Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Terry and Edmunds.com TMV can do the comparison betweem the two cars. Let me focus on you.

Although you haven't told us anything about yourself: how long will you keep the car, is the "extended warrranty" a BMW CPO or an aftermarket one, do you have the cash on hand to pay for $900 emergency brake work, or cash for the $600 set of tires for the car that needs them? Finally and most importantly, do you have any other opportunities for the 8K (with sales tax) difference, such as a down payment on a house (might not be a winning idea in the Northeast) or a gold or commodity fund (the latter two are hot right now)?
  • lwhitelwhite Member Posts: 18
    pen101,

Thanks for your help. Let us know how your lease buy out goes and good luck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    There is no doubt that the lower mileage 525i is a much better buy... If you are strictly comparing their asking price to the going wholesale value..

It is more up to you, if you think it is a much better value... In the used car market, BMWs get pounded for higher miles... That doesn't make them bad cars, just worth a lot less.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The third installment of the long term test of a used 530i has been added here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/bmw/5series/100000543/roadtestar- - - ticle.html?articleId=102443&editorialpage=page002

There is a link to the introduction on the left side of the page, but all three installments can be accessed from any of the three pages.

Enjoy!
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    One of the things that the BMW doesn’t have is the turn signal light in side mirror; I think that this is a great safety feature.

I know that there is a turn signal light in the side body of the car, but the side mirror from a safety point is probably better ‘cause it’s higher and catches the other driver’s eye more (maybe ‘cause it’s in a different location).

Other cars like Mercedes, Volvo (S40), and the Ford jeep series are coming with the turn signal light in side mirror.

Lately, I’ve been seeing other cars ranging from Toyota to Nissan, to Hyundai with after-market turn signal light in side mirror.

Does anybody know where this type of after-market turn signal light in side mirror can be purchased for the BMW 5 series?

Thanks
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I am considering a purchase of the 530i. I work in the sports industry, and as such it would be helpful/convenient to have XM radio instead of Sirius- I would have use for the baseball package that XM will begin carrying in the spring....

Now, XM lists on their website the ability to wire XM through the BMW's primary audio system as long as it is "pre-wired" for satellite. Anyone with more knowledge or experience here?

Thanks.
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    Pre wiring for satellite radio is covered by a factory installed BMW option called Satellite Radio Preparation. It is a $75 option and appears to be included on many 530s. Just make sure the car you get has that option. I believe it can be used with either XM or Sirius.
    Thanks for the answer. BMW only lists Sirius as the install option on their website, but again the XM site lists BMW as a "direct install" option- i.e., it can be used through the existing entertainment system.

Anyway, next techno question- is Bluetooth standard on the 540i yet? Have read several posts about the possibility of this option post September build dates- any experience or knowledge out there on BT?

Thanks again, everyone. This forum has been extremely helpful as I attempt to decide my next vehicle!
    Your comment about "BMWs get pounded for higher miles" at resale time got me thinking. Does anyone have any data on this? Do BMWs get pounded more than say E Class Mercedes, Audi A6s, etc.? Is it warranted because of higher and more frequent repair costs? Or is it simply an urban myth that a high mileage non-7 Series will be a bear to keep up?

On a related note, I am always struck by the many used BMWs up for sale with relatively few miles on them. And not just those in the CPO proram. Given the widespread propensity to lease a BMW and the big penalty for excess miles at turn in time, I'm wondering if the odometer is flippable? If so, having a number of used BMWs with artificially low miles on them would create a disproportionate penalty for a high mileage vehicle.
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    Bluetooth is standard on the 5 series for 2005. Although it took a little bit of doing (not set up properly at factory) the service department at my dealer got it to work on my 2005 530 and it is very nice. All Bluetooth phones are not compatible with BMW's System so you have to be very careful to buy a phone that is compatible. BMW provides a list of the phones that are compatible. I am with AT&T and bought a Motorola V600. Right now there is no phone for Verizon that is compatible with the system although BMW is presently evaluating the Motorola V710 for use with its system.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I don't have a newer BMW with satellite ready radio from the factory, but I DO have XM installed using aftermarket parts from Alpine. While it is an RF modulated unit, it is wired directly into the antenna leads in back.

