Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I think the Meade etx series is a great starter scope. I'd always stay away from the small scopes at $250 or less because if the interest continues which is likely, you're buying again within a year whereas the etx will give you a few good years before you're ready to move on. I thought I read in S&T that Celestron was scoring better than Meade lately though. I have a Meade 10" LX200 which I bought last year when Meade cut prices. Great scope. Before that I had a 6" scope that a friend, who is extremely technical, actually made on his own and which provided great optics but was a no frills scope. Glad you brought up Televue as I forgot to mention them.

As for my interest in Astronomy - very deep, started when I was about 10 years old and I am a big Alan Guth and Stephen Hawking fan. I keep on top of all the latest theories and developments on Cosmology and have been subsribing to Astronomy, S&T and Scientific American for so long that I wish they had lifetime subscription rates. Did you read Hawking's "Brief History of Time"?
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    Wow! You guys have given me a terrific headstart on my scope-hunting. Thanks very much! I will need to balance the spend-enough-so-it-lasts interest vs. the he's-nine-and-may-move-on-to-nearly-anything-next-week concern. Your suggestions will come in very handy.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    ljflx, yes I read Hawking's Brief History and I understand he is currently working on a new book to explain the universe on a simplified level for the masses. Ought to be quite the read.
    nealm1, I understand your concern about $$ vs. future interests. My only suggestion would be to best judge your child's potential and interest in the subject based on his current interests and how long they last (fads vs. true intellectual curiousity). If you think the interest is serious or could be, then I would urge a moderate investment vs. an inexpensive one. It is a bit of a 2 edged sword. Really cheap equipment will not perform, nor last and will not inspire the child to continue to learn. More moderately priced (i.e. more expensive, but not overly so) equipment might well do both. ljflx's suggestions were very sound and a Meade ETX90 at about $600 or an ETX125 at about $800 are good, yet small scopes that can do a lot. The diff. is the aperture size (90mm vs. 125mm lens opening) and the ability to capture more light. Celestron makes similar scopes and they all have "go to" computer capability built in. Hope this helps.
    We have it all on this board: tv's, satellite boxes, radar detectors, digicams, scopes. Is any other board this diverse? Just to complete the entertainment index I have a Toshiba sd5109 dvd player, a canon zr10 mini dvd and I upgraded to a P4 1.7 gig with 512rd ram and geforce 3 graphic card that is really something, a few weeks ago. I'm getting worried that I am about to run out of technology purchase decisions. And even with all that I'm still below the lease price differential with the S-500 but I don't count all the purchases in that basket as I needed to upgrade certain things.

The car remains my favorite though and the more I am behind the wheel the more I appreciate it. I'm up to 10.6k of flawless miles on the midnight pine (I'll get into the new LX470 next month and slow the mileage down to stay in my 20k per year parameter - maybe - I can't pass up the desire to drive this car right now) and 6k of the same on the millenium silver. My business partner who operates a business that I have an interest in (away from my job)leased it in Parchment with ecru (61.23k version) and can't believe how great it is. Like us he went through his testing with the S and preferred the Lexus. As the financial partner in the business I approved either one, but he still went with the LS430. It is beautiful in Parchment as well - looks silver in certain light and silvery white at other times.

Like you I am looking forward to Hawking's new book. He is an amazing person.

Nealm1 - I completely agree with flint on the scope comments. The right scope will spur on further interest. The more expensive LX10 can handle many upgrades for sky databases, photography etc in a dynamic way. The smaller scopes can handle the upgrades but will leave the user hungering for the larger aperature at that time whereas an 8" scope will remain sufficient.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    Have an opportunity to buy a certified 99 ls 400 - 40k miles, one owner, leased fr dealer
    white with all options (incl nak) xcept nav - dealer priced at $38,900, will sell for $35,000 bottom $ - dealer has $33,000 in the car (on trade up to ls430) plus 1200 for certification - new tires, brakes 40k mi svc done, etc

Concidering this vs $37,000 for 2000 528iasport (27k mi) or $39,000 for 2000 e320 (30k mi)

