Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I don't see anything wrong with saving money.. But, I can't figure out why people seem to think they know more than the manufacturer about the proper octane rating for their engine.

I don't even think it has anything to do with how much you spend on the car... If Kia says their cars need 91 octane, then I'd use 91 octane.

If you want to do more than your car needs, then it might be wasted money, but you won't hurt it.. but, to do less.. that just makes no sense to me.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    What's the compression ratio of the 2.5 compared to the 3.0 & the 4.4? Engines with higher compression ratios require premium fuel.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Many drivers believe that using a premium grade fuel is better for their vehicle and produces more power. Not true. As long as the fuel does not pre-ignite, any grade of fuel will produce the same amount of power. Save some money at the pumps and optimize your fuel economy by selecting the correct grade of fuel for your operating requirements."

At best that is a gross over simplification, and at worst, a gross misstatement! I am specifically referring to the part that says, "any grade of fuel will produce the same amount of power." Yeah, BULL. If a car has a capable OBC (like the one installed in our cars), the engine will be able to eek out the same power on less fuel by advancing the ignition timing in all phases of driving except at WOT where the engine will simply provide more power. Yes, both fuels will allow our engines to develop the proper amount of power for what ever lower power driving we might be doing; however, higher octane fuel is clearly the more efficient of the two.

Per the request from NycCarGuy:
    The compression ratios of the four engines I referenced a couple of days ago are:

2.5L I6: 10.5 to 1
    3.0L I6: 10.2 to 1
    4.4L V8: 10.0 to 1 (E39 540i)
    4.4L V8: 10.0 to 1 (E60 545i)

Folks, no matter what way you look at this, all four engines are "High Compression" engines. Please, do your car and your wallet a favor, use premium fuel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You took the words right out of my mouth. C'mon, these cars cost in excess of $40K for the most part. I don't have a problem digging for Premium Fuel required by my 4cyl Honda (2.2L w/ a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio) Prelude.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"any grade of fuel will produce the same amount of power"

They left out the conspiracy theory between the oil companies and the automakers. The automaker "says" the car REQUIRES Premium Gas. The oil companies sell more Premium therefore increasing their revenues and profits. The car companies get a kickback from the oil company for every car they sell that "Requires" premium fuel.....:)

• marccmpmarccmp Member Posts: 2
    We are not for sure whether to get a '05 545i SMG, fully loaded, dark grey with grey interior or an '05 M3 Convertible, SMG Jet Black with Cinnamon, fully loaded, or Mercedes E500 Sport, Black/Black. We have driven three of the four (not yet the c) and can't deside. I would like your suggestions on this, I have already asked multiple people the same question and they can't decide either.
    This is easy..
    1) Do you want a 4-door sedan or a 2-door convertible?

2) Do you want to adopt me?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• marccmpmarccmp Member Posts: 2
    It's not quite that easy because we like them both and we dont want to trade in a car, so we cant get both.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I don't think that kyfdx was saying to get both (notice he said OR not AND). What he was saying is do you want and 2 door convertible OR a 4 door sedan? I have the 545 and it's a great car, but I compared it to the E500 and A6. Is there any need involved here? Meaning do you need a sedan because of space for kids or anything? If not, I would go with the M3. Keep in mind though that the new 3 series is coming out in 2005. Based on what happened with the 5 series I would think that the new M3 will come out in 2006 (if anyone knows differently please chime in!). Maybe you should try the 645 convertible. Maybe that's a good balance between the 545 and M3. It is more expensive though too.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    ...I guess I'd be inclined to go with 545 or E500, both of which would be plenty sporty, and alot more versatile that a (smallish) 2-door drop top. But I think that is kyfdx's point, the M3 is really an apple with oranges in your comparison, so if you want the more narrow focus of a convertible, and the even narrower focus of a hot rod like an M3, well there you go.

Having driven an M3 with SMG, I've gone on record stating that I think you'd be better off in either BMW with the regular slushbox, since either will still be plenty fast, well-proven technology, enhanced resale, etc., but perhaps most importantly, MUCH smoother than SMG, especially during stop and go. And like Steptronic, I found the novelty of SMG wore off very quickly, so you just stick it in "auto" mode, and then the advantages of a conventional auto become apparent very quickly. If you've driven them all and still want SMG, well, different strokes, just MHO.

