Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• yamahar6yamahar6 Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone notice a difference with the 17 inch tires? i mean, is it a stiffer, less supple ride with them? Do you think that the handling gain, steering response increase, if any is worth the ride cost, if any?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    For anyone not in the NY area today's Times had an absolutely amazing story about the events in the world trade center right after both jets crashed into them. It was pieced together via E-mails and phone calls and gives the most comprehensive view I've read about those who were trapped. It's a frightening story but it's also "must" reading.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Thanks ljflx, I read it online. The HBO show tonight is also supposed to be very good, if difficult to watch. I plan to try though.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    Plan to watch and tape as well. Without mentioning names I knew two of the Cantor Fitzgerald people they mentioned. I was wondering how they fared right afterward and had actually hoped they died via the smoke. I hope that is still the case but the reality, after reading that story, is that they probably didn't.
  • chapanschapans Member Posts: 4
    We recently purchases a LS430 with nav. My question is the DVD free, because my car did not come with it and the dealer did not give us any dvd. Do we have to update the dvd on a yearly basis? thanks much for any input for probably a silly question.
    Not a silly question. If you go back a few pages there has been a lot of discussion about the DVD updates. Here's a quick summary:
    1. New DVD for 2001 models just came out. Purchase at dealer, prices vary by location, shop around.
    2. New DVD for 2002 models due around October.
    3. Cost, range from approx $500-$800, including dealer installation. Here's the rip-off; some dealers charge up to 2 hrs. installation to pop the new DVD. Go back a few pages and there are instructions to do the installation yourself and save a few bucks.
    Hope this helps...
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    These cars seem to have problems with the power steering pumps,lines and gears. Most of them lose the LCD display on the HVAC system which is a rediculously expensive repair. Most dealers want $500 to replace with a refurbished unit and although the California company that will swap out your unit for $199-299 has been posted and the disassembly explained, I found this hard to do and gave up half way through when part of the ashtray gear snapped off. My 1990 LS has had these typical problems but is otherwise a great car at 145K. Although I replaced the power steering pump last year, I turned down the $1200 repair on the gears and line 2 months ago since all I hear is a little squeal when cold and I'm in the market to replace with am LS430. These older LS models are great cars and I wouldn't have kept it so long if I were not a satisfied customer. It still amazes me that I bring a 12 year old car with $7K value to the dealer and they hand me a $35K loaner for an oil change. They are just happy to get the opportunity to get the service business.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    jbianco12 gave a comprehensive answer for updates, but I read your post as saying you didn't get an initial DVD with the car. I got the then current nav DVD with the system, and I have never heard of anyone else not getting one with the system. Only the subsequent updates have been a subject for discussion. If you never got a DVD with the system and the dealer won't provide one, then call Lexus directly!
  • bongerbonger Member Posts: 16
    Rennybosch, I too have noticed the sun turning off the laser cruise control. I have also found that rather than the rain affecting the laser cruise, it's the speed of the wipers. If the wipers are running continuously rather than intermittently, in about 5 seconds the cruise will shut off.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Did anybody see the new BMW 7 Series was recalled?

15,000 cars were recalled to correct two possible software-related problems linked to the electronic systems that measure fuel levels and regulate the throttle.
    Cars are not meant to be as complex as BMW has made the 7. This one's easy (well if it's software maybe its not so easy) but wait to the real serious stuff starts to happen.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I have read the entire 2800+ posts and have taken the time to familiarize myself with many of the posters here, and hope that you will take time to help a newbie out.

I apologize for barging in, but as a new LS 400 owner, I was wondering if anyone (thanks jbianco12 for that wonderful summary in post #2859) can help me out on my Nav question.

I have a '99 LS with Nav that is June 1998 data. I certainly did not receive a CD or DVD from the dealer at purchase. Should I or could I still get this from the dealer ? More importantly for me, I am interested in updating to a more recent version, maybe the '01 ? Is this available for older LS models ? And is this only on DVD ?

