Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 2000 GS300 has this same problem. The first thing I did to try to over-come this was remove some of the "slack" in the throttle cable, eliminating most of the throttle foot feed movement needed before the throttle itself starts to move, and that was some help.

I finally gave up and just run the engine and transmission ECUs in "snow" mode, which eliminates the tip-in surging altogether.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    "I finally gave up and just run the engine and transmission ECUs in "snow" mode, which eliminates the tip-in surging altogether"

Me too. I bet that this post on Club Lexus would result in many 'fogey' or 'granny' comments.

A note to others: If you think that this isn't an issue, watch, out of the corner of your eye, your passenger's head bob when you initially accelerate.
  • mike3939mike3939 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input. I just bought the 98 LS400 today and pick it up tomorrow. I got a wonderful deal and am really psyched about driving such a world-class car.
  • cars26tampacars26tampa Member Posts: 5
    Anyone able to get a good deal on a Ultra Lux equipped in the Tampa area? I was told at Lexus of Tampa they were only selling at window sticker price. Thanks
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    Well I have just finished reading through all (2000+) of the posts in this group. I started reading back on October 1st when I picked up my new 2001 LS430. Since then I feel as if I have been in one of thos SF movies where time is accelerated. This may sound weird but a number of you regulars have shared a lot and I feel as if I know you to some extent. Very impresed with the intellectual quality of many of the posts. Also like the 'slightly' sarcastic humour.

I must confess that at times I felt like jumping in on many of the discussions but I felt it was best to wait.

My LS is the base model (Mystic sea - Ecru leather), no NAV, no ML stereo but still very very happy with it. I paid 49,900 here in Illinois. It was the last 2001 my dealer had. I would be interested in hearing if this sounds like a reasonable price.

I am coming from a 1996 ES300 that I have nothing but praise for. In April I started shopping for cars and included BMW 3s and 5s (thought 7s were out of my price range) They had great handling but couldn't live with the IMO stark interior. I didn't really consider an Infinity - negative stigma. I looked at the 2001 ES but it seemed too much like my '96. Almost bought a GS until I tried the new MB C320. I really liked the C and put down a deposit. It had a very nice ride, great interior & exterior, good price and good set of options.(Tried the E - liked it but interior was dull. S was out of price range) Then waited 5 months for delivery only to then be told I would have to wait another 1 or 2 !!! In the 5 months I waited I read the C boards and found out about all the problems (although the last time I looked they seemed to be getting most under control). What raelly put me off was the exceptionally poor dealer performance - Lexus has always been fantastic. MB dealer never called me, I always had to initiate. Then it took 2 -3 voice mails to get a response. I finally wrote to dealer and MB execs complaining about poor level of service and demanding deposit back. Got check (no other explanation) back in mail for deposit from dealer - never heard a word from MB execs.

So when the new ES came out I went for a test drive. VERY NICE WORK Lexus. But I saw this 2001 LS on the lot with 600 miles on it. Thought, before I put the money down on the ES I should at least eliminate the LS. After a testdrive I was hooked.

Hope you don't mind the long winded AUTO biography.

My questions:
    Around post 2045 (or 2097 ??) JS95 says he reconfiged his own door locks. JS95 could you share the steps. I have the shop manual for the '96 ES and it shows how to do this kind of thing but it doesn't work on the LS.

Someone much earlier mentioned the ALS on their radio displaying flashing ALS icons. I just have the base radio and it just shows the ALS letters on the display when it is on. I don't really notice any difference in volume if I open windows , etc and change ambient noise level. Is it likely the ALS is not working?

Considering paying money to join clublexus. Is more detailed tech help like above available there?

Thanks in advance
    Ed
  • dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    Any comments on the functionality / utility of this system vintage. Any advice on what a 98 with 44k is worth?

Thanks
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Considering purchasing a '98 CPO LS. Not sure about NAV - going back that far is the system DVD based and can I purchase an update to it? Is it as advanced as the system available on the '01 and '02? Thanks
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    Hey-

I think you made a great decision. The LS430 is a fantastic car. I helped my mom purchase a LS430 as a gift this past August. My dad helped a great deal in the actual purchase as well. I'm still a medical student, so no real need for a car, although I get to drive it when I'm back home for vacations.

