Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    My hope and speculation is that we are looking at model year 2006. Lexus has said it wants to adopt a family look and it makes sense to do so sooner rather than later. Also, I see hybrid powertrains as being a key differentiator so it makes sense to get that on as many models as soon as possible, and it is logical to do it in an all new LS (it starts with the RX in 2004 I think). All the hybrids should be inherently AWD, since there are electric motors on all 4 wheels...possibly, we will not see a gasoline-only AWD LS. So, sv7887, if you are like me and buy rather than lease, and don't buy that often, there might well be alot in store with the next gen LS and it may be worth the wait.
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    ljflk-I am also wondering about the lack of any mention of lexus link in the '04 brochure, however, could the antenna be related to the nav. option?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Go to Lexus-Europe.com and you will see the antenna on the european LS430
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Maybe. I don't remember that antenna on pre-2001 cars so I just assumed it was tied to Lexus link which came out in 2001. The nav system has been around since the 90's so does anyone have a 2000 or earlier car with the nav and does it have that short antenna at the end of the roof?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The antenna on the LS was for Lexus Link, although I'm pretty sure all LSs had them whether they had this feature or not. It has nothing to do with the nav. Older Lexus models with nav do not have any type of antenna. Neither do current models with nav. And the antenna on the current RX 330 is for the radio since Lexus could not fit all of the glass-mounted dual antenna into the RX's small triangular side windows.

It is odd Lexus Link is not mentioned in the brochure - great catch by ljflx.
  • dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    Link is gone for 04. Per dealer contact.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Didn't I read soemwhile that it used the old analog cell type which is now virtually obsolete???
    You're right - I've never seen a 2001 or later without that antenna and never saw a 2000 or earlier with it. Bluetooth is supposed to enable you to use your existing cell phone hands free. So maybe that function renders Lexus link obsolete. Now I'm wondering if my salesman thought I was referring to homelink rather than Lexus link. I'll have to call him back. Still - why do many of the pictures in the brochure show the antenna while a few do not?

wwest - is soemwhile a new word - even if you correcet the placement of the first e. Just kidding. By the way you said the Turanzas are the quietest tires but is it the summer ones or the all seaon?
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    The detailed 2004 LS information that I downloaded from the Toyota website doens't mention Lexus Link as a feature or option. The information is dated August 15, 2003. I downloaded the PDF file. Here is a link: http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =2004ls430_s
    I think all photos of the LS in the 2004 brochure have the antenna. I'm going off memory since I don't have the brochure in front of me, but I think you don't see the antenna in some of the pictures because of the angle of the car. Even though you can't see it I would think it is still there. That's my guess.
  • tturedraidertturedraider Member Posts: 159
    Hi. I don't keep up with the LS in great detail and I know nothing about Lexus Link, but I think I have a pretty good idea what that antenna is for. It is probably the GPS antenna for the navigation system and the antenna for satellite radio and the antenna for Bluetooth.

I'm also not up on Bluetooth, but on the Acura website I learned a little about it. As stated previously here, it allows you to connect your Bluetooth enabled phone wirelessly in the car. In the new Acura TL, and I'm sure the LS is just as good, the phone can be anywhere in the car. When a call comes in the Bluetooth audio system allows you to answer it just by speaking. And you can dial by voice, too. Again, in the Acura there is a built in microphone incorporated into the headliner.
    I never run anything but if I can help it.
    The antenna is for Lexus Link, at least that was its original design. Lexus Link is actually OnStar, which enables you to get help or information by talking to a person live (there is a monthly service fee).

It is not for GPS; you'll note no other Lexus vehicles with GPS have an antenna. It is also not for satellite radio and Bluetooth as those are new for 2004 and the LS has had the antenna for three years now (at least it hasn't been).
    Edmunds has a TMV on the 2004 LS430 for my zipcode that is about $200 under sticker price. Unfortunately the car is not even available for sale and doesn't even arrive until Friday the 26th at the only dealership in the zipcode. So how on earth is Edmunds getting sales data?? If you visit the site you'll see they also don't know the options pricing yet.
    ...now has info up on the 2004 LS. I noticed that Lexus Link is still offered.
    took them long enough.....I checked about three hours ago and was surprised they hadn't put anything up yet. I saw a commercial for the '04 about an hour ago.
    tturedraider - If you click on building one you end up building a 2003.