I'm sure the sound quality isn't a nice as an XM or satellite radio is, but it is clear and beats ANYTHING on the open air today. Pics of it are at: community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

-Paul
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Haven't tried active steering, so not speaking first-hand, but more than one published test I've read noted somewhat diminished road feel with the AS, an inevitable result of the extra mechanical linkage it requires.

And here is a quote from Autoweek's report on an M5:

"The steering is about the best we’ve felt in a BMW, but it’s not of the active variety found in lesser 5s. BMW decided the extra gear required of the active system would diminish road feel."
    I don't think the deduction for high miles is much different between the European car brands... Audi, BMW and Mercedes would all be similar... It is more in comparison to Acuras, Lexi, etc.. High miles don't seem to be nearly as big a hit on those brands..

Having a lot of low-mile lease returns available will definitely hurt the value of higher mileage used cars.

Most of the really low mile, current model BMWs for sale are BMWNA employee lease cars and or dealer demo/loaners...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    "Ford jeep series" ?? Turn signals in the outside r.v. mirrors are an interesting selection criteria! I assure you that this omission does not, in any way, detract from the driveability and safety of this car.

I hope you don't write software selection RFP's in your company ;-)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I think the windshield washer nozzles should blink with the turn signals as well. That would REALLY be cool!
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Just came back from a 5 day trip to San Diego and LA. 2001 530iA ran great, it was a real treat to be able to handle those freeways with ease.The original Michelin Pilot Primacys still look new even with 25K miles on them. They have given excellent service but in a few more months I'll probably go with something else.The total trip encompassed 1800 miles and the lowest mileage was 26.1 and the best was 29.0 ! Since the car does so well,mileage wise, I'm not going to do mileage checks anymore except once in a while. Before the trip I took my car in for servicing at a BMW dealer I had not been to but I know the service manager. Anyway, the total was $272 for oil change, brake fluid change and coolant flush and refill. Not outrageous pricing, I used to pay more than that for our Honda Accord.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Maybe BMW should adopt those old Mercury Cougar rear turn signals to augment the mirrors... the ones that blinked from the inside out to make sure that drivers were forwarned of an impending turn! That is, if the driver remembers to use the turn signal in the first place - they're optional equipment here in Georgia ;-)

Hope this little bit of humor at someone else's expense won't be taken personally... it's been a long day!
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 545 six-speed with SP including AS. I debated AS in my mind a lot before I opted for it and am now glad I did get it. Here's why:

AS makes maneuvering around a parking lot or garage a lot easier. It also make parallel parking a lot less of a chore than it otherwise would be. I've also been delighted to discover that, after a few awkward weeks adjusting to the change in steering ratio that occurs around 40mph, AS becomes instinctive. I no longer consiously think about it but just expect it. Consequently, I've stopped gracelessly banging curbs all over Metro DC.

So, if you're contemplating a new 5er, here's how you should decide the AS option. Analyze your typically daily driving. If you're blessed with lots of open roads and don't have to use garages or parking lots all the time then AS is probably not for you. But, if you live in a metropolitan area like I do and parking is tight and you often find yourself maneuvering into a parallel spot, you'll find AS pretty bloody useful.

Or, if your 5er won't be your commuter car and you have the option of only taking it out when you want to, then AS is probably unecessary.

You probably do get less road feel with AS but it seems a worthwhile trade-off if, like me, you use a tight condo garage space, a parking garage at work and spend a good part of your daily commute on the hated DC Beltway which encircles the city like some sort of preverse concrete noose.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The stuffed cat with blinking eyes that sits on the rear parcel shelf would be a nice finishing touch.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    I recently picked up a new car with active steering. After only 1000 miles of driving it is both intuitive and welcome. I started reading the posts last week and thought all the discussion was much ado about nothing as I don't notice it driving. Last night I took my wife's car out for a short drive and immediately noticed the difference. I found myself appreciating the active steering by driving a car without it. It is like a new pair of bifocals, tough to get used to but nobody wants to go back once they have adjusted.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Less road feel but useful in parking situations? Is this what a BMW is about?
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    Just picked up a 530i w/$75 pre-wiring option.