Thanks for any help offered.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    Cruising up I-95 this weekend, I saw a Z-8. First I have seen. An absolutely gorgeous car. Makes the Z-3 look hormonal. Driven by a young woman who looked scared to death. I don't know if I could get used to looking to my right to see the speedo, but I do know that this car has a nearly perfect exterior design. Have any of you seen one on the road?
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    Car: 2001 LS430, sport suspension, 6500 miles. On occasion my steering column "groans" when it retracts. Of course it failed to "groan" during the 6 month service! Anybody with similar occurence? If so, any solutions? Thanks
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    Someone in my neck of the woods has a silver Z8. I see it once in awhile on the way in to my office. Several times on weekends, I have also spotted a Black Z8. Truly a gorgeous car!
    I had it for months (as did a number of others on the board) and they were groping for a solution. Finally, they found the problem at Lexus in Japan, and there is now a TSB on this problem. Talk to your service manager; he knows how to fix it. If he gives you problems, let me know and I will hunt up my receipt.
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2001 LS430. My steering wheel groan was fixed by the dealer about 8 months ago. They adjusted something in the steering column. Now I hear it coming back again.
    An adjustment is not going to do it. They adjusted mine a number of times, replaced the worm gear, did a number of different things trying to find a fix. But if you tell your service manager that there is a TSB on the issue, he will fix it. Promise. Got mine fixed 6 mos ago and haven't heard peep out of it since.
    I had the TSB fix and as of now the noise is gone. It had gone away by itself just before it was fixed. The service manager recommended I go ahead with the TSB because "It will be back when it gets warm again", so apparently it can be affected by temperature. This may mean it will be a recurring topic here now that summer is almost upon us.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I believe that the NAV on your 99 LS400 is the same as on the '98. If so, you will not get a DVD or CD as all of the data is on a 1.8 g hard drive. There were 3 free updates for that system.
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    Is this just something I have to live with or is there a fix. Now that is is getting warm (85+) when I start up the car after it has been sitting in sun the wipers are set off. They continue to be triggered until the car cools down.

Is there a solution to this (e.g., turn down sensitivity?)
    Thanks,
    Ed
    You and I may be the only people on this board with the 2001 model who have yet to experience the infamous groan. My biggest problem remains the cd's sloshing around. One other thing that has bugged me lately is the difference in the cupholders of the LX470 and the LS430. On the truck you can adjust the size so my Poland Spring water stays perfect. The car doesn't have that adjuster. Such problems.

Edarte - maybe it detects bugs splat or tree sap?
    I was told there wasn't by the service department. They suggested I leave them off in the summer, and just put them on auto when there was some rain or mist.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    appreciate the info.
  • drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    When I was at the dealer getting my DVD update, the service manager asked if I was having the problem with the wipers going off when it gets hot. I said "YES!" I have had that happen since day one (living in Los Angeles it does get quite hot). He told me there is a new replacement sensor and that he would order one for me. So, if you are having the "ghost wiper problem", ask your service department to order the replacement sensor.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Yep, I have never experienced the groan either. Nor have I had any service issues. My issues are all with design (cell phone) and DVD update cost vs. free. If possible, I would also like a little more extension on the steering wheel. I sit with the seat way back for leg comfort, but the steering wheel seems a little too far forward for me. Maybe I just have long legs and short arms.
    To: drcomputer
    Do you know if the wiper problem is just an 01 problem or does it extent to the 02 model? I have an 02 and usually keep the wipers in the off position (given that it hardly ever rains in beautiful So Cal), so I haven't noticed the ghost wipe issue. If the problem extends to the 02 model, I'll ask the dealer order me a replacement sensor too. Thanks!
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    My 02 doesn't have ghost wiper problem. The groan problem was fixed by lossening up the shaft holder. I do have the same complaint as flint350 that I wish they design with longer extension for the steering wheel. I am 6' 2" with the seat moved all the way back but the steering wheel is a little bit short.
    I know what you mean about the steering wheel. I think it's designed that way as a safety feature in case the air bags deploy. You don't want those things going off if you're too close.
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    drcomputer:
    That sensor replacement info is much appreciated.
    Thanks
  • yamahar6yamahar6 Member Posts: 23
    Actually, I am pretty sure that the LS430 does have the adjuster; do you mean something to prevent tall containers from falling over or just for width, like so it can fit a coke can or a 1 litre bottle?

I am quite sure that the LS has the width ratchet adjusters; mind you, i live in Canada so its possible that a few detail options could be different. ... I just checked and it has width expanders but not a ratched, but an improvement from the last LS, that just had "one size fits all" cupholders.

But I rarely "drink and drive" so they don't really bother me. :>)
    You are correct, the LS430's have cup holder adjusters for width but not height. They hold a can of soda or any size Starbucks coffee quite nicely.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the tips on the color. Finally saw an LX470 and the LS 400 in the color. The LS looks fantastic in the color. The LX470 looks a lot greener I guess since it is offset by the gray cladding. So, going with something else. Again, thanks for the input.
    On the LX470 the arm bends inward so that it holds a narrower bottle, cup or can more tightly. On the LS430 the flex seems only to bend outward or am I missing something.

ect power switch - do most of you only use it when needed or do you tend to ride around with it always on?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    On my 00 GS300 I leave it in snow to avoid the forward surge at throttle dip-in.
  • trentpatrentpa Member Posts: 26
    I leave the "power" switch on when in stop-and-go driving (provides for quicker pickups and downshifts) but off on trips. Never used it in snow mode (wwest's comments make sense), but will give it a try tonight.
  • jbrauniljbraunil Member Posts: 3
    to: Rkim7102