And while we're opining, an E500 or 545 (with an auto) is likely to be my next ride (currently '02 530 with a stick), and that would be a horse race. The Benz has exceedingly good-looking styling, and avoids the mixed virtues of I-drive, while the BMW has a great chassis and drive train, and does have a little more "sporty" image that doesn't seem quite so "old" as the Benz. Hard to say, much as I like the 5's, you'd never be embarrassed in that Benz.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'd go with the E500 if I needed four doors, and the M3 if I only needed two. I'd also consider a used E39 M5 or the upcoming E60 version-which sounds like it will be so good to drive that I'll not care about the styling.
  • driver5driver5 Member Posts: 3
    Now that is a better answer.I have 6100 miles on my new 525i and certainly don't want to lose any performance.I find myself more frequently using the S & M mode than I used to on my 528i ( I had 2 of them).I will say though that this one is "sneaky' fast even though it is a little "mushy" from a stop. And the gas mileage is exceptional. ( I still use the premium). Anyhow, I think it looks so fast sitting in my garage I will have to put up with it. I still find excuses to go someplace often because I just love the feel.I am trying a " Teflon" wax on the wheels and it seems to help a lot on the brake dust accumulation. Seems to slide off easier.
  • loulou Member Posts: 3
    Oh yes everybody conspire on the gas prices right?
    I bet you even believe President Bush directed the price increase to favor the rich?
    I bet Sen Kerry has all the answers to solve the problem.
    How about building a few more refineries.
    Environmentalist would not like this, I bet.
    with very sarcastic undertones. iT is quite difficult to convey that on a message board...I was joking!

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    The November 2004 issue of Bimmer magazine has an interesting article on BMW worldwide sales and in USA. Covers Jan-June, comparing 2003 to 2004.

For the 5 Series:

1. Worldwide sales UP from 75,625 to 113,900.

2. USA sales DOWN from 23,210 to 23,075.

Of course, the E39 had more choices than the current E60 (M and touring).

In USA, sales of E39 525i and 530i are close to current E60 sales of 525i and 530i. Biggest jump was in 545i sales (up over 2000 from 540i).
  • ltagg1ltagg1 Member Posts: 7
    I would recommend that you DO NOT buy the 525. I say this because I did buy a CPO 525 Sport Premium (black/tan) at end of last year. Car was amazing AT speed on the highway...the problem was getting up TO speed (accelerating). With only 185 hp, the thing is a dog. I just sold it 2 weeks ago because a week prior to that I was in one of those emergency "punch it or you're toast" situations. I punched it and nothing happened..the hesitation the car exhibited (car downshifted abruptly, RPMs shot up--almost to redline)scared me to death and I decided (after my heart rate came back to normal) that I would sell the thing and upgrade to an '01 or '02 CPO 530i (should have bought it instead last year) which I'm in the process of looking for now. It's amazing that the 40 extra HP make that much difference but they do. The 3.0 liter engine, in mine and many other's opinion, is the perfect match for this car. In your test drives comparing the two, simulate what I described (flooring it abruptly) and you'll see what I mean. Good luck...Hope this helps from someone who's been there...
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>car downshifted abruptly, RPMs shot up--almost to redline

That's every shift for me, and I am in a 325. The 5 is a big car for that engine.

You will get a little more umph from the 3.0, but probably won't have any trouble w selling the 525.
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    Can anyone offer tips for launching the E39 540i six speed to achieve anywhere near the 5.8 second 0-60 time. What RPMS? Thanks.
    Do a couple of bleach burnouts first-you need to really warm up the tires. Then, hold the revs steady at @6500 rpm and sidestep the clutch. Works every time.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    Your experience in a 525iA was quite different from my recent test drives of an E39 (528iA)

We're talking 300cc and nine more horses than a 525 which shouldn't make a huge difference. As for going up almost to redline and shifting so abruptly it scared you, I found that full throttle shifts will go right to redline but the
    the engine and trans were as smooth as any I've experienced in 40 years of driving.

I wonder if your transmission was malfunctioning or if you inadvertently left it in the manual mode of the Steptronic (easy to do). This would cause an abrupt shift if you nailed the gas from a low speed in while in too high a gear.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I have a fair amount of seat time behind the 2.5 liter mill, the 2.8, and even the 3.0. The only catch is that all three cars were attached to the rear wheels via a 5-Speed manual gear box. According to my "Butt Dyno", there is very little comparison between the 2.8 and the 2.5, the 2.8 will simply blow the smaller motor away. Why? Torque. The 2.8 puts out 206 @ 3,500 rpms (which is only 8 lb/ft less than the 3.0 mill) while the 2.5 puts out only 175 @ 3,500, which is actually 6 lb/ft less than the older 2.5 that was in the 1999 and 2000 323i.

If I found myself thinking, "Hmmm, I think I'd like to buy a used 2001 525i", I'd quickly correct myself and think, "No, what I really want is a 2000 528i." There really is that much of a difference in low end power and drivability between the two. Then again, maybe I'd change my thinking again and opt for the 2001 or later 530i and have a faster more driveable car than either of the two smaller engined E39 siblings. Oh, wait! I did that already, and I'm really glad that I did. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    Who'da thunk. Thanks for setting me straight Shipo. I still think I might be on the right track as to the cause for the abruptness of his shift tho'.