Was told by salesperson that when I was ready, all I had to was "activate" the Sirius radio service.

When I called dealer to inquire about activating this service, was told that BMW has to install a "receiver" that costs another $600+.

Without this receiver, receiving satellite radio is not possible.

I felt "dupped" by sales rep on this satellite radio deal.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Cassidym, Ajrose, don't mean to be denigrating your fine rides with AS, was only offering comments I had read since it is a unique option many of us may be considering at time of purchase. And while almost all published road tests and the like should be taken with a grain of salt, I figure that it's sometimes interesting to see what testers who drive many different cars have to say.

Designman, I cropped the quote about the M5 from Autoweek because I didn't want to appear caustic, but in total it read:

"The steering is about the best we’ve felt in a BMW, but it’s not of the active variety found in lesser 5s. BMW decided the extra gear required of the active system would diminish road feel. We’re not sure what that says about all the 5 and 6 Series cars on the road, or BMW’s respect for their drivers."

As I specifically noted, I have not tried AS personally, and would even doubt whether I'm capable of discerning any supposed difference in road feel. And for all I know, AS will eventually be in all cars, just as ABS is now. Nevertheless, it is a distinctly different mechanism for steering, and I am unclear why it is not offered in the flagship 7-series.
    Ok....I am moving closer and closer to the 530i. Test drove one, and quite frankly, my current Audi A8 doesn't compare. I've read a few comments about snow, and I need to address them from my perspective....

Live in NJ. Some winters are harsh, some almost non-existent- can get 60" one year and 5" the next. Anyway.....

I assume that there will be 4-5 days each year where I will need to commute through the white stuff. If it's more than 6", I'm not going anyway until it calms down, so for purposes of my needs the typical concern is a rather ordinary storm of 2-6", or shortly after a major storm where the roads are packed down with the white stuff.

I'm obviously going to put snows on, but coming off Quattro for 4 years how am I going to feel? I know it's not going to be the same (I am willing to give up a half dozen days to the 360 other days of the year when I will prefer the BMW), but am I going to be sliding all over the road? I live in a not-so-flat area. Minor hills, but you can't go out without at least climbing or descending a little.

My wife has offered to trade her AWD SUV with me on the snowy days (kids school is 4 miles away, and she won't be driving more than that- and if the snow is real high, they won't be going anyway!). Can I feel safe with my wife and 2 kids in the backseat in 4" of snow?

I know I'm asking biased owners for the most part, but would appreciate a little insight/advice.

Thanks!
    You'll have better stability and braking, than you had with Quattro and all-season tires... You will be giving up some straight ahead traction, but even that will be better than a FWD with all-seasons... It sounds like you have options on really bad days... My guess is you will be fine.

regards,
    kyfdx
    (who doesn't have a 5-series, but has winter tires)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    I owned an A4 and it was certainly a fine winter ride, perhaps the best and I had some qualms about switching to an E39 Fiver as I live in New Hampshire.

The Blue Shark got it's baptism of ice and snow yesterday evening as we completed 290 miles from
    Lawn Guyland to New Hamster in conditions ranging
    from drizzle to heavy sleet and moderate snow in 4 and a half hours (64.4 mph avg.). Traction was never once a problem (Blizzaks all around) although the DSC light flickered when accelerating away from toll booths. The traction and stability controls act in an almost transparent way.

Visibility during heavy sleet was a problem due to the lack of any winter wiper blades available for E39 BMWs. I hit on the trick of cranking up the defroster which does an excellent job of heating the windshield enough to melt the ice the wipers drag across it.

The insight I would offer you from experience is that there's no magic to any drive train configuration. My first fwd car ('79 Accord) was a pig in snow compared to it's predecessor, a very capable 124 Spider.

The most important component in safe winter driving is those four tire patches and that nut behind the wheel. These have more to do with getting there safely than which wheels are driven.