Thoughts/sugestions?
    After spending 3 days driving a 2001 MB E-430 a few weeks back I can tell you that it was far below the grade of both my 95 & 98 LS400's in luxury, ride quality, interior comfort and it had a disappointing stereo system. You are comparing an E-320 to a 99 LS400 so the differential, at least in my book, is considerably wider still. The nak is a great stereo system, somewhat short of the ml in the LS430 but certainly better than just about everything else out there that is factory installed except perhaps Infiniti's new Bose. What you buy is really dependent on what your needs are. The LS400 was a competitor to the S class not the E and is a considerably larger car than either of the others.
  • darbhdarbh Member Posts: 51
    Spoke with Lexus Customer Service, at the national headquarters, in Torrence, Calif. The person I spoke with was completely straightforward and honest. He said they were working on the phone fix, but there was no estimate on when it would be completed. He said there was a problem with reception. I said that that was probably Sprint's problem (Sprint's PCS service in LA is horrid), not Lexus. (Sprint is the cell phone company Lexus choose, for some incomprehensible reason . . . they hit the mark in choosing Mark Levinson . . . and slipped on choosing Sprint.)

The Customer Service fellow told me that he used Sprint and he thought they sucked, too.

I am not happy about the "no phone solution," but I could not be more impressed with the honesty and "no BS" I have experienced from Customer Service. To have a problem unhandled is bad, but to then be BSed about it insults one's intelligence, adding insult to injury. Lexus Customer service is a breath of fresh air.
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    Thank you for all your advice. They were very helpful. There is only 1 dealership within a 100 mile radius of my home. So, I don't have the option that most Californians enjoy. I was a little puzzled, because my sales rep stated to me that the list price on the base car with ML is actually $55,900 at my dealership. I thought it would be around $58,000. So maybe $54,000 isn't that great a deal? Should I bargain more? What do you think? Am I mistaken? I like the sales rep, since he seems very honest and courteous. I'll need to purchase another car in a couple of years, and if you tell me this guy is giving me a good deal, I'll probably buy the LS430 and another vehicle a little bit later. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank again.

And ljflx, if you're interested in more tech purchases, I can highly recommend the Nokia 8890, Sony MZR900 portable MD player/recorder, and the list goes on. Too bad I don't have the unlimited funds you seem to have. =)
    pcbrs: Figuring out the list is the easy part; just go to Edmunds' new car info section and price it out. Even if you don't buy from them, I would still call/fax other dealers within a day's drive. At a minimum, you will find out whether this guy's deal is in the ballpark. And don't be hesitatnt to buy from a dealer you will not use for service (esp. given the fact that the nearest dealer is 100 miles away).

jgwaltney: I agree totally with jlflx; the E is not even competitive in this contest. It wants to be a luxury car when it grows up, but it is cramped, the 6 is underpowered, and its level of fit and finish is nowhere near that of the Lexus. If you have been in both the E and the LS cabins for any length of time, this becomes readily apparent. And to think I actually considered buying one before the LS 430 was introduced. . . . .

As for the 5, it is a totally different driving experience, designed for a totally different market. It really isn't a luxury car in the same sense as the S and the LS. It will handle better than the LS 1st because it is significantly smaller and 2d b/c it was designed with handling as its primary goal (feeling every pebble is preferable to sacrificing .01 g in the slalom). If you are inclined toward that sort of experience -- and are willing to trade down substantially in comfort, ride, reliability, and dealer service, it is a terrific car. You will be happy. At 45 with a family, I find my priorities skewed more towards fitting everyone in the car in comfort, luxury, and safety; bullet-proof reliability; dealer service staff that will suck up to me; spectacular stereo, and very fine (B+) handling etc. Whichever one you buy, there will likely come times when you wish you had the other. If you buy the LS, it might come on a sunny spring day, alone on a mountain road. In my life, those moments are few and far between. Had I bought the 5, I would have longed for the LS every day, running over potholes and expansion joints, and every time Hans told me that I could get an appointment 3 weeks from next Thursday, if they have the parts. For me the calll was easy.

Finally, I am a HUGE minidisc fan. I have the tiny Sony (forget the model number) and I take it with me whenever I travel; it can really shrink the time between Dulles and Seattle. I am thinking, BTW, of sinking a ridiculous $300 into the Bose noise-canceling headphones to use with it. Does anyone have experience with them? Its not the 3 billls; I just HATE buying anything at retail and I dislike their marketing attitude.
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    For what it's worth, and in case anyone plans to write a letter to Lexus' US headquarters, Torrance CA is spelled with an "a", not an "e";
    TorrAnce.