I'm shopping for a 430 now. What was the dealer you used in Chicago?
  • stlouisslimstlouisslim Member Posts: 21
    Just "ordered" my first Lexus yesterday, an LS430 Custom Luxury for $59,730. Everything the dealer has on his lot is "pre-sold" so he will have to search around for one. I gave him several choices in color/trim combinations to look for. I also told him that I needed it in three weeks to take on vacation. What's the chance he'll be able to find something within this time frame? I live near St. Louis. Also, since I'm currently driving a Toyota, I asked him for a $1000 "Customer Loyalty Rebate". He told me those were only good for the RX300. Did I get ripped on the rebate? This is a Lexus Elite Dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone with a Euro put the new Yokohama db tires on to replace the Dunlaps or do they not come in the exact same size? I was going to use the Bridgestone tires talked about in this forum, but someone said that they no longer make the Revo or the Pole Position or the Taurenza in any good replacement model? I may stay with the Dunlaps, since I have 25,000 mi. on them with maybe 3,000 to 5,000 more miles left (4/32ths left from 10/32ths to start). I have been pleased with them overall, but I am always looking for a quieter, better riding, longer lasting, less expensive tire. Also, when I looked at tirerack.com, I saw slight differences in width of tire which on other possible replacement tires may cause me to put air in the tires more often? Is this true?

My mechanic explained that the $75.00 brake sensors (one on the right front and one on the right rear) are further out from the rotors than in the past, since too many people were going too many miles past when the warning light came on, so there may be as much as 2 milimeters of "safe" wear after the sensor light comes on. But, if you risk damaging the very expensive rotors, you will have to put up with seeing the warning light on all the time. My "lite brake foot" is getting about 1 milimeter of pad wear per 5,000 miles. Has anyone gone beyond the warning light coming on? If so, how many miles, and was there any damage to the rotors? I understand that the rear brakes don't last like my 1990 LS 400 rear pads do. I was told that there are 4 pistons on the front brakes, and less on the rear. Therefore the rear pads are smaller and have less pad to wear down. Has anyone else been told this? Thanks in advance.
    Edmunds just provided a link to the TSB page at NTSA, and this is the data there for the "groan" TSB. A number of other TSBs on the LS; it is worth a look.

Make: LEXUS Model: LS430 Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: ST00301 Bulletin Sequence Number: 627 Date of Bulletin: 09/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB627076
    Component: STEERING:COLUMN
  • johng14johng14 Member Posts: 31
    Can someone help me on how to keep the temperature control on without having the fan turned on. I will like to increase or decrease the temperature without turning on the climate control.
    I assume you wish to use the cabi air flow-through aspects of the system rather than having the fan "force" the flow.

You could simply use the blower speed control to reduce its speed to zero, or very close thereof.

BUT...

Many new cars, especially Lexus, keep their MPG rating up by severely reducing the level of atmospheric "outflow" at the rear of the car. If there is no, or minimum outflow, then the already "conditioned" atmosphere remains within the cabin for a longer period thus reducing the cycling rate of the A/C compressor (5 to 7HP).
  • johng14johng14 Member Posts: 31
    If I set the speed to zero the temperature for driver and passenger also turns off.
    Hadn't noticed that but my guess would be that Lexus/Denso engineers know that the temperature control aspects of the system would be non-functional (not enough "natural" cabin flow-through) and chose this method of preventing you from attempting to use this mode.

Are you trying to do this becuase the blower noise is irritating and/or distracting?

I installed four small 12 volt "muffin" fans in the left and right rear quarter panels of my 92 LS for use as atmospheric "extraction" fans for an entirely different reason. You could do the same and just disconnect, remove the fuse, the system blower.
  • eadlueadlu Member Posts: 13
    I own a 2002 LS 430 with the Euro suspension and it came with Dunlap 2800 Sport tires which have a wear rating of 360. This particular tire may be new for this year Tirerack.com has them listed at $230. or a bit more. I perceive them as being quiet running except on rough surfaces where I think any tire would be noisy. If this is a different tire than you have it may be worth your time to drive a demo with those tires. I am encouraged that you will probably get over 30000 miles on your tires. I am not an aggressive driver so maybe I will do as well. As for the brake pads I would never take a chance of damaging the rotors just to get a couple of thousand more miles on the pads.
  • slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the response, eadlu. My Dunlops are the SP 270's with the same wear rating and probably about the same price on tirerack.com. It may be the same tire with a new name? But, the Bridgestones may get more than 30K mi.(Revo's were rated for 40,000 mil.) and cost about $180 which means a $200 savings on four tires.

I also would not take a chance on damaging the rotors, but at an extra 10,000 mi. (5,000 per one milimeter), and then I was told there are still 2 milimeters before you get to the rotors, it may pay to go for awhile after the warning light comes on? In other words there are about 4 milimeters of pad wear from the time the light comes on till you hit the rotor. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
  • eadlueadlu Member Posts: 13
    Sorry-my tires are 270's too. I guess I was having a "senior moment" when I typed post 2900.