It's easy to inadvertently put the Steptronic into manual mode. It naturally wants to go there when you pull it back to "D" and if you're locked in, say fourth at 35 or so it'll quickly drop down to second if you call for gas in a hurry.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Regarding the abrupt shift, while I've never driven a BMW with an automatic transmission, my bet is that you are spot on in your guess. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chameleon207chameleon207 Member Posts: 1
    I, too own a 5-series BMW, 1998;I purchased it used with 30,000mi. To make a long story short; I have literally had the entire car rebuilt and the check engine light is on,runs rough, leaks water inside; replaced engine;$$$services;The ultimate driving machine is known at the dealership as the Ultimate nightmare;I and the manufacturer has spent over $20,000 in repairs and replacement parts;My advice is to dump it as soon as you can; I was so upset, because I really love the car;I purchased a 1994 Acura Legend,191,000mi no problems and it is running strong; completed major service and drove from Fl to IL, and have plenty money left over, I will never go back to BMW again;Lexus or Acura better buy and save tons of money in repairs
    I gotta tell you, your story does not line up with what I know to be true about BMWs. What that means to me is that there is a significant portion of your story missing, and that were the WHOLE story told, you probably wouldn't be finding too many sympathetic ears around here.

Shipo
    I agree, maybe it's probably an XJ6 with Roundel decals on it...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "1994 Acura Legend,191,000mi"

I can sympathsize. I got rid of a Toyota at 80K miles. For the last 20K major components were failing left and right and it was starting to run into $$$. That and three other below average ownership experiences with Japanese cars has steered me away from them. My reasoning is, if I going to have problems, might as well have fun driving, eg German cars. :)

But we all know a sample size of one means zilch. There are plenty of examples on these boards where Japanese cars get driven to the Ultimate Nightmare experience. Yet out of the thousands of stellar sales and owners, one bad experience sticks out like a sore thumb. People keep saying how they keep their BMWs for 300K+ with regular maintenance. I've never seen any car over 100K, without regular maintenance and $$$ the car is not fit to be one the road.

Good luck with yours.
    Not so fast-my 1987 535is recently made it to 300,00, but now it needs a head gasket. Another case of inadequate German engineering...;)
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    What a piece of junk. :) Seriously though good to hear it waited until 300K miles.
  • jlapcatjlapcat Member Posts: 7
    What does E39 and E60 stand for? Are these abbreviations for the 528 and 530???

Another, more important question: I test drove today, and am seriously considering buying a 530i sport/premium in Southern California. The car comes with Bridgestone Potenza run-flat tires. These tires seem to make the ride feel very rough---every nook and cranny in the road is transferred to the passengers, my teeth were almost chattering. I don't want to give up a smooth ride, and I really want the handling and suspension that the sport model offers.

I currently drive a Jaguar XJR with 370 hp and very good handling, fun to drive (no fun at service center--teeth chatter from fear there). It has Potenza S-03 255/40/18 tires and has a much smoother ride.

Will replacing the run/flat tires seriously improve the ride of the car? Or does part of the roughness of the ride also have something to do with the suspension? The dealership will only sell the car with these run/flat tires. Salesman was unhelpful/unknowledgeable.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I know the feeling. My 1986 325eS with a mere 229000 miles on it just blew out the water pump. And the head gasket; leaking like a colander. And don't get me started on the clutch. Actually had to replace the original after only 140000 miles.

Truth is, for about $3K in repairs, it could easily make it to 300K but enough is enough. Just ordered a 2005 545I six speed. Hope I get have the same good luck
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    jlapcat

New cars with run flat tires do not have a spare tire. The dealer cannot change to normal tires till you buy the car to keep from being sued.
    E39.. 5-series from '97-'03
    E60.. 5-series from '03-

E46.. Current model 3-series
    E90.. 3-series starting in '06

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    The run-flat tires are almost certainly the cause of the rough(er) ride that you've noticed. Run-flat tires have extremely stiff sidewalls so that the tire can still support the weight of the car when flat. Standard tires (even fairly low-profile, sport tires) have much more flex in the sidewalls which absorb shocks and contribute to a smoother ride.

The 5 series is widely recognised as having one of the best, possibly the best, handling/ride combinations available.
    E39.. 5-series from '97-'03
    E60.. 5-series from '04- (I know that kyfdx knows that, probably just a typo) ;-)

Rough riding 530i SP: Hmmm, having never driven with Run Flats, my suggestion is that maybe the dealership forgot to remove the extra pressure in the tires (cars are shipped with lots of extra pressure in the tires to inhibit bouncing while in transit). My first BMW was delivered to me with something like 50+ pounds in the tires. Not only was it rough riding, the handling was so squirrelly that I was barely able to control it on a bumpy road.