...The relentless pursuit of perfection, I suppose. :>)
    I used to be in aviation and have experience with the Bose noise cancelling headsets - however - they were the aviation varietal (cost about $950). I don't know the diffs and haven't tried the $300 set for consumers. But, the aircraft version worked very well. In fact, on initial use, they were unsettling at times, making the aircraft sound eerily quiet, to the point of a brief thought about "engine out" possibilities. What I fear may happen in the cheaper airline seat version is that they will handily cancel out the low freq droning common to commercial airline environments from the engines and systems running - but that might just accentuate the noisy child or seatmate's conversation, which they will definitely not affect. Depends on what you need them for, I guess.
    Basically it seems like you are getting a decent and maybe a great deal. The car comes in several luxury groupings. There's the premium edition which is around 58k and has the moonroof, heated seats and Lexus link. The next one usually incorporates the above plus the nav/ml and is the famous 61,230 car +/- $100 depending on price changes to date and whether or not you go Euro suspension or not. Than there is the 65-70k custom and ultra lux editions. For the most part this seems to be how Lexus sends them over though you can custom order and leave out or add certain things to those packages. I remember a few people passing up Lexus link though I like its security and wouldn't pass on it. If you are getting a 54k price on a 61k car you are getting a great deal and the car must have both ml & nav.

As for my technology comment it is just that the rash of things I've bought in the past year have been so enjoyable and were such big improvements over the old guard. Satellite TV provides so much a better picture than cable in the first place and when further combined with a digital or hdtv the television viewing is almost lifelike particularly in sdtv and without question in hdtv. When I am watching ordinary tv people think I have dvd's playing. So what I meant was the enjoyment brought by that leap in quality lived up to its expectations and then some. I don't see any other products on the near-term horizon to rival it. How can you possibly get a better picture than hdtv. The mini dvd is wonderful and the new graphics card on 1+ gig pc's are amazing. The digicam is about the last thing I want and completes the technology items I have a deep interest in. Pricewise I would have spent more on an MB S-500 lease in 3 years than all these purchases combined by several thousand dollars and I almost made that foolish decision. So in a way this stuff is - as we say in the financial world - "gravy".
  • mbaudibest1mbaudibest1 Member Posts: 25
    about the car circulating air when the cabin is hot, audi offers a solar sun roof that circulates air with fans, using solar energy. it's an option on the A8 and was an option on the A6, though only on the allroad for 2001. i hear that it permits a buyer to realistically get a dark colored interior in the sunbelt states, so it is effective.
  • brewer10brewer10 Member Posts: 6
    I've read this board with interest for several months and thought I'd share my experience, since I am picking up my new LS430 tonight. In December, I took delivery of a 2001 740i Sport. Biggest mistake I ever made. In the 6 months I owned the car, I've replaced the tires, the radio, the power seat & steering wheel controls, and the differential (to try and correct a persistent squeak). Worse, many of these issues took multiple visits and I had to endure the arrogant attitude and total lack of customer service. I reached my limit, and stopped in to see my local Lexus dealer. What a world of difference! He worked with me to get out of the BMW (despite some serious negative equity) and tonight I take delivery of my new car. I will never return to BMW again. Just thought all of you would be interested in the story of a newly converted Lexus owner. I'm looking forward to a great experience.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    ljflx and nealm1:

thx to both for excellent "real-world" advice - guess it's tough to "find it all" in one car, but you're correct...you'll always have a few times when you long for another car for specific traits - but unless you're able to afford them all, your choice should be based on the majority of your opverall driving desires and needs taking everything into consideration - your experience speaks volumes about the comparitive differences, and what will likely be most important 2 yrs after you choose betw a pre-owned e320, 528 or ls 400 - esp if you keep a car 5+ yrs as i do

when it's all said and done, sounds like the ls 400 is the way to go for now, them maybe add a sports car down the road to satisfy those "weekend desires to escape" - thanks again for you comments - any thoughts on the price of the ls 400? (asking approx $40,900 on certified sticker, bottom $ is $35K) - again, '99 ls 400 w/ 40,000 mi 1-owner leased fr dealer - certifed w/new brakes, tires - fully loaded (nakam, hid lights, etc - all except nav) - had been thinking about black ext. color (this one is white ext.) as it always looks luxerious/classic - not sure about white but guess i'd get used to it