Anyway, we paid about $52,000 (not including fees and tax) for an LS430 with the ML sound system only, and not usual package. So about $3800 off MSRP. So in my opinion you got a great deal on your car, especially if it hasn't been sitting on the lot. The only difference between the 2001 and 2002 is the addition of an exterior color. You have a beautiful car. Just expect that discount to resurface when you trade in or sell your car, since it's not the newer 2002. Enjoy.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Just so you know, the base wheels were changed from the 2001 LS to the 2002.
  • gtr49gtr49 Member Posts: 7
    I'm very interested in the LS 430, but it's an inch or two short on headroom for me (my head rubs the roof in my normal driving position - seat as low as it goes). Does anyone know of any options to lower seat or gain a bit more headroom? Dealer didn't know any options. Thanks for any help.
    Delete the sunroof, that is if you can find a dealer who will do so.
  • gtr49gtr49 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for sunroof suggestion but dealer said they are not available without sunroof.
    You should shop around. There are many base LS430s, which do not come with a sunroof. The sunroof is an option on the LS. However, if you decide to go with an option package, the sunroof is sometimes included. Just be careful of which options are absolutely necessary for you.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Dealer may claim you can't get one without a sunroof because THEY don't sell many of them. But they can ordered without one.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    mike3939 - the 98 LS400 is a great car; not bad in snow with the snow setting on. But the tires and their condition will be the determining factor. I know people with Audi quattro's that put snows on their cars because they say there is a big difference in how the Audi's handle snow when they have snow tires. The MB 4-matics don't fare well in the snow with the performance tires on either (excellent with snows though) from what I've been told. I hope you got your 98 LS400 with the Nakamichi as it's an exceptional stereo system. Great as a car as the 98 is though it's no match for the new LS430 which really upped the ante.

gtr49;pcbrs - I have never seen an LS400 or an LS430 without a sunroof. Never. I would think that since it is an option you could custom order it but I thought Lexus packaged it with other goodies so you may have to do without heated seats, maybe the memory system etc. if you go this route.

nealm1 - I think some people at BMW lost their minds with all the technology they tried to build into the new 7. It seems like you are going to need a manual to change a radio station with that Idrive from what I've read. All I want on the next Lexus from a technology standpoint is that dirt eating glass, a tire sensor and a PHONE. I do like Infiniti's camera idea as well - but for the suv's. On scopes - try telescope.com where there are many retailers. Woodland Hills who'll you'll find on that site usually discounts Celestron a bit and offers free shipping at times and of course you'll bypass the tax. Good luck.

My dishwasher saga - discovered that the European equivalents to appliances have the same first letters as the cars; Asko, Bosch and Miele. Interesting. I told my appliance repair guy I want the Lexus of dishwashers (very quiet and very reliable) and he steered me to KitchenAid. Hope he's right.
    Didn't I read that Sears now owns the factory and Kitchenaid brand?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    They make the Sears Kenmore brand which as a result is high rated. They also make whirlpool I believe. The one I bought cleans a lot better than the Miele I had.

Bitkahuna - football is awesome in HD. Why does CBS do college and not pro in HD? With BMW introducing TV's as an option for rear seat passengers will they be jumped by MB and Lexus with hdtv's for their next models? I think the technologists are running wild in these companies. Maybe the auto companies think it's a shareholder value thing. Now there's a term I haven't heard in a while.
    ljflx-Thanks for the info. There is lots of tread on the Dunlop all-seasons on the car; I figure that when the first significant snow hits, I'll see how I fares. If it struggles, I'll get new tires.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    My LS430 came with 16" wheels. Contemplating going to 17" wheels. Any comments pro or con?
  • js95js95 Member Posts: 2
    re: edarte's question on how the LS430 remote can open all 4 doors at the first click - actually I did not do this myself, it was done by the dealer at my request.

re: steering wheel retraction groan - I tried the 'limit' fix described here earlier, and it seems to help in that the groan occurs less frequently. But I understand now that there is a proper dealer fix, so I will get that done.

re: Nav system - I am delighted with it and it works great 99% of the time. One thing though - consistently, 100% of the time, when it gets to the destination, almost 50-100 yards *before* you actually arrive, it says 'your destination is on the right (left)' - is this what you all see - or do I have a calibration problem?

Nobody else reprogrammed any behavior on their LS430?
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    "... when it gets to the destination, almost 50-100 yards *before* you actually arrive, it says 'your destination is on the right (left)' - is this what you all see - or do I have a calibration problem?"

Mine does exactly the same thing. I guess that they have street numbers encoded by block but not by location within a block (if that makes sense).
    I donn't think it's a street number issue. I set My GS 430 Navigation system "Home" by GPS location, not address. It still tells me I've arrived ~100 yards before I get home.

Kinda startled my neighbors until I caught on.
  • canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    I live in British Columbia, Canada. I've asked a friend of mine [who 'runs' a car dealership] to search Washington State for an excellent condition 1993 LS400. I'm 90% sure I want one!! What I'd like to know is WHAT was 'optional' on that car?? In Canada - every LS400 came standard with EVERYTHING. There WERE no 'options'. BUT I know in the U.S. there WAS a 'base' model and you had to pay extra for 'things'. I understand the Nakimichi stereo was an 'option' along with traction control and memory seats. Were there OTHER options?? Did every '93 LS400 come with leather - for instance?? How about heated seats or a moonroof??

