… sorry to hear about your cruncher. But blame it on structural design, not aluminum. The car with the lower bumper will take the brunt of the damage. Today's cars don't match up well in front-end to back-end collisions—the front ends are low in comparison and are susceptible to the force of impact being distributed ABOVE the front bumper. And this structural design is a direct result of styling design—the wedge shape of most cars.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I wonder if the rear of the E39 (E60) can sustain a stronger hit before major damage results. Example: My E39 was rear-ended in a 3 car collision a few months back. The rear most car was a Mitsubishi. The front end was quite munched (not driveable). That car hit a Volvo C70 (also not drivable). The rear bumper was pushed forward and down. The C70 was knocked into my car, which was at a stop. The front bumper of the C70 was also pushed down and back. My guess is that the hit was around 8 to 10 MPH. The only damage to my car was a piercing of the bumper by the Volvo's license plate frame screws. The replacement of my BMW bumper cost less than $750. I was not injured. No whiplash or anything. I think I felt my seat move slightly forward with my head to prevent a possible whiplash.
    designman -- thanks for the kind words. In fact, my front bumper did ride only slightly under the '92 Merc. But, due to the large amount of aluminum, the total cost of the 5-7 mph hit is around $7K, according to my bodyshop. To avoid a massive increase in my premiums here in New Jersey, where even one "at-fault" is a premiums disaster (they may triple in price), I may have to pay for it myself.

pen 101: I think the designs of the front and back are very different, with the front intended to absorb and deflect a lot more impact force than the rear. In the case of the E60, a majority of the aluminum is in the front.

Since this is my first experience with the result of a relatively slow crash in an aluminum car, I question whether I'd buy another where so much strength is sacrificed for the sake of weight.

To all you E60 owners: I don't consider myself a tailgater, but I'm going to add a few car lengths from now on. This car hits something and it adds up real fast....

Oh, well, live and learn...
    Just be glad you lived to learn. :) Even slow accidents can be deadly if the circumstances are right.

-Paul
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    There was a lengthy discussion on this board a few weeks back about the benefits or not or AWD. I attended the Mercedes C-Spot test drive this weekend where I was able to drive all models of the 2005 C-Class. The test drive was through a set of cones in a parking lot. Half the track was wet and half was dry.

First drove the C320 sedan with SP. Handled the wet and dry sections of the track very well. The car stayed on path with minimal effort. The stability control kicked quite a few times to keep the car on path.

I then went to the C320 sedan w/o SP. Tried to drive the same way as I drove the the SP. I had to really slow down at a couple points because the car could not handle the curves at the same speed as the SP. The braking was also a challenge to get it to stop as quick before hitting the cones. I attribute a lot of the handling difficulties to the A/S on the non-SP compared to the summer tires on the SP. The stability control kicked on a lot to keep the car on path.

I drove the C240 4Matic AWD sedan. The car did not spin a tire in the wet track (even on the plastic matt at take off). The handling of the car was not near as impressive as the C320 SP. Again, I attribute a lot to the tires. I would also suspect the other suspension mods on the SP helped a lot.

Overall, the RWD with SP was the easiest and fastest of cars to drive through the slalom. The test drive really showed off how a good stability control system helps a RWD car stay under control when pushed to the limit. I did not see any benefits of the the AWD in the test drive.

The C-Spot also had a few C32 AMG on site (349HP, 0-60 in 4.8 sec) to go around a separate track that was much larger than the other track so the cars to breathe. There were professional drivers that took passengers for a very exciting drive. All passengers were required to wear helmets. The car was sideways aprrox 30% of the time. It got the blood pumping. I highly recommend it.
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    I have an 2003 540i with the premium sound package which I find lacking. Has anyone upgraded the factory sound system and with what. Does having the nav system complicate things?