again, thanks for your help!
    I've always leased the LS400/430 new so I don't know that much about the "certified" program except that my dealer told me they (the dealers) usually only re-purchase the cream of the crop to re-sell with the certification badge. I know they re-purchased my 98 model and re-sold it within weeks for $39k (I had around a $34k buyout if I remember). So $35k on a 99 with nak and hid (i didn't have the latter) sounds like a good buy. The 40k miles is a bit high but given that it was accumulated so quickly it was most likely highway miles and I doubt they would certify a car that is less than 3 years old and had mostly city driving miles. Good luck with it if you buy - it's a great car. Just don't drive an LS430 because it raised the bar quite a bit over the previous model.

brewer10 - Good luck to you. When you've driven the car for awhile perhaps you can post the differences you see between the LS430 and the 7. Did you go with base suspension or Euro? Your experience with BMW was foretold to me by friends who have a 7 and will never buy it again - which is why I never even considered it. The only difference is they have serious engine problems among other things and it wasn't the first BMW they had that had such problems. They also hate the dealership experience.
  • harryburnsharryburns Member Posts: 7
    I was in a Lexus dealer for service in Atlanta, GA. I walked over to the used car lot, they were unloading used Lexus cars. I talked with the truck drive, he told me these cars came from an auction in Orlando, FL. I asked the salesman, re confirmed that they were used and from several sources.
    I was in the business at one time, just wanted to pass this on.
    I purchased a LS 430 in April, t/in 1991 LS 400, 140k, almost no service except regular oil changes, front brakes, 3 batteries, three sets of tires.
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    Ljflx, I believe you own both an UltraLux and a base LS 430. Have you or anyone else noticed any significant difference in the ride quality between these vehicles? I realize that some of the difference may be the different wheel size and tires.

I am also curious how people feel the air suspension compares to the standard suspension on the late model LS 400's. I no longer have my 400 but I think the ride was a lot less firm which I actually prefer.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 92 LS has air suspension and I am in the market for a new LS430 with air suspension but am holding out for Black Cherry/Ivory/Maple. I have been very pleased with the 92. I understand the air suspension was improved in the 94-95 timeframe and now yet again in the LS430.

The "air" LS430 I drove seemed much more stable handling wise than my 92 and yet had just as smooth and quiet, maybe moreso, a ride as the 92 in cruise mode.
    ikey78 - I don't have the air suspension as I don't have the ultra. Flint350 and some others on the board do so they can comment better than I. I test drove the ultra and thought it was a great riding car but I had the sport setting on at the time so it was firmer riding. I didn't adjust it to the softer setting to see the difference as I wasn't buying the ultra. The base suspension is noticably tighter than on the LS400 so there is more road feel but the ride is even better than before if you can believe it. It's actually a great feeling as you get more of a sport feel while at the same time an even better (and quieter) ride than on the LS400 which had a ride that I wouldn't have thought could be topped in the first place let alone with a sportier suspension. No way will you be disappointed with any of the suspensions on this car be it base, euro or the alternatives in the ultra with the air suspension. Throw in the ml, a spectacular nav and the great interior and this car is one awesome vehicle.
    The car I picked up had the Euro suspension and 17" wheels. Great handling and control without the punishing ride I had in the 740. Couldn't believe the delivery experience! A dozen roses and more attention tha I got from my BMW dealer in 6 months. I will certainly post again after I get some time behind the wheel and let you know how the two cars stack up. However, with just one day of driving the LS under my belt, I'm already prejudiced. What a car.

Thanks to all for the great info which helped me with my decision.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I have found the base suspension package to be outstanding....much better road feel and handling than I expected from Lexus. Everyday behind the wheel, I appreciate more and more the balance of quiet, power, and road manners that Lexus has brought together in this luxury car.