Good luck with your 530i.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I've driven my cousin's '94 LS400 in snow, and it was absolutely horrific. No snow tires, and I was sliding all over the road. Had to turn around after about 5 minutes in a little less than 3" of snow.

Anyway, that experience has me a bit spooked with RWD. I know, absolutely different vehicles, different and updated technology, no snow tires, etc. My point is that I know how bad it can be.

Considering, as mentioned above, that we also own an AWD SUV- and that most "family" driving in the winter will be done with that vehicle, I guess I have been comforted enough to move forward with the 530. Splurge for the winters, and I should be fine. And unless I can fit two little ones with a lab retriever in the back seat (with all of our gear in the trunk), we're not heading to our ski trips with the 5'er. I guess it's more about getting stuck from an idle position or accelerating out of a toll booth where the AWD would really shine over a well equipped RWD with the proper snows.

Thanks.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Well, it's like this designman: If you have the luxury of only using your BMW for the pleasure of open-road, real driving (and, IMHO, this is what God meant the bimmer for) than AS would be totally uneeded and you'd be a heretic for having it.

But, for us city dwelling, Beltway commuting commoners, AS is a damn handy feature. And, IMHO, a reasonable tradeoff

BTW, I feel the same way about the damn cupholders and the legions who complain about them as you do about AS and its fans. You buy the BMW for the glory of its handling, acceleration, braking and silky smooth six-speed and not for drinking latte.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'm still one of you guys. I think the E39 is a handsome car with great driving dynamics and I especially love the wraparound interior. Of the E39s my favorites are (in no particular order) probably the 1998 E39 540i Sport, followed by the E39 M5, and finally the 2003 E39 530i Sport. However I feel I have betrayed you. My family has patronized Chris Bangle (the anti-christ of modern BMW design).

Almost 3 years ago, my Mom rejected the idea of repalcing her 1998 MB CLK 320 with an '02 E39 530iA due to the fact that AWD was not available (we had a few bad winters and she like many other suburban NYers felt they HAD to have AWD) and the recently introduced E46 330xi was in short supply, high demand, and was selling at MSRP. She ended up with an '02 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro. What a mistake. Her Audi has had various recalls and a transmission problem that was always diagnosed with "they all do that" along with the fact that it ate brakes (paid fopr by Audi) and the 3 week to 1 month wait at the dealership for a service appointment (kinda tells makes you think). She's been unhappy to say the least with the car since about the third week.

SO the fact that my Dad LOVES his '04 X5 3.0iA w/ SP convinced my Mom she should look at BMW this time around. She thought the 330xi was a little too tight for her (many of her friends don't drive on parkways and such so she ends up driving all over) and she didn't particularly like the X3's styling. SO she saw an '05 E60 530i sitting on the showrrom floor and she absolutely said she loved the way it looked (should have seen the look of bewilderness and confusion on my face). So despite the fact that it doesn't have AWD, we took it for a ride. That sold her, even without BMW's famed sport suspension the car handled well, has ample power, a luxurious & spacious interior.

SO today after a few back and forth phone calls, we pulled the trigger and she'll be the proud new driver of an '05 E60 530iA with Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, & Cold weather package.

We got a pretty decent deal too:

MSRP: $50,720
    Invoice: $46,435
    Selling Price: $47,662 (bit more than $1200 over invoice)

Lease for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year and 8.125% Sales Tax rolled into the lease
    $0 Cap Cost Reduction
    60% residual
    .0015mf

$651/month

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"BTW, I feel the same way about the damn cupholders and the legions who complain about them as you do about AS and its fans."

Cassidym… I criticize cars not the people who buy them. Because there are two sides to a fence there is often contention, but please don't confuse the two :-)
    I, too, am looking to pull the trigger on a 530i. I am in a similar situation, where I've driven Quattro AUdi's for the last 6-7 years. I had a different experience with my Audi's, as I have an excellent dealership. I get Audi loaners on my A8 that's been out of warranty for 2 years and have no problem making an appointment with 1-3 days of a call. My wife leased an '01 A6, and it drove nicely without any issues other than overly squeaky brakes.