syswei - I'm still missing it. What section did you see it in?
    Well, apparently while I was browsing, parts of the site hadn't yet been updated. When I clicked an hour ago on under the 2004 LS "price/options", Lexus Link was definitely offered as part of the Ultra pkg and also offered at the bottom as a separate option. Now, it isn't. Also, I think the Ultra was over $12k before, now its under $12k. Also, Pre-Collision appears now, didn't before. So parts of the site were still carrying 2003 info, I guess, but no longer.
    ljflx - well all the info is for the 2004, but I get the same thing when I go to "Build" - a 2003. They must not have this ready yet.
    I think it's gone. It's definitely omitted from the 2004 brochure. I'll find out tommorrow as I need to call my salesman as a friend of mine is going in to shop a GX470 and I want him to give him a good deal. It is not listed as an option in the 2004 LX brochure but it was listed in the 2003 LX brochure as I have both. On the website though, it is still listed as part of the 2004 GX470 high-end option packages. If it is gone - and it's no big deal if it is as I'd trade it for bluetooth any day of the week - my curiosity is why is the antenna still there? Perhaps that antenna picks up satellite radio but then how is satellite being put in older less luxury oriented cars at places like Best Buy? Lenscap is right - it's on every car pictured in the brochure, or if you don't see it the reason is the angle the car was photographed in. I don't think you need that antenna for satellite radio and it is definitely not needed for the navigation system.
    You do need that type of antenna for satellite radio. If you check the Best Buy and/or Circuit City websites you will see various aftermarket satellite antennas for sale. Many are paintable so they can be painted to match the car.

Start noticing GM brand trucks, just above the windshield in front of the driver's head. Many of them have that type antenna and it is for satellite radio.
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    My guess is that the antenna is still Lexus link. 2004 info is still not as air-tight as it can be. Who knows ? Maybe Lexus got the European version of the '04 LS430 and its US counterpart all mixed up. As are the combination trims - sport, custom lux, and UL. My dealership still have difficulty explaining the combinations to me when I asked. Of course, their excuse was they had no brochure for the car (as of 09/15). I'll check back later to see what I can gather on the antenna on the '04.

If it helps, my '99 has a Nav but has no antenna.
    Ok -here is the scoop I got on this and it corroborates what a poster said earlier about very low renewals of the service after the first year. Lexus link is only being equipped on the ultra models. But buyers of other models will have the opprtunity to have Lexus link installed by the dealer. That will be the case - at least at the onset of the model year. Lexus does believe that bluetooth will render Lexus link obsolete. The two benefits that go away with Lexus link - in my mind - are the ability to track your car if it is stolen and the ability of someone to call authorities if you have a serious accident and can't do so yourself. Oh yeah I guess also the ability to unlock your doors in the unlikely event that you lock yourself out of the car. Bluetooth - from the little I have read about it gives you the ability to call anyone programmed into your cell phone via voice activation. So for all intent and purposes it replaces the Lexus link button in case of emergency plus it gives you complete handsfree operation which is what everyone on the board in 2001 and 2002 wanted so badly. As I said yesterday - it's a good tradeoff and Lexus is still giving the market a chance to speak up about Lexus link one last time. The link message never bothered me but for those who hated it maybe that's another benefit.
  • elrayls430elrayls430 Member Posts: 10
    Went to my dealer this morning to get 5k service for my 03LS. Saw 6 2004 LS430s. All had familiar little rubber antennae--- 3 had Lexus Link and three did not. Just an empirical observation to add to this discussion. I pulled up next to an 04 and spent 15 minutes noting the differences and similarities. Slightly different arch to headlight housing; white stripe on tail lights; chrome exhaust tips. Otherwise, cars seem identical outside. Interior shows modified shifter gate, otherwise identical.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    They are playing the new LS commercials twice every hour on CNBC. Must be the same AD firm, as the "look and feel" seems the same as in the last few years.

They are still using the silver/ecru combo for the TV ads. Very conservative and understated.
    and maybe others here, check post 2910 on the high end board: sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Sep 25, 2003 11:44pm ..."A newspaper reporter is looking to interview BMW and Lexus owners who previously owned or have considered owning a Mercedes-Benz"...contact info is in the post
    Has anyone ever checked this site for pricing data or perhaps ordered from them - on any Lexus vehicle? They apparently will be adding BMW and MB in the future under their names of course. Supposedly they drop the car off on your driveway.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    For the past 5 days i have been bidding on a '90
    Lexus LS 400 with 90K miles on ebay.
    It was a beautifully cared for car with grey glossy paint and the darker grey interior.

Yesterday I had bid it up to $6300.
    1:07 secs. before the bid period was over 2 other people bid and it finished at $6605.
    Judging from the page views at the end of the
    bid I knew there were at least 2 other people viewing the auction, but I held my ground and stayed with my earlier bid.
    just didn't feel comfortable going any higher.
    Will try again soon.
    I paid $6500 (autotrader) for a 150k mile 92 LS400, Black/ivory, back in May, flew down to Tucson and drove it home to Seattle. Owner had just replaced timing belt and water pump.

It needed new struts, $330 at sears, rear brake pads, $100 brake fluid flush and another $100 to change out refrigerant.

I shipped the A/C control head off and had the LCD display replaced, $200.