I cannot comment on the air or Euro setups, but the base is very good.
    OK then, I'll stand up for the air! I have it and love it. Plus, I can select the "sport" mode to somewhat emulate the tighter feeling reaction on the twisties. Honestly, it's a subtle change but can be felt if pressed. Still and all, I bought the car for ultimate luxury and the air ride is just that to me - like riding on a carpet. ONe of my early passengers said that pulling away from a stop reminded him of how a train glides away from a station - all smoothness and power. Exactly!
    flint350 - Now you are making me wish I had taken it. When I was in the market for the car the ultra was in very limited supply and putting a child seat in the middle of the back covering up the massage and all the rear seat goodies made it unjustifiable for me as a finance person. But on my next go-round - the Ultra it will be - God willing of course.
  • bolonybolony Member Posts: 10
    ljfxljf LS400 as a competitor to S class is a fantasy of your mind and one look at 430 can make one puke. Drove used 1998 ls400 at HBL in Virginia, with gold????? accents, what a joke, it is hard to believe that you are talking about the same car. Drove new ls430 at Pohanka Lexus ---butt ugly and no Mark Levinson or Abraham Goldstein or anybody else can save it. Will always be poor man's Mercedes. It is interesting to see how this forum dominated by constant mentioning of MB. I guess it speaks for itself---one buy's Lexus and forever talk's about MB or BMW to make yourself feel better.....
    You will never find this kind of BS about LS430 on MB S class forum, there is just no need for it, unless MB S owner is a former Lexus LS felllow.
    We welcome anyone's reasoned opinion, and value educated disagreements on this board. If you think you can muster either, we would be glad to hear from you. As to your antisemitism, misogyny (seen on other boards), and 8th-grade-locker-room vocabulary, perhaps these endearing charcteristics are valued on other boards; they are not here. Kindly find another audience for that crap.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Thank you for your input.

You're right, you will never find this kind of 'BS' on the MB S Class forum, they're too busy reporting a large number of problems they're having and in some cases, abysmal dealer service.

I also agree with you though that Lexus still does not have the prestige associated with the brand that Mercedes does, but I have only seen MB customers come over to Lexus, and never the other way around. That should give MB a lot to worry about.
    If you scroll up the S board to late last year and early this year you will find a lot of people putting down the LS430 for their defensive purposes. You'll also find a few saying you will have to load up an S-500 (to what - $90-95k?) to top it. I remember it well as I was looking seriously at the S at the time. Never said the S wasn't a great car - just said the LS430 is a better one. It's too bad positive comments on this board bother you so much. That's about all that I'll say in response to your ridiculous comments.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    You seem aptly named....
    nealm2000 we are talking cars here and not semites or antisemites don't change the topic, mister, or you find appropriate forum for it. One has to be a retard to draw such conclusions. You sound like one of those who looks in his bowl of shredded wheat in the morning and sees nothing but anti something, get a life. I think you are the first ever to bring out antisemitism in the defence of Lexus, you just want to do it by any means. Proof once and again----- one can't own Lexus and be happy....