That being said.....these are different animals. I saw Audi as a cross between a Lexus and BMW- with AWD. More plush interior than BMW, and a ride smack dab in the middle between the smooth and bland Lexus feel and the excellence of BMW's road manners. BMW's interiors, to me, always seemed understated and classy. Not too much going on, no crazy gauges or lighting, etc. I feel that I am in a substantial and luxury vehicle that is made for driving.

We were swept up in the AWD craze as well. NEEDED to have it. Then when we realized that even with a rough metropolitan winter we only really have 7-8 days where there's appreciable snow, it was folly to make that a decision based on 1/52 of the year.

Anyway, I'm at the point where we have an SUV for family travel and I would like something that is enjoyable to drive. I travel frequently along the east coast in the spring and summer, and can't think of a better vehicle to do so in than the 5'er. Also, I hated the new look of BMW when it first appeared.....but strangely I have grown to like the distinct lines. No idea why...
    LOL, most folks in the NY/NJ/CT metro area have no idea how mild their weather really is. :^)

jbf5-

While in a search, I came across your mention a few months back of the XM direct install. As I am looking at a 530i, it is a feature I've been unable to garner any info about, yet is quite important to me.

Does this work directly through the I-drive and screen features, i.e., does the XM display and info appear in that form?

Thanks.
  • lwhitelwhite Member Posts: 18
    I understand BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMW AG-Westchester BMW too. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, I assume they have no cost for a 5 series CPO certificate. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    BMW of Manhattan and Westchester BMW are both wholly owned subsidiaries of BMW USA. LLC. I have no idea about their cost (or lack there of) of a CPO certificate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Think about this. Why would a manufacturer give a company store free CPO certificates just because they were a company store? This would destabilize the market, make evaluating the dealership managers impossible, and , in any case, be unnecessary since no other comparable dealer would have that cost advantage.

This is not to say that a sales guy couldn't intimate this in a sales pitch with with a customer: "Our costs are lower because we are company owned."
    My wife is out of town on a business trip, so for the past couple of days, I've actually been able to drive her 325i to work.. I'm tooling up the freeway, feeling good.. and what do I see?

E39 M5 in dark grey... Suddenly, I felt like I was in a Geo Metro.. I've started thinking that the E39 is looking a little dated.. but, all dressed up with the M5 stuff, and with those massive tires? Yeeehaaaahhh

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMW's never look dated to me. I currently have a nice front shot of a 2002tii as my wallpaper and it looks reasonably up-to-date.

I'm not sure the Bangle-era designs will age as well as past styles.

• rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    NOt that I'd ever be bold enough to dispute the opinions of the self-proclamed "experts" at Autoweek, but I've had both a 330xi without active steering and now a 545 with it and I can tell you from actual experience that at speed road feel is exactly the same between the two. As others have mentioned the advantage of active steering is at low speeds for quicker turning. I would challenge anyone to drive a car with and without it at highway speeds to convincingly tell the difference. Active steering doesn't make it less of a BMW simply because some writer for a magazine says it does. Trust the people with real-world experience! Of course, if you do try it and disagree that's perfectly fine. I just get tired of hearing about what writers that spend a day or two in cars think. Yes, it's their job to critique cars, but it's a movie critic's job to critique movies and how many of us have seen movies we really enjoyed but critics hated?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Great post and absolutely on the money. But you forgot to mention there are scores of movies the critics panned and made tons of money and scores of movies the critics loved and flopped.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I also have access to my wife's 4WD SUV. But that said, I can depend on my 530 with Michelin Pilot Alpins west of Boston. The car is extremely well balanced to begin with, so the performance snows that are available can make this car very assuring in the snow. And traction control systems work well. Another set of wheels with the snows make this very easy to deal with over the years.
    I’d like to know which aspect of “sport” active steering adds to the sport package.
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    Not sure if anyone out there has come across this one but our 5-speed manual transmission would "pop" out of 2nd gear every so often. Usually it was after a cold start but no other symptoms. On the 4th trip to the dealer over 2 plus years we got a rebuilt (there is no such thing as new) 5-speed installed and it feels fine. I did ask if we could get the 6-speed but no dice. The tranny had 22,400 miles and was never abused.