Running fine.
    I probably should have gone to $6800 on this
    car but that is no guarantee that I would have gotten it.
    This was a no reserve auction and ebay only bids
    as much as it needs to get you the car.
    In other words, 1 of the 2 other bidders could have posted a max bid of 7K.
    No use crying over spilt milk. There will be another one.
    Here is the car I was bidding on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2433769975

Retail on it was $7800.
    Hi. You might want to check some of the internet proxy bidding services that will place your bid automatically seconds before an auction ends. Three I know of are AuctionSniper, Bidnapper, Phantombidder. Do an internet search using something like "bidding services" and you'll get a lot of results. They charge a very small fee for the service. And most give a free trial period. They also cap the fee they charge so it's not unreasonable for a car. Maybe as much as $50, but I think more likely $25 or less.

I have used all three of these and they are very handy. You don't even have to be around when the auction ends because it's all automated. It allows you to keep from getting into a bidding war and running up the price. You just go the the proxy site and set up your max bid. They bid it automatically just before the auction ends, usually something like 8,7,6,5 seconds. However, they do not give an absolute guarantee they'll be the last bid placed. Occasionally, at times when Ebay's traffic is really high, your bid may not make it in before the auction ends. But, they allow you to choose how many seconds before the auction ends so you can compensate for heavy trading times. They say Sunday afternoons and evenings are the busiest.

I haven't used them for to buy a car, but I would. I'm pretty sure they all handle car purchases.
    Even though this was my first time bidding, I knew I was going to be outbid.
    I was going back and forth reloading the page to check and see if someone else had bid.
    I did this constantly for the last hour of the bid.
    Everytime I did it, the page had been loaded 3-4 more times. Which means 2 or 3 people were watching the bid.
    This was all happening at 11pm EST.
    So there were some serious bidders there.
    I am looking forward to owning a LS400.
    I want one bad.
    Yeah, that's usually the way it is right at the end. If you find one you want go check those bidding services. They probably will be your best shot at making sure you win. If it's not a peak time that the auction ends (it usually isn't with cars) they can put in the bid 4 or 5 seconds before the end. They call it "sniping" (notice the names) because it's almost impossible for anyone to get a bid in after yours. You may already know all that. I have won quite a few bids with those services and saved money, because the bid doesn't get run up.

That is a nice LS400. Oh, I guess I should tell you, I actually bought my GS300 off of Ebay. It's in exceptional condition. You can contact the seller "directly" through Ebay and the seller can close the auction early if he or she is willing to accept your offer. That's what I did. We agreed on the price and he ended the auction about 30 minutes early. That could be an even better way than using a bidding service. My dad and I bid on a '96 Infiniti G20 with only 10,000 miles. It belonged to a doctor's wife who rarely drove. It was in showroom condition. But, I was bidding manually (on dial-up. have dsl now!) and we were out bid at the last minute. If I had known about and used a proxy bidding service we probably would have won.
    Anyone see Clements (Lexus US head) comments at the opening of the Canadian factory about Lexus supply and production. He said Lexus would be able to sell 300k vehicles in 2004 if it had the capacity to produce that many. Most cars and suv's are on a five day supply - the lowest ever. When I was at my dealership this week the lot was about 25% filled (including the cars driven by sales people) and I was told just about all incoming LS430's for the first month are already spoken for. There were no leftover 2003 LS430's or LX470's around. I didn't inquire about other models.
    I didn't see the Clements quote but I remember Lexus saying in the past that they will throttle back on production rather than resort to incentives to move vehicles...which can explain low days supply without necessarily implying high demand. Overall sales are down YTD for each and every sedan they sell, whereas in SUVs the RX and of course GX are up, and the LX down a bit. While where they are in the lifecycle of each vehicle has something to do with it, I think they are probably disappointed with their overall performance in sedans this year. The figures are on autosite under 'market report'.
    The IS and GS sales are weak. They need new models and I don't know why they are taking so long to bring out the new GS. 2006 is way too long a stretch for the current model. They will sell 25-30k LS cars this year pretty easily. Demand seems to be nearly as strong as it was in 2001. The ES is always a big seller. Clements pretty much said they are tapped out on production so they may be managing inventory (5 sales days is too low in my book) but they also have a method to shift production into what is moving well.
    Wish GM would throttle back on production.
    Lost another '90 Lexus on ebay.
    This one only had 77K miles.
    About perfect.

Threw a $7508 bid in the last few minutes. Another guy responded with a $7999.99 bid and then threw a $8100 bid at it for good measure.
    Still didn't meet the seller's reserve. He would be foolish not to take $8100 for that car.
  • bapperbapper Member Posts: 1
    MY MOTHER IS CONSIDERING PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE BUT FRIENDS AND OTHER SMALLER MODEL LEXUS OWNERS ARE TELLING HER THAT THIS CAR HANDLES VERY POORLY IN SNOW. CAN THOSE OF YOU IN COLD CLIMATES, WHERE SNOW REMOVAL IS SLOW TO OCCUR, COMMENT ON YOUR EXPERIENCE. (QUESTIONING HANDLING IN 1 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW!)