The reason I'm specifically looking for a '93 LS400 [other than for financial reasons] is because that was the first year for the passenger-side airbag and the 16" wheels. [along with some other significant improvements] I think even the Nakimichi stereo got a 'boost' in power. [is that 'right'??]

Is driving the LS400 like driving a Lincoln Town Car?? When people describe the ride as being 'like on a cloud' they don't mean it 'floats all over the place' - do they?? lol If you HAD to - could you PUSH an LS400 without feeling like your going to roll over??

I'd appreciate any help!!

Thanks!!
    Craig
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Try http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/lexus/ls400/4drstdsedan/standard.html?id=lin0062

And click on the various tabs for the info you want on U.S. options.

I appreciate the help!!

[This site - edmunds.com - is even MORE impressive - and informative - than I thought!!]

Thanks
    Craig!! :o)
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    I just have the base radio in my '01 LS430. I have read other posts on this board that make me suspect that my ALS is not working.

First, when I invoke it (by holding the ALS button until a beep) all I see on my LCD display are the letters ALS. Others have mentioned flashing Icons, etc. Is this on your Nav screen or should I be seeing something in addition to ALS on the basic radio?

Second, if I set the radio volume so it is just audible and then raise the ambiant noise level (e.g., open the windows) I do not hear any change in radio volume to compensate (thus I no longer hear the radio well above the outside noise). Does this suggest the ALS is not working? Is there something else I need to do to invoke ALS besides just holding the button until a beep?

TIA
    Ed
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    I think the ALS is just speed sensitive, not actually noise sensitive.
  • balderdashbalderdash Member Posts: 17
    Acknowledgment from Jeffmust2, wwest, and gschwartz, etc.Boy, am I excited! Last spring I posted on this forum my dissapointment with the "tip-in" phenomenon in my '99 LS400. There were one or two half-hearted responses in corroboration, but by and large I got the feeling that most owners were oblivious to this problem, which surprises the hell out of me because for a car that aspires to be one of the finest in the world, I would expect smooth, powerful response, including accelerator kick-down shifts, at all times. To be perfectly honest, and to acknowledge that the emperor is indeed naked, the '99 LS 400 was a dog when it came to that kind of smoothness. I had to jerk away from stop lights, and when making quick lane changes, jerk start and jerk stop, and the kick-down was accompanied by plenty of roar and then a belated surge of acceleration, and I say "belated", because it would happen a split second after it was needed. This was in no sense a "quick" car. My new LS 430 has greatly improved the tip-in problem ( I think they changed to an electronically controlled accelerator instead of a direct cable, but I don't really know the technical details) but the kick-down problem is still there. This is a stodgy vehicle when it comes to quick movements: lane changes, point-and-shoot maneuvers, etc. Maybe the car is just too heavy for the amount of power. I had a '94 ES 300, a lighter, much more responsive car, which really zipped. I admit I'm no expert. Even though I've owned about 45 cars in my life, most were low-enders that didn't evoke serious questions about performance, so I don't have a good basis for comparison. But although the LS 430 is an amazing car in many respects, let's face it guys, it's a pig when it comes to responsiveness!
    My experience is with the GS300. After doing as much as a shade tree mechanic could do to sort out this tip-in problem I have come to a couple of home-brewed conclusions.

IMHO the tip-in surge is the result of the engine ECU doing something to reconfigure the engine mechanicals, intake plenum volume, value timing, etc, just at the instant it senses an off-idle throttle movement. Whatever it does, it seems to "instantly" increase the engine's torque output.

The WOT delay you are experiencing in your LS is very likely directed related. I can readily understand that in "cruise" the engine mechanicals are more likely "tuned", adjusted, for maximum MPG rather than performance.

When you suddenly go from "cruise" to WOT it might take a few milliseconds to reconfigure the engine mechanicals to this mode, thus the delay in high output performance.

Mostly a guess, but.....
    WHAT model year the 'original' LS adopted the SC400's gear ratio's?? Thanks

Craig
    The LS isn't slow, but the transmission is PROGRAMMED to heavily bias toward smoothness and quietness rather than responsiveness. The transmission gets into 5th gear VERY quickly, which makes the car quiet, but not responsive.

On my GS400 I have 'e-shift' (steering wheel mounting shifting buttons), and so when I want to be more responsive I drive around (a lot) in M-4, meaning the car won't go into 5th gear. This makes a big difference in terms of responsiveness.

I'm sure the LS has a '4' gear setting. Try leaving it in that for a day. The car has so much power and flexibility, you won't even miss 5th gear unless you're driving REAL fast.
    If you are going to program the transmission toward smoothness during exceleration you had better start with programming, derating, the 300HP engine first, otherwise you will be leaving transmission parts here and there as you drive down the road.

SLOW as she goes...

Except WOT.