Thanks
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Sorry, but I've just got to vent...
    Today my wife was stopped in a line of traffic when her 528i was rear-ended by an imbecile in a ratty(is there any other kind?)Cavalier. The brain dead moron tried to swerve to the left and thus nailed the left rear corner of the car. Hard. Fortunately, my spouse was unhurt but the same cannot be said of the 5er :( The left rear quarter is buckled, the left rear door will barely shut, the bumper cover is ripped, I can't latch the trunk, and various trim pieces in the trunk are cracked and broken. Oh yeah, the muffler got clocked as well; the tailpipe is crushed nearly half shut. My shop's initial rough estimate is somewhere north of $7000-and that's before they tear into the car. To top it all off, my wife called me right after it happened and when I arrived on the scene the perp got mad at ME because I wouldn't talk to him or join hands and sing Kumbaya. The only thing that lifted my spirits was the condition of his Chevy; it looked like it had been run over by an M1 Abram: one Bling-Bling Chrome wheel cover was shattered, the hood was buckled, the front bumper had fallen off, the windshield was cracked, and it was leaking coolant, ATF, and motor oil. As we drove off, my nine year old son observed, "Dad, that guy was lucky." "How come?" I asked. "Because if he'd run into your Club Sport he'd be dead now."
    Perceptive kid.
    you just can't make that material up:) Glad to know your wife is OK. Too bad about the 5er! Good luck!

Ouch, I feel your pain. :-(

"Because if he'd run into your Club Sport he'd be dead now."

Yup, both of my kids (7 and 10) know that if somebody was to nail my 5er they'd be in a whole world of hurt. ;-) Hang in there, I trust you know of a quality shop that will iron out your 528i as good as is humanly possible.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Thanks for the support. The shop I use is excellent-and prompt to boot. The only thing that kind of worries me is that the doofus was driving his girlfriend's car-she had proof of valid insurance but if he's not a named driver on the policy then the carrier might deny coverage. I'm expecting the worst-judging by his tatooed and toothless demeanor I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find out that he has an older brother named "Dad".
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    So sorry to hear about your wife's accident. Glad to hear she is well. If possible, let your insurance company fight the battle with the "toothless wonder." You have powerful attorneys on your side (through your insurance company) who know how to go after the $$ in these situations.
    Good luck.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    div2, take a pill, will ya? Sounds like you never have been at fault in an accident. I hope it never happens, but if it does, I am sure you will dress it up like banglenot did..."I just took my eyes off etc..." blah, blah. blah. I am sure the "toothless wonder" that hit your Beemer enjoyed the experience? Both experiences have on thing in common, not paying attention. The difference is the demographics. He is apparently white trash while the BMW owner is worthy of grey poupon? They are both at fault

Some people...

Anyways, while I am sorry for your brand new E60 getting crumpled, it has to be said that only in times of accident do people wish that they were driving a battering ram in order to avoid damage. It is unfortunate, however, the role of a car is to protect the occupants first and worry about insurance issues later. The fact that you hit a battering ram and obviously were not lucky enough to even use your bumper is crappy luck. Just make sure that they do not milk you for the bumper...inspect it carefully and make sure they only replace the skin, not the shocks in the bumpers and all the other hardware.

I am considering an E60 and I hope you enjoy your car. The sad thing this day and age is insurance companies not having any leniency or understanding, even if you have had a clean record for ever. It is like a mafia....you pay protection money and when you need prtoection, they givr you a hard time.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "It is unfortunate, however, the role of a car is to protect the occupants first..."

Don't know about that. Cars could be designed a lot better for safety. The problem is they would look a lot different. And if people were so concerned about safety, we'd see everyone wearing helmets. You rarely see kids riding bicycles anymore without helmets, at least in my location this is the way it is. Makes perfect sense when you think about it, especially since head injuries are the major cause of death in auto accidents. Would not be surprised to see helmets starting to appear in cars.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have installed a couple powered subwoofers over the years. I currently have a 10" Audiobahn in the back of the 530. Nicely complements standard audio configuration.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Did you read div2's post? What he said was that his wife was rear-ended while stopped. Why are you flaming him?
    "Sounds like you never have been at fault in an accident."