FWIW, I have an E39 530i SP, and the ride is quite wonderful, so much so that even the couple of elderly folks that I've had in it have commented on how smooth it was.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks!! I always need back-up...

Run flat tires suck.. (did I say that out loud?). Getting the pressure checked is a good idea, but really... run flat tires s...

Unfortunately, it looks like we will have to get used to it.. it looks like all BMWs will have them soon.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

jlapcat-I have an '04 545 with SP and it also has run-flats (Dunlop). The ride is tight, but no where near "teeth chattering". As others have already mentioned run-flats are always stiffer, and the sport suspension also has a rougher ride than non-sport.
    So I'm driving out of Chicago last night when these two guys in a '04 M3 pull up along side wanting to race. I could tell they thought the M3 was going to kick my 545's butt. I admit to thinking they might be right! So we starting going at it and I was really surprised that the M3 couldn't keep up. I know it's slightly faster off the line, but we were already at highway speeds and I jumped right in front of him, and he just couldn't keep up (believe me, he was trying real hard judging by the sound of his engine). I don't claim to be any expert on what makes one car faster than another, but I assume it's that my car gets to it's max HP faster (the M3 only has 8 HP more but needs to practically redline to get to it), and the good deal more torque that the 545 has (330 ft/lbs vs 262 ft/lbs. for the M3) which it also gets at faster. I thought that the weight difference (M3 is about 400 lbs lighter) and the fact that I had 3 passengers while he only had 1 would give him the edge but it didn't. I don't know what speed the M3 is limited to, but I'm sure it's more than the 125 mph we hit at some points. Note-definitely not a good idea to go that fast on 290 in Chicago! I supposed that he could have just been a bad driver, but we were really just accelerating in a straight line. I'll tell you what though, given how fast the 545 is I would love to drive the M5 when it comes out. 507 HP. That car is simply going to fly!
    I should also mention that I turned off the traction control and switched to sport shifting mode.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    E39: MY97-03. CY 96-03.
    E60: MY04- . CY 03-

(Sometimes the cars come out at different times in USA and Europe, with them often getting things first. Sometimes they get models, e.g., 520i, we don't get.)
    True... but, in this case... Shipo was correct.. it was a typo.. but I thought of this excuse.. LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

On my way home from a client meeting today and was in no rush so I took a scenic route - some little used country roads. Perfect day so I opened the sunroof, turned off the stereo and let the car have its legs for a while.

I don't often get to appreciate just what a wonderful machine the 530 really is. Beautiful balance, precision, adequate power and just a joy to drive quickly. I count myself fortunate to be able to drive one.
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Your comparing a 94'Legend to a BMW?? Shame on you! How could that german built car go 300k when that $40K Acura is purring along at only 190K miles? Maybe I should find a 88' Accord or even better a Legend with 320K miles and now were even..
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Hey karmikan, don't be posting things like this while I'm cooped up in my office with nothing in front of me but a commute home on traffic-choked freeways. You're making me feel bad here.

Truth is, you just summmed up the glory of owning a BMW in a few words, very well; a nice break from the otherwise prosaic writing the rest of us usually contribute to this forum.

Thanks
    Sounds like a certain type of envy. I won't say which kind it is of course...
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    There was a bit of sarcasm in the post. Japanese cars doing 300K is no biggy. Just meant that the 94 was too new just add another 7-8 years and it'll be there also.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I owned a 528i and now a 530i. And extensively drove a loaner 525i (all E39s).

I have to say that that even the 528 is much more desirable than a 525 in terms of responsiveness. BTW - all automatics. You can feel the diff and in stepping through all of them. The 530i is the best of the sixes. More power could easily be handled in this nimble config. But if all one can afford is a 525i, the dynamics of an E39 are without compare (with the right tires)!
  • mattjbmattjb Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a used 520i wonder where I can confirm if the engine is a E34 or something else. Or can some kind soul out there confirm it.
    Engine # 206KA25434790
    Chasis # WBAHB22060BB76917
    TIA.
    Good day.
    I don't understand the question. E34 is a 5 series body style (the current 5 series is the E60 & the previous is E39).

BMW engine codes start with an "M" (most 6 & 8 cyl engines), an "N" (a few 8 & 12 cyl engines) or an "S" (if the car is an M5 or M3).

If you want to find out lots of neat stuff about your car find the build sheet, it should be under your rear seat. Alternatively, you could ask your local dealer to get you a copy using your VIN number.