THANKS,

BERNIE
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    The LS430 is not a snow mobile. If mom needs one, please go with the RX330 or any of the other 4 wheel drive Lexus.
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    not nice to write in caps (shouting)!

LS is a RWD car and not the most ideal on snow. With proper snow tires/chains, it should be fine. If you need a snow-capable vehicle, get a AWD or 4x4 SUV/truck.

Good luck with your mum's car search.
    I live in CT and even with an awd RX300 I have sometimes slipped around a bit. I have also seen fwd cars including an E320 have trouble on a hill leading up to a traffic light...he had to stop for the light and then when he got a green he couldn't go up...had to make a u...the hill isn't even that steep. My advice is get awd and if you're especially concerned then if it has more sedan-oriented tires, like the RX, then replace with something like the Michelin CrossTerrain SUV tires (which I put on my LX).
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Bapper,
      Both my LS430 and LS400 are fine in the New England weather. Granted, I don't drive the 430 with the summer tires, but simply investing in a set of 4 snow tires ought to take care of that. I honestly think this notion of Luxury cars performing poorly in the snow is a myth.

After all, how did you think people in the 1950's and 60's drove in the snow? Having lived in NE for over 20 years, I feel that getting an 4WD vehicle just for the winter weather is pure nonsense. I don't even have Snow's on the LS400, just Michelin MXV4 tires. It does skid somewhat on unplowed roads, but I have never been stranded. (I live in a Hilly area). Don't let the weather detract you from buying a great car.

SV
    When FWD didn't exist and we all (those of us that HAD to get around) carried snowchains and knew how to install them?

It isn't just the snow that will be a problem, it's the idiots with 4WD that in the process of proving the vehicle's ability forget that the driver is the primary portion of the equation.

If we could get everyone to drive sensibly, and well, in adverse roadbed conditions then I wouldn't hesitate taking an LS430 out.

But.

If you can stay in, DO.

If you are caught OUT, go home.

If you have rear bias 4WD, have snowchains on board.
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    On 9/30 Lexus dealer performed service bulletin repair to correct steering column groan noise on on my 01 LS 430. 27k miles on car. This am 10/1 heard unidentified noise 5 minutes after leaving my garage. Sounded like a fan. Seemed to come from under gear shift lever. Lever resistant to move from reverse to park. Lever had slight shimmy. Returned to dealer with noise continuing. Dealer road tested with no noise. I road tested with Lexus tech with no noise. Advised to return to dealer if noise returns.
    Any ideas on what the problem may be? Will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I had a harrowing experience with my 1990 LS doing a 360 degree spin on a highway in light snow while I was doing 45 mph. It was amazing no one hit me and I recovered control of the vehicle. I went out and bought Bridgestone Blizzaks and used them for years. Even in the flat midwest, I would strongly encourage others to buy snows for this vehicle. Since I never bought a second set of wheels I had to do a change over/balance twice a year but my tire place threw that in when I paid a some b.s. $80 tire protection fee at time of purchase. Boy they lost money on that deal after 5 years and 10 sets of tire changes!
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    My mother (89 years old) has a white/ivory 90 LS 400. The car has about 14,500 miles on it. The car spends most of its life inside a locked garage in Los Angeles Ca. This car looks like new. Even the floor mats have never had a foot on them. Put rubber mats over the Lexus mats before driving it home. The passenger seat probably has been sat in for only maybe about 200 to 300 miles. I am not sure if anyone has ever rode in the rear seat. The car still smells new inside. Still has the factory Goodyear tires. No door dings or dents. What is this car worth? It is serial #516. No, there has never been any smoking in the car. The seats and carpet look new. I need a true value of this car. It is not for sale unless I decide to get her a new one. Skip
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Sorry I can't answer your question, but I wonder if this car may be worth keeping. Not too many Japanese cars have entered the "classic" realm, but I would think your example has a good chance at it, if it hasn't already. This model marked the first serious challenge to the Germans in the luxury car segment, and forever changed the competitive landscape, so I have to believe this has serious implications for the long-term value of '90 models that are in pristine condition. I know that there are many huge fans of the original LS400, and I doubt that there are many better examples than your mother's to be found anywhere. I would be very hesitant to sell it right now, unless you know for sure you would be getting top dollar (which probably explains why you are asking here - you already know what I just said).

Good luck.
    you are of course aware that not having done another 360 in the intervening years might just be due to pure dumb luck rather than the Blizzaks??

That slippery lightly snow covered bridge deck is still out there somewhere awaiting your unwary arrival.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you repost your message in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion, the folks there will be glad to help you assess the car.

Good luck.