Never. But statistically I believe time is running out. There is a new breed of hit and run. Those that cut you off, slam on the brakes and then claim it was your fault. It's only a matter of time before each one of us, is involved in a fender bender.
    cmnott --

Your point about a "battering ram" was not my issue.

Don't drive a Hummer and don't expect to.

Offering to the others on the Board that the damage on my E60 in a 5-7 mph collision was twice as expensive as a 40 mph deer hit I took four years ago in my E39. One was steel, one was aluminum. So, advice to all: the E60 ain't near as strong as the E39, and be aware of it. And, I'm absolutely sure the E39 is as safe, if not more safe, than the E60. The aluminum is a design choice to reduce weight. I'm sure it's less strong than the steel in the E39. Drivers of the E60 should be aware of the difference in a low-speed crash. Hang back, 'cause you'll be surprised what it costs you.

And, I don't believe that I was "dressing up" the rearender. I took my eyes of the road (bad idea) at the wrong time and hit the guy (bad result). No dressing up, there. (Hey, I suppose I could blame I-drive, but that wasn't what I was looking at).

Agree with your point about crash-ee vs. the crash-er. I'm no different than the dope who hit div2. Different social and economic class, but still a dope. However, take $10K out of my pocket for this crash and I guarantee I'll pay better attention in the future.

And the insurance companies are ripoffs, I agree. 35 years without an at-fault accident, and the first one causes my rates to triple. New Jersy insurance sucks. Well, life is unfair....

Thnaks for the thoughts on the bumper. Shop is pretty good about these things, and I've told them it's my bill not the insurance company's. I'll be going over to see it in a day or so to review their final estimate and will discuss the bumper concern.
    yeah, but you get the cheaper gas in Jersey:) LOL!

...and mandatory full-serve too. ;-)

I had to re-learn how to pump my own gas when I moved from NJ to NH. Fortunately, our gas prices here in NH are similar to NJ. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Ouch. You've taken away the one good reason that NJ is better: cheaper gas. And as an old Massachusetts boy, I recall that the taxes and insurance are a lot cheaper in NH.

Hey -- one good thing -- spring comes about a month earlier here.....

Cheers--
    Okay, so some of you saw the pictures of my wheels two weeks back when I got them all cleaned up. The day after I took those pictures I drove the ~225 miles to the NYC area to visit a couple of clients. By the time I got there, my wheels had a nice (NOT!) coating of black brake dust all over them. Two round trips between Scarsdale and Mineola and then back home to New Hampshire and they were just as dirty as they had ever been. Enough!

This afternoon I swapped out the OEM Jurid front pads in favor of a set of PBR/Axxis Original Deluxe pads (unfortunately not the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads used by SRFast as I heard about them just a few hours after I ordered the Original Deluxe set). I'm headed back to Mineola next Wednesday so I should have enough time to get the new set broken in and the wheels cleaned up before I shove off.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Did you get a nice 6 Series flyer? I got one bound up real nice, in what looks like leather with about 10 16x20 prints and the latest 645Ci brochure. Very nice.

I'd consider one, but we picked up a sailboat instead. I'm out of the buying market for a while.

-Paul
    Yup, I got it, and it looks real tempting, however, I've just seen a couple Cessna 170Bs that look real nice, and I'm really(er) wanting my tail-dragger endorsement. I'm guessing that the 6er is going to have to wait. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ...maybe my stab at a written voice inflection didn't work too well. What I really ment to say is that I really want a 645Ci, however, I really really REALLY REALLY want the old tail-dragger. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Was at the dealer for service, they had a 645ci. Didn't have the guts to ask for a test drive :)
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    the Deluxe Plus, so you should be OK. The reduction in dust will be very noticeable. Be sure to bed the new pads in properly to minimize the potential of squealing brakes. You can get the proper bedding procedure on the Zeckhausen.com site.