kahuna, thats right, people report on problems with THEIR cars that's what it's for to disscuss S class for example and not other cars.
    Drove ls400 and ls430 and simply not interested in the car or posting negative comments about them, unlike majority of the owwners on this forum post about MB.
    I personally would not consider same car as nealm3000 though pseudointellectuals like him should be riding bicycles anyways.
    Please act with some class. No one here seems to knock the S-class. We simply find that some of the problems posted on that board are almost comical. Many of us almost went with the S and given the problems we see we feel like someone would feel who avoided a traffic jam. As for the problems themselves it's absurd that cars costing $75k-100k+ have those types of problems and are met with such poor dealer service. By the way I am very happy and have leased Lexus LS cars since 1995. I can also spring for an S-600 but I don't like getting ripped off and I'd still prefer an LS430 anyway. It's more reliable. You need some new theories as your current ones are unsupported by facts. Lexus is selling nearly 3000 of these cars a month to pretty wealthy people including the wealthiest person on the planet.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I am now on my second 7 series car. First was a 1997 740il, and now I have a 740i Sport. I have not exsperienced any of the problems, and my dealership is under wonderful ownership and any small problems I do have are delt with promptly. It is possible that you just got a lemon? BMW has wonderful cars in every end of the luxury market I wouldn't judge them as a hole from one bad exsperience. But I have to admit that the hole Lexus line (besides IS300) matches with BMW exactly, or more in every way.
    I really tried hard not to respond to "bolony", and truly believe nealm1 got it exactly right in his post - very well stated! But then MR. Bolony had to regurgitate his unseemly comments, poorly reasoned logic and plain off-topic name-calling. Do us all a favor sir and kindly keep your personal attacks and animosities to yourself. Your opinion on the cars in question is, of course, as welcome as anyone's, but is no more valid than anyone's. Either agree to disagree, in some courteous manner, or please find another outlet for your juvenile outbursts.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    I was not expecting to buy Ultra but after driving it there was no question that the air suspension was a much better ride. Discernably so.. therefore I bought the Ultra and life as the ride has been very smooth. The only other options I use besides the Nav/Lev is the Laser Cruise Control, which to me is miraculous. I cannot comment on the rear seat features or the cooler they are superflous for my use. Though I once did sit in the back seat and its exceedingly comfortable, what I did find strange was as I controlled the temperature and sound system from the back seat, it changed all the settings in the front seat. I thought it would be a separate control for both front and back. The AS 430 is a great car and value. If they only had the phone problem solved.. it would be nirvana.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Why would anyone on the Lexus LS need to "bash" Mercedes when Lexus is on top (JD Powers)? And Mercedes is, ummmm, well I can't see it on the list right now but I'm sure it's somewhere down the list.
    I agree with all of that. However, I have (finally) used the rear beverage cooler and found, miracle of miracles, that it works pretty well. On long drives, it easily keeps the sodas cold. My wife even put a little thermometer back there to check it - after we had lunch for nearly an hour on a hot day, it still held the sodas at a cool temp so that you could drink them. While actually running, it keeps them literally cold.

And, alas, the phone problem continues with no real end in sight.

I also agree about the rear temp settings. They should be separate, especially given that they run off of a serparate air conditioning unit (which cost me a little trunk space).
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Mark Levinson..."Abraham Goldstein" comment had racial overtones to it so don't blame nealm1 when you're acting like the "retard"...and no I don't want to wrassle with you over this...
  • darbhdarbh Member Posts: 51
    nealm1: well said.
    You are correct in that my 740i may have been a lemon. I could have actually dealt with that provided the dealer demonstrated some reasonable level of customer service. But at least in Wisconsin (where I live) there is no BMW dealer that even comes close to providing the attention and courtesy of the area Lexus dealer. I received more attention from Lexus in the week spent purchasing the car and the one week I've owned it than I received from BMW in the entire 7 months I struggled with their car. I would be the first to concede that bimmers are fine cars and that for a large car, they have amazing reflexes. But with one week in my new LS 430, there is really nothing that I miss so far. The feature content is equal, the very slight trade-off in raw handling(which I seldom called on) versus stability, comfort and tranquility is acceptable, and the fit and finish and overall attention to detail is phenomenal. I smile everday I get in this car, reassured in knowing that I will likely see the dealer infrequently, but when I do, that I will be treated with courtesy, respect, and a genuine interest in customer satisfaction. Just one man's opinion, but then, I'm not worried about pleasing anyone else - just myself.

To bolony: This board is far too classy to dignify some of your remarks with a response.
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    Does anybody know how to remove those ugly warning stickers on the LS430 sun visors without damaging the material underneath? Thanks in advance.
    ........one has to be a retard to praise the stereo of an extremly ugly car. I will take beautifull styling over any stereo any time.
    I will take beautifull car wiht no stereo and put it in myself. No stereo can save it's ugly, ugly styling--it is the word that comes to mind every time I see one. Why should everyone have to settle for nice stereo and exellent appointments and ugly, ugly, ugly styling? Styling should take priority over stereo.
    Why not complain here and now about ugly styling
    of the car?

ljfxl ----- may be if the styling were as good as the stereo you would see 5000+ cars sold instead of 3000.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's stop with the usage of the term "retard" - that certainly is offensive to many folks used in this manner.

If you have something useful to contribute to this discussion, the folks here will be glad to discuss your thoughts with you. "Ugly" is obviously a matter of opinion, and just as obviously the folks who have purchased this vehicle will disagree with you. While you are entitled to your opinion of the styling, you cannot reasonably expect that you can convince others here that somehow your opinion is more valid than theirs.