I would imagine the torque converter gets locked up at "cruise" regardless of which gear one might be in. To release this lock at WOT, without incurring a hard and loud "thud", takes a few milliseconds of engine "derating" (virtual stall) on the ECU's part.
  • trentpatrentpa Member Posts: 26
    The remote feature that allows you to open the windows and sunroof from your keychain is terrific, particularly when the car's in a hot parking lot. Does anyone know whether the car can be programmed to close the windows and sunroof remotely. Quite a few times, I've locked up the car only to realize that I left the sunroof open.
    I have been a bit surprised that I cannot find an ideal seating position in my 98 LS400. It is reasonably comfy, but does not seem to have quite enough under-thigh bolstering and quite comfortable enough back support (especially mid-back). Maybe I'm being too picky, but I trade in a 99 Toyota Solara that had a perfect driving position for me, and it bugs me that I need to use an external back cushion in a Lexus LS! Anyone else experience a similar problem and/or have any solution suggestions? Thanks.
  • balderdashbalderdash Member Posts: 17
    Thanks wwest and bitkahuna for your input. Very interesting and informative, and I'm sure your observations are right on.

In the '50's my mother owned a '56 Rambler.It had a six cylinder engine and a GM "dual" hydramatic trans. I loved to drive the car because a slight nudge of the accelerator would cause the tranny to downshift – very noticeably, but not too harshly – almost like a manual shift, and very responsive to to my toe on the accel pedal.

It seemed to give me pinpoint control and very quick acceleration when needed. As we all know, some cars respond much better to accel. downshifts, while others, like the LSs, are reluctant to kick down, and do so with a hesitation and a roar which is more noise than response.

I guess I want two basically incompatible qualities. I've never driven a big Bimmer, which those obnoxious people at Car and Driver and Road and Track always tout so highly. Would a 740 have the quickness, smoothness and quietness, all in one (expensive) package, that I seek?
    You seem to have two conflicting desires, luxury, smoothness and wheel-spinning acceleration.

Have you looked around for an LS430 hot rod "chip" (memory rom)(actually you would need two, one for the engine ECU and one for the tranx)?
    I also leave my car trans in 'power mode' ALL the time and highly recommend it. This makes the car more easily downshift.
    It's been a while since I did this, but I believe if you hold down the lock key for a few seconds, the windows will automatically close, as well as the doors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    That's the PANIC signal which blows the horn and blinks the lights.
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    I just bought a 2002 LS430 with Custom Luxury Selection. One problem consistently came up is to activate the voice command. Sometime it took several pushes on the button at the steering wheel before the green man icon showing up on the screen. Is still a common problem for others?
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    Actually it is by design to announce the designation shorthly before you are there. So you can then slow down and gradually stop. Otherwise you may pass the designation and have to make a U-turn. It works the same way when it announces the turning point.
    The verbal announcement comes before the turn but in my RX I find that there is a double "chime" at a turn, and unlike the "you have reached your destination" it is most often right at the intersection.

Sometimes I get the destination announcement along with the final turn announcement which can be quite some distance.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The LS 430 has won top honors in the "Large Luxury Sedan -- over $30,000" category. Follow the link on the left sidebar of this page to read the story.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • hage45hage45 Member Posts: 13
    I'VE HAD MY LS 430 SINCE APRIL AND IT IS EVERYTHING I HAD HOPED FOR. I HAVE 17" RIMS WITH SUMMER TIRES. WITHOUT GOING TO 16" RIMS, DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A GOOD WINTER TIRE. I HAVE LIKED BLIZZAKS IN THE PAST, BUT THEY DON'T MAKE A 225/55-17. THANKS
  • les8033les8033 Member Posts: 3
    Dunlop makes a winter sport m2 (I think) in the 225/55 17 size, about $174. Why noy go to 16" rims? Tires are $60 less and you can probably get rims at a decent price thru Tirerack.
  • les8033les8033 Member Posts: 3
    One other angle, I did the math, if you drive less than 20,000 miles per year, 16" tires and rims will probably be cheaper.
    Please stop SHOUTING.

Thanks
  • nelsonznelsonz Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 LS430 driver side windshield wiper does not sweep all the way to the left side of windshield (looking out), but stops about 3-4 inches from the side, leaving a good portion of view obstructed when the windshield gets dirty.

Dealer claims that this is the way all their cars operate, and that it is not adjustable. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Has anyone gotten it corrected? Seems hard to believe that such a problem was not corrected.
    has two adjustments, one at the pivot/drive point and another with the dynamic/position offset. I can't imagine why the dealer wouldn't fix this for you.

You may end up having to live with the wiper not quite parked (fully under the hood lip) but IMO that would be better than not swiping the windshield fully.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    They can be hard-wired by dealer to provide continuous power; this is very useful for plug-in cellphones that you want to keep fully charged even with engine off.