Has anyone experienced this ?

For the last 2 weeks we enjoyed an X-3 2.5 which was nice but a complete gas hog at less than 16 mpg's.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Back to tires for a second. I decided to upgrade the Michelin Primacy tires on my 530i to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Best price on the Primacy is $785 out the door (includes mounting, balancing, free flat repair, rotation and 8.25% sales tax). PS2 price out the door is $849. My reasons for selecting the PS2: (1) tirerack article on PS2 rated them very high, (2) the Primacy tires are very noisy (although they have lasted 36K+ miles), and (3) want to try a better handling tire.
    OK, good chassis balance and winter tires will take you a west of Boston. But west of Worcester?
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I'd like to know which aspect of it detracts from the sports package (which I have). Unless turning into a parking spot really requires tight steering I fail to see how active steering makes you think the car is less "sporty".
    It’s in the hairpins. AS makes driving through them more difficult. It makes steering neither easier or better, it just convolutes it.

When braking into a tight corner I don’t want to have to anticipate a variable rate of turn. Sport features should allow us to drive and brake faster, harder, easier, safer. AS makes the car less predictable, more skittish, darty when driving hard from high-to-low-to-high speeds through tight turns. A steering ratio should be constant and optimal, neither too fast or too slow. As such, active steering is anti-sport and not innovative.

If someone says they find it beneficial in slow-moving city traffic and parking situations, fine. But I doubt that anyone who is not bothered by the labor required with manual transmissions in these scenarios would see any benefit with AS. I mean, is turning a steering wheel really a chore? I would say it is about as much of a chore as putting fork to mouth. What I am hearing from people who have the sport package is that AS is tolerated, not necessarily desired.

In my opinion AS has rendered the sport package unbuyable. I think BMW chose to make it a profit center by foisting it on buyers of the sport package. They are also foisting the sport package on people who subscribe to the notion that AS is a user-friendly feature that gives credence to the new-and-improved bimmer. If anything it should have been a stand-alone option. I don’t believe this was well-calculated on their part and is yet another reason why they are losing many of us.

Furthermore I’d be really annoyed if I bought the sport package only to find out that AS will not be included in the M5. It’s an indictment. Previously the sport package brought the lesser BMW models one step closer to the M5. Now it seems they will be distanced from it.

Finally, if BMW wants to be innovative with steering ratio, maybe they should consider making it constant but adjustable. Perhaps this is a nobler pursuit that would get some worthwhile attention.

Rich545… I hope you are happy with your car, this is the way it should be. But I believe BMW needs to be made aware of dissatisfaction with their products and insufficiencies in their decisions. They are clearly off-mission as voiced by many in the press and by long-time enthusiasts.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Yes, I have been drivng E39 5-series configured like this for the last 6 winters and I live 15 miles from Worcester just west of 495.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    With regards to the 2005 E60, AS is now a stand alone $1,250 option (maybe it always has been, I just never bothered to look), however, it is still included in the SP. Yikes, $1,250 for the AS system! Okay gang, for those of you who opted for the SP on your E60, would you have checked off the AS box as a separate option if the price list were written as follows?

Sport Package: $2,050

Active Steering: $1,250

Since I have my sights set on a new E90 in another year or so, the above is more educational for me than anything else. Lifting a line from the BMW-USA press release for the E90, "The new 3 Series becomes the first car in its class to offer anything approaching the benefits of BMW’s unique Active Steering. This stand-alone option provides..." I have reason to believe that the SP can be ordered without being blessed with AS as part of the deal. Will I then exercise my right to order the AS as well? Probably not, however, I will test drive it first.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "It’s in the hairpins. AS makes driving through them more difficult. It makes steering neither easier or better, it just convolutes it."

I somewhere along the line read a review of the new $500K Ferrari where the reviewer just about said the same thing about Ferraris' version of AS.

Do I think these reviews hold any weight? No, because I believe these cars are tested by professional drivers, where road performance has to be as impeccable as can be given these are street cars. While some people may not appreciate the AS, that doesn't mean it makes the car any less of a BMW.