If your sole intent is to stir things up - which is certainly how it appears - I expect that the wise folks in this very respectful discussion will recognize that and follow the tried and true maxim of "don't feed the trolls."

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    whybuy, this was covered earlier and I recall that most replies indicated it is very difficult if not impossible to do without spoiling the surface of the visor. You might want to scroll up about a month or so and look for the subject on this board.

Pat Host, well said, 'nuff said - hopefully the msg was received.
    I don't recall, but did anyone ask for the full trunk open and close ability? That is, push a button from the cabin and the trunk lid fully opens and fully closes. Also, the smart key system that was originally discussed never made it into the current model. I think that would be nice - as you approach the car, it senses the key in your pocket and unlocks. Plus vice versa. Great for when your hands are full. Also, they really need to add Canada to the Nav. system. I was really surprised it was missing.

Another oddity (to me anyway) is that the rear seats have memory but the front passenger seat does not. That seat is used more often in most cases, I would imagine. Another nice addition might be the type of cover they now offer on the SC430 for the nav/stereo screen. It would look very classy in that Lexus wood trim way.

ljflx, watch out on that Fla. trip coming up. I-95 in Va. and N.c. is awash with troopers and, as my wife says, they don't appreciate that excuse about how the car really didn't seem like it was doing 80, it felt more like 50. It's true, of course, but they don't buy it.

Lastly, I found another neat little feature in the nav - you can ask for "previous starting point" and it will take you back to where you started. Helpful if you began at an unfamiliar location, went somewhere else and need to return to the start point. Starting to ramble, I'm done.
    Put the words "full of" in front of your name and you will have an accurate description of yourself. By the way the Lexus LS430 is easily outselling the S and the 7 so those cars must need a lot more than a radio. But I won't stoop down to your level because I'll gladly say all three are beautiful cars - given their size - and all three are among the best cars money can buy. Now please start acting like a mature adult. This is the last time I waste my time on your idiotic posts.

Flint350 - I'm flying. Would have drove if I went to Myrtle Beach which remains one of my favorite towns as it has so much for the family. I'm going to Long Boat Key. Have you been there and if so any recommendations. Last year I took a suite at the Ritz Carlton in Naples and had a great relaxing vacation. Lexus must have developed their curteous service on the Ritz platform. I'll never forget how the NY Times was on my door knob every day because a hotel employee overheard me talking about it. My kids believe vacation translates to tropical beaches. I think it'll be awhile before I see Alaska which is where I want to go.

Lexus wishlist - I still want that dirt eating glass. Maybe also an inside beeper when you hit 80mph. I had it in the mid 90's in PA. and it felt like 50mph. Luckily I didn't have to explain it to anyone. Flint - you better get that radar system working.
  • drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    I was having an annoying problem with my LS430 and the steering wheel motors. When they would retract they would vibrate and make an annoying noise. I told the dealer this when I brought it in for the 5K and then again for the 10K service. Each time they "lubed the motors". It did nothing but make it worse.

Interestingly enough, when I was at the dealer the other day to pickup a part I was chatting to the guy in the parts department about this problem. He asked if I had performed a "limits check" on the steering wheel. I had no idea what he was talking about and said no. He said that this usually fixes the problem. He gave me instruction on how to do this.... and it worked! No more vibration or noise. So for anyone else who is having this problem, here is how to perform the limits check:

With the key in, move the control knob on the wheel to the outer limit of any direction until it stops. Once it stops, click the control knob EIGHT times in the same direction. After the 8th time, the wheel will move 1/4 inch more. You have just set the limit for that direction. Repeat the same thing for the other three directions on the wheel.

I hope this information is useful. It sure made me a happier LS430 owner.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Thanks for the info. My steering wheel was starting to groan on retraction. I applied your information; no more groan.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • jarogjjarogj Member Posts: 16
    I have an interesting problem with my LS430. Every time I go over a speed bump or other similar upward bump in the road I can hear my shock absorbers in the front end compressing and making a noise. This is with very little speed mind you. It just a quick chucking sound, but it is a little surprising to hear this. It is noisey enough to hear in the cabin of the car. Anyway, I went to the dealer, they replaced it and it is still there. We even test drove two other cars. Same thing. Although some were worse than others. Anyone else out there experiencing this problem.